The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Disastrous Dates [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Jun 12, 2012 14:01:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 12, 2012 14:01:27 GMT -6

Jin Ho had actually yelled at Mrs. Jeon, something he hardly ever did. He had gotten in shots about her need to respect and appreciate her daughter as well as shots about how she ought to have known better than to set Hoshi up with a man "like that". It hadn't started out with yelling, but when Mrs. Jeon had insinuated that what had happened was all Jin Ho's fault because he hadn't married Hoshi, the policeman had lost his temper. It was regrettable, but he refused to apologize. He didn't feel that he was wrong, and obviously, Hoshi didn't either.

"That's it?"

Jin Ho squirmed a little. Of course she'd probe! She was his best friend! But still, he felt a little uncomfortable. Truthfully he was sure he'd been awkward and that Mizu hadn't had a good time at all.

"Nothing? No kiss? No hug, even? Are you seeing each other again?"

"No," he said, focusing on his soup. "No kiss. No hugging. We held hands? Uh — I'm supposed to see him again, but he's working this week, and so am I..." they hadn't made specific plans. Was that a bad sign? Were they supposed to make specific plans? When she asked if they had had fun, Jin Ho nodded. It was fun. Nerve-wracking, but fun. He'd enjoyed himself. It was a nice time. He couldn't be sure if Mizu agreed, though.

The young man shrugged uncomfortably when asked about the discussion of the accident. "I didn't go into details," Jin Ho said, one hand idly tugging on the end of his braid. He always did that when nervous. "It, um — he was nice about it, I guess," he said. "I told him I have nightmares, and he asked about them, but I wasn't really very... specific." It had always been difficult for him to express his feelings about his nightmares, even when he could remember them. It was hard to know what to say when asked. "I guess at least he knows now? But it's — it's fine. I'm sure it's fine."

He focused on his soup again. He wasn't sure it was fine at all, actually, but one could hope.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 13, 2012 21:17:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hoshi frowned, finishing off the last of her jjigae and egg. Jin Ho's nervousness seemed to be rubbing off on her. She really wanted something to work out between him and Mizu! She knew her jealousy was just a base, selfish emotion, and genuinely wished the two the best with the purest intentions.

"I'm sure it's fine," she echoed, trying to think. There had to be a way to draw Mizu out of his shell. Or at least talk to him about Jin Ho. Hoshi didn't think her friend would appreciate it, though, if she went behind his back about it. The woman looked to Sweeper, and the old pooch thumped his tail once at her attention. She smiled fondly, and found herself wishing he could talk. She knew the dog had Jin Ho's happiness in mind — he was a dog after all; maybe he (if he could talk) could brainstorm with her on how to bring the two men closer together.

Hoshi gathered her dishes and put them in the sink, rinsing them briefly with some warm water. "You know," she told Jin Ho, "I wouldn't be surprised if Mizu seems more... experienced because he keeps things superficial. He's probably just as uncertain and nervous as you." Drying her hands on a nearby towel, Hoshi turned to her friend and smiled. "So don't worry too much, okay?"

Suddenly, she could hear the faint sounding of the clock tower outside. "Oh, gosh!" she exclaimed, counting the peals. "I didn't realise it was so late!" She put down the towel and gave Jin Ho a kiss on the cheek. "I need to get back home and sleep, I promised umma I'd do a supply run for the shop before we opened." She pulled on her sweater. "I really hate to eat and run, but I've got to get going if I want to get a cab home. Love you!" With an apologetic smile and a wave, Hoshi let herself out.

OOC: Please don't lock/archive; this personal thread's continuation is pending some events on the main boards.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 15, 2012 20:10:23 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 13, 2012 2:49:46 GMT -6

It wasn't until two nights after Mizu's costume party that Hoshi and Jin Ho were able to have their long-needed talk. Feeling a little guilty over the whole situation, Hoshi had invited the metalbender to her flat, promising a lovely meal and the whole story out in the open. They agreed to meet for dinner, and Hoshi's workday flew by at the prospect of spending time with Jin Ho - the first 'alone' time they had gotten in weeks. She begged her mother to let her leave early, and explaining the situation Mrs. Jeon readily agreed, practically shooing her out of the store. Umma didn't like Mizu for "stealing" her "son-in-law", so she was more than happy to let Hoshi go talk about his second trip to the Lotus Café.

She arrived home with almost an hour to spare; they had agreed to meet for a dinner at seven PM, and it was now six-oh-five. Hoshi quickly showered and dressed, taking care to put her hair in curlers as she did her makeup and prepared for the meal. For simplicity's sake, she had decided on samgyeopsal, so preparations were minimal: prepare the tea, cut the cowpig belly meat and vegetables, put out chili paste, and (because she just hated eating protein alone) cook an averaged-sized clay pot of rice. She also prepared the metal hotplate, to be used for grilling the meat to their liking as they ate.

Removing the curlers from her hair and just quickly fluffing out the resulting waves, Hoshi looked around at her flat in approval. Everything was clean and in the right place, just as she liked it. Glancing at the clock, she was surprised to see that she had only ten minutes before Jin Ho arrived. She looked at her outfit, a very conservative drop-waist skirt and blouse, and decided to change. Shuffling through her closet, she found a vibrant, olive-green pleated skirt she hadn't worn in months. Luckily, it fit, and Hoshi noted with pleasure that it brought out her eyes. She changed into a slightly ruffled cream blouse, and pinned her hair back with a faux-emerald-adorned bobby pin. Deciding to go the extra mile, she added small, studded earrings, also featuring one faux emerald stone a piece.

Feeling satisfied with her appearance, Hoshi made her way back into the living room and picked up the latest issue of Probending Digest, flipping with interest through the biographies of teams who were participating this season: The Dragon-Hawks, The Flying Koi, the Armadillo-Wolves, The Purple Pentapusses...

The knock at the door startled her, but she quickly recognised the familiar rap. "It's open!" she called out.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 13, 2012 8:12:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 13, 2012 8:12:35 GMT -6

It was a shame he'd been so busy. Had Jin Ho known he had a story to hear about, he might've made more time to come have dinner with Hoshi — but then again, maybe not. This business with Amon and the Equalists was keeping him up at night, especially with Sweeper gone. He was working extra and felt very Serious all the time, constantly worrying about the safety of the city. It wasn't good for him and his already-nervous nature.

Jin Ho arrived promptly for dinner, still in uniform and coming straight from the station. He looked a little worn out, but he still smiled as he came through the door. "Hi," he said, carefully taking off his boots. "Sorry if I'm late — I came straight here, I didn't get a chance to look at the time..." Hopefully he wasn't.

Truthfully, hearing that Mizu and Hoshi had already met and no one had had the courtesy to mention it to him had hurt Jin Ho's feelings. They were very important people in his life! Didn't they know that? How could they not tell him something so monumental? Surely they hadn't met on purpose? Fidgeting with his braid, the young man came to sit down at the table, where food was already waiting.

He hugged her before he sat, of course. Obviously.

"So," said Jin Ho, looking at his oldest friend with almost-faux suspicion. "I think you have some explaining to do, don't you?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 14, 2012 0:15:37 GMT -6

"You're not late," Hoshi reassured him with a smile. She stood at his arrival, setting down her magazine on end-table and returning his hug before serving him tea. Jin Ho sat down, and looked at her with a little suspicious look. Her conscience nagged at her, and Hoshi served her self tea as he spoke.

I think you have some explaining to do, don't you?

Time for the truth. Hoshi took a deep breath, then sat down, keeping her hands busy with arranging the plates and putting some meat on the hot plate to start cooking as she spoke. "I am sorry I didn't tell you sooner," she apologised again. "Meeting him wasn't something I went out of my way to do." She plopped down some more meat on the grill, the slightly fatty slices sizzling as it hit the hot metal. "He ... came into the shop. I didn't know it was him at first."

Using some jeo fiddle with the meat, Hoshi sighed. "Sweetheart, he came in drunk." Jin Ho would know the little patience she had for her drunk patrons; she almost wished they didn't stock restorative teas, since the shop became a magnet for people looking to "cure" their self-induced ailments. She looked up from her cooking to meet his eyes, and her face was a little sad. "It wasn't fated to be a good meeting, in any case, from that alone." She flipped the meat over, then set the jeo down on a small metal resting bar. Folding her hand in front of her, Hoshi gave a little shrug.

"I think he would have left without me discovering his identity if Umma hadn't come in to check up on me," Hoshi admitted. "He was so ... surly and ill-tempered that I wouldn't have guessed he was your ..." She trailed off. What WERE they? "... your Mizu."

The first round of meat was done, and Hoshi put some on Jin Ho's plate first, and then her own, before adding a few more slices to the grill. "He did not make a good impression on me." Her mouth tightened into a thin line, remembering his rudeness. "And he was playing games. Asking me what I had heard about him." Hoshi jabbed at the grilling meat a little viciously. Hoshi didn't gossip; things had a way of coming back to you. She resented, a little, Mizu asking her instead of Jin Ho what had been said.

Looking up, Hoshi forced herself to look Jin Ho in the eyes. "I told him he was messing up with you," she said bluntly, then held up her free hand to stop him from speaking. "I want nothing more than your happiness, you know that. But I saw that he was hurting you, and that it was not going well. I told him to show his love, without you having to ask him to do." The woman looked up, her eyes misting over a little. She was regretting her brashness, now. Maybe she made a mistake.

"I did not think that he had listened to me," she confessed, looking back down at the food. "When you told me that you had a nightmare when Sweeper... left us... and that he did nothing, I was so angry, and so hurt for you."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 19, 2012 21:06:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 19, 2012 21:06:15 GMT -6

Jin Ho sighed and picked up his cup of tea, wrapping his fingers around it. The meat smelled delicious as it sizzled in between them, and he found himself gazing at it instead of his friend.

"Sweetheart, he came in drunk. It wasn't fated to be a good meeting, in any case, from that alone."

Jin Ho tilted his head a little. "We've talked about his problem," he said softly. "I already know about it. Nobody's perfect, are they?" He certainly had his own problems. What kind of man would want to date someone like him, who'd keep them up at night with dreams and screaming? He couldn't use vehicles! Jin Ho knew very well that he had no business judging anyone for their problems when he had so many of his own. He rubbed the back of his neck as Hoshi continued talking.

"He was so ... surly and ill-tempered that I wouldn't have guessed he was your ... your Mizu."

The policeman smiled a little, finding her pause funny. "I don't know what we are, either," he said. He gingerly ate some of the grilled meat as she went on, talking about what an awful impression Mizu had made on her. It wasn't surprising, really. Anyone who came in drunk automatically got on Hoshi's bad side, normally, and she did have a bit of a temper. She'd always been like that. It was almost — almost — amusing to the young policeman when he thought about it.

Almost. When she said that she'd told Mizu that he was messing up when it came to Jin Ho, the young man opened his mouth to say something but held back when she raised her hand.

"I want nothing more than your happiness, you know that. But I saw that he was hurting you, and that it was not going well. I told him to show his love, without you having to ask him to do."

Jin Ho ground his teeth together. While he appreciated that she cared so much about his happiness, it wasn't really her place to go talking to a man he wasn't even officially dating about how to do right by him. His green eyes were bright and a little angry. "That wasn't your place to say," Jin Ho said. He stabbed a piece of meat with his own brand of viciousness, now unsure of how angry he ought to be with her. Hoshi had really overstepped her bounds this time. He was surprised, but he wasn't sure what was more surprising — the fact that Hoshi so obviously hated Mizu or the fact that he was surprised that things had turned out this way. If he'd thought about it for more than a moment, it should have been obvious that she'd hate him.

"I did not think he had listened to me... When you told me that you had a nightmare when Sweeper left us and that he did nothing, I was so angry, and so hurt for you."

Pulling his braid a little, the metalbender sighed. "I was hurt for myself," he said. "I can tell people for myself when I feel that way." He knew that she didn't believe him, and likely she thought he'd never stand up for himself when it counted. But Jin Ho had discussed that with Mizu, hadn't he? Sure, that night hadn't been just wonderful, but it wasn't the worse thing that had ever happened to him either, right? Focusing on his food, Jin Ho fell silent.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 19, 2012 23:15:22 GMT -6

Jin Ho's words cut her more deeply than a knife wound. He fell silent, staring at his food; Hoshi put her hands in her lap and gripped her skirt. She had wronged him; she had been too arrogant, and she had hurt his feelings, going against what she knew would be his wishes.

"I was just trying to help," she murmured miserably, feeling quite sorry. It was true, Mizu had definitely rubbed her the wrong way at their first meeting, but it wasn't like she hated him. But she did think he was definitely messing up, and less than deserving of Jin Ho's affection. But Jin Ho obviously cared for him — why, she'd never know — so as his friend why shouldn't she help? How could she just stand by, knowing that things were going badly, and allow Jin Ho to have his heartbroken when it was in her power to try and prevent it? A lump formed in her throat, and Hoshi found she couldn't eat. Standing, she excused herself from the table. "I have to use the restroom, I'll be back in a moment."

She walked down the hall quickly, making sure to keep her face downcast so Jin Ho wouldn't see her cry. Hoshi couldn't bear the thought of Jin Ho being cross with her. She looked into the bathroom mirror, green eyes staring back at her with a look of misery. Her brow furrowed, and she angrily squeezed her eyes shut to wring them of their tears. She hated crying. Running the water to muffle her sniffling, Hoshi wet a small corner of hand cloth and dabbed at her eyes; her eye liner was running a bit. Going back to the table without bothering to fix it would just tell Jin Ho that she had been crying, and she did not want to seem as if she were trying to make him feel guilty.

Once she had steadied herself, Hoshi came back to the table, determined to put things right. Stopping to pour Jin Ho more tea, she addressed him in what she hoped was a relatively calm voice. "Please forgive me." The earthbender was blunt; there was no use in trying to beat around the bush. "You seem upset over this, and I think I have gone too far. For that, I am truly sorry." She put the hot water down and stepped back, bowing a little to Jin Ho. "I only acted out of worry for you, acted so that you could be happy. How could I stand by and let you be hurt?"

Hoshi kept her eyes on the floor. "I did not mean to hurt you, I was only trying to look out for you." Because I love you, she added silently.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 19, 2012 23:17:46 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 29, 2012 1:14:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 29, 2012 1:14:38 GMT -6

"You were just trying to help," Jin Ho repeated, eyes on the table. "Because why, Hoshi? You don't trust me?" She got up and left the table and he immediately regretted those words, knowing that she was going to go cry in the bathroom. Even though she didn't want him to see it, he knew what was happening. He'd known her for too long and too intimately to think anything else could be going on. He hadn't meant to make her cry. Even if what she did was wrong, he still felt unable to stay angry with her.

"I only acted out of worry for you, acted so that you could be happy. How could I stand by and let you be hurt?"

Jin Ho wrapped his hands around the cup of tea and looked at her, silently for a moment. When he finally spoke, his words were soft. "Hurting," he said, "is a part of human relationships. No one is perfect. Mizu hasn't always done right by me, and I'm sure that I haven't always done right by him, either. Isn't that normal? Give and take is healthy in a relationship." Nothing was good one hundred percent of the time. Didn't Hoshi remember how often her own parents had fought? And their marriage had been as solid as bedrock. Jin Ho's parents weren't always perfect, but they were happy. He thought if he could achieve relationships like those he'd seen growing up, well... he'd be doing quite well.

"I did not mean to hurt you, I was only trying to look out for you."

Jin Ho reached out, ruffling her hair and smiling gently. "I'm a grown man, Hoshi," he reminded her. "I can look out for myself. Let me handle my relationship with Mizu. But I appreciate your caring." He brushed his thumb tenderly across her cheek. "Come on. Let's eat. It smells delicious and I'm starving. I forgive you, so don't give me that sad little camelephant face." Pulling his hand back he focused on the food, taking lettuce and onion and extra kimchi to eat with the meat. Jin Ho tended to use a lot of spicy pepper paste with his samgyeopsal, and tonight was no exception. Popping a crispy piece of the meat into his mouth with a sliver of garlic and some onion, he closed his eyes. It was delicious. "Mmmm," he said, after he'd swallowed. "You always know what to make."

After pulling extra shifts and the worry over Amon, homecooked food like that he'd grown up with was a perfect comfort. Hoshi's flat in general was a comforting place — the smell of it was familiar and sweet, almost like coming home to his own place. He'd spent such wonderful times there. He remembered when she moved in, bringing over food and having a veritable feast of soju and ddeokbokki and roasted corn and mandu. They'd built a blanket fort and celebrated her 'moving on with her life'. The young man smiled fondly remembering it as he ate in her dining room, quiet stretching between them.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 29, 2012 11:58:34 GMT -6

Hoshi smiled in relief, nodding her agreement to drop the subject, relishing the feel of Jin Ho's touch on her skin. She took a big bite, enjoying the taste but enjoying Jin Ho's reaction more. They ate in a comfortable silence for a little while, and Hoshi realised just how much she had missed spending time with him. The scent of the samgyeopsal mingled with the scent of clean linens and her lavender-scented candles, and Jin Ho's customary sandlewood. It smelled like home, and she was grateful that she had opted to get candles that the shopkeep said had a 'light' scent. It wasn't overpowering, and it didn't clash with the food she cooked.

Then she remembered something important. "Oh!" How could she forget to tell him this Very Important Thing? She leaned in, her green eyes shining. "I made a new friend," she said, a smile spreading across her face. "She's ... well, she's kind of young, but she's really smart, and very sweet. Came into the shop right before closing, holding a probending flyer." Hoshi giggled. "It seemed like fate. And she was looking for a job, and I was figuring that I might need help with the shop soon." Hoshi smiled, remembering.

"And she's a probending fan! I'm going to go ask her parents if we can go to the probending match next week!" She took a sip of tea, then held the cup in her hands, drumming her fingertips against the ceramic as she talked. "It's the last match before the finals, so it's possibly my last chance to see the Wolf-Bats play, unless they make it to the championships." Hopefully Jin Ho wouldn't mind — she couldn't see why he would, seeing as he wasn't a huge fan of the Arena.

"Her name's Sohee. Maybe you two could meet each other, sometime."
This user is Mod