The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Ballad of a Lonely Man [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Nov 5, 2013 21:58:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 5, 2013 21:58:07 GMT -6

"No, I don't forget everything," Hyuk-jae said, but then stopped himself. It wasn't good to be defensive. He had to explain. Clearing his throat, he tried again, still speaking slower than usual because he'd chewed his tongue during the fit and it hurt like the dickens. "I think usually it's maybe a day. Sometimes just a few hours. This time I remember coming home last night, but then as far I can tell, I woke up on the bathroom floor." Whatever had passed between the time they'd gotten home and after the seizure was over was gone, he explained. Like it never happened.

"Can you forget people sometimes too?"

Hyuk-jae looked carefully at Nagisa's face, noticing downturn of the corners of his mouth, the sadness in his eyes. "It's just short term stuff," he said softly. "Some hours before and after." Did Nagisa even understand? "Maybe I would forget someone if I had only just met them, had a brief encounter. But in general no, I don't — I don't forget huge chunks of my life?" At least, he didn't think he did.

Did he? That thought was horrifying. Surely not. The doctor had assured him that that wasn't how it worked, and every time before when he'd been answered after asking what had happened, it was all short-term day-to-day nothingness. The kind of stuff that wasn't even worth remembering.

"So which is it, are you a nice guy that gets mean, or are you a mean guy that plays nice?"

The Firebender blinked. How was he supposed to know which of those he was? "I — I don't know?" he said, feeling confused. He tightened his grip on the teacup. "I know that I am snappish and irritable after a fit because my emotions are all over the place. I don't usually remember it, but people are always telling me that I get that way." Was that what Nagisa meant? "I… try not to be mean to people on purpose? Normally?" What an odd thing to contemplate.

Nagisa grabbed his hand and Hyuk-jae smiled softly, the edges of his mouth turning up. "Yeah," he said, "of course. Why wouldn't we be?" He sighed, after a moment, slumping against the door. "I just — I'm tired, Nagisa. I feel like I ran a marathon after staying up for a week. And my head hurts, and — can we just, can we go to sleep? Please?" He moved to 'his' side of the bed, grimacing at the blood stains on the carpet. Nagisa would probably never really forgive him for that, would he?

Setting the teacup down, Hyuk-jae stripped with no fanfare and got into bed. He tried to drink the tea as quickly as possible, his face displaying how very terrible it tasted as well as how much his tongue hurt. Tears pricked at his eyes for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and he rubbed at them furiously, angry that they were there at all. He had no reason to be sad! It was stupid and embarrassing and he longed, suddenly, for his roommates who had just dumped him unceremoniously in his closet to sleep off the fit with no explanations and no discussion. It was almost worse that Nagisa cared, because now he would be disappointed over and over and over again.

Frustrated, Hyuk-jae turned over on his side, hunching his shoulders. At least the pillow would soak up his stupid, pointless tears. Maybe tomorrow that empty, miserable feeling would be gone. He felt so small. The breath he let out shook, and he wondered if Nagisa was sleeping. He felt so stupid and pathetic — just like he did every time a big fit came and went. And the tears? They just kept coming.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 5, 2013 22:05:24 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2013 22:07:44 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
He settled in bed alongside Hyuk-jae, trying his best to not comment on Hyuk-jae's obviously upset demeanour. Nagisa didn't know how to handle it when other people cried.

When Hyuk-jae rolled over onto his side, Nagisa impulsively snuggled up close. "It's okay," he said softly, nuzzling his cheek against the other young man's hair. "I'm sorry, okay? Don't cry."

~*~*~

The following morening, Madame Jainukul took her leave. Nagisa couldn't help but notice she had a little, secretive smile on her face. She gave her permission for both Hyuk-jae and Nagisa to take the next three days off while Hyuk-jae recovered, insisting on it in such a way that both young men knew she would entertain nothing less than their acceptance.

The next few days that passed were much more subdued than the past few couple of weeks. Hyuk-jae was apparently still overcoming the effects of his fit, even more quiet than he normally was, and crying at random intervals much to Nagisa's bewilderment and discomfort. The anger he initially felt over his carpet being ruined dissipated entirely after he caught his friend scrubbing desperately at the stains, which he had apparently been doing for hours while Nagisa was busy downstairs, reading. Nagisa reassured him repeatedly, saying they'd call a service or just rip it out and use the hardwood underneath. It's okay, I promise! he repeated.

In the early afternoon of the third day, Nagisa got a phone call which he took privately. After a few low spoken words, he hung up and asked Hyuk-jae if he could make him a snack of rice pudding.

After about ten minutes the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Nagisa shouted from the living room. A delivery man was at the door, holding a fairly long, somewhat rectangular package. It was a plain white box with a brightly coloured bow. Nagisa tipped the delivery man, and — struggling slightly - leaned the package up against the couch.

When Hyuk-jae came into the living room with the pudding, Nagisa patted the box and beamed. "Look what came for you!" he said.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2013 17:52:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2013 17:52:27 GMT -6

Hard to live with. Hyuk-jae was very, very hard to live with. He could see Nagisa eyeing him from time to time, bewildered and uncomfortable. He tried numerous times to remove the blood from the carpet, but failed to have complete success. Some of the blood came out, but it was clear that they'd probably never have completely clean carpet again. He felt horribly guilty about it, despite Nagisa's attempts at reassurance.

It wasn't hard to see how much Nagisa cared about material things. Hyuk-jae had ruined his carpet, and probably his towels, too. He'd ruined his own shirt as well, but it was hard for him to care much about it. The white shirt was one of his old ones, anyway.

Madame made them take a few days off, for which Hyuk-jae was thankful. He slept for most of the first two, waking to cook and shower and spend a little time trying to clean the carpet — but he carried that heavy exhaustion for a day or two after a large seizure, and this time was no exception. The Firebender dropped in and out of random fits of crying. By the third day he wasn't as tired or as sad, but he felt a bit numb. The phone ringing on the third day didn't phase him, nor did Nagisa's request for pudding.

It was nice to feel useful. He'd spent the last three days wondering if he needed to start looking for somewhere else to live because he was such an inconvenience to his friend. Of course Nagisa wouldn't want him to continue living in his apartment after witnessing how much trouble he could cause.

After setting rice, milk, and a dash of salt to simmer, Hyuk-jae whisked together egg and brown sugar. It was a miracle he even remembered how to make rice pudding — he certainly couldn't eat it. It took twenty minutes of cooking the rice and then ten more after adding the egg and sugar. Removing it from heat, Hyuk-jae added cinnamon and put it into a bowl. Nagisa always liked to eat things he remembered eating as a child. It was remarkable, really. Hyuk-jae smiled wistfully at the smell of the pudding.

Carrying the bowl, he headed for the living room. "Okay," he said, "this is all there is, so don't ask for seconds — I didn't budget for spare rice for this all week!" Stopping in his tracks, he stared at the box. It was pretty large, wrapped with a bright bow, but he couldn't tell what it was from the rectangular shape.

Look what came for you!

For him? He hadn't bought anything. "Oh, no," he denied, "there must be some mistake. I didn't purchase anything — call the door boy back, it's not mine."

But Nagisa insisted it was his, going so far as to say he had purchased it himself. Hyuk-jae stared at him, uncomprehending. "It's not my birthday," he said.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 10, 2013 22:32:15 GMT -6

Nagisa giggled at Hyuk-jae's baffled face. "No, silly, it's a PRESENT!" He bounced excitedly on the couch cushion. Was this Hyuk-jae's very first present? He was giving him his first ever present? Nagisa all but sparkled at the thought.

"It's not my birthday."

The fluffy-haired young man stared at him, both a little surprised and excited. Very clearly this was Hyuk-jae's first present! "You can give presents when it's not peoples' birthday, you know," he informed Hyuk-jae matter-of-factly. He patted the rectangular box with a bit more emphasis. "Go on, go on, open it!"

He could barely contain himself as Hyuk-jae reached for the box, slowly pulling off the ribbon and opening it.

Inside the box was a black case, very obviously in the shape of a guitar. Nagisa bit his lips as Hyuk-jae flipped the latches on the case up and opened the lid.

Lying in soft, velvety trim was a gorgeous mahogany-wood six-string guitar with a muted sunburst finish. The pick guard was white, offsetting the dark wood stain. Under the saddle, where the steel strings were attached, was a brass bridge, holding the saddle and strings in place.

The crowning glory was a touch Nagisa asked to be added himself: on the neck, under the strings, were the characters for Hyuk-jae inlaid into the wood in a opal-esque material. Nothing too flashy, of course; just thin strips of the shimmery opaly material on a small part of the neck.

Hyuk-jae didn't say anything. In fact, Hyuk-jae didn't do anything Nagisa usually associated with the opening of presents: screaming, laughing, rapid-fire thank yous, jumping up and down, immediately playing with the gift. Hyuk-jae was so quiet, Nagisa suddenly worried he overstepped his bounds.

"Do... do you not like it?" he asked, his voice quavering slightly, the enthusiasm he had felt much dampened
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 10, 2013 22:33:33 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 10, 2013 22:52:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 10, 2013 22:52:04 GMT -6

A present? But — why? It boggled the mind. All Hyuk-jae had done in the last few days was upset Nagisa and make him angry. Why would he give him a gift? As the other host explained that he could receive a present without it being his birthday, Hyuk-jae took care not to point out that he never had. His parents had given him presents on his birthdays, of course, but usually they were small things — a book, maybe. A new shirt. Nothing fancy or big. No box like this.

It was clear as he pulled the bright ribbon from the box and opened it that Nagisa had purchased a guitar. Hyuk-jae's first instinct was to protest the cost of the instrument — it was far too much! Too expensive! How could Nagisa have spent this much money on him? It was bewildering and slightly upsetting. How could he ever repay this? But as he opened the case, anything he thought about saying died on his lips.

Running slender fingers over the wood of the guitar, Hyuk-jae stared at it. It was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The wood was gleaming, satiny and beautiful, and was that his name on it? He plucked a string and a perfect, clean note sounded.

"Do... do you not like it?"

Hyuk-jae snapped his head up, eyes brimming with tears. "No!" he said quickly, "I — it's —" he scrubbed the back of his hand across his eyes. "It's the nicest thing anyone has ever given me," he said. "Ever." He lifted the guitar and held it, running his fingers over the strings. Why was Nagisa giving him this? Glancing back up at his friend, Hyuk-jae smiled softly. "Want me to play you something?"

It was a soft, simple acoustic song — nothing more than Hyuk-jae's voice and the guitar. One of his own compositions, the song was about wanting to get away from somewhere to experience a world outside. He let his dark hair fall into his face while playing, not really looking up at Nagisa. Only when the song was over did he look up, shy but smiling.

"Why did you buy me this?" Hyuk-jae asked, voice low.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 12, 2013 21:09:37 GMT -6

Nagisa clapped excitedly when Hyuk-jae lifted the guitar out of the box, asking him if he wanted to hear a song. "Of course I do!" he exclaimed, settling in on the couch. Hyuk-jae played a lovely song, the words telling a story about wanting to get experience in the world. The younger man watched — and listened — in fascination, not taking his eyes off his friend (especially his hands).

Hyuk-jae's face was very beautiful when he was playing guitar.

At the end of the song, Nagisa smiled. He wanted to clap, but he felt like it would... would ruin the mood, or something. A calm had settled over the house, he felt; it was very ... comforting.

"Why did you buy me this?" Hyuk-jae asked, voice low.

He looked at his friend with surprise. He wasn't sure how to answer the question. It seemed like such a normal, natural thing to do that he didn't even give it any thought.

"Um... well, because you liked it." He squirmed a little, feeling ... not quite uncomfortable, but uncertain. "When we were shopping that first day and we stopped by the music store, and you looked so happy playing. And then, and then, you said that you hadn't played in a long time, and then when we went to get your stuff from — from your old place, I didn't see a guitar so..."

Nagisa looked at his feet. It was harder to explain than he thought it would be. Hyuk-jae was his friend, and his friend wanted a guitar, so he bought him one. It was that simple. Wasn't it? There was a nagging thought in the back of his mind but he couldn't quite figure it out.

"I thought it would make you happy," he finally said. "And I like it when you're happy."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 12, 2013 22:31:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 12, 2013 22:31:44 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae's gaze fixed on a random spot when he was playing, anywhere but the listener, really. He tossed his hair out of his eyes, chewing his lower lip while waiting for Nagisa's answer. The fluffy-haired young man seemed… uncomfortable, maybe? He was shifting his weight on the sofa, causing wrinkles in his slacks. Nagisa hated wrinkles in his slacks.

Because he liked it? Orange eyes widened in surprise. Nagisa remembered his guitar playing in the shop? That was weeks ago! And it had only happened once! Hyuk-jae opened his mouth to say something, but Nagisa continued on, saying that he'd noticed a lack of an instrument among the Firebender's pathetic belongings. But more than that...

"I thought it would make you happy. And I like it when you're happy."
"Oh," said Hyuk-jae. Glancing down at the guitar, he smoothed a finger over his name. Perhaps it was just the leftover feelings from the seizure, the emotional upheaval — but he felt like crying. The concept of another person caring about how he actually felt was… weighty, and strange. It was something different altogether than just being a person who called himself Hyuk-jae's 'friend'.

Chewing his lower lip, he nodded, not trusting his voice. After playing a few more songs on the guitar — no more singing, of course — Hyuk-jae put it aside to make dinner for Nagisa. He went out of his way to make a spicy beef-and-noodles dish he knew Nagisa liked, with plain meat and vegetables for himself. They had work the next few nights coming up, which meant Hyuk-jae needed to get some sleep. The exhaustion, while much better after three days of rest, still lingered and he felt it pulling at his bones. After a shower he climbed into bed, leaving the guitar to lean against the wall just in his line of sight. It was the last thing he laid eyes on before falling asleep, the light warming its wooden belly.

His skin was so soft. He ran his hands over the smooth, pale length of Nagisa's thigh, pressing heated lips to his neck. The younger man leaned in, pressing their lips together, laughing a little as he shifted his weight on Hyuk-jae's lap. The Firebender hissed, letting his fingers dig in.

Nagisa's mouth was hot against his neck, moving towards his collarbone. Warm brown eyes travelled over his torso and Hyuk-jae flushed before Nagisa pressed a hand to his chest, pushing him back.
He went down easily, flat against the cool fabric of his sheets, and so did the other man — to the floor. His hands were cool on the Firebender's thighs, gentle but insistent, and followed by the feverish heat of his mouth. He arched up against him, winding fingers into his hair. He was anything but hesitant.

Nagisa gripped Hyuk-jae's hips, leaning in —

Jerking awake, Hyuk-jae immediately took a sharp, gasping breath. A familiar ache in his groin brought a hot blush to his face and he pulled away from Nagisa, carefully extricating himself from the younger man's embrace. "Oh my god," he whispered. He felt hot, too hot, and tried to take a cleansing breath.

Spirits. What was that? Hyuk-jae glanced at Nagisa, pressing a hand to his heated face. His friend would kill him if he knew what he'd just been dreaming about. It was — it was —
It had clearly been too long since Hyuk-jae had been physical with someone. That must be it.
Running long fingers through his hair, the Firebender got up and went into the bathroom. It was close to their normal waking time, anyway. His cold shower wouldn't be odd at all.

He made sure the water was as icy as possible.

Trying to avoid making any noise, Hyuk-jae took himself downstairs after the bracing shower, hair wet and trousers firmly on. He started by making coffee and hunting down the newspaper. He had to look at for-rent ads. There was no way he could continue to stay here — what if it happened again? Worse, what if — what if —
Shaking his head to clear his mind of such embarrassing thoughts, Hyuk-jae flipped to the ads section and furiously began to circle promising posts.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 12, 2013 22:42:19 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 13, 2013 13:13:07 GMT -6

Their days and nights had lapsed into a comfortable routine. Nagisa reflected on it as they sat down for dinner; if someone had told him a month ago that he'd not only have a new friend but a roommate who made delicious food, he'd have laughed. But, here he was, sitting down to dinner with Hyuk-jae like it'd been something they'd done their whole lives. It was a nice life, and Nagisa had already forgotten it wasn't supposed to last.

After dinner, Hyuk-jae hopped in the shower while Nagisa did his nightly face washing routine at the sink; Hyuk-jae wasn't out of the shower when he was done, so Nagisa crawled into bed first, propped himself up on pillows, and read a comic while he waited. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Hyuk-jae come out of the bathroom towelling his hair off. Maybe he stared a mite too long, because suddenly Nagisa felt hyperaware of his own breath and beating heart. Flushing slightly, Nagisa turned to put the comic book back in its place, taking his time to make sure that Hyuk-jae had settled down into bed before turning off the light.

He quickly fell asleep after exchanging good nights, and it wasn't long before he had rolled over and curled up against Hyuk-jae, an arm around his waist.

~*~*~

He had a dream about his comic; he was one of four boys in some... school? But it looked like a strange school, with strange devices like little telephones but they were about the size of a bar of candy with no wires or mouth pieces. The clothes were odd too, but seemed fitting. A blue-haired boy in red glasses spoke to him a lot, about swimming and being beautiful, but it started raining...

Nagisa woke up gradually, like he always did, disoriented at first by the sound of the shower. Yawning, he glanced at the clock. It was mid-afternoon, a few hours before their next shift at the club.

He must've fallen asleep for a little while again because the next thing he knew it was about twenty minutes later and Hyuk-jae was out of the bathroom. Dragging himself out of bed, Nagisa also took a shower and got ready for work with everything but clothes; he didn't want to get his work attire dirty, so he put on an undershirt and some lounge pants.

When he get downstairs, Hyuk-jae was at the table, bent over something and scribbling.

"Whatcha got there?" he asked curiously. Hyuk-jae mumbled something, evasive, hunching more over what he was doing.

"Aw, c'mon," he said, pressing up against Hyuk-jae's back as he tried to look over his shoulder. "What i~~~~is it?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2013 17:33:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2013 17:33:30 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae had taken his time in the shower, trying to cool his body off. Eventually he'd given in and taken care of the problem, but he still felt uneasy as he sat down to an egg and some fruit. Red ink made dark circles around ads in the paper, most of them in poorer parts of town. Hyuk-jae loved Nagisa's neighborhood, but he wasn't likely to rent a place in it. It was just too expensive, and he had to try and be realistic about his income. On his coming days off in the next week, he'd have to take a day to visit properties. There was no telling what his mind would get up to if he continued to stay with Nagisa, though he was certain none of it was appropriate.

"Whatcha got there?"

It was possible, though he figured unlikely, that Nagisa would be upset to see him looking at for-rent ads. But, on the other hand, wouldn't it be a relief to the younger man once he had his own space back? Hyuk-jae remembered how much Nagisa said he valued his own, private space. Staying there continually only deprived Nagisa of his beloved peace and quiet. He muttered something noncommittal, circling another cheap ad for a tenement place. It wasn't a place Nagisa was likely to approve of, but the price was right.

He should've known better than to think for a second that Nagisa would accept that as an answer. The younger man leaned over onto him, pressing his chest against Hyuk-jae's back as he tried to see what his arm concealed. Lacking a shirt, Hyuk-jae felt the warmth from the shorter man's skin quite keenly. Sucking in his breath, he held it for a moment without even realizing he'd done so. The sweet, fruity scent of his shampoo fell over the Firebender like a prayer, and he briefly closed his eyes as it washed over him.

Their bodies pressed together, heat rising, and he grated his nails down the tender skin of Nagisa's thighs —

Pulse pounding at his throat, Hyuk-jae hunched his shoulders instinctively, willing himself to forget about that morning's almost-wet dream. Oh, god. He leaned forward more, pulling away from Nagisa. "I'm just trying to give you your house back," he said, keeping his voice as light as possible. He let out a breath and gulped down the last of his coffee, standing quickly. He had to get away. Maybe — maybe he ought to just go out? Run an errand before work? If he went to the Host Club in this state it was sure to become obvious to everyone, and he couldn't have that. Hyuk-jae made toast for Nagisa and fried him an egg before making his excuses, heading back up to the bedroom.

Choosing the white shirt again, he pulled on a navy vest and charcoal grey trousers. Nagisa hated how plain his clothing was, but if pressed, Hyuk-jae had to admit he thought he looked quite nice. The grey trousers were his latest purchase, and they fit close. Tying his red bracelet firmly around his wrist, the Firebender fiddled with his bright silver earrings for a moment before making up his mind.

A present. It would certainly be a nice way to thank the fluffy-haired host for his hospitality, wouldn't it? And Nagisa seemed to need a bit more reading material. Grinning to himself, Hyuk-jae carefully counted out and pocketed yuans. Oh, he'd buy the young man a present all right…
Sweeping downstairs, Hyuk-jae ruffled Nagisa's hair.

"I'm going out," he said as casually as possible. "I'll see you at work, okay? Don't be late." He plucked a grape off Nagisa's plate and popped it into his mouth before turning to leave, quickly exiting the building. The bookshop he planned to visit wasn't close to the Host Club. He'd have to make sure he allowed himself enough time.

In the end, Hyuk-jae turned up at work not a minute early nor late, small package in hand.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 13, 2013 17:34:26 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 13, 2013 19:40:39 GMT -6

"I'm just trying to give you your house back."

Nagisa stopped, frowning. House ba — oh, right. That's right. Hyuk-jae was only staying until he could find a place of his own. That's what they talked about. Right.

Somewhat subdued, Nagisa sat at the table, waiting for his food. Hyuk-jae quickly made him toast and fried egg, with some grapes on the side; the younger man ate enthusiastically, happy for the distraction.

"I'm going out. I'll see you at work, okay? Don't be late."

He looked up just as Hyuk-jae took one of his grapes. "Huh? You're going out?" he repeated stupidly, his mind preoccupied. "Oh, yeah, yeah, sure, see you at work."

Hyuk-jae left, and for the first time in a few weeks Nagisa had the house all to himself. It seemed... too quiet, and too big. He lingered over breakfast, picking at his food without much of an appetite. Remembering that Hyuk-jae would be leaving his house soured his mood for some reason. How had he forgotten something like that? It was like Hyuk-jae had been staying with him forever. The house would be lonely without Hyuk-jae. Maybe he would still come over after work or on days off or something.

Bah. All this thinking about it left a sour taste in his mouth that had nothing to do with the food. He dipped his toast in the last little bits of his egg and finished off his grapes, wiping his mouth determinedly with a napkin. He just wouldn't think about it, is all. Right. That's what he'd do.

He trudged upstairs and finished getting ready for work slowly, the usual spring in his step missing. It was this attitude that stayed with him through the cab ride to the Host Club.

But when he got in there was no time for moping. One of the other hosts rushed past him, saying that today's theme was a school theme. Nagisa lit up; it had been a while since the host club dressed up.

Nagisa slipped into navy blue trousers and a button-up white shirt; over the white shirt went a long-sleeved black button up with a high collar.

The door to the employee changing room opened as Nagisa was tying his shoes; Hyuk-jae walked in, similarly dressed but with the top button undone.

The fluffy-haired young man grinned. "Hey!" he said, the troubles of earlier forgotten in light of the fun they were about to have. Hooking one arm around Hyuk-jae's arm and grabbing his 'schoolbag' with his free hand, Nagisa led the way to their customary seats, which had been arranged to look like a well-to-do, higher-education lounge room. The chair and sofas s were all leather and high-backed, surrounding finely made tables of mahogany.

"Hello, Shouta, Eunhyuk."

It was Yoshida and his friend, whose name escaped Nagisa at that precise moment.

"Oh, hello!" the golden-eyed boy said with a grin, plopping himself on the couch next to the quieter of the two men. "Do you like today's theme?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 13, 2013 19:59:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2013 20:13:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2013 20:13:43 GMT -6

School.

The theme for the night was school. Hyuk-jae hated theme nights anyway, finding them embarrassing and uncomfortable. So far he had no connection whatsoever to the themes chosen, and tonight was no exception. Hyuk-jae had never set foot in a school in his life. He hadn't been allowed to go to school, and the uniforms struck him as strange. He heard Nagisa's voice and followed the sound, tugging on his collar. Even with the upper button open, it felt stifling.

"Hey!"
"Hi," said Hyuk-jae. Nagisa hooked their arms together and a wave of relief washed over him. Nagisa wasn't mad about the rent ads! Perfect. Though, at the same time, his stomach twisted a little. That also meant Nagisa wouldn't be sorry to see him gone, didn't it? "Is this — is this what people wear to school?" He looked down at the uniform. Surely not, right?

Wasting no time, Nagisa dragged him to their usual area, where two men already waited. Hyuk-jae sized up their suits, noting the seemingly-casually chosen orange tie on the taller of the two.

"Hello, Shota, Eun-hyuk."

Nakamura and Yoshida. Of course. Nagisa threw himself down next to Nakamura, leaving Yoshida to run his eyes over Hyuk-jae. He touched his tie before smiling, and Hyuk-jae slid in next to him. "It's been a while," he murmured, keeping his voice soft. Yoshida had to lean in to hear, and he smiled. He was ignoring Nagisa entirely.
"You look like the perfect schoolboy," the man said.
Hyuk-jae laughed, running a hand over his hair. "Oh, no," he said. "But I love your tie." Smoothing long fingers over the fabric, he glanced up at the man. "Did you wear it for me?"
"It matches your eyes," Yoshida said.

Nakamura chatted with Nagisa, letting the fluffy-haired young man snuggle up to him as was his usual method. Hyuk-jae didn't mean to let his eyes cut over to them so often, but Yoshida noticed. The man laughed, hooking his fingers under Hyuk-jae's chin. "Jealous?" he asked.
"Well," said the Firebender, flushing a little. "Of course not —"
"It's only natural." Yoshida finally spared a glance for Hyuk-jae's partner. "You two must be very close."
"You have no idea." Hyuk-jae reached into his bag, grinning. "In fact, I'm so glad you're both here — I have a present for Shota." Setting a slim package onto the table, he slid it across to Nagisa. "Go on."

Amused, Yoshida draped an arm around Hyuk-jae's shoulders, pressing their hips together as Nagisa unwrapped the gift. It was a book. Not just any book, either — it was a romance novel by Omoi Tenoh. Yoshida laughed first, recognizing the name. Hyuk-jae's smile was almost evil.

On the cover of the novel, two very muscular and very shirtless men embraced. One was dark-haired with bronze skin, a strong jaw showing a very dark beard. In his arms a paler, lighter-haired man tossed his head back in ecstasy. Their hands were entwined on the pale man's chest, and the fronts of their trousers promised very steamy scenes between the pages. A Discreet Young Gentleman, the book was titled.

"I see that you're not," Yoshida said, glancing at Hyuk-jae.
He widened his orange eyes in feigned innocence. "Oh, but I am!" he promised. "I'm almost painfully discreet."
Yoshida's eyebrow arched close to his hairline. "How so?"
Hyuk-jae, his dream still on his mind, smiled coyly. "Want to find out?"
Nakamura looked scandalized.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 13, 2013 20:23:15 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 13, 2013 21:20:59 GMT -6

He stared at the novel in his hands for a few moments, speechless. "Wh — "

Nagisa had been excited at the thought of a present but looking at the shirtless fellows on the book cover made his cheeks burn. What — what was Hyuk-jae trying to say? A tight smile spread across his face as he looked up at his friend. It felt a little like Hyuk-jae was mocking him. He had said he didn't do that when they first met; and it felt like a... a backhanded thing of some sort, considering the kind of comics he read. Was Hyuk-jae making fun of him?

"T-Thanks!" he said as brightly as he could muster, trying to smile a bit more naturally as he put the book aside. "I'll read it later, okay?" He tried to put a bit of a flirty suggestion in the line, but even he could hear it fell a bit flat.

"Oh-ho!" Yoshida laughed, his arm still draped around Hyuk-jae's shoulders as he leaned in close and gestured at Nagisa. "Looks like Shouta didn't like your gift, Eunhyuk! What's the matter — trouble in paradise? A lover's quarrel?"

Nagisa decided he didn't like Yoshida very much.

"Hey, tone it down a bit," murmured Nakamura. "Do you want us to get kicked out?"

The younger man looked up appreciatively at Nakamura, snuggling closer and giving Yoshida a pointed look. Yoshida only laughed again, pressing Hyuk-jae closer to him and whispering something in his ear. Nagisa's eyes narrowed.

Fortunately, the service cart came by with snacks and drinks. Gratefully, Nagisa helped himself to some cookie-sticks dipped in chocolate, and two tuna-filled onigiri. With a friendly smile he offered some to Nakamura, and got some water and a small plate of cheese cubes for Hyuk-jae, purposefully ignoring Yoshida. Either the man didn't notice or didn't care, because he just reached over to the cart and tried to get Hyuk-jae to eat some onigiri.

"Hey — " Nagisa deftly reached over and grabbed the onigiri out of Yoshida's hands, taking a huge bite out of it himself. "He doesn't want any."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2013 21:39:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2013 21:39:53 GMT -6

He'd really thought that Nagisa would like the novel. It was a romance, and Hyuk-jae knew he liked romance. Given previous comments about relationships between men, he'd assumed that Nagisa wouldn't have a problem with a book about two men. Sure, the cover was… garish… but it was funny! He'd thought the younger man would see the humor in it. His smile faltered as it became glaringly obvious that not only did Nagisa not like it, but he was offended by it.

Maybe he'd reached too far out of his realm of experience, trying to buy a gift for someone else. Hyuk-jae hadn't ever really given anyone a present before. He'd participated in birthdays with his parents, but those were small affairs, on certain days. Even then he'd often just hand-made a card for his father or mother, because they hadn't been able to afford anything else. Hyuk-jae bit his lower lip. "I'm sorry," he said, falling entirely out of character for a moment. "I — I really thought you'd like it."

Yoshida's voice snapped him back to the reality of where they were: at work.
"Looks like Shouta didn't like your gift, Eunhyuk! What's the matter — trouble in paradise? A lover's quarrel?"

He tried to shrug it off. "Oh, no — I'm just not a very good gift giver, I guess," he said, forcing his mouth into a tight smile of its own.
"I'm sure I'd appreciate many of your gifts," Yoshida said.
Nakamura urged him to tone it down and Hyuk-jae shifted his weight uncomfortably, holding very still as the man leaned in to whisper something about that evening and his apartment. The food cart's arrival saved him from having to make a public reply, but offered a new set of challenges.

While Nagisa had finally — sort of — figured out what Hyuk-jae could and couldn't have, the same did not hold true of their customers. Yoshida immediately latched onto an onigiri, determined that Hyuk-jae should eat it.
"No, I —"
"You never eat. You're too skinny!"
"I'm not!" The Firebender tried to control his temper, but being pressured in that manner always got to him quickly. A muscle jerked in his jaw as Yoshida went for him again, but Nagisa plucked the ball of rice away suddenly, solving the problem by eating it himself.

"Hey — He doesn't want any."

Relieved, Hyuk-jae glanced at the clock and drank some water. The two businessmen's appointed time was almost over, and he didn't think he had ever been so glad. As he was leaving, Yoshida ran his fingers through Hyuk-jae's hair, leaning close to him again.
"Call me," he said. "I'll make it worth your while. I can tell you're worth the price." He pressed his card into Hyuk-jae's hand again before following Nakamura out.

Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae didn't say anything. He leaned his elbow on the table, resting his chin in his hand, mouth to palm. He hated that he didn't know how to please him, couldn't even pick a regular, normal present to say thank you for being nice. He hated that his dream kept nagging at him, that even from where he sat the scent of Nagisa's shampoo fluttered around him like butterflies.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 13, 2013 21:50:00 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 13, 2013 22:25:33 GMT -6

For a change, Nagisa couldn't wait to get rid of Nakamura and Yoshida. When their time was up, he all but leapt up.

"I'll see you next time," he said sweetly to Nakamura, fully intending to give Yoshida the cold shoulder, but paused as he saw the other man running his fingers through Hyuk-jae's hair and whispering something in his ear. Again. Hyuk-jae glanced at him; Nagisa blushed, making a face, feeling embarrassed he was caught looking. What Hyuk-jae did in his spare time was none of his business.

So why did his stomach feel funny?

Chalking it up to some bad onigiri, Nagisa leaned back, trying to make some casual chit-chat with his partner — the word rang in his head oddly — before their next clients came in.

"Wow, that Yoshida, huh?" He tried to keep his voice light and his eyes away from that embarrassing novel on the table. "I don't think I like him a lot. Nakamura's a lot nicer, I think. But Yoshida seems to like you."

That last word came out more bitterly than he'd meant, for some reason. Clearing his throat Nagisa leaned in toward Hyuk-jae, brushing the hair out of his eyes. "Sorry about the book thing," he murmured softly. "I — I wasn't expecting it. Like... are you teasing me or something? Because of my comics?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2013 22:41:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2013 22:41:28 GMT -6

Nagisa looked away from him as Yoshida pulled away. Hyuk-jae chewed his lower lip, trying to ignore the hollow feeling in his stomach. His skin prickled with distaste for a moment before he banished the feeling and smiled brightly at the exiting businessmen. Tugging at his collar, he sighed, coughing a little. "These jackets. Are they really this tight? Did you wear this to school?"

Had Nagisa even gone to school?

Nakamura's a lot nicer, but Yoshida seems to like you.

"Yeah." Sighing, the older man toyed with his water glass. "He's just… he's that type of guy, you know? The kind I used to see all the time." He simply knew what they wanted to hear. It was easy to flirt with them because all they needed was overtly sexual behavior. It was boring. However, it would also probably pay his bills — and Nagisa's, until he found somewhere else to live. At that moment, Hyuk-jae felt like his friend probably couldn't wait for him to leave. "Nakamura seems like a nice guy." He was glad to keep their conversation light, but Nagisa leaned in towards him, bringing up the ill-chosen gift.

Like... are you teasing me or something? Because of my comics?

"What?" Hyuk-jae's orange eyes snapped immediately to Nagisa's face. "No! Of course not! I — it's a romance novel! You like romance… don't you?" He reached out, flipping the novel over so that the cover faced down. "I'll get rid of it." His voice came out unexpectedly bitter and flat. "I — I should've gotten you one of the regular ones." The ones with men and women. "I'm sorry. I was — I thought you'd like it. I wasn't trying to offend you."

Hyuk-jae looked down at his hands, unfolding them and staring at the palms. "I should've gotten you one more like your comics. You know. With... girls." It would have made more sense. Maybe he'd just let his dream run away with him, thinking that Nagisa was interested in men the way Hyuk-jae was interested in them. "I'm really sorry." Picking up the water glass, Hyuk-jae took a drink. His throat was dry. As he set the glass down he sneezed.

As bad luck went, tonight was pretty full-up. Their next clients were Nima and her friend, a quiet woman who required full-on heavy flirting from Hyuk-jae in order to keep her interest and spend her money. The slender man was beginning to feel exhausted, and questioned coming back to work so soon after a big fit. Somehow, hosting was so much harder than hawking papers or lying back and thinking of the Republic.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 13, 2013 22:42:50 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 14, 2013 17:16:12 GMT -6

"I should've gotten you one more like your comics. You know. With... girls. I'm really sorry."

"But I — "

Unfortunately, their next clients came in before Nagisa could finished. He almost recoiled at the sight of Nima's plump-cheeked smile and fat-fingered wave before forcing himself to be cheery. Could this night get any more annoying?

As it turned out, it could. Nima had apparently also decided to get Nagisa a gift, so he sat there, a smile plastered on his face, as she cooed over him and fussed with a new shirt-and-vest combo. A new clashing shirt-and-vest combo. The shirt was made of some god-awful, low-quality puce-coloured linen with a lime-green striped pattern, while the vest — although of good quality cloth — was also patterned, but with animal print, in a slightly different shade of lime green so the two greens neither matched nor complimented each other. Nima insisted that Nagisa try the shirt on right then and there and despite Nagisa's hopes otherwise, the clothes fit.

With a strained smile, Nagisa pulled off the outfit. "Sorry, I'd wear it if I could!" he said, lying through his teeth and avoiding Hyuk-jae's eyes. "But when we've got theme nights I'm not allowed to wear something else."

It wasn't an actual rule, of course. There was no written rule that stated a host could not wear something a patron gave him during the course of work. But there was no way Nagisa was wearing that monstrosity.

Nima looked disappointed though, so Nagisa, ever mindful of the money she brought in, clenched his teeth together and offered a smile. "Tell you what, why don't you call ahead to the main office before you come in, and I can wear it just for you?" It was his way of being able to keep it stuffed in the back of his locker unless Nima was going to come around, but the lady was thrilled because she thought it meant he enjoyed it enough to make special effort. Which, of course, is what he meant for her to think.

In the back of his head, a little voice warned that this would encourage her to buy him more clothes. He ignored it, rationalising that if it got too out of hand he'd just burn the pieces and sorrowfully claim that he accidentally lit them on fire while attempting to get a stain out with gasoline. Or something.

Then, not a moment too soon, as Nima was lamenting that he didn't eat enough vegetables and he'd never grow, the two women's time was up. He smiled apologetically at Soon Hee, he never seemed to pay much attention to her anymore. The other woman smiled a little in understanding; Nima could be dominating.

A few more hours and clients passed, and with an hour left on the clock, Jainukul came by and told the two to go on break. It was a little later than usual, but the night had been booked solid. Glad for an excuse to leave the hosting room, Nagisa all but skipped to the employee lounge. He'd already forgotten about the book and Hyuk-jae's comment about girls.

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2013 17:35:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2013 17:35:25 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae was as nice as he could be to Soon Hee. She was a quiet person by nature, which made his job harder. Hyuk-jae did better with people who responded to him in ways he expected — namely men, of course. He and Soon Hee, however, both got to enjoy watching Nima make Nagisa extremely uncomfortable.

The smile he put on his face as he received clothes that even Hyuk-jae could tell were ugly said it all. It was the same smile he'd given the book. As the woman arrived, Hyuk-jae had hastily shoved it into his bag under the table. He glanced at Soon Hee, who was trying to hide a smile. At least the antics of the other two were making up for Hyuk-jae's failing to keep her involved. The two of them shared cups of tea and talked quietly about Soon Hee's job. She was an office lady, but apparently worked a publishing house. Hyuk-jae found this legitimately interesting and was actually sorry to see her go.

He followed Nagisa to the break room, immediately loosening the jacket. The jacket came off as soon as the door shut behind them, flung onto the nearest chair. Hyuk-jae ran his hands through his hair before quickly opening 'his' bag, taking the book out. He meant to stick it in his locker so that Nagisa didn't have to look at it. A glance at the younger boy forced him to laugh, despite his dark mood.

"That Nima is …. really something, isn't she?" he asked, opening his locker with the book tucked under his arm. "You don't seem very pleased with her present." Or mine.
The door of the locker creaked open. "You may want to practice smiling when you're mad, though," the Firebender continued. "I don't think Nima realized it, but Soon Hee could tell."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 14, 2013 17:57:02 GMT -6

"Oh she's something all right," said Nagisa darkly, looking at the offending clothes he carried. Hastily he opened his locker and shoved them in the back. "And I hope I never actually have to wear these awful things. Ugh!" He shuddered before slamming the locker shut.

"You may want to practice smiling when you're mad, though," the Firebender continued. "I don't think Nima realized it, but Soon Hee could tell."

He laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. "It was that obvious, huh?" He sat down in one of the chairs, slumping comfortably. "I've never been too good at hiding when I'm mad." He rubbed his temples, missing Hyuk-jae putting something into his locker. "But it's not like I can tell her I hate it. The last time I got a client upset over something petty we nearly lost a whole business's patronage." He laughed a little. "I mean, in fairness to me I don't think the shota-type necessarily goes around with scabbed knees and a bad attitude. I'm more boy-lolita than I am wild-child."

All too soon their break was over, and Nagisa and Hyuk-jae returned to their roles as Shouta and Eunhyuk. The last hour dragged on, it seemed, with each second ticking away more slowly than the one before. Luckily, their last set of clients were new: new to them, new to the Host Club at a whole. The two gentlemen seemed unsure of themselves and of the establishment, and Nagisa tried his best to reassure their fears, stressing that the Host Club was a reputable business and all client files were confidential.

Then — spirits be praised — their night was over. Nagisa had never felt more eager to change out of a costume, go home and just hang out with Hyuk-jae... which, of course, reminded him of the fact that it wouldn't last.

Nagisa arrived at home subdued, quietly taking off his outside shoes and putting on house slippers, Feeling too lazy to walk upstairs, he flung his waistcoat and cravat somewhere in the general vicinity of the railing and plopped down on the couch, unbuttoning the top button of his shirt.

While Hyuk-jae was in the kitchen preparing their breakfast... dinner.. whatever, Nagisa noticed something on the coffee table out of the corner of his eye. It was the book Hyuk-jae had given him.

Blushing at the sight of the cover, he picked it up and shuffled to his friend. "Uh... hey..." He waved the book around. "I'm... I'm sorry about how I reacted at the club over this okay? I — " He bit his lip, the all-too-suggestive cover catching his eye once more. "It's... it's got nothing to do with girls though."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2013 18:24:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2013 18:24:26 GMT -6

Nagisa walked into the place and immediately made a mess, tossing his clothing onto the floor. Hyuk-jae went around behind him, picking things up and folding them, setting them aside. It was just natural with him, he didn't really think about what he was doing. His own vest came off as well, folded neatly with everything else. His stomach growled, reminding him he'd forgotten to pack a lunch.

He'd been so busy going to purchase a gift for Nagisa that he hadn't even made his bento. Hyuk-jae sighed, heading for the kitchen. Missing dinner for nothing grated on his nerves. Those nerves could be soothed with food, of course. He had vegetables for a quick stir fry in the house, and such a simple dish would have to do. Hyuk-jae found himself wishing that he slept in the spare room as he picked through the cupboards, taking out cooking oil and onions.

"I'm sorry about how I reacted at the club over this okay?"

The racy image of two men in each other's arms came into his vision as Nagisa waved the offending novel at him. Wishing he'd thought to leave it in his locker or at the least put it where Nagisa wouldn't find it, the taller man sighed. His chopping took on a bit more force.

"You hate it," Hyuk-jae said, keeping his eyes on the vegetables and knife in his hands. "Don't deny it, I saw your face. You made the same face at the clothes Nima gave you. It's okay." He dumped chopped vegetables into a pot and took an onion next, slicing it carefully. "I'm… not very experienced at giving gifts. I thought you'd like it. I assumed —" He assumed things he had no business assuming, likely due to residual excitement left over from his very inappropriate dream. Hyuk-jae hadn't mentioned the dream to Nagisa (nor would he ever), but somehow still felt ashamed as his friend stood there, waving the romance novel in his face.

"It's... it's got nothing to do with girls though."

"All your comic books are boys and girls," the Firebender pointed out. He shrugged, putting the onion in with the vegetables and oil and stirring. As they mixed together, the ingredients began to smell delightful, and he added gochujang quickly, turning the whole mess red with spice. "I guess I just remembered you saying something that made me think you might, you know." He waved a hand, as he tried to explain. "Like guys." He hoped Nagisa wasn't going to yell at him for that. "I'll — I'll read it, don't worry about it," Hyuk-jae added quickly, "So it won't go to waste or anything. I… I like things like that." His pale skin pinked with an uncharacteristic flush.

The vegetable dish was soon finish, stir-fried quickly. Hyuk-jae put two servings into bowls and handed one to Nagisa. "Here."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2013 0:25:48 GMT -6

"But — "

Hyuk-jae kept talking, looking really uncomfortable and dejected. Nagisa kept trying to cut in, but once Hyuk-jae turned his back again to cook, he deflated. Looking down at the book in his hands, Nagisa shuffled back to the couch and flopped onto it. He lay haphazardly, half on and half off, flipping through the page of the now-controversial tome. Hyuk-jae had it all wrong.

Growing bored of flipping through pages, Nagisa went back into the kitchen, book-less, just in time for Hyuk-jae to hand him a bowl of stir fry. "Thanks," he said quietly, sitting in his customary spot at the kitchen table. A few moments of silent eating went by.

"I DON'T LIKE GIRLS," Nagisa suddenly burst out, a little more loudly than he intended. He flushed. "Ah, sorry, I mean... I don't — don't like girls." He dropped his gaze, fixing it on a little onion that had stuck to the side of the bowl. "My comics are all girls-and-boys romances because I don't know where to find boys-and-boys romance comics. Most of the boys-and-boys stories at the comic shop are about friendship and amazing adventures and danger and stuff. I don't... I don't really like reading those things."

He took another bite, talking around the food. "I was just embarrassed. No one really knows about my comics or anything at work, and since ... since the cover looks a little, um, silly, I thought you were making fun of me. Especially when you were laughing about it with Yoshida..."

Nagisa fell silent, staring at his food, squirming uncomfortably. "It... it's not that I don't want to read it," he added, his voice no louder than a whisper.
This user is Mod