The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Disastrous Dates [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
May 27, 2012 18:19:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 27, 2012 18:19:03 GMT -6

"I'm not even sure I'm ready to start dating, you know? I have the shop to think about..."

Jin Ho raised an eyebrow. That was a cop-out and they both knew it. “Hoshi,” he said. “If I am ready to date, you are definitely ready to date. You know, if you can someone worth it, that is. Which I seriously doubt.” He brushed a piece of her hair back off her face. “You are more than capable of being a professional shopkeeping woman and dating, if you want to.”

Hoshi was beautiful and smart and funny. It boggled Jin Ho’s mind that she didn’t have men banging at her door begging for her hand already, but… it was possible that people always saw them together and assumed she wasn’t available. If that were the case, Jin Ho had a responsibility to his best friend’s happiness: he had to make sure that assumption wasn’t constantly made any more. Maybe his dating would be good for them both.

"My mother was talking about setting me up with one of the customer's sons… He's a piggly sort of man, though. Older, too. I'm not surprised that his mother hasn't been able to find him a wife.

WHAT?!

Shock registered on Jin Ho’s face, green eyes widening. “Well that’s – that’s – what did you say?” He was aghast at the idea of Mrs. Jeon picking out some lecherous old man for his Hoshi. It was ridiculous! The very idea was just so… so… he stared at her for a moment, and then blinked, squaring his shoulders. The look on Hoshi’s face said it all.

“Absolutely not,” said Jin Ho. “No way! You have got to be kidding me! You’re going to do it?”

Surely he could find someone at work to go on a date with Hoshi. There were lots of good-looking young policemen running about…
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 28, 2012 1:34:31 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
He called her out on it, as she knew he would. "You're right," she admitted, a little reluctantly, a small sigh escaping her lips. That was one thing about her relationship with Jin Ho: they just couldn't lie to each other. Even if one of them did, they were close enough that the other would know. It wasn't usually a problem, but sometimes --just sometimes-- Hoshi wished she could lie to him about her feelings, to tell him everything was fine and just have it be that.

"I know I can work at the shop and still have a social life," she sighed again. "It's just hard for me, sometimes." She glanced away, feeling her ears burn. No need to elaborate; Jin Ho would know. Hoshi hated bringing it up, like she was some pitiful excuse for a human being who couldn't get over disappointment. She didn't want to make Jin Ho guilty for who he was, who he liked, who he was attracted to; she wanted him to be happy, with all her soul. It just didn't make her, personally, feel any better.

What did you say?

She shrugged noncommittally. "You know my mother." Jin Ho looked shocked. Appalled. Disgusted on her behalf. Hoshi smiled a little. "I don't know if I will. Maybe. Once mother gets an idea in her head, she doesn't let go." Umma had be a little... pushy, lately. Resigned to her not being with Jin Ho and giving her grandbabies. "Your father was so disappointed! rang her mother's voice in her head. Dying without grandchildren. Tsk. Hoshi winced a little, and looked at Jin Ho half-apologetically. "It's uh... actually already arranged." She felt sheepish. "Well, mostly. We haven't said when, yet, but apparently whenever he has a day off from his work." Hoshi half laughed, half dry-sobbed. "I don't even know what he does!"

It was her turn to bury her face in her arms. "He's so awful," she said, voice muffled by her arms. "He comes in the shop, spills the hot water every where, gobbles up more tea cakes and sweets than we can put to his table. I don't even know his NAME." Hoshi peeked one eye up at Jin Ho over her forearm. "He breathes funny, too."

The young woman sighed. "I'll let you know how it goes," she said miserably.

Suddenly, she sat up. "Hey! When is your dinner?" Hoshi fumbled in her pockets for her watch. "What time is it?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 28, 2012 17:12:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 28, 2012 17:12:33 GMT -6

Jin Ho stared at his oldest friend. There was no way in hell he'd let her get stuck marrying some awful man who spilled things everywhere. It was all too much. He'd have to come up with a plan, and fast — maybe he could ask a co-worker, for real? Though, he wasn't sure if any of them were good enough for her, either.

She'd let him know how it went? Ohhh, Jin Ho was starting to get angry. What did she mean it was already all set up? Didn't Mrs. Jeon see how unhappy her daughter was about the idea?

"I —"

When is your dinner? What time is it?

"OH!" Jin Ho set his mug down and practically leapt out of the chair. "I — I have to go!!" He had to walk all the way there, after all, and Narook's wasn't nearby to Hoshi's flat at all. "I'm sorry," Jin Ho said, voice sort of pleading, "to leave like this but you're right, I have to go. And — and I want to know everything that happens, okay? Call me as soon as it's over. I'll cook you breakfast."

He ruffled her hair again and leaned down, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "See you."

The smell of sandalwood lingered in the air after he'd gone.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 29, 2012 19:38:52 GMT -6

Grinning, Hoshi blew kisses at Jin Ho's retreating form. "GOOD LUCK!" she called out to him right before the door closed, reveling in the scent of sandalwood he always left behind.

————————-

It had been a few days since she'd last seen Jin Ho. With his job with the Republic City Police, there wasn't always an opportunity to drop by her flat before she went to sleep or by the shop before it closed — especially when his rounds took him to a different district. The day after Jin Ho's date, she had anxiously waited for a phone call that never came. Not one to take offense, Hoshi chalked it up to a busy schedule.

When she had gone into the shop that morning, her mother had approached her, all smiles, and said that her date had been finalised. Feeling sick to her stomach, Hoshi listened politely as her mother ran at the mouth, the most excited she had been since finding out Hoshi and Jin Ho had "broken up". The man's name Dae-Ho, her mother chattered. Hoshi snorted, earning a disapproving glare. Dae-Ho, she scoffed inwardly. What part of him was great? She recalled his beady eyes and awkward conversation, the state of his table after a visit. She shuddered.

Umma tutted at her, fussing over her hair, pinching her cheeks and murmuring about how she needed to lose weight. Hoshi pulled away, waving her off. She liked how she looked. Maybe she wasn't a slender, nymph-like beauty, but she was healthy and fit.

Suddenly, she found herself outside the shop. Umma had smiled at her, handing her a coupon to a local beauty shop before shutting the door definitively (or so Hoshi felt) on her daughter. Hoshi sighed, and proceeded to spend several hours in a chair, having her hair fussed over and he face and feet scrubbed, her eyebrows waxed and plucked, her nails trimmed and shined. Umma had called ahead, the woman surmised, noting the certainty with which the attendants worked. They slathered cosmetics on her face, bathed her in perfume. Hoshi felt slightly ill.

Then she was done, and it was all she could do not to run home. She felt self-conscious, noting the stares and the winces from her overly-enthusiastic fragrance wafting past peoples' noses. Back at her flat, she hastened to wash the makeup and scent off her skin. Once she was clean and scent-free, she carefully applied a small amount of rouge on her skin, outlining her eyes with kohl, and dabbing a light shimmer on her lips. Her hair had been done nicely, she admitted, the short, asymmetrical cut slightly finger-waved and styled close to her head.

Adding just the slightest dab of pink jasmine-scented perfume behind her ears and on the insides of her wrists, Hoshi looked with approval in the mirror. A pleasant-looking, slightly stocky woman stared back at her, green eyes troubled. Ah well. That couldn't be helped.

Changing from her trousers and blouse to something more dressy — a dark purple straight dress with a sheer beaded overlay — Hoshi was just clasping a dainty string of pearls around her neck as a knock on the door echoed through her flat. With a sigh, she steeled herself for the impending sure-to-be-disaster of a date, lifting her chin confidently. She grabbed a small draw-string purse that matched her dress, slid on her shoes, and opened the door.

Dae-Ho stood on her stoop, a corsage box in hand. He had slicked his hair back with much too much oil, squeezed into an ill-fitting suit, and wore way too much musk. Eyes watering, Hoshi did her best to smile and greet him politely as she locked and closed the door behind her.

————————-

By the time she returned, the moon was high in the sky. Her flat, dark and empty as it was, seemed like a welcoming vision as she rushed in, shutting the door behind her with a loud BANG. She thumped her forehead against the cool wood gently. Her cheeks were damp, the watered down kohl once lining her eyes now a disgusting raccoon-like mess. Her dress's left strap was torn slightly, and several beaded strings were missing from her overlay.

Hoshi kicked of her shoes — literally. They went flying across the room, the left shoe knocking over a tin on the kitchen counter, the right shoe landing somewhere behind the sofa. She tossed her purse wherever, hearing it land with a dull thud somewhere to the right of the door. Taking a few deep breaths, Hoshi shakily picked up the phone and dialed the operator, asking for a connection to Jin Ho's flat.

When he answered, she tried very hard to keep her voice steady. "Hello!" Hoshi said as brightly as she could. "Sorry to call so late, I just got in. Would you come over? Some wine would be very good right now."

This user is Mod
Last edit: May 30, 2012 20:02:21 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 16:43:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 30, 2012 16:43:53 GMT -6

Jin Ho had been very busy the last few days. Since his date, he'd picked up an extra shift for someone who needed it in addition to his usual beats. It left him very tired, and with all the raging emotional mess of starting to date and having such a crush and everything else, the poor thing was just exhausted.

Not, however, exhausted enough that Hoshi's call didn't wake him up. Jin Ho didn't give out his phone number all that much, so the list of who could be calling was relatively short. His voice was rough with sleep when he answered, but he did answer.

"Sorry to call so late, I just got in. Would you come over? Some wine would be very good right now."

That didn't sound good at all. "Of course," said the young policeman, already looking for his boots. "I'll be right there." He hung up quickly and rooted around for a shirt. It took him a bit to get to Hoshi's flat because of walking, but when he arrived, it was clear that Jin Ho had hurried. His hair was still in its messy sleep-plait, sort of fuzzy from rolling around. He'd thrown his shirt and jacket on over black trousers and boots without taking care to tuck in the shirttails or otherwise fix anything.

He could tell when she needed him.

The metalbender didn't bother to knock. "Hoshi?" He turned the door handle, letting himself in. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" No matter how she tried to brighten her voice, Hoshi could never fool her childhood best friend.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 30, 2012 20:03:43 GMT -6

When Jin Ho finally arrived, she was curled up on the couch, on the farthest end from the door. Her feet were tucked under her legs, knees drawn up to her chin. Her face was unwashed, raccoon-eyes apparent even from the pale moon light streaming through the open door. The lights were off, save a small glow from a lamp in the hallway. Hoshi looked up when he walked in, her lips upturned in the facsimile of a smile. She felt ... jittery. Anxious. Like she had creepy-crawlies all over her skin. She shivered, rubbing her forearms and rocking back and forth slightly. "Good evening!" she said, her voice clearly strained and carrying a slight hysterical tone. "Did you have a pleasant walk?"

Lapsing into silence, Hoshi continued rocking, her green eyes following Jin Ho around her flat. She spoke again. "Wine?" It was a hopeful query. Hoshi never kept any in her house; she didn't have guests over often enough to call for any 'social' drinking, and she always preferred tea over alcoholic beverages. She found herself wishing she had some hidden away somewhere.

It wasn't cold, but there were goosebumps on her skin. She was still shivering slightly, her heart aching in the strangest way. It wasn't the familiar dull pain of being near Jin Ho; it was something else, something more constricting. It made bile rise up from her belly and threaten to revolt. She could still see him, his beady, lustful gaze; the feel of his fingers around her arm; the rancid scent of his breath as he closed in.

She felt her eyes well up, tears spilling over unchecked and unheeded. For a reason she couldn't quite place, Hoshi laughed. It was shrill, wild; half sob, half giggle. Vaguely, she was aware her torn strap had slithered down her arm. She noticed she had left a trail of beads from the front door to the couch. Her eyes widened, and she sprang up, running in a panic to the door. With shaking hands she slid the lock closed, pushing against the lever even after the bolt had slid into place.

Her knees gave out, and Hoshi sank to the floor, breathing raggedly.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 22:22:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 30, 2012 22:22:23 GMT -6

It was even worse than he could have possibly imagined. As a police officer, Jin Ho had dealt with victims of violence before, and as soon as he saw Hoshi, his mind leapt to the worst possible conclusion.

"I didn't have any wine to bring," he said, ignoring her question about his walk. "You know I don't keep that stuff in the house." His gaze followed hers, taking in the broken strap on her dress, the trail of beads. The normally bright, clear green of Jin Ho's eyes darkened in anger. As she rushed past him he knew better than to grab for her, instead letting her reach the door and lock it before the energy ran out and she collapsed.

Only then did Jin Ho kneel down next to her, close but not touching. "Hoshi," he said very softly, "what happened?"

Because Jin Ho had an idea. And that idea included the need for Dae-ho to be very, very dead. The policeman didn't get angry that often, but when he did, it was something to behold. The slim metal wires he kept in his coat pockets felt like they were burning holes, so badly did he want to use them. He'd find that man and garrote him.

"Let's make you some tea," he said. Jin Ho wouldn't touch her unless she came to him first. "It's okay. I'm here. I won't let anyone hurt you."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 31, 2012 10:26:49 GMT -6

When he knelt next to her, she couldn't help but flinch. Her body tensed for a split second, before relaxing. Hoshi smiled a little smile at him when he spoke of tea. Yes, yes, tea. Tea would be good. Lots of hot, delicious tea. She nodded, and using the door handle as leverage, pulled her self up to a standing position. She glanced at the door again, pushing once more at the latch to make sure it was really locked. ...And once more, for good luck.

She shakily made her way back to the couch, where she resumed sitting with her knees to her chin. A few moments ticked by as Jin Ho got the tea started. The familiar things of her home — the ticking of her clock, the smell of her house, the sounds of tea being made — comforted her. Hoshi struggled to speak.

"He's punctual," she said. "He arrived exactly on time." His face flashed in her mind's eye. He had smiled at her, and she had thought briefly that the night might not be so bad after all.

But she was wrong.

"I don't know where we went. I've never been there before." Hoshi described a fancy restaurant; not the fanciest one in town, Kuang's Cuisine, but another, slightly less swanky. It was clear he was trying to impress her. She described how they had no reservation when walking in, but Dae-ho handed the maitre d' something and they were able to be seated. Dae-ho had said she could order anything she wanted from the menu, but it was primarily spicy Fire Nation cuisine. Hoshi had asked for some noodles, with some lightly spiced vegetables as an appetiser.

Dae-ho, on the other hand, had ordered practically the entire menu. When their food arrived, Hoshi blanched as he enthusiastically ate, the mess he made here ten times worse than any mess he'd ever made at the shop. "It was like he was ravenous," she said, waving her hand. "Like he hadn't eaten in weeks."

At least the man had the courtesy to ask about her — about her interests, her likes and dislikes. She had responded as politely as possible, not really saying much at all, not even about her love of the Wolf Bats. He talked a lot about himself between her responses. Nothing important, just things he thought would impress her. But he was barking up the wrong tree. They stayed at the restaurant up until they closed, despite Hoshi finishing her meal at least an hour before.

"Then we went on a cab ride in the Park." Hoshi described how, in the closed space of the cab, Dae-ho's musk did a poor job of masking his... natural odor. How the grease that slicked back his hair was obviously an animal-based product. "It was pretty much the worst ride ever." Dae-ho talked more about himself, clearly thinking that she was impressed with his petty work and financial-related achievements.

"He wanted to walk me home." The piggly man had put his arm around her; Hoshi gagged, trying to mask it as a cough. "About halfway here from the park, he tried to.... to kiss me..." The young woman trailed off, lapsing into silence again.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 31, 2012 16:17:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2012 16:17:10 GMT -6

Jin Ho was glad he was in the kitchen as Hoshi spoke, because it meant she couldn't see his face. The young man was well aware of the fact that his face was probably murderously angry. It was a good thing Dae-ho hadn't stuck around, because the cop might find himself on the other side of the law if he ran into him any time soon.

To keep himself busy he made the tea while she spoke, not trusting himself to say anything. By the time the tea was ready, Hoshi had gotten to the part about Dae-ho trying to kiss her, and it was all Jin Ho could do not to break a cup. He carefully brought her a cup of tea and sat down on the other end of the sofa, hopefully far enough away that she wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

"And was he successful? Did he touch you?" Because spirits help him if he had.

Jin Ho sipped from his own tea, taking time before saying anything else. "Hoshi," he said finally, "you know it's not your fault, right? You're not responsible for that man's actions. And I promise I will make sure you never see him again." Jin Ho could and would easily take out a restraining order for her, just like he could and would be willing to be threaten the man should he ever darken the door of the Lotus Cafe again.

Picking up a blanket, Jin Ho draped it around his oldest friend. "Do you want me to stay with you tonight?" he asked. He could stay in her bed or he could stay on the sofa, he didn't care. If she felt safer when she wasn't alone, he'd stay.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 31, 2012 16:42:29 GMT -6

Did he touch you?

Hoshi shook her head violently. "NO." It was unnecessarily loud. "No," she said again, more softly. Grasping the cup tenderly in her hands, the woman took a moment to breathe in the aroma. Jin Ho chose a good blend, and already she was calmer. She took a careful sip, letting the hot drink roll around in her mouth a bit before swallowing, savouring the flavour.

She looked at Jin Ho, her eyes sore and itchy. "When he leaned in, I... I panicked. I don't know what happened." Hoshi took another drink of tea. "He grabbed my arm — you know, like in those romantic stories, when the girl is leaving? — and went in for it, and I just...." She gestured with one hand. "Earthbended him to the moon. Or something. I didn't even notice my dress ripped. He must've grabbed them on reflex when I was earthbending."

Suddenly, she was very, very tired. Jin Ho must've noticed, because he put a blanket around her and asked if she wanted him to stay. Hoshi nodded mutely; she doubted Dae-ho would come a-knocking, but having Jin Ho over had the benefit of not just her best friend, but a true-blue police officer at her home. She yawned and put down her tea. Shuffling off to the bedroom, she motioned for Jin Ho to follow her. Her bed was big enough for the two of them to share. After a quick stop in the bathroom to rub off the rest of the kohl, she climbed into bed, not bothering to change out of her dress. "Do you work tomorrow?" she asked Jin Ho sleepily. "If not, I'll make some breakfast and we can talk about your date." Anything so that she didn't have to remember tonight. "I'm calling my mother in the morning and asking her to cover for me at the shop..."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 31, 2012 17:01:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2012 17:01:07 GMT -6

Jin Ho's smile was bright with relief. "That's my girl," he said. He should have known she could take care of herself! And even though she was very upset right now, she had stood up for herself and prevented something awful from happening to her. Jin Ho was proud of her.

At her beckoning, he followed her to the bedroom, where he unlaced his boots and set them on the floor. He'd have to get up very early to go home in the morning before work, but that was all right. As Hoshi washed the kohl off her face, Jin Ho rebraided his hair into a tighter braid again. If he didn't, it would be all over the place by morning. When she returned and climbed into bed still wearing the dress, he raised an eyebrow and made a "hhhnnnmnm" sound.

"No," said Jin Ho, motioning to the bathroom, "go and take the dress off. You'll hate it being on you when you wake up. Besides, if you sleep in that we'll have little gravelly beads all over us by morning." He knew that she'd wake up and see the broken strap and be upset all over again, and he didn't want that for her. Pulling off his white shirt, he handed it to her. It was far too big for her — Jin Ho was taller than she was — but that didn't really matter. What mattered was that Jin Ho's shirt hadn't been on that horrible date, and it didn't smell like musk. It smelled like camellia oil and metal lubricant and vanilla.

"Do you work tomorrow? If not, I'll make some breakfast and we can talk about your date. I'm calling my mother in the morning and asking her to cover for me at the shop..."

"Yeah, I work tomorrow," he said, voice apologetic. "I picked up an extra shift from someone so they'd cover for my date, so, I've been working a lot. We can always talk about all that later." It didn't seem overwhelmingly important to him just then. Mizu was nice, and the date had been wonderful, and he planned to see him again. But it would keep.

Jin Ho left his trousers on and slid under the covers, waiting for Hoshi to come back. When she did, he wound both his arms around her, hugging her close. Her head fit neatly under his chin. "I'm proud of you today," he softly. "You're a strong woman."

—-

Jin Ho didn't have time to meet back up with Hoshi for at least two days. He hadn't been lying when he'd said he'd been working a lot! And while he was out, he made a very threatening and personal visit to Dae-ho, warning him of consequences should he ever return to the Lotus Cafe. And he might or might not have yelled at Mrs. Jeon in private.
Last edit by Deleted: May 31, 2012 17:03:41 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 1, 2012 11:32:54 GMT -6

Grumbling ever so slightly, Hoshi scootched off the bed and back into the bathroom, changing out of her dress and into Jin Ho's oversized (on her, anyway) white shirt. She breathed in his scent, the wonderful medley him; vanilla, camellia oil, and a something she couldn't quite place but always associated with his work. She left her dress on the bathroom counter, looking at the missing beads and torn strap sadly. It was a nice dress, and it was so difficult for her to find colours she liked.

As she shuffled back into the room, Jin Ho was just apologising for having to work the next morning. She shook her head at the apology. "It's fine," she said. "I think I'll just spend the day listening to the radio and reading a good book. I'll have umma stop by after the shop closes and have dinner with me." She climbed back into bed and snuggled against Jin Ho, enjoying the feel of his strong arms protectively around her. She nuzzled the top of her head under his chin as he told her he was proud of her, and that she was strong.

Hoshi smiled. I love you, she meant to say, but it came out as an unintelligible, sleepy mumble as she drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

—————————-

It had been two days since she last saw Jin Ho. Hoshi hadn't returned to the shop, her mother being somewhat apologetic and rather understanding about the whole thing. The young woman suspected that was Jin Ho's doing, but couldn't prove it. In any case, she had stayed home and relaxed, the anxiety over the situation with Dae-ho slowly ebbing away as time passed. She drank a lot of tea, even more than usual. She would have to replenish her supply for Jin Ho.

She went out, eyes squinting at the bright sunlight. Gingerly, she stepped out, her forest-green skirt swishing gently in the breeze. Her blouse fluttered, and she wondered briefly if she should get a sweater. Deciding against it, Hoshi visited the market place and chose some quality tea leaves, various strains with various tastes and properties.

Returning home, glad that the excursion had been event-free, the young woman had barely shut the door before she grabbed the 'phone and asked the operator to connect her to Jin Ho's home. Hopefully he had the day off today; if there was no answer, she'd just try again later that night. Patiently, she waited while the telephone rang on the other end, fussing with removing her flats and gloves.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 2, 2012 19:28:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2012 19:28:02 GMT -6

Jin Ho did not, unfortunately, have the day off. Hoshi’s first call went unanswered, but he was home by the evening when she called again. He had just gotten out of the shower and answered the phone, hair dripping.
“Hello?” Ah! It was Hoshi! From the sound of her voice, she was feeling a bit better. “Hi!”

After they briefly checked in with each other, Jin Ho invited Hoshi to his flat for dinner. He was absolutely starved but his eating-out budget had been exceeded by his date with Mizu, so he needed to eat at home. Jin Ho was very meticulous and careful with his finances, keeping a colour-coded written account and making sure each yuan was accounted for.

He had on hand basic ingredients for the foods he’d grown up with, and that evening soondubu jjigae* in particular sounded delicious. He had made the spicy gochu yangnyum sauce for the broth of the soup a week ago, and it kept for a few weeks. Jin Ho liked to keep things like that on hand. He loved the smooth, silky texture of soft tofu jjigae. Humming softly, he got to work cooking. Hoshi liked the whole egg dropped in the bottom of her jigae so that it would half-cook by the time the soup was almost gone.

When the knock to his door came the soup was halfway ready and two mugs of tea were already made. Opening the door, Jin Ho smiled. “I made soondobu jjigae,” he said. “I hope you’re hungry!”

Sweeper had been more melancholic and lazy than usual, and did not bother to get up from his fluffy rag bed on the floor. Jin Ho spared a glance for the old dog, smiling a little.

He handed Hoshi her cup of tea and closed the door after her. His hair was still wet and loose; he had to air-dry the stuff before braiding or else it would never dry! And he hated sleeping with completely wet hair. It was like having a wet blanket around his head.

Jin Ho returned to the kitchen to mind the soup. "How's eemo?" he asked, using the familiar, sweet term for aunt that he often used for Mrs. Jeon.

* soondobu jjigae is a spicy soft tofu soup.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 2, 2012 19:31:06 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 2, 2012 22:37:23 GMT -6

Since Jin Ho didn't have the day off, Hoshi spent her time getting into a nice new book. It was a mystery novel, one about a dog who helped his owner solve crimes. Wasn't that just a hoot? Hours passed as she read about the dog's exploits - pointing out clues his owner had missed, sniffing out the crime scene - and it was nightfall by the time she finished. Switching on the light, she picked up the phone and called for Jin Ho, hoping he had finished his shift.

Thankfully, he did. After exchanging pleasantries and checking up on each others' day, Jin Ho invited her over to his flat for dinner. As he was an excellent cook, Hoshi happily agreed, hanging up the phone with a smile. She took extra care to get ready. She brushed her bobbed hair carefully, applied just the right amount of jasmine-scented perfume behind her ears and on the insides of her wrists, and slipped into an ankle-length green skirt and a collared off-white blouse. The trim on the blouse was decidedly Earth Kingdom, the lace showing the distinct "Earth" symbol. Hoshi frowned; she hadn't noticed it when she bought the blouse; she tried to dress as non-specifically as possible. In Republic City, declaring your allegiance one way or another always brought more trouble than it was worth — whether from Equalist-sypathisers, whatever they were, or from the Triads, if you were a non bender or just weaker than them.

With a light sweater draped across her arm, Hoshi grabbed her purse, a small container of banchan she had in her icebox, and left the small light in the kitchen on before leaving her flat. Making sure the door was locked tight, she practically flew down the stairs in her excitement. Waving down a cab — a luxury she rarely used — she made it to Jin Ho's in near-record time.

It took Jin Ho a moment to come to the door; when it opened, he greeted her with a smile and magic words: I made soondobu jjigae. With a little squeal, Hoshi stepped inside. "That sounds wonderful!" her voice was enthusiastic as she scratched Sweeper behind the ear by way of greeting. The old dog seemed a bit more lethargic than normal, and she rubbed him on the head and murmured his good-dog praises. She made her way to the table and set down her container. "I didn't know what we were eating," the woman began, "but I brought some banchan anyway. Narook recommended it to me, said it went along with any type of dish."

She probably ate at Narook's too much. Not that the proprietor would ever tell her that.

Hoshi turned to face her best friend, eyes shining and a grin on her face. "It smells so~o~o~o good in here!" she breathed, holding her arms out for a hug.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 5, 2012 18:47:48 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 5, 2012 15:16:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 5, 2012 15:16:36 GMT -6

Jin Ho smiled, taking the container, simultaneously shifting damp hair back over his shoulder. It was heavy when wet! "I'm sure it'll be fine with it," he said. Almost everything went with soondobu jjigae, which was one of the reasons he loved it. Well, that and his childhood. His personal motto when it came to tofu soup was "the redder, the better." He loved it extra, extra spicy! Luckily, Hoshi knew how he was likely to make it. "Come on in — I'm just finishing, okay?"

Of course she'd want to sit, so Jin Ho motioned to a chair for her. His mother had taught him to offer a beverage to visitors and so he went back to the kitchen to get one for her.

"Cute Earth Kingdom dress," he commented, setting glasses of water on the tiny kitchen table. Jin Ho had a small, modest space, but he had managed to make it very organized and livable. The kitchen table could fold its legs away, making it easy to store if needed.

The garlic was sauteed in sesame oil before he added it to his tofu, cooking them together for a bit before adding broth. Then gochujang, blooming red. The kitchen began to smell very spicy indeed! He dropped a whole egg into Hoshi's soup and set it before her, going back for his own. Jin Ho liked to break his egg up and stir it all around, and he came back to the table doing just that.

With a satisfied sigh, he breathed in the smell of the soup. "Perfect, right?" he asked. "Just like when we were kids." Jin Ho's mother always made soondodu jjigae very spicy, while Mrs. Jeon made it less so. Obviously, Jin Ho had learned from — and preferred — his mother's.

As they ate he glanced at her carefully. She looked much better, really. That flush to her cheek was back and she didn't seem nervous. Jin Ho was relieved to see Hoshi looking back to normal.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 5, 2012 19:00:44 GMT -6

Hoshi took the proffered water eagerly. Aside from tea, water was her favourite beverage. It was so refreshing. Jin Ho complimented her on her Earth Kingdom dress, and the woman made a face. "Thanks, but I wish I hadn't bought it." She plucked at the lace, fingering the design gingerly. "You know what it's like around here for regular people, if you show any sort of relationship to a Nation." By 'regular' people, Hoshi meant not-Police. She didn't know how much he got about it while he was working. Equalist-sympathiser and Triad alike tended not to openly mock the police. "It's too bad," she said mournfully. "It's such a cute blouse."

The smell of sauteed garlic filled the air, and Hoshi's stomach grumbled. Cooking-wise, the smell of sauteed garlic was one of her favourites. Her mouth watered with anticipation. She knew when Jin Ho added the gochujang; her eyes began to water from the spicy aroma. He soon set her serving in front of her, the egg in her bowl just waiting for her to get to it like a tantalising prize. Jin Ho sat down with his own bowl, and she knew he had already broken his egg. She shook her head good-naturedly. "Blasphemy!" she teased.

Perfect, right? Just like when we were kids.

Hoshi murmured her agreement, her mouth full of the deliciously spicy broth. Her mother always made it slightly milder than Jin Ho's mother, but she liked both dishes — well, maybe liked her mother's a little more, but that couldn't be helped. She had that more often, after all.

Out of the corner of her eye, Hoshi caught Jin Ho looking at her. She swallowed her mouthful. "What?" she asked, giggling a little. "Why do you look so relieved?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 6, 2012 0:08:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 6, 2012 0:08:49 GMT -6

Jin Ho began eating his soup, eyes closing with pleasure as he tasted it. He truly did love food. And food was something everyone had in common — despite language barriers or bending or nations or anything else, everyone could enjoy food when it was delicious. There was a commonality in it that he thought was just... beautiful. And food could be such a comfort!

The memorable meals in people's lives take place in the presence of friends and family. Dishes we cook for those we love leave indelible impressions in our minds, like culinary timestamps. Sitting down to the soup with Hoshi was like opening a time capsule, and it reminded Jin Ho of playing outside in the snow as a child, coming in to spicy warmth and laughter from their combined families. It was a warmth brought on not only by the spice of the dish, but also by the feelings attached to it.

Hoshi teased him about his egg, but he just shrugged. Jin Ho liked the bits of egg! He liked to eat it all together! His friend, however, ate it like his father, with the whole egg at the bottom to finish it off. Personally, Jin Ho never wanted to wait for his eggy deliciousness. Why should he?

He blushed when Hoshi caught him looking at her, and then smiled. "I am relieved," he confessed. "I was worried about you! But you look like you're feeling better. Back to normal?" The soup maybe helped. It at least helped Jin Ho!

The young policeman was a bit tired after so much working, and he still had more to do. He ought to go see Mizu, but time felt like it was so scarce. Sweeper padded in to the area, sitting down and resting his head in Jin Ho's lap. He slowly rubbed the bridge of the dog's nose. "Good boy," he said.

Looking back at Hoshi, he quirked an eyebrow. "Anything new in your life?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 7, 2012 15:37:04 GMT -6

Sweeper padded slowly into the room, the old dog resting his head in Jin Ho's lap. Hoshi smiled at him fondly. Sweeper had been around for a long time, and it looked like age was catching up to him. He seemed content to let Jin Ho pet him, though, and closed his eyes lazily. Jin Ho looked back at her, and asked if there was anything new in her life. She shrugged.

"Not really," she said, taking another bite of food. "Just the same old — though Dae-ho and his mother don't come to the Cafe anymore." The corners of Hoshi's mouth twitched. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, hm?" Hoshi took a drink of tea, feeling a little hot under the collar from the spice. The woman waved her utensils at her friend. "But come now, tell me how your date with Mizu went. We never got to discuss it." The familiar twist in her stomach was back, though less than before. Hoshi supposed she was getting used to the idea of Jin Ho dating; since he'd been seeing Mizu, he seemed to have a new bounce in his step. His smiles came more easily, and he seemed more relaxed. She smiled a little smile as she waited for his response. If Mizu made him happy, then she would support it.

A clink of utensil against bowl, and Hoshi looked down, surprised to see she was about halfway done with her jjigae. She contemplated breaking her egg — she loved eggs — but decided against it. Jin Ho was such a wonderful cook; not for the first time in her life, she thought how lucky the person he chose would be to have him.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 8, 2012 22:38:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 8, 2012 22:38:51 GMT -6

“Of course not,” said the young man blandly, concentrating on his food. It didn’t matter what he said, of course. Hoshi knew he had had more than something to do with the sudden disappearance of Dae-ho from the Lotus Café. Jin Ho had seen to it that not only would Dae-ho never come back to the café, but his mother would be too embarrassed to show her face, either.

Good riddance.

"But come now, tell me how your date with Mizu went. We never got to discuss it."

“Oh –“ Jin Ho blushed and looked down at his bowl. “It was, you know. It was nice. I had a good time. We just had dinner, that’s all.” He paused in his eating. “We went to Narook’s and just talked. It was kind of nerve-wracking?” Then he laughed and went back to eating his soup. There wasn’t much more to tell about his date, honestly. No goodnight kiss, no walk in the park, no romantic moments… not really. “I think he likes me well enough, but it’s hard to tell.”

Jin Ho finished off the last of his soup and went back for more. He always ate two bowls of soondobu jjigae. When he sat back down, he shrugged. “He’s very uh, quiet. I told him about the accident, but – we didn’t really talk about it a lot.” Which was a relief. “Mostly we talked about things we like. I guess that’s typical first-date stuff, isn’t it?”

He didn’t count their tea at the Lotus Café as a real date.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 10, 2012 2:14:45 GMT -6

She knew that look. He was obviously lying, and they both knew it. Hoshi let it go, though. She was appreciative. Dae-ho was not a welcome guest in their shop to begin with, not since their first encounter with his slovenly habits. But money was money, and since he wasn't (at the time) a bad customer in terms of paying for his meal, he had been allowed to say. Hoshi had a sneaking suspicion that Jin Ho had also given her mother what for, since umma had been more than understanding when she said she hadn't wanted to go out with Dae-ho again.

Her best friend blushed and stared at his jjigae. His lackluster review on the date made Hoshi frown. "That's it?" she demanded, a light in her eye, trying to get Jin Ho to look at her. "Nothing? No kiss? No hug, even? Are you seeing each other again?" Her own meal was mostly finished by this time, and she whacked open her egg with gusto and redirected annoyance. That Mizu better not be playing Jin Ho, or so help her there would be hell to pay.

Jin Ho got up for his customary second bowl, and Hoshi nibbled her egg, spooning the delicious whites and yolk out from the shell with a spoon. "Did you enjoy yourself, at least?" the earthbender asked around her mouthful of egg. "I mean, really enjoy yourself, you're not just being polite?" She eyed him as he sat down and shrugged.

I told him about the accident, but — we didn't really talk about it a lot.

Her annoyed look softened, and she reached out to grasp Jin Ho's hand. "Did that go okay?" she asked gently, knowing that it was important. Jin Ho may not like talking about the accident, but it was such an important and major part of his life to this day. An entire mode of transportation, unavailable to him, because of what had happened. Nightmares that plagued him repeatedly. If Mizu was going to be a part of Jin Ho's life — and really a part of his life, not just a halfhearted attempt at it — then he was going to have to understand and accept it.
This user is Mod