The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Golden Fan Saloon

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 4, 2012 11:55:41 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Dancers, music, alcohol, bar fights — what more can you ask for? The Golden Fan Saloon is one of the more popular — albeit rough — destinations in Downtown Republic City. The girls are pretty, the food is a wide range of dishes from all cultures, and the drinks are (relatively) cheap.

Don't take the girls for easy marks though. Each and every one of them can --and will-- teach you a lesson if they have too. Not to mention those muscle-y men at the door have their eye on all patrons.

[ OOC: This is a non-canon location. ]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 20:43:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 9, 2012 20:43:50 GMT -6

Iluak heard a trumpet and his mood darkened enough almost enough to create a black hole that sucked in and crushed any joy that existed in a certain radius.

"You didn't tell me there would be music tonight, you bastard," the ill-tempered doctor said to the bartender who served Iluak personally in order to save the other staff from the water bender's emotional miasma.
The bartender just sighed and left a bottle filled with an odd mixture of cactus juice and a tiny amount of rat viper venom. The other ingredients were no less horrific. The pickled snake inside the bottle stared at Iluak who stared back. To an observer the dead serpent had the livelier eyes.

"It's a jazz trumpet kinda night, my pickled friend," he said to the bottled rat viper. "If only you had more venom."

When the dark clouds come, blue bird fly in the night time. When trouble comes new love comes at the right time.
Iluak started to tune out the rest, but he knew that song wouldn't leave without a great deal of assistance. He slumped down further in his booth in the corner and rested his head on the table. It almost looked as if someone had left a dirty brown wig on the table next to a bottle.

"Don't look at me like that, rat viper...I didn't make an oath not to harm myself. Heh. That reminds of a joke...um, there's this clown and he's at the doctor and says he's depressed...can't remember the rest. " When he could no longer take the judgmental stare of the rat viper Iluak Chu turned the bottle so that the gaze faced the other way.
This user is a former member
ailin
May 9, 2012 21:35:13 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 9, 2012 21:35:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Trumpets wailed and the lyrics soared as the dancers moved to its effervescent beat. Mingled in with that was the shouts of orders, the clinking of glasses, and the swears of games lost. Everything about the Golden Fan lived up to its shining name.

The Yao sisters entered, and the live music immediately put a wide grin on the waterbender’s face. Ling had put her concerns about the record to rest—she had a way of doing that with only a few words and a sweet giggle—but it took until the two walked into the saloon for Ma-ma’s possible ailing health to shift back in her mind. It would be there waiting, but there was no harm in enjoying their time there while they were there. Make the most of things; that was nothing if not one of her life mottos. Always wash your hands was another. Less applicable at the current moment, of course.

A crowd of people shouted, a sound made of equal parts cheer and disappointment, and Mei suspected one of the games had just ended. Ling was good at those sorts of card games—pub based fun in general really—though Mei was pretty sure some her little sister’s good luck was manufactured. It seemed like a core rule of the game, the kind of thing that everyone did but wasn’t supposed to catch onto. If you were caught then you didn’t deserve to win. Those games were never about the rules presented, but the ones unspoken. The whole point was subterfuge, and body language, at least that was as far as Mei could get with them. It seemed strange to have an entire game and its set of rules on top of what they were really doing; card games were enough on their own, weren’t they?

The crowd around one of the tables shouted again, and it seemed they were getting ready for another round. Behind them the band continued to move and wail a tune that was very unlike the moody piece she had bought just a little while before. It was happy, energetic, and completely engaging.

Mei motioned to the tables and the bar. “Where should we sit? It looks pretty busy tonight.”
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 9, 2012 22:07:27 GMT -6

The lively trumpet blarings were enough to make any one want to get up and dance. Ling was already bouncing as she entered the Golden Fan — her home away from home, she thought fondly. She could hear the cheers and jeers of some game, ending by the sound of it. A grin spread across Ling's freckled face as she eyed the patrons, keeping an eye out for a familiar face.

And she found one; if possible, the woman's smile got even wider. "Oh, let's sit at a table," she replied, not bothering to look. "I have a feeling that some other people might join us." Without hesitating, Ling plopped herself down at the nearest table. With her and Mei, there were four available seats. She tipped her chair back, gesturing for her sister to turn around. "Sit down, though. Look over there." Ling's voice was impish. "I see so~o~o~o~omeone~"

She looked to her sister's face, waiting for her expression. Mei was possibly the most adorable thing when she was embarrassed or flustered — or both! — and it was a priceless face. Ling waved her arm around, hoping to catch a server's attention. Her gesture earned a few catcalls — for Mei, most likely — and shouts of recognition for her. She ignored them, though kept a mental tally of which tables seemed the drunkest. Mei was right. It was busy tonight.

And busy nights always turned a good profit.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:15:30 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 10, 2012 1:59:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2012 1:59:29 GMT -6

OOC: Let me know if anything needs changing. Writing in the middle of the night makes for strange postings.

The music was particularly festive tonight. Katsumi appreciated that. Dancing was always more enjoyable when the music was fun. Usually the music was supposed to be seductive, with the dancing tailored to match. Tonight, though, the mood was just happy, and she was more than willing to dance along. As long as the drunks had something pretty to look at, they were happy, and that meant she got to keep her job. It was a simple existence, but she enjoyed it nonetheless.

The song to which she had been dancing ended, and the woman took the opportunity to leave what passed for a stage in the saloon and wander out among the many patrons scattered around the place. While she always made sure to keep some distance between her and the drunkest of the lot, she did enjoy surveying the crowd for familiar faces. Being heckled by drunks was always easier to handle when there was someone around to watch her back.

Unfortunately, Katsumi didn’t see anyone she knew. She was just about to return to the stage as the beginning notes of a new song filled the air, but then caught sight of someone she knew. The dancer smiled as Ling entered the saloon, followed by a woman Katsumi had been told was her sister. Just like that, her day got a whole lot better. Ling was one of her favorite regulars. With the woman came good conversation and a bit of extra money. What was there not to like about that?

Katsumi watched as Ling and her sister made their way over to a table and sat, then ambled over there herself when Ling waved for a server. Strictly speaking, Katsumi was only employed as a dancer, but she also worked as a waitress when one of the other girls was absent. Besides, it was much easier to plot with Ling when she was waitressing. Dancers didn’t get many chances to converse with those watching them, and wouldn’t if they could. Drunks had few things on their brains, none of them pleasant. She much preferred Ling and the other mostly-sober types.

Reaching the table, the dancer smiled at the two women seated before her. “Welcome to the Golden Fan,” she said. “What can I get you two?” As she finished her question, she tilted her head toward the loud group of drunks who’d been betting and yelling about betting all day. This was a subtle signal to Ling that the men were easy targets and that there was money to be made from them. When Ling came in alone, Katsumi’s signals were more obvious—covert whispers, shoulder taps, that sort of thing—but she didn’t know if Mei what her companion got up to in the saloon. Better to play it safe, just in case.
Last edit by Deleted: May 10, 2012 11:33:25 GMT -6
ailin
May 10, 2012 15:51:50 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 10, 2012 15:51:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ling bounced all the way to the table and into the chair, and managed to keep looking like she was bouncing as she tipped her chair back and told Mei to look around. Her tone was the “I know something you don’t” that siblings reserved for when they knew something funny was going to happen to the other, like Ma-ma making them wear an ugly outfit because it was “darling.”

Mei took her seat, noting the extra chairs. That probably meant company sometime that evening, and Ling doing what Ling always did: have a good time. There were occasions where a “good time” turned into a “rowdy time” which meant punches and assorted violence. Between that and the card game that ran on two rules, Mei sometimes wondered if she just had no idea what fun was. People said probending was fun; she thought it was a dumbing down of the art of bending. Fun, to her, was a book to read while a song played on the phonograph.

“No one is going to throw a custard at me if I look around, right?” she asked as she turned to follow her sister’s gaze.

A bartender stood behind the counter pouring a line of drinks into several glasses while several people sat on the stools and cheered him on. That was nice, but probably not what Ling meant. Nor was she staring at the people in the middle of the floor dancing up a storm, using steps that looked so confusing to Mei she couldn’t comprehend how they did them. Their father had once told her that dancing was like bending, but she couldn’t see it now. No, that wasn’t it either. Mei stretched her neck and looked to the corner booth, where a bottle with a rat viper on it stared out at them and next to it was a familiar shape dominated by dirty brown hair.

Mei’s cheeks turned pink. She grinned and waved, though it looked more like an overly enthusiastic flail. “Iluak! Hello!”

She spun back around and stared at the table, drumming her fingers on it. “I think I did that wrong.” Looking up, Mei noticed the dancer who had approached them as a waitress. “Oh, er, you first, Ling.”

She debated turning around again to wave Iluak over. It was possible that he was just trying to…well, enjoy was not the right word because that really wasn’t the body posture of someone living it up. Decompress…or relax…those were more accurate, Mei. The point was that Iluak could just be trying to have some time to himself and being waved over by the enthusiastic assistant would make him feel obligated to be social when he just wanted to be alone.

Or, he could use a bit of company, her mind objected. He worked himself to the point of exhaustion all the time and it could do him some good to have someone around to take his mind off of it for a minute.

Mei’s eyebrows narrowed. Then the assistant from the clinic would be a bad choice to “take his mind off of work.” She was a living, breathing reminder of everything waiting for him once he left the saloon.

Or, again, her mind argued back, you’re over thinking things because you’re nervous. It’s been known to happen.

Also true. It did have a tendency to happen, especially when she simultaneously admired the doctor and didn’t want to disappoint him. Seeing him happy wouldn’t be bad either, but that would take serious effort.

Shrugging her thoughts off for the second time that evening, Mei turned back around to look at the booth and flail-waved.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 10, 2012 17:33:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2012 17:33:50 GMT -6

"She's not going to stop flailing around like that, you know?" Iluak imagined the snake in his bottle saying. Iluak couldn't deal with enthusiastic people. He'd have better luck trying to understand a creature living on the ocean floor.
He looked up and tried to think of excuses not to go over.
Don't feel like it.
Too drunk.
Not drunk enough.
It would be awkward.

Iluak closed his eyes and imagined what his closest un-bottled friend would say. The situation had come up before any time a woman had looked Iluak's way. His friend would tell him to go over there and then threaten to stab him in the neck if he did not.
The mental projection of his only living friend, who in his case was an annoying enemy, began to list the reasons he should join her.
She's cute.
The snake in his bottle agreed and he was out-voted.

To look at least half-way presentable Iluak ran his fingers through his hair and tied it back with a small piece of brown twine that came with an old package he was once delivered. "She's just being friendly to her boss," he muttered to himself. "She's has better options. She's just being polite. Exchange greetings and then let her enjoy her night. Okay? Okay?"

The healer smiled and pulled up a chair as if his body openly rebelled against his pessimism.
"Miss Yao...Mei..." he smirked bitterly at how awkward he sounded. "Long day. There's a bout of food poisoning going around so lots of expelled contents around the clinic today."
He sarcastically complimented his smoothe bile-filled anecdote as he sat down. "Let me try again. Mei-Zhen, it is nice to see you."

The imaginary friend cheering him on gave him an imaginary nudge.
Now tell her how sexy she looks and suggest teaching her some more anatomy.
The way he imagined his friend was usually a little more risque than she actually was, but not by much.
"You look nice. How have things been? Keeping up with your studies?"
He mentally groaned. Socializing wasn't easy.
ailin
May 10, 2012 18:31:07 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 10, 2012 18:31:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
She hadn’t heard about the food poisoning. Mei pursed her lips for a moment and regretted that she had made no appearance at the clinic since earlier that week. It had been her shift at the restaurant, and day shifts were always preferable to the nights. The yuans were necessary, at least until she and Ling worked out what they were going to do together, but her stomach still twisted uncomfortably. She had been needed at the clinic, at home…there was just too few hours in the day.

The record sitting at home felt all the more extravagant and useless at that moment.

“I’m sorry,” Mei pulled off her hat and twisted it in her hands for a moment before placing it on the table, “I can come in tomorrow earlier if you’d like.”

It had been said that when it came to certain jokes Mei-zhen was not only slow on the uptake, she had no uptake, taking them literally. This extended to registering compliments, as it was several seconds before any of the rest of what Iluak had said sunk in. When it did, her face brightened and she smiled.

“Th-Thank you. And please, it’s Mei,” she said. She motioned to Ling, leaning back in her chair. “I think you’ve met my younger sister Ling before, yes?“ She paused for a moment before continuing, “Things have been good. Busy in the regular work sense, but good. I have been studying some in depth charts about the circulatory system though and it’s been really fascinating. And helpful!” Her smile broke into a beaming grin as she started speaking about her real work.

Her studies had taken time, and most nights the young woman set aside a few hours to make sure that practice or reading was done daily. When her schedule was at its busiest, those study hours would come out of her sleeping time, but it was more than worth it. There were years of medical knowledge that she was behind on, anatomical charts, herbal remedies, waterbending techniques, chi pathways, the list went on. If she wanted to be good, and if she wanted to keep up with Iluak, she needed to be dedicated. Dependable.

“How have you been?” she added, leaning forward a little. “You’ve been sleeping enough, right? Because it’s so easy to catch something if you’re not taking care of yourself properly.”
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 10, 2012 19:12:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2012 19:12:19 GMT -6

Iluak mentally slapped himself in the back of the head when he saw how he had inadvertently made Mei feel guilty by mentioning the food poisoning.
"Don't worry, the pharmacist next door has most of it covered. You know me...if it's not life threatening it's a pain in the ass for me."

The socially awkward bender felt even more self-conscious with his bottle on the table which to a lot of people was shorthand for "hardened alcoholic". He tried to think of a way to explain it that didn't involve the words "self" and "destruction".

"My friend...she used to dare me to take shots of these...now it's just a habit, I guess." It was mildly true and a great deal less pathetic than the full truth...that he was drinking to forget.
For a moment he panicked that he mentioned his friend was a woman. He tried his best to think of a subtle way to indicate that it was just a platonic friendship and that he was woefully and painfully single.
"She's not my girlfriend...just a friend."

At that moment Iluak wished that the snake in his bottle would come alive and give him a fatal dose of venom. At the very least he hoped for some sort of distraction.
"Ah! Sleep. Uh, no. I mean...yeah. I uh, intend to get some tonight. It's been a couple of nights. That's why I'm so frazzled. Thank you for asking."

The healer wondered why this young woman put him so on edge. He found it difficult to maintain his aura of spite and self-loathing with her around and reverted to a dizzy beast made of hormones crashing into everything around it.
ailin
May 10, 2012 21:07:35 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 10, 2012 21:07:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Mei chuckled. “True. If there’s anyone who can handle it, it’d be you. You’re the best healer I’ve seen.”

She leaned over and scrutinized the bottle of liquor. The rat viper on the label stared back, bearing its teeth in the most threatening way the artist could manage to depict. Shots were done one at a time and added up, an entire bottle added itself up beforehand. A couple of shots bought you a ticket to inebriation with stops at possible giddiness follow by depression and eventually stopping at passing out. A bottle on its own was an express ticket that probably skipped just to depression and immediately to passing out.

“Well…as long as it’s alcohol and not poison…” she looked up at the dancer and smiled. “Could we have some shot glasses?” Mei paused and looked back to Iluak. “If you don’t mind sharing? I can pay for it.”

Mei cleared her throat and stared back at the bottle again. Iluak seemed…nervous wasn’t the right word--he’d never appeared nervous for as long as she’d known him--uncomfortable? She thought that until he said it had been a few days since he slept. It was sleep deprivation! The doctor just helped everyone else to his own expense far too much. It was so easy to fall into those patterns, work and let everything fall away. When others needed so much more it felt natural to have the world stop as you made it right for them again. Why was it fair that you were healthy when others were not and you had it within you to help them?

On the stage the song wound down. The assorted dancers and lookers on applauded, its loudness only punctuated by some drunken shouts at one of the gaming tables. When the clapping subsided the band stomped their feet. One. Two. Three. Another song sprang to life, this one dominated by airy springy strings.

“A couple of nights?! You know what sleep deprivation does to a person after just one day. If you need a break, just let me know. I’ll make the time to fill in.”

It was the truth. The greater truth beneath that was that the clinic felt like home now. When it came down to it, Mei had never been happy as a waitress. Her waterbending skills had been suited to it, and easily adapted, but it had never been fulfilling. It had just been what was needed to make ends meet. Now when she was at the restaurant, her mind was at home or at the clinic. Mei sincerely hoped that what she and Ling were going to do would be enough. Not just to help others, but give her the chance to help Iluak more. It wouldn’t hurt to have the chance to see him more.

More of him. More of him. Not…Mei blinked quickly shifted her focus to a point one foot and seven inches to the right of Iluak, hoping she hadn’t just thought herself into embarrassment.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 10, 2012 22:16:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2012 22:16:28 GMT -6

Iluak genuinely smiled when Mei offered to pay for the drinks.
"No need. This is a business expense as far as I'm concerned and is going on the clinic owner's tab. There's a few places in town that have traded me free food and drinks for my healing. If people can offer me services I'll take those instead of money." He took a drink and paused for a moment, lost in thought.

"If someone can fix my satomobile or bake me a cake it gives them some of their power back. That's the worst thing about being sick, Mei...being powerless. Besides, I can heal but I damn sure don't know a thing about carpentry or satomobiles."

It cheered Iluak to discuss being inept in certain areas that didn't involve life and death. Mei tended to do that to him. Perhaps because they didn't have a past. As far as his assistant knew he was a good man.

The bartender who served him before brought a row of shot glasses to the table and gave a suspicious look to Iluak. The man bent over the table and whispered in Mei's ear.
"Sorry about Iluak. If he's bothering you blink twice and I'll throw him out."

The water bender with the dark circles beneath his eyes was too focused on pouring the shots and blocking out the music to even notice that a dust mote or one of the lights shining into Mei's eyes would have gotten him violently ejected.

Discreetly he ordered a bottle of water, as he no longer felt like drinking himself into an irreversible coma. Being in the presence of a pretty woman who thought well of his healing abilities was strangely enough of a high for him.

He looked intently into his drink and wondered if his judgement had been so impaired as to even consider speaking the following words.
"Would you like to work for me? For money?"
Even the part of him that urged him to talk to Mei and try to live his life thought this was a bad idea now urged him to shut up and pretend like he was joking.
But he didn't. Damn the voice and damn the consequences. He liked having her around.

"If you want, that is. You'll be around sick people a lot more and they're no fun." He gauged the looks from both Mei and Ling and found that he was terrible at reading people.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 11, 2012 16:21:10 GMT -6

Really now, Mei just had the most adorable face when she was flustered. Ling grinned as she watched her sister's cheeks flush despite her darker skin, chuckling as she attempted to get Iluak's attention, her arm waving just a little too enthusiastic. "Aiiya, Mei," the younger woman giggled. "You're going to poke someone's eye out like that."

Mei's gaze shifted, and Ling turned her attention toward — oh, Katsumi. She grinned, winking at her friend flirtatiously. "Hello, good-lookin'," Ling drawled, patting the seat beside her. She noticed Katsumi gesturing covertly to the rowdy table next to them and nodded. "You don't have to be so subtle, you know," she informed the dancer softly. "Mei's family." There was a hint of pride in her voice. "She won't tell a soul. But —" Ling added as an afterthought, "Keep her away from the card games." She dropped her voice even lower so Katsumi would have to lean in to hear. "She doesn't really get the finer points of the game, you know what I mean? She's an easy mark and way too nice."

In a much louder voice, she said, "Why don't you get us a pitcher of ale, Katsumi. And-—" she looked to the other table and caught someone's eye. "Another round for these gentlemen." Her words were met with a loud and rowdy cheer, with many tankards being raised in appreciation. She smiled coyly at one of the men, dropping her gaze and looking up at him from under her lashes. He blushed — aw, a bashful one, Ling thought to herself — and his friends nudged him in the ribs, making lewd jokes and pointing obviously. She gave one last winning smile to the table, flashing that "cute" gap between her teeth, before turning her attention back to her sister and Katsumi — and Iluak, who had apparently responded to Mei's airship landing signals and joined them.

"Pigs, the lot of them," she muttered in a soft undertone as the music started up again. It was a jaunty tune, one very suitable for such a boisterous night.

Ling watched Iluak attempt to start a conversation with Mei, his words vague as she studied him. They had met briefly before, when Ling visited the clinic, but she hadn't had the time to really look at the man. Of course, she would have to make sure he was suitable for Mei. If there was such a man. Critical grey eyes swept over his appearance, noting the ragged clothing, the disheveled hair, the sleep-deprived eyes. Iluak was clearly a man who put little thought to himself. Not out of laziness, though, remembering Mei's description of the small clinic.

Though his words were drowned out, her keen eyes noticed a shift in Mei's happy demeanor. That brought her back to reality, and she tried to focus in on what was being said. Mei was wringing her hands and apologising, talking about going into the clinic the next day. Ling stiffened. Was this guy trying to guilt trip her? She kept her tipped-back position as she assessed the situation. No, no he wasn't, he was falling over himself to try and take the words back. Ling rolled her eyes. This guy was just as awkward as Mei, though significantly less endearing. At least, to her.

He did have some amazingly brilliant eyes, though. If she did swing that way, she thought, it would be really hard to resist those eyes; troubled, sleep-deprived, and obviously fighting some sort of inner demon, his eyes were still strong and unclouded. An intriguing person, at the very least.

Watching the two of them for a bit longer, Ling stifled the urge to shout, "NOW KISS" because it was so, so, so blatantly obvious that they were each performing their own subtle and awkward courtship dance, and the other was oblivious to it. She smiled instead, biting her lip to avoid suggesting she draw them a picture.

When Iluak mentioned a "girl that was a friend but not his girlfriend", Ling had to laugh. It came out in a bit of a gasp as she quickly turned her head and covered her mouth with her hand. Could he be any more obvious? It's not like Ling was particularly experienced in that regard, and she did have the one up on Mei for being able to understand innuendo and read the finer points of body language, but Iluak was practically screaming, "I'M AVAILABLE". Not that Mei was being any more subtle, she thought, as her sister leaned in closer to the other healer, her eyes full of concern as she spoke. Then her sister looked slightly uncomfortable, re-focusing her gaze onto something else. Ling reached over and patted her on the arm soothingly, a grin playing around her lips. Mei probably thought something that embarrassed her. Oh, she was so cute.

Ah, yes. Ling turned back over to the rowdy table and threw them another lash flutter and smile. Always keep them looking, she thought, pretending to be embarrassed when one man made kissy faces at her. She covered her mouth with her hand, her eyes crinkling in what she knew looked like a smile. In reality, she was making a rude face. Pigs. Stupid, stupid pigs.

She turned her attention back to The Awkward Couple. The bartender had apparently left his post and was leaning to whisper in Mei's ear. Casually, Ling moved her hand to one of her knives. Just in case.

Iluak was just proposing that Mei work at the clinic, for money. And he looked at her, too. Ling arched an eyebrow, and drummed her fingers on the table.

"Weren't you just saying you don't always take monetary payments?" she said. It wasn't really a question. "Don't make promises you can't keep." Ling looked him directly, her pale grey-blue eyes meeting his. Some had said her direct gaze was a little unnerving. She wasn't even smiling to soften the look; her mouth was a tight line, her voice critical. She didn't dislike Iluak, but it was clear that he was in no proper position to be offering wages.

Ling shrugged, gesturing to her sister. "If Mei wants to work for you," (inwardly, she laughed. "IF"!) "that is her decision. We have some business plans of our own," —-her gaze flicked over to the other woman for a split second before coming back to Iluak-- "and I am more that capable of supporting my family on my ... wages." A slow smile spread across her face as another rowdy group entered the Saloon. "But keep the money for yourself, healer."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:15:43 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 11, 2012 17:29:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 11, 2012 17:29:49 GMT -6

Ling's laughter caused every muscle fiber in Iluak's body to contract. At thirty-three years of age the healer had yet to exit his socially awkward pre-teen phase. He wasn't sure how if he could deal with this woman until she poked holes in his suggestion regarding Mei working with him. The part of his brain less prone to idiotic flights of fancy concerning his assistant was grateful.
Ling, you beautiful, wonderful creature, thank you!
After all, caring for someone meant keeping them away from human satomobile crashes like himself.

When Ling made a comment about how little money he made with an accusing tone Iluak brightened significantly. Flirting was alien to him, but being a defensive jerk was different. Breathing only wished it could be that natural.
"That's a good point. I don't make much money. I take trades, accept installation payments...whatever. It's not a lucrative business enterprise," he said to Ling.

He took a drink returned Ling's stare. "I don't believe in making money off of people's suffering. If someone comes into my clinic riddled with arrows the last thing on my mind is his investment portfolio. Everybody pays but I'll not take a person's last yuan. As far as I'm concerned lust for money is this city's greatest evil."

It was almost funny. Ling had pressed one of the few buttons not wired to Iluak's sense of apathy and he was glad to feel something other than debilitating shyness.

There was a familiar pause in Ling's voice far too many of his clients used but tried his best not to say something to ruin the mood.
"Yes, I'm sure your means of monetary acquisition are utterly safe and surely legal," he said with a sarcasm that nearly dripped onto and disintegrated the table.
Last edit by Deleted: May 11, 2012 17:36:02 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 11, 2012 17:49:35 GMT -6

Oh, she hit a nerve. That comment about money really rankled him, Ling realised, as the shy, awkward healer suddenly became more assertive and in control. She approved silently. Good. At least he's not spineless. Ling cast a reassuring glance at Mei, just a little something to show her sister she bore no ill will. She was liking Iluak a bit better as the conversation progressed. She finally sat properly, her chair landing back on the sawdust covered ground with a dull thud, barely audible above the music.

"Put your righteous indignation away, healer," she said lazily, shrugging at his offense and meeting his eyes once more. "Money, whether you like it or not, is how this city operates. For instance —-" she leaned in and gestured covertly at the rowdy table. "Those men over there have been pissing their money away on drinks and poorly executed bets all day. Their money goes to finance this fine establishment we are currently in. Their lust for money, and their subsequent loss of it, finances not only the food and drink in which we partake, but the livelihoods of each dancer, bartender, and waitress here to serve and entertain."

She leaned back in her seat. "I admire your payment process. I wasn't criticising it. A little idealist, perhaps, but I have great respect for a someone who puts others' needs before their own. Even if it's to a fault." She inclined her head to gesture at her sister.

"While the decision is her's," here Ling spoke very deliberately, "All I am saying is you do not have to worry about --nor should you promise to give-- payment. If you can spare whatever little you receive that doesn't go to supplying the clinic and taking care of yourself and want to give it to Mei, then by all means. Your money, your choice." The freckled woman crossed her arms against her chest. "We may not be rich, but I can always, always turn a profit."

She leaned back in her chair, her arms draped across the back. She shrugged her shoulders and held her palms out to indicate the room. "There is always a way."

Ling laughed away his sarcasm and accusation. "Oh, my ways are definitely legal. No one can argue with the outcome of a fair wager. I have made mistakes in my past, yes." Her grey eyes were cold. Not in anger, but with the sting of old guilt. "Mei has been put in danger before. But I got out of that life. Everything I do now is legal and safe. There's nothing illegal about noticing how stupid people can be."

She smiled again. "My money is earned legitimately through odd jobs, and increased with certain investments. Nothing illegal about it."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:15:53 GMT -6
ailin
May 11, 2012 20:50:05 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 11, 2012 20:50:05 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Many people thought Mei was simple and thus oblivious. In many ways, she was. Where they were wrong was thinking any of that added up to stupid.

Innuendo was impossible with her, she saw the good in everyone before even grasping the bad, and her loyalty was as unbreakable as the hardest metal in a world without metalbenders. Mei was honest and compassionate in everything she did. In a faux glittering city like Republic City this would give her about five minutes off the incoming steamer before being crushed underneath the city’s cosmic analogue heavy soled leather boot. But Mei had two things going for her. One, her father’s instruction in waterbending had given her the means of self-defense, and two, her sister Ling who would go to any length to make sure their family was safe.

Ling, who had just done her best to pretend she wasn’t laughing. Mei glared at her, though unsure just what had hit her younger sister’s funny bone. Ling’s sense of humor was more diverse than Mei’s, but she was reasonably sure that Iluak hadn’t been joking about anything. Sarcasm he was pretty good at (and Mei could understand sarcasm if not speak it), but speaking about his friend…that had seemed nothing but nervous honesty.

The shot glasses arrived, and were placed on the table as the bartender whispered in Mei’s ear. Afterward, he retreated to behind the counter, wiping it down with a rag as if nothing had happened. Mei’s eyes narrowed. Wanting to look after customers from unwanted advances was one thing, but she had invited Iluak. He was a guest, and above that, a man who would never start trouble.

“We’re all fine here,” she called back to the bartender. “We’re all fine here, thank you!” She turned back to the table, her features terse for a brief moment before it melted away into a smile. “So! Cheers then,” Mei added quickly, holding up the shot glass to everyone at the table and then downing its contents all at once.

"Would you like to work for me? For money?" Iluak proposed and the world began spinning faster than she could keep up with.

Mei sputtered and coughed, feeling the burning liquid going down badly. The ensuing conversation was about the same. Both Iluak and Ling wielded words like a blade, and both knew how to sharpen them to a point. That and sarcasm, which they also seemed to be jabbing at each other like a fighter seeking an opening.

“Enough!” Mei slammed her shot glass down on the wooden table, but its impact was drowned by the music and the shouts. “This is the whole thing, isn’t it? One way or another it comes back to money…I hate that.” She sighed and sat back in her chair. She looked over to Iluak, “I appreciate--thank you for the offer, Iluak, but you’re already teaching me. That means--” the words the world, everything, and a parade of grandiose phrases marched across Mei’s mind “--a lot. I couldn’t ask to be paid for that. That would be like…being given money to learn and those yuans would be better spent elsewhere.”

Yes, a lot, she thought. If she had been as good at sarcasm as Ling this would have been the perfect place to think something spectacularly sarcastic at herself. Instead she just felt a twinge of disappointment in her understatement.

“Besides,” she added, trying to ignore the twinge, “Ling’s right. We’re planning on opening a business soon. If it goes well then I can just split my time between there and the clinic. And home, of course.”

Letting out a deep breath, Mei reached out and poured out another shot and downed it. Whenever Ling spoke of her previous work, and wagers with stupid people Mei felt like her skin was itching in an attempt to escape. Mei had never asked the right questions--or any really--wanting her little sister to find her own way. It hadn‘t worked out. She had failed her little sister. And noticing peoples’ flaws to your own advantage…it was legal but it felt wrong. It was still profiting from the failings of others. That was a difficult thing to square away.

“I can squeeze in a couple more hours a week, I’m sure.” She looked down at her empty shot glass. “If you want me--my help. Want my help.”

On stage the band began a low tune, a lurching and sashaying piece complete with matching lyrics and brassy accents. Mei was pretty sure she’d heard this one before; the Ba Sing Se Infirmary Blues. The world was a bit odd that way.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 11, 2012 21:49:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 11, 2012 21:49:41 GMT -6

Ling’s greeting was, as always, flirtatious. It was remarkable that the dancer, who was used to catcalls of a similar nature from all kinds of men, could still be made to blush by something so small. Maybe it was because the compliment, when delivered by Ling, sounded more sincere than the men’s pathetic attempts. That probably had to do with the fact that Ling was never as drunk as the rest, a fact for which Katsumi was grateful. In the country of the drunk, the sober woman was queen in her book. Less drinking meant less cleanup for her as well, which was always a good thing.

The woman nodded when Ling gave her permission to be less secretive. She wasn’t really the subtle type anyway. Her job was to flaunt her body; subtlety was not required or encouraged. She could manage to keep Mei away from the card games, though. That would be an easy task, since Mei didn’t seem like the gambling type. Besides, she seemed far more interested in the man who came and sat at the table with them. Katsumi gave the guy a once-over, but was far more interested in the bottle he brought with him, which she eyed warily. “Might want to steer clear of that,” she muttered to Ling. “I had a little of it once and…” she shook her head. “It’s nasty.”

Katsumi couldn’t help but grin when Ling asked her to get the men another round. So she was planning on making some money tonight after all. The dancer had been unsure if that was the case, considering that Ling had brought a family member with her. But maybe with the man sitting with them, she’d excuse herself to go play cards. Well, however she managed it, Katsumi was happy to assist. Ling always gave her a cut of her earnings in exchange for some “extra luck.”

“Ale and…whatever they’re drinking. Got it,” she said. Grinning slightly, the dancer made her way over to the bartender to relay the order, making sure that the ale was watered down, slightly, just enough to delay its effects. If Ling wanted to win, it would help if her opponents were more drunk than she was. Though, looking at the men, it didn’t seem like that would be an issue.

The drinks were quickly prepared, and Katsumi took her time delivering the men theirs before making her way back to Ling’s table with the ale. The drunkards would drink first, and quickly, and that would help Ling bleed them dry. She brought the ale to the table, along with three glasses. “Here you go,” she announced with a smile. As she set everything down, she muttered to Ling. “They’re ready for you. Some of them are so drunk they can hardly see straight. Should be easy marks.” Message delivered, she retreated to stand between the players’ table and the bar. There she would spend most of her time, under the guise of an attentive waitress, making sure that the men always had full glasses and something pretty to look at. She could be quite the distraction when necessary, and that skill had lost many men their money in the past. Tonight, it would do so again.
Anonymous
May 11, 2012 21:57:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 11, 2012 21:57:01 GMT -6

The lovestruck simpleton and the haunted healer sides of Iluak Chu ceased fighting once Mei declined his offer for full employment. After some considerations both considered only adding a few more hours to be the best solution.
"Your help would be greatly appreciated, Mei."

When the Ba Sing Se Infirmary Blues started playing Iluak felt a little flush as the opening bass line thumped just before the trumpet came in. While most jazz songs were like pulling barbed wire through his soul that particular tune by Blind Lemur Song actually made him smile.
"I had to have it explained to me that this wasn't actually the recorded noises of a blind lemur," Iluak said over the music while leaning in Mei's direction. "Apparently Song is his given name...and..." he sighed in disgust over his dry and uninteresting tone.
"Anyway...I got this record last month."

Iluak focused his attention on the man with the ornate pipe dangling from his lips playing the upright bass. Unintentionally, the healer's fingers plucked at the table to try to match the rhythm but he did so poorly. The same intense focus placed on the bassist's movements were the same he used as a student in the North Pole. Only jazz bass seemed much more difficult.
It was well into the song until Iluak noticed he had gotten lost in his own head.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 12, 2012 22:07:33 GMT -6

Mei's outburst made for an instantly contrite Ling. "I'm sorry, Mei," said the younger woman sincerely, leaning in closer to her sister and peering up at her with big eyes. "I didn't mean to upset you." Ling put her arms around the Most Important Thing in the room and squeezed. Then she stood, drumming her fingers on the table as Katsumi returned, murmuring about the marks at the next table. She nodded, barely, and turned to face Iluak and Mei, who were now discussing music.

"Take care of my sister, Iluak," she ordered him with a smile. "I'm sure she would love to work at the clinic, whether or not you paid her. It's all she talks about at home. Just don't let her near the card tables, okay? If there's a problem, just give a shout." With a wink at the healer and a silly face at her sister, she joined Katsumi at the other table.

"All right, boys!" she shouted to be heard above their cheers and thanks. She whipped out a deck of cards from her inner coat pocket and shuffled them quickly and expertly. The cards were unmarked, a regular deck she bought from one of the many nick-nack stalls around the city. "Today's game is relatively simple: get either the four same cards, the same suite, or a numerical succession of cards. They are numbered one through ten, with four "face" cards, which are princess, Earth King, Fire Lord, and Avatar. There are four suites, one for each nation. Fire Lord is high, Avatar is low, unless in pairs, then the Avatar trumps the Fire Lord." There was some laughter at the joke.

She spread the cards in a row, face up on the table, for the men to see and touch. "Feel free to examine the cards. If I catch any of you marking them-—" she flicked her wrists and two collapsible knives slid into the palm of her hands. Another flick, and their clearly sharp blades sprung out with the shiiinnng of metal on metal. "—- I will mark you as a cheat," she finished with a pleasant smile. One of the men around the table gulped and grinned sheepishly, putting away a small pin that had almost pierced the corner of one of the Fire Lord cards. Ling smiled and tilted her head. "Wise choice," she told him. The other men at the table laughed as she put her knives back in her sleeves.

Then she gestured to Katsumi — "Place your bets, friends!" she said loudly. "The beautiful Lady Katsumi here will take your bets and your drink orders!" She nodded to her companion to start moving around the table as she gathered up the cards, shuffled again, and began dealing. "Minimum wager is fifty yuans! Feel free to go higher, though — I'll be happy to take your money!" Her boast was met with jeers, some good natured and some not. The man directly across from her was leering, and she knew that look. It was the "I am a man so there is no way a woman can best me" look she knew oh-so-well. Katsumi picked this table well.

Ling dealt the cards with a practiced hand, the stiff papers flying out to their intended targets with precision. There were four other players beside herself, including the leering man. She nodded politely, fluttering her eyelashes. Once each player had five cards, Ling straightened the rest of the pile. "Last call for player bets!" she said, sitting down in her chair languidly, her attitude every bit as dismissive as it looked.

The key to her card playing was Katsumi. They'd let the other players win for a few hands, let them build their confidence up. Katsumi would keep the drinks flowing and Ling kept the cards coming. Once a hefty pot had built up, Ling would make better calls for her own plays, the other woman tipping her off subtly with small body cues —- leaning in to flirt with a man and putting a hand to her cheek, for instance, meant the man had (a) the best cards at the table, and (b) they were faces. Ling could then wager smartly — if she had better cards, she would make a fuss as if she had a poor hand, then bet everything. If she didn't, she would stoically bet a small amount with an expressionless face.

Even if the men caught on, or suspected, by this point they were so drunk they probably wouldn't even remember the next morning. The Golden Fan had one unspoken rule that all gamblers followed — if you're too drunk to see a scam, you deserved to lose every yuan you wagered.

She looked at her cards nonchalantly. Not bad, she thought to herself, noting three "five" cards and two "ten" cards. Not the greatest hand, but decent. Ling threw two fifty yuan bills down on the table, then settled back in her chair. "Let's go, boys!"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:15:23 GMT -6
ailin
May 12, 2012 23:39:02 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 12, 2012 23:39:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
When Ling squeezed Mei squeezed back, but then her sister was up on her feet. Her focus shifted, and her eyes took on that familiar glint. It was calculating, thinking several steps ahead, and already across the room with the table of drunken men.

As Ling spoke Mei felt her cheeks heat up. She stuck out her lower lip and glared at her little sister. The Rules of Sibling Relations stated that if you had an opportunity to embarrass them, whether they be younger or older, you had to take it. And it was painfully easy when it came to being around Iluak Chu. Like all good siblings, Ling knew this, and knew how to tease just enough.

Mei watched her glide to the other table and shouted, “I can take care of myself, Ling! And play cards if I want to!”

Not that she did, that was Ling’s game through and through. A game for those who didn’t mind using the failings of others to win. Her sister was in her element as she sat down with the players, shuffling her deck without a practiced hand. The movements, done with grace, and a smile, brilliant and engaging, it was no wonder that so many people wanted to play with her. But it was a game of two sets of rules, and life already was too much like that for Mei. Some people thought card games were fun, but she supposed for Ling it was work. A work she enjoyed, but work nonetheless.

Sometimes the healer wished she could understand it. And she hoped Ling didn’t take too much from the others.

She leaned back in her chair and poured herself another shot. The drink stared at Mei. She didn’t drink it. Instead she looked at Iluak, who had spoken of the Blind Lemur Song. He had actually smiled when it came to the Ba Sing Se Infirmary Blues, and that was a surprise. They’d never really talked about music, but he’d always seemed so serious and work driven that Mei hadn’t thought about more relaxing pursuits. It was a shame she had never asked.

Mei cleared her throat nervously. “It took me a while to understand band names, too.” The drink stared at Mei. She didn’t drink it. “You have the record? You like music?” Her face lit up and a grin blossomed. “We have a phonograph at home and every once in a while I buy a record. I bought one today actually a really slow piece but I--sorry, I’m probably talking too much.”

It was a nervous habit, one she only seemed to have when trying to have a conversation with Iluak. At the clinic it wasn’t a problem; he gave instruction and she listened and did her best to understand. Patients came in and sometimes only a few words were needed, single exchanges at they tried to fix in a person what was broken. It was as soon as they stopped, or she stopped, that she felt herself stumble over words like a drunk. She worried about sounding stupid, she worried about sounding inane, she worried that one day he would tell her she wasn’t cut out for healing and it would be best for her to leave. She worried about leaving. An awkward world where she childishly fumbled and rambled on with her words was preferable to the world without speaking to Iluak at all.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 13, 2012 1:01:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 13, 2012 1:01:59 GMT -6

OOC: Hope this is okay, Kami. I'm not too familiar with poker, but Wikipedia is helping me out.

Many an eye was fixed on her as she waited for Ling to join in the game. Katsumi was used to the attention, but that didn’t mean that she was entirely comfortable with it. That was one of the reasons she liked Ling so much: whenever the other woman was around, the men keep their eyes (and other body parts) mostly to themselves. Of course, she was always worried that one of these nights one of the less-drunk men would take issue with the idea of having lost all of his money to a woman and would try something, but Ling looked more than capable of defending herself. Still, Katsumi kept a close eye on all of her friend’s opponents, just in case.

It wasn’t a long wait. Even with her sister and friend here, cards were the first thing on Ling’s mind. That was good though; it meant that the woman would be in fine form, and that both of them would be leaving the saloon with some extra money in their pockets. They just had to hope that the men were drunk enough to make the wins easy, though from the number of empty glasses that had been carried away from the table, she didn’t think that would be a problem. Besides, she’d be on hand to get them whatever alcohol they wanted, so if they weren’t drunk enough yet they soon would be.

So the game was poker. Good. The dancer was used to helping her friend win at poker, and was ready to give whatever signals necessary to allow Ling to control the game. And, drunk men were awful at keeping up poker faces, which meant that Ling could read their expressions, taking some of the load off of her. Katsumi had never failed to spot signs of trouble in the cards, but there was always the chance that she would slip up. Having back-up would be appreciated.

At Ling’s gesture, Katsumi made her way around the table collecting bets and orders with much hand touching and lingering looks. As she did so, she reflected on how easy it was to confound and control inebriated men. It was sad, really. Outside of the saloon the men were probably perfectly capable of seeing through deceptions like the ones the two women created, but in here they were powerless, destined to lose. If rigging the card games hadn’t been so lucrative, Katsumi might have listened to the tiny whisper that was her conscience and left Ling on her own. But she had been thinking about buying a new kimono recently…

A couple of the men bet more than fifty yuans, no doubt confident in their ability to defeat the newcomer. One in particular, the one sitting directly across from Ling, bet one hundred fifty, making Katsumi grin slightly. She could smell the alcohol on him without even drawing close, and he wouldn’t stop leering at Ling. Obviously, then, he was going down. Once all players had given her their money, she headed back to the bar to get the men drinks. As she handed those out, she glanced at the various cards each player held. They were going to let their victims win the first few hands, but it never hurt to see how things started out. If one of the men started out playing smart, he might continue in that way, making trouble for Ling. Better to spot that as soon as possible.

It didn’t look like there was too much to worry about. The man across from Ling had an all right hand, but nothing fantastic, and the rest weren’t doing any better. Glancing at her friend, the dancer put her hands together for a second, as if in prayer. The gesture signaled to the other woman that she should be calm, not play aggressively just yet. At the same time, she glanced down at the man sitting across from Ling, marking him as the biggest threat. Figuring that that would be enough to go on for now, Katsumi resumed her circuit around the table, meeting every man’s gaze with a small smile or a slow wink, making sure that they were never completely focused on the cards. They would play their game and she would play hers. And in her game, she was always the winner.