The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Golden Fan Saloon

Anonymous
May 23, 2012 10:48:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 23, 2012 10:48:56 GMT -6

Not her problem. Right. That was all well and good for Ling, but Katsumi wouldn’t get off so easily, and would probably be on the receiving end of a lecture before the night was over. The saloon might have a reputation for being rowdy—and really, what could you expect from a place that got people as drunk as they could afford—but fights were not appreciated by the owner, who wanted to make sure that anyone who wanted could visit the bar without fear of getting punched in the face. Whenever brawls broke out, all of the saloon’s employees got slaps on the wrist. It was never anything major for the dancers—the bouncers got the worst of it—but it was still an annoyance she’d prefer to avoid.

Luckily, there was a ray of sunshine to brighten up what had turned into a less-than-stellar evening. The dancer smiled as Ling split the money and gave her half. A thousand and a half yuans. Not a bad haul, and much more money than she would have made tonight without her friend’s assistance. It was difficult for Katsumi to stay mad at Ling when the other woman was earning her money. As stressful as some of their collaborations were, there was always a good payoff. Surely that was worth a little trouble every once in a while. Of course, there was still the matter of Ling’s as of yet unspoken thought concerning her…

As her friend began speaking, Katsumi wasn’t sure where she was going. She did nod at Ling’s assessment of waitressing jobs, which in her mind were just a very small step above dancing for a living. It was sounding like her friend was thinking of ways to get more money to help her mother. A noble goal, but how would it be accomplished? Was Ling suggesting bringing Mei into their games? No, of course not. Her worries about the fight proved that incorrect. What, then?

What? Katsumi shook her head, making sure that she was hearing correctly. A detective agency? Seriously? What was Ling on about? She knew her friend wasn’t drunk—at best she could only be considered tipsy, considering that her drinks had been watered down—so she must be serious. The dancer was silent as the other woman explained. More corruption than the cops knew? If that was so, how did Ling know about it? Better not to ask, she told herself. The less trouble she was aware of, the better.

So Ling and Mei were going to start up a detective agency—just the image was enough to make her chuckle—and she was being offered a place in it? That was, quite frankly, one of the strangest offers she’d ever received, and drunk men could be very imaginative. She sank back into her chair, her mind buzzing. Ling asked her to consider the offer, and Katsumi barely heard her. “Yeah…” she muttered, not paying much attention.

This was an opportunity. If she wanted to, she could quit her job at the saloon and go to work with the sisters at their agency. Their legitimate detective agency. The phrase was strange, even as just a thought. She’d read plenty of detective stories as a child, but had never imagined living that kind of life. Imagine! Her, a dancer and part-time waitress, solving crimes. It was ridiculous.

But who was to say that she didn’t need a little ridiculous in her life? At the moment her existence consisted of going to work, coming home, and sleeping. Her job had a modicum of excitement, but nothing she was particularly happy about. It would be nice to have a job where drunk men weren’t constantly leering at her or calling out lewd things in slurred speech. There was likely to be a lot less of that when working at a detective agency.

But, might she be trading a life of mild discomfort for something worse? In the stories she’d read, detectives were always getting lured into traps or getting ambushed by people who didn’t want their secrets exposed. Yes, that was fiction, but with the many gangs that claimed ownership of Republic City’s streets, the potential for danger in the investigative line of work was higher than she’d like. And while Ling could handle herself in a fight, the same could not be said for her, and she had no idea what Mei’s combat capabilities were. If things got heated on one of their…missions, or assignments, or whatever they were called…what guarantee was there that they would be safe? Katsumi knew that if she asked Ling about that, her friend would probably tell her that she could kick enough butt for all three of them, and not to worry about it. As nice as that was, it wasn’t exactly reassuring, or realistic.

Ling had given her a lot to think about, and Katsumi was doing her best to weigh pros and cons of the offer. Eventually, though, she knew she had to make a decision. Give up her current life, even just part of it, or stay with what she knew? Sighing, the dancer closed her eyes, shutting out all outside stimulus as best she could. When she opened them about a minute later, she had made her decision. Now there was nothing to do but wait for Ling to come back. Katsumi turned her eyes to the door, drumming her fingers on the table. What was taking her friend so long?

After a few minutes, Katsumi grew a little worried. While it was certainly possible that Ling was just taking a long walk, it was weird that she would drop a major offer like this and then disappear. Sure, it had given her much-needed time to think, but now that she had made her decision she wanted to tell her friend. Sighing, Katsumi stood, making her way toward the door. She’d go outside and look around the saloon for Ling. If her search proved fruitless she’d go back and continue waiting at the table. Besides, the idea of fresh air appealed to her as well after the brawl earlier.

The dancer stepped outside, calling, “Ling, I—” She cut herself off when she saw her friend, bruised and bloody, with one of the men from the card game—the angry one Ling had warned her about—standing over her cursing. It was obvious that he was the one who’d hurt Ling, and Katsumi hoped that her friend had managed to some serious damage, because he definitely deserved it. Looking around, she spotted Ling’s sister, who had apparently left the man they’d been drinking with. “What’s going on?” She mostly addressed the question to Mei, but kept her gaze on Ling, hoping that one of the two might make sense of the terrible situation.

This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: May 24, 2012 11:35:40 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 24, 2012 13:51:39 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
OOC: Feel free to NPC the guy as needed!

Through clouded vision, Ling could just make out Mei — beautiful, sweet Mei! — who seemed to have materialised out of thin air. Katsumi also appeared, presumably from the Saloon. The freckled girl wiped the blood from her face, allowing herself a moment to let her guard down, now that help had arrived. With some difficulty, she leaned up against the Saloon wall, the exertion of effort making her gasp and wince in pain. Her head throbbed, and she could see the edges of her vision starting to darken. "Katsumi, Mei," she managed to snark, "You remember my good friend, Sir Bad-at-Cards?" She couldn't help it. Bruised, bloody, and probably broken (at least, her nose was), and she was still cracking jokes. She really needed to stop doing that.

The man's already-ruddy face became even redder, though even in his drunken state he saw that he was at a disadvantage, with three-on-one, if just barely. Ling could see his intoxicated mind attempting to work it out, eyeing all three of them and labelling them as women. She could see it, see in his face that it equated as weak. She snorted. Guess again, buddy. She saw him gauging Mei, who had her water skein open and was already using her bending, poised to strike.

He was so close to her; she almost lost the contents of her stomach smelling the rancid breath and alcohol wafting from him. She waggled her knife a little more, and with the added threat of Katsumi and Mei's presence, the man slowly backed away.

"I jus... I jus' wan' my money back," he slurred, looking at them somewhat helplessly. Ling shrugged him off. "Don't bet what you can't afford to lose," she said flatly, spitting out a mouthful of blood at his feet. "I have no idea who that guy was, okay?" Ling wobbled, pitched forward slightly, then caught herself. "I have never seen him before." She reached in her coat pocket and held out the deck of cards. "Look for yourself, okay? I showed you my sleeves..." The cards fell from her hand, scattering in the wind as the freckled woman lost her balance again. She caught herself before she fell on the man, but clearly she was in no position to stand.

The young woman tentatively took a few steps back, her free hand feeling for the wall. She leaned on it again, breathing heavily. Concussion, probably, she thought to herself, fighting the urge to throw up.

"I think it's time for you to leave, sir." Ling said with as much contempt as she could muster. "I am going to sit down now," she added, "but if you would care to dance I am sure one of these lovely ladies will oblige." And with that, Ling slid to the ground to rest. She still gripped her knife tightly, inwardly daring the man to come closer. From this angle, she could do a lot of damage...
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:11:34 GMT -6
ailin
May 24, 2012 19:35:18 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 24, 2012 19:35:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
They were joined by the waitress, Katsumi, who wanted to know what had happened and got an answer from Ling in typical Ling fashion. The man had lost his game and wanted recompense. His eyes darted around, flitting from one woman to the other. His eyes had that glassy confused look of a drunk, a person who had latched on to one idea in the haze of alcohol. The lone thought in a sea of ale.

All he wanted was his money back. In the midst of wobbling and spitting up blood, Ling attempted to show there had been no cheating on her part. She held out her cards, stumbled and they spilled onto the street. Several of them floated and spun, lost to a gust of wind. Mei twitched, wanting to move forward, all of her focus on her baby sister. The injuries were worse than she had thought and time was ticking away.

Ling told the man to leave and then sunk to the ground while keeping a tight grip on her knife. For the second time that night someone Mei cared about had been injured, had sunk to the ground in pain. Mei felt her heart thud in her chest and her stomach become a lump of rock that tumbled in a bucket of acid.

“I am not here to dance,” Mei said, staring at the drunken man. It was hard with her sister’s sitting form.

The man staggered a little, his unfocused gaze going from her to Ling. His leg was stained with red and his face held a mixture of anger, helplessness and confusion. “I’m not…not gonna be cheated,” he mumbled. His hand clenched.

“Stand aside, sir,” Mei replied.

Instead he lurched forward in an uncertain move. It was impossible to tell whether it was a tackle or a punch without an actual swing to go with it. Mei jabbed her left arm out as she sidestepped. The stream of water shot out, froze, and collided with the drunken man as he fell. It hit him in the upper chest, and held him for a second before it cracked, shattered into innumerable pieces, and the man fell the rest of the way to the pavement with a dull thud.

She stared down at his groaning crumpled form. “I thought that would catch you,” she said. “I’ll see to you after I tend to my sister, sir.”

Stepping over the drunken man, Mei ran the last few steps until she was in front of Ling. She knelt down, pulling the rest of the water with her. With a semi-circular motion of her arms, the water leapt to life, surrounded her hands and began to glow.

“Hold still, Ling,” Mei said, aiming for the broken nose first (it was a night for them, wasn’t it?), “I’ll have it healed in a minute…”
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 24, 2012 20:09:58 GMT -6

As always, Ling found herself mightily impressed with Mei's bending. She had never been jealous of her sister's abilities (who'd want to splash around in water all day, how boring) but she recognised both the practicality and the frivolous side of the gift. Her big sister stepped over the drunkard's now-prostate form, running the rest of the way too her. The younger sibling gave a half-cocked grin, flashing her gappy two front teeth. "Hello to you, too," she managed to say, her head pounding like a thousand drumbeats inside her skull.

But when Mei reached for her nose Ling jerked away, scraping the back of her head a bit on the rough wall, her cowlicks bobbing pitifully. "Nu-uh," she said shaking her head gingerly. "None of that, Mei, I'm fine. Just a little dizzy." She struggled to her feet, determined to make it back to the Saloon for a drink on her own two feet. She wibbled and wobbled, but at least made it upright. The freckled Yao held out a hand to help her sister up. "I need a stiff drink after all that, don't you?"

Stupid, said that annoying little voice in her head. It conveniently always seemed to pop up with advice AFTER something bad had already happened. Accept it! But no, she wouldn't. While it was convenient that Mei was a healer, Ling couldn't always count on her sister to come to her rescue right in the nick of time. Not to say that Mei was unreliable, by any means, but Ling didn't want to be babied. She would go to a healer, like everyone else, and learn to deal with the pain. But first, she really needed that drink.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:13:46 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 24, 2012 21:24:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2012 21:24:37 GMT -6

Only Ling could joke while obviously in a lot of pain, struggling to stand. Katsumi couldn’t help shake her head in bemusement at her friend’s choice of words. She didn’t bother to tell the injured woman that coming up with insulting names for her attacker wasn’t the best idea. Ling might not always know when she was crossing a line, but surely her current situation was bad enough to merit thinking before she spoke. If not, well, Mei looked like she was ready to gut the guy looming over her sister. The dancer wasn’t sure what help she’d be—she had no water of her own to bend and no actual weapons to wield—but maybe her presence would be enough to aid in scaring the drunk off. He was clearly outnumbered. Even if he’d already roughed Ling up a little, there was no way he could take down all three women if they worked together. At least, that was the hope.

As Ling sunk down to sit against the wall, Katsumi kept her eyes on the man. Every movement he made was sluggish, miscalculated. The only reason he’d managed to hurt Ling was because he’d surprised her. It was clear that he’d have no chance in a fair fight, no matter who the opponent was. She watched as his eyes flickered from Ling to Mei and back again, probably trying to gauge which woman was the bigger threat and wondering just how badly he wanted his money back.

Apparently his greed overcame his sense of self-preservation, because he decided to lurch in Mei’s general direction. The woman easily avoided him, and in a quick display of excellent bending took him down. As Mei moved past the pathetic man, Katsumi kept a wary on the attacker. He looked down for the count, but she couldn’t be too sure. She’d watch out for any surprise recovery, just in case.

When Ling refused Mei’s help in favor of a drink, though, Katsumi turned her attention back to her friend. “Ling, are you crazy?” she asked, not bothering to soften her tone. “You are not fine. You’re hurt, and you can barely stand, and instead of help you want alcohol? That’s ridiculous! Let Mei heal you, and forget about booze. After the night you’ve had, that’s the last thing you need.”

Anonymous
May 25, 2012 3:48:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 3:48:15 GMT -6

[OOC--hope I'm not intruding. ><]

Raeya decided to mind her own business for as long as she could. she had had her share of thugs many a time, and knew not only that she would not be able to handle every thug that attacked every patron (or in some cases, even every thug that messed with her, if it was a particularly bad day), and that most bar patrons were not necessarily the helpless type. Thus, she saw little reason to get involved, and figured that they would go away with time.

some did, others didn't. a few of the more observant ones tried to catch a now tipsy Raeya off guard, as she was not stopping in her chain of drinks. by the time she noticed, there were men on both sides of her. However, it was not easy to fully inebriate Sakagami Raeya.

some started rambling to her, a few even using her name. she was familiar with these clowns. some started rambling about games they had lost to her, or games they had beaten her at an d that she had cheated them in, in regards to their winnings. some stories were true, others weren't. they started getting louder in their drunkenness.

"You owe us, Raeya!" one of them shouted.
"well," Reaya muttered, taking another shot from her mug, "seeing as the information you gave me was worth nothing... that's what I'm giving you ingrates."
She stood up and headed towards the exit, not wanting to get in another fight JUST yet--at least, not when there were bouncers around. But, it seemed that a fight was what she was fated for, because a couple of the men blocked her exit.
"Where do ya think y'er goin?" they smirked.
"out." she replied bluntly, kicking the man straight into the wall.
anyone directly outside the place would have heard the small and short-lived scuffle, and noticed a few seconds later that a black-eyed waterbender staggered out. while there were rapidly developing black wrings around her eyes, she seemed to have come off better, because one of the men who tried coming out after her was on the receiving end of her boot to shi face, kicking him back inside.

"well," she cracked her knuckles looking around, but then stopped, right as she heard a bit more commotion.

"well indeed," Raeya quipped, glancing at the individuals that she had just noticed. She was looking less than savory with her bruises and small cuts from the recent brawl, which, while short, had left an impact, "O stagger out from one fight and run into what looks to be the aftermath of another. what's all this idle chitter-chatter about, or am I to blame for it as well as anyone else?"
while easy to perceive as rude, Raeya's tone was light and not very serious. how the others took it... was up to them.

~Raeya~
Last edit by Deleted: May 25, 2012 3:55:57 GMT -6
ailin
May 25, 2012 19:31:38 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 25, 2012 19:31:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(OCC: Sorry for the shortness this time.)

A sensation of déjà vu overcame Mei but, she reminded herself, Iluak had at least been drinking before he was injured. He had also allowed her to help him, and even Mei knew that he was…on the prickly side sometimes. But Ling…she was family. If there was anyone who would know her capabilities, know how much good she could do for her, it was her little sister.

But Ling was content to stagger to her feet and wobble her way back into the Saloon. She even had the audacity to hold her hand out to help Mei to her feet.

Before Mei could reply Katsumi was telling Ling not to be crazy and accept the help. She had a better grasp of the situation than Ling did. Another woman appeared from within the Saloon, but seemed to be making light of the entire situation. There was nothing amusing about Ling’s injuries, her refusal for help, and there was nothing to blame this newcomer for either.

“Your friend’s right,” said Mei, rising to her feet. Her hands still dripped with glowing water, ready to help her sister at a moment’s notice, “you can’t ignore this. Let me help. I just fixed a broken nose a little while ago. Iluak even said it was adequate and for him that’s a compliment.”

It couldn’t be a matter of Mei’s capabilities, it just couldn’t. Ling had always been supportive, and had always believed in her big sister’s abilities. It wouldn’t make any sense for her to abandon that now. Mei sighed and frowned. None of this seemed right, and even her extreme patience was wandering towards its limits. Ling was funny, she was always funny, but that didn’t lessen her need.

“Now stand still,” Mei commanded, moving to close the distance between the sisters. “You’re not getting a drink until you’re better.”
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 26, 2012 12:49:20 GMT -6

OOC: Sorry for the delay, had some other stuff to take care of. Sorry for the short post.

She waved her hand dismissively in Katsumi's direction. "Okay, maybe I'm not 'fine'," the freckled girl admitted, "but I can still walk. I'm going to need a drink to be able to make it to the clinic." Ling looked at her sister, her bloodied expression somewhat apologetic. She shuffled away from her grasp. "I can't get used to you rescuing me, Mei," she said softly, hoping the waterbender would understand. It wasn't about Mei's abilities, it wasn't about any doubt she had in her sister, it was simply the fact that Mei just wasn't guaranteed to always be around — and Ling needed to get used to being able to amble on her own two feet when she was injured. Aside from her nose and a mild concussion, there was nothing physically wrong with her. The nosebleed had stopped entirely by now, and even with one eye swelling up she could still see.

It finally registered that a fourth person — not counting the drunk guy — had arrived on the scene. Ling blinked as her eyes drifted up from booted feet to a vision of ebony-curled beauty garbed in whites and browns. She felt herself go a little slack-jawed, and attempted to regain her composure by coughing. Okay, bad idea... she thought to herself as her vision momentarily swam. After a pause, Ling looked up at the back-lit beauty --she seemed to be haloed in light-- out of her one good eye and attempted a smile. "Hello," she said lamely.

She could've smacked herself. "Hello" was the best she could muster when literally the most beautiful woman she had ever seen — and she had seen a lot of women — was standing in front of her? The freckled girl shrugged sheepishly, her cheeks flushing with heat unrelated to her injuries. "Uh, nice night for it, yeah?"

Lamelamelamelamelamelame!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:13:54 GMT -6
ailin
May 27, 2012 20:38:29 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 27, 2012 20:38:29 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
There was little doubt in Mei’s mind that if Ling had been on her own--completely and utterly--that she would be able to take care of herself. She would get injured, this scuffle was evidence enough of that, but she would live and she would do what she needed to survive. It was a hard instinct that the elder sister could appreciate, if not fully understand.

But Ling wasn’t on her own. Her sister was there, her sister was trained, and refusing quick treatment to prove her independence was prolonging the pain. It was unnecessary. A patchwork healing of her nose would at least give her enough relief to make it to the clinic without any sort of alcohol. Mei sighed. At least Iluak drank before his assault. Afterward could be a dangerous proposition.

Dangerous proposition and little sister didn’t fit in the same sentence if Mei-zhen could help it. That wasn’t often, but for once she was provided with the chance. “But I am here. Right now. Let me help your nose, at least, and then we can take you to Iluak’s.” It would be better not to wake him after all he had been through…but he was better, and fulfilled the “not-family rescuer” requirement if Ling was going to be stubborn. “No drinks until after we fix you up. I don’t want to take any chances.”

When Ling turned her attention to the newcomer, greeting her with a hello and a…less pithy-than-usual for her follow up, Mei threw up her water covered hands. She knelt down beside the sprawled drunken man, inspecting the gash in his leg. It wasn’t deep and could be fixed easily. Her hands hovered above the bleeding wound, her water sparkled golden in the reflected light from the Saloon. After a few seconds of concentration the skin left behind only a pink scar. The man groaned from the sidewalk.

“If you can’t handle the losses, I suggest finding another game to play,” she said softly. “Personally I’m not keen on card games. Too many rules.” Mei paused. “And do not do that again, please.”

Looking up, Ling still had that faraway glaze over her eyes, and her cheeks were flushed. It was difficult to tell whether that was from injury or from the newcomer. This would make it harder to drag Ling to Iluak’s. Both Yao sisters had spine and conviction, but only Ling was known for using it on a regular basis. Mei’s claim to showing a backbone was when her younger sister had been tempted to run back to the gangs for a quick yuan. That wasn’t a place she wanted Ling to go back to again, and lingering injuries ranked about as high as that.

“Ling,” she said, and her tone took on a command that was uncommon for her, “We either get you to Iluak’s now, or I patch up that nose and then we get you there. Either way, we need to get going. Your injuries are not to be laughed at.”
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 29, 2012 0:51:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 29, 2012 0:51:53 GMT -6

Despite a pair of black eyes, Raeya remained in high spirits. perhaps it was the alcohol dulling her anger, or she was just unfazed by what had gone down in there and was just living life--what she did best.

she had originally stepped outside just for a breath of fresh air, and to get away from those clowns inside. Alcohol did the darndest thing to people. Some were fun to be around, and Raeya called them 'happy drunks'. Others were angry drunks, and others still, were what the piratical woman referred to as "idiot drunks". the bumbling doofus on the ground--the only male in this little group--was clearly one of them."Lucky" as she had dubbed one of the men who had confronted her inside--was another.
Nonetheless, the scene she had stumbled across was not much different than her own. the injured woman even was polite enough to address her. Well, this was interesting.

"Hello," the brown-and-white-clad waterbender chimed in response, not finding the greeting to be subpar at all--it was short and simple, not some sort of elaborate introduction that Raeya would not likely care about. If someone needed an elaborate build-up just to introduce themselves, then they clearly thought too high of themselves for Raeya to take any interest in.
Obviously it was not like she would refuse anyone who said more than a hello, but she preferred to keep it simple. This woman had done so, only adding "Uh, nice night for it, yeah?"

She looked at the woman, and then touched her own face, namely a cut she had received on her cheek and then the sensitivity of her eyes thanks to the hits they had taken. Those might hurt later on. The woman who had addressed her didn't look to be in very good shape either. The fact that neither one was in very good condition and yet were smiling about it, took the waterbender's fancy.

"'Tis does seem like as good an evening as any to obtain injuries," she cooed. "but such DOES seem to be the way of taverngoers who drink or associate with drunks. I suppose some get used to it after a while, no?" She leaned in slightly to try and get better details of the faces she was looking down at, but she kept her distance, for at this point they were still total strangers.

"You can call em Raeya, by the way," she added, feeling that they could at least connect over a few cuts or bruises and hopefully a laugh or two, "did those drunken fools land a good one on you as well?"
she posed the question attached to the implication that they were the source of her own injuries. She wasn't bothered by it. Sure she usually got a couple of nasty wounds, some of which would scar, but she usually did more damage than she took because she knew not to drink so much as to turn herself into a bumbling buffoon. Her appearance didn't bother her right now though, especially since the woman addressing her didn't look too spiffy either with the blood and whatnot all over her face. Perhaps the most approving thing about this woman she had just met, was the fact that she seemed to have a relatively upbeat attitude for someone who had just gotten battered. Raeya knew that feeling and saw eye-to-eye with anyone who thought that way.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 29, 2012 17:30:21 GMT -6

OOC: Mei and Ling have to go to Iluak's for healing. Tenshio, Tenoko, if you want to continue privately with Ling for our separate plots, feel free to PM me. Or, we can all meet up again at the Saloon or somewhere else on a different night. Or, feel free to join us, I suppose! Raeya could probably do with some healing too. PS: Tenoko - love the Lucky reference!

It vaguely registered that Mei had gestured exasperatedly at her before turning and-— what, she had no idea. She lost track of Mei. She stared at the woman, Raeya apparently, with a breathlessness that had nothing to do with her broken nose. "I...uh..." Ling stammered, trying to bring her head out of the clouds and back to reality. Raeya was gesturing toward the drunk that lay prostate on the floor, Mei hovering over him doing some healing. "Oh, yes." She rolled her good eye, the other fast becoming swollen and black-and-blue. "Accused me of cheating him at cards with a plant." Ling spoke the word with disgust. She wasn't referring to foliage, but rather a person whose purpose in a game was to cause confusion or turn the tables with poorly played hands. Whatever tricks she employed, Ling always let the cards play out as they did, no sleight of hand, no false players at the table.

The freckled woman shrugged, gingerly shaking her head, her cowlicks waggling. "That's not my game," she murmured. "He hit me when I wasn't looking. I should've been more alert. My mistake. Be damned if it'll happen again."

She smiled up at the woman, who was slightly taller than her, it seemed. "I'm Ling," she said pleasantly, as if she had all the time in the world. "That lovely lady over there by the drunk is my sister, Mei-zhen, and that other lovely lady over there in the dance outfit is my friend Katsumi." Ling turned slightly to gesture, and noticed that Mei was glaring up at her from next to the drunk. Her normally pleasant eyes were stern, and her mouth was drawn into that taut, straight line that meant her fabled patience had finally worn thin.

Ling looked back at her, her face momentarily blank. She could stay, and talk to this lovely woman — she really wanted to! Every fibre of her being screamed to stay — but that would mean risking the wrath of a normally gentle creature. Mei had that look on her, that "Big sister don't take no sass" look she wore only when Ling was being particularly stubborn. Finally, she nodded. "Okay," she said defeatedly, disappointment evident in her tone.

Turning back to Raeya, she smiled apologetically. "We need to go to the clinic so I can get this--" Ling pointed at her clearly broken nose, "--looked at properly. Do you want to join us?" she asked brightly. Raeya had some injuries on her, too, so maybe they could go together! The young woman glanced at Katsumi, mouthing "You come too, okay?" silently. Turning back to Raeya, the freckled Ling smiled as winsomely as she could while sporting a face that looked like a Satomobile gave it a high-five. "What do you say?"

She held her breath and waited a response.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:14:05 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 29, 2012 19:59:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 29, 2012 19:59:33 GMT -6

It was good that Mei was on her side. Maybe between the two of them they could convince Ling that getting healed was more important than getting drunk. Why that wasn’t obvious to the injured woman in the first place, Katsumi couldn’t figure out. If she’d be in her friend’s position, and had someone ready and willing to heal her, she would have taken the help gratefully and immediately. Apparently she and Ling did not think the same.

The dancer looked toward the door of the saloon as another woman joined them. She hadn’t the newcomer in the bar earlier; maybe she’d entered in the middle of the fight. Well whoever she was, she somehow seemed to find humor in the state of things outside the saloon. Deciding to ignore the newcomer for now, Katsumi turned back to Ling, meaning to press the importance of Mei’s healing, but was surprised to see her friend openly staring at the fourth woman. When Ling called out to the woman, Katsumi rolled her eyes. She was injured, slumped against a wall, and yet still able to flirt. Well, at least that proved that her attacker hadn’t done any serious damage to her head. Still the same old Ling.

As Ling continued getting acquainted with her new crush, Katsumi watched, interested, as Mei tended to the man’s leg injury. She knew that Waterbending was useful for healing, but had never learned the art herself. She’d asked her father to teach her how to use her bending to fight, and so that’s all she had learned. What Mei was doing was far more useful, and far more exciting to watch. To Katsumi, the healing was as close as she ever get to seeing magic in the world.

All too soon the spectacle came to end and Mei was back to glaring at her sister. The dancer nodded in approval of the woman’s stern way of dealing with her sister. Ling was a bunch of fun to be around—if you didn’t mind the occasional spot of trouble—but Mei seemed to be the more sensible of the two, and right now sensibility was what was needed to make sure that Ling would soon be back to her rambunctious ways. Katsumi was growing to like the healer.

Finally, after introducing the group to the newcomer, Raeya, Ling saw sense and gave in to her sister’s command. When she asked Katsumi to join them on their trip to the healer’s place, she nodded. “Might as well go with you,” she said with a shrug. “It’ll probably take more than just Mei to keep you out of trouble. Besides, we need to talk about your proposal earlier. Just give me a second to let my boss know I’m leaving.” Smiling at her friend, the dancer ducked back into the bar, where she found the manager fretting over the damages from the brawl. He barely noticed when she told him she was taking off, only nodding and waving her off. That done, Katsumi went back outside, glad to see that the party hadn’t left without her. “Ready when you are.”
ailin
May 31, 2012 20:28:52 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 31, 2012 20:28:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Sighing, the healer allowed the shining glow of the water to fade and let it flow in a thin stream back into her waterskin. Her younger sister had that look about her, one Mei was sure she had used several times that evening with Iluak, the kind was the most unfocused focus there was. Where the world, except one, fell away, and everything came on pins and needles. Mei suspected her little sister was less a “romantic” than she was; Ling had always been more confident in the ways that mattered. Still, the star struck look was unmistakable, and it would not make this whole debacle any easier.

“We wouldn’t have to go to Iluak’s…” Mei sighed, and capped her waterskin. “Everyone is more than welcome to come, but if you don’t like waiting you’ll have to settle for my help.”

It wouldn’t do to mention that Iluak probably would be less than thrilled to wake up to a couple of patients, people that by all accounts his assistant could have handled. He was a man in serious need of a good night’s sleep, and now they were going to ruin that. What would he say to her, knowing that people had refused her care? Perhaps their possible date would go up in smoke in the wake of her utter incompetence of getting her own sister to accept her healing.

Mei clenched her jaw. That was a catastrophic hypothetical and it wouldn’t help to worry about it now. Iluak would be cranky, but that was a reasonable reaction, and she would have to go from there.

Katsumi agree to go with them, to help keep them out of trouble, and disappeared back into the Saloon momentarily to inform her boss. Mei smiled. Her little sister was the one who knew the dancer (and waitress), but it was soon becoming apparent that she was a good sort. Someone who was level headed and probably a good influence. She felt a sense of relief, knowing that Ling had a friend who watched out their well being.

The man on the sidewalk groaned and drooled, darkening the ground in the warm light from the Saloon. He would be there for a while, but at least when he came to he wouldn’t be bleeding all over the place. That was something she could tell Iluak…that the only person accepting of her help was the stranger who had hurt her sister.

…No, that wouldn’t be a good idea either.

Dashing back over the Saloon’s front steps and onto the sidewalk, Katsumi returned and announced she was ready to go. Mei nodded and sighed, motioning with her hand down the street.

“Let‘s go then,” she said. Mei sought out her sister, holding her arm out to offer stability to her for the walk there. Her expression was that same solid gaze she had given her only a few moments before. She had allowed the refusal of her care, but there was no chance she was going to let Ling refuse her help to get there. It was another line she had to draw, for herself it anyone. Her baby sister, one of the people she refused to ever let down. Ever.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 2, 2012 16:26:58 GMT -6

OOC: Since Tenoko hasn't posted in a couple of days, I'm just going to go ahead and move us to Iluak's. This post will be short; Tenshio, Ai Lin, feel free to reply to this post in the Nick-nack and Doodad Shops thread. Tenoko, if you read this, feel free to finish replying here, or jump straight into the other thread. :]]

Katsumi and Mei seemed ready and relatively anxious to go, so it was rather pressing for her to leave. With an apologetic smile at Raeya, she said, "Sorry, it looks like I'm being strong-armed away. If you want some healing, we're heading over to a clinic run by a guy named Iluak." Quickly giving accurate directions, Ling turned and joined her sister and friend. Waving farewell, Ling trudged forward, the smile wiped off her face. Her nose was throbbing now, and part of her was tempted to give into Mei's original offer. No, she told herself sternly. Gotta tough it out. Maybe if you hadn't been so distracted by Raeya... She took her sister's proffered arm, the adrenaline slowly ebbing out of her body. "Sorry," she muttered as they left Saloon property. "I don't know what came over me back there." She sighed, a bit wistfully. "She was really pretty, wasn't she?"

It was all Ling could do not to turn back and look to see if Raeya was following them. The woman's obvious scrapping skills, her manner of speech, and her looks —- oh spirits, her looks! —- had clearly made an impression on the younger Yao sister. Leaning her head gingerly against Mei's shoulder, the freckled girl sighed again. "I'm sorry, Mei," she said sweetly, sincerely. "It's not about your skills, you know that. And if Iluak insinuates otherwise, I'll slug 'im." Ling chuckled weakly. "No, no, just kidding. But I just need to do this for myself. Just humour me. I'll explain everything to him, don't worry. I won't let my stupidity get in the way of your romance. I promise."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:27:42 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 4, 2012 5:52:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 4, 2012 5:52:38 GMT -6

[OOC--oh... right. posting... forgot that my notifications only work for PMs.
sawwy if I caused any delay. xB]

Raeya was entertaining the idea of following this little band of fellows, simply because she had nothing better to do, and they were... interesting company, to say the least. She almost thought that this Ling woman had a crush on her. Not necessarily a bad thing, either. Surely she awsn't hard on the eyes when she was in better shape. But, Raeya's own experiences had her know without a shadow of a doubt that a broken nose could make even the prettiest face look less than savory. She'd frankly be find if Ling pushed these other two worrywarts away and stuck around. But alas, it seemed that it was not meant to be.

"Sorry, it looks like I'm being strong-armed away. If you want some healing, we're heading over to a clinic run by a guy named Iluak."

Raeya simply chuckled. "better to be strong-armed by someone who cares for your health rather than one who cares only for what's between your legs." she quipped. she liked this woman's humor. Well, that, and she figured that she could use a bit of healing herself. Hopefully this Iluak fellow didn't have high rates. Money was not exactly something Raeya was fond of giving up in generous amounts. Whatever the case, it would give her good company, and she didn't exactly want to turn around back to that saloon--not tonight anyways. she'd come back tomorrow night or something.

Thus, she tagged along. she kept a distance, as it seemed the older sister was a bit protective. then again, Raeya had had a good few drinks, and may not have been thinking straight. Perhaps more likely though, she simply didn't care, and was keeping her distance for no other reason than personal want. Whatever the case, she was following them.

~Raeya~