The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Ba Sing Se VI

Anonymous
Apr 29, 2010 15:17:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 29, 2010 15:17:57 GMT -6

ANARCHY IN THE E.K.

-UPPER RING, THE ESTATE OF BURUSHI WANG-

Suigetsu tried to hide his stage fright under the guise of fine-tuning the amount of water in the glasses brought out for him. He tried to reconcile his fear of embarrassment with his fear of gangster justice.
He sighed and tested the tone emitting from the glasses. The wooden stand in front of him was filled with a dozen glasses and panicked further when he had only used four at a time.
What was worse he had forgotten his fake name.

"Um...Hi? I am..." Suigetsu searched his mind for the name he chose for being easy to remember. She was a frizzy-haired girl with an awkward smile who once kissed him on the cheek when he was eleven and living with his mother's relatives. He remembered where he got the name but not the name itself. He remembered the feeling of her wiry hair brushing against him, but not the name of the girl who dared do such a thing.
"Mizuki. Sorry." The apology was more for the little girl with a penchant for strange and angry boys who help her up when she slips in the snow.

Ever the patriot Suigetsu played the national anthem. It wasn't that of the North Pole but of his adopted home of the Earth Kingdom. Despite the added challenge of extra glasses and tones it was the one song he knew he could not screw up. He had played it over and over for the warrior couple who taught him to fight. The motions were rote but the feeling of finally finding a place where he belonged wasn't.
He didn't use every glass and note available to him, but felt he did the song justice instead of his usual self-criticism.

With a feeling of confidence he wished that Han were not too busy looking for the mask to see him. Both her and Tatsuya were doing their jobs while he was there to provide a distraction and basically stay out of the way.
Since he was given no time estimate on how long he should distract the crowd Suigetsu wondered out loud if he should do another song. Only when someone answered did he realize he had verbalized his thought.

Every song he knew vanished from his head at that moment. The audience stared in anticipation. Suigetsu nervously stuck out his shaking hand and created a tone by running his index finger along the rim of one of the glasses. Then another and another. As he did this he thought of a song he had been experimenting with. He couldn't even remember if it was something he heard once or created but for this night it was his. He sped up until his hands were a blur and a fast-paced song people could dance to was played.

He tapped his feet on the floor to keep his rhythm but intensified it when it dawned on him a drum-like sound was made from it. It was loud, fast-paced and seemingly very conflicted. Most of the crowd stared at him blankly as if they didn't know how to react, but there was a young man a few years younger than him smiling and drumming his fingers to the beat.

Suigetsu had enough confidence and inner peace at the moment to pull off a flourish to get the crowd back on his side. Once the final tone was struck the water bender used an earth bending strike to violently send the water from the glasses into the air and water bending to turn it into a shower of tiny ice crystals. It was a simple bending trick in the North Pole but people from the Earth Kingdom seemed to be impressed by it.

People applauded but Suigetsu felt it was more for his closing bending effect than his actual music. Performing was new to him and didn't know whether to go back stage or if he was supposed to mingle with the crowd. Free food and drinks, not to mention messing with rich people appealed to him enough for him to jump off stage see what kind of food was available.

Before he could even pick up the tiniest bit of meat on a small stick Suigetsu found himself looking at a teenager with short black hair bowing and introducing himself.
"I am Reiben. Burushi's ward."

Suigetsu quickly stuffed the meat in his mouth and introduced himself by speaking through the meat. It was fortunate in that he couldn't be understood with his full mouth because he used his real name.
"I mean I'm Mizuki. Yes, I know it's a girl's name don't give me a hard time about it?"

The good-looking young man in the bright red, yellow and green changshan took up more of Suigetsu's time but turned out to be a nice enough fellow who also couldn't bend earth but enjoyed learning the techniques of earth bending.
When the water bender joked if Reiben went out fighting crime at night the brightly clothed teen looked uncomfortable and asked about the whereabouts of Suigetu's fellow performers.
Damn you, Tats! Where the hell are you?

BUTLERING IN

In all of his years being the servant of Wang Manor Airu Feng had many roles. Butler, cook, hider of indiscretions and even occasional bodyguard. The last rarely came up working for his master's parents, but given the nocturnal activities of his current master Airu Feng had to keep in shape.

Feng's weary sigh was that of someone having to do a boring a menial task and wanting it to be over. As far as he was concerned the strong young man brandishing a blade in front of him was just like dusting behind the bookcases. He unbuttoned the jacket of his uniform and then his shirt and exposed a wrinkled but muscular frame. It was at odds with his impeccably combed white hair pulled back in a braid but the pair of silver trench knives pulled together the elegance and danger inherent in the old man's looks.

"Are you lost? Do I need to direct you to the stage, sir? You can perform and no one has to get hurt." The muscular butler twisted at the waist to limber himself up and exposed a tattoo of Koh the Face-Stealer on his back standing above a pile of faceless corpses.
"I'm no Koh, holy be thy name, but I think I still have my face carving faculties. I've never gotten a face off fully intact but perhaps tonight will be different. Or you can leave and entertain the master's guests. Personally I am indifferent."
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Apr 29, 2010 15:57:44 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 1, 2010 9:04:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 1, 2010 9:04:12 GMT -6

*Lower Ring - Underground's HQ*

It was good to see the reactions were rather positive...-ish. With such revelations, things could have gotten out of hand. Luckily the mass had some pretty wise leaders. Long Feng seemed to know how to say things. But afterall he was this city's grand secretariat.

Keeping a clear head in that situation was a tremendous effort. The young memebers of the Underground seemed to be able to cope with it, but Joychi was wonderng just how long it would last. As Suki was saying, they needed to build their own forces in order to take down the Fire Nation's own. Doing that would take some time, since they would have to overcome the fear that had been instilled in the citizens, while also fighting their own.

Though when the next person spoke, the soldier was surprised. It was hard to imagine that anyone here would be so quick and so determined to go on with this plan, since it literally meant destroy the Earth Kingdom. Part of Joychi wanted to shout out how it was insane to think about getting rid of Ba Sing Se's history and culture. He had spent years learning about the history of the Earth Kingdom and of Ba Sing Se. The idea of seeing all that going to waste was crazy. It almost made the Fire Nation's takeover of the city a good thing...

But he stilled these thoughts. It was not his place to object. After all, he was just a soldier, meant to carry out orders and listen. Besides, if this was not meant to be, surely the Spirits would do something to prevent it - or so Joychi hoped.

That's when Long Feng began talking about the Dai-Li. Just the mention of their name stirred up a refrained hatred from Joychi's mind... Those traitors. The gift of Earthbending had been bestowed upon them by their mother Earth, and they only used it to bring the enemies to their nation's head. They needed to be taken down, for sure... Joychi's hand clenched into a fist as Long Feng offered to train them so they could take care of their base. "I do like the sound of that..." He muttered.

The lieutenant then calmed down, listening to the rest of Long Feng's speech. The people were quite an obvious matter. Taking back the city would be ridiculous if the citizens were against it. Then they would have been no different from the Fire Nation. Maybe even worse than them.... And so it seemed they had covered everything they needed to know, or to say.

Joychi stood up and picked up his hat and polearm, about to go lie down somewhere and rest a little. But then Long Feng dropped the A-bomb: The question on the Avatar's whereabouts. It paralyzed Joychi for a couple of seconds. "S-some rumors said that... he died." A random prisoner replied after the moments of whispers. "He did not !!" Joychi yelled at him "He can't have !" The truth behind his statement could never be proven, but he had to say that. Most of the prisoners here lacked hope, and the soldier thought that the news of the Avatar's demise would make all the efforts to organize them wasted. Even though it also served to reassure himself.

But after yelling that, Joychi remained silent, and lay down next to a wall, with a few eyes on him. His heart was clinging to the words he had just said, but he would speak no more, unless asked to. Hopefully, Long Feng would have something reassuring to say on the matter.
Last edit by Deleted: May 1, 2010 19:31:08 GMT -6
ailin
May 1, 2010 12:50:11 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 1, 2010 12:50:11 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: I believe Joo Dee was put in charge, Shio, yeah.)

Lower Ring - Underground HQ

After that outburst, the soldier leaned against a nearby wall, several of the newly recruited members of the Underground watching him and waiting for anything else he might have to add. There was a moment's pause, and everyone became convinced he was going to stay silent for now. They turned their attention back to Long Feng. Suki still watched the soldier for another moment, her expression blank while her eyes betrayed the grief brought back back to the surface.

When her friends had needed her, she hadn't been there. They had all even been in the same city! While she wasted time trying to figure out what was wrong with Ba Sing Se (and the answer now was all too obvious), she could have been looking for them. She could have helped...made a difference.

Now this, the Underground, was the only difference she could make. There was no way to undo what had been done, or erase the regret and guilt she felt but maybe...maybe this would set things right. It could give her some measure of peace.

Still, in that moment, her heart ached for her friends. Losing Sokka became a fresh wound all over again.

"I...had heard the Avatar and his friends had died, too. We're really all the Earth Kingdom has now," Suki said, her voice soft. She cleared her throat and turned her gaze back to Long Feng before she spoke again. "We will need a lot of training to take down the Dai Li, but it has to be done. Knowing the layout of their base will give us great advantage in being able to take them down...but it'll take quite some time training before we're ready to tackle that, I think."

The Kyoshi Warrior paused for a moment, thinking back on how the city had been before the takeover. Pervading silence, broken by hushed whispers. Desperate poverty in the Lower Ring, willful ignorance in the Middle and Upper Rings. Every step haunted by shadows following, and scared stares of a secret no one was willing to speak. The word war had been unheard of in Ba Sing Se. A house in the Middle Ring had been ready for her when she had arrived; a city where news undoubtedly traveled fast. Suki frowned as her mind sorted these memories out. Did Long Feng know how difficult it had been for her to seek aid when she arrived? That pleas for help were being followed or hushed? She could only assume that given the Dai Li had turned traitors, he did not.

"Long Feng, did you know that the Dai Li were doing more than eliminating threats to the monarchy? I came here to seek aid for the war effort and found no one even aware a war existed. At best people just looked at me as if they were afraid of something. I was no threat to the monarchy," said Suki.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 1, 2010 14:13:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 1, 2010 14:13:10 GMT -6

((Hey, Joychi. It’s a new page so don’t forget to put your location in your post.))

Lower Ring—Underground HQ

Part of him wanted to smile at that bit of insight, he was dead. It wasn’t that he enjoyed the idea of a child’s murder, but it was so unbelievable. To think that the Avatar had failed the world, not just once, but twice was so incomprehensible. With that boy’s death, the Fire Nation had won the war, and from the grim expressions pasted on the people’s faces; they knew it to be true.

Once more, his lustrous orbs glanced around the crowd gathered there. A few people, much like him, hadn’t heard the news prior to this explanation. One woman, particular, clenched her chest and held her hand to her mouth, she looked like she was close to fainting; and a bit from her right, a man just grimly starred at the ground. Their hope was gone, even with the small outburst by that lieutenant. Maybe, that was why they stayed; this was a new hope. Their only hope

Then she asked the question he had been preparing for since the calm after the escape. Of course he knew; he made the legislation. That singular decree, to protect the peace, was his finest work. It alone guaranteed him his position for years to come. That one act solidified his power over the city. That was when the peace and order began.

However, he knew what would come if he ever discussed his actual position in the government, and his actual role in the city. As far as anyone knew, he was just Long Feng Grand Secretariat of Ba Sing Se, and head of the Dai Li. In the eyes of the masses, they were puppet positions; the people erroneously believed that he was just the king’s adviser; the reliable reagent from when his majesty was a child. In this city, the truth was always more absurd than the lies.

The former administrator then turned his steely gaze to the young warrior. His words had to come out in a certain way, because if they were misunderstood, then he was culpable.

“Yes. I knew what the Dai Li were doing, as my titles dictate, I knew what was going on. That is not to say that I agreed with it. Remember, I was the Grand Secretariat, not the king. And while I may have been the head of the Dai Li, that was merely a puppet position. All I did was assure the Earth King that the Dai Li were doing as they were told. However, look at it through their eyes. You asked why they watched over you, and why their silenced talk about the war. And while I agree with you that talk is not a danger to the king; panic is.”

“Think back to Chin’s conquest, after he was killed by Avatar Kyoshi, there was a peasant uprising in the city. Through a very inadequate administration, and through terrible information, all people in Ba Sing Se heard about was how Chin was left with two targets to conquer. Ba Sing Se, and the Avatar.”

“While the peasants did revolt because of his majesty’s atrocious rule, they also panicked over the possibility of Chin attacking and ransacking them, and they worried that the king would do little for them. This fueled their rage and eventually they revolted. Why? Because they were panicking over a war.”

“A global war, an absent Avatar, and a city taking in thousands of refugees; sound familiar doesn’t it? That is why they silenced talk, and that was why the king agreed to such measures. He didn’t want the same instability as his great, great grandfather; and so rather than improve the dispersal of information, he silenced all talk of the war altogether. As he put it, ‘this guaranteed the people of Ba Sing Se order, stability and happiness.’”

He could have stopped there, but he needed to change gears. The less they thought about it, the easier it would be to accept it as fact. And thusly, he switched to something that very closely mirrored his past discussion.

“Speaking about government; does anyone know how the city is being run, and by whom, in particular? Is it through a council or a single authoritative figure, much like before it?”

yulan
May 5, 2010 1:22:46 GMT -6

Post by yulan on May 5, 2010 1:22:46 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

Take down the Dai Li.

Mahone blinked, at first uncertain if she'd heard correctly, if she was misinterpreting Long Feng's bold implications in her exhaustion-induced stupor. Then realization began to seep into her bones, icy numbness stabbing into her core, gaining intensity by the second until it reached a painful crescendo. The apothecary inhaled sharply and gripped the front of her stolen uniform, the fabric twisting in her suddenly sweaty hand.

Take down the Dai Li?!

More than the incredulity of the Great Secretariat himself (ex-Grand Secretariat, her mind countered) offering to teach the Underground how to destroy his former underlings was the notion that he - or anyone else in the room - believed their ragtag gathering capable of the feat in the first place. The Dai Li were greatly respected in the Upper Ring, downright feared in the Lower, and a bastard mix of the two sentiments in the Middle. Rightfully so. Their coned heads were everywhere in the city, especially in corners where lawful authority was most unwelcome. Mahone's extracurricular dealings necessitated treading carefully around them; even the bravest of her business contacts did not try or want to interfere with their 'cultural protecting'.

Miracles were in short supply. The Underground had already used one up emerging relatively unscathed from their prison break mission. Did the Little Commander really think spirits would be benevolent enough to grant them another?

But for the too-young leader, the idea wasn't 'can we do it'. It was 'we have to do it'. Because if they didn't, if the Underground did not even put forth the effort, then the alternative was... Waiting for the Dai Li and the Fire Nation to come end their rebellion first, snuff out the Earth Kingdom's last hope.

Yes, she and Long Feng were right. This was not the time to second-guess the path they had to take. Besides, although the Dai Li were freakishly skilled, they were still mere mortals. They trained their outer bodies well, but could not do the same for their insides. And Mahone happened to be someone who was intimately acquainted with methods of ruining a person's insides...

News of the Avatar's death was a hard slap to the face. Stinging pain, momentary shock, but then the pain dulled to a level easy enough to ignore. It was unfortunate, but Mahone hadn't placed much faith in him to begin with. The Avatar hadn't been doing his job for the past hundred years, why should she expect him to start now? Just like the Earth King. Symbols of power, of supposed justice. But reality revealed them to be useless figures in the end. Despite the maelstrom of anxiety and anger roiling in her, the apothecary was slightly mollified by this train of thought. Once again her ideology was proven correct: if you wanted justice delivered, you had to do it yourself.

Others in the room did not take the Avatar's fate so easily. A wave of collective despair swelled in the crowd and washed over her, thick and heavy as summer heat. Mahone glanced about the room, eyes landing on Yulan. The teen had curled up even more tightly in her chair, arms wrapped around her knees. Yulan made a low noise in the back of her throat, gaze unfocused. Mahone hoped she would wait until she found somewhere private to start crying.

A little mean? Yes, but also no. The Underground was not a place for children, had never been. The weak-willed could either grow up or go home.

"I cannot say for sure, but based on the nature of martial law, I would guess a single person acts as overseer of the city. Tensions remain high and order is one of the Fire Nation's prime concerns. Rulings from a council would take too much time; their soldiers need immediate, decisive orders from their superiors. But as I said, that is only a guess. As for who that person may be, I've afraid I have no idea."

Mahone closed her opinion with a slight shrug as she tried to adjust the uniform's ridiculous pauldrons into a more comfortable position. Whoever that authority was, they probably claimed the Royal Palace as their home now. Ironic that the Fire Nation tyrant might be running Ba Sing Se far more effectively than the Earth King ever did.

This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 10, 2010 22:54:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2010 22:54:02 GMT -6

The Curious Incident of the Rich Man in the Night Time

Slender and acrobatic, it was clear to most watching idly from the sidelines that young Rei Ben, the ward of Wang, was … interested in the short musician. Of course, that would make sense in light of the rumours that circulated through Ba Sing Se of Wang and his ward and their potentially illegal relationship. Nothing could be proven, of course, but everyone had their suspicions. The words “clandestine” and “affair” often followed the names in sentences.

“I noticed you performing alone. What happened the woman and, what was his name? Takeshiro?” The young man raised a dark brow. “Are you going to be meeting back up with them now, or are you free for a moment?” He leaned on the wall with one arm, giving Suigetsu a charming smile. “The grounds are lovely, you know.”

While Suigetsu was busy being flirted with by an attractive young man in bright clothing, Han was skulking the grounds looking for clues. The little things are infinitely the most important, she reminded herself, noticing long hallways that were beautifully decorated. It seemed to be a path that was meant to lead to something very striking.

Given what she knew of Wang, which was that he was very rich, very public, given to taking young male wards, and not seen after dark… she could only conclude that he knew the importance of a public face. A man like that would, ostensibly, not shy away from showing such a thing as the mask in public. In fact, its presence in public might be just the thing he needed to keep it hidden. Pursing her lips, Han tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. A man in a guard’s uniform was headed down the decorated hallway. Suspiciously, he looked to her to walk with the same stride as she had observed in someone else, earlier. Raising an eyebrow, Han took stock of the rest of his frame. His skeleton matched, to her eyes, that of the man who had introduced himself as Burushi Wang.

Smiling, she stole out of the corner in which she had gone over her evidence and followed the man down the hall. He was stopped in front of a case containing the mask, hand on a locking mechanism. Han cleared her throat, and he jerked in surprised as he turned.
“Mr. Wang. I’ll be needing your mask, if you don’t mind.”
“Who are you? How did you get in here?” the man avoided answering yes or no to his own name, but Han knew it was him.
"I followed you."
"But I didn’t see anyone,” he protested, eyes taking in the form of Han Ye Seul. “I saw nothing!”
She smiled, sweetly. "Yes,” said Han, “that is precisely what you may expect to see when I follow you."
Anonymous
May 11, 2010 16:39:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 11, 2010 16:39:36 GMT -6

*Lower Ring - Underground HQ*

Joychi let out a long sigh. The conversation was now drifting into political matters. A subject which he didn't enjoy, nor knew a lot about. As a Lieutenant, he never really needed to know about the higher ranks past the Colonels - with the exception of the Generals, who were more or less famous. Anything else was either unnecessary or unwanted information. Especially for an outsider like him.

Nevertheless, everybody seemed rather curious as to how the city was being run at the moment. An educated guess would be that the city was ruled by a council made up of Fire Nation officials, since they now had time to settle in the grand capital. But then a woman in the crowd pointed out how soldiers needed immediate orders, which was very different from the long administrative process of councils.

The only thing Joychi could say for sure about it was that this person, or that council, had settled in the Royal Palace. It sounded like the most reasonable conclusion, since the palace, even without the Earthbenders guarding it, was a very effective stronghold inside the city - besides, the Dai-Li were probably there. Now, perhaps safety wasn't the first thing they had in mind when instated here, but at the very least it would be where they'd find shelter the most easily.

The sudden implication that Long Feng was planning on attacking the palace made the Lieutenant chuckle. He'd only seen it from afar, and even then he was in the sky with Gokko, but it seemed pretty much impenetrable. Just like the city itself. Then again the latter had been breached twice, and even taken once. Luckily, considering that idea only worked when implying that whoever ruled the city dwelled there. For sure, at one point they would have to take out the head, and Joychi was looking forward to it. But assaulting the Royal Palace...

The dark skinned man shook his head to try and forget about this. Since he had officially retracted himself from the conversation, which he wasn't part of to begin with, there was no need for him to concern himself with such things, especially politics. Instead, he'd just make sure things were ready for when everybody would want to get some rest - although he doubted much that any of these people would manage to find sleep, given what they'd just gone through. So he stood up and began speaking to some of the guys who'd fought along with him, telling them to organize shifts among the prisoners once the former secretariat was done, about who would stand guard, and who would get to lie down.
ailin
May 18, 2010 19:10:50 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 18, 2010 19:10:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: Here's the timeskip to the next day, gang. :) Sorry it isn't longer, I wasn't full of inspiration this time.)

It was apparent that exhaustion had overtaken everyone and it had been time to call it a night. They had done the impossible, escaping the prison, and had a basic outline of their next step. The rest could wait until everyone had a few hours of good rest.

Try as she might, Suki couldn't quite manage good rest that night. Despite having a bed to sleep in, which was always a step up from bedrolls in the middle of nowhere, there was a restlessness that kept the young warrior from dipping into restful unconsciousness. The headquarters still felt unfamiliar, no matter how long she had spent hiding out there before the Underground had become official. She thought that perhaps it was being cramped in the place, surrounded by new allies and...Suki rolled onto her side, staring at the darkness of the wall next to her small bed. Talk of what had happened to Aang, to all of them, brought it all up again. She missed them, especially Sokka. She felt her heart ache for him.

It was a sense of isolation that bothered her. She was surrounded by these people, people she had rescued, recruited, who had joined her and her cause and now...their cause was running away with them. It was becoming bigger and more involved, and with someone as technical as Long Feng it was becoming more political more...revolutionary. All Suki had wanted was to restore the Earth Kingdom as it had been, and now she didn't know what that was. It had been a lie, hadn't it. A lie that everyone had found more comforting than the truth of a monarch who would turn a blind eye to his subjects in need, who would put his creature comforts ahead of everything else. Now saving the Earth Kingdom meant remaking it and...was she up to that?

Sleep eventually came, fitful and dreamless, but hours did pass without Suki feeling as they had. Light soon filtered in through the drawn curtains. It was dim, and the dust particles danced in the thin beams of light. Suki rubbed the sleep from her eyes and sat up, running a hand through her auburn hair.

After a moment she pushed the sheet aside and got out of bed, stretching and feeling some satisfaction in the popping noise her bones made in her shoulders. It was going to be a long day, no two ways about that.

Might as well find something good to eat. Who knows when I'll be able to later.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 18, 2010 21:29:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 18, 2010 21:29:47 GMT -6

((Thanks Ai Lin. And now for The Good Earth to provide us with an easy meal plan. I hope you guys don’t mind it. Oh and Ai Lin, please don’t mind my following actions, but it would be best to not wait for every little thing, so feel free to carry my character as I carry yours.))

Lower Ring

Morning came, soon enough. Unfortunately, this man had spent a great part of the night worrying about being captured or worse. As he rubbed the crusty bits out from his eyes, he tried his best to focus on the imagery around him. But alas, his eyes ached and only found comfort in being closed. His pale, gaunt hands then moved to his shins and the former secretariat then began to rub his sore legs. Everything was aching. Not as bad as the night before, but still everything ached. While his right hand reached back to rub his neck, he felt his beard with his left hand. There wasn’t any stubble; it was almost thick enough to start a small beard. Well, maybe, that was a hyperbole, but it was long, and most unruly. To add more insult, his queue was no longer as lustrous as it once was. The hair that had once been shaved was growing back, and from its long growth his hairline was finally seen after an entire lifetime. This was unacceptable, but in the long run it better served his purpose. He was different this way, and if it was required; hair could be shaved off.

Pushing past the pain, Long Feng then began to roll up his sleeping mat. Never had he been forced to undergo such a horrible night’s sleep. Even as a child, he had a bed, sure he had to share it, but it was a comfy bed no less. Here, this, the now; it was dreadful, he should have just slept on the floor! It would’ve been the same.

Slyly, his emerald eyes scanned the room’s inhabitants. Most were talking amongst themselves, and from the belly rubbing it wasn’t too difficult to note their hunger. A few of them already knew where to get something to eat, as did he. It was a tradition for the rich to win themselves fortune by providing food to the needy. And, in a city as grand as this; it was easier to maintain order when the people’s bellies were full. As such, if the Fire Nation had half a brain, they would continue to the charity that was a tradition in large cities. For less than a bronze piece, a man could fill himself with rice gruel until he burst. Even though the mere thought of eating as they did really hurt his ego; he had to survive, he needed energy, and to feed a group this size by any other means would be too costly. Sure, they wouldn’t like it, but it really was the only option to ensure that everyone would be taken care of.

A few people were already well aware of that. Silently, Long Feng listened to a small group discuss that option. Knowing well what needed to be done, he searched out their young leader. He spotted her amongst the throngs of people and then headed her way. His poise was proper, and his posture was perfect, were it not for his dirty and messy clothing one could easily imagine him back in the halls of the palace or in her surrounding gardens.

“Suki, as you can plainly see our group is in need of sustenance. Now, I know that feeding a group this large would require substantial resources, but as you’ve probably heard, there is a gruel kitchen nearby that could easily provide us all with food. It won’t be the most nutritious meal nor will it be the most delicious, but we are all guaranteed to eat until we burst. I, personally, don’t know where it is, but a few people here do,” spoke Long Feng as he pointed out groups that were leaving the decaying building.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to speak to you about certain actions that are paramount to our continued success and survival. So please follow me,” that last bit was spoken with a very courteous tone, and a hand gesture that was probably only found in the Upper Ring of the City. He had to play it up. He needed her, maybe a little less than she needed him, but he needed her. There weren’t any other options available; there was only this or death, and since he wouldn’t give up without a fight; this was all he had. That being said, his speech and motions were sincere. They were used so much in the Upper Ring that they were second nature; in fact, he had to force himself to slouch so as to not be spotted among their crowd.

Always being second chair, Long Feng knew how to walk beside a person, and how to whisper so as to ensure that only they would hear. It was, after all, all he did with the Earth King. Strange how he was using those crafts all over again.

“From your time here, I know you know that this city is massive,” whispered Long Feng as he passed the through the door and into the bright, noisy clutter of the Lower Ring. “What we are attempting to do has never succeeded in this city, but I can assure you we will not repeat the mistakes of those before us,” added the secretariat as they passed, with the rest of the Underground, into the busy streets of the city. All around, the sights and sounds were foreign to this man, and yet it didn’t bother him. This was only temporary, and while it was a present that would last some time, he would get through it. After all, he had conquered this city once. “For starters, we know what needs to be done. The Dai Li, the people; they are goals not real objectives we can accomplish yet. I can help you get there, but you just need to trust me,” his inflection was perfect, just as it was many many years ago. The former head of the Dai Li continued to speak as the Underground made its way into the more poverty stricken part of their district. From the looks of the people, they were getting close. “What we also need is a map to the city, and I can get the best map of this city in the world. All I need is the opportunity to go it alone for a few days, and to see how well guarded my private study is. I will need help, and that is where I hope you can assist me. What I intend to do is to go back to the Upper Ring, alone, and get to the know the flow of things. I’ll return back, and hopefully, you will accompany me there and we will procure the Underground resources like it has never seen.” The gaunt man reeled his head around as the group was now in line to pay for their meals. He couldn’t spend too much time with her now, he looked like a mad man, and she was young, and youth gifted her with looks; it would be too suspicious. “I’ll see back at the ramshackle,” joked Long Feng as he slowly stepped backwards.

It was like a sea, and the people bumped into him and he tossed and turned about until he was quite a distance away from the young leader. Luckily, to his side was a member of the Underground, he was just as gritty as he was, and thankfully, the man handed him the money to pay and a beggar’s bowl; lucky him.

The meal was as expected, lousy, distasteful, but most importantly of all it was something that shut his hunger pangs up. His stomach was full, and near bursting. Somehow, he had managed to fit seven helpings of that sh*t into his body. That being said, it wasn’t that hard, hunger helped to season the meal, and his body desperately craved the calories. It was literally the most nutritious meal he had eaten in a long time. In addition, his mind had crafted the most ingenious plan to make it to the Upper Ring. All he needed to do now was to wait for Suki’s reply, and if he had her blessing for nightfall.

With a heavy moan, the skeletor managed to heave himself to his feet, and out the area set aside for the paupers. This was likely going to be his only meal of the day, hopefully it would last. He wished he could take some out, but as evidence of others showed, it was not permitted. With good reason, the nobles were losing money with this bit, the poor could easily take advantage of their generosity and use these “free” meals to feed their livestock or worse to sell it to others. The only thing they were allowed to take out was what was in their stomach, or stuck to their bowl. In his hand was very little, and in his belly was quite a lot.

With trouble, he trotted, like a penguin, back to the ramshackle and to what would hopefully be good news. He walked in, sat himself by an open window, and watched the sunlight on the floor before him.

yulan
May 24, 2010 1:39:57 GMT -6

Post by yulan on May 24, 2010 1:39:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lower Ring

Farmgirl and apothecary made their way back to their street in silence, the slow scritch-scritch of sandals and bare feet against the ground the only sounds to penetrate the darkness. Yulan paid marginal attention to her surroundings. The bulk of her thoughts were still stuck hours earlier at the Fire Nation prison, surrounded by smoke and screams. Stupid of her, she knew. They were two people wandering about an enemy-occupied city at an hour when only people who were up to no good were still awake. If they were sighted by the hothead patrol, or worse, the Dai Li, they'd wind up right back where Yulan had sacrificed most of her sanity to escape from. As much as she cursed the truth of it, she could do nothing for those prisoners now. She had to keep her thoughts in the present, focused on the objectives that would need accomplishing come tomorrow.

Her heart knew that. Her mind and body didn't want to listen. They had ideas of their own that spoke louder. Tired. Sleep. Forget.

Spirits pitied them enough not to send trouble their way, so at the corner of the street, Yulan bid Mahone a wordless farewell before trudging several houses down to Bawen and Chufang's pottery shop. The windows were dark and silent. For the first time in what felt like forever, she dared to hope. Hope that she could slip into bed undetected and finally embrace the slumber she so desperately craved. Questions could wait until morning. She could handle any disbelief, any anger, any disapproval from her guardians as long as it all waited until morning.

Yulan entered the house and almost walked into Chufang. Immediately she found herself caught in a fierce hug by the woman, too tight for her to wriggle out of and run away.

"Yulan! You're safe! Oh, thank the spirits! I just about jumped out of my skin when Liu told me she saw you being arrested by the- Are you wearing prison clothes?"

Chufang pushed her back, hands firm on Yulan's shoulders. Even in the darkness she could see that Chufang's eyes were puffy, red-rimmed, clouded by fear and bewilderment.

That did it; Yulan slumped in the woman's grasp, despair almost forcing tears to the surface again. Deep down, Yulan had always known eventually she would have to tell her caretakers the truth about what she'd been up to, how she'd defied their wishes and signed up with a rebel group to take out the national enemy, among other traitorous things. She'd known that. She just wanted to delay the confrontation for a few precious hours. But now it seems she wasn't even allowed that little reprieve. How much more of this emotional storm would Yulan have to sit through until she was allowed to finally rest?

"Where's Bawen?" she asked, the words watery and weak.

"He... I told him to go on to bed. Why? What happened to you- where have you been?"

Yulan asked her to wake Bawen and bring him downstairs. Chufang did, and once they were both seated and anxiously listening, she confessed all of it. All her lies, her deceptions, her overall shocking disrespect for the great kindness that this couple had shown toward a dusty teenager who'd arrived in the Lower Ring lost and without a place to stay. Yulan purged herself of everything.

Lower Ring

Mahone couldn't sleep. Not for lack of trying. The implications of their post-mission talk at the hideout filled her head with so many thoughts flying in every direction she simply couldn't relax. Numbers and diagrams scribbled without end against the backdrop of her mind, scenarios playing out against the insides of her closed eyelids. A Ba Sing Se University classroom couldn't have been more alive with hypercritical analysis.

After lying in bed a while, the apothecary extracted herself from the covers and did what she always did when sleep was not an option. She worked.

The Underground would be very busy in the days to come, and Mahone wanted to be there for as much of the scheming and revenge-taking as possible. If Long Feng or the Little Commander asked for any of her concoctions, they would have them, and they would have them immediately, because Mahone was not going to waste time sitting in her lab brewing them up while the rest of the Underground was off ruining the Fire Nation's day without her. No, she was going to anticipate what the leaders might want and have her creations ready to go at the first request. Poisons to take out a patrol relaxing at their favorite pub? Fine. Inhibition-blockers for interrogating a captured soldier? Done. Her talents were at the Underground's service, any way they needed.

Among the busy thoughts that denied her sleep were memories of her time in Omashu. Mahone's exodus had been swift; many people she hadn't been able to say a proper goodbye to. When the city fell, she convinced herself she had nothing to do with those people anymore, their fates were in the spirits' hands now. It was so easy to hate a foreign nation for the loss of her other home, for any periphery misfortunes. But to be told that one's own king was guilty of an almost-as-resonating crime... That was more difficult to brush off.

Now questions Mahone wasn't certain she wanted answered bounced endlessly around in her skull. If the Earth King had mobilized his forces to take back the city, would her friends have joined the resistance? If the Earth King had been more vigilant, would Omashu have been taken in the first place? If the Earth King had only done his damn job, would neither of their Kingdom's greatest cities be under Fire Nation rule, and would Mahone be content in the subconscious knowledge that the ones she'd left behind were still safe?

The Earth Kingdom government was one big lie. The Fire Nation's declarations of prosperity for all the world, another big lie. Lies of such grand scale force-fed to the people, trampling on their humble beliefs and fragile hopes. There was only one answer to these kinds of self-serving regimes. They had to be toppled.

Just like the one that had killed her mentor.

She worked all through the night and into morning. No one could say Mahone's work ethic lacked on the motivation front.

———

After breakfast, the apothecary made her way to the Underground's hideout, meeting Yulan just in front of the door. The girl looked slightly ill; Mahone would wager Yulan had enjoyed as much sleep as she did. The teen held the door open for her and she entered.

Long Feng was already present, among others. Back in her usual attire, wooden bead bracelets generating a perpetual soft clacking rhythm around her wrists - the prison uniform had been happily abandoned in a dumpster several streets away - Mahone walked up to bid him a "good morning." The apothecary then took up her post by the wall with arms crossed, expression closed in contemplative silence.

Yulan helped herself to a chair, eyes on the floor, fiddling distractedly with a few strands of hair.[/color]
This user is a guest
Last edit by yulan: May 24, 2010 1:40:49 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 28, 2010 12:05:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 28, 2010 12:05:22 GMT -6

((All we need now is background music.))

Lower Ring – Underground HQ

Although he may have seemed asleep, Long Feng was deep in thought. In his mind, his thoughts were moving faster than flung stone, and they were all tied to his current predicament. Deep down, part of him was afraid of the truth; there really wasn’t any way of returning to his old power. The old regime was gone, and despite how much the new one mimicked her, she would never return. There was a bit of fear in his heart when it came to that sad fact. The odds were that he would die helping this group. Too much of what they had to do was soaked in danger. For starters, the Dai Li; he struggled enough with just one agent, but he had plans to sink them all, and at once. If they were careful, they would choke with that bit. Then to top it all off, they would eventually have to retake the city; the spirits only knew how demanding that bit of work was, and the effort it required. Thankfully, if there was one thing this city had, it was broken spirits looking for hope, and if they played their cards right, that would be their image. It would be hope; hope enough to entice the people.

As more people began to enter, he was quickly brought out of his stupor by a hello from one of the trio that had rescued him, it was Mahone, if he remembered correctly, and that he always did. Although she wasn’t who he wanted to see, she would be of assistance in the time to come. Truth be told he was sort of looking for that lieutenant, Joychi. With a sigh, he then took to find his dark skin among the myriad of faces in this dank building. The only real skin color that got near his was that of the waterbender’s. If he recalled correctly, the one girl with the puppy was Shuai or was that the name of the other one entertaining it by bending water around the small creature. Great, now his memory was failing him, what joy.

Oh well, he might as well get things going. With trouble, he got to his feet and approached the vindictive apothecary.

“Good morning.” He began with a colorful, inviting smile which was a wonderful contrast to his grimy appearance. When he was beside her, he began his courteous tone and proper, somewhat pomp, inflection, “As I recall from the previous night’s introductions, you are an apothecary. Am I not correct?”

“Now, I hoping you were willing to procure me with a particular concoction known to the surgeons as chloroform? An anesthetic, if I do so recall correctly. Also, on a less urgent note, I was wondering if you knew the method of crafting blasting jelly? Before you answer, be mindful that we will require a lot of it. So please think about time constraints before you respond.”

Anonymous
Jun 2, 2010 12:46:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2010 12:46:29 GMT -6

The night had looked so long, and the sleep so short. Joychi was one of those who did not sleep at all this night, although some of the prisoners just couldn't sleep, due to all the things they learned that kind of messed their heads. The former lieutenant had not slept because he forbid himself to. Someone had to look after these poor souls, and he put himself forward for the job.

When mroning came, he was sitting in a meditation position, trying to rest his body despite the need of sleep. He wouldn't shut his senses down, but at least this way he could get some tiredness away. As for the hunger... well, that was another matter. But since he'd made taking care of this people his responsibility, he wouldn't want to eat before they did.

Since he was located near the basement of the building, he didn't notice when people left the place to go get some food. In his mind, anyone who got out of there was going to bring something back for the rest... how naive he was. As he remained there mediatating, Long Feng and some others had gone to fill their stomachs as much as they could. And he was here alone, trying to calm down.

Joychi needed to keep a clear head. While he knew he wouldn't be playing a major role in all this, he wanted to help as much as possible, and he had the potential, being one of the few here who had experience and knowledge. He was too young to be called a veteran, even though he'd become a lieutenant at such an age, but he sure knew a lot about war and battle.

At one point, meditating became kind of a bother, and he was starting to fall asleep. There was nothing much he could do now to improve his state, except maybe eating. But there was nothing to eat here... As he opened his eyes again and looked at the rest of the room, he noticed that several other people were trying to meditate. There were many things wrong with their behaviors and stances while doing so, but it seemed they too were eager to find peace.

It was almost enough to make Joychi proud of them. They may not be good at much, but at least they were trying, right ?... The young man let out a yawn and went to the main room, the one where most of the people were. He wanted to do his daily prayer to the Great Spirits. But in order to do this he needed to create a small altar or have anything with the Earth symbol on it. Most of the stuff in here had the Earth Kingdom insignia on them, which made them pretty much useless to Joychi. He needed to get his polearm back.

While there, he noticed that Long Feng was discussing with one of the women who'd taken part in their liberation. The thought of eavesdropping on the conversation crossed his mind for a second, but then he mentally punched himself for thinking this way. If there was anything he needed to know they'd probably tell him... Plus he needed to find the heavy weapon right now. A two bladed Guan Dao couldn't disappear very easily, could it ?
yulan
Jun 14, 2010 1:26:22 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Jun 14, 2010 1:26:22 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OOC: Sorry for the wait, guys! My mind's still stuck in exams mode.)

Movement in her periphery vision brought Mahone's eyes onto the former Grand Secretariat as he neared. His words carried firm and clear, betraying none of the fatigue she sensed in him still. Respect was warranted for that.

And he needed her services already. Excellent. Instinctively straightening, Mahone uncrossed her arms and gave a slow nod. "An anesthetic, yes. Also toxic... Fatal in fact, if applied in a strong enough dose." A hint of a curious smile curved onto her lips. "I keep a stock in my shop. How much do you need? I'll be happy to deliver it to you today."

The apothecary was somewhat more reluctant to speak on the matter of blasting jelly. She did know the recipe, had prepared it a few times before in much smaller quantities than Long Feng hinted at. But would your average apothecary know that, have any reason to know how to make something that was largely used to blow things up? While she was willing to offer her services to the Undergound any way they needed, it wouldn't do to demonstrate knowledge in too deviant an area, or they might get suspicious. Mahone would help them gladly, but she didn't need to display the entirely of her past nor all her secrets to get the Underground's job done.

Especially not to a man she didn't fully trust. Wasn't certain if she could trust.

"If the Underground has need of it, they will have it," she boldly declared, tone briefly mimicking his pomp. "I'll check in with my suppliers... all of them. We can, of course, adjust for the grade of explosiveness you want. That will change how much of the ingredients I'll need to procure. Will the jelly be for distraction purposes... or outright destruction?"[/color]

Sturdy, strong footsteps drew quiet groans from the floor and Yulan glanced over her shoulder to see the dark-skinned soldier from yesterday stroll into the room. Despite the Underground's collective exhaustion, he at least looked ready as ever to fight for king and country - well, maybe not so much the former now, but it was still more than could be said for Yulan.

A faint memory sparked in the back of her mind, familiarity rising at last from the haze of smoke and screaming. The teenager spoke up, her voice hoarse at first but gaining strength with every syllable. "Hi... You were the one on the platform yesterday, right?" The one they were going to execute. "General... can I ask you something?" Her shoulders drooped, attention swinging languidly from one end of the dark room to the other. She hugged a knee to her chest, curling herself protectively against it. "How... do you deal with this?"

Yulan didn't think she needed to elaborate on what 'this' was: the sorry state of their ragtag group of beaten and bewildered allies, the prospect of going up against not one but two of the greatest regimes on the face of the planet, of circumstances all around being bleaker than bleak. Soldier or not, where did anyone find the strength to keep his or her head up high?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 14, 2010 10:30:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 14, 2010 10:30:29 GMT -6

((I keep forgetting that I got out before most people, sorry about that, Yulan :P))

Lower Ring – Underground HQ

Good. The last thing he needed was to lower himself to thievery in order to enact his escapade. That being said, he still hadn’t received the okay from their group’s leader. Either way, his mission was vital, and she would be unwise to say no; sure there were many other ways of procuring a map, but none would be as accurate as his own, and none would map out the Dai Li’s underwater base or the place wherein their namesake came from, whether or not that coincidence was intended.

“Yes,” agreed Long Feng with a chuckle at Mahone’s correct assumption, but she needn’t worry. “It can, and since you’ve correctly guessed my motives; I’ll need enough for a man of my height, but about one and a half my weight, and some sort of cloth to soak in the chemical in order to administrate it. I’ll need it by tonight, hopefully.” Beside the jovial chuckle, the rest of his order was direct and once more proper in tone. Thankfully, he would have that one fulfilled.

Hopefully, the same could be said for the next order.

Now Mahone raised the question that he was glad to hear. Obviously, she knew how to craft the jelly, but more importantly she seemed to know that there existed variety of the jelly crafted, and while this information was utterly useless for the task at hand, when a distraction was needed, later on that knowledge would prove vital for success.

“Outright disaster. But more importantly, enough to create an extremely, structurally dangerous, fissure in something with, oh say on the league of our great walls,” stated Long Feng with a gently roll of his eyes. The task at hand was certainly incredibly close to near impossible, but with enough force, anything could be done. Hopefully, this wouldn’t dissuade the apothecary, if it did, however, there was always the black market, and surely the Fire Nation was not exempt from having crooked men. In fact, that would be the only legitimate way of supplying The Underground with weapons. If they stole them, then there would be suspicion because who beside an anarchist cell needed weapons when war was over. To be honest, such dealings were the only way to assure them buyer’s discretion. Sure, the weapons would be overpriced, but they would have them, and at military level.

“Now, don’t worry, we won’t be attacking the walls. No, no, but…” he looked around, nobody was paying them heed; they were still discussing daily affairs to one another, strange considering how most of them were once in a prison. What on earth could they possibly discuss?

“The explosives are for the Dai Li’s hidden base, it’s underwater, in fact. All we need to do is blast through the roof, with enough force, so that the water from Lake Laogai comes flooding in and thus drown any agents left inside. I know we could use some sort of dissolving agent in lieu of explosives, but we need immediate results, and not the kind that requires waiting around for something to work.”

“So, do you believe you could acquire us some or must we find some shady individual from which to do business?”

While he awaited her response, his emerald eyes caught the man that he was going to discuss affairs with next, Joychi. Unfortunately, at the moment he was then involved in what appeared to be a discussion with some young woman. Hopefully, she wouldn’t be hurt by their parting.

Anonymous
Jun 17, 2010 19:23:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 17, 2010 19:23:21 GMT -6

BA SING SE, Middle Ring, one month since the Wang heist

A REPUTATION WITHOUT REPUDIATION

Suigetsu didn't understand why any time he shared a bed with one of his fellow earth bending students they always insisted sharing the same bed. Needing a place to sleep kept him from complaining. He wished he were like Han and able to find places to sleep simply by being attractive.
The feminine arm of his fellow student and sleep aficionado flopped on top of him, making him slightly uncomfortable.
When he tried to move it the young woman beside him let out a disgusted noise and mumbled something about rumors and being a tease.
He didn't understand why but it wasn't the first time he'd spent the night at someone's house and been called a tease the next morning.

Sleeping next to someone reminded the eighteen-year-old water bender too much of having to do so chained to a large man named Auka during his time in prison.
"You see...there was this thing that happened in prison and..."
Like a lot of people the pretty young woman let out an "Ooooohhhh...." of sudden realization.

The look of pity present on her face turned to horror when she heard someone enter. It made sense to Suigetsu that someone might get the wrong idea even though he could have absolutely no sexual thought about any woman not in her late twenties or older. Women like the one who had entered and looked rather nice slumped over a sink doing dishes.

As he had just spent the night in her house Suigetsu decided that helping with the dishes would be polite and flirting with the aunt or mother of his fellow student would be fun.
It didn't occur to him until later that a strange young man clad only in his underwear and a long, blue winter coat caressing the hand of the dwelling's owner as she did dishes might startle that person. It not only startled her, but also her daughter. They exchanged shocked and horrified looks for a moment until one of them, Suigetsu didn't see which, had broken a bowl over his head.
He decided that in retrospect sneaking up and touching women while half naked was not the best of moves.

It only took a moment to gather his clothes and run out the door. He had gotten some practice as of late. Even people kind enough to give a homeless immigrant a place to sleep drew the line at having that same person flirt with their mother, aunt. Really any sexy older woman in his immediate area would suffice.
He had to meet one of those sexy older women anyway. Meeting Han was always a mood elevator, though it tended to also be a mood killer at times.

On his way to the outdoor tea house he was to meet his friend he saw what he considered the cutest couple ever...at least until he and Han got together. He loved the idea of a lowly waiter getting together with a rich kid from the Upper Ring. Chow and Rei Ben. The fact that getting them together was an accident and that Suigetsu was ignorant of their sexuality was a constant source of humor.

Chow made a joke about Suigetsu getting kicked out of yet another bed which caused Suigetsu to ask if Chow's mother has space in hers. The waiter's attractive mother coupled with Suigetsu's attraction to older women was a source of humor as well.
Suigetsu comically shooed the two men away when he reached his destination.
"If Han sees us together she might get the wrong idea."
The two friends were nice enough to hold their laughter until out of the water bender's earshot.

He cooled his hot tea with a breath and waited for his sifu and subject of infatuation underneath a bright pink umbrella.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 24, 2010 13:42:18 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 21, 2010 12:28:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 21, 2010 12:28:27 GMT -6

Looks like the search for his missing weapon would have to wait, because soon after he arrived in the room, one of those girls who'd been part of the breakout came to speak to him. It seemed she was looking for advice, or wisdom. Both of which Joychi didn't feel capable of giving at the moment. But he couldn't just ignore her now that she'd asked him.

"First, I'm a Lieutenant... or at least I used to be." He pointed out, feeling like being called General made him look older than he was "Second... there's no answer to that question." He simply answered. It was the truth, there was no real way to handle such a question, at least not at the moment. Maybe once it was all over, he could tell how he managed to put up with the situation.

There really was only one thing to tell her right now. "I almost died out there. If you guys hadn't been there, it would have been the end for me." He began saying, staring at the ground while remembering the way he was kicked to the ground about to be executed, before the warden and the platform exploded behind him. "I just have to deal with this, that's it." He said, looking back at her "If I don't, then I might as well have let myself be killed. Since I survived, I need to keep focus, and help others do the same."

Hopefully this bit of answer would suffice as wisdom for the girl, so he went back to looking around at the room, to see where his polearm was. Then he looked back at her, having another piece of advice for her. "If you are religious as I am, then you should cling to that. It might end up being all you have when this is over..." There was a bit of a gloomy tone in his last words, which showed that he was dreading the outcome of all this too.

Being such a believer, Joychi decided finding his polearm could come later, and that he was going to start praying without it. The weapon wouldn't be of much use until they actually went to battle anyway. He drew an Earth symbol in the wall next to him using Earthbending, and kneeled in front of it with his hands joined. This action might have looked odd to the other people, but praying was his daily thing, and he didn't intend to stop just because of them. Besides, it might give them the faith some of them needed.
Anonymous
Jun 24, 2010 11:00:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 24, 2010 11:00:22 GMT -6

A Proposal
- Lower-to-Middle Ring -

Teaching Suigetsu had proved challenging. Han had started him on basics, things like stretching and learning to understand the movement of the body. She felt he lacked a strong foundation in basics as well as the proper temperament for learning the art of the staff, and therefore the basics were where she forced him to begin. He had not seemed to appreciate her methods, but she had not agreed to teach him things he liked. Rather she had agreed to teach him to the best of her ability.

Han lived in a charming little house in the Middle Ring. She spent some of her days teaching at the university, as she had done previously without informing the two men (boys?) where she spent her time. Han was not without money to support herself, nor was she without intellectual pursuits.

She had noticed, of course, that her student seemed without focus. He had not even managed to find a job or a place to rent. Han had been giving him time to adjust, but it seemed that she needed to take matters into her own hands. To that effect, she had spent the early part of the morning moving things around in her study, creating a partition with her bookshelves. She meant for Suigetsu to stay with her for a time, at least until he could be properly motivated.

Striding up to the teahouse, she was as usual clad in emerald green. Han had her hair down that day, an unusual sight. She beckoned her student to walk with her after buying a cup of Silver Needle tea. “Suigetsu,” she said, noticing his rushed appearance, “it has come to my attention that you still lack proper lodging and suitable employment. Therefore I am forced to make certain accommodations for you.” She paused and sipped her tea before turning a corner. “I have spoken with some of the university staff and they have agreed to take you on as a night janitor.” They were headed to her house.

Reaching her doorway, Han slipped off her shoes and stepped inside, motioning her student in. Today he would be working on breathing. “I have prepared for you an area of my study, also,” she said, somewhat delicately considering who it came from, “in which you may stay for now, provided you keep the area tidy and take an equal share of household chores until such time as proper lodging can be found for you. If you excel in your employment, you may pay rent to me.” Having her student available more readily would also allow her to keep a closer eye on him, which would hopefully force him to be more mindful of her teachings.
Anonymous
Jun 24, 2010 14:02:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 24, 2010 14:02:03 GMT -6

HOT FOR SIFU

Naturally, the words "Night Janitor" conjured up a fantasy of Han sitting at a desk with her hair in a bun grading papers and pausing to look at him and make sexual innuendo involving his janitorial duties.

Even in his fantasies that was as far as Suigetsu could get with Han. It felt...disrepectful. He also felt it would put him in the same category as those men Han selected for her one-night stands.
"Big zygomatic and clavicle sporting bastards!" he muttered to himself as he thought of those men he loathed down to their smallest atom.

There was an explosion of different thoughts in the young bender's head when Han told him of where he would be living. They started with 'huh?' and ended with 'She doesn't see me as a man at all.' The only pleasant thought of the idea of sharing a living space was the chance at seeing Han in various stages of undress and even that had a tragic tint to it.

"I..." he began to decline but then thought better of it. He heaved a heavy sigh as if taking on a great burden...or letting one go.
"Thank you. I-I'll try to make you proud of me."

He was now living and learning with a strong and beautiful woman whom he respected and felt anattraction. It was learning water bending from his first sifu again only in a warmer climate. The hormone level was relatively the same even though he was in the throes of puberty at the time.

The only belongings Suigetsu didn't carry in his coat pockets was the wooden staff he used for practice and his collection of crystal glasses, some thoughtfully given to him by Rei Ben.
It felt a little strange leaving his posessions to sit in one place with the idea of being able to retrieve them later.

There were only a few instances in his life when Suigetsu could lay down his posessions and feel like he belonged. He wasn't feeling that at the moment, but he felt he was with the right person to feel that way eventually.
"What do we do first, Sifu?"
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 24, 2010 14:02:25 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 7, 2010 23:02:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2010 23:02:57 GMT -6

The Adventure of the Second Suitor

- Middle Ring -[/center]
”What do we do first, sifu?”

Han raised an eyebrow. “I beg your pardon?” she said, voice strict. “I believe you are aware of your daily routines when training with me. First you will meditate, then we will begin more balance work.” She herself had paperwork to look over while her student meditated. Working at the university was keeping her busy, though not fully satisfied. From time to time, Han felt restless. She attributed this to needing a challenge, something for which Suigetsu came in rather handy.

Han felt that Suigetsu’s meditation and focus left much to be desired. Because of this she was forcing him to do the same things time and time again until he learned to appreciate them – or at least do them well. She remembered her own teachers being very strict about this manner, requiring her to do menial tasks with improper tools or other hard things in order to establish patience and perseverance. The slender woman hoped to impart the same attributes to her student.

That day passed as any other, with Suigetsu’s lessons and then Han accompanying him to the university to meet with the man who had agreed to hire him. That done, she retired to her home for a relaxing bath and pot of tea whilst reading some of her favourite material.
x

Suigetsu’s staying in Han’s home was going as well as could be expected. The woman did her best to maintain her routine and ignore his presence most of the time. She felt it would help his lessons for her to do so.

Han hadn’t counted on a fellow professor’s romantic attentions being as well received by herself as they turned out to be, however. Keichi was a nice young man with a quick wit, one who found himself interested in Han’s beauty as well as her mind. He was a tall and dark man, complete with spectacles and an academic’s pallor. They had been lunching together and, as a matter of course, Han invited him to her home for dinner. She had not taken Suigetsu’s presence into account, of course, when doing so.

Keichi showed up right on time, flowers in hand to give to Han. She accepted them and remarked on the rare genus, to which he nodded and said something that gave away his position as a professor of botany. Han asked him to come in and he did so, removing his shoes. She had cooked some easy, simple thing, something that would allow her to converse more with him about intellectual manners than the food. He looked quite gratified to be there at all, though he knew full well that he could hold his own against the woman's wit. The two were soon engaged in an anthropological discussion of the Three Rings and their inhabitants.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 7, 2010 23:07:48 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 8, 2010 10:44:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 8, 2010 10:44:53 GMT -6

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
-Middle Ring-

To his surprise Suigetsu had found that working as a janitor at a prestigious university wasn't the humiliating and soul-crushing experience he had assumed it would be. Even his rudimentary water bending made mopping barely a chore, there were even earth bending class at every level he could spy on to make up for any lessons he may have missed while working.
He would have liked it if not for all the damn people.

Cleaning up after his teachers was one thing. Cleaning up for other people's teachers as well as the students themselves was something else entirely. If not for Han and his desire not to sully her reputation the frustrated eighteen-year-old would have assaulted someone for leaving towels on the floor or even worse crumpled up paper next to the waste basket rather than in it.
Even for a young man dedicated to disorder that was particularly annoying. It was a combined irritant along with the class with the random numbers and symbols on the chalkboard which Suigetsu blamed on bored students.

In a moment of water bending that actually impressed him Suigetsu wiped away the equation with a few fluid movements of his arms. For some reason he found bending easier now that his concentration had improved. Neutral jing. Waiting and focusing. Waiting was easy, he just let his mind wander. Focusing was the more difficult aspect he struggled with.

Looking at the blank board made Suigetsu want to fill it up again. Vandalism was only annoying when other people did it. Besides, who didn't like poetry?
Numbers quantify
nothing. Behold my chaos
theory. Class dismissed.

It wasn't his best work but it beat the numerical graffiti previously present.
The moment of pride didn't last long when Suigetsu saw even more crumpled parchment lying outside of the trash bin. For the time being Suigetsu hated the man almost as much as the one whom ate lunch with Han earlier. As much as he loathed the man for his intellect, wit and charm Keichi the young professor of botany kept a clean classroom.

On the walk home Suigetsu decided that the bespectacled professor wasn't such a bad man. After all, the man didn't go out of his way to make his job any more difficult. The tired bender could even forgive him for being interested in Han, she was, after all, Han.
Deciding to let go of his petty jealousy made the young man feel as if he reached a higher plane of maturity. It was a nice feeling even despite his desire to beat several people into unidentifiable pulp.
He stepped across the threshold of his new home with Han and spoke in unintentional haiku.
"Slovenly students
Frustrate me to no end, but
Thank you for the job."

Any magnanimous feelings Suigetsu had toward the good looking professor of Botany were null and void once he saw yet another meal was being shared with Han. Two meals in one day was beyond the pale as far as he was concerned.
"Botany Keichi?
I was not expecting you.
What is for dinner?

In a bid to make Keichi as uncomfortable as possible Suigetsu sat down at the table beside the professor and glared at him.
"Don't let me interrupt."