The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Dear Lover [tag: zombi]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 12, 2013 18:27:58 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Nagisa turned a surprised face to Hyuk-jae. "Huh? Why would I want that?" He was baffled. Hadn't he just said that the club would be compensating both of them? He stood and began putting his stuff together for the trip home. "We're partners, dearest. If you're not working, neither am I. And it's not like we're not getting paid what we would've anyway." He smiled over his shoulder in what he hoped was a reassuring manner. "The company has some degree of expectation for this sort of thing to happen, so Jainukul will sort it out with the finance people or whomever."

Turning to face Hyuk-jae fully, he held out his hand, still smiling. "It's not your fault, okay? It doesn't matter if you said it was okay a thousand times outside of work. At work, it's not okay, and he knew that. Jainukul even read it off her clipboard, that he signed documents saying he understood the policy! My mom talks about that a lot, with her job at the bank. If people sign that they understand the policy, then they have no way to excuse going against it no matter what anyone does."

They could still hear the sounds of the evening on the way out; the low rumble of people talking quietly, glasses clinking together, soft strains of music. Outside the building, the city was still alive and bustling. It had only been a couple of hours since they had gone in for their shifts, so the night was still young.

"Do you want to get take away tonight?" Hyuk-jae shook his head, murmuring that he wasn't hungry. Frowning a little, Nagisa let it go without comment but stopped at a corner store to pick up an obento.

Figuring that Hyuk-jae would want to be around things he found comfortable, Nagisa took the route to get to Hyuk-jae's apartment instead of going to his place. Arriving at the smaller apartment, Nagisa immediately set down his meal on the kitchen counter.

"Do you want me to make you tea?" he asked, kind of hoping Hyuk-jae would say no. Tea making, and pouring, was not exactly his strong suit.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 12, 2013 18:51:54 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2013 21:48:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2013 21:48:48 GMT -6

Curling his lip at being called 'dearest', Hyuk-jae finished his tea. "I'm sorry," he said again, feeling helpless. Once the tea was gone he was on his feet, putting his boots on and getting ready to leave. His boyfriend continued to try to comfort him, but it was really a waste of time.

No matter what Nagisa said, he knew it was really still his fault. If he'd never taken Yoshida as a client this wouldn't have happened. Hyuk-jae knew it, and he knew Nagisa knew it. As they stepped outside he took a breath. It was so early! They were missing out of hours of work. Orange eyes cut to the side in a guilty glance, and he apologized yet again.

"Do you want to get take away tonight?"

The very thought of food was nauseating. Hyuk-jae shook his head. "I'm not hungry," he said, even though he knew he ought to eat. It was a relief when Nagisa headed for Hyuk-jae's apartment instead of his own. It wasn't that he didn't like Nagisa's apartment, but the smallness of his was comforting. Silent all the way home, the dark-haired young man walked swiftly and took alleyway shortcuts. As soon as they crossed the threshold he was already unbuttoning his shirt, heading for the shower.

"Do you want me to make you tea?"

The Firebender shook his head. "No. I don't want anything." He dropped his shirt on the floor as he went into the bathroom. Maybe he'd feel better after a shower. Turning the water on full hot, he stood under the stream until it became cold, scrubbing at his skin with what was probably a little excess force. When he emerged, dressed in nothing but his old, soft black trousers, he seemed more sedate — quiet, but not in an urgent way. His eyes were a little red, sure. The shower was the best place for crying, in his opinion. His shoulders were a little red too from scrubbing. He turned the kettle on, setting water to boil. All he had were medicinal teas and genmaicha, but he found genmaicha comforting. Once the heat was on he padded into the living room, looking for Nagisa.

Pushing heavy, damp hair out of his eyes, Hyuk-jae curled up on the sofa next to his boyfriend. His apartment was a lived-in place, with colourful afghans and secondhand family quilts draped over furniture. A carefully restored radio sat on a table in the corner, softly playing music. He assumed Nagisa had turned it on. Lee's present sat on the end table that double-dutied as his nightstand, carefully marked at two chapters in.

Which was worse? Feeling sick and scared or feeling numb? Hyuk-jae wasn't sure. The shaking fear was gone but in its place was a coldness sitting blackly in his stomach. He rolled his earrings in his fingers, eyes hidden beneath long lashes.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 12, 2013 22:45:00 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 13, 2013 2:05:11 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae went to go take a shower, refusing the tea politely. When he was out of earshot, Nagisa breathed a sigh of relief. He really didn't want to have to make tea. It was way too hard.

While Hyuk-jae was showering, Nagisa made himself at home on the sofa, eating slowly out of the now lukewarm bento he bought. He flipped on the radio; normally, he'd read during dinner, but he hadn't brought any comics with him to work. He'd also not started bringing comics over to Hyuk-jae's place. He ate in silence, listening to some romance story about a lady whose fiancé was lost in a war, and how she was writing letters because she was convinced he was still alive. Pretty good, even if it wasn't fluffy like his comics.

He was almost done with his food when Hyuk-jae came out of the shower, putting a kettle on the stove to boil and joining him on the sofa. Nagisa curled up his legs, smiling as Hyuk-jae snuggled up next to him. The radio had switched to playing some soft music, and Nagisa felt at ease. The same, however, could not seem to be said for Hyuk-jae. Though the shaking was gone, Hyuk-jae was playing with his earrings.

He played with his earrings when talking about his family, too.

Nagisa stroked Hyuk-jae's damp hair. "Are you going to be okay?" he asked softly. He didn't really understand why Hyuk-jae was still upset. Yoshida was disciplined, banned from the club; they were getting compensated for their impromptu night off; they were home, away from prying eyes and gossipy hosts. But Hyuk-jae still didn't seem comfortable, and Nagisa couldn't figure out why.

"Is there anything I can do?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 13, 2013 17:32:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 13, 2013 17:32:15 GMT -6

The radio story was just ending. Hyuk-jae had heard a few installments of it, about a soldier and his lover. It was terribly romantic, more romantic than Nagisa's comics. He sighed a little, shifting his weight so that he was leaning against Nagisa a little bit.

"Are you going to be okay?"

"Hm?" Hyuk-jae turned his head, looking at Nagisa with wide, confused eyes. "I'm fine," he said. Of course he was fine! Why wouldn't he be fine? Because of tonight, right? "No," he insisted again, "I'm fine." But his boyfriend kept stroking his hair, and for some reason, this time, he wasn't fooled.

"Is there anything I can do?"

The dark-haired young man laid his head in Nagisa's lap. "You're already doing it," he said. It was comforting, being in his own home (his own home!) with his boyfriend (boyfriend!!). The tea kettle whistled and he made a soft whining noise, not wanting to get up. After letting it go on for a minute or two Hyuk-jae pushed himself up with one arm, heading into the kitchen. He made a spare cup of tea for Nagisa, bringing them both back with him.

Curling up, he pulled a patchwork quilt off the back of the sofa and wrapped it around his bare shoulders. Hyuk-jae crossed his feet up under him and blew on the tea. "Did you like the radio show?" he asked, after a moment of silence stretched between them. "I've listened to some of it. It's very romantic, don't you think?" He knew Nagisa liked romances. Actually, he'd picked up a couple books at a secondhand shop to read through before gifting to his boyfriend — wanted to make sure they were, you know, the right sort of novel.

He didn't want to do anything else that evening. He wasn't really tired, either, but going out seemed impossible. Resolving to stay in, he asked Nagisa if he minded a quiet evening just reading and listening to the radio. Truth be told, Hyuk-jae had dreamed sometimes of finding someone to just spend quiet time with. He had a radio or two to tinker with, having bought them broken for a very low price. Fixing them up was fun to him, and selling them after would earn little money.

Pulling out the radios and his tools, Hyuk-jae also put on a shirt since he was in the closet. A soft red flannel, it was something he'd picked up with no intention to wear in front of Nagisa. The younger man likely would find it hideous, but it was comfortable. Tools went out onto the floor, followed by the radios. Hyuk-jae settled himself in with his tea, opening one of them up and having a look in the back. Glancing up, he offered a sweet smile to Nagisa.

"I have books," he said, "if you want."
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 13, 2013 17:33:49 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 13, 2013 22:17:24 GMT -6

"It was good!" Nagisa accepted his tea gratefully, blowing gently on the surface. "But it was so sad. I hope there is a happy ending! I like happy stories the best."

After putting on a red flannel shirt (flannel? why flannel? who on earth wore flannel? he never had) Hyuk-jae pulled out an old radio to tinker with; Nagisa watched with interest as he spread out his tools and began dismantling the piece.

"I have books," he said, "if you want."

Hyuk-jae's smile was the sweetest look Nagisa ever had directed at him. He never thought of himself as much of a reader, save his comic books, but in their absence maybe the unillustrated tales would have to do.

"Sure," he replied, and Hyuk-jae directed him to a shelf in the corner. There were a few manuals on fixing things, but mostly novels, detective and romance. Not one for mysteries, Nagisa slid a romance from the shelf, the name 'Tenoh' embossed on the spine; he settled back in the couch, content to just be in the same room as his boyfriend.

Boyfriend! He never thought he'd get one. Not because he felt insecure, or something, but it was just something he didn't think about. He never really had time for anyone before. He was often kind to strangers and acquaintances, but it wasn't often that he elbowed his way into their personal lives. Why he did so with Hyuk-jae, he had no idea. It had been spur of the moment — impulse. Was it fate? Or just chance? Nagisa wasn't sure he believed in the former, despite his romance comics. Whatever the case, he was glad something prompted him to do so.

Just then the soft music on the radio was interrpted by an announcer.

"Varrick Industries asks, are you READY for SOLSTICE? Don't get caught unprepared! Start shopping for Winter Solstice gifts NOW! For the next two months, all Varrick Industries products are thirty percent off! Remember, solstice begins in your heart — and your gift list!"

Oh, that's right, the winter holidays were coming up! "Hey, Hyuk-jae," Nagisa said. "Do you... do you want to come with me to Solstice celebrations at my parents' place? I go every year. Maybe... maybe we can tell them, about, you know, 'us', as well."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 13, 2013 22:46:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 13, 2013 22:46:03 GMT -6

As Nagisa curled up with one of the Tenoh novels, Hyuk-jae continued tinkering with the radio. The working model moved on to playing music, jazzy dance music, punctuated with advertisments. After about thirty minutes that gave way to a piano hour of soft, pleasant music. Hyuk-jae hummed along with songs he knew, doing this and that with the radio in his hands. His hair, still damp, fell into his face, shading his eyes.

"Varrick Industries asks, are you READY for SOLSTICE? Don't get caught unprepared! Start shopping for Winter Solstice gifts NOW! For the next two months, all Varrick Industries products are thirty percent off! Remember, solstice begins in your heart — and your gift list!"

Looking up at the sound of his name, Hyuk-jae made an "mmmph?" sort of noise. He was holding wires in his mouth, looking a bit like a catfish. To tell the truth, he hadn't really registered the advertisement at all! The music hovered on the edge of his awareness, but the ads flew right past him. He blinked at Nagisa.

"Do you... do you want to come with me to Solstice celebrations at my parents' place? I go every year."

He wanted to take him where? Hyuk-jae remembered celebrating solstice at home with his parents, as a child. Lots of candles. Maybe a duck for dinner. It was always an intimate, small holiday. They spent the fall festivals with aunts and uncles up until Hyuk-jae's teens. Was it like that with every family? If so, Nagisa was asking him to a very small and important holiday. It meant that he was, well. Part of the family.

"Maybe... maybe we can tell them, about, you know, 'us', as well."

Sitting very still, the Firebender stared at his boyfriend. "A-- seriously?" Wasn't he embarrassed? Putting his wires down, Hyuk-jae paid special attention to the inside of the radio. "Are you sure? Because, you know, you don't have to do that..." He swallowed. His boyfriend might take that response the wrong way. He didn't mean to say he didn't want to go, or that he didn't want to tell them. Far from it! "I mean. Yes, I'd love to go with you." Hyuk-jae blushed. "What do you do for the solstice in your family?"

Would he need to cook something? Buy presents? Learn songs, perhaps? And what would he wear? Nagisa was constantly complaining about his clothes. He didn't want to embarrass him. Self-conscious, he rubbed the shoulder of his soft red shirt.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 13, 2013 23:14:48 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 13, 2013 23:39:54 GMT -6

"Well, you said they already knew about me, right?" Nagisa shrugged, turning a page. "If they know, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I mean, I'm a little scared, but if they know and haven't said anything til now, they must have been waiting for me to say something."

He looked up, grinning. "Besides, mother said I should bring home a special someone."

"What do you do for the solstice in your family?"

A little excited, Nagisa got on the floor next to Hyuk-jae. "Lots of things!" he gushed. "It's a two day celebration, almost. A fancy dinner the night before, then tea and coffee and snacks. Then we open one present a piece. Then we go to sleep, and when we wake up we open the rest of the presents! Then while we're enjoying the presents, dad makes these ... apple things, slices apples into rings and then covers them in flour and deep fries them. You eat them with powdered sugar. And mother makes fruit salad, she doesn't like deep-fried things. Then we laze about all day, just enjoying each others company and our presents, and sit in front of the fire. We stay in pyjamas all day —- " Nagisa laughed. "Well, we'll have to get you some pyjamas for the daytime, I suppose. And then at night the neighbourhood has a potluck — mother usually makes something for all of us, but maybe you and I can make something too — and we sing celebration songs and light candles."

He leaned back against the couch, fidgeting happily. Solstice was his favourite time of year. "If we're lucky," he said, "it'll snow during solstice, and we can play in it." He nudge Hyuk-jae with his toe. "Hey, another thing just came to me. Why don't you celebrate the solar new year with us too? And the lunar new year?" Nagisa was excited just thinking about it. "And my birthday is in the third month of the solar year, too."

Suddenly, Nagisa checked himself. "Ah, maybe that's a bit overwhelming. Well, you don't have to answer about the other stuff right away." He scootched down so he was lying on the floor, then rolled around a little. "I'm so excited! With everything that's been happening I forgot about winter solstice. I mean, we have fall equinox coming up first — that's fun too! — but winter solstice is my favourite."

After a few moments, Nagisa sat back up again. "Hey... Hyuk-jae? Since — since your family don't get along, is there anything you've always wanted to do for solstice?" He had no idea if Hyuk-jae had any family traditions, but considering his family didn't even care if he lived in a broken down old apartment in a closet, he couldn't imagine that they were particularly close during the holidays.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 13, 2013 23:41:41 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 14, 2013 0:07:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 14, 2013 0:07:37 GMT -6

Well, he had him there. Hyuk-jae hadn't missed the looks Nagisa's parents were giving each other. They knew their son was interested in guys. No doubt about it. He smiled. "Okay," he said. "Then yes, I'll come. And we can tell them about us." And hopefully they would accept him, even though he probably wasn't good enough for their son.

Blinking, he listened as Nagisa rattled off a whole host of activities. It was much different than his family's celebration! "Oh," Hyuk-jae said, a bit taken aback. "That's — a lot of stuff, isn't it?" Rubbing the back of his head, he tried to envision spending a night like that with his parents. He couldn't eat apples covered in flour, anyway. He knew some of their neighbors had done neighborhood potlucks, growing up, but his parents never wanted him socializing in large groups. The way the fluffy-haired host was describing things it sounded like a huge party!

"... And my birthday is in the third month of the solar year, too."

"When?" This was the first he'd heard of it. "When's your birthday?" What should he get him? He should make a cake, right? It sounded like he had time to prepare, thank goodness. He'd have to come up with something amazing.

"Ah, maybe that's a bit overwhelming. Well, you don't have to answer about the other stuff right away."

He wanted to do all of it. "I'll do anything you want," Hyuk-jae said honestly. "I'd love to."

"... is there anything you've always wanted to do for solstice?"

Shrugging, the Firebender flopped down next to his boyfriend, putting his head back down in his lap. He liked it when Nagisa played with his hair, finding the touch soothing. "No," he said honestly. "We always just had a quiet dinner and lit candles and stuff. We couldn't really afford presents. I think when I was really little I got things, but —" not after a while. Just like his birthday, really. It was too expensive and they could never afford anything, thanks to him. Hyuk-jae lifted one shoulder in a half-shrug. "Not really after that."

Looking up at Nagisa's face, he smiled. "Don't worry about it. It's fine." He didn't need anything, anyway. He already had so much more than he did when they met! Couldn't Nagisa see that? This was probably the most well-off Hyuk-jae had ever been in his life. Thinking about this, he chewed the inside of his cheek a little. The only thing he didn't have now that he had always wanted was... friends.

"Nagisa?" he asked, after a moment. "Did you go to school and have friends?"
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 14, 2013 0:17:30 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 14, 2013 1:42:00 GMT -6

Couldn't afford presents! Well, he would just have to do something about that, now wouldn't he?

"Nagisa?" he asked, after a moment. "Did you go to school and have friends?"

Surprised at the change of subject, Nagisa shook his head. "No, not really." He looked down and fiddled with a button on his shirt. "I wanted to, though. The other kids in my neighbourhood did, and I sometimes played with them, but they were so dirty all the time I didn't like it." He laughed. "They always wanted to play in the mud, or something like that. Always coming by with grass stains on their pants, asking if I could play."

He reached up and brought his teacup down from the table to his lips. "My mother taught me at home. Said she wanted to make sure that I was properly equipped to do anything I wanted to in life. She's an accountant, you know. I learned math, reading and writing, how to play the piano — that was from dad — , history, even classical literature and art. Not that I was any good at art, mind you."

"Mostly though, I just played at home, by myself. Mother says I was really quiet. I never really thought about it like that, though, I was always thinking up stories for my dolls and toys, complete with dialogue. I guess I just never spoke it out loud." Nagisa laughed. "I remember when I was... maybe about seven or so, I had this big elaborate wedding story all set up. It was the culmination of the stories I had been thinking up for about a month. All my toys were in attendance, with my platypus-bear plushie as the wedding official. Midway through the vows — just before my dollie and her boyfriend said 'I do', of course, you know, very dramatic — my dollie's sister bursts into the 'temple' and objects. Announces dramatically she's having her sister's boyfriend's baby. My dollie 'slapped' her sister, and I threw her — the sister — across the room."

Nagisa giggled, covering his mouth with his hand. "Mother, she came running. She thought something happened! She runs into the living room from the kitchen and there I am, dead silent and with an unexpressive face, my toys all arranged into neat rows with an aisle down the middle, one dollie five paces away."

He laughed outright. "She never lets me live it down, any time I'm quiet she asks me if I'm planning another drama."

Tilting his head to the side, Nagisa looked down at his boyfriend. "Can I ask about you? I don't mean to pry, or anything..."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 14, 2013 2:41:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 14, 2013 2:33:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 14, 2013 2:33:23 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae was surprised to hear Nagisa say no. He was such a sunny person, he'd assumed that he must have grown up with lots of friends. "I'm a little shocked," he said, laughing. "I don't imagine you as a loner. You seem like you would have been a cute little big-eyed child." The shorter man explained how the other kids were dirty and Hyuk-jae laughed again. Of course!

The story about the dolls was amusing. Hyuk-jae smiled up at Nagisa. "Maybe you should've been a writer for radio drama," he said. "With your flair for the dramatic!" It was so like Nagisa to have even his toys dramatically deal with each other. "What a sordid plotline, though! Where did you learn about cheating?" Hilarious. Poor Nagisa's parents! He must have been such a handful.

"Can I ask about you? I don't mean to pry, or anything..."

Waving a hand, Hyuk-jae dismissed the concern. "I said you can ask me anything. I've already told you I didn't go to school — not allowed because of the fits. But no... I also didn't have any friends." He remembered watching kids play from the tenement window. "My parents didn't like me being outside or messing with other kids because they thought it was dangerous." He closed his eyes.

"A few times when I tried to play with the other kids, you know... bad stuff always happened. I had a lot of big fits before we saw the healer who made me eat differently. A lot." They were scary, and what was worse was that they scared other people, too. "I quit trying after a while. I just — people always stared at me." Hyuk-jae rolled his shoulder, the joint clicking a little. He couldn't blame other people for staring, of course. The jerking seizures that made him knock things over or drop things were embarrasing enough, but a full-body seizure was terrifying. He had been told he made some sort of shrieking cry before it happened.

Maybe if he saw it and didn't know better, he'd think someone was possessed, too. It made sense. Opening orange eyes again, Hyuk-jae glanced up at his boyfriend. "You'll see it happen some time," he said. Spirits, what if it happened at his parents' house? That would be the worst thing ever. Hyuk-jae sighed a little. Well, they'd just have to... deal with it.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 14, 2013 3:05:29 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 14, 2013 11:08:50 GMT -6

Nagisa was quiet for a while. He didn't mind not having friends so much, but that was his choice; Hyuk-jae, it seemed, hadn't had one. He genuinely could not imagine or even comprehend what it must be like, to have parents so ashamed of you, fearful of you. It wasn't fair. It's not like Hyuk-jae made himself have fits on purpose. He stroked his boyfriend's hair gently. He might not know a lot about Hyuk-jae's innermost thoughts, but Nagisa was absolutely certain that if a cure were made to get rid of the fits all together, Hyuk-jae would be at it like Nagisa on candy floss.

"You'll see it happen some time."

Hyuk-jae's tone made it sound like a guarantee. "So, no matter how careful you are, it'll happen eventually?" Nagias paused for a moment to let it sink in. "Will it be worse than the one you had while I was at work?"

He had to talk to Jainukul. The madame was the only other person he knew who had any experience with fits, and since Hyuk-jae was the one having the fits Nagisa assumed that he wouldn't be able to tell him what to do during one. Since Jainukul's cousin was the one who experienced fits, then she must have something that could help him with Hyuk-jae.

After a moment, Nagisa looked down. "I won't do anything you don't want me to do," he said softly, "but ... can we tell my parents? Maybe not right away, but I know they wouldn't think poorly of it! I mean, they raised me, after all, and I don't think you're a bad person, or weird. I mean, wouldn't it be better for them to know too, just in case something happens and we're there? They can help, maybe..."

Trailing off, Nagisa bit his lip. He really didn't know how to approach the subject. Obviously he couldn't just barge in and insist that Hyuk-jae do things his way, not with this. Nagisa hadn't the first clue what it was like to live with a condition like this, to live with people being afraid of you for what you might do and be helpless to stop.

"It's up to you," he said, then felt stupid for saying so. Of course it was up to Hyuk-jae! "I mean, I won't be upset if you decide not to. I won't say anything if you don't want me to."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 14, 2013 22:29:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 14, 2013 22:29:55 GMT -6

Nagisa's silence was a a little unnerving. Hyuk-jae shifted a little, but was appeased when his boyfriend stroked his hair. The young man's fingers were gentle in his hair, movement rhythmic and soft. He quieted, relaxing into Nagisa's lap. It was so soothing, being in his apartment. They'd spent so much time elsewhere, and Hyuk-jae was terribly fond of the faintly lavender-scented little place he called home. Sweet sky-blue walls and colorful blankets and all, of course, it was very different from Nagisa's place.

"So, no matter how careful you are, it'll happen eventually?"

"Yes," said Hyuk-jae. It was true, and there was no point in denying it. The seizures would never stop. There was no cure, no end in sight. This was his life, forever. And if Nagisa was with him, it was part of his life, too. Not wishing to see the look on his boyfriend's face, Hyuk-jae closed his eyes again. He had to be patient with Nagisa. He knew that. Drilling it into him, his parents had made sure he was aware that people didn't understand. Hyuk-jae couldn't expect them to. Be patient, explain. He knew that.

"Will it be worse than the one you had while I was at work?"

"I don't know," he said honestly. "I don't know what that one was like. Do you?" He'd hit his head, but it was probably just a normal fit. Bleeding everywhere didn't really tell him anything, and since no one had witnessed it, he couldn't tell 'how bad' it was. Hyuk-jae wasn't even sure he knew what kind of scale 'bad' would be on! How would he measure? More convulsions? Longer recovery time? The last one had had a relatively short comeback time, in his experience. Usually he felt off for days longer than he had then.

" ... can we tell my parents?"

"What?!" His eyes flew open. "N--no!"

"Maybe not right away, but I know they wouldn't think poorly of it! I mean, they raised me, after all, and I don't think you're a bad person, or weird. I mean, wouldn't it be better for them to know too, just in case something happens and we're there? They can help, maybe..."

They could help? Not really. At best they could be nice to him, maybe allow Nagisa a place to vent. Otherwise there wasn't much help to be had! Hyuk-jae had no illusions about that fact. Nagisa's parents were nice enough, but he'd only met them the once. It was a lot to put on people, especially when they didn't have to see him much. What would be the point of telling them?

"I won't say anything if you don't want me to."

"Please don't, Nagisa," said the Firebender. There was only one reason to tell them: to make Nagisa feel better. "Or — does it bother you, that they don't know? Because it doesn't bother me."
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 15, 2013 2:14:23 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2013 14:10:36 GMT -6

Nagisa shook his head. "No it doesn't bother me that they don't know." He was a little confused. Why would that bother him. "I was thinking more practically, if you had a fit at their house or something, they can help with maybe making sure you don't hurt yourself or something, or keeping an eye out while you're there, like how Jainukul keeps an eye out for you at work, you know?"

He smiled down at Hyuk-jae, still playing with his hair. "But it's okay! If you don't want to, you don't have to. I'm not going to tell you what to do about this."

What a stupid question, he thought to himself. Of course Hyuk-jae wouldn't want to tell his parents. He hadn't even wanted to tell him. Or Jainukul. It was a hand Nagisa forced in his thoughtlessness. Feeling about an inch tall, he looked up at the ceiling.

"Hey, Hyuk-jae," he said, a little subdued. "I ... I want to apologise. For being thoughtless, when we first met. And being really pushy about — well, about everything." Reddening, Nagisa remembered how he had turned it all around on Hyuk-jae, because he had been so wrapped up in his own sense of what should and should not be that he didn't even give a thought to Hyuk-jae's feelings. "I..." he started, then stopped. What could he say? He hadn't cared about Hyuk-jae like this back then, he just saw someone that he thought needed help and forced it on them, whether or not it was what they wanted. Luckily it had turned out more than all right, but it made him retroactively uncomfortable.

He leaned down and kissed Hyuk-jae softly on the lips. "I'm really sorry, okay? I ... I was stupid. I'll do my best not to do it anymore."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2013 20:46:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2013 20:46:38 GMT -6

"I don't need looking after," Hyuk-jae said, a little offended. Did Nagisa think he was glass? He had handled the seizures for a long time now. All that needed doing was making sure he didn't hit anything too hard and getting him into bed after. Usually he managed it okay. Well, except last time. But mostly? It was fine. "I —"

Nagisa interrupted him, looking bashful. He apologized for his personality, which Hyuk-jae found ridiculous. If he truly hadn't wanted to go along with Nagisa's actions, he wouldn't have. It had all worked out well in the end, hadn't it?

"I'm really sorry, okay? I ... I was stupid. I'll do my best not to do it anymore."

Hyuk-jae laughed. "You? Butt out of my affairs? As if that would ever happen." Sitting up, he looked closely at Nagisa's face. "Where's this coming from? I'm not upset with you." He loved how very peculiar Nagisa was, the way that he'd sort of charged into his life. "C'mon." Getting up, he moved the sofa and pulled down the Murphy bed. It seemed his boyfriend was in a strange mood. The only think the Firebender knew to do with it was go to bed.

Curling up with Nagisa in the sheets, Hyuk-jae seemed happy enough to stroke soft fingers over his shoulder, listening to the radio play soft music. The night was quiet enough, though once they fell asleep Hyuk-jae did have a jerking seizure. It didn't wake him up, but his elbow jabbed Nagisa in the side at least once.

Upon waking he found that he felt off-balance, rubbing at his head and looking confused. He must've had a fit in his sleep — it called for coffee and a cold cloth to face. They both had to work that night, after all. Praying for it to be a normal night and not a theme, Hyuk-jae rifled in his closet.

"What do you want me to wear?" he asked over his shoulder.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2013 21:30:39 GMT -6

"Okay." Nagisa smiled at Hyuk-jae. It was just hard to explain that he felt bad for assuming a lot of stuff and not really thinking about what the other person might want. He wanted to work really hard to preserve what he had with Hyuk-jae, and didn't want to mess it up by doing or saying something that would upset him. Not that he planned on it, but he felt completely wrong-footed regarding Hyuk-jae's condition. It was easy to think, well, if I were him, but the point was that he wasn't. He couldn't even comprehend some of the things that happened to Hyuk-jae because of his fits — like his parents not loving him! — so there was just no way to put himself in his boyfriend's shoes.

Hyuk-jae seemed not to mind, though, so Nagisa decided not to push it further. After all, if he was really serious about doing things that made Hyuk-jae happy, pushing a subject he didn't think was a problem would be counter productive.

Changing into a spare pair of nightclothes he kept at Hyuk-jae's, Nagisa climbed into the murphy bed when Hyuk-jae pulled it down, looking at it warily. He'd slept on it a few times before, but it was still a concern of his that the murphy bed would snap up while they slept. Hyuk-jae had assured him that wasn't how the bed worked, but Nagisa wasn't wholly convinced.

The night passed mostly without incident. The murphy bed didn't close on them, but Nagisa was snapped out of sleep by a sudden pain in his side. Gasping, he rolled over and clutched at his ribs, squeezing his eyes shut against the pain. After a few moments, it subsided. He rolled back over and glanced at Hyuk-jae — the only possible culprit — but found him to be sleeping. He settled back into bed, wincing a little and grateful that whatever had just happened hadn't happened to his face.

Upon waking up to get ready for their shift, Nagisa was momentarily disoriented. The shape and feel of the room was unfamiliar, and it took him a few moments to realise he was at Hyuk-jae's place. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he noticed that his boyfriend was already rifling through the closet.

"I'm just going to wear what I was wearing yesterday before the theme was announced," he said, gesturing to the clothes he'd laid neatly on top of his 'schoolbag'. There was a button up shirt with a mini-checkered pattern, a grey woollen waistcoat, a grey plaid cravat with salmon-hued accents, a pair of darker grey tweed trousers, and a salmon-hued blazer. "Maybe wear something with greens in it."

After a quick pre-work meal, Nagisa and Hyuk-jae headed for the club. It was not a themed night; Nagisa smiled at Hyuk-jae's obvious relief.

Taped to their lockers, along with the night's client list, were envelopes containing what they would've earned the night before had they actually taken their clients. There were identical notes for both of them slipped in between the bills, written in Madame Jainukul's tight script.

Here are your earnings from last night. The president of the company paid for it himself, and says he will discipline Yoshida at work for violating company decorum policy. Thought you'd like to know.

Inside was about eight hundred yuans. Naigsa smiled, already planning how to spend his money after paying off rent and other bills.

He was so preoccupied with doing so that he forgot to check the client list.

In the hosting hall, Nagisa swung his legs happily as he waited for their first client, munching on sesame seed bars, holding Hyuk-jae's hand contendedly.

He almost choked on his snack as Nima walked in — or barged in, by her gait — followed by the quiet Soon Hee. Luckily the coughing fit disguised his look of abject horror at seeing Nima, who instantly pushed her way between him and Hyuk-jae to rub his back.

"Now, now," she said bossily. "How many times have I told you to eat your snacks slowly, Shouta?" The plump woman shot Hyuk-jae an accusing look. "You should take better care of him."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 15, 2013 21:33:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2013 21:55:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2013 21:55:35 GMT -6

"All right." Hyuk-jae put on a white collared shirt, striped tie, and a kelly green sweater. He'd taken Nagisa's advice and picked up a few more pieces for his closet. Charcoal grey trousers and his usual black boots finished him off, and he put his hat on due to the weather. After a quick breakfast of fish and rice (for Nagisa) and vegetables, they headed out. Hyuk-jae had yet to spend money on a coat.

His relief upon entering the Club to find it a normal night was palpable. As he tucked his hat away in his locker, Hyuk-jae scanned his client list and took stock of the note from Jainukul. Nothing about needing to see him privately, he noticed. That was a relief. Opening the envelope, he reached in and found a much fatter stack of notes than he'd expected.

"O — oh my god," Hyuk-jae said, staring at the money in the envelope. Glancing at his boyfriend, he noted that Nagisa didn't seem fazed. Was this normal? They did earn quite a bit, to be truthful — their clients enjoyed the two of them together, and paid well. The Firebender noticed a few of Lee's friends on his list as well. Did this mean that some of his fellow gangsters were going to be his patrons?

It could be that they just wanted to say hi, but was a nice gesture. Following Nagisa into the main room, Hyuk-jae sat down with a cup of plain green tea and let the shorter man hold his hand. A couple of their co-workers remarked on his clothing choice, happy to see a bit more color. This happy, relaxed atmosphere was ruined almost instantly upon the arrival of Nima and Soon Hee.

Mostly Nima. Soon Hee was a very nice lady, and Hyuk-jae liked her.

He hadn't thought they were on his list, but here they were. Hyuk-jae poured a cup of tea for the coughing Nagisa, feeling confused. His boyfriend seemed even more surprised than he was to see the large woman. "Here," he said softly, "drink something."

"You should take better care of him."

Raising a dark brow, Hyuk-jae fixed her with a pitying look. He should take better care of Nagisa? Please! He already shopped and cooked and cleaned for him! This woman didn't know the first thing about their life together. It was clear that Nima thought of what went on in the Host Club as reality, not acting. Letting the large woman push her way in between them, Hyuk-jae smiled at Soon Hee.

"You look lovely tonight," he said. "Tea?"
She sat next to him. Hyuk-jae complimented her new purple dress and poured tea for her, asking about her day. He'd grown quite fond of Soon Hee, actually. She told him about her new kitten and he laughed, delighted. "I'm so jealous!" he exclaimed. "I've always wanted a pet. Does it sleep with you?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2013 22:23:58 GMT -6

"Eunhyuk takes care of me fine," Nagisa said loudly. Really, the nerve! What was her problem with Hyuk-jae anyway? It's not like they did the angsty rival-romance trope for their act. He never really liked Nima — sure, she spoiled him and he was quite fond of being spoiled — but lately she had just been more and more aggressive about her dislike for Hyuk-jae.

Almost instantly, Hyuk-jae and Soon Hee fell into an easy conversation. Nagisa was almost jealous of Hyuk-jae having a reasonable client, but that feeling was far outweighed by the realisation that Nima was pulling him into a tight hug.

"You're not wearing the clothes I got for you again!" she complained. Nagisa struggled to pull back a little, having difficulty breathing. "I don't have time to change if you're my first appointment of the night!" he managed to gasp out. Thankfully, Nima seemed to realise he was turning blue around the edges and loosed her grip. Breathing deeply, Nagisa reached over to serve her snacks; Nima took three at a time, including the last black sesame seed bar — Nagisa's favourite kind. He pouted, but Nima didn't seem to notice.

"Soon Hee," she said, clutching the bars in her many-ringed fingers and waving them at her friend, "I don't know what you see in that young man over there. Where's your loyalty to Shouta?"

Soon Hee looked embarrassed.

"It's okay, Nima," Nagisa said quickly, tugging on her shirt. He was going to regret this, but the last thing he needed was for Nima to bully her sweet friend on top of her obvious distaste of Hyuk-jae. "That means I can have you all to myself!"

Nima brightened visibly, turning her attention instead to him. "And that makes you happy, does it?" She affectionately, she pinched his cheek. Hard. Nagisa tried not to meet Hyuk-jae's eyes. "Here," she said, holding out a sesame bar (not the black one, he noticed) out for him to eat. Nagisa reached for it, but she jerked it away then held it out again. Stifling a sigh, Nagisa opened his mouth and took a bite with the food still in her hand.
Nima ruffled his hair, smiling.

"So," she said, not looking at Hyuk-jae, instead petting Nagisa's hair. "I saw you two walking out of here together on my way home from work last night. Do you live together?"

What? Was she spying on them? Nagisa gaped at her, unsure of what to say.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2013 22:38:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2013 22:38:43 GMT -6

"I really do," Hyuk-jae said to Soon Hee, leaning in as if their conversation was confidential. "I'm a great cook, you know. Simple stuff, but he likes it fine. Do you cook?"
She laughed. Their relationship was truly more friends than anything else. Soon Hee talked easily with him about her mother's ox bone soup recipe, and he nodded and added something his own family's variations. She'd really warmed to him over the months.

Next to them, Nima complained of Nagisa not wearing the clothing she'd purchased. It didn't take long for her displeasure to turn on Hyuk-jae, as usual. "I don't know what you see in that young man over there. Where's your loyalty to Shouta?"
Soon Hee looked embarrassed, flushing slightly.
Nagisa covered quickly, and Hyuk-jae gave Nima's friend a soft pat to the hand. "It's fine," he said. "He doesn't mind, really."
The young man in question was currently being basically forced to eat out of Nima's hand. Thankful for the millionth time that he was not playing a childlike role, Hyuk-jae procured some wine for Soon Hee.

She had just begun telling him about her raise and her father falling ill when Nima's loud voice cut into their conversation. He might've ignored her if it weren't for the comment.

"I saw you two walking out of here together on my way home from work last night. Do you live together?"

Nagisa stared at the woman, mouth open. Hyuk-jae glanced at Soon Hee before speaking. "And where is your office, again?" Hyuk-jae's apartment was absolutely not in the nicest part of town. It wasn't even really near any office buildings. For her to have seen them, she had to have either been following them from the Club or simply referring to see them leave the Club together.

He had a nasty suspicion that was the former. "Sorry, I forget little details, sometimes." Hyuk-jae flushed a little.
Soon Hee smiled at him a little. She was beginning to realize that he wasn't quite right, somehow. It didn't bother her, but it was interesting.
"Surely you fine ladies don't live near __________ street, do you?" Hyuk-jae hadn't rented an apartment in the nicest neighborhood. Not as bad as his old one, but not great. Not by a long shot.
Shaking her head, Soon Hee told them the address of their work. It wasn't really close to the Club or to Hyuk-jae's apartment.

"Anyway," he continued, "I don't think it matters a great deal if we live together, do you? Lots of young people are doing it these days!" Citing the economy was always a safe choice. Plenty of their clients could talk for hours about the economy.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2013 23:04:20 GMT -6

Nagisa saw Hyuk-jae's gaze sharpen as he addressed Nima's comment. He'd picked up on something, Nagisa was sure of it.

But what was it?

Grateful for the brief reprieve to recover from his shock, Nagisa took a long sip of tea.

"Surely you fine ladies don't live near __________ street, do you?"
Shaking her head, Soon Hee told them the address of their work. It wasn't really close to the Club or to Hyuk-jae's apartment.
"Anyway," he continued, "I don't think it matters a great deal if we live together, do you? Lots of young people are doing it these days!"

Nima looked less than happy with that answer, tutting and crossing her arms over her ample chest. Nagisa tilted his head close and rested it on her shoulder. "Nima~~~~~a," he said childishly. "It doesn't matter, right? That is that, this is this." It was a nonsensical thing to say, but somehow it satisfied the large woman.

"Yes," she murmured, looking off to the distance. "This is this."

A knot twisted in Nagisa's stomach.

Suddenly, Nima's attention turned back to him. "What are you doing for solstice?" she asked, leaning in in what Nagisa could only assume was what she thought was an intimate manner.

"Ah —" he quickly thought of something else to say; he had no desire to talk to Nima about his parents. "Nothing much, I'm afraid," he said, hoping to end the conversation. "I don't much like the winter solstice."

Wrong answer. Nima gasped and cradled his face in both hands. "Oh no," she cried, sounding quite agitated. "Not liking solstice? With all the presents and sweets? That's terrible! Why don't you come over to my place for solstice? I'm throwing together a big party."

Nagisa could've kicked himself. "Oh, ah — well, I'm not sure if I'm working or not that night — "
"Working? On solstice?"
"Possibly! We don't really know our schedule until a few days before."

Nima sat back in her seat, looking disappointed.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 16, 2013 17:59:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 16, 2013 17:59:15 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae felt like growling at the woman. When she said 'this is this', what did she mean? Nothing good, he could only assume. The woman was overbearing, large and loud. He couldn't see how such a nice lady as Soon Hee could stand her friendship. More than once he'd wondered if Soon Hee could afford to come alone. How much nicer it would be.

"What are you doing for solstice?"

Uh-oh.

Instantly, Nagisa was working hard trying to find a way out of the situation. First he said he didn't like solstice, which was hilarious. Nima didn't buy it either, and Hyuk-jae hid a laugh in his hand. Soon Hee looked at him quizzically and he shook his head.

"Not liking solstice? With all the presents and sweets? That's terrible! Why don't you come over to my place for solstice? I'm throwing together a big party."

His boyfriend appeared dismayed. Trying to say they might be working, he stumbled over his words. Hyuk-jae felt sorry for him. How awful, to put up with Nima and feel he couldn't say anything to her. It seemed, too, with more time passing that Nima was more and more possessive of Nagisa. She realized she was only one of many clients, didn't she? Smiling at Soon Hee, he interrupted Nagisa and Nima as he poured more tea.

"We'll be very busy on the Solstice, love," Hyuk-jae said. "Remember?" Glancing at Nagisa, he held out a hand for his teacup. "Here." Nima's cup looked a little low, too. Hyuk-jae offered the large woman more tea, too, despite his misgivings. Either way she'd be displeased, of course.