The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Disastrous Dates [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
May 22, 2012 22:56:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 22, 2012 22:56:00 GMT -6

After drinking the genmaicha he'd bought from Mrs. Jeon and staring miserably out his window, Jin Ho decided to go and see his best friend. His flat was small and lonely and now entirely too tidy. Hoshi's flat was always warm and inviting. So he walked in the rain to Hoshi's flat, hands in his pockets. By the time he arrived, of course, he was soaking wet and as miserable as ever.

He knocked on the door as usual, the quick-three-knocks they'd used since they were children. His mint-green jumper was heavy with rain. Jin Ho felt... hurt, and stupid, and lonely, and he just wanted to not be alone. When Hoshi opened the door, he was sure she would take one look at him and just know.

They had promised each other anyway, hadn't they, about romance? He owed it to her, anyway. Jin Ho knew that he needed to break the news to his best friend before she heard it from anywhere else — or worse, saw him out with Mizu. He hoped it wasn't too late now. After all, he had taken the man to her mother's tea house. And while it had been years since that talk and Jin Ho hadn't really ever had the need to tell her he had a date before... well, he had the need now.

When the door opened, Jin Ho smiled a helpless smile. "Hi," he said.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 22, 2012 23:59:09 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
It was a dismal, rainy day in Republic City. The kind of day that made her just want to stay at home and curl up on her bed with a good book and a hot cup of tea. Maybe she could 'phone Narook's later for some delivery. His seaweed noodles really were the best in town. She stared out the window, lazing about on her bed, watching the rain splatter against the panes of glass. Absently, her mind turned to him. It always did, inevitably... no matter what she was doing.

Almost as if on cue, there came a rapid set of knocks at the door: onetwothree. She knew that knock, and her heart soared as she sprung from the mattress and ran to the door. She stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. Even years later, she got butterflies whenever she saw him. With a quick check in the mirror to make sure her hair wasn't a mess, Hoshi opened the door for her best friend and unrequited love, Jin Ho.

"You're soaked!" she said by way of greeting, pulling him inside and out of the rain. "Now what's wrong?" The woman held out her hands for his coat. She knew that tone of voice, that dismal note that meant Jin Ho was having a bad day. He'd have to be, to walk through the pouring rain to her flat instead of 'phoning her.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 23, 2012 0:14:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 23, 2012 0:14:44 GMT -6

Jin Ho handed over his coat and pulled his jumper off over his head, going to wring it out in Hoshi's kitchen sink. What difference would it make? He was cold with or without a shirt on. Hoshi asked what was wrong as she took his coat and he just laughed, shaking his head.

"I am an idiot, Hoshi," he said, squeezing rain water out of his jumper. "And I think I just had the worst day since... since I don't know when." Pulling the wet jumper back on over his head, he shivered a little. He felt cold from the inside out.

Not wanting to sit on his friend's furniture in wet clothing, Jin Ho paced a little, boots squishing. "So you know," he said, hands gesturing idly as he spoke, "how I got that new beat, and everything..." slowly the story began to spill out of him: going into The Serpent's Head, wanting to support the shops on his new route. He told her about seeing Mizu behind the bar and feeling compelled to sit down.

"I just, I don't know — you know I hadn't really... decided about all that stuff, but I just felt like I had to talk to him, you know?" Jin Ho toyed with the end of his long braid. "He has really pretty eyes..." Everything about the Waterbender was attractive to Jin Ho. He'd noticed the man's long fingers and shaggy hair and....

He told her about how Mizu had asked him to dinner and how obviously upsetting it was that it was so obvious, about his preferences, that someone who just met him could suss it out so quickly. Did she think his parents knew? What if they did? Why hadn't anyone said anything? Because of his nervous tendencies, Jin Ho was a little worked up, and it showed. Was it more upsetting that he'd been asked? Or was it more upsetting that he had so desperately wanted to say yes?

Before long Jin Ho told her about how he'd chanced upon Mizu again at the park, how it felt like fate, and how he'd taken the man to Hoshi's parents cafe. Mrs. Jeon had seen them together. "But it wasn't a date," he said quickly. "At first." It had rapidly turned into one, one that had quickly gone very far downhill as Mizu had asked about what kind of man Jin Ho was interested in.

"I mean, h-how do you even answer that?" the policeman asked his oldest friend, feeling confused. "I — I don't even know if I know the answer! What would you have said? What kind of man are you interested in?" Jin Ho ran his hands over the top of his hair. Of course, it went without saying that part of the emotional burden of all this was the simple fact that Jin Ho was mostly convinced that he would be alone forever. That wasn't helping at all.
Last edit by Deleted: May 23, 2012 0:41:20 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 23, 2012 1:31:49 GMT -6

His laugh was bitter, and a pang of sympathy clutched at her chest. Hoshi smiled tenderly as she pulled a towel from a hallway closet and handed it to Jin Ho without a word. As he spoke, the young woman rummaged around and found him a basin big enough to soak his feet in. She filled it with the left over water from her tea, mixing in some cold water so it wasn't too hot. Carefully, she set it at his feet just as he spoke of this man's pretty eyes.

Another pang went through her chest, and she kept her eyes downcast for a moment as she regained her composure. They had agreed, hadn't they, about talking with each other about this sort of thing... but it still hurt, to know that the one and only person she loved so dearly was looking at other people. Other men.

Jin Ho kept talking, his voice becoming more agitated as he laid a barrage of questions at her — did she think his parents knew? Was it obvious? Why wasn't anyone saying anything? — and Hoshi just shook her head and smiled gently, moving back into the kitchen and putting on a fresh pot of water for more tea. Clearly, her love was going to need a refreshing, soothing cup. Pulling open the cupboard next to the stove, Hoshi's green eyes scanned the different tins, every so often pausing to pick out a particular leaf that had relaxing properties.

He quickly assured her that whatever had happened after taking the man — this "Mizu" — to her family's shop had been unintentional, that it hadn't started out as a date. He also mentioned her mother had seen them together. Hoshi groaned inwardly. There were some things that her mother asked Too Many Questions about, and Jin Ho's activities with other people when she wasn't around was her favourite.

The tea kettle whistled, and Hoshi turned off the heat, pouring the steaming water over the dried tea leaf mixture, watching them bloom to life as they re-hydrated in the strainer. She let the tea steep as Jin Ho stammered out about how Mizu had asked him about his tastes in men.

He then turned to her, his face a portrait of utter confusion, as he tried to make sense of his feelings. She looked at him, smiling gently with a hint of sadness, as Jin Ho asked her what her preferences were.

Hoshi didn't answer right away. Instead, she tapped the excess water from the tea strainer, reusing the leaves to pour herself a cup. She picked both mugs up and went back into the sitting area, setting the drinks down on the table. She sat on the sofa, and tugged at Jin Ho's arm for him to join her. "Don't worry about the furniture," she told him, and handed him his mug.

Picking up her own cup, she turned it around in her hands, her gazed fixed on a lone tea leaf stem floating in the hot liquid. "What kind of man am I interested in?" she finally repeated, her voice soft.

"He has to be kind, and gentle," Hoshi could feel her heart drumming through her ears. She had to be careful of what she said. Normally, she wouldn't have cared, but this was Jin Ho, the person she treasured above all else. She was going to be supportive of him, even if it killed her. "He has to be quick to smile." The woman looked up, attempting to smile at her love — her friend, too — as brightly as she could. "He must be forgiving and accepting. He must be strong, in more than just the literal sense."

He has to be you, she finished silently.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 23, 2012 1:50:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 23, 2012 1:50:22 GMT -6

Jin Ho wrapped his hands around the mug, sitting on his friend's sofa as told. Already he felt warmer, his heart cheered by Hoshi's presence. He closed his eyes and breathed in the steam from the tea. She always knew how to fix things. The herbal scent of the tea was calming and he had no doubt the beverage would be the same. Ever since the accident, Hoshi had always kept that type of tea on hand.

Her answers about what kind of man she'd like sounded, to Jin Ho, perfect. Someone kind and strong and cheerful. That was kind of man Hoshi deserved — Jin Ho had yet to meet anyone who could possibly hope to be good enough for her. Hoshi was like a princess. Every man Jin Ho had ever met was just... she was just out of their league. Every single one of them. He knew someday she'd find someone she cared for, but as for him... Jin Ho thought he might never think anyone could deserve her.

"I said," he began, after she had finished, "that I... would want someone Sweeper liked. And I ... want someone to come home to, somebody that would... you know, comfort me when I have nightmares or not mind staying at home and doing nothing because they just enjoy my company, or just...." the young man sighed and set his mug down, flopping over to rest his head in Hoshi's lap. "Your answers were so much better than mine."

She was the only person besides his parents who had ever touched his hair.

"I guess it's stupid stuff. I don't know." Jin Ho closed his eyes, burrowing his face against his oldest friend. "Who am I kidding? I don't know anything about love, do I?" He couldn't possibly know what he'd want. He had nothing to base it on. Kissing one boy when he was nineteen was not a basis for knowing about romance. "He ran away. That's what happened."

The metalbender told his oldest friend about how Mizu had just... frozen up at the talk of love and after asking what kind of man Jin Ho would want, the Waterbender had basically run away. Jin Ho had completely scared him off, because Jin Ho was stupid, and he couldn't lie. All he could do was be honest, and that hadn't gotten him anywhere. It was little wonder though, right? Because Jin Ho was sure that a man like that would likely not be interested in someone as nervous and inexperienced as himself.

He sighed softly again, winding his fingers around hers. "I love you," he said, feeling the muscles in his back relax.
Last edit by Deleted: May 23, 2012 1:53:47 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 23, 2012 18:14:13 GMT -6

Jin Ho flopped his head into her lap, and her heart flip-flopped. She ran her fingers through his hair soothingly. It was a comfortable, familiar position. "I don't think my answers are better," she said, smiling down at him. "Your answers don't seem bad at all." Jin Ho buried his face into her, and said, muffled against her clothes, that Mizu had run away.

The soft, warm feelings Hoshi had were quickly replaced by indignation and anger. "He ran away?" she echoed in disbelief. Further outcries were stopped when Jin Ho softly continued, telling her about how they talked of love and the kind of man he wanted, and how he had scared Mizu away. His voice was filled with anguish, uncertainty, and Hoshi's heart broke for him. Jin Ho sighed, and wound his fingers around hers. She squeezed his hand gently.

"I love you."

Those three little words, so innocently spoken and innocently meant, were like a twisting knife in her soul. Her vision blurred as she stared at her hand, still rhythmically stroking his hair. The comforting gesture was as much for her as it was for him, and it was all Hoshi could do not to cry. It had been years since that fateful night, the night she had let him go. She had struggled for years to maintain that balance of friendship, to keep her feelings in check, like shutting a door to close out the sound of a leaking tap.

Yes, Hoshi had come to terms with Jin Ho seeing other people and knowing that as much as she loved him and he loved her, that it wasn't the same love both ways. But coming to terms and accepting it as fact didn't negate the sorrow in her heart when something called attention to it. She hadn't expected it to affect her this much, when Jin Ho finally found someone he was interested in.

Perhaps you should find one too, whispered a nagging voice inside her head. She ignored it.

She looked down at Jin Ho, smiling sadly. "I love you, too."

Hoshi looked up at the ceiling, blinking back tears. Her voice was even when she spoke again. "I was planning on calling out for some seaweed noodles; would you like some too? We can talk about this Mizu over some of Narook's cooking and figure out how to get him back."

She squeezed his hand. She would support him, she reaffirmed to herself, no matter what.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 23, 2012 18:33:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 23, 2012 18:33:18 GMT -6

"Yeah, you know, ran away. Because I'm socially awkward and weird, or whatever." Jin Ho laughed a little more, this time less bitterly. It felt better, sharing it with Hoshi. It mattered less. At least he would always have her.

Well. He would until she found someone who probably wouldn't be good enough for her but that she would want to marry anyway. Then... Jin Ho would just have to buy a lot of cats. He could see it now, his life as an elderly retired man, living in his small flat surrounded by cats and pictures of his friends' children because he didn't have any of his own. Besides the cats.

So many cats.

Not for the first time, Jin Ho found himself desperately wishing he were attracted to women. Their lives could have been so perfect by now — married, children, owning the teahouse and living together. He knew that he and Hoshi would have made a perfect match but for one thing: she wasn't a man. Or maybe that should be framed to say 'but for one thing: he didn't like women'. Jin Ho knew whose fault it all was.

When she asked about ordering from Narook's, he shook his head. "You go on and get something for you," said the policeman, "but it's not in my budget this time." Turning his head a little, he pressed a kiss into her palm. "Thanks. I'll get off you now and dry off some, okay? I don't want to soak your sofa."

Getting up, Jin Ho wrapped the towel around his long braid and squeezed it a little to get some of the water out. Sometimes he had a pair of clothes at Hoshi's house, but he couldn't remember if he had any now. At the very least he removed his boots and set them by the radiator to dry. "I'm fine with the tea," he said. And as for Mizu...

Jin Ho shook his head. "We don't have to talk about him," he said. "Really. I guess I should be like you and have standards, right? And any man who asks me a question like that but then runs away when he gets the answer isn't right for me, right?" That seemed like the kind of thing Hoshi would say. Truthfully Jin Ho was loathe to think that it was anything but his own fault, but Hoshi was a fiery girl with fiery thoughts, and he knew how to appeal to her.

"We can talk about anything else," he said.
Last edit by Deleted: May 23, 2012 18:36:31 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 24, 2012 1:33:58 GMT -6

Jin Ho would be the death of her.

His lips pressed against her hand, sending shivers down her spine. He stood and thanked her, moving away from the sofa and drying his hair with a towel. Hoshi laughed dismissively. "It's just a sofa," she said. "And if you want something from Narook's, I can take care of it. You can just buy next time." She stood too, and went to a little end table where the telephone sat. She pulled open a drawer and started rummaging. "I think I have a card here somewhere..."

When Jin Ho said something about talking about anything but Mizu, it worried her. "Are you sure?" she asked, still rummaging through the drawer; it was good to have something to keep her busy while she talked about this, something to do with her hands. It kept her from thinking about the hurt she felt. "That doesn't sound like you. And you wouldn't be this frazzled about it if you didn't want to see him again." Finally finding her quarry, Hoshi snapped up the card and picked up the phone. Resting the hand piece between her shoulder and her cheek, she poised her finger over the rotary dial and looked at him. "I'll just get you your usual and you can eat it later if you get hungry."

With a few quick turns of the dial, an operator's voice crackled to life on the other end. "Yes, hello?" Hoshi said, slightly annoyed at the tin-like quality of sound. "Could you connect me to Narook's Seaweed Noodlery, please?" She glanced at Jin Ho and rolled her eyes at the wait, tapping her foot impatiently as she waited for someone on the other end to pick up.

"Yes, hello? HELLO?" she raised her voice to be heard over the din on the other end. "Yes, could I get two of the specials please, to be sent to Hoshi Jeon's flat?" She paused for a moment, answering a few questions to the person on the other end. After agreeing to the total, Hoshi gave directions to her flat.

Hanging up the hand set, she turned to Jin Ho. "I think I have a change of clothes you can fit in?" The woman motioned for him to follow her. Once in her room, she knelt and started rummaging through drawers. "Let's see... I have a pair of pants and a sleeveless shirt?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 24, 2012 1:56:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2012 1:56:13 GMT -6

Ugh. Sometimes it was hard to have someone know you so well. Of course Jin Ho wanted to see him again. He wanted to see quite a bit more of him, double entendre and all. He bit his lower lip for a moment and waited as Hoshi ordered the food.

Noodles did sound good. He could certainly eat. Mrs. Jeon was always saying he was 'too thin' — even though in reality Jin Ho was a very average-slim for his profession. The officer followed his friend into her room, gratefully accepting the trousers and sleeveless shirt. Dry clothes would be good.

Jin Ho peeled off his shirt, which was still quite wet, and gingerly set it on the radiator for a moment. The sleeveless top went on, pulled quickly over his head, and he shivered a bit. Goosebumps broke out over his skin as he picked up the shirt and stepped into the other room to change trousers. All his wet things got hung in the bathroom to dry, and he sat down again to unpick his braid and sort his hair out.

Jin Ho had long hair like his father. Thick and black like India ink, it nearly reached his waist when the braid was all unravelled. Making a face, the man pulled fingers through the wet, snaky waves. "Yuck. Rain water feels disgusting." It always made his hair feel dirty. This meant, of course, that he'd have to wash it off-schedule. Why hadn't he used some sort of rain gear? Stupid Jin Ho!

As he gently squeezed more water out of his hair, Jin Ho looked back up at Hoshi. "You're right, you know," he said. "As usual. About Mizu, I mean — I do want to see him again." He bit his lip again, green eyes bright. "I feel so stupid, though. I am clearly not prepared for dating. At all."

What would he do if someone asked him to take a cab somewhere? What if Mizu met him again and wanted to? He'd have to freak the man out all over again, explaining the accident and his stupid fear of vehicles and the dreaming... Jin Ho didn't want to do any of that. He wanted to lie in bed with someone stroking his hair and holding him close. Was that a lot to ask?

It felt like a lot to ask. Jin Ho sighed. "I'm going to be an old cat person," he said to Hoshi, with conviction.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 24, 2012 10:40:34 GMT -6

"Of course I'm right," she said laughing, not unkindly. "Here, use a comb, not your fingers." She had always admired, from a non-romantic point of view, Jin Ho's hair. It was long and thick and luscious, black like coal but with the sheen of healthy hair. Well, at least, when it wasn't wet and bedraggled.

She sat next to him, patting his knee. "You're not stupid," she gently chided him. "It's hard, putting yourself out there. Especially when things don't exactly, you know, turn out great." Hoshi winked knowingly. The gesture felt a little alien to her. She wasn't really the winking kind, but it was better than the alternative of crying at the memories. The woman turned and leaned against him, her green eyes scanning the ceiling. "But the important thing is that you try. Maybe they call it falling in love because it hurts, yeah? ... That's something my mother told me once." It hadn't helped much at the time, really, but it did at least make some semblance of sense. Whether or not that was actually true was another matter entirely. Falling in love did hurt, whether it was at the start, or in the middle, or at the end of the relationship. Or all through out.

Hoshi remembered asking, like a little child seeking their parents' humanity, if her mother had ever been hurt. Her mother had smiled at her, stroked her hair, and told her a little story about a boy she had met before her father. It was an old story, one who's sting had all but gone. Her mother never saw the boy again after that, but for years she had carried the hurt inside, until she met her father and the rest had been history.

A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts. Excusing herself just as Jin Ho was saying something about being an old cat person, Hoshi went to answer it, stopping briefly to pick up her pocketbook. After a few moments, she returned with a few stacked tray-boxes, the smell of freshly cooked seaweed noodles filling the flat with a pleasant and appetising aroma. She had never been to the Southern Water Tribe, and she would likely never do so, but if Narook's "authentic" noodles were any example of traditional Southern Water Tribe cuisine, she'd have to eat more kinds of it.

Setting the boxes down on the small table in the kitchen, Hoshi grabbed a couple of pairs of jeotgarak and started setting up the places. "You're hungry, yeah?" she called back to Jin Ho. It wasn't really a question. Hoshi knew, like she always did, that he would be hungry, especially now that the food was in the house. Separating the trays, she noted that Narook started including some rice and pickled vegetables with the special. Interesting. Hoshi leaned in a bit closer, eyeing the vegetables with some suspicion. What kind of vegetables grew in the Southern Water Tribe? By all accounts, it was an antarctic tundra, barren of vegetation. Ah well. She'd give Narook the benefit of the doubt and try it.

"Will you bring the cups over?" she called back, putting the finishing touches on the table. "Let's eat before this gets cold — we can figure out how to save you from being a cranky old cat person while we eat."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 24, 2012 16:45:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2012 16:45:28 GMT -6

"Don't be silly," said Jin Ho, pushing the comb away. "You know I won't use someone else's comb in my hair." There was a very specific set of behaviours and rituals that went with hair in the Park family — it was cut at specific times, combed in specific ways, and the touching of it was an extremely intimate act. Jin Ho would never dream of using anyone else's comb in his hair, not even Hoshi's.

"But the important thing is that you try. Maybe they call it falling in love because it hurts, yeah? ... That's something my mother told me once."

The young policeman wasn't really so sure about that. "Actually," he said, "I kind of think that it might be better if I just stayed alone. Then no one would get hurt — not me, not my parents. Not you." He smiled a little. The knock on the door got his full attention immediately and he turned, but it was only the food. So he was a little on edge! He needed to relax.

"They're good," he said, as he noticed Hoshi inspecting the vegetables. "I promise. I don't know what they are, but they're good." He got the cups as she asked and chuckled as she stated her plan to try to figure out how to keep him from being an old cat person forever.

"It's okay." Jin Ho sat down, passing food back and forth with Hoshi. It did smell amazing. Food always helped, at least a little. Because he ran miles every morning and did his beat on foot, Jin Ho tended to burn through calories very quickly... and so he was always willing to replace them. Stretching, he brought his arms up over his head and his spine made a cracking sound. The young man made a face. "I'm getting old."

The two of them began to eat, and Jin Ho made funny faces with his vegetables on top of the plate of rice. Clearly, he had begun to cheer up. "I just thought he was really... pretty, you know?" he said suddenly, looking down at the smiling pickles. "I haven't really ever seen someone that I wanted to get to... know, so much." Well, and someone that he would like to see with so much less clothing on, but he didn't want to say that. It was a little embarrassing. But it was also completely true!

"Why is it that I'm really great at making friends," Jin Ho asked, "but really terrible at everything else?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 24, 2012 17:58:36 GMT -6

Hoshi had originally ignored that little self-depreciating statement about him hurting people, and she wasn't sure whether or not to bring it up. Yes, she had been hurt — still hurt — but it wasn't Jin Ho's fault. He couldn't help loving who he loved any more than she could help loving him.

As they sat down to eat, she giggled as Jin Ho stretched, causing his spine to pop. "Old-shmold," she dismissed it with a wave of her utensils. "If you're old, then I'm ancient, and I'm not ready to go down yet." Hoshi tentatively tasted the new vegetables, daintily nibbling off a small piece. As she mulled over its unusual taste and texture, she noticed Jin Ho organising the veggies on his rice into faces. Internally, a small part of her screamed in delight: ISN'T HE THE CUTEST THING?!

He started talking about how pretty he had found Mizu, and how he wanted to "get to know" him. Hoshi busied herself with arranging the noodles in her bowl. She was pretty sure that had a double entendre, and she wasn't quite ready to deal with that just yet. She slurped a mouthful of noodles to cover her silence.

"Why is it that I'm really great at making friends, but really terrible at everything else?

Hoshi peered up at her best friend and rolled her eyes. Holding up a finger to signal him to wait, she quickly chewed her noodles and swallowed, taking a sip of tea to wash down the food. "It's not that you're bad, sweetie," the woman informed him. "You just second guess if it's anything else." She waved her utensils around. "Like this Mizu thing. So he ran away... sounds like he's a playboy who opened up a can of worms he didn't expect. I know, it's not in your nature, but you could've gone after him, you know?" She took another nibble of the mysterious vegetable. Jin Ho was right. They were pretty good. She made a mental note to ask him Narook what they were next time she was in the shop. Hoshi waggled the veggie in Jin Ho's direction. "Anyway, he is still probably interested." Who wouldn't be? she added silently. "Now, do you know anything about him, like does he have a family name, or a place of business?" The woman tapped the metal sticks gently on her chin as she thought. "Invite him out again, by way of apology. Somewhere public this time, not so intimate. I have a couple of customers at the shop who are trying to get rid of a pair of Arena tickets — do you want me to get them for you?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 24, 2012 23:11:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2012 23:11:01 GMT -6

Jin Ho ate the smiley face and made a new shape, hearts this time.

Now, do you know anything about him, like does he have a family name, or a place of business?

"He's a bartender at one of the places on my beat," the man said. As for his surname, he had no idea. That was easy to find out, though, especially since he'd seen Nakura-ssi coming out of the bar. Likely he could just ask his fellow officer. In fact, that's what he should likely do... when Hoshi suggested inviting him out, Jin Ho nodded. "I could do that. It's not a bad idea. Although if we go somewhere public, my parents will hear of it..."

Not that they didn't have to figure it out eventually. When Hoshi offered Arena tickets, the metalbender shook his head.

"Oh, you know I don't care for the Arena," said Jin Ho, waving the suggestion off. It was so packed with people it sometimes made him a bit nervous. He liked to listen to the matches on the radio. Besides, any time he was at the Arena he just felt like he should be working. So many people in one place made for easy crime targets. He was never able to relax.

Chewing on his noodles, he felt more of the knots in his shoulders relax. Ahh, but coming to Hoshi's apartment was always a great idea. He loved her, he truly did. Everything seemed much more clear with her around. It had always been that way. Even as children, Hoshi had always been his little trailblazer, the courageous one. While Jin Ho was prone to following rules and working himself up, Hoshi easily cut through problems and knew not only her own mind, but the minds of others as well. She was a beacon for him.

Smiling fondly, he ruffled her hair. "Thank you," he said, voice genuinely warm. "You know. For everything. You're my shooting star."

He ended up falling asleep on her sofa, hair poured like ink over the side.

———-

Two days later, Jin Ho called Hoshi in a frantic panic, telling her he had taken her advice and asked Mizu to dinner — well, technically, Mizu had asked him first, but he was going to — and they were going out that night and could he come over because he was freaking out? When he finally paused to breathe, he realized that he had just spilled out word-vomit, and laughed.

"Sorry. Can I come over?" He sounded buoyant and nervous all at the same time.
Last edit by Deleted: May 24, 2012 23:39:37 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 0:43:34 GMT -6

Yes, she knew he wasn't fond of the Arena. Crowded places always tensed him right up, even more so since he joined the Police. His busy mind was constantly scouting around for the nearest pickpocket, ticket scalper, or some other ne'er-do-well he could bust. Hoshi smiled at him, understanding. "Yes, I know. It was worth a shot anyway, free tickets are always a bargain!" She laughed. "I am actually surprised they are having trouble getting rid of them. It's not to a Wolf Bats match or you know those tickets would've been MINE, but I hear it's for the Fire Ferrets, who are supposedly very very good for a bunch of newcomers. I've only heard their matches on the Radio, so they're either as good as the announcer makes them out to be — or they're only facing shoddy teams."

As they finished their meal, Jin Ho reached over and tousled her hair affectionately, thanking her.

"You're my shooting star."

She blushed. Even if he didn't mean it the way she wish he did, it was still a treasured thought. She took his words, hoarded them in her heart, locked away as if a Very Valuable thing to be brought out only to show to guests and for fancy occasions. Yes, she was his shooting star, and she would continue being one for him as long as he needed.

Jin Ho wounded up falling asleep on the sofa, his hair spilling over the sides like liquid ebony. Hoshi smiled tenderly, pulling a blanket from the hall closet and tucking him in gently so as not to wake him. The poor dear. He had quite the day. Kissing him lightly on the forehead, Hoshi tucked a strand of hair from out of his face and behind his ear, blowing out the candle to give him a nice, quiet room to sleep.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she muttered at the phone, which was trilling its incessant jingle. With a quick glance around for something to hold her spot, Hoshi sighed and carried the periodical with her from the bedroom to the 'phone stand, tucking her finger between the flimsy magazine pages. It was two days since the rain, two days since Jin Ho had told her about Mizu. They had seen each other, in passing, but the past couple of days at the shop had been exhausting. This was her only day off for the rest of the week, and she was a little annoyed at the phone, figuring it to be her mother calling her into the shop.

Instead, she was pleasantly surprised to hear Jin Ho's voice on the other end, the tinny quality of the ear piece doing nothing to alter the sounds of giddiness and slight panic from his voice. Hoshi murmured pleasantly into the phone, her words encouraging but non-committal. The magazine in her hand, however, crumpled as the words washed over her. She was proud of Jin Ho, of course, for pursuing his happiness — how could she not be? — but there was still that small, ugly part of her that cried out in anguish: What about me? It was a selfish, foolish voice. Jin Ho loved her, even if not in "that way".

He asked to come over.

The earthbender smiled into the receiver. "Of course, silly. Come on over, we'll get you fixed up. Are you still in uniform?" she demanded. "If you are, change or bring clothes. See you in a few." Hoshi hang up without waiting for a reply. He'd come over, all right. With street clothes in hand or on, he'd arrive breathless at her door, with that bright smile and those excited eyes he'd had since childhood. With an indulgent grin, the woman set a pot of water on the stove, mulling over her tea tins once again.

She made her own mix of tea again, choosing from robust flavours and species, to give him strength, energy, and... vigor, if he needed it. Her hand wavered adding the last part of the mix, but she forced herself anyway. To help, she reminded herself.
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 25, 2012 0:45:58 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 0:56:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 0:56:53 GMT -6

"No of course I'm not in uniform, I traded — " Jin Ho stopped talking and let Hoshi tell him to come over. He was already showered, of course, smelling like sandalwood. When he arrived on his friend's doorstep, the off-duty policeman was wearing a high-collared forest green undershirt and black trousers. His jacket was an almost black shade of green with warm gold buttons and trim, carefully mended but showing some wear. He'd had it for years and usually wore the sleeves rolled up in mild weather. The same went for his black boots, which were close to knee-high and laced up the front.

After careful consideration, the young man had chosen a warm, earthy-herbal oil to add to his normal plain hair oil. It all got combed through before he braided it into a flat and somewhat complex five-strand braid, different from the normal and plain three-strand he usually used. In short, he looked like he had made an effort.

But not too much of an effort. After all, Jin Ho wasn't the type to own a lot of expensive or fancy clothing. He just had what he had.

When Hoshi opened the door, Jin Ho was indeed smiling. His eyes were sparkling with anticipation, cheeks flushed. "Hi!" he said. He had walked, of course. Jin Ho never ever ever took a car. Not since the accident.

As they both went inside, he told her about how he'd seen Mizu while working. "He asked to see me," Jin Ho explained as Hoshi made tea, "and then he actually apologized?" Which, to be honest, the Metalbender didn't understand. Mizu hadn't done anything wrong, at least, not in Jin Ho's mind. "Anyway, he asked if I wanted to try again. So..."

Cupping long fingers around the teacup, Jin Ho paused. "Well, I thought I would see if it was worth it? Because, you know, my feelings were hurt before. Still kind of are." Understatement. Hi, Jin Ho, king of the understatement. My feelings were hurt? Really?

"So... soIkissedhim," he said, words rushing out quickly and blurring together. He blushed. "And..." just thinking about it gave him a fluttering feeling in his stomach. It was perfect. Everything he'd ever imagined. "It was amazing. So I said I'd go. To dinner." He paused for a moment. "You're always saying I should take the initiative... right? So I followed your advice."
Last edit by Deleted: May 25, 2012 1:08:16 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 1:13:10 GMT -6

Hoshi didn't know what she had expected to see when she opened her door. Jin Ho, of course, but... what, in normal street clothes? His uniform? A cabbage sack? She didn't know, but whatever it was, she wasn't expecting this. He had really made a go for it - he had something new to his scent, something earthy. His braid was in five pleats, not three. His outfit was meticulously chosen, spotless, and just perfect. He greeted her with that same, wonderful smile, and Hoshi felt weak in the knees. She let out the breath she didn't know she had been holding and gestured for him to follow him back in.

So Mizu apologised. Hoshi slid a cup of tea toward Jin Ho, then poured her own cup. She had a different blend of leaves for herself today, something that reminded her of her father, to give her courage. Of course, there was no magic tea flavour that would make the faint of heart into the stouthearted, but it comforted her. She would need comfort if they were going to talk about Mizu, she thought, nodding to show understanding that he had his feelings hurt by the other man's actions from a few days prior.

Sipping the sweet, lychee nut-flavoured black tea, Hoshi nearly choked as Jin Ho blurted out that he had kissed Mizu. She sputtered and coughed, her eyes watering. "I---excuse me, sorry, what-— what happened?" But Jin Ho said it was amazing, and that he had agreed to go to dinner.

She already knew that part. Dabbing at the corners of her eyes with a kerchief she had tucked in her sleeve, Hoshi tried to gather her composure and her thoughts. "Nervous?" she finally managed, taking a (small) sip of tea. Father, give me strength... "Of course you are, what a silly question. You want to know what to do, what to say?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 1:26:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 1:26:13 GMT -6

What happened?

"Well... he asked to see me privately and I agreed. So we went to the back? And then he asked if I wanted to try again. I don't know what came over me." Jin Ho laughed a little, almost looking embarrassed. "I just felt compelled to kiss him, I guess. I thought it there weren't any sparks, I could just leave it at that. You know?" He took a sip of his tea, rolling the liquid on his tongue. It was good.

"I guess I just sort of um, grabbed him. And kissed him. But not — not, you know, some intense kind of... there wasn't any, any... inappropriate action..." he was flushed again, flustered. He had been on duty, so of course there hadn't been any groping or otherwise intimate contact. It was a simple kiss! Nothing more!

Except emotionally. It was definitely more emotionally than he had planned. "I felt like I couldn't breathe when it was over. Is that normal?" The young man laughed. "So yes, I'm nervous. But I'm always nervous, aren't I?" Nervous and second-guessing. That was Jin Ho.

But he did always want to please people so much. He tried very hard. As he fingered the end of his braid, he sighed. "I don't want to know what to say, exactly. Just that... what should I not do?" He tapped a finger on the table.

Hoshi was always so put-together. Of course she'd know, right? "I guess I just want to make sure I don't screw it up. What if he.. I don't know, what if he asks me to get into a car?" The man's clear green eyes went wide, horrified by the thought. Not for sex, love, or money, would Jin Ho Park ever get into a car. Not ever again.

"Or — or what if I do something totally stupid? Or what if he wants to sleep with me on the first date?!" Because Jin Ho would never do that! And how would he possibly react to such a thing? It was all so mortifying.

"Oh god," he moaned, setting the cup down. Slumping forward, Jin Ho dropped his head onto crossed arms. "I so can't do this."
Last edit by Deleted: May 25, 2012 1:51:54 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 13:29:07 GMT -6

Despite the internal war between her best friend and I love you feelings, Hoshi couldn't help but smile at Jin Ho's flustered demeanor. He was nervous, so adorably nervous, but he still couldn't stop that radiant glow one got when they were happy about another person. Hoshi sipped her own tea, mostly over her coughing spell, as she listened to Jin Ho stumble over what had happened. The cup to her mouth hid an amused smile as he blushed and chattered away.

He asked her what he shouldn't do. The woman scrunched up her nose in thought. "Well, for starters, don't over-analyse so much." She waggled her finger. "Just go with the flow, or try to. If he says he's having a good time, don't worry about if he's just being polite or if he really means it, because it shows when you do that." Hoshi smiled gently. "Other than that, just be yourself. Treat him as a person and a friend first, and the rest will come, I think."

Then Jin Ho brought up a very real possibility: What if he was asked to get into a car? With the satomobile taxi services and the overall size of Republic City, there was a good chance Mizu would suggest it. Hoshi's face turned serious. "Obviously, I would suggest telling him the truth. Maybe get it out of the way early on, so you can talk about it before he suggests riding in one?" The woman frowned; Jin Ho's fear of cars was more than understandable after his accident. She didn't exactly fancy them herself; for all their commercial success, they were loud, smelled terrible, and were confining. "If he pushes you, be firm. Don't run, but don't give in, either."

She reached over and took his hand. "I am sure he'll understand if you let him know it bothers you," she said gently, momentarily squeezing his hand in reassurance.

What if I do something totally stupid? Or what if he wants to sleep with me on the first date?!

Well then. Not quite the question she was expecting, but the earthbender supposed that it was a legitimate concern. From Jin Ho's accounts, Mizu did seem a bit ... more free about his sexuality. Hoshi patted his arm and drew her hand back, taking another sip of tea. "Tell him no," she said flatly. "If you don't want to do that, then don't do that. He should respect your wishes, no matter what your reasons." This was something she felt very strongly about. She didn't know what it was like for men who liked other men, but at the very least women who liked men seemed to often run into trouble when it came to that. It was always conditional - "well WHY didn't they want to?" and, "Come on, I want to show you how I feel!" And it was always hooey.

"If he cares about you," she added, "He won't push it." And if he did, Hoshi silently vowed, there would be hell for him to pay.

Jin Ho set his cup down, burying his face into his arms, moaning that he couldn't do it. Hoshi stood, walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders and giving a little squeeze. "Yes, you can." she murmured. "Of course you can. You'll regret it forever if you don't."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 19:41:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 19:41:37 GMT -6

“Just go with the flow,” Jin Ho repeated. He paused for a minute. Who was she kidding? “Who do you think you’re talking to, again?” he asked, and then laughed. He was so not good at ‘going with the flow’. But she had a good point – he needed to be himself. Jin Ho was not very good at lying, never had been. Honesty was the best policy. Mostly.

Tell him no, if you don’t want to do that

“Okay, well, obviously,” the young man said, “but you make it sound ridiculously simple, Hoshi. What if I do want to? Just what if I want to… later? Or something?” Mizu was ridiculously attractive, and it would be impossible for Jin Ho to say he didn’t want to sleep with him. He was a red-blooded man, after all. He had manly needs.

Or something.

You’ll regret it forever if you don’t, Hoshi said, and Jin Ho knew that as usual, she was absolutely right. He would regret it if he didn’t go through with it. And he had been inordinately excited all day! And that five-stranded-braid wasn’t the easiest thing in the world to do, either. If only for the sake of his painstaking hairstyle, he had to go through with this date.

There was no guarantee it would go so badly, anyway. Jin Ho always thought of the worst-case scenario first, but the other options were still there. They might have a wonderful time. Mizu might be the sweetest, nicest guy Jin Ho had ever met. They might end up really liking each other, having a relationship. Closing the door to such possibilities would be a huge mistake. Jin Ho was lonely… had been lonely for a long time. Shouldn’t he make the best of this opportunity?

Nodding, he sat back up and calmly sipped his tea. “It’s going to be great,” he said with conviction. The same thing had happened before his final tests for the police academy. He’d been extraordinarily nervous, talked through it, and then passed them all with flying colours. The only person Jin Ho really needed to convince was himself.

Smiling, he toyed with the end of his braid. “Thank you.” Eyeing his oldest friend, he smiled a little. “What are we going to do when you start going on dates? You know I’ll never think anyone could possibly be worthy of you. Am I to have interviews with them all, extolling your virtues and demanding to know their intentions?”

Actually, that wasn’t a bad idea…

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 27, 2012 16:46:58 GMT -6

A slow grin spread across her face. Of course 'go with the flow' would be a challenge for him. "Maybe not go with the flow," she acquiesced. "But do just try to be yourself, without worrying so much." Her eyes were kind, and she patted his hand. "I think, personally, that the best love grows out of friendship." Hoshi meant it; even though it was a painful love on her end, unrequited til the end of time, she wouldn't have it any other way. "Don't worry so much about whether or not you're making a good impression, because if you have to change yourself to do it, then you won't have a good relationship."

You make it sound ridiculously simple, Hoshi. What if I do want to?

She tilted her head, looking at him quizzically. "But it is that simple," she said. "He should respect whatever you want in that regard. Just be honest. If you want to, but later, tell him you're not ready yet. Or that you don't feel comfortable with it on the first date, or something." She smiled reassuringly. "I didn't mean that you shouldn't, or that you wouldn't want to —- just that you should be honest with him about it, and that whatever you decide, he should respect and not try to change your mind. The reverse is also true, of course." But she really didn't see Mizu as being the type to turn him down. Or Jin Ho as the type to insist.

The young woman took another drink of her tea. It was getting a bit lukewarm, but it was the type of tea that was also relatively good cold. Not as good as hot, of course, but then again what tea was?

It's going to be great.

Hoshi smiled. "Of course it is!" she said encouragingly. "You're going to have a fantastic time, I just know it." No sooner than the words came out of her mouth, Hosh had a sinking feeling it would be true.... Not that she had a problem with Jin Ho having a good time (and falling in love, nagged a voice in her head), because she wanted him to be happy; it was just... if he did, then it was like an official, absolute decoration that she could never have him in that way. While she knew in her heart and had accepted it, mostly, she just wasn't sure if she was ready to have such a finality to it.

But Jin Ho thanked her and smiled. She returned it, a hint of sadness in her eyes. He asked her then, they were going to do when she was started to date.

You know I'll never think anyone could possibly be worthy of you.

A dull red flush covered her cheeks. She understood how he felt, almost perfectly. Fingering the edge of her tea cup, Hoshi averted her eyes, staring absently at nothing. "I don't know," she answered truthfully. "I'm not even sure I'm ready to start dating, you know? I have the shop to think about..." The woman trailed off. It was a lame excuse. She was definitely ready to move on from Jin Ho. Not that she particularly wanted to, but it wouldn't do the two of them any good if she just sat there, pining away, for the rest of her life. But she knew she'd compare everyone she met to him, and that wasn't fair to the faceless Lees that she could possibly date.

"My mother was talking about setting me up with one of the customer's sons," she added as an after thought, wrinkling her nose. "He's a piggly sort of man, though. Older, too. I'm not surprised that his mother hasn't been able to find him a wife."
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 27, 2012 16:48:46 GMT -6