The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Dear Lover [tag: zombi]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 2:00:33 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
All too soon, summer disappeared. Nagisa watched wistfully as the leaves began to change colour and the early mornings get foggy. Regretfully he began to put away his shortpants and bring out his tweed trousers. Fall was usually a good change of pace from the summer — not to mention the change in wardrobe — but this year it only seemed to emphasise that his apartment was cold and empty.

Hyuk-jae had been moved into his apartment for a couple of weeks by now, and Nagisa noticed coming home to an empty house was not as pleasant as it had been in the days before Hyuk-jae. He quickly lapsed back into getting food delivered and stocking up on rice and tinned meats for onigiri, to taking the cab to and from work. He was contemplating starting the cleaning service back up soon, too.

That wasn't to say that he never saw Hyuk-jae! They saw each other at work, of course. Nagisa was quite grateful for that, and it showed in his work. He was very affectionate to his partner, thinking of every excuse to make physical contact. It tickled their clients pink, but Nagisa hardly noticed.

Sometimes Nagisa would go over to Hyuk-jae's after work; Hyuk-jae had even encouraged him to bring a spare set of pyjamas over, and duplicates of his nighttime hygeine products. It went without saying that Nagisa very much enjoyed his time at Hyuk-jae's, in a multitude of ways, but it wasn't the same feeling — to him, at least — as living together.

But Hyuk-jae seemed happy, so he tried show his happiness too.

On the third set of off-days since Hyuk-jae had moved out, the two were sharing a quiet dinner at Nagisa's for a change when the telephone rang. Nagisa excused himself and answered it, speaking softly but animatedly.

After a few minutes he sat back down at the table. "My parents," he said in response to Hyuk-jae's questioning look. "They want me to come over for dinner sometime soon." Nagisa tilted his head to the side a little, pushing his glasses back up the bridge of his nose with the heel of his hand. "Do... do you want to come with me?" he asked shyly. "They said I could bring someone, if I wanted."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2013 3:12:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2013 3:12:01 GMT -6

In contrast, Hyuk-jae seemed to settle in to his home better and better as time passed. The apartment was always warm with homecooked meals and carefully washed laundry, spotless with his efforts. The only thing missing, he noticed, was Nagisa. The Firebender tried to convince his boyfriend? to take space in his closet for things, but he just didn't seem very interested. Disheartened, Hyuk-jae continued to bring both their lunches to work and tried his best to make Nagisa happy.

He just seemed off, somehow. Like he wasn't happy. Hyuk-jae wracked his brain trying to figure out what else he could do, but he kept coming up dry. When they were together Nagisa smiled and he fell asleep easily enough. He enjoyed his meals, or at least he said he did. Hyuk-jae knew he wasn't displeasing physically. What was it? What was wrong? Was it too much time at Hyuk-jae's place?

Attempting to solve the problem, Hyuk-jae tried to spend more time in Nagisa's apartment. He cleaned when he came over, frowning at the state of the place and despairing over the kitchen. Was this really fine?

At dinner in Nagisa's apartment one day, they were eating without much talking. Hyuk-jae felt awkward, but assumed it was because they were tired. Work was exhausting, trying to please all those people! Nagisa got up to answer his phone and Hyuk-jae drew pictures in his vegetable sauce. He glanced at the younger man when he returned, curious.

"My parents... want me to come over for dinner sometime soon... Do... do you want to come with me?"

He paused with his food halfway to his mouth. "I — your parents?" That was... terrifying. At the same time, it was almost exhilerating. Nagisa wanted to introduce him to his family? Everything Hyuk-jae had read suggested that was a big step. Huge. Maybe — maybe he was just imagining that the younger man was unhappy. Maybe they just had to adjust to their new circumstance.

"I'd love to," he said, eyes bright.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 6, 2013 4:12:35 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 15:16:39 GMT -6

He clapped in delight. "You will? Really?" Nagisa beamed at Hyuk-jae as he resumed eating. Even with the issues he sometimes had with his parents, the younger man really and truly loved him. His mother, while sometimes overbearing and protective, was one of the sweetest women he had ever met. Direct, but sweet. His father was a soft-spoken man, very talented with the piano and very kind. Nagisa was very excited to introduce Hyuk-jae to them! Mother had been pestering him for a while about how he needed more friends, maybe a "nice someone" to be with.

Nagisa thought that Hyuk-jae could be that "nice someone". They hadn't exactly talked about it yet, but Nagisa was waiting for just the right moment to confess. He had thought to do so sometime during their first date, but it... hadn't seemed like the right time.

"We can check in with Madame about our schedules," he said, swinging his legs back and forth under the table. "My dad's apparently working some new gig on our days off, so that's no good. other works nine-to-five so any time after that is good for her."

For the rest of dinner he babbled happily about his parents. "They're kinda ... overwhelming sometimes," he said, "Mother especially. But they mean well. I think you'd like them!" At least, Nagisa hoped he did. "I'm sure mother would love to dote on you, and dad would love it if you showed him your guitar playing."

He couldn't wait to take Hyuk-jae home.

The next time they went into the club, Madame Jainukul pulled Nagisa aside. "Nima wants you solo again."

"What?" Nagisa stared at the stern-looking lady. "Why?"
Jainukul gave him a funny look. "Because she wants to, Nagisa. She seems to hate Hyuk-jae, actually."
"Well I don't much like HER."
"Then tell her no."

Nagisa paused. "How much is she paying?" Jainukul rattled off a figure. The young man sighed. "Fine."

On his way out, Jainukul stopped him. "Be careful with her," she warned. "She may be getting too attached."

Hyuk-jae was waiting for him in the employee lounge. "Another private night with Nima!" he complained, hugging Hyuk-jae tight and looking up at him pitifully. "The last time she kept fussing over my hair and how I'm too thin and how I don't eat well and how my mother must not feed me!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2013 17:53:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2013 17:53:03 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae couldn't imagine being so happy about seeing his own parents. Everything the younger man told him about his family sounded… well, too good to be true. Everyone he knew in Dragon Flats, the guys he'd been roommates with there, they'd had stories more like this. No family, or else no supportive family. On their own. But Nagisa — it sounded like he loved his parents, and they loved him.

"I think you'd like them! I'm sure mother would love to dote on you, and dad would love it if you showed him your guitar playing."

Smiling, the Firebender tried to say whatever sounded like he was very excited and not just terrified. Well, he was a little excited. Surely they would be nice, having raised Nagisa. They would have to work out a date to see the younger man's parents, which Hyuk-jae felt would be fine. Jainukul was very flexible with their scheduling, after all. It was easy enough to figure out a date, working with Nagisa's parents and their boss. The woman seemed to value family ties.

Unfortunately, the very next time they went in to work, Hyuk-jae had to sit in the back. Nagisa was booked solo with Nima, and hardly anyone booked Hyuk-jae solo. There was only Yoshida, and he often preferred booking them together as Hyuk-jae was awkward by himself. Nagisa complained about Nima, but the truth was pretty obvious. She hated Hyuk-jae and the fact that Nagisa liked him.

Actually, the Firebender wondered if she wasn't a bit too possessive of his boyfriend. Not that he would be able to say anything about it. Curling up on the bench of the locker room, Hyuk-jae cracked open the novel he'd put in his locker. He'd already read it, of course, as it was the same one Nagisa had given him weeks ago.

But he liked it and Nagisa gave it to him, so it was special. Passing the time quietly, he made it through until the rest of their bookings, which he tried to be graceful about. Before leaving work, both young men made arrangements for a night off to have dinner with Nagisa's parents —

Which came about very, very quickly. Hyuk-jae fussed over an outfit, trying to decide how best to impress them. He ended up choosing the royal blue he'd worn for his first date with Nagisa, because he knew the younger man liked it on him. Showing up at Nagisa's door an hour early, he fidgeted on the sofa.
"What if they don't like me?" Hyuk-jae said, finally, rubbing at the back of his neck. "I mean, I — I don't know why they would like me."
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 6, 2013 17:58:08 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 8, 2013 13:55:15 GMT -6

The hour with Nima was every bit as dreadful as Nagisa thought it would be. She fussed over his hair (maybe you should get a hair cut), fussed over his clothes, (you should wear something that shows off your bone structure more), fussed over his weight (you're not eating enough!). It was all he could do not to snarl at her and say something mean. She's paying a lot became his mantra.

But after the seventeenth iteration of That Eunhyuk, Nagisa made up his mind then and there to no longer accept her requests for private nights. It was starting to become obvious that Nima had a problem with Hyuk-jae, and since Nagisa had no intention of not being with Hyuk-jae both in the play-acting or in real life, he figured it was time to bring it to an end. After Nima left, Nagisa went up to Jainukul and let her know. The madame rolled her eyes as if to say, what took you so long, and made a little note on Nima's file.

"It's like she doesn't realise my time with her is all play-acting," he complained to Hyuk-jae later. They were on their way out of Jainukul's office after work, having just put in time off so they could go to dinner at his parents'. He slipped a hand into Hyuk-jae's as they went to go get their things to go home. "She knows we have other clients, right?"

Nima didn't come again before the day to meet his parents arrived; which was just as well, he didn't want to be put in a sour mood. 

He dressed nicely, but more subdued than usual. Instead of his customary patterned waistcoat and shirt combination, he wore a light blue button up by itself, along with grey tweed trousers. He fussed, as usual, with his hair, noticing more hairs out of place than before with his newly improved vision. Hyuk-jae arrived early and sat on the sofa while Nagisa gave his shoes a brief shine.

"What if they don't like me?" Hyuk-jae said, rubbing at the back of his neck. "I mean, I — I don't know why they would like me."

Nagisa looked up, startled. "Why wouldn't they?" he countered. "You're so sweet, and kind, and polite, and hand--" he blushed. "--handsome. I'm sure they'll love you."

When they left Nagisa insisted on taking a cab. It was too far to walk, his parents' borough was clear on the other side of the city. Nagisa held Hyuk-jae's hand as they rode, hoping to comfort him.

They arrived at Nagisa's parents house a few minutes early, thanks to unusually light traffic. The house itself was modest. a thin, white, two-story house squished between two other similar houses. A cheerily painted mailbox sat out front, the characters for Ryugazaki painted on either side and adorned with three sets of handprints (small, medium, and large). Nagisa walked past it, habitually checking the box for mail and flipping the little flag to the down position.

The front of the house was also modest. A small, narrow little trellis went up along side the door, a creeping jasmine plant entwined in the lattice, but other than that there were no adornings of any kind.

Nagisa knocked smartly on the door, which flew open only seconds later. A gorgeous-looking woman with Nagisa's hair answered.

"Baby!" she said, much to Nagisa's utter mortification. She pulled him in for a hug, squishing his face and jamming his glasses into his eye. "Sweetheart," she called back. "Nagisa's here!"

"M-mother, please!" Nagisa sputtered, pulling away, his face a bright shade of red. A lanky man with Nagisa's smile came around the corner.

"Hello, son," he said softly. "Nice glasses."

Nagisa hastily wiped them on his shirt. "Hello, dad."

He stepped to the side and cleared his throat, gesturing for Hyuk-jae to come in.

"Mother, dad, this is my bo-——————- er, my friend, Hyuk-jae." He reddened. He hadn't told his parents yet. Heck, he didn't even know if Hyuk-jae thought of him like that.

Mr. and Mrs. Ryugazaki exchanged knowing glances over Nagisa's head. "Nice to meet you, Hyuk-jae," said Nagisa's mother sweetly. "I'm Megumi, Nagisa's mother. This is my husband, Sano."

Sano extended his hand. "Nice to meet you," he murmured, smiling a shy smile identical to his son's.

Megumi ushered them all into the sitting room. The decor of the house was a mish-mash of furniture his parents had bought over the years, giving the home a very lived-in, but uncoordinated aesthetic. Nagisa flopped down on his favourite spot on the sofa, motioning for Hyuk-jae to sit next to him, as his mother served tea and vegetables with an optional dip in a small cup to the side. Nagisa had secretly phoned ahead and told his mother about Hyuk-jae's food needs.

"It's been so long, Nagisa," his mother said reproachfully. "You could at least phone."

"Mother, I told you," Nagisa replied, helping himself to a stick of carrot. "I work nights. You're at work when I wake up, and in bed by the time I get home."

"On your days off then," Megumi amended, reaching over and wiping a bit of dip from Nagisa's face with her thumb. Nagisa pulled away, embarrassed.

She turned to Hyuk-jae, her eyes shining. "So, Hyuk-jae, is it? I was really surprised when Nagisa said he was bringing someone over! You must be really special to him, he never gets close to anyone."

"Mother!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 8, 2013 20:33:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 8, 2013 20:33:23 GMT -6

"It's like she doesn't realise my time with her is all play-acting. She knows we have other clients, right?"

Hyuk-jae suspected that Nima's problem wasn't with Nagisa having other clients, it was with Nagisa having a boyfriend. He was two things Nima could never be: close to Nagisa outside of work and also very definitely male. It was a relief to both of them that she didn't come back that week.

Nagisa's assurance that his parents had no reason to dislike him was little comfort. Hyuk-jae didn't think of himself sweet or kind, though he had been raised to be polite and he was not unaware of the fact that he was attractive enough. He let it go, however, deciding that his insecurities didn't always need to be Nagisa's problem.

They held hands in the cab Nagisa insisted on taking. Hyuk-jae would've preferred to walk, but the fluffy-haired man would have none of it. Arriving at the house, the Firebender stared at it for a moment. It looked so nice! Much nicer than the house he'd grown up in. The jasmine smelled sweet and it felt homey to him even from outside. Perhaps it was the simplicity he found so comforting.

The woman answering the door was obviously Nagisa's mother. The resemblance was similar to that of Hyuk-jae and his father — Nagisa was obviously her child, no one would say otherwise seeing them next to each other. She hugged him fiercely, squishing him close. It amused Hyuk-jae even as it embarrassed his boyfriend. Nagisa's father, on appearing, seemed like someone Hyuk-jae would like. Quiet and accommodating. Stepping inside, Hyuk-jae paused for a moment as one of the few-seconds-long absence seizures swept over him.

"… my friend, Hyuk-jae."

Wait, his what? His friend? Hyuk-jae glanced at Nagisa, opening his mouth, but then realized that this meant the shorter man didn't want his parents to know about their relationship. That meant that he either hadn't told them anything about his sexuality, or… or he just wanted to keep Hyuk-jae a secret.

His friend. Right. Hyuk-jae shook Sano's hand politely, murmuring something about how nice it was to meet them and how very well they'd raised their son. Following directions, he went to the sitting room and sat amongst the mismatched furniture. It was a comfortable room, one that seemed like a family had lived there for some time. Hyuk-jae cradled a cup of tea in his hands, looking around as Nagisa's mother admonished him for not calling.

She treated him, he noticed, like a child. Hyuk-jae wondered if Nagisa was fully aware of it — Nima did the same, of course. It likely was spurred on by the man's small stature and childish behavior, but at the moment, he had the grace to look embarrassed. Luckily for Nagisa, Megumi soon turned her attention to their guest.

"So, Hyuk-jae, is it? … You must be really special to him, he never gets close to anyone."

Special indeed. Hyuk-jae flushed the barest hint of rose in his cheeks. "Oh, no — I'm sure he just feels responsible for me," he said, brushing away the idea that he must be special. Of course he wasn't. "Nagisa helped me get a job. I was ah, a bit down on my luck? When we met." He smiled at her, unconsciously using his pretty, charming smile, the one he used at work. It was different than the crooked grin he wore when genuinely amused and alone with Nagisa.

Sano, being a quiet person, asked him few questions. Hyuk-jae inquired about the piano and the man's work, saying how nice it must be to be a musician. "I play some," he said, "but I'm much better with the guitar. Do you write your own music?" Nagisa had informed the Firebender about his father's job, of course. He was secretly a bit jealous.

It was Megumi who asked about his family, those uncomfortable questions he'd rather not answer. "Oh — my father is an electrical worker," he said in a off-handed way. "We don't really speak. It's complicated." Usually that was a hint to drop a subject, right?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2013 1:50:36 GMT -6

Megumi blushed at Hyuk-jae's smile, completely charmed. "Well," she said brightly. "He wouldn't even go that far, normally." She left it at that, exchanging another look with her husband over Nagisa's head but within Hyuk-jae's eyeline.

Sano talked quietly about his piano playing with Hyuk-jae, saying that he did write a few of his own pieces but that he wasn't very good — he never played them outside of the house, either, as pianists in bars and lounges were expected to play any song on request. He showed Hyuk-jae his "cheat book", pulling it from on top of a small piano next to the seating area. Inside the book were quick references to common popular songs. They weren't the whole song, just a few measures of reminders. "We're expected to be able to improvise, as well," he added.

Like her son, Megumi was a talker. She asked questions about Hyuk-jae, babbled about her son and how sweet he was, and various other inconsequential topics.

Unlike her son, however, Megumi incredibly adept at picking up subtle changes in tone. While Nagisa wasn't incapable of doing so, he rarely paid attention unless he was at work; Megum, on the other hand, was quick to pick up on Hyuk-jae's reluctance to talk about his family.

"An electric worker," she said brightly. "That's nice. My father used to tell me stories about the first time they started using electricity when he was a child, did you know that — " and she launched into a short anecdote about when the first powerlines went up. By the end of her tale, it was as if she didn't remember she asked about Hyuk-jae's family, and she and Sano pressed no further.

Nagisa, on the other hand, was oblivious to his mother's skillful change of subject and, while he didn't bring up Hyuk-jae's family situation either, he also didn't notice that it wasn't expanded upon.

After the small talk, Nagisa's mother declared it was time for dinner. The four of them moved to a small wooden table just outside of the kitchen — they had no formal "dining" space — which was set with pretty flower-print china. The food was all served on the table separately. There were several different preparations of meat, some spicy, some not; roasted and steamed vegetables; and, Nagisa was pleased to note, a marked difference in the amount of rice versus the amount of meat. Clearly, Megumi took his phone call to heart and simply made less rice under the assumption that Hyuk-jae would not partake.

Additionally, she served him water, despite giving Sano, Nagisa, and herself apple juice. No one made any comment about the difference, it simply just was. Megumi and Nagisa talked easily for both Hyuk-jae and Sano, and Nagisa couldn't help but notice how similar his father and Hyuk-jae were in personality.

"Now Nagisa," Megumi said after they had served themselves, reaching over to cut up the meat Nagisa served to himself. Nagisa tried to subtly push her away but Megumi paid no attention. "Maybe it's time you bring a special someone and introduce them to us." She winked surreptitiously at her husband. They could guess why Hyuk-jae was there, but Nagisa had yet to say a word.

Nagisa stared at his bite-sized food with annoyance. He was perfectly capable of cutting his food himself! That was one thing he hated about his mother, but couldn't bring himself to complain about it, unlike with Nima. He loved his mom, and he knew she was just trying to take care of him because she loved him (and not in that weird obsessed way Nima had).

"I have a special someone," Nagisa muttered without thinking.

Megumi's eyebrows flew into her hair line. "Oh~~~?" she said with interest, leaning in close to her son. "Anyone we know?" She looked over at Hyuk-jae and winked.

Nagisa, still looking down and unaware of the looks going around the table, reddened with embarrasment. "Maybe," he said.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 9, 2013 2:18:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 9, 2013 2:18:55 GMT -6

The food was delicious. Hyuk-jae didn't have to say he couldn't eat something even once — Megumi gave him water and there didn't seem to be enough rice for him to eat so it just seemed natural that he didn't take any. He suspected his clearly-not-boyfriend of having phoned ahead to give her directions.

Hyuk-jae's chair was next to Sano's, which he appreciated. Nagisa was so different from his father! It was such a surprise. The Firebender was so happy to hear that Sano composed his own songs. "Do you mind playing?" Of course he probably minded! He probably spent all day doing it for people who paid. "I mean — it's fine if you don't," he amended quickly, feeling embarrassed for asking. It was just that he never got to talk to musicians. He never really got to play except for himself. Which was fine, but — ah, it just was nice to talk to someone new.

Nagisa's parents kept looking at each other, and winking. Hyuk-jae wondered if this meant that Nagisa's parents knew all about his 'secret', but wanted to let him tell them in his own time. He wondered what that must be like, having someone love you so much. A pang of jealousy hit him as Megumi babied Nagisa a little, cutting up his meat. Had his mother ever treated him that way, even when he was small?

He couldn't remember.

It came so naturally to them, being a family. Sano was quiet and easy to talk to. Megumi was the same chatterbox her son was, and her mother-henning had a sweet closeness to it. Naghisa half-heartedly tried to push her away, but it didn't really work and he wasn't really trying.

"Maybe it's time you bring a special someone and introduce them to us."
"I have a special someone."
"Oh? Anyone we know?"
"Maybe."

Hyuk-jae missed Megumi's wink in his direction. Instead he pushed a bit of vegetable around his plate, looking down at it and feeling oddly distressed. Nagisa had very clearly called him just his friend. Which lead to the conclusion that Nagisa very clearly did not think of him as his boyfriend, didn't it? And why did that upset him so much? He hadn't really had the right, he supposed, to call him his boyfriend in his head.

"Yeah," he murmured, "you can introduce them to me, too."
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 9, 2013 2:25:10 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2013 2:52:58 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae's mutterings were just loud enough to hear. Nagisa's head snapped up, his face contorted in a mixture of shock and sadness. So... Hyuk-jae didn't think of him in that manner. It was just a physical thing. He should have figured! He probably was nothing like what Hyuk-jae was interested in for real, just a stupid kid to pass the time with. Not a serious thing. Just something for fun. Oh.

Hyuk-jae didn't look at him, so Nagisa dropped his gaze back down to his plate, his vision blurring for a reason that had nothing to do with poor eyesight.

Megumi exchanged glances with her husband.

What should we do? her expression said.
They have to sort it out, he shrugged.
But this looks bad! Her eyes widened.
It's for them to figure out, he shrugged again.

The pleasant woman tutted under her breath, reaching over to serve Hyuk-jae with more vegetables, her irritated mannerisms identical to her son's jerky, almost petulant movements.

The next few moments passed in silence. Megumi kept glancing at Nagisa and Hyuk-jae, then her husband, then back to Nagisa and Hyuk-jae, trying to encourage her husband to say something. Sano simply kept shaking his head.  Megumi could read it clear enough: don't get involved. She scowled. Clearly Hyuk-jae and Nagisa both had very sweet, romantic feelings for each other but — knowing her son — he was still as obsessed with his silly romance comics and figured it would happen just like in his stories. Frowning, but with the corners of her mouth threatening to reveal a somewhat bemused smile, the shorter woman ruffled Nagisa's hair. What on earth was she going to do with him.

The awkward meal came to a close. "Dessert!" said Megumi, a far better actress than her son when it came to acting like nothing was wrong. "Nagisa, could you come help me in the kitchen, please?"

The two cleared the dinner dishes and headed to the kitchen. Megumi turned on the water and spoke to Nagisa in a low his audible only to him. "You better treat that boy nice, you hear?" she hissed. She didn't out right tell Nagisa she knew they had interest in each other — that was something for her son to tell her, in his own time — but she couldn't let such a new love wilt so soon. "He cares about you, that much is obvious."

Nagisa looked at his mother darkly. What did she know? Like she knew that Nagisa and Hyuk-jae went on a date, or that ... other stuff. But that didn't mean anything to Hyuk-jae at all.

Meanwhile, in the dining room, Sano fidgeted a little in his seat, the mannerism identical to Nagisa's I want to say something but I don't know how squirm. Finally he murmured loud enough for Hyuk-jae's ear's, "You know, sometimes... ah... in a piece of music, there is more than one tempo, you understand? But just because the tempo changes, it doesn't mean that, ah.... that the tone of the piece changes."

Nagisa and Megumi came in at the tail end of his explanation. Nagisa looked mortified. "Dad," he reprimanded. "Don't tell Hyuk-jae your weird music things! They never make any sense!"

Dessert passed awkwardly and mostly quietly. Megumi chattered along pleasantly, attempting to give Nagisa more openings to talk about his "special someone". Nagisa was too wrapped up on his brooding thoughts to notice. Eventually, Sano stood up from the table. By habit, Megumi and Nagisa did too; when Sano got up from the table, dinner was over.

Nagisa and Hyuk-jae got ready to leave, and Megumi pressed some wrapped leftovers into their hands, giving each of them a hug.

"Hyuk-jae," she murmured. "Forgive my son. He's... he's... slow on the uptake, at times." She tried to smile reassuringly and gave his hands a gentle little pat.

With Nagisa she kissed his forehead and tweaked his nose. "You behave," she admonished, "and let me know when you find a real job."

The cab ride back to Nagisa's place was dead silent. Nagisa stared out the window, wondering how the night could have gone so wrong. Arriving at his brownstone seemed a relief.

"Well," he said at the top of the stoop, turning to face Hyuk-jae but unable to look him in the eye. "Thanks for coming with me to dinner," he said, a catch in his voice. He cursed inwardly. If it meant nothing to Hyuk-jae then it meant nothing to him too! "I guess I'll see you at work!"

Nagisa's body jerked slightly, moving forward by habit to give Hyuk-jae a hug, but stopped himself. Not his boyfriend.

"Well..." Nagisa slipped the key into the door and opened it, looking up at and slightly beyond Hyuk-jae. "Good night!" he squeaked, reaching the limit on his self control. He slipped inside quickly and shut the door.

And locked it.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 9, 2013 3:25:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 9, 2013 3:25:57 GMT -6

Sano fed him some musical metaphor about different tempos and Hyuk-jae almost laughed, but Nagisa and Megumi came back. He wanted to tell Sano that the different tempos, in this case, seemed like they weren't compatible. Nagisa didn't appreciate the metaphor either, looking mortified.

The cab ride home was awkward and quiet. He had no idea what to say. It wasn't that dinner had gone poorly, just — it seemed like Nagisa's parents even liked him. And what was that about, Megumi holding his hands and saying things before he left? Slow on the uptake? The Firebender felt like that described him, not Nagisa. The two of them exited the cab and paid, walking up the steps to the brownstone like normal. Nagisa stopped, though, at the door, turning around.

Hyuk-jae moved forward to hug Nagisa, kiss him like normal — and the fluffy-haired man jerked away from him, stammering a good night and half-heartedly thanking him for coming before ducking into his flat. Hyuk-jae didn't feel like Nagisa was happy he'd gone to dinner. In fact, it felt like the opposite. He wished he hadn't gone at all. Murmuring about seeing him at work, Nagisa shut the door quickly.

He shut the door in his face. Hyuk-jae stood on the doorstep for a moment, shocked. The lock clicked and Hyuk-jae was on the doorstep, standing there like an idiot, wanting to cry. Swallowing roughly he turned, going back down the stairs and starting the long walk back to his flat. He scrubbed at his eyes with the heel of his hand.

Stopping at a shop on the way he borrowed a phone, calling Yoshida. If he was going to spend a night sad and alone, he might as well earn money. The businessman sent a cab for him and he went to him, wordlessly. The man was exactly how he'd imagined, holding little to no surprises except, perhaps, that he was more sadistic than Hyuk-jae had counted on. By the time he got home he was completely worn out, and he fell into bed and sleep instantly, blessedly able to forget about his horrible night.

When he went into work the next night sore with bruises forming just under the collar of his shirt, arriving ten minutes early, he waited for Nagisa for twenty minutes. The shorter man didn't show up. Finally, exasperated, Hyuk-jae went to Madam Jainukul's office. She seemed surprised to see him.
"What are you doing here?" she asked. "Nagisa called in for tonight, so I cancelled all your bookings." Her stern face was slightly apologetic. "I didn't have any solo bookings for you, and I thought you must've been included in his call-in."
"I wasn't," Hyuk-jae said in a brisk tone of voice.
"Yes, I can see that." Jainukul returned his tone. "Don't you boys live together? Why would you be unaware of his absence?"
"It was a temporary arrangement." Hyuk-jae saw no reason to expand upon the matter, but did provide his new address for her.

Jainukul eyed the bruising around his neck but said nothing about it, choosing instead to offer him a night in the office doing filing. Doing office work wouldn't pay nearly as well as hosting, but it was better than nothing. Hyuk-jae accepted and quietly sat until morning, filing things and refusing to talk about his life. It was just as well that she left him alone, because he was in the poorest mood imaginable. He knew he didn't have a telephone in his apartment, but Nagisa could have sent him a note if he was sick. Considering that he'd seen him the night before, Hyuk-jae sincerely doubted he was sick. No, Nagisa was punishing him. Nagisa was punishing him and he didn't even know why. And tomorrow was his birthday!

Not, he reminded himself, that that really means anything. It was one more year. He would finally be out of his teens — twenty years old. It seemed strange to think of himself as not being nineteen anymore. Hyuk-jae ate his lunch in the office and left when Jainukul did, as the Club closed. He took the lunch he'd packed for Nagisa back to his apartment, cursing himself for taking the time to make heart-shaped onigiri and the little pentapus sausages. What was he doing? He couldn't eat that stuff. It would go to waste, now. Still, the Firebender couldn't bring himself to throw it away.

He wore all black to work the following evening, including his old stompy boots and faint smudges of black liner around the eyes. The bruising around his neck was mostly hidden by his shirt collar, but he brought a black scarf with him just in case it was too obvious. Once again the tall young man arrived before Nagisa, and as he stood in the locker room, he wondered if Nagisa was going to skip out again. Why was he punishing him? Hadn't he done everything right? He'd cooked for him and cleaned for him and made sure he was satisfied in other ways and gone on the date and... Gritting his teeth, Hyuk-jae slammed his locker shut and looked over his list.

One name stood out among all the others as one he recognized, but not from the Host Club. Lee I-an. Listed not once, but twice.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 9, 2013 15:55:26 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2013 16:31:06 GMT -6

Nagisa sank to the floor, shaking. He yanked off his glasses, clutching them in his hand as the tears fell, unchecked. He was so, so, so stupid. How could he think that someone like Hyuk-jae — a worldly, experienced, handsome, mature man — would like someone like him. Someone silly, and immature, and child-like. He was just deluding himself, thinking that Hyuk-jae's "I like you" meant emotionally.

So he cried. He cried and he cried until he cried without tears, hiccuping and nauseous and headachey, coughing until he gagged. His eyes burned and itched, his stomach hurt, and he wished he could just sink into a hole in the ground and never come out.

His comic books gave him no solace. Story after story with a happily ever after seemed like a mockery, a slap to the face. After only two pages he flung the book from him, smashing it into the wall.

The house suddenly felt too empty, to cold. He shoved his coat on, jammed his feet back into shoes, and wandered outside. He went to the corner stand, his eyes down cast, and loaded up on action comics and pre-packaged snacks: sweet corn-based chips, dried seaweed, and mochi. He wandered around for a while before going home, the sting of the cold air a relief to his face.

He came home a few hours later, his nose dripping from cold, ears red. He curled up in his bed, listening to the radio and reading his new comics. The stories bored him, but he plowed through anyway.

He tried sleeping at the right time, but his chest hurt too much. His bed was so big, so empty. He buried his face into what used to be Hyuk-jae's pillow. He never thought he'd miss him so much, that it would hurt this much, to be just his friend. He tossed and turned for hours, unable to sleep despite feeling like he could sleep forever. It wasn't until the sun began to rise that he finally cried himself to sleep.

The alarm couldn't rouse him from his sleep until it went off for the tenth time. He groaned and rolled over, slamming his hand over the clock to shut it off.

Nagisa felt miserable; his nose was stuffed up, his lips dry and cracked from mouth-breathing. He dragged himself to the bathroom and a pale raccoon-dog stared back at him through the mirror. Great. He couldn't go to work looking like this; all the cosmetics in the world wouldn't be able to hide the rings around his eyes or the miserable look on his face. There was just nothing to do about it than take an extra day off. Madame Jainukul accepted his call-in without much complaint, and Nagisa was grateful. He didn't want to explain to her what had happened last night.

He dozed on and off all day, ate his snacks, moped around in his pyjamas without changing. A self-care day, that's what he needed. A day to indulge in his heartbreak, then move on.

The next day, Nagisa felt better. The ache in his chest was still there, but he got a better night's rest, and — while nervous about seeing Hyuk-jae — felt like he could smile and behave like a host.

He was late to work; the cab he called arrived 10 minutes after he had scheduled, so he wound up arriving at quarter til seven, fifteen minutes later than he normally did.

Swallowing, he opened the door to the employee room. "Good afternoon!" he said brightly, adjusting his cravat. He had tried to dress to improve his mood, so he wore something bright and uplifting: a sunny yellow button up, a black vest, and very light grey tweed trousers. He smiled at Hyuk-jae, looking just slightly past him.

"Sorry I missed work yesterday," he said, forcing himself to sound cheery. "I think I ate some bad pre-bed snacks so I got a bit sick." He laughed sheepishly, the lie easy enough compared to the thought of telling Hyuk-jae the truth: that he had thought more of their relationship than Hyuk-jae did.

Nagisa chattered absently, filling the silence between them, talking about whatever he could think of — some silly letter someone sent in to Charumati, the agony aunt of the Republic City Times, how delicious those corn snacks had been (too bad they made him sick), whatever — to fill the silence.

"Shall we?" he asked, once again looking up at and slightly past Hyuk-jae as he held out his hand. When Hyuk-jae took it, Nagisa's stomach clenched and his heart flip-flopped. He turned his head slightly, away from his partner, as they made their way to the hosting hall.

Nagisa didn't recognise the first name on their client list. A new client, perhaps, or a transplant from someone else's list. He sat up primly, smiling at their guest when he arrived.

The first thing Nagisa noticed was the suit. It was a very nice, well-pressed suit, just dressed down enough to make him look like something other than a business man. The fluffy-haired young man looked up at him, confused. Why did this client book them? This wasn't usually the type to request a shota-boy and his stoic companion.

To his surprise, the tough-looking man made a beeline for Hyuk-jae.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 9, 2013 16:50:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 9, 2013 16:50:08 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae met Nagisa's greeting with a simple nod of his head, even more quiet than usual. He was taller than normal in his stumpy boots, and his all-black attire was a stark contrast to the shorter man's sunny getup. It reinforced to him again how very different they were, all the reasons Nagisa would have someone else to think of as his 'someone special'. He didn't want Hyuk-jae as his boyfriend. His housekeeper, maybe. His cook, sure. But not his boyfriend.

"Sorry I missed work yesterday. I think I ate some bad pre-bed snacks so I got a bit sick."

What a liar. Hyuk-jae knew what was really going on — Nagisa didn't come as a way to punish him, was punishing him still by looking so absolutely and totally fine. He didn't care at all, filling silence with his usual chatter. The Firebender said as little as possible, brushing aside the apology by saying he'd just worked in the office since Jainukul had cancelled all their bookings.

Taking his hand to enter the room, Nagisa didn't bother looking at him. Maybe he was unimpressed with how Hyuk-jae had acted around his parents. He knew he'd been quiet, but… he hadn't realized it would bother the younger man so much. He wouldn't have gone if he'd known.

Luckily for Hyuk-jae, Lee was first on their list. Nagisa sat up straighter as the gangster entered, looking out of place in his suit and slicked-back hair. Bright green eyes sparkled in his face, and the suit was one of the flashiest in the room — if not the flashiest. He was a tough man and it showed, but Hyuk-jae's smile upon seeing him was utterly genuine and sweet. Under his arm the man carried a small, brightly-wrapped package. He set it aside on the table immediately as Hyuk-jae stood. "Jae-ya!" Lee pulled him into a warm hug.
"Lee?"
"Sure, wasn't I on your list? I finally caught up with you — why didn't you tell me you'd got on here?" Putting the Firebender at arms' length, he looked him over even as he offered him a single, yellow rose. "It's Eunhyuk here, right? Sorry about that."

"You're looking a bit healthier than usual," the gangster remarked. "It's good to see, especially today."
"What are you doing here?" Hyuk-jae's hands rested on Lee's elbows, his orange eyes bright.
"Don't be an idiot!" Lee laughed. "I came to see you, of course. It's your birthday. How could I not?" Peering around Hyuk-jae, he seemed to notice Nagisa for the first time. "Ah, but you have a partner here. Smart of them, marketing you with a kid like this." His green eyes swept down Nagisa's body, almost dismissive.

The two of them took a seat and Lee ordered champagne, refusing to take no for an answer. "Even you can have one tiny glass on your birthday," he said, pushing one towards Hyuk-jae.
Lifting it to his lips, the young man smiled before taking a drink. It was the first time he'd ever had anything but water or tea in the Club, and several other hosts were staring. Setting the glass down, he cleared his throat. "This is Shouta," he said, sweeping a hand towards Nagisa. "You booked us together, I believe."
"Well, for now." Lee leaned his chin in his hand. "I think I asked for you by yourself after."
Hyuk-jae laughed at that. "You know you did. I can't believe you're here! How's the girls? And the Eye?"

The gangster laughed and chattered with Hyuk-jae, telling him all about his sweet children and the rest of the boys down at the Wooden Eye. "Everyone misses you," he assured him, "but no one more than me."
"Flatterer."
Lee asked a few questions of Nagisa. How old was he? And how long had they been working together? It was hard to hold to a role with him, because he seemed to simply be having none of it.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 9, 2013 16:50:57 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2013 18:24:48 GMT -6

Jae-ya.

It echoed over and over in Nagisa's head. Jae-ya, the client called him Jae-ya. He fidgeted uncomfortably, a strained smile plastered to his face. Hyuk-jae had a big smile on his face, like Nagisa had never seen; he looked at the client, Lee, feeling more and more inadequate as every second ticked by. Nagisa dropped his gaze when Lee turned his attention back to him, his face red. Obviously, obviously, this was the type of guy Hyuk-jae liked. A no-nonsense, mature, older man.

Everything that he wasn't.

"What are you doing here?" Hyuk-jae's hands rested on Lee's elbows, his orange eyes bright.
"Don't be an idiot!" Lee laughed. "I came to see you, of course. It's your birthday. How could I not?"

It was like a punch to the gut. Yeah, it was obvious Hyuk-jae didn't think of him as anyone special. He didn't even tell Nagisa his birthday was so soon. Feeling an inch tall and miserable, Nagisa watched as Lee poured a glass of champagne for Hyuk-jae, staring at Hyuk-jae and feeling betrayed as his partner raised the flute glass to his lips and took a sip, talking about how Lee had booked him solo as well.

And they had history. Nagisa sat, like an outsider, listening to Hyuk-jae and Lee catch up — how was his family, how was everything, what have you been doing? Nagisa felt smaller and smaller with each moment, until he felt invisible.

Of course, that's when Lee turned his attention to him and asked how old he was.

"I'm eighteen," he muttered, not bothering to put on his act. Why waste the energy when it wouldn't work anyway?

"Eighteen!" Lee laughed at him and turned to Hyuk-jae. "Is he serious? He's got to be, what, twelve?" Lee laughed again, staring at Nagisa while he squirmed uncomfortably, recalling how Hyuk-jae had said the same thing when they first met. "And how long have you been working together?"

Nagisa found himself wishing for that hole in the floor again.

"A few months," he answered. Not that Lee was listening to him.

He couldn't help but notice how much Lee touched Hyuk-jae, and how much Hyuk-jae touched him back. Nagisa felt his resolve to get over things begin to dissolve, wearing away with each time Hyuk-jae laughed comfortably, leaned up against Lee, talked to him in a deferring tone that Nagisa never heard used at him before.

Oh yeah. This guy was definitely Hyuk-jae's special someone.

He was surprised when Lee addressed him again. "So, what is it you do for the act?" he queried nosily. Nagisa shrugged, unable to give the answer that came to his head. It sounded stupid to tell such a masculine, put-together man that his job was to act like a kid and get babied by clients.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 9, 2013 19:07:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 9, 2013 19:07:52 GMT -6

"I know he looks young," said Hyuk-jae, automatically defensive for Nagisa, "but he's really eighteen." He smiled at the shorter man, trying to put him at ease. Nagisa looked so uncomfortable! Was it because Lee was obviously a gangster?
"Ohhhhhhh," said Lee. "My mistake." He grinned at Nagisa, showing his teeth. "Maybe the outfit threw me off."

When Lee asked what the shorter man's role was, Nagisa just shrugged. It was so unlike him! "The clients all prefer him to me," said Hyuk-jae. "He makes them happy."
Lee raised a brow. "You don't?"
"It's not that kind of Club."
Laughing, the gangster waved a hand. "I know, I know. But you're a nice guy too!"

Lee didn't seem fazed at all by the seizures. In fact, Hyuk-jae had one of the longest absence seizures he'd ever had at the table with Nagisa, and the gangster simply… waited. He paused his sentence and watched the Firebender with gentle eyes, waiting for him to 'come back to life'. Patting Hyuk-jae's forearm, he smiled a little. "Long one," he said.
"What did I miss?"
The man lifted a shoulder. "Nothing. You know I stop talking for you."

Pushing the package across the table, Lee grinned. "Go on, then! Twenty is a good year!"
Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae peeled the bright red paper back. It was a brand-new and hardcover novel from a detective author whose books he'd read at Lee's house. Hyuk-jae loved everything by the writer, and his face lit up when he saw it. "But — this isn't even out yet!" he protested. "How did you —"
Shrugging, Lee linked his fingers behind his head and leaned back in his chair. "Gotta get something nice for my best boy."

Hyuk-jae turned to show the novel to Nagisa, to point out that it was an advance copy, but the fluffy-haired man didn't seem interested. Worse, he seemed annoyed with him.No matter what he tried, Nagisa remained silent and uncomfortable. Hyuk-jae wilted a little, all his efforts to bring the shorter man into conversation falling flat. Lee glanced back and forth between them as if trying to figure something out, and when the hour with both of them was up, he seemed a little relieved.

The two of them departed for a room, Lee winking at Nagisa as he left. Once safely ensconced behind a closed door, Lee pulled Hyuk-jae into a tight embrace. "You should've told me," he said, "when you came here. I was worried. You even moved!"
"Well, I — it just happened so fast," Hyuk-jae said, sitting down with a pot of tea and motioning for Lee to do the same. "I was living with Nagisa. That's his real name, obviously."
"Yeah, I gathered. What exactly is your relationship?"
"Um…" Hyuk-jae looked down at the cups and busied himself pouring tea.
"Boyfriends?"
"Well… I thought so, but… I guess we didn't make it official. And —"
"What does he call you?" Lee took the offered cup of tea, blowing it on it a little.
Hyuk-jae frowned. "His friend."

While initially, Hyuk-jae had felt better having Lee with them, that feeling faded as the man questioned him about Nagisa. They talked about the apartment and the cooking and cleaning. Lee seemed incredulous that Nagisa could possibly have let Hyuk-jae do everything. "And, you know. In bed? I mean, at least —"
"Well, I just… I thought it would be nicer…" he trailed off, realizing how stupid he sounded. His chest hurt.
The gangster barked a laugh. "Oh, come on! Are you serious? This guy's just using you, Hyuk-jae! You should at least make him pay you if it's gonna be like that." Lee drank the last of his tea. "It sounds like you just got picked up for a good time."

Nagisa wasn't like that! Hyuk-jae opened his mouth to protest, but —
This is my friend.
The memory of Nagisa's introduction at his parent's house sprang to mind. He'd called him his friend. And shut the door in his face after saying he had a special someone. Maybe Lee was right. Hyuk-jae curled his fingers into a fist on his thigh, chewing his lower lip. "No, that's not… that's not right."
"Really?" Lee gave him a deep, pitying look. "You can't tell even after all this time? This kid just… picked you up, off the street, and let you live with him?"
"He's just a nice person!"
"Yeah, and I'll bet he was really nice to you, wasn't he? Enough to make sure you'd stick around and do things for him, free of charge, right? Tell me, did he ever even once touch you on his own?"
He kissed him in the carriage. That one time. That counted, didn't it? Hyuk-jae said so, but Lee shook his head. "That's not what I mean, and you know it."

By the time the hour was up, Hyuk-jae had no idea how he felt. He was glad Lee had come. It was nice to see him. But the pain in his chest, from before, was worse than ever. He felt like crying, like breaking things. How could he possibly have ever, ever been so stupid? Of course Nagisa had no real feelings for him! And worse, he'd been so, so quick to believe that he could.

Guys like that, Lee had said, before leaving, don't go for guys like you. Like me. Guys like that get married. They have babies. And they laugh at us when we're gone, unless we learn to laugh first.

Hyuk-jae didn't feel like laughing. He came back to Nagisa, sitting down quietly. He almost looked ghostly, so pale in his black clothes. Glancing at the younger man, he tried to smile. "So," he said. "That's… that's Lee. I've known him for a few years now. Sorry it was — such a surprise. I didn't realize he knew I was here." As if Nagisa cared. Looking down at his hands, he told himself over and over not to cry.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2013 19:43:53 GMT -6

Nagisa completely tuned out the meeting. Entirely. It took every ounce of willpower he possessed and then some not to burst into tears right then and there, especially as Hyuk-jae unwrapped his present and gushed over it. Some book was shoved under his nose and Nagisa jerked away, uninterested. Yeah, yeah. It was probably real special, something Nagisa would never have bought Hyuk-jae in a million years because Nagisa was a stupid little kid who never thought further than some silly romance novel and the next meal.

It was so obvious that Lee was just perfect for Hyuk-jae. The other man noticed everything about him, even when Hyuk-jae zoned out; Lee waited through it. It was something Nagisa couldn't have done, wouldn't have known to do, wouldn't have even thought of doing.

Spirits, he was just a deluded little nincompoop, wasn't he? Thinking he and Hyuk-jae would have a romance like his comics. Nothing like this ever happened in comics. There was nothing about finding out the person you were in love with was in love with someone else. That never happened to the protagonist.

Stupid, he berated himself. Dummy. Loser. Baby. Brainless. Immature. 

He nearly missed the end of the hour; Hyuk-jae and Lee got up, startling Nagisa out of his internal lecture. Lee winked at him as they went by; Nagisa waited a moment, then made a nasty face to the floor. He was stupid, all right, and Lee very well knew it.

Nagisa had a client while Hyuk-jae and Lee spent their solo hour together. He cried to the client, with Hyuk-jae safely gone, making up some story about how he had lost his favourite stuffed animal. He clung to his hosting identity like a drowning man to a life preserver; he may have had nothing else, but he had that.

By the time Hyuk-jae came back, Nagisa had consumed four glasses of wine and was flushed. His tears were replaced by self-anger and self-frustration. His partner sat next to him, smiling and talking about Lee.

"Yeah, I gathered that was Lee," he said, his words ever so slightly slurred, barely noticeable but there. "You only said his name about a hundred times." Nagisa glanced at the clock. Their next client was late. "You call him nice things too, when you're alone? Call him -ya too?" He laughed harshly, feeling his words like a whip. "Or is that just something you do, eh?"

With no client in sight, Nagisa continued, knowing his words would hurt Hyuk-jae but unable to stop. It didn't even matter, anyway. So what if Hyuk-jae hated him? It would be better to be hated than be liked, but not loved. "Sorry I zoned out there," he said, leaning back in his seat, away from Hyuk-jae, crossing his legs and looking past him and over the crowd. "You know how we kids are, with our short attention spans. Gosh, I didn't even understand anything you grown ups said."

He stretched his lips into a smile, but it was more like baring his teeth. "You sure you wouldn't rather go home with Lee?" Nagisa felt out of control, his chest getting tighter with each word that passed his lips. Good. He was just being stupid anyway. Who cared what Hyuk-jae thought about him now? After all, Hyuk-jae had Lee, who he obviously cared about more. Cared about at all. Who wasn't a stupid, immature, stupid, baby-ish, stupid, idiotic, stupid KID.

Nagisa poured himself another glass of wine, knowing it was a bad idea, knowing that he was ruining everything, but unable to stop. "What a great birthday though," he said acidly. "Your boyfriend coming to surprise you at work? Not that I'd know anything about what boyfriends do, ha-ha!"

Still no client. Nagisa stood suddenly, wobbled a bit, then straightened. "I'm going to the back room," he spat. "Send someone for me whenever the client arrives."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 10, 2013 13:31:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 10, 2013 13:31:57 GMT -6

Frowning, Hyuk-jae narrowed his eyes. Was Nagisa drunk? He glanced at the wine glass on the table. Maybe not, but he was definitely on his way there. He'd never seen Nagisa drink that much — what was going on with him? He opened his mouth to say something, but —

"You call him nice things too, when you're alone? … Or is that just something you do, eh?"

Hyuk-jae felt as if Nagisa had punched him. Was he — was he calling him a whore? At work? Right now? Hot tears pricked at his eyes. "N-no," he stammered, "I told you, I haven't seen him in a long time… since before I met you…" But it just kept going. Nagisa was obviously still angry with him. Or worse, this was how Nagisa actually thought of him.

"You know how we kids are, with our short attention spans. Gosh, I didn't even understand anything you grown ups said."

"What are you talking about?" The Firebender felt so lost! Had he missed something?

"You sure you wouldn't rather go home with Lee?"

"No," he said, trying to keep his voice even, "why would I —" Nagisa cut him off for the second time.

"What a great birthday though. Your boyfriend coming to surprise you at work? Not that I'd know anything about what boyfriends do, ha-ha!"

That was enough. Growing angry now, Hyuk-jae tightened one hand into a fist. "Lee is not my boyfriend," he said. Now he knew that Nagisa was making fun of him for having thought of him as his boyfriend. Lee was right. The shorter man was laughing at him, at the very idea that Hyuk-jae could have thought of him as his boyfriend. He'd been messing with him, the whole time! Abruptly, Nagisa went to the back, leaving Hyuk-jae at the table.

Hell no. The Firebender stood quickly, taking the book with him. Nagisa could not say those things and just walk away. It was inexcusable. What's more, Hyuk-jae had a thing or two of his own to say, and none of it was appropriate for their clients' ears. He left word with someone else to call for them when their clients arrived and went to the back himself, stopping to put the book in his locker before looking around. Catching sight of Nagisa sitting in a curled up position on the floor, he stalked over, standing in front of him but not bothering to sit.

"What the hell is your problem?" Hyuk-jae snapped, his temper finally having given way. He was usually not prone to yelling at others, likely due to repeated bad experiences with it himself. "What did I wrong this time?! Is it just that you hate learning even the smallest thing about my life?" Nagisa had been rude when Lee was with them. Not openly, of course. But he'd ignored him, made no attempt to be nice or even to seem happy that he was there. While seeing him was a surprise, he'd thought that Nagisa would be happy to know something about his friends from before. Clearly he'd been mistaken, and why not? Why would Nagisa care at all about his life before?

"He's not classy enough for you? Or is it just me that you're bored with?" He knew he shouldn't, but once Hyuk-jae got going it was hard to stop. "Is that it? I wasn't as fun as you thought. Or was it because I didn't let you screw me?" Nagisa had probably thought he'd get a lot more out of Hyuk-jae for free than he had. Maybe he was just upset at the lost opportunity. After the last sentence the dam finally broke, tears coming forth and ruining his eyeliner. "Why are you still punishing me? Wasn't last night enough? I brought your lunch and everything but you had them cancel all of our clients! Because I'm not able to take them myself, and you know it! Is it funny to you, that I have to have you here to cover for me, to make up for the fact that I'm pathetic and abnormal? And I even brought your lunch, I made rice for you, and you just — I had to work in the office, by myself. For minimum wage! How could you do that?!" Frustrated, Hyuk-jae rubbed the heel of one hand at his eye. He took a ragged breath.

"I know I'm stupid for even thinking there was a remote possibility that you cared about me," he said, not yelling any more, "but I did. Isn't it funny? And I tried, I tried really hard, to make you happy. I thought you would be pleased with me if I did things for you. And I'm sorry I wasn't perfect when I met your parents. I didn't know what to say." Hyuk-jae was shaking, unable to stop himself from crying. He backed away from Nagisa, reaching for a chair. The embarrassing thing was that he could not, no matter what he tried, stop crying. He felt so... so stupid, and so hurt.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 10, 2013 13:37:14 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 10, 2013 14:03:27 GMT -6

Nagisa listened to Hyuk-jae's tirade with mounting anger, his face flushing scarlet and his mouth opening and shutting repeatedly as he tried to interject. Oh, is this how Hyuk-jae was going to play it? Nagisa got up, not bothering to brush off the seat of his pants, and crossed his arms over his chest, eyes narrowed in accusation and doubt.

"You, care about me?" Nagisa demanded when Hyu-jae had finished. The other man had stopped yelling, but Nagisa had only just begun. "Don't make me laugh! I'm sure it was because you bloody care about me that you acted dumb when I told my parents I had someone special? What did you say — 'Introduce me to them', wasn't it? Oh, oh, maybe, maybe you showed you cared about me by not telling me your birthday was coming up, huh?"

The shorter man slammed a fist into the metal lockers with a bang, his glasses sliding down his nose. "Yeah I'm sure you cared REAL bad, acting like you didn't know who I was trying to tell my parents about! My parents don't even know about me, it wasn't enough that I brought you home? Did you listen to my mother? I never get close to anyone. Ever! Don't even give me this malarkey about how much you care about me, Hyuk-jae. I know I'm just a STUPID KID but I'm not that stupid!"

He pushed past Hyuk-jae. "Stop crying," he snarled. "You don't fool me. You just think I'm some dumb rich baby. I take you for a ride? Puh-leez."

Nagisa whirled back around, his fist clenched at his side. "I'm the one that asked you on a date. I'm the one that apologised and kissed you that day at work. I kissed you in the carriage. I was stupid enough to think we'd live together like a couple once you got used to staying with me. I was the one who introduced you to my family first. I bought you that guitar with your name on it because I thought you looked happy when you were playing at the store. But yeah, Hyuk-jae, I was totally only in it for the physical stuff." He brushed away angry tears.

"You can't even tell me your effing birthday," he hissed. "You, care about me? What a joke."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 10, 2013 14:28:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 10, 2013 14:28:17 GMT -6

What?!

"You introduced me as your friend!" Hyuk-jae's voice got stronger with the tide of his temper. "You introduced me as your friend. Why should I think you meant me when you started talking about 'someone special'?!" His parents didn't know about him? God, that was hilarious. Hyuk-jae rolled his eyes. "They know, okay? Trust me! They know."

As for his birthday, was Nagisa serious? Hyuk-jae barked out a laugh. "Really? I haven't celebrated my birthday since I was five. Why should I bother mentioning it? In case you haven't noticed, it always goes to shit!" He jumped when Nagisa slammed a fist into the lockers with a loud 'bang'.

Nagisa wouldn't hit him, would he? Orange eyes widened, laced with fear. Surely not. He wouldn't. The shorter man continued yelling at him, about how he should've known who he was talking about. How it shouldn't have hurt his feelings to be introduced as just a friend, nobody special. Despite what Megumi had said, in Hyuk-jae's mind, a friend was still just that — a friend. And Nagisa had called him his friend.

Despite Nagisa's command, he couldn't stop crying. "I never once said anything like that!" Hyuk-jae protested. He'd never called Nagisa a baby or anything like it. Not once. "I —"

But then Nagisa mentioned his moving out and Hyuk-jae stared at him, shocked. "You're mad at me for moving out?!" he asked in disbelief. "But — you never asked me to stay! Not once! How was I supposed to know you wanted me to stay?!" He'd thought his presence bothered Nagisa, thought he'd wanted time alone. How could he have known it wasn't like that? Just because Nagisa said he'd miss him? Please. As for the rest —

"Introduce you to my family?" Hyku-jae laughed, a pained sound. "Are you drunk? I can't introduce you to people who act like I don't exist! I don't have a family any more, Nagisa. I haven't had a family in three years. And the one time you meet someone who was kind to me before you, you act like — like this." Lee was as good as family got to Hyuk-jae. He was the only person who ever remembered his birthday, the only person who gave him gifts. He was the only person who thought of the seizures as just a thing, nothing important.

"You, care about me?"

"But I love you," Hyuk-jae said, voice very quiet.

What a joke.

No kidding. "Yeah," said Hyuk-jae, softly, looking down at his hands. "That's me."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 10, 2013 15:00:02 GMT -6

"My parent's don't — they can't — I've never — about me — !" Nagisa sputtered, trying to get back on track. "Even if they do know!" he amended, "Even if, I didn't know that! I — "

But Hyuk-jae interrupted him, talking about his family, or lack thereof. "Well, how was I supposed to know that? Jumping jehosaphat, Hyuk-jae, you don't tell me anything about yourself unless I pry it outta you with a pair of pliers! I'm not psychic. Are you kidding me? I just — "

"But I love you," Hyuk-jae said, voice very quiet.

That knocked the wind out of his sails. Nagisa shut his mouth abruptly, chest heaving. He started at Hyuk-jae, who was looking down at his hands. He stood there, stock still, staring in silence for a few moments.

Suddenly, Nagisa moved forward, straight at Hyuk-jae, who flinched at his approach. Nagisa ignored it, reaching out a hand to grab his shoulder. Hyuk-jae flinched again and even winced as if in preparation for something. Without so much as a preamble, Nagsia pushed him back up against the lockers, standing up on tiptoe and kissed him, open-mouthed, hard. "Stupid," he muttered between kisses. "I was — supposed to be — the one — to say it — first." Nagisa realised his cheek was wet. Was it him? Or Hyuk-jae? Whatever, it didn't matter.

"I had a whole plan and everything, dummy," he added, kissing Hyuk-jae's jaw line, nose, nibbling his ear, his hands wandering and aggressive. "I just wanted to take you home first, to my parents. I wanted them to meet you. I didn't think they knew about me or I'd have told them as soon as I walked in."

He paused, breathless, and pulled away from Hyuk-jae. His face still looked upset, but a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "I love you, Hyuk-jae. I do, really really and truly. I thought — I thought you didn't love me."

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 10, 2013 15:21:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 10, 2013 15:21:29 GMT -6

Nagisa came towards him and Hyuk-jae flinched. This was it, Nagisa was going to hit him. He wasn't under the illusion some people kept that smaller people were less violent. They weren't. Often, they were more fierce. He felt the man's hand on his shoulder and winced again, steeling himself for the upcoming hit. Where would it be? Hopefully not his face.

Instead, Nagisa hauled him away from the chair and pushed him up against the lockers, pressing their mouths together.
Hyuk-jae's eyes went wide in surprise. Nagisa was kissing him, murmuring about how he was supposed to be the one to say it first.

Nagisa's hands were quickly under his shirt, pressing against his skin. It was more aggression than Nagisa had ever shown, that was certain — certainly more confidence, physically, and more surety of himself. Hyuk-jae responded instantly, of course, his own arms coming up around the shorter man, pressing their hips together. He could feel his body reacting to Nagisa already, and he slid a hand into the man's hair, exploring his mouth with something akin to hunger before Nagisa pulled back for a second.

"I just wanted to take you home first, to my parents. I wanted them to meet you. I didn't think they knew about me or I'd have told them as soon as I walked in."

Hyuk-jae wanted to point out that Nagisa being gay wasn't exactly a stretch, but the younger man was still talking, and what he was saying blew his mind. "But — um — I —" this was happening a little fast, wasn't it? Hyuk-jae was shocked, surprised, completely unprepared for that kind of reaction. Nagisa loved him back? It seemed impossible. "Why?" he asked, and his expression proved that the question was genuine. He had idea why or how Nagisa would possibly love him.

Shaking his head, he pulled Nagisa back to him, winding his arms around the shorter man. Really, it didn't matter why. It made no sense to him, but that was more Nagisa's problem than his. It might not last past the first full-blown fit, either, not if Nagisa witnessed it, but... shouldn't he be able to enjoy the moment? Hyuk-jae was horrible at living in the moment. Bringing their mouths together again, he closed his eyes.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 10, 2013 16:32:13 GMT -6