The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

FANS HATE THE MOVIE

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 11:31:23 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
SPOILERS

So fans have decided that M. Night Shamafail's version of The Last Airbender completely and utterly blows. Why? Just watch:

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2010 11:50:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2010 11:50:28 GMT -6

Well colour me unsurprised.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 12:33:11 GMT -6

completely. I'm still going to watch it, but my expectations are at an all time low — and they were almost nonexistent to begin with.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 1, 2010 13:34:12 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Okay, I just got back from seeing it. While the critisism is spot on, I don't think the movie as a whole was all that bad. It was just... off, if that makes any sense.

The whole name thing bugged the hell out of me, and the entire beginning of the movie pissed me off. Noah Ringer and Dev Patel did a very good job, both good choices. Katara was okay, but Sokka and Iroh were off. They didn't get the humoric aspects of their characters. Momo is in the movie, people, but the name is never said.

SPOILERSSPOILERS

Yes, the no Kyoshi Warriors fact bugged me. No Jun, not so much, but definetely no Suki annoyed me. Most of the other plot points were there, though.

</end spoiler>

All in all, if you want to go and enjoy the movie... try and forget the show as much as possible. -_- It's probably good that you're not expecting anything, Kami, lol.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 14:01:59 GMT -6

well at least i can't be disappointed, since i have zero expectation. right? right?! >_>;;
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 1, 2010 14:03:04 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Lol, right, exactly. That's what I told Kanea. "If you do go see, try and forget the show completely."
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 14:11:08 GMT -6

well it's at 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes ._. that's one of the lowest ratings i've ever seen them give.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2010 15:27:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2010 15:27:14 GMT -6

Karena's right about the criticism, it is accurate, this coming from someone who knows very little about criticizing moving. They go from one place to the other without hesitation and you are literally left wondering who this new character is. It did have its good moments, few, Aang and Gyatso had funny, genuine scenes together. But overall it was crappy, in my opinion, I only enjoyed my time there because I treated like a parody and the section I was in was filled with Avatards who knew when to crack a wise-ass comment and make the movie unbelievably hilarious.

The part that hurt the most was the bending. The first instances of bending actually make it out to be cool. The bending intro was the like the shows bending intro and when Katara was first bending it looked believable, and then I don't know what happened.

<spoilers>

There is a scene where it literally takes five men to throw a small pebble! At that point your better off just chucking it, honestly this had me gasping for breath. The movie is worth for the lulz factor alone.[end spoilers]

That being said, I wasn't ever bored watching it, I guess the Avatar premise alone was good enough for me to stay awake. I suggest that if you are going to see it, take some friends and just MST 3k it. :)
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 1, 2010 15:27:41 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 15:31:22 GMT -6

I just saw a game spin off announce proudly, "YOU GET TO PLAY AS AHNG".

I just raged. >[
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2010 15:56:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2010 15:56:05 GMT -6

Yeah, the names take some time to get used to, but that is really the least of the problems with the film. Its a bad movie in my opinion, but not as bad as the tomato meter would have you guess.

Post by Gia on Jul 1, 2010 18:05:19 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Like I said, if you're going to go see just forget you ever saw the show. As for the bending, I thought Air & Fire were okay, but Earth and Water were off.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 1, 2010 18:08:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2010 19:28:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2010 19:28:05 GMT -6

I thought they were all off, except for firebending. In the show, bending is a one move one action sort of deal, here it was way too stylized, do this dance and then [insert element] will move. Despite the fact that firebending was modified, it was the greatest adherent to that simple bending tenant, they punched and the fire moved, everybody else had to pull off a whole dance number to move their respective elements.

I had hoped that given the fact that before they animate a battle, they act out the motions to use as guidelines that they would at least get that right, I mean all they had to do was choreograph it like the show, but just not animate it. They didn't and hilarity ensued, at least.
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2010 19:48:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2010 19:48:21 GMT -6

Momo's name gets mentioned once, when they're in the NWT spirit oasis.

tha tmovie was pretty craptasic though. Shamalamadingdong failed it nicely.

but that's alright. life goes on. but no sexyfine haru, no sideburns on Zhao, and no Bumi was a letdown. 7% makes sense.

~Tenoko~
saiki
Jul 1, 2010 20:50:57 GMT -6

Post by saiki on Jul 1, 2010 20:50:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I actually just came back from watching it......GRRRR

I agree with Karena, I didn't think it made me want to tear my eyes out, but it was most definitely off. The name stuff made me cringe in my seat the entire time and yea the beginning was kind of annoying.

If bending actually took that long benders would be killed....easily haha =)

This user is a guest
yuna
Jul 1, 2010 21:01:19 GMT -6

Post by yuna on Jul 1, 2010 21:01:19 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I have to disagree Shio. I absolutely HATED the firebending in that movie. I watched it today, and I literally wish I hadn't. It wasn't awful, but geeze ....

Spoiler:

First off, the firebenders could only bend when they had sources of fire around them..... WHAT?!?!?! :o In the show the benders created their own fire, using their breath, the sun, inner energy (chi).... but I mean come on. There was very little punching moves and almost all of the fire bent looked like long water whips

Second, ... the dragon spirit?

Third, waterbending and airbending are too dance like, I agree.

Fourth, when did Aang become the hopeful inspirational character and Katara just goes along... huh?
This user is a guest
Last edit by yuna: Jul 1, 2010 21:01:56 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 1, 2010 22:38:02 GMT -6

From what I've seen of all the bending, I thought Fire and Water were most off, speaking as someone VERY familiar with Tai Chi and Northern Shaolin. "Lots of Punching" does not equate firebending.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 2, 2010 10:48:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 2, 2010 10:48:57 GMT -6

OMG, not the Dragon spirit. It was the lion turtle in my opinion, they gave it a cool voice, but me being crap at hearing stylized voices I couldn't understand much of what he said, like the lion turtle. Not to mention the fact that they completely changed what the Avatar was, including the Avatar state.

I will say that I like the Fire Lord's voice.

@ Tenoko-THEY SAID MOMO'S NAME?! I thought he went nameless. I really felt sorry for the newcomers because I just kept imagining being in their shoes and being completely lost because of how things were left unsaid or were being said too often.

@ Saiki- in my section there were a ton of Avatards, and the first time they heard the new name pronunciations all you could hear was a wave of "what?" and the shows pronunciation of their names.

I also have to add, that the movie really did show just how many pretty dumb things happen in cartoon. I guess with the right timing anything can be made acceptable.

I liked Yue here more than the cartoon counterpart, then again I never cared for her at all.

@ Toph- I still take it that you haven't seen the actual movie. Just wait until you do, the best waterbending is in the trailer when Aang is fighting in the Northern siege.

<spoiler>

They killed all Aang related shipping. That part had me smiling, although Zutara is still a viable option there.

</spoiler>
Anonymous
Jul 2, 2010 10:52:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 2, 2010 10:52:32 GMT -6

Well, as I refuse to give my money to this film, I'll have to let you guys know how I feel about it after I can rent it. :D
Last edit: Jul 2, 2010 14:27:18 GMT -6
kuroda
Jul 2, 2010 11:13:49 GMT -6

Post by kuroda on Jul 2, 2010 11:13:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm not too sue what to say about the movie... I watched it last night. and towards the end me and a friend had a contest going where we said "botched" every time they messed something up (we did it quietly)

ok, I'ma just go down a quick list of things that made me shudder.

1. Katara hitting the orb where Aang was trapped... it looked sooooo lame.

2. The obvious omission of the Kyoshi Warriors, made even more obvious when they pointed out Kyoshi's statue

3. They confined the earth benders to a quarry... What sense does that make?! The off shore rig coal fight was one of Avatar's really good moments in the show.

4. I wish that they would have had Roku and not just his dragon

5. Aang's past lives were all for killing if absolutely necessary. They never said that he shouldn't hurt people... that was a virtue that Aang learned from the Monastery.

6. Sokka's acting could have been much better... He had a decent joke occasionally, but the actor could never pull them off :(

KK, I'm done raging for now. There were more things that could have made the list, but I'm too lazy to list.
This user is a guest
saiki
Jul 2, 2010 12:45:12 GMT -6

Post by saiki on Jul 2, 2010 12:45:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Haha Shio if I were you I would have died....it was already hard enough listening to the actors say it, if I had to listen to idiot movie-goers as well I'm not sure I would have made it out of the theatre alive... =P
This user is a guest