The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Ba Sing Se VI

Anonymous
Aug 2, 2010 18:07:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 2, 2010 18:07:57 GMT -6

((Yes! The plot moves forward!!!!! :D FYI, I meant disagree instead of agree. Of course Suki would agree to being able to match the Dai Li *faceslap* sorry about that mistake.)))

Lower Ring – Underground HQ

Scrutinizing his motions, the former grand secretariat narrowed his emerald eyes as he watched his instructed assume the appropriate stance. Trying his best to stay out of the way, and to hopefully avoid any painful mishap that might arrive, the gangly man reeled his arms behind his back, and pensively watched the young bender.

He was young, but his talent was shining through. He expected him to make the too familiar error of actually launching himself off the ground because of his motion. Thankfully though, it hadn’t happened. Still, he took to this move quickly, and even though he left a clearly discernable trail of dirt and dust in his wake, it was still a thousand times better than what he had imagined him as being able to perform. The young lieutenant’s second attempt was a vast improvement over his first. He slid across, and with practice he would be ale to not only slide across, but also to change his advance on a dime. That would be the eventual conclusion of this technique, but that lesson required time as well as a large arena.

In due time, in due time, thought Long Feng with his eyes shut, and an image on where he knew he would take the Underground shimmering in his head.

When the young, dark earthbender returned near him, Long Feng then proceeded to warn him about the potential mishaps that this technique brought. “Careful when you teach the other benders. If they put to much weight on their legs or to much strength into a single leg, then they will literally be thrown into the air with their launching speed dictated by how badly their stances were. The warning applies to you as well, so you better keep practicing, because I’ll be requiring you assistance, and when that happens you won’t be able to take your polearm with you.” His statement was rather cold, but still it wasn’t void of any warm; it was delivered in the typical Long Feng tone and voice. Hopefully, the young bender would take his advice and practice the technique because Long Feng honestly did not want to head to palace with an ill-practiced bender and their leader on his back.

“As for the other lesson, you have basic knowledge already, as you have just told me. The Dai Li fight with rock gloves and earthen footwear, to counteract their attacks, its best to know their techniques limitations and advantages.” After speaking his brief introduction, Long Feng stomped on the ground, and sent a small chunk of earth up. It levitated before his chest for a second before he immediately clamped his hands around it, he then began to fold his hands this way and that until he finished making himself a new pair of gloves. The remaining earth soon fell and shattered on the ground, he then stepped on it, like an old woman would step on an a few annoying beetles, thusly fusing the small chunks into the alley’s floor.

“You must master scaling walls and keeping yourself stuck to earthen walls should you honesty hope to help the Underground. These, help out a lot,” began Long Feng, thusly showing Joychi the pair he had made himself, “Like sliding, by having actual earth on yourself, you greatly lesson the strain of clinging to earth. That being said, it can still be done without them.” At that last sentence, the gloves came off his hands, and he then pushed them back into the earth with a gentle step.

“Now.” Long Feng paused, and then motioned for a small wall to erect itself from the earth, near the building that wasn’t the Underground’s headquarters.

“Climb up, I don’t worry about height, if you can half of this vertical surface with your bending, then you can climb any size wall without much trouble. What I wand you to do, is to climb the wall and then to hold yourself stationary for as long as you can. Should you believe your skills satisfactory in this department, then come down when you feel like doing so. Now a bit of advice, while you may be tempted to use your palms you are not supposed to. Use your fingers and toes only. Anything else just adds more strain, and will actually slow your scaling speed.”

“Now, get up there.”

This user is a former member
ailin
Aug 2, 2010 20:31:02 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Aug 2, 2010 20:31:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OCC: Huzzah for forward motion! Sorry if this sucks. Oh, and Yulan, I slightly godmodded us to a place better for training. Hope that's okay. I'll let you decide whether Suki throws the practice punch or not.)

Lower Ring - Underground HQ

There was a hushed hustle and bustle going on; Long Feng, after apparently finishing his conversation with Mahone, went right into one with the Earth Kingdom soldier, leading him out of the main room and down the long hallway towards the back of the building. Suki supposed that talking to the former Grand Secretariat could wait for now, if he had other business to attend to first. It wasn't like she had a shortage of priorities to take care of herself.

Suki heard small 'oofs' and mumbles of annoyance before seeing Yulan wave her greetings to her. It was almost funny, and if things weren't quite so serious she might have even laughed. The impulse was very short lived, as Yulan's demeanor was nervous at best. Her eyes shifted, and her smile was jittery. As she spoke, the smile faded and her expression became deadly serious.

"G'morning. Ah, can I ask you a favor?"

"Of course."

"Will you train me?"

The young Kyoshi Warrior let out a breath she was unaware she had been holding in. She had expected something so much more dire from the way Yulan's earnest young face had shifted from just nervous to so somber. End of the world sort of thing. A raid, being followed, Fire Nation tanks, something like that. This had to be a side effect of becoming the leader of a resistance faction; you would always expect the worst news.

Suki grinned. Was this irony? Or just fantastic timing? "Yulan, you have great timing. I had been thinking that we could all get some practice in, to help us work as a team. I'm not going to be teaching the benders in our group anything soon, except working with the rest of us I guess, but I can absolutely teach you what I know as a Kyoshi Warrior. Let's go where there's a bit more room and we can get started."

The alley behind the building was much more shielded from the sunshine than the main street, tucked between the decrepit and abandoned buildings in this district of the Lower Ring. It smelled of dust and old wood, which was actually a nice change of pace from how the rest of the Lower Ring could smell during the hottest part of the day. It was long and narrow and already occupied in one place by Long Feng and the Earth Kingdom soldier...

Is Long Feng...teaching? Guess we are on the same wavelength about what to do now.

"Don't mind us," the Little Commander announced, waving with one hand while ushering Yulan farther down the alley with the other. "We'll give you two enough space."

Their bending training would no doubt need more room, and more dirt, than the girls needed. Suki wasn't quite sure what Long Feng was teaching, but the intricacies of bending had never been something she understood. She led Yulan about thirty paces down the alley, still shadowed by the buildings and away from the roaring noise coming from the wide open streets. The place would be suitable.

"Here," she said. The Kyoshi Warrior pulled one of her golden fans from her belt and held out out for the teenager to take. "Normally we'd start with both, but I'm a little short on supplies."

She assumed a ready stance, distributing her weight evenly on the balls of her feet, making sure to be grounded while still mobile. "The first thing to remember is that a warrior uses their opponent's energy against them. You don't need a fan to do that, but the fan can be an essential extension of your body, allowing you to take your opponent's motion and use it against them. Now, I will throw a punch, but like many I will put a too much weight on my front leg. I want you to see how that looks, and use that against me. Slide your torso sideways, and pull my arm forward even more. Notice how that feels."

It felt good to be training, and teaching, again. Something that was altogether familiar and comforting, something that she still understood in this world. As Suki pulled back and readied a right front punch, images of tutoring Sokka as a Warrior flashed across her mind. Same lessons, same techniques. Had he ever used what he had learned from her? She hoped so. And what of the other Warriors? Suki could only hope their training was still serving them well wherever they were in the Earth Kingdom.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 2, 2010 21:35:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 2, 2010 21:35:15 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Dead. That was the only word that came to Tenshio’s mind. If the Lower and Middle Rings, filled to the brim as they were with an endless flow of energy, were alive, then the Upper Ring, which, from what he could see was completely lacking in spirit, was completely lifeless. Watching out the window as the tram pulled into the Upper Ring, Tenshio saw only a few people hurrying through the streets. It became immediately apparent how dull the Upper Ring was. It seemed that in this part of the city, everyone kept to themselves. That was boring, and it made the Waterbender uneasy. Coming as he did from the Northern Water Tribe, where there was a strong sense of community, he found this place’s feeling of isolationism unnerving. Although he did sincerely want to help Kong in her search for knowledge, the young man hoped he wouldn’t be staying in the Upper Ring long. It just didn’t fit him.

As the tram came to a stop and Kong exited, Tenshio watched the girl’s back. Despite his attempts not to, he couldn’t help but notice how some of the other passengers had been looking at the teenager. Their stares had been hostile, as if the young noblewoman had done them some personal wrong. That was certainly possible, but Kong didn’t seem like the type to offend others. She seemed more cautious than that. So then what could be wrong with her, that so many would look at her that way? Tenshio was tempted ask, but thought better of it. It was most likely a personal matter, and he had no right to question a girl he barely knew about such things. It would just have to remain an unsolved mystery, one that he would try to forget.

The Waterbender stepped hesitantly off the tram, halfway wishing he could get back on and leave the Upper Ring. As Kong turned to greet him, the young man did his best to appear calm, and not show how uncomfortable he was. If he was this bad now, how would he be when in front of Kong’s parents? He offered up a quick prayer to the Spirits, hoping that they could get him through what could be a very awkward meeting. Then, he focused back on his new acquaintance and waited for her to lead the way.
kong
Aug 2, 2010 23:40:20 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 2, 2010 23:40:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

The eerily silence of the Upper Ring rang as loud as five bronze gongs while the young Earth bender watched Tenshio step off. The look on his face suggested to Kong that he was having inner qualms about being there. But perhaps this was just a natural countenance for him; hopefully after spending some time with him, the girl would be able to tell the difference. "Right this way, Tenshio. I assure you, it is not a long walk," the captain of this game of 'Follow the Leader' would say. She didn't wish to walk in front of him so much that it showed a sign of dominance, so Shi Yang stood beside him. She strangely liked looking up to analyze his facial features: his brown skin, his ocean blue eyes, the small scar on his face, and the few strands of chin stubble that looked prickly.

The quietness was beginning to irk the social persona of the young brunette. A few wind chimes jingled in the distance, breaking the silence but for a moment. "Do not worry, Tenshio. My home is near. My family and I do not live far from the wall which separates the Upper Ring from the Middle Ring. In fact, each night, I can feel the tremors created by the monorail as I lie in my bed."

A few paces down the road and Kong performed an awkward right turn. She didn't want to bump shoulders with her walking partner, and she didn't want to miss the turn either. The end result? A clumsy crossover and an overly-apologetic "I'm so sorry."
This user is a guest
yulan
Aug 3, 2010 2:22:22 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Aug 3, 2010 2:22:22 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: It's fine, Ai Lin. :3 Feel free to godmode Yulan around as you need for the training segments.)

Lower Ring - Underground HQ

Yulan wasn't sure why she'd thought there was a chance Suki might refuse. Honestly, what was their leader going to say, 'no I have better things to do than teach you how to survive against our impossible odds'? Either way, Suki's positive response proved Yulan's fears silly and unfounded. The girl's face lit up in a grin that matched the Kyoshi warrior's.

"That sounds great! Okay."

They migrated outside, passing by Long Feng and the lieutenant. Curious, Yulan craned her neck. Whatever earthbending they were working on looked awfully useful, the techniques ones she wasn't familiar with. Briefly Yulan felt a pang of jealousy, regret that she couldn't learn from the former head of the crazy scary Dai Li... but it would do her no good to ride down that particular train of thought. Besides, the day was bright and she had her own teacher.

Further down the alley, Suki declared this their training ground. Yulan pulled her sword sling off her back and leaned it against a wall. Suki handed her one of her fans.

"Er..." Yulan stared at the unfamiliar weapon, unable to do much more than admire the gold sheen. Everything she currently knew about fighting she'd learned from her father, a retired soldier of the Earth Kingdom army. Hand to hand, combat bending, weapons work... Fans had not exactly been included in the army's standard arsenal.

What she really wanted to do was flick the thing open and send some cool air her way. Despite the tall buildings providing their training ground with much appreciated shade, it was still hot out. A city packed with thousands of sunwashed bodies would do that. Though, Yulan doubted Suki would appreciate her using the fan for a purpose other than the one it was meant to serve, so she refrained. For now.

Maybe I can use it like a knife? She hefted it in her left hand, getting a feel for the surprising weight. Or maybe a club.

Her teacher went on to explain their first exercise, Yulan nodding at all the appropriate parts. She shuffled her feet apart into a stance, mindful of her breathing, careful not to tense up. Her eyes fell to the Kyoshi's warrior's lower half, studying the distribution of Suki's balance as she'd instructed.

"Okay. I'm ready."

Suki's fist came at her, swift but not unmanageable; Yulan twisted her torso to the left, her right hand reaching out to grasp her teacher's elbow from the outside. At the same time she slid her left foot forward and aimed the still-closed fan under Suki's chin.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2010 10:23:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2010 10:23:24 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Tenshio nodded at Kong’s words, glad that he wouldn’t have to stay out on these inanimate streets for very long. How the teenager next to him had been able to stand living here for so long, he couldn’t fathom. Had he been in her place, he probably would have gone insane. But maybe it wasn’t as bad as it seemed. Perhaps they had just arrived at a quiet time. He shouldn’t be so quick to judge.

As they walked, the Waterbender couldn’t help but notice that Kong kept looking up at him. He only saw it out of the corner of his eye, but that was enough for him to take note of it. The young man didn’t really mind. In fact, since the girl was looking at him, he might as well look at her. He had to admit, she was pretty. Tenshio quickly looked away as that thought crossed his mind, his face reddening slightly, hoping Kong hadn’t noticed. When he had calmed slightly and looked back at his new acquaintance, he found his gaze drawn to her large green eyes. The blue-eyed young man had always it interesting how eye color differed depending on where he was. At home, everything was blue. Here in the Earth Kingdom, almost everyone seemed to have green eyes. He had even seen a few people whose eyes appeared gold. That was intriguing, and something he would like to study given the chance.

Tenshio was startled out his musings about eyes by Kong’s sudden turn. It was only by quickly halting his movements that he was able to avoid crashing into the girl. Still, it was a near miss. The Waterbender couldn’t help laughing at the unexpected occurrence. He smiled at Kong when she apologized. ”It’s fine, no harm done. Next time, though, please warn me when you’re about to turn.”
Anonymous
Aug 4, 2010 5:17:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 4, 2010 5:17:23 GMT -6

Long Feng didn't seem too disappointed by Joychi's performance. Or if he was, he didn't let any hints of it slip. Instead he warned the young man about the things he had to watch out for while teaching the other benders. It was no surprise that this applied to Joychi, since he was likely to make mistakes like these when performing this move, just as what just happened. "I will keep that in mind." He just said with a respectful nod, trying not to wonder what would be required of him that didn't involve his polearm. Then he just stood ready for the next lesson.

Hearing his teacher talking about the Dai-Li's earthen equipment made his cheek twitch a little. Although the purpose of this training was to enable him - and later the other benders - to take down the Dai-Li, it was difficult to imagine himself having to wear those gloves and shoes like the agents do, especially if it was for a long period of time. He wasn't against trying though, since Long Feng was showing him how it was supposed to be done.

It's around that time he noticed that two other persons had joined them in the alley, although they were now going further. But his mind just set its focus back on Long Feng's words. As much as it might hurt, he had to admit that his mastery at scaling, sliding and sticking to walls was rather low - or at least very rough. It needed to be refined. His green eyes looked away for a second, looking for the resolve to accept using the gloves and shoes for this exercise. Afterwards, they looked at the wall that Long Feng had just created. So he was supposed to climb up there ?

"Easy enough, I suppose." He said while stepping towards it. However, Long Feng advised him not to use his palms to do it... Joychi was at a bit of a loss. Using his palms was pretty much the only way he knew of doing these, whether scaling, sliding or sticking ! "I-I..." He began saying. But his words soon forced themselves not to come out. This training was necessary, and he was going to to have to teach it to others, which meant he did not have time for complaints or whining.

He stomped the ground and lifted a chunk of earth as Long Feng had just done, then he held it his hands and tried making gloves that more or less resembled the former Secretariat's... The result was a bit different, as his gloves were a bit thicker around the fingers, and the rest was completely covered. Joychi sighed at this sight, though his resolve didn't waver at all. It would have to do, and that was it. As for the shoes, he just rubbed his feet against the ground and kept some of it stuck to them. They didn't quite look like the ones that agents usually sported, but they still seemed practical.

With that, Joychi jumped against the wall, and successfully managed to stick to it using his gloves and toes. Having to keep his limbs stretched like a spider-snake was not the most comfortable of positions, to say the least, but he was also trying to look as discrete as possible. Then he began moving his hands upwards, to attempt a first scale. He managed to make it about three feet up until the earth on his fingers crumbled, leaving him without a hold against the wall. Luckily, he managed to effectively stick the palm of his hand to the wall just as he was falling, allowing him to slide down, and eventually stop.

It didn't last long, though. Using the palm of his hand at that precise time had the effect of sucking the part of the wall it was stuck to, and making him once again lose hold of the wall. As he hit the ground on his back, he began to understand why it was usually more efficient to use fingers and toes instead. "I'm starting to get the hang of it..." The former Lieutenant said while standing up - using this opportunity to renew his gloves at the same time, in a much better fashion.

He went at the wall again, this time taking care that the force his was using on his fingers and toes was equal everywhere. Otherwise, the exact same thing would probably happen again. The confidence he had in his abilities was crumbled just as his gloves had before, so he could only proceed upwards slowly. It did pay off, though, and served to lift his spirits up once again, as he managed to get pretty close to the top without trouble. Now, all he needed do was remain up there without falling. One thing he noticed in the meantime, was that with these gloves on, it didn't take much focus to actually remain stuck to this surface... He might actually get used to it.

After a minute and a half of sticking to it, he let himself slide down the wall and landed safely on his feet. His eyes automatically looked at the gloves on his hands, hesitating between keeping them on or letting go of them. There was a bit of a struggle in his mind, because he was starting to associate them with power, seeing as he'd greatly increased his prowess with that wall just now... But something was begging him not to keep them - at least for now. So he decided to follow this something's advice, because he could make them anytime. "I think I'm alright with this, now." He told Long Feng.
Anonymous
Aug 4, 2010 10:07:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 4, 2010 10:07:35 GMT -6

((Alright let’s see if I can squeeze in that Long Feng post in before I leave))

Abashed by the young, brash soldier’s hesitation, Long Feng prepared himself for his inevitable failure. It took a massive amount of control to be able to scale a wall as the Dai Li did. Quite honestly, he had his doubts about whether or not the move could be feasibly taught to other people. Hopefully, this young bender would show him that it could be. Thankfully, as the gaunt man watched the young earthbender approach the wall, he was immediately proud to see that he took his advice to heart. While crude, at best, the rock gloves on the dark man’s hands were clear indicators that he was indeed paying attention to his tutelage. That being said, the former grand secretariat expected failure, for the first attempt. Thusly, he decided it was best if he not burden himself with anxiety, and decided to watch the other arrivals to their humble training ground.

It was the young girl and their little commander. Without question, he understood what was taking place between the two non-benders. Their leader was teacher the lesser the ways of combat, and hopefully giving her the necessary gait to grow a spine. Oh, well, at least, this way, there was the small glimmer that their organization wouldn’t just end up like the many preceded it. Now that was something that the skeletor knew all too well about. More so than most in the world, because quite honestly, that was what he spent a large portion of his time tracking and eliminating. With that simple fact in mind, there was little doubt in the earthbender’s mind that other groups, like themselves, existed elsewhere. If they were to do anything of any importance with the Underground, those other groups needed to be contacted and used to their greatest advantage.

Casually, he watched a few of the motions between the two in instruction. Obviously, their young leader knew her craft, and well enough to instruct others on it. There was certainly a lot more about this woman then she immediately let on. Discerning her various features, Long Feng tried his best to guess from where she had taken refuge from. Her features were clearly from someplace not on the main homeland. With her light skin, and somewhat light hair, that much was obvious. Those features were generally limited to the northernmost regions of the landmass, and to a few islands to where their decedents migrated to. The biggest indicator of this was her eye color. They were blue an obvious genetic loan from the Water Tribes, if ever there was one. With that in mind, his best guess was that she was from one of the farthest corners of the landmass, a place where trade and even migration with the Water Tribes was once ripe, if not a former necessity for survival.

Long Feng soon shot a glance back at Joychi. Clearly, this was more of a challenge then he had probably guessed it as being. With a shrug, the former reagent called to his student, “I’m going speak with our leader for a bit,” and with that he turned around and walked over to their young, wonderful leader.

“I hope that I am not being too intrusive, but I was hoping that you had an answer to my earlier proposal, by now.” With a careful pose, Long Feng awaited her reply. Hopefully, she had seen the necessity of his mission, and had come to the conclusion that it was a necessary requirement for the Underground’s survival. Thusly, when the response was received her headed back to Joychi’s position.

When he arrived, the lieutenant was just sliding down the wall. Then, after a quick exchange of words, Long Feng nodded, it was indeed time to move to another category. He had to at least get one person along the road in training, that way; at least he would have time to train during his absence.

“Alright, the next lesson with be on defending against these.” After the brief introduction, Long Feng slid quite a ways away from the young bender, and then assumed a typical Dai Li stance. “Now, stop them, block them, avoid them, do whatever necessary to not be struck by them.”

After he finished, he brought up a chunk of rock and fashioned himself a pair of rock gloves, and then immediately went about launching many small, tile-like projectiles at Joychi. Whenever, he ran out, he immediately brought up another chunk of rock and quickly remade his rock glove and then started anew, he preformed the same technique for five consecutive rounds, and then switched from single tiles to actual rock gloves. In all, he launched five round of projectiles at Joychi, and followed it up with six pairs of rock gloves; all which was meant to make the bender use his bending to halt the rock’s advancement.

kong
Aug 4, 2010 15:38:09 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 4, 2010 15:38:09 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

Kong had watched as her blue-eyed friend looked back at her, not having the where-with-all to turn around out of courtesy; she was too busy studying him, after all. But then, it had happened. The Earth bender's clumsy antics had almost embarrassed her in front Tenshio and her elderly neighbor, who just so happened to be outside trimming her bonsai tree. Mrs. Bei Lung was always out around this time. Warm afternoons just before tea time proved to be her favorite...

A verbal warning, the Northern Water Tribe native had suggested. She possessed an intellect that most would brag about (she chose not to) and she couldn't think of mouthing a simple "heads up?" The situation was enough to induce a giggle out of Shi Yang. "Of course, excuse me," was the sincere apology offered onto Tenshio by Kong. "Luckily for my accident-prone persona, there are no more turns. My home is just there." The teenager would then use her index finger to point just ahead to the house in which she had lived for the past seven or so years.

The house was nothing short of lovely, and certainly nothing more than presentable. The earthen tan color of its walls looked as though the house had recently been cleaned, although some of the dark green roof shingles appeared as though they needed to be replaced. Wooden doors allowed entry inside of the house, and a wooden picket fence allowed entry unto the yard itself. Kong went first to open the latch of the gate for her official house guest.

"I see that my mother has failed to tend to the garden today," the Upper Ring citizen said aloud unconsciously as she took note of the flower bed. Mrs. Shi Yang had probably neglected her chore in favor of attending a tea party full of pompous socialites. The tulips stood upright, fresh and crisp. But the wall of stones bordering the bed was off - one of the stones, a gray and oblong shaped one, was not in line with the rest. The novice bender stomped her foot, and not a second later would the stone pop into the air and then come back down in it's rightful place. Content with the garden's fixed appearance, Kong began to walk toward the front door of the house - but then stopped suddenly and turned to look at Tenshio. How would he react to the fact that she had just revealed herself to be an Earth bender?
This user is a guest
yulan
Aug 4, 2010 18:46:17 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Aug 4, 2010 18:46:17 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lower Ring - Apothecary

Mahone capped the ceramic bottle, tugged gently to ensure that it was properly sealed, then opened the window at the back of her workshop and stuck her head outside. Pulling down her mask, she puffed in several deep breaths, the scent of hot dust and garbage filling her nostrils. Faintly she could pick out a whiff of wet clay and paint. The fetid medley was unpleasant, but it also helped push back the hazy fog that had been encroaching on her senses.

Once she felt clear-headed enough to continue, Mahone shut the window and turned around. Books, bottles, loose sheets of paper lay a haphazard mess on the wooden countertops between instruments and apparatuses of varying sizes. The shelves were no better, packed so full she'd had to stack some of her belongings on top. A large cabinet in the corner housed some of the most volatile substances she had to work with, as well as the most valuable. Mahone wished much luck to whoever wanted to find the key to the chains keeping it locked.

The room was clutter and confusion, yes, but it was home. Perhaps her clients would be dismayed to discover that someone who worked so closely with drugs, not all of them medicines, was so disorganized, but Mahone knew perfectly well where everything was. There was a certain comfort to be found in the cramped feel of her workroom, an air of perpetual busy-ness. As her mentor liked to say, only apothecaries with too much time on their hands ever found a chance to tidy their space.

The woman crossed back to the table and tucked Long Feng's bottle into her satchel. Before she left, a memory of a promise flitted through her mind and she paused to pluck another bottle from the shelf, also slipping it into her satchel. Satisfied, Mahone made for the Underground's headquarters.

Long Feng was no longer there - come to think of it, nor were the dark-skinned soldier or little Yulan. One of the freed prisoners pointed outside; she found her customer training the lieutenant in what were undoubtedly secret ancient Dai Li techniques. Mahone observed them in mildly interested silence until she was able to catch the former Secretariat's eye.

She held up the white ceramic bottle and a square of brown cloth. "As you requested, a bottle of chloroform," she said, keeping her voice low so the lieutenant wouldn't hear. Loyal soldier of the Earth Kingdom he was, but therein lay the problem. It was his job to protect the law; Mahone's job occasionally required her to disrespect it.

"Do you need instructions? Apply the liquid," to demonstrate, she pressed the cloth against the cap and turned the bottle upside-down, "and hold against the mouth and nose. Thirty seconds should be enough, though once the subject stops responding, you may also stop."

Smiling, Mahone handed the items over. "I estimate he'll be out for about twenty minutes. Restrain him if you must... Repeated applications are ill-advised. The margin between unconsciousness and death is rather slim, and you are not a trained surgeon."

The woman raised her eyebrows, still smiling. Or are you?[/color]
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 4, 2010 20:24:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 4, 2010 20:24:55 GMT -6

Everyone’s favorite apothecary came back quite fast. Well, he did not know where she lived or where her apothecarian duties stranded her. For all he knew she could live a few blocks down or her work station was a few blocks down. The gamble was simple; he did not know where she lived. That might prove problematic when it came to taking out the Dai Li’s massive underwater base. That being said, only the beginning part of that operation would be problematic, and that part was the part that involved moving the various explosives. But alas, like everything before it, the pompous man was certain that it could be easily managed, much like the current training.

The earthbender assumed his standard posture when Mahone approached, hopefully the pleasantries could be avoided this time around. Immediately, she presented the item that he so desperately needed in his current gauntly shape. His eyes shimmered at the site of the concoction. So much rested on it working properly, certainly, the apothecary knew that too. Before the cold ceramic could touch his pale hands, the woman began speaking about the proper method of application. Yes, yes, he knew how to use something like this. Despite this being his first time actually administering the chemical, he knew how the chemical was used. That being said, he certainly did enjoy her brief, unnecessary lesson.

Thirty seconds! That seemed short, but the man knew that that was enough to screw up what he was planning on doing. It was too long a wait. Still, that probably only applied to the correct application of the solution. His method, while more provincial, would hopefully be more effective. After all, he didn’t care if his target lived or died. No, that wasn’t true, he wanted him to die. He had to die; otherwise, there would be another threat to his continued existence.

In response to Mahone’s fun little quip, the emerald-eyed man responded back with, “Yes, yes. I am certain that I can properly do as instructed. You need not worry about my follies.” As always, his tone was calm, and sprinkled with just enough sincerity to not warrant any further investigation on its sincerity.

Eagerly, and almost greedily, the former reagent quickly grabbed the two items when they were finally within reach. However, his eagerness was no longer shown when they finally in his grasp. Carefully, he set the bottle down on the ground and folded the brown cloth into a small square, a tradition method of folding in the Earth Kingdom, for obvious reasons, and then picked up the Bottle.

All the while, Mahone continued her word slurry. The last bit brought about a chuckle from the former grand secretariat, and when he arose with an item in each hand, he was met with an expression and only furthered his humor. As expected, he chuckled again, the situation was just too ripe with humor to escape Long Feng without one.

“No, no, no. I was a lot of things before now, but never a doctor. Of that, I can assure you.” He half-smiling said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a student to prepare.” He bowed and then called the former Lieutenant over. “Joychi, if I might have a word you!”

Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 0:12:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 0:12:41 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Tenshio couldn’t help wondering at the difference in tone between the two of them. Kong’s speech was much more formal than he was used to. Well, that was probably the result of her upper-class upbringing. He’d heard the same proper language from the noble families of the Northern Tribe. It was odd; it made him feel as though somehow, by not speaking with as much precision as some, he was somehow inferior. The Waterbender wasn’t happy about that. He was used to feeling less-than most (that came with his lack of self-confidence) but that didn’t mean he liked it.

The young man shook his head, pulling his mouth out of the frown into which it had unconsciously sunken. Thinking depressing thoughts, especially about something as simple as how others spoke, would do him no good. Besides, why was he thinking of such things now? He was about to enjoy a pleasant conversation with a new acquaintance (perhaps more than that). There was no reason to occupy himself with gloomy thoughts. It would be best to be optimistic about the experience to come. That way things would turn out for the better.

Content once more, Tenshio focused back on Kong, who was reaching the gate to her house. The building was beautiful. He found himself feeling a twinge of jealousy. Kong’s abode was quite a bit nicer than most dwellings in the Northern Tribe. While none of the buildings in his home were shabby, they were rather simplistic. From what he could see, the Upper Ring was home to much more ornate structures. But what did that matter, really? A house was a house. All houses served the same basic purpose anyway; appearance was insignificant.

The Waterbender was fast becoming aware that he had a habit of going off into tangents, even in his own mind. Clamping down on the many stray thoughts running through his mind, he concentrated on Kong, just in time to see her small display of Earthbending. Now that was interesting. The blue-eyed man had seen Earthbending before, but never actually talked to any Earthbenders. He would love to ask Kong about her talent, given the chance. For now, though, he didn’t say anything, and merely followed behind the teenager as she entered her home. Questions could come later.
kong
Aug 5, 2010 11:30:50 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 5, 2010 11:30:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

He had nothing to say? Really? Were her bending skills just that atrocious that Tenshio felt the need to apply the old motta, "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all?" Hopefully not - it had taken her nearly a week just to learn how to pop a rock like she had just done. Having to teach yourself meant that you were always a step behind everyone else, at least to Kong anyway.

The young woman turned the brass knob that belonged to the front door of the house. She slowly pushed it open, calling for her mother. There was no reply. She looked back at Tenshio with a lesser smile on her face, saying, "No one is home. If we are lucky, we can complete our business before either of my parents returns."

Walking past a large mirror hung up on the wall, Shi Yang took note of her own reflection. She looked over herself once, up and down. Her clothes, and her hair, and her skin tone. If she had had more time, perhaps she would have enjoyed spending more time performing self-inspection; but the reflection of a tall, brown skinned, blue-eyed male appearing behind her own quickly reminded the young Earth bender of what she needed to do.

"Tenshio, as my guest I ask that you sit anywhere that you like. I will return soon; I am going to prepare the Jasmine tea that I mentioned before at the library." With these parting words, Kong walked out of the parlor and into the next room, which just so happened to be the kitchen.

"Leaving Tenshio alone might not have been the best idea,"
thought Kong as she filled the tea kettle with water and then placed into onto the cast iron stove boil. "What if he is a pirate, and I return to find everything gone? I'm too smart to be so ... reckless." Indeed, this was a reckless and out-of-character thing for the young lady to be doing. What could be the driving force behind it all? It was not her parents expectations of her, she knew that they were only human and were doing the best they could - flaws and all. Was this her? Sixteen has proven itself to be a pivotal year in every young person's life so far. Was there more to come?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 13:12:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 13:12:06 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Tenshio followed the girl into her house, noticing how no one responded to her call. Apparently they were the only ones in her home. That was odd, but it didn’t bother him. In fact, it was better that way; he could avoid awkward introductions. The Waterbender looked around at the room he had just entered. It was large, and quite nice. He would have liked to see the rest of the house, but thought it might be better not to ask. He didn’t want to intrude upon Kong’s family’s privacy.

The girl’s initial words concerned Tenshio and confirmed his suspicion that perhaps Kong’s parents would be as comfortable with his visit as the teenager had said. That worried him. The black-haired young man didn’t want to make Kong’s parents angry at him, or worse, at her for bringing him into their home. But maybe it wouldn’t come to that. Perhaps their “business” would be done before Kong’s parents got home, as the girl had said.

As Kong found herself staring at the mirror, so did the male behind her. He didn’t often bother to look at his reflection—his appearance rarely changed—but now he took the opportunity to do so. His gaze was immediately drawn to the scar on his left cheek. He raised a hand to touch it, smiling as the memory of how it had come to be filled his mind. That had been a painful experience, but also one of learning. Now he knew to be more cautious, and that he didn’t need to prove that he was better than everyone else.

Tenshio was so busy getting lost in his memories that he almost didn’t hear what Kong said. As it was, he did, and nodded in response. Once the teenager had departed the room, the male looked for a place to sit. Spotting a chair, he walked over to it and took a seat. He looked around at the room some more, but soon got bored of that activity. So, as often happened when he lost interest in his surroundings, the young man pulled out his water skin and began bending the liquid within it. In seconds he had the water dancing playfully in front of him, following the motion of his hands. At first he just formed simple shapes, but soon had the water divided into two pieces, which began revolving around each other in a poor imitation of the koi in the Spirit Oasis in the Northern Tribe. The motion was simple, but his full concentration was required to keep the water moving. Tenshio, focused completely on his bending, was enjoying himself immensely.
kong
Aug 5, 2010 14:03:52 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 5, 2010 14:03:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

As the water inside of the kettle began to simmer and emit steam, a couple of stomps on the ground would place two more clumps of coal into the belly of the black, cast iron stove located toward the back of the Shi Yang's kitchen. With an absent mind, the host of today's little tea party would place Jasmine leaves in a couple of mugs and then place said mugs upon a tray. Then she went to the pantry, pulling down containers of cream and sugar. Kong preferred her tea with a little cream and two sugar cubes, but for etiquette's sake she would take all of the ingredients to Tenshio at once.

Well, this was it. She had gone this far, and now didn't even know what to ask the young man seated in her family's parlor. How far could she push the envelope before crossing the boundary known as privacy invasion? Would he think any less of her for asking such questions that should have been common knowledge to anything with a pulse? And what was that weird swooshing sound she heard? Kong turned toward the door, but then set her sights on the tea kettle. It sounded like water, so it had to be coming from there - oddly enough, the kettle had never made this sound before. First she placed the cream and sugar containers on the tray next to the two mugs, and then poured the scolding hot water into the mugs. The smell of the Jasmine flavor being boiled out of the dry leaves was a familiar and welcoming aroma.

Grasping the entire metal tray with both hands, the noblewoman made her way back to the door which had allowed her entry into the kitchen before. She took a deep, calming breath before turning her rear end to the door. Doubled over, she pushed back, using her rump to open the door. Once through the door frame, she closed her eyes, regained full height, and turned around. "The tea is done," she said with a smile. Upon opening her eyes the smile was replaced with an open mouth of shock and bewilderment. The funky display of water juggling only meant one thing: Tenshio was a bender, too!
This user is a guest
Last edit by kong: Aug 5, 2010 15:04:22 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 14:38:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 14:38:50 GMT -6

Upper Ring

Tenshio continued bending as he waited for Kong to return. It was amazing how calming of an activity it was. Whenever he was bending, all his worries seemed to disappear. Watching the water move as he asked it to made the young man feel as though nothing could harm him while he was bending. That had been disproven before, on several unpleasant occasions, but Tenshio didn’t think about that at the moment. He was at peace, and would like to stay that way.

Unfortunately for the Waterbender his calm was about to be shattered. He didn’t hear Kong come in, nor what she said, so when he looked up all that met his eyes was the girl’s look of shock. Seeing that, the expression on Tenshio’s face changed to one of alarm and his hands ceased their movements, the forgotten water falling on the floor. Silently, the male leaned down and bent the water out of the floor and back into his water skin, focusing back on Kong once that was done. ”Sorry, I shouldn’t have…” he muttered, letting the sentence die, not sure how to continue.

Thoughts flew his head. Why did Kong look so shocked? Had she never seen Waterbending before? Did she not expect him to be a bender? But he had confirmed that he was from the Northern Tribe; shouldn’t that have alerted the girl to the fact that he was probably a Waterbender? Why, then, was she staring at him as though he had suddenly grown an extra head?

A new, sinister thought then entered his mind. Was this some sort of trap? Maybe Kong was secretly working for the Fire Nation and had been waiting for him to show proof of bending talent before turning him in and getting him hauled off to prison. It was certainly possible. The blue-eyed young man had heard that the Fire Nation had spies everywhere, looking for benders to capture or eliminate.

But the teenager seemed too nice to be a spy. Besides, if she had wanted to kidnap him, she could have done that in the crowded streets of the Middle Ring, where no one would be likely to notice. Certainly people had seen him enter her home; wouldn’t they start to wonder if he didn’t come out? This was so confusing! But he shouldn’t jump to conclusions. If he did something rash, he could end up in serious trouble. So Tenshio just continued to stare at Kong, his eyes wide, waiting for her to make the first move.
kong
Aug 5, 2010 15:30:13 GMT -6

Post by kong on Aug 5, 2010 15:30:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Upper Ring

Whoa. There he was, an actual water bender sitting before her (as opposed to the normal tribesman that she thought he was just moments prior). Today was just turning into one huge twist after the other. Kong watched the water fall to the ground, followed by the apologetic look on Tenshio's face. Had her own countenance caused this? His apology cemented her idea that it had. He had let his sentence die off, but she decided to bring it back alive. "... stopped? I hope that is what you were about to say, Tenshio. No one should ever be ashamed of who they are or their abilities."

She didn't know why this had come as a shock to her. She had seen him offering up a prayer when he had first stepped off of the monorail, and studies suggest that those beings in tune with the spiritual aspect of life were likely candidates for bending prowess. Actually, Kong was more surprised at his control of the water rather than his ability itself. Her mind raced as she began to walk toward her guest with the tray of tea. Tenshio couldn't be more than two years older than she was, so how good at water bending was he exactly? Was he genetically endowed, or had he been taught by a master? Did his master live at the North Pole too, or somewhere else? Did that mean Tenshio was a far-walking wanderer, something that Kong had wished she could become one day?

That was enough. Asking herself questions that she didn't know the answer to served his inquisitive nature no good. Sitting beside Tenshio and setting the tray down on the wooden table just before them, Kong looked to him and smiled. She looked back down to the table to prepare her cup of tea just as she liked it. She didn't even look back up to ask, "Tenshio, how old are you?"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 16:35:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 16:35:22 GMT -6

Upper Ring

The silence stretched between them as Tenshio waited for Kong to say or do something that would give him some indication of her feelings on the sudden revelation of his bending ability. His senses were on alert. The Waterbender was ready to bolt if things turned ugly. When the girl spoke, however, her words came as a great surprise, and a relief. She didn’t seem upset about his bending at all, just accepting. But still, she had it wrong. He hadn’t stopped because he was ashamed, but because he was cautious. His bending ability had gotten him in trouble before, and the male had learned that it was better to hide the talent altogether so as not to arouse suspicion or hostility. But he had never been ashamed of his ability to bend. It was a wonderful thing, but one that should be handled with care.

Tenshio wanted to say all this to Kong, to explain his reasons for being so skittish, but found that he couldn’t. The words wouldn’t come. So all he did was mutter softly, ”Thank you.” That, along with a small smile, was his meager attempt at explaining himself. It was pitiful, but it was all he could do. He looked down as the girl approached, embarrassed by his failure to articulate his feelings. He looked up again when she sat next to him, her smile putting him at ease. Her question came as a surprise though. The young man had expected a deluge of questions about his bending. His age was so simple, it caught him off-guard. ”I-I’m seventeen,” he said, his surprise creeping into his speech. ”How old are you?”
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 17:31:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 17:31:07 GMT -6

Joychi looked up at Long Feng as he came back from speaking with the other two girls. He had no idea what had been said, nor did he want to. If it was important that he be aware, then they would surely tell him at one point or another. What mattered right now was this training that Long Feng was giving, and the young Lieutenant was doing his best to remain focused on this, since he would have to teach it to others. So far, everything was alright, he managed to assimilate these rather quickly and without too much trouble. Now, all he could hope for was that the other benders would show as much talent.

He took at defensive Earthbending stance when Long Feng slid away. The goal was now to defend against "these", but the young man wasn't sure what "these" were. No, it would be more accurate to say he knew what it meant, but hoped he was wrong. However, when Long Feng created gloves, he realized he was right... to his own dismay. His first reflex was to back away, but unfortunately the wall was right behind him - he'd just slid down, after all. It seemed his only choice was to, as the former Secretariat had said, block, stop and dodge the incoming projectiles.

The first ones were rather easy to dodge, since they were the only ones he was seeing. Joychi just needed to side step or switch positions to avoid getting hit. The next few were a bit harder. He got hit a couple of times because he could only doge the ones he saw - and the speed made it hard to see them all. Getting hit by a rock tile on the shoulder and the knee really hurt a lot. Were he not taking his stance, his limbs might have been pushed backwards, and it would have hurt more. So he started blocking some of them, using his palms.

But it proved to be harder than he was thinking. Avoiding one tile, blocking another that was just a bit lower, and then getting hit by the one to the left. That was more or less the pattern of his practice at the moment. It was hurting less and less over time, because Joychi was getting used to the pattern, and managed to reduce the force of the impact whenever he saw what was going to hit. But it was exhausting. The gloves that Long Feng sent were the worst thing. Being hit by a glove was pretty much receiving a rocky punch. Breaking them was easier, since they were wider and could be grabbed with more ease. But the once he failed to grab... they hurt a lot.

After a while, Long Feng stopped. And it was good, because the Lieutenant couldn't take it anymore. If he was to keep that up, a moment of rest, short as it was, would be needed. He wasn't hurt to the point that he couldn't fight anymore, but just to the point where his level of energy had dropped greatly. The dark-skinned soldier let himself drop to the floor, arms stretched, face looking upwards, his lungs working at full capacity. Doing this in close quarters was extremely hard, and he now understood why the Dai-Li were so feared and efficient. If he was ever put in such a situation, he wouldn't last long, and might be forced to flee.... or use cunning maneuvers.

His moment of rest and thoughts was interrupted by his teacher, who called him from a bit further, apparently wishing to speak. Joychi let out a deep sigh, then struggled a bit to stand up. As he looked at Long Feng, he noticed that the girl he'd talked to just before the training was over there with him. It startled him a bit... Had something happened ? OR was something going to happen ? Either way, he just hurried before them. "I'm here. Is there a problem ?"
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2010 19:39:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2010 19:39:49 GMT -6

((This is quite lengthy. So um, yeah))

Lower Ring

“Lieutenant, I would like you to continue practicing the techniques that I have just shone you. I doubt you will need my presence for such and endeavor, and so I will be leaving you to your training,” said Long Feng to his younger pupil, and with that he off to attend to his business until the appropriate hour for deviance came upon him.

He waited until nightfall before he left. The streets were easier to manage then, and he had the added bonus of getting his target without much trouble. Thusly, as darkness crept in, he bade goodnight to his comrades and departed.

From what he had heard, the Fire Nation did have patrols out after hours. It was not too surprising. Were he in their shoes he would have done the same, especially considering how much they were loved. At least, when he was in charge, he could trust that culture kept some people from becoming anarchist. Hopefully, he would run into an agent before he met up with a firebender or anyone. With ease, he wandered through the areas that were most likely going to be monitored. However, just as he did this, he also made sure that he was headed in the direction of the wall, and that he had a clear view of the monorail’s rail. Although he was sure that he could never get lost in this city, he did not want to risk that possibility. Too much hinged on him getting to his study and seeing how it was being guarded, if at all. Hopefully, they weren’t any guards to be found. The last thing he wanted was more setbacks.

As he made his way through the silent, filthy streets of the Lower Ring he made sure to note the small changes to various things. Where once green was laid to signify some sort of national pride, there was now red and orange. In addition, off in the distance the buildings that towered over the other buildings were almost completely redone. It was strange to see a red tiled pagoda, with an exquisitely curved yellow trim surrounded by dull, plain looking green tiled shacks. That being said, he knew well the meaning. Looking out to the skyline, if you missed the gigantic red banner or the soldiers clad like monsters, and then you would know well who was in charge by the buildings themselves. The Fire Nation’s newly refurbished buildings stood proudly around the smaller, quainter Earth Kingdom ones. It wasn’t hard to denote who was running this city and the world.

With a heavy sigh, he turned his head away from the tall structure and continued in his search for a Dai Li agent. Hopefully, if and when he found one; he wouldn’t have to fight him. Although it was much too much to ask in terms of good fortune, he hoped that he could find one who was busy about the city; with his back turned to his former leader. That thought triggered him to uncap the compound Mahone had given him, and made him prepare for the future. Carefully, he placed the cloth he had in lieu of the former cap and hoped that by the time he struck at an agent it would be soaked in the solution. However, when that time came, he would need to act quickly. The time in prison had certainly led to his diminished weight and strength. Long Feng wasn’t hoping for a fight, he was hoping for an opportunity to strike. When everything got into position, he would place the cloth into his hand, and then launch the rock gloves, he had just made himself, at the agent, his left would strike the agent in is gut while his right would bring the chloroform soaked cloth to his mouth, there the gloved would force him to inhale the fumes and hopefully collapse, and thusly, giving him an attire that would grant him free reign in the city. Given the luck that he had had, back at the prison, it should not have been a surprise that he was worried about his current success. That being said, his eagerness and anxiety made his disregard the instructions that he was given by the apothecary. Hopefully, that slip up wouldn’t do him too much harm.

His search continued, with no avail. He past the sweaty shops, passed the empty marketplace, and made sure to avoid a few Fire Nation patrols which weren’t very difficult to do. For starters, they were parading around with lanterns; any person with half a brain knew that when there was a faint glow off in the distant that it was the Fire Nation. From experience, he knew that the Dai Li did not walk around with any sort of light source. Such a tactic, while potentially damaging, made their whole patrol routine useful. After all, the Fire Nation Patrols were not going to find him; he was not that stupid.

Minutes passed, and still there weren’t any Dai Li in sight. In order to increase his odd, the gaunt man picked up his pace and despite the resistance from his wiry frame he continued to push himself forward. Eventually, the night’s stillness was shacked by a familiar sound. Footsteps. Muffled and almost inaudible, he was sure that they belonged to an agent. He bit his lip, and then approached the source with a feline’s silence. They belonged to a single pair, and that meant that only one person was their source, then when he finally neared their source he smiled brightly at the shadowy, calm man walking a few yards away. There was his target, here was his chance, and all he needed to do now was to wait for the most opportune moment.

Bitterly, he hoped against the odds that the agent would head into an alley or someplace where he could silently get at him without the risk of being caught. Because of this, he kept his pursuit going for a good ten to fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, this couldn’t go on forever. There was a time limit. He needed to reach the palace, before it was alive with motion and properly alert eyes. With that in mind, Long Feng picked up his pace.

The agent rounded the corner, and Long Feng made sure to follow him. This pursuit went on for quite some time until it became clear that the agent would never make his way into an alley or any place like that. Damn, he was hoping for some privacy! But if that wasn’t an option then he could still get his prize out in the open, that was, unless of course, Mahone hadn’t given him the proper compound. No, it was too early for that woman to suspect anything else out of him. She hadn’t sabotaged him because there wouldn’t be anything to gain from it, in fact there was only loss to be inherited from his demise.

But still, back at the point that mattered. The woman was an apothecary; she obviously knew her craft, as made apparent during their escape. This would work; all he had to do was time himself accordingly. His rock gloves were already made and plating his hands. The compound was already soaking into the cloth so he didn’t have to worry about making any noise by removing the cap. As he continued to trail the agent, he waited for the perfect moment. There needed to be an alley nearby, or at least some small enclosure that offered him privacy.

The moon still hung high in the sky, and thankfully, like the escape there were clouds keeping it from further lighting up the darkness. Now, thought the former grand secretariat as he quickly pulled the cloth from the bottle, and then launched both rock gloves at the agent. He watched, nervously, as they headed for their target. As planned, the left fist would strike first, and then right over his mouth. Long Feng narrowed his eyes as he watched his gloves reach his target. The agent wasn’t turning around; he wasn’t fighting back, and looked inebriated for lack of a better term. Then after a few seconds, the body went limp and collapsed. With a grin, he slid over, and then dragged the traitor into a nearby ally. He still wasn’t done, he motioned for his right glove to return to his hand, and then he quickly dipped the cloth back into the substance and then placed it over the agent’s mouth and nose. With his left hand, he then began to force the man’s diaphragm to contract accordingly; he needed to breathe in more. With care, he pulled his sinewy right hand’s fingers out from the rock gloves and then felt for the agent’s pulse near his neck’s artery. The force and rate was erratic, but slowly it began to diminish in strength and number until it finally ended all together. Inside he laughed a little, but outside he quickly went to work.

He removed the dark green li, and then placed aside. Unfortunately, the rest didn’t go as he had hoped; the former Dai Li commander struggled as he removed the agent’s robe, as well as his under dress. Likewise, he did the same to himself, making sure that as soon as he was down to his skivvies; the clothing he had removed from the agent was quickly on his bare flesh. Then he directed his attention to the agent’s queue and removed the end strip of green silk, and he attached it to his own. When at last the li was placed on his head, he buried the corpse underground with his bending. Another agent down. Although this method was easier and less dangerous than the other one, its results weren’t immediate. By taking the fight directly to the Dai Li’s base of operations; they could easily take out a huge chunk of them.

Clad in new attire, the former grand secretariat made his way to the monorail track that he had made sure stayed within view. Like an agent, when he reached the tall stone columns that supported the monorail’s track, he quickly began to scale it as he remembered his agents always had. It was basically rock-climbing only faster considering he was practically scaling a flat surface. When he reached the top, he heaved himself into the track. Should a train make its way to him he could easily avoid it. With care he assumed the usual stance, and then sent his arms behind himself and quickly slid across the surface. This was the way to travel this city. Surely, this would make up for the lost time spent walking.

It felt nice, the wind against his skin, the feeling of freedom. Long Feng stayed silent the entire time. He had to remain incognito, and as an agent of all things. They were always silent, even under his rule. They were a strange group the Dai Li; not even he, their former leader, knew how they fully thought. The greatest mystery about them was how they communicated. With just a single glance, it was like they immediately conveyed their message. A hive mind if there ever existed such a thing. But maybe that was the end result. They were trained like copies of one another. Chosen at birth by himself, and then raised with other agents in the same environment with the same stimuli; perhaps those experiences shaped them all to be equals in thought. That could properly explain it, if they thought the same way, then each of them would come up with the very same idea given a certain scenario, and then with a glance they set out to do what they would in that scenario. It was tricky to explain. They were tricky to explain.

Given the situations that occurred the previous days, one would expect Long Feng to be unable to continue, but that night’s event had forced so much adrenaline into his body that he wasn’t able to sleep. The only thing that felt right with his current chemical imbalance was to keep on moving. With each breath, he felt more alive, and with each deep inhalation of the cold night’s air he was further propelled to keep on track, and to do a little more.

Up ahead, the rail split into three, two headed for other stations around the Lower Ring and the center once headed for the Middle Ring. With enthusiasm, he gently followed the track on the right. Clearly, he wasn’t correct railing, but no matter, with the adrenaline that surged through his body he was itching for something exciting. Just before the track made the full turn to the right, he leapt, and with the help of his bending he was soaring through the nighttime sky. He wanted to laugh and scream at the sensation, the thrilling blood churning sensation, but he remained silent. With joy, he landed on the center rail and then continued toward the Middle Ring.

Middle Ring

At first sight, the Middle Ring looked quite a bit more different than he had remembered her. Like the Ring under her, she too was different with a Fire Nation banner covering the Earth Kingdom insignia which once towered over everything. Along his right, there were quite a few new additions to the otherwise well kept Ring. For starters, the new additions to the scenery didn’t even try to hide their nation of origin. Constructed out of metal, they looked like the prison watchtowers the Underground had taken out not to long ago. The difference being that these were sturdier. From what he could tell, there was one per ten mile circumference. Still, this posed the bigger question of why the Fire Nation chose this ring out of all the others to build so much in such a short amount of time.

There was a part in him that felt hurt at this sight. This was where he was born, and where was raised. Within those two walls, he was shaped by his merchant father and strict mother. Looking on at the quiet houses he was reminded of his old home, sure he was raised in the northernmost part of the Upper Ring, but generally speaking it all looked the same. And it didn’t matter because the site of these building still brought back those memories of being forced to learn to read and write at home well before he was supposed to enroll at school. He could still hear his mother’s nurturing voice yelling at him for not remember the proper stroke order for the radical of linen. His parents were good people who only wanted him to succeed. While his mother reared the six of them, as she was supposed to, his father worked his tongue to sell the various wares made in the Lower Ring. It was tragic, that out of their entire family only one would survive.

Upper Ring

The Upper Ring’s vista was quite as he had expected it to be. He knew these people, they were sheep, and as soon as a new Shepard presented itself they flocked to them without hesitation. What made it worse, more so than it already was, was how radical the transformation was. When he arrived at the end the rail, at a monorail station, he quickly got off of the tracks and onto the well paved floor. He agilely walked down each step and then came to better see the red washing that had overtaken this Ring.

Whole buildings were given new rooftops to reflect their change, and from an empty carriage stationed just before the gates to the Hua estate, it was made apparent that everything was redone to reflect their new position. It wouldn’t be surprising if the people were dressed as they were. This was sickening to say the least.

Sourly, he made his way to the Royal Palace, and along the way was reminded of the fickleness of these people. All over the same story was shone; most of these people had accepted their change. Hopefully, this was just an isolated incident. After all, he was in the area of the landed gentry, these people probably knew well to just go with the change rather than fight it. He prayed that that was the case, and not the alternative.

With fast feet, he nimbly raced his way across the somewhat empty, well kept landscapes that belonged to a single house. And then after some thinking, he felt it safe to slide the whole way there, and as had done before, he did again.

Eventually, he arrived near the Royal Palace, and to remain inconspicuous he stopped sliding and began to walk the promenade around the Palace walls like so many people did.

This was certainly strange. Along the walls surrounding the Royal Palace, there weren’t any Dai Li agents to be found. Instead, lanterns illuminated the Fire Nation soldiers that marked the forbidden center of the city. From his position, he tried his best to count the men. Like he had imagined, the current situation offered the reality the Fire Nation was facing here. Per lantern, there was but a single soldier, and they weren’t lined up that well either. They wandered about the high orange wall as expected. They moved one way and then another, back and forth along the same invisible line. Trying their best, each of them did what they could, but it really didn’t matter. There was just too much, and they were too few. Even though the Fire Nation controlled the city, and the occupation looked successful; it was just too much for them to hold onto. Unlike the Underground that figuratively speaking, was taking enormous bites with its plan; the Fire Nation looked to be nearly choking as they tried to swallow it all down. It really was a joyous sight to behold, but at the same time; it wasn’t that inspiring. This nation, the most powerful in the world, could not hold onto her spoils.

As he continued along the finely paved streets of the luxuriously crafted Upper Ring, he made sure to note the potential blind spots in the guards’ movements. Sure enough, there were many, some turned too soon, and others just stood there not really doing much. Chances were this constant nightly watch was far from the splendor that was the Lower Ring. Here, the people behaved themselves, and there really wasn’t that much they needed to fear. The surrounding was proof to that fact. The luxury homes and family estates were retrofitted to resemble something from the Fire Nation. The orange tiles that once lined the roofs were red, and even the guards now sported a new attire, courtesy of the city’s new rulers. It was really quite outrageous, but proved a point, the rich were pawns; the nobility was less noble than the pauper. Out of all the places that had changed the most, this no longer resembled its proper continent. It really was quite astonishing. Then again, what else was expected, all these people cared about was their image, their wealth. Earth King, Fire Lord, nobleman, baron, lord, nothing really matter as long as they had their gold. These people were probably the first to accept the new rule.

But no matter, they would be dealt with come the end. They would be rewarded much like the Dai Li were going to be rewarded. Surely, the poorest among the Lower Ring weren’t going to mind filling their claws in these people’s coffers. With a look of disdain on his face, Long Feng continued his way to the palace. If the Dai Li were as he imagined they were, there would not be much resistance to him just walking in through the front door. However, when he was to return, he would need a little more care than what he was going to do. With his rigid posture, and his queue, he knew he looked just as his agents did. And with his haughty air; he knew that he could fool the six men that stood guard by the gate into the Royal Palace. With each step, he was able to get a better view of the men that were soaked in the bright light of the lantern held above their heads. Two of them were holding spears, and the others wore the monstrous armor of firebenders. When he came into view, he knew that they were watching, but in order for this to work, he needed to keep up the charade.

When he reached the center of the group, the two spearmen crossed their weapons and signified him to halt. This wasn’t good. With his hands held patiently behind his back as all agents did, he could strike or do anything without first being cooked by the four firebenders that surrounded him. No, no, he needed to stay calm. An agent was above these; he had to be, their Princess stole them from him. The man to his right then asked him a question about where he was headed. Long Feng stayed silent. Hopefully, the Dai Li still acted as they once had; his business was his own, and not theirs to know. The man asked again, and Long Feng made sure his face was hidden by the shadow of his li, and turned to face the one asking the questions. He remained like that, it was the only thing he knew to do. He could not fight them, he was surrounded. It was the only thing to do, the most probable action an agent would take, given this situation. Thusly, there he stood for nearly half a minute, not flinching and barely breathing. Eventually, the guard gave up, the spearmen retracted their weapons, and Long Feng continued to walk forward as if nothing happened. It was a very different story to what was actually going on; his heart was beating, like crazy, and all over his body he could feel his sweat clustering together. Truly, it was a horrible sensation. But the worst was over; he fooled those guards, and had made it into the Royal Palace.

Tilting his li up, he took note of the men on the wall. They all continued their strange guard patterns, and seemed disconnected from the real world. From what he could count, there were over fifty of them, tiny, nearly invisible men only made clear by the light cast by the lanterns that were suspended above their heads. If they were going to take the city back by force, this would be the hardest part to take back. It was designed that way. As he walked on the pale stone toward the palace, he couldn’t help but think about hard the inevitable reconquest would be. It was only made even more apparent as he looked around. There was so much space here, the Fire Nation could hold back and wait out until the Fire Lord sent supplies back. With a sigh, he tried to banish the dark thoughts out, but his mind would not yield, and those thoughts about the Underground’s fate continued to grow.

In time, he made his way to the stairs. No way was he going to walk each and every step. Turning right, he made his way to the solid straight stone that the stairs were carved out from. By raising his forearms, he quickly raised a column of earth from beneath his feet, then when he made it to the top; he stepped onto the block of earth and sent his column back into the earth. The bender repeated this maneuver once more, until he finally reached the top and the actual entrance to the palace. Like the many obstacles before him that day, he slowly reached the door and entered it without any hesitation. Inside, the palace remained relatively unchanged. Sure, the colors were different, but there wasn’t any radical structural change. Well, there was one dramatic change in the center of the room, where the circular insignia was once inlaid; there was now a red trident to be found. Surprisingly, only two men stood guard inside, firebenders by the looks of them. They didn’t nod or act all, they just stood there, seemingly empty.

Thusly, without delay, he made his way to right corridor and followed its path. Like the room before it, it was draped in red, but still relatively unchanged. As he furthered his journey to his private library, he made note of how quiet the palace was. Sure it was night, but he was sure that there would at least be some kind of hustle and bustle. Or at least some sign that there was life in this place, but alas, there was relative silence. A few steps could be heard in the distance, but in its entirety the palace was empty. He expected a little more security, but then again, given how many guards there were before then, it wasn’t a surprise that there weren’t any guards walking the corridors. That being said, getting someone else in there with him would prove to be a liability. His attire was the sole reason he was this far, it was the reason he passed so many checkpoints unscathed. Whoever else accompanied him on his return trip was going to be in for some serious sneaking. Hopefully, come that time, he could make things easier for them. How and which way, he still didn’t know.

Turning left, Long Feng thought about how positive this whole trip had been, all around the city there were only signs of how badly managed this occupation was. Even here, at the center of it all, the halls were empty and ripe for people who didn’t belong. In time, he made it to his private study. Quietly, he opened the door and entered the room, to his left the green flame that he much loved was dead, and all around the many shelves of his study lay barren with their contents scattered on the floor. He closed the door, and then made his way to the fire pit; the darkness didn’t bother him, it never had. Once there, he felt the right side and upon finding the pair of spark rocks, he quickly started up the flame. He had to do this quickly; he had to make sure that the things were here. The fire pit it still stood as he had left it, so its contents were still beneath it. The map was the only thing that could have been lost.

Earnestly, he rushed to the nearest pile of paper and searched for a dark green tome. Thankfully, he found one. Ba Sing Se’s name was etched on its cover and inside its contents remained. It was a single piece of parchment that was meant to be unfolded and then linked together with the other pieces of parchment and thusly form the entire city. The one he held in his hands was part of the Middle Ring with part of the Upper Ring on the bottom. The bender sighed in relief and then placed the parchment back into the tome. He knew the others were in this mess, somewhere. But they would have to find them themselves when they came. Quietly, Long Feng got to his feet and then, using the appropriate blanket, he smothered the green flame dead, and left his study.

As he exited his study, he noted a familiar voice echoing on politely. He narrowed his eyes and noted that sounds were not that far away. Quickly, he made his way to where the woman’s echo was most likely originating from. Sure enough, a few feet away from him was a small group of people chatting with a familiar, chipper face.

From the looks of it, she was headed to sleep. This late, he would have doubted this fact were she not standing just a few yards away and in a fancy light green, sleeping gown.
At this part in the palace, and judging by the direction of the travel, they were headed to Queen’s Consort’s room. Without a moment’s hesitation upon realizing this fact, Long Feng darted to that room. Silently, he entered the chamber where non castrated men were once forbidden to enter. He had never set foot in this room, but judging by the fine green linens that hung from the ceiling and the large cozy bed, it hadn’t changed much. After shutting the door, he quickly made his way to its side, removed his hat, and then waited for the room’s occupant.

Sure enough, the door slowly crept open, and just before it swatted him in the face and announced his presence; he used his big toe to slow its advance and made the end of its motion seem more plausible. Her voice was just a chipper, and her bidding goodnight was as he had imagined.

Behind the fancy door, he waited until she finished her farewells, but still he couldn’t strike. They had to be some distance away before he could do anything. He waited a few moments before he made move. Quickly, he pushed the door shut with the foot that kept it from closing on him, and then launched his rock gloves at Joo Dee’s mouth. She fell, trying her best to scream and to call for aid. She wriggled and squirmed like a trapped animal that knew death was imminent. Around her face her veins began to show as she tried her hardest to escape, but it was all in vain. It was a little comforting to be honest, and with a sinister smile Long Feng approached his former servant.

“Please, Joo Dee, calm down. There is no need to scream, after all, the Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai.” The veins about her face relaxed, and she fell into the typical robotic stupor. When he heard her mouth the required reply, the rock gloves slid off of her pale face and onto the verdant carpet. With a hand motion, they flew back into their former place, “Good.”

He walked closer still, to the hypnotized woman who know kneeled before him, and then made sure his voice was near a whisper.

“What happened to the Avatar?” He asked, and immediately she responded with something that sounded prerecorded. Apparently, the Fire Nation Princess killed him, in some underground battle. “The caverns?” According to her, no. They were still a secret, even from them. “The occupation, how goes it?” As seen from his travel, the Fire Nation was indeed struggling to maintain a grip on the city. As she continued to speak, she continued to spill information that his was not the only insurgency group fighting against the Fire Nation. No real surprise there. But it meant that these groups would have to be found so as to better their offenses. “Who is in charge of the city?” Her reply was what he expected, but still it astounded him. She was the Supreme Bureaucratic Administrator, appointed by that princess. “And the Dai Li?” She too was given control by the princess. So, as he already knew. The Fire Nation princess owned them, but under her was Joo Dee. However, unbeknownst to anyone, he owned Joo Dee. So he still had some control, however veiled it really was. “Back to the city, how long until the reinforcements arrive from around the Colonies?” It varied, great. That being said it meant that the Fire Nation was indeed in deep troubles. For the supplies to arrive in disjointed clumps, it meant that as soon as they were found they were sent over. Subsequently, they were indeed struggling to maintain a hold over this city. From what she further added, just about every resource was being diverted to the city; even from other cities, like Omashu. “What about my private study? What happened?” He guessed about as much. Once he was gone, and the city Azula’s; she had his private study ransacked for any good information, but with the bad came the good. They failed to get the things he came for. They ignored his maps as well as the fire pit.

Turning to other subjects, “Instruct the Dai Li that they are to station less agents to guard the bases. In addition, your position is a folly. Begin asserting yourself more; use the Fire Lord’s daughter’s name, should any doubt your legitimacy to rule. Also, have all information regarding possible insurgency groups sent to the Dai Li’s headquarters under Lake Laogai, and give them more power when it comes to such matters. In the event that such a place no longer exists, dispose of it.

“Now, you can further help me by eliminating a few, radical individuals. The following people will trouble me if they are not dealt with: The Earth King, The Council of Five, every scribe in the royal palace or any who had contact with the king. See to it that they find their morning cup of tea laced with an eager heir’s tonic, use the Dai Li if you have to.”

Slowly, he began to make his way back to the door. “Oh, and I was never here,” he added just before he left the room. His conscience was absolved, clean of any guilt. The city’s map was still intact; his hidden fortune still hidden, and most important, the underground was still safely underground. A sinister smile soon curved its way around his flat, chapped lips, and he calmly began his journey back to the Underground’s head quarters with his mission a success.