The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Ba Sing Se VI

ailin
Aug 6, 2010 20:57:02 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Aug 6, 2010 20:57:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: Love that last post, Shio! And yay, Yulan's gonna know some sweet Kyoshi Warrior moves yet. :))

Lower Ring - Underground HQ

Fighting was an art that presented itself in only two ways: fast and mind-numbingly slow. As Suki threw her punch, she felt her weight go forward, knowing it was what everyone normally did during the action and knowing that it was a recipe for disaster. Yulan did her part extremely well for her first try, moving to the side and pulling the young Kyoshi Warrior forward even more, allowing her own throat to go against the fan that had been lent out.

"Excellent! I think you have a natural knack for redirecting."

Yulan released Suki's elbow and both girls moved back a pace, ready for the whatever came next. Redirecting was easy enough...and the wooden sword Yulan brought with her meant one could only assume she had some proficiency with it. In length and shape it was very similar to the katana that most Kyoshi Warriors used in addition to their fans. Rounding out her swordplay knowledge would be good to tackle, but perhaps going for what she knew the least about first would be best. Take some of the big pieces out first and then use the momentum to roll along.

The Kyoshi Warrior clapped her hands together. "Right! Let's do some basic fan movements since you have a solid grasp of the underlying philosophy." She took out her fan and took a right lead stance. "We'll go through this small set of moves to get a feeling for handling the fan. Once you've gotten the hang of the single fan, I'll have you practice with both of mine."

She explained as she moved in slow motion first, going through each move individually. Holding the fan closed in the right hand, Suki shuffled forward and stabbed forward, saying that the strike was a poke to the opponent's eye to blur their vision. She then opened the fan and sliced down in a right diagonal, explaining that the fan's sharp edge could damage a non-armored combatant.

"A bender, for instance, is usually less likely to wear armor to battle, assuming their prowess with their element is enough to keep opponents at a distance. This doesn't hold true for some Fire Nation soldiers, but the newest recruits don't have as much armor on. Sometimes just a helmet and pauldrons," Suki added.

The warrior continued by bringing the fan back up in a more vertical slice while sliding another step forward. This move, she related, was to go across the opponent's exposed neck. As with most martial arts, all groups of movements were meant to lead to a killing blow; this set was no different. It was a fairly simple three strike set, but Suki's thoughts went back to the wooden sword leaning against the dust covered wall. If that was the weapon of choice for the girl with her, would she be willing to learn these sort of techniques?

Suki coughed and offered a nervous smile. "But, just because you learn these moves doesn't mean you need to go for the last blow. Part of the way of the Kyoshi Warrior is understanding your opponent, their energy, their movement, and their abilities. Most of the time, death is not a necessity and disabling an opponent will serve just as well. Many of these moves will do that, eliminating the need for you to even use the last strike."

From her peripheral vision, Suki notice movement at the other end of the alley where Long Feng had been instructing the Earth Kingdom soldier. She ignored it for a moment, writing it off as more practice on their end, but when the movement and colors became larger in her vision, she turned and saw Long Feng approach and ask for a moment of her time. She gave him a polite smile; of course he needed an answer for what he had proposed earlier.

She held up a finger to Yulan. "Excuse me for just one moment. If you feel confident enough, practice that set while I speak with Long Feng and we'll take a look at what you're doing in a minute. If not, I can go over it again when I'm done. This shouldn't take long."

Suki turned to Long Feng and gave him a short half-bow of greeting. "I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to answer you earlier, Long Feng. I think you had a good idea. We need a lot in the way of resources, and if there is anything you're able to get for us, it would be greatly welcomed. Just be careful. I know you don't need me telling you that, but...I just don't want anything bad happening to you so soon after your escape from prison. I'm sure you'll be able to take care of whatever might occur. Good luck."

With that said, the former grand secretariat bowed his head in acknowledgment and returned to his student as Suki felt it necessary to return to hers. Before she did, she noticed another person step out into the alley, Mahone and speak with Long Feng for a few moments. Maybe he would get some more useful tinctures from her for his mission, like...Suki paused to think of what sort of chemical might be useful against stone to work through the structures of where he was heading or the dreaded agents he ideally would evade. Or perhaps something to make his clothing more heat resistant from the hothead soldiers. Was that possible or just wishful thinking on her part? Probably the latter.

Suki shook her head and turned back to Yulan, smiling. "Anyway, sorry for the interruption. Shall we continue?"
This user is a guest
kong
Aug 7, 2010 11:53:25 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 7, 2010 11:53:25 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

"I'm sixteen; just a year younger than you," were all that Kong would say for now. These were not the sorts of questions she had intended to be asked during this session, but somehow things had changed. Yes. Between the library found in the Middle Ring to her own home in the Upper Ring, Shi Yang's intentions had completely changed. She didn't want to just know more about the Northern Water Tribe... she wanted to know more about Tenshio.

"So, where did you learn your Water bending? Were you self-taught, or did you have a master or anything? I'm curious, because I've had to learn my Earth bending all on my own, for the most part, and you seem so much more at ease with your element that I do," was what the young Earth bender had calmly said next, sipping from her dainty porcelain tea cup. She was trying to read his emotions as they sat next to one another - trying to pick up on the pace of his heartbeat. She couldn't seem to pick up a read on it. She felt it, though, and that meant he was alive... that was a good sign. First it was fast, and then slow, and then sporadic, and then slow again. It was confusing her just trying to hone in on it, let alone read it. If Tenshio could just tell her what he was really feeling while sitting beside her, it would certainly save her the trouble of trying to read him.

Reading text books was easier than reading people.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 7, 2010 13:29:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 7, 2010 13:29:24 GMT -6

Upper Ring

So Kong was sixteen, only a year younger than him. That was a little surprising; for some reason he had expected her to be younger. Oh well, it really didn’t matter how old the girl was. It was just nice to know. As Tenshio waited for the next question—next of many, he was guessing—he poured himself a cup of tea, more to give himself something to do than because he was thirsty. Lately the Waterbender had noticed that he always needed something to do; he couldn’t just sit still. That was probably because of all the traveling he’d done. Sitting still, doing nothing just seemed like a waste of time.

Luckily, it didn’t take long for Kong to speak again. A couple of questions about Waterbending, and an interesting fact about her. Apparently, she wasn’t a very good Earthbender—or at least, she wasn’t used to bending yet. The green-eyed girl should get a teacher. As she had probably found out by now, self-teaching only got you so far. ”I learned in the Northern Tribe, from my father. Since I left home, I’ve been trying to teach myself new techniques, which is why I was in the library today. Unfortunately, that hasn’t gone very well. Seeing a move in a book and actually performing it are two very different things. Given a chance, I’d like to find a Waterbending teacher to help me, but that can happen later. For now I’d rather travel as much as possible.”
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 7, 2010 13:29:58 GMT -6
kong
Aug 8, 2010 0:13:51 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 8, 2010 0:13:51 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

Kong would nod her head as Tenshio began talking. His explanation as to why he was at the library earlier that day seemed reasonable enough. And then she sullenly bowed her head to sentiment that learning a new technique from a book was a lot easier said than done; a reassuring hum meant that she had been there and done that. Upon mention of him searching for a Water bending teacher, Kong took a sip of tea. She herself had often thought about what it would be like to train under the tutelage of an advanced or master Earth bender. Though it was frowned upon in this society, she had heard too much about great female Earth benders to make her want to abandon her gift; if people like Toph Bei Fong and Avatar Kyoshi could do it, then so could she.

And then, the young Water bender said something about traveling. He expressed notions of going to other places, something that the green-eyed teen had also wanted to do. Of course he was a traveler; him, a tribesman, being in Ba Sing Se was proof enough. Kong put her tea down onto the china plate laying on the table before her and then turned to Tenshio, saying, "It's always been a dream of mine to leave Ba Sing Se and travel, too. If you haven't noticed already, there isn't much keeping me here." She would laugh at the joke that was almost as stale as the mid-day life of the Upper Ring. "Tell me, where have you traveled to so far? Or is Ba Sing Se your first stop on your way to world touring?"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 8, 2010 1:19:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 8, 2010 1:19:52 GMT -6

Upper Ring

As he finished speaking, Tenshio reached for his tea, taking a sip as he waited for Kong’s next inquiry. Surprisingly, the girl’s next words did not come in the form of a question. What she said made him wonder about her life. If there wasn’t much keeping her tied to her home, then why had she not left yet? Tenshio loved his home, but had gone off to see the world anyway. Had he been in Kong’s position, he would have left earlier, as soon as he could. Yet the girl hadn’t done that. The Waterbender longed to ask why, but stopped himself. Maybe her parents were very strict, and they were the reason she couldn’t leave. Were that the case, he would not want to force the girl to admit it. It would be better to leave that question unasked, for now at least.

Kong’s question was easy enough to answer. ”Ba Sing Se is my first stop. I just left home a couple of months ago, so I haven’t actually seen that much. I’ve been through a few towns in the Earth Kingdom, but those I was just passing through. This city is the first in which I’ve actually stopped. I probably won’t stay for very long, though. There’s quite a bit more to see in the Earth Kingdom, and I won’t get to see any of it by staying here.”
Anonymous
Aug 8, 2010 14:47:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 8, 2010 14:47:08 GMT -6

Lower Ring

Hooded and cloaked, the man walked through the streets. He was not surprised to find that he was being followed by someone. Probably some desperate thieves looking for an easy mark he thought to himself. Turning a corner, the hooded man jumped up and grabbed a nearby ledge, pulling himself up and crouching on the building's roof without missing a step. He watched the would-be muggers through the dark eyes beneath his facial tattoo as they followed, looking around in confusion before chasing down another back alley.

Zheng chuckled to himself. The fact that he could walk around in Ba Sing Se at all was a fact that, given his previous occupation as a Fire Nation soldier, he found highly amusing. Not that long ago the great walls that surrounded her seemed impassible, the greatest obstacle against Fire Lord Ozai's complete conquest of the world. Now that they were no longer a factor it seemed to the glancing amateur that it was all over, the war won (or lost depending on your view). However, it was far from finished and the bounty hunter knew it. The Earth Kingdom people were, as a rule, stubborn and strong. Rebellions and resistance cells would be plenty in any occupied village, town and city. And as long as they existed, Zheng had work just waiting to be picked up.

Perched on the edge of the roof like a small gargoyle, the bounty hunter looked around at the lower ring of the great city while adjusting the bow and two quivers on his back so they sat more comfortably. Yes, he had no doubts that there would be some sort of resistance fighting here. A group that the Fire Nation would pay great amounts of gold to have found and taken out. Zheng would be happy to oblige, should the 'great amount of gold' be sufficient. He disliked working for the military. Too many bad memories. Still, if they provided the money and he would provide his skills. For now anyway. Angling his gaunt face towards the upper ring where he expected to find the Fire Nation Military H.Q, Zheng leapt gracefully back to the ground and started to make his way there. He would make a killing here.

So to speak.
yulan
Aug 9, 2010 2:44:27 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Aug 9, 2010 2:44:27 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: In theory. And w00t new avatar, Ai Lin. :) )

Lower Ring - Underground HQ

Well, this wasn't so bad.

Yulan shifted through the movements Suki had demonstrated, slowly at first, then gaining a little more speed as her body familiarized itself with the three-strike set. A straight stab forward - she wanted to giggle at the "poke 'em in the eye" description, but she didn't dare distract Suki from what was surely a very important discussion with Long Feng - then a right diagonal downward slash, then a swift slice across an imaginary jugular. She repeated them, the quiet rattling of the fan's metal plates achieving a sort of pleasant rhythm as Yulan's breathing deepened. One, two, three. Stab, slash, slice. Again. One, two, three.

Her body drifted into autopilot and Yulan's thoughts meandered, her mind conjuring up hypothetical enemies for her to test her moves against. Stab, slash, slice. Again. The hated red and black uniforms toppled over like stacks of Pai Sho tiles, complete with a satisfying clattering noise.

Faintly, part of her felt that she shouldn't be deriving this much pleasure from taking out her foes. But why not? The Fire Nation sure seemed like they were enjoying themselves. They had to be. Burning down whole towns and villages, forcing the conquered to learn their doctrine and worship it, killing the Avatar, all around trampling hopes and dreams; you could not convince Yulan the hothead army did all those things solely out of duty to their horrible tyrant of a Fire Lord. There had to be some sick, twisted enjoyment there. Fire Nation were all monsters, cruel and emotionless behind those stupid skull masks. They were not human; they deserved no mercy.

One, two-

Yulan paused. The young-faced guard from last night flashed against the backdrop of her mind, his fierce demands that she stand down and surrender at odds with his visible reluctance to hurt her. In the end, she'd refused, and if not for a fellow rebel's timely intervention, she was certain he would have hurt her... but the hesitation had been there.

'Death is not a necessity.'

Flushed and panting a little from her exertions, Yulan stopped and glanced over at her wooden sword against the wall, patient and trusty as it had always been since the day she left her village. Once again she was made acutely aware of just how heavy the golden Kyoshi fan felt in her hand.

Movement in the corner of her vision drew Yulan's attention onto Suki, done with her talk. The girl nodded, offering a flickering smile in return. "Sure. I'm ready."

Then, before she could lose her nerve, Yulan added quickly, "Sifu, have you ever... dealt the last strike?"

Spirits help her, she couldn't even say the word she really meant. From the looks of it, she and Suki had to be close in age, but their leader was so strong, fearless, and resolved, whereas Yulan... wasn't. Suki was an expert at this three-strike set and presumably many others like it; there was a reason for that. It was difficult to think about Suki using these movements for their intended purpose, but Yulan had to wonder.
This user is a guest
kong
Aug 9, 2010 21:31:43 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 9, 2010 21:31:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

The young brunette looked on as Tenshio sipped his tea. She was glad he liked it; most people didn't find the taste of tea appealing for some reason. But Kong knew that those who did enjoy it usually had a straight head on their shoulders. Her shoulders pulled back as the Earth bender tried to straighten out her seating posture. Earth Kingdom nobility (and anyone with a proper set of manners or formal etiquette training) had always been taught that if someone gives you respect, you return it. The Water bender was definitely being very respectful of Shi Yang and her household. She aimed to do the same by him.

She listened as he expressed his desire to traverse the reaches of the world, and was almost relieved to hear that Ba Sing Se was only the first stop on his journey. It meant that she was not too late to hop on this train, too.

He wanted to see the rest of the Earth Kingdom, huh? It was practical enough. Kong could not really say that she had been outside of Ba Sing Se - for she had not gone further than just outside of the wall. It was once. She had been with her father when she was young, and he had arranged for her to look beyond the wall... beyond the capitol city. These were still the days of the Shi Yangs living in the Lower Ring, and Mr. Shi Yang was hoping to strike fear into Kong's heart; the concerned father did not want his little girl to ever have thoughts of running away. By showing her the desert just outside of the wall, he thought he could discourage her from ever leaving the most protected place known to their people. Little did he know that he had done just the opposite, for a young Kong refused to believe that all that lie beyond the wall was barren wasteland. This is when literature became a major component in her life, for it told the entire story of what she couldn't see herself.

But this was the time to see it for herself. That is, if her acquaintance would allow her company. But how could she propose the question without sounding desperate, or naive, or even immature? She figured the best approach would be one that was direct and well articulated; she couldn't have Tenshio thinking that he would bringing along some dumb little girl. It couldn't very well help her chances of him saying "yes."

With a gentle hand the young woman would push her hair back, and behind her ear. She looked down, thinking about what she wanted to say before she said it, as she had done before. Something this serious required eye contact. She looked to him, saying, "Neither will I. In a way, I guess Ba Sing Se is my first stop, too. But the stories of travelers and the stories found within books tell me of other things that I wish to see. I long to visit the city of Omashu, and its famed Cave of Two Lovers; to study the unique bending arts of the inhabitants of the Foggy Swamp; to look over the Great Divide; and to even visit the Island of Kyoshi, the home to the late Avatar Kyoshi. These places are only of the Earth Kingdom, so there's even more to see. I can truly say that I am unsatisfied here. Politics rule, and there is no way that I can grow as a person. My own person, anyway. I guess what I'm trying to do, Tenshio, is tell you that I wish to accompany you. Would that be too much of a bother?"

The way Kong would hunch her shoulders and slightly curl her lips immediately after asking her question was sort of humanizing. She talked as though she had studied grammar and vocabulary scrolls extensively, but to see such lax body language was nice. All the girl could do now was wait for an answer to her question. She would not be surprised if her question was answered with more questions, like what would her parents say. She didn't care enough about what either of them had to say to let it sway her decision if Tenshio were to say yes, anyway.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 9, 2010 22:17:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2010 22:17:39 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Kong didn’t give much of a response to what he said, which led the Waterbender to assume that she was thinking about his words. Though, then he had to wonder what there was to think about. His answer hadn’t exactly been confusing or alluding to anything else; it was pretty straightforward. But Kong’s face gave him no clues as to what was going on inside her head. If he wanted to know, the young man would either have to ask or wait for her to share her thoughts. And honestly, polite as he was trying to be, the first option really wasn’t one at all. His inquisitive nature might just have to remain unsatisfied.

As Tenshio waited for the next question, he sipped his tea. It was quite good, and feeling the warmth of the liquid run through his body allowed him to temporarily calm his overactive mind. Always, even when nothing was going on, a multitude of thoughts ran through his head, ranging from what he was wearing to the color of his surroundings. It was amazing that he could ever sleep, with so much going on in his mind. This was why the young man liked conversation as much as he did; talking to others gave him something to continually focus on. Of course, at the moment both participants in this conversation were silent, so the blue-eyed male found himself thinking about the pattern on the tea cup. It was quite annoying, to be honest.

Then, Kong caught his eye, so he tried his best to cut other, unnecessary thoughts out of his head. It appeared as though the teenager was going to speak, and it would be a good idea to listen, in case what she said was important. As a matter of fact, it was. When Kong finished speaking, the first expression on Tenshio’s face was one of shock. Realizing that this was the case, the Waterbender quickly rearranged his features so as to convey no emotion at all. This was much better, as it would give him time to think without letting Kong know what it was he was thinking.

She wanted to come with him? But they had just met! For all she knew, he could be a murderer. For all he knew, she could be planning to steal from him. The possibilities were ludicrous, but still needed to be considered. And what would the girl’s parents think of her going off with some stranger? He couldn’t imagine that they would be very fond of the idea. His parents probably wouldn’t have been, and he was guessing that Kong’s would be even less likely to accept the idea, since it seemed to him that wealthy people were more protective of their children than most.

But truly, Tenshio knew that—as harsh as it sounded—he shouldn’t even be considering what Kong’s parents might think. Their opinions probably wouldn’t matter to their daughter anyway. It had been that way with him. He had made up his mind to travel the world, and hadn’t stopped pestering his parents until they had relented and allowed him to go. From what Kong had said about being unsatisfied and unable to grow, the Waterbender guessed that the girl would most likely do the same. And, if she was like him, the brown-haired Earthbender would allow nothing to get in her way.

And hadn’t he just been wishing that he had someone to travel with? Tenshio had been longing for someone to talk to as he explored the world, and here such a person was, asking to accompany him. If he turned her down, it might be a long time before someone came along. And he didn’t know how much more solitude he could take. A few more days alone, and the young man might just go insane from loneliness. He would prefer to avoid that, and Kong was the solution to that problem. And honestly, the Waterbender could think of no logical reason to refuse the girl’s request. He might as well accept, and if things turned out badly, well, they could part ways, as dismal an option as that might be.

He spoke slowly, unsure of what to say. ”…I’d love to have a traveling companion…but would your parents be alright with it? I mean, we just met and all…” The black-haired male sighed. This shouldn’t be so difficult. I…yes,” he finally muttered. ”Yes, you can come with me.”
kong
Aug 10, 2010 18:45:33 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 10, 2010 18:45:33 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

While awaiting his reply, the butterflies tumbled about in her stomach, brushing up against the walls of her belly. And then he began to speak; this was the moment of truth! His stammering words did not calm her restless spirit of anticipation, and his "but" only did more damage. She didn't care about what her parents thought. If she had minded her parents' every words, she would have never visited the library of the Middle Ring, would have never met Tenshio, would have never invited him home for tea, and would not be sitting at where she was right now.

Tenshio showed obvious signs of concerned, worrying about Kong's parents and their relationship as acquaintances. She was anticipating a decline to her proposal, and was prepared to accept it with grace and dignity. But then, she thought she heard a murmured word that almost sounded like the word "yet." But he couldn't have said that, for it fit nowhere in is argument. Were the Earth bender's ears playing tricks on her? Oh, how her heart began to pump and thump — if only Tenshio would give a straightforward answer. Yes or no?

And then, it came. Like the sun's rays over the horizon, it came. The response she had been praying for. The Ba Sing Se native had stuck her hand out in companionship and the tribesman had finally grabbed onto it with his own. A smile was the sixteen year old's first thanking gesture, and then a small bow of the head followed. But in her elation, she could not help but address what Tenshio had said; her parents were indeed a part of this equation.

But she was too happy right now to let the thought of their disapproval kill her buzz! Why did she even have to ask them? The girl was old enough, and perfectly capable (in her eyes, at least) to take care of herself. "Tenshio, I believe that we will make outstanding traveling companions! And if you are worried about my parents approval, you need not be. My mind is set and will not be altered."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 10, 2010 19:51:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 10, 2010 19:51:15 GMT -6

Upper Ring

It was easy to see that his response had pleased the girl. Maybe pleased was too weak a word. Kong looked euphoric. That was good; Tenshio always enjoyed making others happy. However, when the brown-haired female spoke, he became worried again. The Waterbender had anticipated that Kong would be set in her decision to travel with him and that she wouldn’t take into account her parents’ opinions, but that didn’t mean that he was comfortable with that. It was one thing to change her parents’ minds; to ignore them completely was something else altogether.

Tenshio couldn’t help wondering what his companion’s stubborn nature would result in when they decided to leave the city. If the Earthbender’s parents disapproved of her leaving, would he have to sneak her out of Ba Sing Se, against their wishes? He hoped not. That could lead to anger, resentment, and even Kong getting disowned. That possibility was small, but it still existed, and Tenshio did not want to be responsible for that. Oh well, it really wasn’t his problem. Kong would just have to ask her parents and hope for the best.

His one major worry dealt with, the black-haired male turn to his new friend and smiled. ”Alright then. When would you like to leave? I don’t have anything to take care of here, so we can go whenever you want.”
kong
Aug 10, 2010 21:10:32 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 10, 2010 21:10:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

Shi Yang had listened to the question, nodding her head at it. What time would be best for her, since Tenshio was ready to go at a moment's notice? Of course she would want to bring a few items with her, but she knew the importance of packing light; she didn't want to burden herself or slow down the more physically prepared Water bender.

First she would change clothes; get out of her luxurious robes and slip into something more comfortable and weather-resistant. Food should be brought for herself and her new friend (Kong should get used to thinking of this Northern Water Tribe citizen as such, considering the amount of time they would now be spending together). And her savings should be brought too, to buy supplies on their next stop.

"The last thing I want to do is keep you waiting on me, Tenshio. Let us leave tomorrow morning, if you have no matters to attend to," were the words to come out of the Earth bender's mouth. She could pack away in one night's time.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 10, 2010 21:59:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 10, 2010 21:59:11 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Tenshio patiently waited for his new companion to respond, understanding that such a question would require thinking about. As Kong thought over her response, he considered his own situation. His belongings were back at an inn in the Middle Ring; it would take him almost no time at all to get them ready to leave, since he hadn’t actually unpacked anything yet, just dumped it all on the floor of his room and left. So he could be ready whenever the brown-haired female decided she wanted to leave. So long as she didn’t say, “right now,” he was fine with whatever she decided.

So, when her answer came, it was unsurprising, and the Waterbender nodded in response. ”Okay, tomorrow it is then. How will we find each other? Should I come here, or should we meet somewhere else?” The blue-eyed male could guess what the answer would be to that question, but felt he should ask anyway, just so they didn’t have to waste time searching for each other tomorrow.
Anonymous
Aug 11, 2010 10:40:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 11, 2010 10:40:10 GMT -6

The young Lieutenant bowed to Long Feng as he got his orders, just before the man left to take care of his own business. Many theories as to why he would interrupt the training right now were running across Joychi's mind, but he was trying to forget about them. There probably was a good reason for this decision, and since he'd been asked to practice, he could guess that whatever Long Feng was gonna do would later require Joychi's - and the other benders', once they were taught - abilities.

So he immediately put on some gloves and soles again, before swinging his arms backwards and sliding across the ground in the alley. Once he stopped, his green eyes automatically looked at the ground behind him, to see if he'd left a trail... Not only had he left a trail, but it was made of the earthen soles he'd just made. A frown appeared on his face and he tilted his head to the side, as if challenging the ground, daring it to do this again - but in truth, he was telling this to himself.

He renewed the shoes and proceeded across the ground again, slaloming a bit around the pieces of earth he'd left before. Once he came within two feet of the wall previously created, the dark skinned bender leapt up and stuck his toes and fingertips to the wall with a thud. He looked behind him again. This time, his soles had stuck to feet, however he'd created some kind of path, slightly sunk in the ground. The sight made him sigh heavily. As a result, the part of the wall he was clinging to crumbled again and he fell from it... again. At first, for the reason of this failure to be the fact he sighed seemed hard to believe but acceptable, but when he set his gaze on the wall for a few second, he realized this part had been weakened.

'I put too much strength in this leap, then. That thud... I hit the wall too hard.' He thought while sitting up and rubbing the dust off his body. Was it only luck that allowed him to perform well enough in front of Long Feng ?...

He let out another sigh. Now was not the time for the soldier to be concerned as such. Whatever the case, he'd been entrusted with the task of teaching the other benders these very same techniques. He had to master them tonight. He needed to ! It was now different from a simple task he was assigned. Joychi was putting his pride on the line. He'd told that girl that after all he'd gone through, he needed to shoulder and endure whatever was to come to him, and it wouldn't mean anything if he couldn't do this. He stomped a first time and slammed the wall to fix it, then stomped a second time and spread his arms to fix and clean the ground. He was going to do this...
kong
Aug 13, 2010 17:44:13 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 13, 2010 17:44:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

"Tonight I will say goodbye to my parents and gather my belongings. Tomorrow morning, I will travel to the Middle Ring. We can meet in front of the library - the place where I first saw you. From there we could perhaps go down to the marketplace of the Lower Ring for last minute supply shopping. And then, it is wherever you wish to go." Hopefully, the young Earth bender wasn't being seen as pushy. If she wanted this to work, she would need everything mapped out precisely. In fact, she was trying to think of a way to politely ask Tenshio to leave the house - she was growing more and more conscious of the time. She had no idea when her mother would be back, and her father was due home in perhaps another hour or so.

Kong looked at the clock hanging from the wall. There was enough time. If she thought about it too hard, she would only end up worrying herself for no reason. Even worse yet, she might jinx the situation.

Mmmmmmm, calming Jasmine tea. As she sipped from the petite cup and taste just how lukewarm the beverage had become, it became apparent just how much time the two had spent together ... talking ... planning.

"So, Tenshio, does the idea seem doable to you?"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 14, 2010 0:19:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 14, 2010 0:19:46 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Surprisingly, Kong had a sound plan. It was as if she had planning something like this for a while. Well, if she had, it was now paying off. The only problem Tenshio had with the strategy was the fact that the girl still expected to leave even if her parents were against it. That could go wrong. Her parents could decide to lock her in her room, or find some other way to stop them from meeting. It was insane, and the Waterbender didn’t honestly think that anyone would go to such an extreme, but he didn’t know Kong’s parents, or how they react to her announcement.

But, as he had decided before, it wasn’t his place to worry about that. All he could do was show up tomorrow and hope that he wouldn’t be leaving the city alone. And that was up to the brown-haired girl next to him.

”Yes, that sounds fine.” Though, the blue-eyed young man did disagree on one point. He had decided as soon as their arrangement had been set that Kong would be the one to choose where they headed. He didn’t really care, and he had already been traveling for a little while anyway. Kong was new to traveling, so she deserved the opportunity to plot their course. But that could wait until tomorrow.

It was becoming apparent to the Waterbender now that there really wasn’t much more for him to do in Kong’s house. And considering that the girl had voiced her worries about her parents getting home before they were finished talking, perhaps it was time to go. But how to go about doing so?

Unsure of what to do, Tenshio stood hesitantly. ”Well…since we have everything planned out…I’ll see you tomorrow, I suppose.” That was simple enough, but he didn’t know what to do after that. Etiquette dictated that the host showed the guest out, but was that really necessary here? The male honestly had no idea what to do.
kong
Aug 14, 2010 11:06:39 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 14, 2010 11:06:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

The emerald-eyed young woman watched as her guest stood up, bidding her goodbye. She could tell that he wasn't sure as to what he should do next. With a final sip of her tea, she stood up as well. "You are right. Without sounding impolite, it would be best if you left now," were the words to escape Kong's mouth. Without sounding impolite? Of course that sounded impolite. It was downright rude! But she hadn't meant it to sound so harsh; did that count for anything? Hopefully after spending more time with her, Tenshio would learn that some of the meaner sounding things said by Shi Yang were not intended as vindictive. It only came from a lack of interaction with other young persons.

The Earth bender showed the tribesman to the door, and then walked him all the way to the front gate of the yard. "Just follow this path and then take the second left. You will run directly into the monorail." Hopefully her instructions had been simple enough to follow; she had put them in terms simple enough for a child to understand because this was Tenshio's first time visiting the Upper Ring. And it was getting dark.

Dusk was settling in and the crescent moon was fairly visible in the sky. Without looking over, Kong could feel the soft pitter-patter of a family of frog-opossums exiting their nest stationed in a bush in the Shi Yang's yard. They seemed to be heading in the same direction in which Kong had just instructed Tenshio to go. They were going off to forage for scraps for supper.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 14, 2010 11:35:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 14, 2010 11:35:35 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Kong may have attempted to avoid it, but her words still sounded a bit rude to Tenshio. And they didn’t really make sense. If she was planning to leave with him tomorrow anyway, what did it matter if her parents met him tonight? Oh well, apparently it did matter. The Waterbender wouldn’t push the issue, and would just leave as requested.

He followed the girl to the front gate and nodded at her instructions. They were simple enough to follow. ”Thank you for allowing me into your home and for the tea. I’ll see you tomorrow.” With a small bow, the blue-eyed young man turned and was soon on his way away from Kong’s house and back to the monorail.

Though he was realizing how tired he was, Tenshio slowed his pace as he returned to the inn in which he was staying. He spent some time looking up at the moon, which was always a pleasant sight. The Waterbender had always liked the night. Something about it was comforting. Perhaps it was the silence, or the fact that Waterbending was stronger when the moon was awake. Whatever it was, he enjoyed the small moment of peace in which he found himself. Tomorrow might be very hectic, so he would take what tranquility he could get beforehand.

(OOC: I suppose you can time-skip to the next morning if you want.)
kong
Aug 14, 2010 15:02:01 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 14, 2010 15:02:01 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

The morning sun was just peeking over the great outer wall of the Earth Kingdom's capital city. Anticipation had kept Kong up for a huge portion of the night, but she knew that sleep would be needed for the big day ahead of her. At the first glint of light shining on her face, the hazel haired girl awoke. She first went to the bathroom and proceeded to brush her teeth, , wash her face, and then comb through her brown locks. With a look at her own reflection, she decided she was as ready as she would ever be as far as looks were concerned.

Dressed in her night gown, she went over to the pine wood wardrobe. Upon opening it she gazed at all of the silk robes she had hanging about - she couldn't go out wearing these robes. More importantly, she did not want to. The robes, though always flowing and dancing in the wind, symbolized restriction. When she wore them, Kong had to abide by a certain set of rules. These rules had tormented her for years, making her slave to the political corruption and bias of Ba Sing Se. There was no way she could adorn herself in these clothes again. Kong dropped to her knees and pulled out a bottom drawer, setting her sights on a yellow shirt and a pair of brown pants - both made of cotton. She dressed herself. And then she slipped into a pair of custom made shoes with an extremely thin sole in them, to enhance her connection to the crust's soil. It would help her bending (something she planned on doing a lot of on this journey).

Now that she was ready to go, she looked at her room one final time. Her bed had been made, the floor was swept, and everything was organized and neat. Just as she liked it. This was how she would leave it, and this is how it should be upon the girl's return.

She walked over to her bedside night table. The letter to her parents that she had written in her pre-sleep anticipation lay there. Without picking up, Kong read it over once more for any errors:

Dear Father and Mother,

By the time you read this, I shall be miles away from the city of Ba Sing Se. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. The time for me to start living my life is now.

For half of my life I have lived in the Upper Ring of Ba Sing Se. I have stayed strong through all of the degrading looks and criticizing words; endured the viscous attitudes of people who claimed that we did not really belong here. Those phased me, but did not stop me.

I want to travel the world, and experience all that is to be offered. As any good daughter would, I have thought about how my parents would react to the news. I assume you will not be too pleased. This thought has phased me, but it, too, will not stop me.

Do not focus on my leaving, and do not worry about how I shall make it from day to day. Just know that I will. I plan to write when I can, and cannot wait for the day when I return home to you both a woman.

I am of age now. This is the life I have chosen.

Love,
Kong.

Reading it over again, it did sound a little business-y. The departing daughter had wanted to stir up emotions and make a lasting impression, not inform them of a hiatus she was taking. Oh well. It would have to do. As the sun rose higher it meant that Kong was running out of time before her father awoke to prepare for work. She remembered how her mother had come home mere moments after she had sent Tenshio away. When questioned about the two tea cups that had been set on the table, the quick thinker had fibbed and said she had invited a girl from up the street home. Her mother then expressed feelings of joy, happy that her daughter was finally coming around.

Kong was just happy she dodged the lethal bullet.

The teenager with the expecting future walked over to her window. She looked out at it, longingly. She could look out over the Middle Ring from where she stood. A tingling sensation in her feet let her know that the monorail was coming in for the first time this morning. Kong took a deep breath. This was it. She placed her hands on the ground and pulled the Earth apart, creating a hole - a portal to the outside, and a doorway to her future. She climbed into the hole and then closed it back. The bender then opened up another hole and climbed out on the outside of her home. With a well placed stomp she filled the tunnel back up with dirt. She turned and broke out in a light jog in an effort to make the tram.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 14, 2010 16:04:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 14, 2010 16:04:56 GMT -6

Middle Ring

The sun had just begun to shine when the Waterbender opened his eyes. Normally he would have awakened later in the day, but his thoughts of what was to come had kept him from sleeping deeply. He had never traveled with anyone before, especially a girl who was younger than him. What would it be like, having someone to talk to every day, not having to wander around by himself? It sounded great, but what if there were problems? What if they grew tired of being together? What if one of them got hurt and they were nowhere near a town? Tenshio hadn’t been taught to heal, and he doubted that Kong had any knowledge of the healing arts either. That could be disastrous.

And what if the girl’s parents were furious and sent someone to retrieve their daughter? What could he do in a situation like that? Stop them? But it wasn’t his place to do that…Ugh. Why was he having such gloomy thoughts so early in the morning, and before they had even left? Thinking that way would do them both no good, and would just leave him in a bad mood. He was finally going to be traveling with someone. That was a good thing. He shouldn’t be focusing on all the bad that could come of it.

The young man got out of bed and stood slowly, stretching slightly. Still blinking the sleep from his eyes, the blue-eyed male made his way out of his room and down the hall to the bathroom, where he stripped off his clothes and began to bathe. As he did so, he wondered how Kong’s conversation with her parents had gone the night before. Had they been furious? Accepting? Would they even allow her to leave the house? That would be horrible, if he waited for the brown-haired teenager at the library and she never showed up. In that case, the only thing for him to do would be to leave on his own again, as rescuing the girl would not be an option.

There he went thinking depressing thoughts again. That was it. Until he reached the library, the Waterbender just wouldn’t think of anything at all. That was the only way he could think to stop wallowing in what could be. Decision made, Tenshio finished bathing and returned to his room to finish preparing for the journey. In just a few minutes, all of his belongings were secured and ready to go. He made a rather short list of things to buy in the Lower Ring, then shoulder his pack and left his room, and soon, the inn.

He couldn’t help watching the people he passed as he headed to the library to meet Kong. All of them lived incredibly different lives. Did they ever think of finding a companion and traveling the world? Were some of them doing that right at that moment? Or were they all content with their lives in the city, surrounded on all sides by thick stone walls, where you couldn’t see outside unless you were of the lower class? Then again, how could you be content with such a dull life? Tenshio couldn’t imagine what it would be like to spend all of his life in a closed off city, amazing as that city was. He was beginning to understand why Kong wanted to leave.

All too soon the male had reached his destination. Once again he found himself sitting by the steps to the library. At least this time the building was the beginning of a journey, not a pace of refuge. There was nothing to do ut wait for Kong. He hoped she showed up.