The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Ballad of a Lonely Man [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Nov 15, 2013 1:42:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2013 1:42:35 GMT -6

Startled, the Firebender jumped a little as Nagisa practically yelled at him about not liking girls. He flushed, looking up, mouth slightly open with the shock of it. Well — that was unexpected. "Oh," was all he managed to say. "Well..." Hyuk-jae cleared his throat and set his chopsticks down, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry." He shifted in his chair.

"If you... want, I mean —" sucking in air between his teeth, the taller man paused for a second. "I know where to buy those comics," he said after a pause. "I mean I know a guy. The store's not in a great part of town? But they have, you know. Those comics." The ones with explicit drawings of men in them, he meant. Gods! He should've bought Nagisa one of those!

As his friend explained that he'd been embarrassed, Hyuk-jae felt a stab of guilt. He hadn't meant to embarrass him! He hadn't even considered that it might not be a good idea to give it to him at work. After all, weren't they supposed to be 'boyfriends'? It had seemed like the perfect time. "I'm sorry," he said. "But — silly? Really? You don't think it looks... you know, sexy? I'm sure there's gotta be sex in there. Right?" Wasn't that the point of a romance novel? "I wasn't laughing with Yoshida!"

That came out more defensive than planned. Making an aggravated hissing sound, Hyuk-jae ate some of his vegetables, snapping his teeth closed. He swallowed roughly. "Sorry. He just — he's so —" Sleazy. Hands-y? The man made Hyuk-jae uncomfortable. "He's just always touching me," the young man finally said, tugging at a lock of thick black hair. He decided not to mention the after-hours offer from the businessman. "A--anyway, there's this shop and it's owned by this guy I know and they carry all kinds of stuff aimed at, you know. People who like... people of the same gender." He shifted uncomfortably, focusing on his food for a moment.

A coughing fit took him by surprise. He'd had a scratchy throat that day. Taking a drink of water, Hyuk-jae shook his head. "I think I'm comin' down with something," he said. Finishing dinner, the young man took his dish off to wash it and stole a glance through the pages of the book. He definitely wanted to read it.

It took about three days for the cold to really hit him. Hyuk-jae woke up freezing one afternoon, cheeks flushed and eyes glassy. He just couldn't get warm, despite all the blankets! Rubbing at his aching head, he looked at the clock. Noon? Noon-thirty? Hyuk-jae groaned. His head felt like it was stuffed with wool. Maybe a shower?

Rolling out of the bed, he winced when his feet hit the floor. It was freezing! Wasn't it summer? Muttering something about climate change, the young man took himself to the shower...
... where he promptly became very dizzy. As he got out he grabbed onto the wall for a second, breathing hard. What was the matter with him?

Wandering into the bedroom, he pulled on the first pair of slacks he could find. Tea. Tea would help. But first — maybe he'd just lean against the wall for a second...
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 15, 2013 1:45:22 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2013 4:27:30 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
"You know where to get some?" Nagisa's eyes lit up as he leaned excitedly over his food. "Really and truly? Will you take me there?" He was back to his old self, now that the misunderstanding had (mostly) been cleared up. Even when Hyuk-jae sounded nasty over Yoshida. Nagisa waved his free hand as he resumed eating. "Yeah, Yoshida is gross; I only put up with him because Nakamura tips extra if he gets too clingy. You may have noticed we make a little more than our average when they come around." Nagisa barked a laugh. "And Yoshida is cheap. I've never seen him actually pay for any quality foods we serve, it's always Nakamura footing the bill. I don't even know why those two are friends."

Hyuk-jae's coughing fit alarmed Nagisa. "Coming down with something?" he echoed, taking a closer look at his friend. Now that he mentioned it, Hyuk-jae looked a little paler than normal. Nagisa's first thought was Oh gosh, I hope I don't get sick!, which was immediately followed by remorse and self-chastising. How could he think such a thing when his dear friend was the one suffering?

"Maybe we should go to bed early," the younger man suggested, picking up his plate and heading for the sink.

But it wasn't until three days later that Nagisa thought of Hyuk-jae's cold again. He had a weird dream that night where he was running through some boggy, swampy area, searching for a funny-looking green man ... creature with pointed ears and balding white hair. Oh, there he was, sitting on a log! Nagisa ran in what felt like slow motion, put a hand on the man's shoulder and —

— promptly woke up. Nagisa stared up at the ceiling, feeling disoriented and sweaty. The sheets were a tangled, damp mess around him, and no Hyuk-jae. He could hear the showering going in the bathroom, so he waited, somewhat impatiently, for the shower to end. Not that the sound of running water was helping his situation any.

The water stopped and Hyuk-jae finally got out of the bathroom. Wordlessly Nagisa lept out of bed and sped past him, slamming the door.

A few moments later, properly relived and hands washed, he exited the bathroom only to find Hyuk-jae leaning up against the wall. "Hyuk-jae?" What a weird spot to take a nap. "Are you okay?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 15, 2013 4:37:36 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 15, 2013 4:57:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2013 4:57:56 GMT -6

Blinking at his friend, Hyuk-jae laughed. "Oh, yeah! I'm fine. I just got dizzy for a second." He pushed away from the wall. "I'm just going to make some tea or something." Reaching out, he ruffled Nagisa's hair in a distinctly affectionate manner. The dark-haired man took himself down stairs, putting the kettle on and, for once, lighting the stove with his Firebending.

Leaning on the counter, Hyuk-jae laid his palms down on the stone top, right shoulder cocked a little higher than left. The angle from hips to shoulders was pronounced when he stood that way, exaggerating his thin frame. As the water boiled he took down tea from the cabinet, dropping some into a mug. God, but he was achey! As soon as he had water in with the leaves he went back upstairs, headed for the bedroom. That wool-stuffed feeling remained.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Hyuk-jae coughed deeply. It had to be a summer cold, right? At the thought, he craved chicken soup and sour vegetables. Feeling suddenly very sad and quite lonely, the Firebender shoved his trousers back off and into a pile on the floor, snuggling in under the covers again as quickly as possible. He tucked the blankets up to his chest, gripping the tea with both hands. That glassy look to his eyes hadn't left, and his cheeks were flushed with fever.

As soon as the tea was gone, Hyuk-jae curled up next to Nagisa, pressing close to his side. He wrapped both arms around the younger man's waist, falling asleep quickly. He slept fitfully, tossing about in effort to be comfortable. Odd, restless dreams tugged at his mind as his body switched from hot to cold and back. About an hour and a half passed this way before his dreams took a turn.

Frown settled in between his brows, Hyuk-jae tightened his grip on Nagisa. "Nagisa," he murmured, voice rough with sleep.
A moment later he said it again, more insistently. "Nagisa." Gibberish. "Nagisa-ya."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2013 5:49:29 GMT -6

Still feeling sleepy, Nagisa crawled back into bed; Hyuk-jae came by a little while later, while he was dozing, carrying a cup of tea. Nagisa kept drifting in and out of sleep, but when Hyuk-jae wrapped his arms around him, he woke up with a start. Hyuk-jae was warm. Like, not in a good way. Nagisa squirmed a little so he could roll over; he touched the inside of his wrist to Hyuk-jae's forehead. He was no healer, but he was pretty sure Hyuk-jae was running a fever.

Sleepy though he was, Nagisa could hardly go back to la-la land with Hyuk-jae holding him and moving around fitfully. Feeling sorry for his friend, Nagisa ran his fingers through Hyuk-jae's hair, trying to unstick the longer bangs from his damp forehead.

Frown settled in between his brows, Hyuk-jae tightened his grip on Nagisa. "Nagisa," he murmured, voice rough with sleep. A moment later he said it again, more insistently. "Nagisa." Gibberish. "Nagisa-ya."

Heat flooded to Nagisa's cheeks. Did ... did Hyuk-jae just add -ya to his name? The lighter-haired young man suddenly felt hyper-aware of Hyuk-jae's body, his grip around his waist, the hotness of his skin and his breath.... Scrunching his face, Nagisa carefully extracted himself from Hyuk-jae's grasp, replacing his body with a body pillow. He stayed for a moment, making sure Hyuk-jae didn't wake (though he did whimper), before heading to the bathroom.

He must be having weird dreams because of the fever, Nagisa reasoned with himself, ignoring his flushed face in the mirror. He wet a cloth with cold water, wringing it out thoroughly and filling a small little pail with water before coming back to the bedside. He brushed the damp bangs from Hyuk-jae's face tenderly, covering his forehead with the cloth and slipping back into bed.

Nagisa slept lightly, jerking awake every time Hyuk-jae fidgeted. Dutifully, he kept wetting and re-wetting the forehead cloth to attempt to keep Hyuk-jae's temperature down. He wasn't sure what else you were supposed to do, but this much he remembered from his childhood.

When Hyuk-jae finally woke up mid-afternoon. Nagisa had gotten very little extra sleep. He didn't feel cranky though, for a change, more concerned about how Hyuk-jae was feeling.

"How do you feel?" he asked immediately after realising Hyuk-jae was conscious. "Can I get you anything?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 15, 2013 5:49:45 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 15, 2013 18:18:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2013 18:18:57 GMT -6

The cool water seemed to calm Hyuk-jae somewhat, allowing him to sleep a little less fitfully. He still tossed and turned, however, eventually winding up with his head tucked somewhere down by Nagisa's waist. When he woke he had an awful crick in his neck and groaned, rolling onto his back and rubbing it.

"How do you feel? Can I get you anything?"

Blinking, the Firebender looked at his friend. "Nnnnhhn?" Both hands came up to his face, rubbing insistently. "Ugh. I think I have a cold, Nagisa," he said, no hint of remembering his dream in sight. "I don't think I can go to work tonight." He sat up, hair messy. "What time is it?" After he received his mid-afternoon answer, Hyuk-jae flopped back against his pillows.

He wanted chicken soup. And sour vegetables. And he was absolutely one-thousand percent certain that Nagisa did not know how to make either of those things. "Ah… can you make tea?" it was hesitantly asked, as if he felt guilty even thinking of asking Nagisa to do something for him. Usually it was the other way around, and it made him uncomfortable otherwise. Hyuk-jae still felt he owed Nagisa a lot.

As Nagisa went to take care of his request, Hyuk-jae peeled himself out of bed. Without thinking he put his old clothes back on, finding the soft comfort of the well-worn fabric better than any of his newer things. He looked a mess. As he caught sight of himself in the mirror after splashing his face with water, he let out a little laugh. His hair was fright! And his eyes were glassy, feverish and bright. He pressed a cool cloth to the back of his neck for a moment. It wasn't good to incubate a fever. Despite how cold he felt, he knew he ought to stay out of all the covers.

Shuffling downstairs, Hyuk-jae eyed Nagisa warily. The younger man might, after all, burn the place down.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 16, 2013 0:10:10 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 16, 2013 3:01:22 GMT -6

"Tea? Yes of course, I can make tea."

He all but skipped downstairs. Tea, tea, tea. How hard could tea be? It was just hot leaf juice right? He went up to the stove and stared. Okay. He'd need a pot for water first right? Did he have a tea pot? "If I were a tea pot, where would I be?" Nagisa wondered aloud.

After a few moments, he found it and filled it with water from the tap. He set it on the stove and turned the dials. He knew how to boil things, at least. How else would he have managed to get his rice done at all? He turned the heat up to high, then went to go look for the tea.

He heard Hyuk-jae come downstairs. "Shouldn't you be in bed?" he asked, standing on tip-toe to reach the tea tin. "You know, I hear there's a tea shop nearby that sells like, herbal blends and remedies and stuff, maybe I should go there? It's called like... er, some sort of flower's name, cafe." He rummaged through the drawers for the tea strainer.

After a few minutes, the kettle began to whistle, so he turned off the heat. Very slowly, very carefully, he picked it up off the stove and went to the table; he had placed a teacup and saucer in Hyuk-jae's spot, with a tea strainer delicately balanced across the rim. He had put in two spoonfuls of the dried tea leaves.

"Whoop, whoop, steady... steady..." he muttered to himself as water sloshed out of the cup and onto the table. A small puddle in the saucer and around it later, he had a steaming cup of tea. Puffing his chest out proudly, he pulled out Hyuk-jae's chair with a small flourish.

"Here you go!" he said, pointedly looking away from the watery mess on the table.

When Hyuk-jae sat down, Nagisa sat opposite from him. "Is there anything else I can do? Should I call a healer? Maybe get some medicine?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 17, 2013 22:21:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 17, 2013 22:21:10 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae stared at Nagisa in dismay as the young man chattered and spilled dried tea all over the pristine kitchen.

As the younger man poured water all over the table in effort to get it into the cup, Hyuk-jae felt the corners of his mouth curving up into a slight smile. So proud of himself, Nagisa presented the cup of something-similar-to-tea to the Firebender. It was all he could do not to laugh. "Thank you," he said.

It was difficult to swallow the tea. It was so strong! The bitterness dried the back of his throat and Hyuk-jae coughed, setting the cup down. "How much tea did you put in there?" he cried in dismay, staring at the dark brew. Even his strong headache tea wasn't as bitter as this mess.

Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae felt a stab of guilt even as another fit of coughing came upon him. As soon as he was able, he apologized. "It's just awful bitter, that's all," he said. Despite that statement, he took the cup and drank a little more. After all, Nagisa could be… sensitive, right? He'd gone to the trouble to try and make the tea. The bitter taste was too much to finish, however, and after a little bit more of it, he begged off saying he just didn't feel well.

"Is there anything else I can do? Should I call a healer? Maybe get some medicine?"

A healer? "No!" The protest came out strained, almost a yelp, as soon as the word 'healer' passed through Nagisa's lips. "No! You — you can't! Please!" Not a healer. They would — they would have all kinds of things to say, none of them good, about Hyuk-jae and his 'condition'. They might take him away, say he couldn't work at the Club any more. "I-it's just a cold, really. I'll be fine in a few days. Herbal remedies will be just fine for me, honest." His orange eyes matched the pleading in his tone of voice.

Curling up on the sofa after putting together chicken soup was probably his best bet. Sighing, Hyuk-jae pushed away from the table to clean up Nagisa's mess. Did he even have the ingredients in the house for soup? Sending Nagisa to the market alone was a nightmare, surely. Checking their stores, Hyuk-jae was able to come up with garlic, onions… everything except the whole young chicken. Suddenly wishing irrationally for his mother and her kitchen, Hyuk-jae glanced at Nagisa. "… Wanna go buy a game hen and a packet of herbs from an apothecary?" he asked.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 17, 2013 23:59:04 GMT -6

"I... I put in two spoons. Was that too much?" Nagisa's face fell. He couldn't even manage a cup of tea? How useless. "I just thought.. well, the leaves are so tiny so I thought you would need a lot to make it taste good.

But Hyuk-jae seemed to have a hard time getting the tea down; he said it was because he wasn't feeling well, though Nagisa had a sneaking suspicion Hyuk-jae was just being polite.

Hyuk-jae's vehement opposition to calling a healer took him aback. "Okay, okay! No healer, I promise." He vaguely recalled something Jainukul had said about people with epilepsy and healers, but couldn't remember much other than it wasn't very nice. "I'm sorry," he said looking down and away from Hyuk-jae pleading eyes. Gosh, he was just absolutely useless to Hyuk-jae, wasn't he?

He perked back up though at the mention of getting a game hen and some herbs. "You want me to go shopping?" he asked, a grin stretching from ear to ear. "I'd love to go!" Without listening to the rest of what Hyuk-jae was saying, Nagisa hurried upstairs to get dressed for going out; it was the fastest he'd ever gotten ready in his life! He was so excited to return to the market after his first venture there. Maybe he'd pick up some candy floss.

He hurried back downstairs, dressed plainly. Well, plainly for him anyway: just some dark brown trousers and a light blue shirt in the more traditional cut, with a high neck and the diagonal flap with tie-in buttons.

"I'm ready!"

With a frown Nagisa wagged his finger at Hyuk-jae. "No, no, you CAN'T GO." He was insistent, tugging Hyuk-jae to sit down on the couch. "You're sick, I'll go do it! It's just down to the market and the apothecary, right? I can do that! I promise!"

Hyuk-jae insisted on giving him a list — like he couldn't remember "game hen" and "herbs"! — tucking the list into Nagisa's pocket.

"I'll be back in a flash!" he said, giving Hyuk-jae a hug on impulse and heading out the door. "You relax and drink some more tea okay?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 18, 2013 0:23:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 18, 2013 0:23:47 GMT -6

He probably should've thought ahead before suggesting so casually that Nagisa go to the store. The younger man's face lit up at the idea of shopping, and Hyuk-jae had the distinct feeling that anything else he said fell on deaf ears.

"I'd love to go!"

… Of course he would. As Nagisa sped away to put on a shopping outfit — whatever that was — Hyuk-jae rubbed his forehead. When the young man returned, dressed in what his roommate felt was a very appropriate everyday outfit, he stood up and headed for the door. Nagisa yelped at him, pushing him back down on the sofa with surprising strength.
"You CAN'T go," the younger man said.
"But I —"
"You're sick, I'll go do it! It's just down to the market and the apothecary, right? I can do that! I promise!"

He ought to make the poor thing a list, at least. Otherwise there was no telling what Nagisa would come home with, and no telling how much he'd spend on a simple game hen. "Fine. But I'm making you a list, okay?" The Firebender sat down with a piece of paper and a pen, quickly jotting out directions to the best meat shop where Nagisa would get a fair price and the precise type of hen to buy. Next came directions to The Apothecary, a little herbal and healing clinic run by a nice man and a Waterbending herbalist. Hyuk-jae had no use for their talents, but he knew through word-of-mouth that the herbal remedies at the place were carefully made and very effective. Finished, he stood again and tucked the list into Nagisa's pocket.

"This shouldn't take you long," he said, but Nagisa ignored him. The fluffy-haired tornado insisted he drink tea and relax and went out the door, letting it fall shut behind him with a bang. Hyuk-jae moaned a little. Why did he feel such a sense of impending doom?

In the end he decided on a bath. Nagisa had some lavender bath salts in the cabinet, and Hyuk-jae thought that a hot soak might help with the aches. Pouring some of the salt into the tub, he let the water run and went back downstairs to re-make the tea. The book, sitting on the table by the sofa, caught his eye.

Nagisa wouldn't mind him reading it, would he? Surely not. Hyuk-jae didn't believe for a minute that the other man wanted to read it, anyway. Someone ought to! Taking the book with him, he collected his cup of tea and went to the bathroom. Relaxing in the tub with a book and some tea sounded like a very nice way to spend a sick day. In fact, it was practically luxurious! As he dropped his clothes into a pile, Hyuk-jae was careful to set the book in a place it wouldn't get splashed while he climbed in. The water wasn't hot enough, so he took a moment of rare privacy to heat it with his bending.

Steam curled up from the water around him and he sighed, finally comfortable. It was hot enough to make him sweat a little — perfect. Picking up the book, Hyuk-jae cracked it open and began to read.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 18, 2013 1:42:32 GMT -6

Once out the door, Nagisa took a deep breath. He was determined to follow the directions on the piece of paper Hyuk-jae gave him.

Nagisa began to walk, looking around at the shops he passed with wide eyes. He wondered where the comic shop Hyuk-jae said he knew about was. Maybe it was close by?

Arriving at the market, Nagisa took a deep breath, eager to get his shopping under way. Shopping! By himself! The first time! How exciting! He walked around the marketplace with a bounce in his step.

A little ways from the entrance to the market, Nagisa caught a whiff of something sweet. Following his nose, he discovered a roasted nut stand; a young woman was cooking nuts in a huge metal wok, then sprinkling the nuts with sugar and pouring them into paper cones.

"Excuse me miss, can I have one of those?"

Munching his snack with undesguised delight — he would have to get some warm ones for Hyuk-jae before going home — he began to look again for the meat shop on the little paper. He spent a good ten minutes looking for it, stopping now and again to watch market folk at work — an old lady who was wrapping cheeses, for instance, or the man who was stringing together beads.

Finally arriving at the shop Hyuk-jae specified, he consulted his paper and rattled off exactly what he wanted to buy as per Hyuk-jae's instructions. The meat man looked at him for a moment and then around him as if expecting people to suddenly appear, then pulled out a hen and wrapped it up in some paper and tied the package up with twine.

Proudly, Nagisa exchanged money for the little package, holding it carefully by the criss-crossed strings. Next stop, The Apothecary!

He walked there too, as per the directions on the paper, pausing every now again to watch some food stall people at their craft: the taffy people stretching some salf-water taffy (he got some, of course), the candy floss man (how could he pass up candy floss though?), and did Hyuk-jae KNOW that people sold these little paper cones of shaved ice with fruit syrup?

A few yuans lighter, Nagisa arrived at the Apothecary, made his purchase, then wound his way back through the market — picking up roasted peanuts for Hyuk-jae, and some more candy floss for himself — before heading home.

When he got back, he found the lower floor empty. "Hyuk-jae?" He went up the stairs. Hyuk-jae was in bed, reading. "I'm back! The market is so fu — is that that book?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 18, 2013 20:17:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 18, 2013 20:17:27 GMT -6

Nagisa was gone for hours, long enough that Hyuk-jae got out of his bath and climbed into bed with the book, tucking under the covers to read and try to stay warm. He was halfway into the romance novel when the door downstairs opened — but it was so interesting that he didn't even think much of it! The main character was just wrestling with some complex emotions when Nagisa burst into the bedroom, huffing and puffing and covered in bright pink candy floss.

"I'm back! The market is so fu — is that that book?"

Snapping the book shut as his cheeks heated, Hyuk-jae stuck it face-down on the bed next to him. "No." A pause. "Okay, maybe. But — you were gone forever!" He ran a hand through his hair. "Why are you covered in pink?" And what was he holding? Nagisa looked a bit of a mess, but also like he'd had the most wondrous time. His eyes were bright and cheeks pink from running up the stairs. It was too adorable to be mad at.

Hyuk-jae got out of the bed, taking stock of Nagisa. The younger man trailed behind him, motioning to the hen and the herbal packets he'd procured. Nagisa seemed very proud of himself, and the Firebender reached out a hand to affectionately ruffle his hair. "You did good, okay?" he said, taking the hen and vegetables and putting them in a pot with water to cook. He couldn't trust Nagisa to make soup, after all. Covering his sneeze by putting his elbow up to his face, Hyuk-jae put the kettle on to make the herbal remedy. He hoped it would be less vile than Nagisa's tea.

Sitting on the sofa, the young man stretched his arms over his head. A few joints let out a cracking and popping sounds, and he sighed. "It looks like you had fun. I wondered if you'd gotten lost," Hyuk-jae said, sparing a glance for Nagisa. "Did you know you're covered in pink sugar?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 18, 2013 20:46:37 GMT -6

Chest puffed out proudly, Nagisa handed over the hen and the herbs to Hyuk-jae, who began making dinner and some more tea for himself. The younger man all but danced around the kitchen, excited to have played an active role in helping with the night's dinner. He did good, Hyuk-jae had said. Nagisa beamed.

Hyuk-jae took to the couch, and Nagisa padded around the living room, still too keyed up from his trip to sit down.

"It looks like you had fun. I wondered if you'd gotten lost," Hyuk-jae said, sparing a glance for Nagisa. "Did you know you're covered in pink sugar?"

"I did have fun!" Nagisa replied, touching a hand to his face. He laughed sheepishly. "I bought some candy floss! And gosh the market is just SO interesting! I watched some people make salt water taffy — did you know that they can stretch them out really long? And then there was someone wrapping cheese, I've never seen cheese that big before, usually by the time I see cheese in the club they're in little wedges and stuff. Then there was a guy stringing beads together, it was so pretty, he was making necklaces and bracelets and..." Nagisa prattled on about his trip, talking about all the things he had passed and seen. He talked about how he had gone into the meat shop and ordered the hen just like the paper said, how the man wrapped it up in paper and twine, how perfect the package had looked even though the hen was lumpy in weird places. He chattered away about the Apothecary — not realising Hyuk-jae had probably been there before — and how interesting all the little herbs and remedies were. "There was even one for potency, if you know what I mean." Nagisa looked scandalised. "It used a ... a .... a private part from a Lion-Elephant!"

He finally flopped into an armchair and glanced at the clock. "Oh... Are you going to work?" he asked. "I can call us off if you're too sick to go in."

Then he remembered. "Oh and — " He rummage in his pockets and pulled out a red checkered cone of paper. "I got you some roasted peanuts. Can you eat them? They were really good. And hey, they're still warm a little."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 19, 2013 9:45:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 19, 2013 9:45:50 GMT -6

Smiling indulgently, Hyuk-jae listened as Nagisa regaled him with stories of his Market Day. He was just so animated! Idly, the Firebender wondered if he ever got that excited about anything. Nagisa's scandalized look as he mentioned the virility potion brought a laugh to the taller man's face even as he coughed. The kettle boiled and he got up to see to his remedy. As he pulled down a cup, Nagisa asked if he wanted to call off for the night.

"No, I'll go," Hyuk-jae said. He lifted the packet, showing it to Nagisa before putting it into a cup. "That's what this is for. As long as I don't have a fever, I think I'm okay to work." He'd already cost Nagisa enough time at work. The two of them needed to earn money, and Hyuk-jae could work with a cold. Right?

He came to sit at Nagisa's feet, carrying the cup. Wrapping up in a blanket, Hyuk-jae leaned his dark head against the younger man's knee and tried to show interest in the peanuts. Tasting one, he was surprised by how sweet it was. Hyuk-jae preferred savory foods to sweet ones nine times out of ten, but the peanuts weren't awful. The herbal remedy wasn't awful, either — just sort of grassy and minty. Between the sweetened peanuts and the hot beverage, the young man began to feel sleepy again.

The teacup at least was empty by the time he fell asleep, tucked up into the blanket, head leaned against Nagisa's thigh. The herbal mix had made him drowsy, as the healer had told Nagisa it would, but it would also hopefully help with the fever. He woke maybe an hour later, joints stiff from sitting on the floor. Shaking Nagisa's leg, Hyuk-jae stood up. "C'mon," he murmured, "s'go to bed." They still had a few hours to sleep before they needed to be up for work, and the soup would keep. It would even be nice packed up for dinner at the Club, all hot homemade. Hyuk-jae would add ginseng to his, of course.

He climbed the stairs slowly and stripped without fanfare, falling into bed immediately. Drowsiness clung to him, and he burrowed into the covers without thinking.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 19, 2013 12:28:13 GMT -6

Nagisa had fallen asleep too.

When Hyuk-jae lay down on his lap while he drank his tea, all curled up in a blanket, Nagisa couldn't help be enjoy the moment. He shyly stroked his friend's hair, relieved to feel that it was no longer soaked in sweat and his forehead was no longer on fire. When Hyuk-jae woke him up, he wondered how he had managed to fall asleep in such an uncomfortable position; his neck was stiff from his head being bowed, his back ached, and both of his legs had that tingly-numb feeling. He certainly hadn't meant to fall asleep that way. There was just, he supposed, something really relaxing about being with Hyuk-jae that let him fall asleep despite his intentions.

As he trudged up the stairs, rubbing his eyes, Nagisa remembered he hadn't had a very restful sleep either. Maybe that helped too.

Arriving at the bedroom, Nagisa immediately made a beeline for the bed, flopping on the plush mattress without even bothering to change out of his going-out clothes: a very rare occurrence.

He slept like a rock until the alarm went off. With a grunt, he groped around the night stand, finally smacking the clock on the third try. The force was a bit excessive, but it shut up the metallic ringing.

With a groan, Nagisa dragged himself out of bed and into the bathroom, washing his face with lukewarm water. Coffee. That's what he needed. Really strong coffee.

Still half-asleep, he pulled on a muted, pale green button up and a forest green trouser-and-waistcoat combo. He fished around in his drawer for a dark purple cravat, fixing it on himself purely out of habit.

By the time he was fully ready — hair done, eyes done, clothes double-checked — Hyuk-jae had already finished his preparation and was downstairs getting their bento ready. He couldn't help but think to himself how reliable Hyuk-jae was, and how lucky he was to have him for a roommate.

The two arrived at the host club at six-thirty on the dot; the doors had just been unlocked for the employees as they walked up. There was a small notice on the bulletin board in the staff room that there would be no theme that night; Nagisa glanced at Hyuk-jae, knowing he'd be pleased.

As per usual, there was a small list taped to both his and Hyuk-jae's lockers, listing their scheduled clients for the night. Anxiously, Nagisa skimmed it to see if Nima's name was on. It wasn't, but he did see another name he wasn't too happy about: Yoshida.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 19, 2013 12:59:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 19, 2013 12:59:09 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae had thick, somewhat coarse hair. It was glossy enough, but it wasn't fine nor silky. It was clean, however, smelling like the soap he'd washed it with much to Nagisa's chagrin. He couldn't bring himself to use the fruity, fluffy shampoos stocked in the shower and so had bought a tea tree castile soap for washing everything.

Sleep came mercifully quickly, claiming his awareness even before Nagisa was under the covers. The alarm had quite a job of pulling him out of the deep, dreamless sleep the medication had brought on. Hyuk-jae dressed all in black without thinking, sparing a little liner for the eyes because he knew Nagisa would say something if he didn't. His red bracelet and the bright orange of his eyes were the only colors on him.

He poured out portions of soup for their dinner, adding ginseng to his before closing it up. It wouldn't hurt to have some now, in fact — Hyuk-jae spooned a little into a mug and ate it quickly while finishing Nagisa's lunch, adding rice and little sausages cut up like octopi to the box. His own consisted mainly of the soup and some quick 'overnight' pickles he'd whipped up while Nagisa was at market.

Sighing in relief over the lack of theme, Hyuk-jae carefully opened his locker to put his lunch inside. There really wasn't much else in there — a comb, an eyeliner pencil, some headache tea. Closing the locker, he looked over the list. There were two new names he didn't recognize, and Yoshida's name twice.

Twice? That was odd. It must have been a mistake. Someone was probably tired!

Following Nagisa out into the main room, Hyuk-jae took a seat and waited. The black ensemble he was in combined with his cold made him look very pale indeed, eyes flashing in his face. Nagisa was like a forest sprite next to him, and their customers seemed to find his worrying over him adorable. Several women cooed and bought him tea while Nagisa flirtatiously explained how very good he was at taking care of a sick and laid-up friend. Hyuk-jae agreed, draping his arm around him while Nagisa checked his forehead with his wrist. The ladies ate it up.

By the time Yoshida and Nakamura were scheduled to come, Hyuk-jae was starving. He stared at Nagisa longingly, thinking of the soup sitting in the back with his name on. "Can't we eat?" he hissed, leaning close. "I'm starved!"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 20, 2013 9:09:25 GMT -6

The night went by at a steady pace. Nagisa puffed out his chest with pride as he demonstrated how he took care of Hyuk-jae and talked about his adventure to the market. He happily rambled on about the things he saw — like candy floss, and salt-water taffy, and (for a bit of shocked giggling) the virility concoction he saw at the Apothecary.

Nagisa was dreading Yoshida's visit, and was grateful when Hyuk-jae leaned over and asked about eating. "We should go eat before they get here!" he said, a little too loudly. Leaving a word with one of the non-host staff to explain they were going to eat lunch a moment, Nagisa took Hyuk-jae's hand and marched out of the hosting room.

Once they were in the employee lounge, Nagisa heaved a big sigh. "I don't LIKE Yoshida," he complained, his voice rising in octave. "Even before you got here, he was so..." he cast about for the right word. "Slimey. You know? Like a used-Satomobile salesman. If it weren't for Nakamura I'd refuse to serve him, honestly." He pulled open his locker. "How are you feeling, by the way? Do you need anything?"

He sat down net to his friend and opened his bento eagerly, his mouth forming an "O" and eyes wide as he took out one of the little octopus-shaped sausages. "How did you do this?" he demanded, completely smitten with the cute little sausage-tentacles. He was loathe to eat them, instead eating everything around the cute sausage cephalopods. "You should make these all the time!" he said excitedly, making silly faces at the little thing.

All too soon, their break was over. Nagisa saved one of the little sausage-octopi in his bento container and put it back in his locker. "So that I'll have a treat for after work," he explained.

Taking Hyuk-jae's hand again, they walked back to main hall. Nakamura and Yoshida were already there, waiting. Nakamura was sitting in the chair with his back to the service door, so Yoshida saw them first. It was all Nagisa could do not to visibly recoil from Yoshida's hungry-looking grin.

"Hi~~~!" From behind, Nagisa draped his arms around Nakamura's shoulders. The man patted his head affectionately, and Nagisa nuzzled up against his cheek. "So sorry we're late, we just had a little snack. How are you today?"

Nakamura smiled. "We're doing well," he said in his soft-spoken manner, patting the seat next to him. Nagisa climbed over the back of the couch, He didn't feel like sharing the story of Market Day with Yoshida, so instead he talked about candy.

"Do you know what candy floss is?" he asked generally, his words intended for Nakamura.
"The pink candy stuff?" It was Yoshida who replied instead.
"Yeah, that stuff." Nagisa smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "I tried some on my own the other day!"
"Oh really?" Nakamura put a hand over his mouth, covering his smile.
"Yeah! It's so~~~~~o good!" Nagisa grinned over at Hyuk-jae, hoping he'd pick up the story about how he came home covered in the sticky pink stuff.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 20, 2013 22:10:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 20, 2013 22:10:38 GMT -6

Gritting his teeth as Nagisa talked endlessly about their day, Hyuk-jae was glad for once that he was required to play the stoic type. Nagisa played up his illness, too, using the pallor provided by black clothes to help. Why did Nagisa have to tell everyone about their real life? Weren't they supposed to be acting? It was all he could do to maintain his calm face, to smile indulgently as he hugged his friend to his side.

Dinner couldn't come fast enough. He was relieved when Nagisa led the way to the back. Maybe the soup would help.

Hyuk-jae said nothing as Nagisa complained loudly about Yoshida. He didn't particularly care for the man either, but he was used to clients like that. It wasn't anything special or new. He laughed, however, when Nagisa called the man slimy. "You're right," he agreed, sitting down with his soup. "He's an unpleasant person. But he pays us well." Yoshida obviously liked their act. He was a relatively big spender for them, and Hyuk-jae had no illusions about the fact. He needed to please him, not like him.

The younger man's surprise over the octopus-shaped sausage was adorable. Hyuk-jae hid his own smile by looking down, though he spared a sideways glance for his friend. "It's just cut with a knife. My mother used to do that for me." A long time ago, when she loved him, that is. Before the fits. "If I made them all the time, they wouldn't be special, would they?" They were relatively devoid of nutritive value, which was why they'd never appeared in their bento before. He ate his own ginseng and chicken soup quietly, sneezing here and there and trying to hide his cough. He felt better than before, but by no means one hundred percent. It was disheartening to think of going back out, but it had to be done. Letting Nagisa take his hand, Hyuk-jae admonished him to make sure he washed them before touching any food as they went back out.

Wistfully, Hyuk-jae wished Nakamura's type liked him better. It seemed that type always favored Nagisa's act, leaving Hyuk-jae with the hungry men, the ones like Yoshida. At least he knew how to make such men happy.

Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae smiled. "Shouta enjoys the market," he said, not willing to add much more. Unlike Nagisa, Hyuk-jae wanted to keep what happened at home a secret. Those times were theirs. It was obvious that Nagisa didn't think of it that way, but Hyuk-jae was a private person. The Firebender didn't want everyone to know they slept together, how Nagisa cuddled with him at night. He didn't want them to share in their everyday life, going to market and mending clothes. Couldn't he have something of his own? Just this small thing? Nagisa looked at him to continue the candy floss story, and Hyuk-jae found himself unable to comply.

He glanced instead at Yoshida, lifting a brow.

"I saw you're on my sheet twice," he said, brushing at the man's tie. "Isn't that a mistake?" He smiled a sweet, dark smile.
"Of course not," the man replied smoothly, sliding Hyuk-jae closer to him, "I thought this would be a perfect time for us to get to know each other better." He spared a tiny glance for Nagisa, but then put his eyes back on Hyuk-jae. "Candy floss is nice but I find I have… different tastes than my friend." His grin was sharp, slick.
Hyuk-jae blinked for a moment before he understood.

Yoshida had booked him solo. For an hour.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 20, 2013 22:14:41 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 21, 2013 1:06:52 GMT -6

Feeling put out, Nagisa hastily covered the silence when Hyuk-jae didn't pick up the story. He turned his attention to Nakamura, talking animatedly about how delicious candy floss was, how he could eat buckets and buckets of it if given the opportunity. Nakamura smiled and nodded, drawing him closer; this was the kind of client Nagisa enjoyed best. A quiet sort that let him ramble and seemed to just enjoy listening to him speak. Nakamura was one; Hyuk-jae, he supposed, was another.

"I saw you were on my list twice."

Nagisa froze mid-sentence, turning to stare at Hyuk-jae and Yoshida. The two continued as if he weren't even in the room, though at one point Yoshida gave him the swiftest of glances that — to Nagisa — was filled with some sort of contempt or annoyance. The younger man's face burned, and he turned to look at Nakamura as if to say, did you know about this? Nakamura shrugged; what did he expect?

What did he expect, indeed. Nagisa settled back on the couch, glowering at both Hyuk-jae and Yoshida while biting his lip. Hard. He had half a mind to tell them off — Nagisa and Hyuk-jae were partners after all! How could he book Hyuk-jae alone? — but the last time he had lashed out at a paying client for asking after another host, Jainukul made it very clear that none of that would be tolerated; guests were discouraged from indulging any "host disease" (in other words, switching hosts on a frequent and consistent basis), but infrequently was not disallowed.

Giving them both the most withering glare he could muster, Nagisa turned his full attention on Nakamura, turning his back ever so slightly to Hyuk-jae. Fine. Let him have Yoshida.

A little voice in his head reminded him that Hyuk-jae had thought it was a mistake, and had said he didn't like Yoshida either; regardless, Nagisa remained stubborn. He could've said no if he really minded..

Nakamura and Yoshida's shared hour passed in a blur. He still managed to be a fairly decent host to Nakamura, who seemed understanding of his frustration; Nagisa paid no attention to Yoshida at all, though the man didn't seem to notice or care. Then, it was time for Hyuk-jae and Yoshida to go to one of the private rooms.

Before the two could get up, Nagisa stood. "Thanks for coming, Nakamura," he said cheerily. "If you'll excuse me."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 21, 2013 16:10:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 21, 2013 16:10:19 GMT -6

Why was Nagisa glaring at him? About to ask, Hyuk-jae found his words cut off as Nagisa turned his back on him. Yoshida made a small, quiet joke about his 'boyfriend' having his toes stepped on and laughed a rumbling, amused laugh. Hyuk-jae twisted his fingers together. Surely not, right? Nagisa hated Yoshida. If anything, shouldn't he be glad that Hyuk-jae was going to deal with the man for him?

He didn't know what to do. Hyuk-jae didn't know what anyone did in those private rooms, since the place wasn't a brothel. Was he supposed to just… pour tea for the man? Orange eyes pleaded with Nagisa as he stood, but Hyuk-jae remained stunned into silence as his friend patently ignored him. It seemed as if the younger man truly upset — both with him and with Yoshida.

The Firebender didn't really understand that he was allowed to refuse clients. Yoshida took his arm to head to a private room and he stared after Nagisa even as the man pulled him along. As the two of them sat in a room and Hyuk-jae poured tea, laughing at Yoshida's jokes, he worried over what Nagisa was doing. Without the fluffy-haired man to cover for his absence seizures, Hyuk-jae upset Yoshida at least once by being 'inattentive'. He apologized, making up some excuse about being a chronic daydreamer. The man made suggestive remarks about holding his attention.

"Is this your first time to see someone without Shouta?"
Hyuk-jae looked down at his tea. "It is," he admitted.
Yoshida smiled his oily smile. "How nice for me," he said.

By the time the hour was over, the Firebender was exhausted. He bid Yoshida goodbye and quickly went to the back, searching for his friend. They still had more clients as a pair that evening, two pairs of ladies and one last of gentlemen. Unable to find him, Hyuk-jae sat down on a bench for a moment, rubbing his forehead. He wanted to go home.

Although, why? It wasn't really his home at all. After tonight it was more clear than ever that anything Nagisa did with him was fodder for work. The way he was with him at home was fuel for stories. He probably joked about them using the same shower, about how Hyuk-jae looked when he was asleep. Rubbing the back of his neck, Hyuk-jae leaned his head against the wall.

It was ridiculous to feel such betrayal. Why had he let himself become so attached to Nagisa, and so quickly? Was it just because he'd been so nice to him? Hyuk-jae was pathetic.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 21, 2013 16:18:14 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 21, 2013 17:48:21 GMT -6

He didn't know what to do when Hyuk-jae and Yoshida left. He had assumed that the blank slot on his guest card had applied to both of them, and now that plans changed he hadn't any idea how to occupy his time. For a while, he moped about in the employee room, but the silence did nothing to ease his irritation. He slammed his locker a few times for good measure, but the sound of metal crashing into metal was not as therapeutic as he'd hoped for.

Feeling lonely, he took to pacing in the hallway of the back rooms. Madame Jainukul passed him once, regarding his demeanour with an arched brow and pursed lips. She must have known about the schedule, and the look she gave him was one of warning. Yeah, yeah, he got it.

Miserably, Nagisa jammed his hands into his pockets, kicking at the wall and leaving scuff marks. What was he so worked up over anyway? Sure it was annoying that Yoshida asked for Hyuk-jae instead of him, but back when he was working solo he would have given anything for Yoshida to request someone else. Nagisa thought, and thought, and thought, but the reason for his irritation continued to elude him.

Unable to stand still, he began roaming the building, peeping into the hostess' hall before getting shooed away by one of Sayona's friends. He wandered, aimlessly, until he passed a clock in one of the hallways that said his hour was up... five minutes ago.

He rushed back into the hosting hall to find Hyuk-jae already there.

Without so much as a how-do-you-do, Nagisa grabbed Hyuk-jae's wrist and led him back to their section. Their next few clients were a small party of young ladies, a couple of groups of business men, and a couple of matronly women. Nagisa turned on the charm as full as he could, smiling brightly at everyone and laughing at all the right times. He was lively, telling stories he made up on the fly — some of them based in truth, such as a fictional account of a customer at the old jazz club he used to work at. He brushed up against Hyuk-jae as necessary, addressed him with affection just like Shouta ought. He never once met Hyuk-jae's eyes.

At the end of the night, Nagisa waited in silence for Hyuk-jae to gather his things. He didn't touch his bento other than to put it in his "schoolbag".

Getting home was a relief. His irritation had built up to the point where it felt like he had bugs crawling around in his pants and just couldn't sit still. He wanted to have a bath, a really really long bath; maybe that would settle him down.
This user is Mod