The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Golden Fan Saloon

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 13, 2012 1:49:19 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
OOC @ Tenshio: Should be fine, I'm just a novice with five card myself, plus we can make it up as we go. Maybe Avatar poker is different from our poker. xD IDK. If you need, here is a list of hands in descending order (so top is high) if you need help.

Ling watched in appreciation as Katsumi worked the table effortlessly, her lovely figure and practiced flirtation drawing many admiring gazes — Ling's included. She and Katsumi were friends, of course, but that didn't mean she couldn't appreciate the other woman's... assets. As she waited on the final bets to be placed, she took a sip of her drink, holding the tankard to her lips longer than she consumed, letting the liquid slosh against a closed mouth as she feigned swallowing. Using the gesture to glance at her partner, who had signaled for her to remain calm, Ling noticed she had been right on the money about Leery-face across from her. With an extravagant "gulp" of her drink that doubled as a nod to Katsumi to show she understood, Ling hunkered down by the table top.

"Come on, boys, time's a-wastin'!" Ling grinned at them, tapping her fingers to the beat of the blaring notes. The man on her right glanced at her, then his cards, and sniggered. "Two pair!" he said, a note of triumph in his voice. The threw down his cards with a flourish — two nines, and two eights. Not bad, but not a threat. Not that it mattered, of course. Ling was throwing this hand away purposefully. She contorted her face into an expression of worry. "Oh dear," she murmured in a stage whisper, loud enough for those gathered around the table to hear. She peeked at her cards, which were still face-down on the table, taking care to hide their values. Her eyes flicked up, her eyebrows furrowed in (seeming) concern.

The man to her left laughed loudly. "Two pair?" he said mockingly. He laid his cards down, spreading them evenly — three fours, a two, and an Avatar card. A collective "ooh" went around the crowd. That left only Leery-face's hand, and Ling's. It was a tense moment as everyone waited for the next person to show their hand. Ling nibbled her lip, her face expression still mimicking that of worry. For added effect, she looked straight into her opponent's eyes and bit down on the inside of her lip —- HARD. Her eyes stung as they watered from the pain, and the Leery faced man fell for it: hook, line, and sinker. He flipped over his cards — a two, three, four, five, and six. A low-end succession.

Ling allowed herself to slump in her seat, gently thudding her forehead on the tabletop. "UGH," she exclaimed in mock distress. "That's what I get for bragging. I'm not even going to flip these stupid cards over, they're embarrassing. First hand goes to this fine gentleman across from me!" She straightened, gathering the cards up. The men laughed, chiding her good naturedly for losing the hand. The freckled woman smiled, joking with them, and tapped the deck on the table two times as if straightening the deck.

It was a natural, commonplace move; every card dealer did something similar. For Ling, however, it was a signal to Katsumi that she would throw two more hands — regardless of her actual cards — before playing hardball. "I think we should have another round of drinks!" she yelled, grabbing her tankard and raising it into the air enthusiastically. The men cheered again — after all, whoever called a round of drinks was the person who paid for them — not noticing that most of the liquid in Ling's tankard sloshed out and onto the floor. She slammed the metal cup down on the table, smiling as she shuffled again, slowly this time, giving Katsumi a chance to return with the drinks.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:14:25 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 13, 2012 1:55:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 13, 2012 1:55:57 GMT -6

Iluak chose to ignore the shouting of Mei. Being treated so delicately was deeply annoying though Mei's guardian spirit seemed much less irritating than his own. Bottle serpents when he was alone and one bothersome Equalist when he wasn't.

He was glad to hear the conversation shift to the subject of odd names. Iluak wondered if all siblings could annoy and then forget about one another.
"Warriors and musicians always choose the most odd and exuberent names for themselves. A man can't just be Tora, he has to call himself Tiger Lifts The Mountain," Iluak said with mock importance like the narrator of a pulp martial arts novel. "Or a singer might be..." he searched his brain for his minute knowledge of jazz and tried to think of a silly nom de jazz. "I don't know...Blindfold Red or something."
He laughed at his own pathetic attempt to pick a jazz name. "Now you know why I practice healing instead of writing for a jazz magazine." He caught a glimpse of Mei through his fog of shyness and saw that while she was very pretty under normal circumstances Mei was a luminous beauty when enthusiastic about something.

For once he realised how much he was speaking while avoiding questions.
"Not a jazz fan. I...just...wanted to learn to play that song for someone. It's the only record I have." He cleared his throat and took a purposely long drink of water. "Do you play an instrument, Mei? Playing water harp was common with the people around my old village."

He could see in his mind Mei dressed in traditional (if a bit more revealing) water tribe formal wear performing a song with water bending that mad the eyes and ears the envy of all the other senses. He shook himself from his daydream with a mental note that Mei liked jazz. Suddenly the genre didn't seem so dreadful. He'd have to berate his friend Tsubaki into tutoring him next time she came by the office to argue.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
May 13, 2012 16:49:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 13, 2012 16:49:01 GMT -6

Katsumi couldn’t be entirely sure—she was spending most of her time watching the men—but she didn’t think Ling had even looked at her cards yet. Well, it didn’t matter if she was throwing the hand, but she didn’t want to be too obvious. Even drunks could sense when something wasn’t right, especially when there was money on the line. Nothing brought a man back to his senses quicker than the threat of losing his hard-earned cash. But Ling knew what she was doing; she’d been running games for a while now, with all sorts of people. It would be fine. And if not, well, they could beat a hasty retreat.

It never failed to amuse her how excited people could get when they thought they’d beaten the competition, even in something as trivial as a game of cards based mostly on chance. The man on Ling’s right didn’t even have that great of a hand, but by the way he pronounced it you’d have thought he’d just won a million yuans. The dancer giggled, both to herself and at the man, at once both mocking him and making him think she was interested in him. She swore that he puffed his chest out as he smiled back at her. It would have been sweet if he didn’t also look like he was about to pass out from drinking too much. That was the problem with her job: compliments came in spades, but all of them were directed at her body, not at her. Just once, she wanted someone to like her for something other than the way she looked and moved. But if that’s what she was after, she’d chosen the wrong, and only had herself to blame for that.

She’d gotten distracted. Chastising herself with a shake of her head, the woman focused back on the game, just in time to watch as the man sitting across from Ling won the first hand with a decent hand. Okay, not too bad. At least he hadn’t completely crushed the competition. The tapping of the cards on the table earned a slight nod from her, acknowledging her friend’s plan. Three was a good number. It gave most of the men the chance to win, or, if that didn’t happen, was enough time to identify a clear front-runner and figure out how to pull ahead. Ling was, as always, playing smart.

The other woman called for more drinks, and Katsumi sighed, rolling her eyes as she walked back to the bar. She knew that keeping the other players drunk was a key part of their strategy, but sometimes she felt bad for the men. Yes, they wanted all of the alcohol, but she knew that they’d regret drinking so much the next morning, or perhaps even sooner than that. Had she not been benefitting from their weakened mental states, she might have watered down their drinks like she did Ling’s. But since some of their money was going to her, her conscience would remain ignored.

As she came back to the table and set the drinks down, an arm snaked its way around her waist. “C’mere darlin’,” the man to Ling’s right drawled, pulling her close to him with a hungry look in his eyes. Shooting her friend a look that was a mixture of exasperation and a plea for help, she put the drinks down and moved her hands to the man’s, trying her best to pry it from her body. “No thank you,” she said with a smile, her tone light but firm. Luckily, she was able to escape somewhat easily, and retreated to stand behind Ling’s chair, as far away from the drunks as she would allow herself to get. Sighing, she put the smile back on her face and attempted to sound cheery. “Second round of bets!” she called to the table, once again beginning her money collecting circuit. As long as she stayed focused on the goal, everything would be fine.
ailin
May 13, 2012 20:51:41 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 13, 2012 20:51:41 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It was unexpected, but Iluak didn’t only have a sense of humor outside of pointy sarcasm, he also could laugh. The kind that was self-deprecating but warm. The sharp edges around him softened, and now he was handsome in that quiet personable way and not just the brooding selfless dedicated way.

The drink stared at Mei. She drank it.

“Blindfold Red does sound like a name someone would use, though. They’re all very fond of plays on words. I would understand them better if they used more puns,” she replied. It struck her that there had to be some sort of similarity between warriors and musicians if they had such a preponderance for interesting titles. Her father used to tell her that dancing and bending were both the same, fluid movements that needed proper rhythm, but Mei had found dancing a tragic event full of unintentional pain. She supposed that warriors and musicians did both need proper timing and that could have shaped their shared interest in names.

Across the room the players cheered, and Ling was holding her tankard high. They were all rather jovial and Ling didn’t seem disappointed, not really…it was impossible to tell what the outcome of the game had been. Card games were known for vocal disappointment when someone lost, and someone always lost. Mei shifted her seat. It occurred to her that she rarely was present for her sister’s…whatever it was (she was stuck between work and game and neither felt fully appropriate). Was this one of those things that she needed to help her sister or was it the one where you left her alone to do what she was good at? Her mind had no definitive answer so she brushed the thought aside. For the moment.

“So, did you ever get to play the song for them?” Mei asked. She ran her fingers around the rim of her glass before smiling and shrugging at Iluak’s last question. “I’m just a fan of music. I’m not sure that I have any musical talent in me. What’s a water harp?”

Water harp sounded like something traditional, an instrument of a heritage that was similar but not shared. For all of his gentle instruction, Mei’s father had not spoken of the Southern Water Tribe. Her earliest memory was of this city, which then had been monolithic and magical, and soon replaced with the quiet serenity of the outskirts. Waterbending had made her feel as close to their Southern Tribe heritage as she had ever gotten.

There was another chorus of shouts. Another hand of cards was going to begin soon.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 13, 2012 22:53:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 13, 2012 22:53:50 GMT -6

Mei asking about the song he was trying to learn made him feel like an ass and hoped that it wouldn't provoke any other questions regarding it.
"It's...uh...going horribly. When it comes to playing the bass I'm a very good healer," he said with a smirk. "I'll play it for her when I get good...or at least when it doesn't sound the like the musical equivalent of a traffic accident."

Iluak's amusement turned from self-pity to genuine when Me asked about playing the water harp while running her finger around the rim of her glass.
"That's how they did it. Somehow they'd rub their finger around a glass and music would come out. I never understood it. I would just hear it and then go back to my studies. Medicine is really all that interested me. I suppose I was a weird kid. While others went penguin sledding I'd just watch the penguins." For a brief second the bitter and harsh Iluak Chu receded as he sighed and looked at the tattoo on the back of his left hand of the mark of the trusted which prompted him to think of fond childhood memories.
"I miss watching penguins. It's just not the same in a zoo."

With a slight blush Iluak reclaimed his normal demeanor. Part of him resented Mei-Zhen for putting him off of his guard with so little effort. The other part resented himself for having one to be put off of.

For a second Iluak felt a little woozy. He spent more than twenty-four hours aching for sleep and now that he felt it coming on he wished he could ingest every stimulant the pharmacy adjoined with his clinic had in stock. Instead he excused himself as politely as he could and wobbled to the bar for what he was certain was his strangest drink order yet.
When he returned he held two cups of heavily sugared coffee for himself.

"So...Why healing? Please tell me it's not that 'I was forced to because I was a girl' crap. That stuff bugged the hell out of me. Still does." He quickly downed his first cup and held onto the second as if it were his only pillar of consciousness.
ailin
May 13, 2012 23:56:51 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 13, 2012 23:56:51 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
”Well, in some circles that would be considered pretty good music. Musicians are always experimenting. I’m sure your friend will love it, though. How many people learn to play a song for them?”

And that was true. Friends provided a good word and a hug when you were down. They told you uncomfortable truths in the nicest way (occasionally in not the nicest way but it still needed to be done). They shared experiences, stories, and told jokes. There were friends that came around rarely, a bright spot of color in a sepia toned life, and others that were always there, who kept the world in brilliant saturation whenever they were seen. Mei’s friendship experiences had been with more of the bright spots of color kinds. Ling was an exception, but she was also family, which everyone would say was an out in that way. As far as Mei was concerned, the kind of person who would learn a single song for another was one of those special color-all-the-time friends.

“Huh,” Mei said, her finger coming to a rest on the rim of the empty glass. She eyed it as if it were ready to play a tune for her, “I wonder how that works.” She paused. “It doesn’t sound weird to me. I never saw penguins. My father mentioned sledding with them once as a child but…it must have been fascinating to watch them.”

Iluak excused himself, and when he stood he wavered back and forth before walking over to the bar. Mei felt a heaviness over her forehead and pinched the bridge of her nose. No more poison looking liquor, then. She pushed the bottle towards the middle of the table and spared a glance to Ling’s table. It was loud, with laughs and shouts, and the dancer was handing out another round of drinks.

When the doctor returned to the table he was holding two mugs of steaming coffee. Mei mentally smacked herself. He had said he hadn’t been sleeping and she was keeping him up with conversation. It was terrible to think he did this routinely, though she had long known that Iluak went for long stretches of time without sleep. When people needed him for their very lives that was one thing, it was easy to understand getting lost in work and others. Staying up for the sake of speaking with her? It was selfish.

Iluak asked her why she had wanted to heal, then gulped down his first mug. The way he gripped the second and wobbled a bit in his seat made her stomach twist. That was either guilt or the rat viper. “No, it wasn’t like that. My father had always wanted to learn healing but had never gotten the chance. He would say, ’Anyone can fight, but it takes strength to fix what’s broken.’ I…wanted to fix…I wanted to help. People need that--are you sure I shouldn’t walk you home? So you can get some sleep?” On instinct Mei reached out to his wrist, a move born of concern and comfort, but the self-conscious part of her brain pulled the abort lever and she stopped. Her hand awkwardly hovered in the air before she let it drop to the table.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 15, 2012 15:52:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 15, 2012 15:52:52 GMT -6

Iluak had to laugh derisively at Mei's comment about certain circles appreciating the meager musical talents of Republic City's most acerbic healer.
"I think any circle that appreciates my music would be a circular firing squad. The one note I can play would probably cause more suicides than that story where the woman throws herself into a volcano."

When Mei-Zhen reached to nearly Iluak's wrist and offered to walk him home he had to take a few seconds to blink.
She's drunk. Don't take advantage of this sweet girl.
"A walk sounds nice. I don't think I'm in the condition to drive."
As usual the voice in his head that gave advice was ignored.

Iluak made sure to drink his second cup of coffee slower than the first.
The words of Mei's father rolled around in his head as he drank.
"I think I would have gotten along with your father. I can't say that about many people. Head-splitters get all the glory and getting medical help is seen as unbecoming of a warrior. Still...I can't imagine doing anything else."

As he wobbled upon standing Iluak hoped it was in a tired, hard-working doctor kind of way and not that of a man crashing from alcohol and stimulants usually reserved for people with physical rather than emotional maladies. He stabled himself by placing his left hand on the table and heaved a heavy sigh. He felt more than a little pathetic that he had put on such a pathetic display.
ailin
May 15, 2012 18:19:14 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 15, 2012 18:19:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
He had agreed to a walk, which Mei noted possibly didn’t mean “a walk home.” A walk without a destination in Downtown at night ranged from head clearing to suicide, depending on where your feet decided to take you. Mei liked the city at night, though. It was quieter (if one didn’t count the occasional scream) and there was something very beautiful about the golden glow that came from the lights and buildings.

Mei smiled while Iluak finished his other mug. “Yes, he definitely would have liked you.”

Rising to his feet, Iluak swayed looking like an inverted pendulum before he stabled himself against the table with his hand. Without thinking, Mei reached out to help keep him upright. The slight fuzziness and heaviness in her head subsided, the professional healer part of her mind rushing forward bringing her equipment and a long list of possible ailments.

“Careful. Alright, can you stay here for a minute. I need to tell Ling that I’m taking you home,” she said, all traces of self-consciousness lost. She slowly pulled herself away to help Iluak maintain his balance, then strode away to Ling’s table.

The dancer who had served them was there, collecting bets for the next round. At Mei-zhen's approach several of the players cheered, and one whistled. These men were all on their way to sleeping face first into their cards if they kept drinking at the pace they were. For a game that was built on subterfuge and dual rule sets, Mei couldn’t grasp how anyone could do it while so inebriated. They were past the threshold of possible genius moments, stuck somewhere between talkative conviviality and bawdy songs. Some of them would veer off into crying despondency or angry yelling. How was it any fun to play cards with opponents like that?

“Hey, sweetheart!” one of the men shouted. “You want in? Our generous host would be more than happy to--!”

She didn‘t wait for him to finish, “No thank you.” Mei skirted around the table, stopping at Ling’s side. “Ling, I need to leave for a little while. Iluak’s sleep deprived and had some alcohol and it’s all catching up to him. I have to make sure he gets home and gets some sleep. I’ll be back before you’re done, I’m sure.”

The man who shouted frowned, his eyes glassy and unfocused. “Heeey, no peaking at the cards, lady! You’re either here to play or you aren’t!”

“Why would I look at your cards?” she asked, puzzled.

The man took a long swig out of his tankard, and when he slammed it back down on the table it sloshed up and almost out onto the table. “Are you serious?” Now he looked both confused and unfocused.

Mei returned the confusion and countered with her own brand of earnest. “Yes. I’m not playing. I don’t care about your cards.”
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 16, 2012 14:15:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 16, 2012 14:15:22 GMT -6

Every man at one time or another entertained the fantasy of defending a beautiful woman from a drunken lout in a bar and Iluak was no exception. What the healer didn't entertain was the ridiculous notion that he could hold his own against a common barfly.
He assumed the only hits would be involving his face and the floor.
This did not mean that he had the presence of mind not to answer obnoxious behavoir with more of the same.

"Are you concerned about your standing as a man, seriously?" He smirked at the drunk gambler's drink. "Cute. Did the bottle have a poodle monkey on it?" He then presented his own bottle of liquid self-destruction containing a dead rat viper and less savory things swimming inside. "This on the other hand might cause a sudden surge of testosterone."
Iluak almost laughed at himself for picking a fight. He had his own sudden surge of testosterone.

The plan was simple. Humiliate the man by drinking him under the table. Iluak Chu considered himself the best there was at what he did and that was drink.
Instead there were two hits. His face. The floor.

The only victory was that he was gently escorted while the man who punched him had a much less pleasant ejection from The Golden Fan Saloon. Also, he would be able to gain entry later while the other man would be bounced.
"Sooner or later...everyone punches me in the face."
It was an act of chivalry only a drunk jerk could imagine and Iluak liked to think he was the jerkiest.

"Sorry, miss Yao...but that man gives drunken reprobates a bad name. I had to say something." Without an ounce of self-consciousness the drunk put his arm around Mei, but more for balance than affection.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 16, 2012 16:31:54 GMT -6

Things were going according to the (silent) plan. Katsumi was doing a bang-up job of keeping the drunkards occupied. One man decided to push his luck with the other woman, but Katsumi expertly and politely extracted herself from the man's grip, stepping behind Ling with an expression of annoyance mixed with 'help me!'. Ling smiled pleasantly at the man and flicked out her wrist in his direction twice. She leaned in a bit closer, waggling the tip of one of her knives near his face. "Excuse me, sir," she said lightly, "I am going to have to ask you not to do that."

He eyed the blade, sharpened to perfection, with just the subtlest hints of wear. Truthfully, Ling had only used her knives in "real" fights a handful of times — but he didn't need to know that. A bluff was a bluff was a bluff, and Ling knew how to do it convincingly. She tilted her head to the side, flashing him a grin. "Let's keep our hands to our cards, shall we?"

It wasn't a question.

As Katsumi called for the next round of bets, the grey-eyed woman kept up a light banter with the surrounding spectators as she dealt the cards once more, watching her opponents from the corner of her eye. The one across from her was downing more ale. Inwardly, she felt a little sorry for him. That was going to be one hell of a headache the next morning, provided he didn't black out at the table.

A little warning flag went off in her mind as she dealt the last of her cards. The man directly across from her was becoming surly. Instantly, the entire situation got riskier. While most people at the Fan were generally jovial drunk and took their losses either amicably and/or with a resigned air, this man appeared to be getting angry. When she moved her hand to place the deck on the table, she accidentally-on-purpose knocked over her tankard. "OOPS!" she said, loudly. "Looks like I need another drink." She grabbed the tankard, stood, and turned to Katsumi, giving her a hug. "Won't you be a doll and get me another?" she said, just as loudly.

As she pulled away, the Ling whispered in Katsumi's ear: "Big guy, angry drunk. Careful."

She turned to the men, giving a big lascivious wink for show, hoping her friend would forgive her. They hooted and whistled — something always went over well with them when she flirted with Katsumi. As she took her seat again, she looked at the man across from her from under lowered lashes. He was looking at his cards now, and Ling saw he was chewing his lip.

Suddenly, the men began to cheer again, whistling in appreciation. Ling looked up just in time to see Mei-zhen approaching her table. Her stomach clenched as one of the players called out to her older sister, but she kept a bland expression on her face as she looked at him. Mei shut the other man down pretty quickly --good for her!— before letting her know she was going to walk Iluak home.

Ling looked at her sister, concern in her eyes. "Are you sure?" she asked quietly. "The streets aren't safe at night. How are you getting ba-—?"

The man who shouted interrupted her, leaning forward and drunkenly accused Mei of looking at his cards. The younger sister choked back a laugh as Mei replied in confusion, cheating entirely incomprehensible. Oh Mei, she thought bemusedly. These men have never met a woman the likes of you.

Iluak suddenly materialised, his drunken barbs earning a hefty punch from the heckling player. Ling winced when fist made impact with face, and again when face made impact with the sawdust-covered floor. Both men were physically removed from the Saloon, the heckler with considerably less tact than the healer.

With a look at Mei that said 'follow him,' Ling returned to her game and shrugged the incident off nonchalantly to the specators. As concerned as she was for Mei's well-being, Iluak had earned her respect even more by: one, defending Mei when he deemed necessary, and two, by being able to take a punch like that without passing out. Not that her concerns were completely alleviated, but she could at the very least trust them to make it to the Clinic.

Hopefully.

Turning on a grin, she gestured to the now-empty seat. "Looks like we have a sudden entry, folks! Who'd like to take over for that unfortunate gentleman?" She tapped her nose and winked. "I'll even waive the entry bet," she said generously. A few men scrambled to sit, pushing and grunting until one of them was victorious. Quickly, Ling assessed him. He was drunk, enough so that he would have trouble staying awake for much longer. Not as drunk as the man across from her --who was apparently in the process of downing the contents of his tankard without coming up for air-- but he was slowly getting there.

Lady Luck is being kind tonight, Ling thought. The new player was drunker than his predecessor. How fortunate.

It was starting to get late, and most of the "dinner special" diners had already gone home. The Saloon was getting more boisterous as the minutes ticked by, the entertainment changing from something 'family friendly' to a little more risqué. One of the dancers got up on the 'stage' and began crooning a sultry tune into the microphone, accompanied by a lone trumpet. The men at the table were too focused on the game, though, and bets were flying.

Ling watched silently, her face blank, as the new comer smirked at the other two players, upping the ante in hundred yuan increments, much to the other's annoyance. The man across from her seemed to be getting especially irritated at the new comer, glaring at him in what he must have thought was a subtle way every few seconds.

Finally, the newcomer grinned and dumped his whole wallet onto the table, which clearly contained his entire week's worth of work. "All in," he declared, leaning back in his seat in challenge, daring someone to call his bluff — if it was one.

The tone at the table was instantly somber, a hush falling over the crowd as they tried to crane their necks to see what was happening. She realised with a start the other man hadn't look at his cards. It was a brash move, and Ling glanced up to see if there were any takers.

The man on her left scowled and threw his cards down. "I fold," he said in mild disgust, lurching with a drunken wooziness as he vacated his seat. He left his already wagered yuans on the table; once you put money down, you couldn't take it back. The man across from her peeked at his cards again, chewing his lip absently. Perhaps his inebriation was getting to him, but that was a 'tell' if Ling ever saw one. She had to surmise the other player notice it too.

With a belch, the man across from her threw down a grubby wallet onto the table. "All in, too," he said loudly and boldly. Even some of the spectators were shaking their heads, realising the man's bluff.

So really, the game was down to Ling and the newcomer, a rather abrupt change in her three-round plan. She hoped Katsumi was paying attention.

The freckled woman smiled, flashing her teeth. "All in," she said cheerfully, placing her money on the table. Her heart was pounding; she could lose it all.

Now that the bets had been placed, someone in the crowd shouted "Ready!" The players poised their fingers over their cards. People began murmuring as they realised two of the three players hadn't even so much glanced at their hands, and Ling heard people exchanging their own friendly wagers as to the outcome of the flip.

"On three!" the same voice yelled. "One... two... THREE!"

They all revealed their hands, and the crowd grew deadly silent. No one paid any attention to the man across from her, but all eyes stared at her hand, and the newcomer's hand.

She had three of the 'Avatar' cards, smiling prettily up at her, and two 'Fire Lord' cards. To her right, the new comer had two of the 'Avatar' cards — an impossibility.

A hiss ran through the spectators. Someone was cheating! Eyes turned to her, and she held up her hands in the universal "NOT ME" gesture. Ling had a strict "no card swapping" rule for herself, and she knew, by virtue of tipping the scales in her favour, that the other man was cheating. She couldn't very well say that, though, without exposing not only her but Katsumi, and Ling just wasn't willing to risk it.

This was a unique situation. If she didn't do something quickly, the whole scheme would be ruined. Quickly, the woman pulled off her jacket, emptied her pants pockets —- a few bits of lint, a few bites of Air Nomad candies, —- rolled up her sleeves to show nothing was stuffed up there. She turned her jacket inside out, exposing the rigged pockets where her knives were housed (at least, the knives the others knew about). She leaned on the table and looked at the man with cold, harsh grey eyes.

"Your turn," she said quietly.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:14:35 GMT -6
ailin
May 16, 2012 18:43:04 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 16, 2012 18:43:04 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Events had a way of spinning out of control, and with drunks it always spun faster and faster, until it wobbled over and took out several other events along with it. If they weren’t outside, in the night air that reeked of smog, Mei would have had a little trouble believing that had all happened.

Iluak, who was now leaning against her for support, had shown up, insulted the impolite player, challenged him to a drinking contest, and gotten laid out for it. That had earned both of them an unceremonious exit from the Saloon. The doctor would probably have a black eye…or a swollen nose, depending on where the punch landed. That would be something else that needed looking after; were you not supposed to let someone sleep after a punch? Or was that just getting knocked on the head?

“Sooner or later…everyone punches me in the face,” the healer said.

“Iluak, that’s a statistical impossibility,” she replied, “and I would never do that.” Her tone was serious and matter-of-fact.

Wrapping her arm around his back for better support, Mei sighed and decided the only path now was forward. Ling wouldn’t be happy--all of this had cost her a player and she would be concerned about the return trip--but leaving Iluak to his own devices was an unthinkable proposition.

The whole thing still seemed…slightly unbelievable. She had told him to wait, hadn’t she? Yes, she definitely had done that. And she’d been nothing but honest with the player. In another minute she would have returned to their table and they would have left from there. As Iluak apologized, Mei pursed her lips into a thin line. It had all been so unnecessary.

“If he had accepted your challenge then you would have been stuck in a drinking contest,” Mei said, doing her best to guide the wobbly healer off the sidewalk and across the street with the least amount of unbalancing. “Getting you home would be a lot more difficult with you unconscious. Why did you do it?”

At the corner of the next street one of the lights flickered, the light going from golden to a brown tinged black. Further down the street the buildings melted away, swallowed by a thick yellow light that was the result of Republic City’s lovely smog. The clinic was only several blocks away, but that was still several blocks Mei had to make sure that no one popped out of the alleyways. Alleys were the go-to hiding spot of the impolite. They were the types that had the coarse nicknames--not the fun jazz player kind--hid their eyes in the shadow of their hat brims and didn’t pull punches. Probably because they were using knifes or the elements instead.

Incidents weren’t common around the Saloon, though, and that was reassuring. Passing out in the gutters outside was, but most unsavory types tended to wait around for prey several blocks further away.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 16, 2012 18:45:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 16, 2012 18:45:18 GMT -6

As requested, Ling quickly came to her rescue, pulling a knife on the inebriated offender. Katsumi gazed at the blade with admiration. Maybe she should get herself one of those. Her Waterbending worked for defensive purposes, sure, but nothing beat sharp pointy things at intimidating potential threats. And she was sure she could find a way to hide a knife under work clothes, revealing as they might be. But that could wait ‘til later. Right now, there was another kind of bleeding to be done.

When Ling knocked over her tankard, Katsumi shot her friend a look. No way that was on purpose. She was going to ask what the point of that little act was, but the next thing out of her mouth was a small “Oh!” of surprise when the other woman hugged her. “What’re you…” she began to mutter, until Ling’s whisper reached her ear. “Oh,” she said again, glancing at the guy across from Ling, who’d she’d been avoiding for a while now. He looked just as angry as her conspirator described. She might have to go calm him down, though she really didn’t want to.

The dancer did her best to ignore the whistling as Ling winked at the men. She did this kind of thing every once in a while, and it always got the guys excited. That was fine; she just wished it wasn’t at her expense. Scowling slightly, she nodded and went to go get her friend another drink.

The second round of cheering confused her, until she saw that Ling’s sister had wondered over. That had the potential to be problematic. Katsumi wondered if she should find some way to draw the woman away from the table, especially when she revealed how innocent she was when it came to cheating. But it looked like things would be fine.

That was, until her drunk friend came over and decided to argue with the guy who’d accused her of looking at his cards. Fantastic. Arguments between two inebriated men always went poorly. And indeed, Mei’s friend ended up getting punched and both were ejected from the bar. Katsumi moved toward the end of the table closest to the door, but stopped when she saw that Ling clearly wasn’t planning to take action. It was probably better not to, really. Both guys would be fine, and they had a game to win. So, casting one last glance at the door of the saloon, she returned her focus to the game, which was getting back under way.

It was good that she’d returned to her duties, because the men were betting furiously, especially the newcomer. Whoever the guy was, he was confident in his hand’s ability to beat all challengers. That, or he thought himself a fantastic liar. The dancer didn’t care which one it was, so long as he didn’t goad Ling into doing anything stupid. The woman was usually calm and level-headed, but Katsumi didn’t know what got to her and what didn’t. She hoped her friend would be careful.

Hoping to assist Ling, the dancer circled the table, trying to get behind the new guy and take a look at his cards. But she was disappointed, as the guy didn’t even look interested in his hand, and was keeping up a rather impressive smug expression. It was looking like Ling would be on her own with this one.

A crowd had gathered to watch the game, and one of the spectators decided to take things into his own hands and called for the two players left to show their hands. Ling flipped her cards, and Katsumi was relieved to see that her friend had a good hand. There were better ones, but the likelihood of the newcomer having one of those was not very high. They’d be making quite a bit of money off of this round.

Then things got complicated. There was a cheat at the table. The dancer gave her conspirator a look. They’d been fixing games for a while now, but they’d never resorted to outright cheating! If Ling was changing the arrangement, they were going to have a serious discussion about her participation in things.

But the other woman was quick to prove her innocence, showing the crowd and the other players that there was nowhere for her to stash cards. All eyes turned to the newcomer, waiting for him to do the same.

Unfortunately, not all were willing to be patient. “You’re cheatin’!” yelled out the man sitting across from Ling. Before the newcomer could respond to the allegation, he was smashed in the face by his accuser’s fist. As the cheat fell to the floor, his attacked jumped on him, and before anyone could do anything, the two were rolling around on the ground, engaged in a fist fight. The crowd shuffled back to give the combatants room, cheering whenever a hit was landed.

Katsumi glanced at the fighting men, then edged over to Ling, leaning down to whisper in her friend’s ear. “So, can we say you won that hand?”

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 16, 2012 20:19:40 GMT -6

Her eyes widened when Leery-face punched the new guy square in the jaw. The two tumbled out of their seats and onto the floor, a crowd of drunken men cheering with each successful blow. Katsumi leaned in to whisper to her, and Ling smiled. "I guess so," she whispered back.

She reached over to grab the pot — everyone had gone all in, so it pretty much signaled 'game over'. With a fight breaking out next to her, it was pretty much guaranteed they'd all get booted from the establishment. Securing the winnings into her coinpurse, she tossed the (now empty) wallets back onto the table with a thud. It was a good thing that Mei left when she did — fights like this always got out of hand really quickly.

No sooner had she thought that, someone from the circled crowed bumped heavily into her. "Ow!" She stumbled, quickly recovering her footing, just narrowly avoiding colliding with Katsumi. She glanced toward the fighting, and realised that it had escalated. Probably due to some misdirected hit landing on an innocent bystander, people were getting dragged into the fight left and right.

Shooing Katsumi on, Ling was just about out of range when she realised she had left her coat and her candy at the table. Doubling back, she grabbed her coat and sweets and turned on her heel to leave-—

—- but not before a fist made contact with her face. With a grunt and her vision swimming, Ling crashed into the table where not a few moments before her sister had been sitting. She cursed, loudly, shaking her head to clear it and looking around for the drunk that had worse aim than a blind marksman. Instead, her she came face to face with the leering card player, who had somehow managed to extract himself from the centre of the fighting without anyone noticing.

Her grey eyes narrowed, her gaze and tone haughty. "What?" she demanded, straightening her posture and her feet moving surreptitiously into a fighting stance.

"Gimme my money back," he slurred. Ling couldn't help but notice he was drooling. Ew.

"Why should I?" the freckled woman challenged, looking at him straight on. "I won it, fair and square. Doesn't matter if that guy," (she gestured) "was a cheater."

Instead of responding, the drunk swung clumsily at her and missed. Ling sprung back. "You better watch yourself, bub," she warned.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:14:47 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 16, 2012 21:43:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 16, 2012 21:43:56 GMT -6

“Good, then let’s get you out of here.” Backing up from the table, Katsumi watched her friend’s back as Ling scooped up all the money and left her seat. Then that back got a lot closer when someone bumped into the other woman. The dancer quickly sidestepped to avoid a collision. Great, now everyone was fighting. She’d just have to hope that the bouncers were quick to put a stop to this mess, and that they weren’t in the mood to entertain accusations of theft, which she was sure Ling was likely to face once the fighters realized that their money was gone.

It was definitely time to get clear of the crowd. She’d be fine, since she worked in the saloon, but Ling, who could at best be described as a frequent visitor, might be in more trouble. Regardless, neither of them would do well if they got caught up in the brawl that was steadily occupying more and more of the saloon. So she was quite happy to comply with Ling’s insistent prodding.

The dancer was quickly escaping the danger zone, and Ling was right behind there. And then she wasn’t. “What are you doing?!” she cried as her friend turned back. “Your coat? Oh, by the Spirits…” Katsumi would have liked to express her exasperation in a more detailed way, but then Ling managed to get herself punched in the face. With a sigh, the dancer went off on a daring rescue mission.

Now that she thought about it, she didn’t have any experience rescuing anyone, unless saving herself from many a wayward hand counted. But really, how hard could subduing one angry drunk guy be? Famous last words, her mind whispered. To shut her brain up, the woman waved her hands, causing water from the bar to fly toward her. Once she’d reached the brute bearing down on her friend, she moved her hands forward, forming the water into a whip that lashed the man on the back of the head just as he was going in for another punch. That got his attention, and he swung around to look at her.

“Hey!” Katsumi called from the far-too-short distance of just a few feet away. “Pick on someone who isn’t my friend! And…isn’t me either,” she finished meekly as the man advanced toward her, fists in the air. She glanced over at Ling. “Uh…hit him while he’s distracted?” she pleaded.
Anonymous
May 17, 2012 4:45:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 17, 2012 4:45:04 GMT -6

For Iluak the most horrible thing about being so out of it that he had to be supported by a pretty woman was that he wouldn't remember it in the morning.
Not only was he a drunk and she a pretty woman but they were filling their respective roles in a bad part of town. For the first time in a while Iluak was afraid. He didn't drink as excessively as he did because of the value he had on his own life. Not that it belonged to him. Mei, though...Mei provoked great tsunamis of fear in the man.

Sooner or later…everyone punches me in the face,” the healer said.
“Iluak, that’s a statistical impossibility,” she replied, “and I would never do that.”
He desperately wanted to believe that, but knew that once certain parts of his past less prone to penguins and whimsy were revealed Mei would probably strike him.

Mei's question finally reached Iluak's addled brain. What was he thinking picking a fight? The question should have been what was he thinking with. His brain had been ruled out first."I think that might have been me trying to be gentlemanly. What kind of man harasses innocent women like that? You looked uncomfortable...so I thought I'd comfort you."
He paused. "I mean get rid of the source of your discomfort."

"Are we in the southeast yet? Tell me we're in the southeast."
In the deadly game of gangster tag the southeast was home base. Gangs avoided it like slugs avoided salt. Iluak didn't know why his clinic had never had any trouble from gangs but he had his theories. Just thinking of that man made the tattoo on his right wrist itch. It always itched when he thought of him.
He scratched at the symbol for Yuan inked into his wrist in what he hoped was a subtle manner.

When a silhouette emerged from the smoke and fog Iluak's stomach threatened to expel two days worth of alcohol and stimulants.

((Do you want to continue in Through Downtown Republic City or stay here, Ai Lin?))
Anonymous
May 17, 2012 15:45:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 17, 2012 15:45:45 GMT -6

[OOC--I'm kind of just jumping in. if I need to change something, I can.]

A 'productive' day on the streets warranted a worthy evening in a tavern. This one was as good as any other... or perhaps it was better, maybe worse. It wasn't something to think too hard about, as Raeya wasn't exactly known for being a picky woman in the things and people she did and met.

Most bars and saloons were vaguely familiar with the swarthy, high-spirited waterbender from the docks. She'd come in, get a few drinks, chat with a couple of patrons who were less interested in trying to woo her and instead wanted to know a bit about her rather than was was under her clothes. Then again, a few of said wooers weren't actually too hard on the eyes, and it wasn't too uncommon for her to get a room.

whatever the case, general trends did not dictate how things always went. Raeya wasn't sure if this time would be any different, but she would find out. She didn't expect much in the way of surprises, but found the tavern to be quite mirthful, which kept her smiling.

"Thankfully I don't have another band of thugs on my case again," she mused, slamming some coins on the table, only to have them replaced with a drink, "that was a hell of a scene that rose up from the mess I made last time."
she laughed, taking a hearty swig of the mug's contents, only putting it down when it was drained. a few more coins and another frothy mug switched hands, and Raeya relaxed, glancing around the tavern to see its colorful array of patrons for the evening.
it was going to be a good night.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 18, 2012 17:32:33 GMT -6

OOC @ Tenoko: Welp, feel free to jump in the actual goings-on, haha. :3 Might need to read a bit to catch up, maybe saunter your way over to where Ling is by the end of this post.

Ling groaned audibly as her friend smacked her attacker with something that could only be described as a water whip. Making a mental note to figure out if that could be used otherwise elsewhere, the freckled woman sprung into action at Katsumi's request for help. As the other woman backed away from the advancing man, Ling tapped him on the shoulder. When he turned around, she slugged him with her right fist across the face. The impact sent vibrations down her arm, and she pulled away quickly, shaking her hand in an attempt to dispel the twinge of pain. He wouldn't be taken down that easily though —- not when money was on the line, and not as drunk as he was. The man reeled from the blow, stumbling into a (thankfully unoccupied) table.

Taking advantage of his disorientation, Ling sprung forward, pulling yet another hidden blade from down by her ankles. With a flick of her wrist, she deftly sliced the leather belt holding the man's pants up. Whirling away, she watched in bemusement as he stared at her in confusion, then watched as he attempted to pull his pants up, with ruddy-faced embarrassment, while still trying to amble toward her. She laughed in genuine amusement, peals of laughter only barely drowned out by the din of other fights and the music.

Her laughter only increased as the bouncers finally started doing their jobs — what took them so long, anyway? — and strong-arming the fighters out of the Saloon. With a nod toward Katsumi, Ling slipped into one of the corner booths, trying her best to meld with the shadows. Sitting along the wall as flat as possible, she watched with a smile as her opponent looked around in confusion, searching for her, having looked away for the briefest of moments as the bouncers grabbed ahold of an arm each. It was all Ling could do not to laugh and call attention to herself as he was marched away, awkwardly holding the top of his trousers in a bunch.

Once the was gone and the fights (mostly) settled, save for a few people resisting being kicked out, Ling thumped the money purse down on the table. It was perfectly safe now to split the winnings with her partner, seeing as anyone who participated or witnessed the card game had... "left", or was in the process of "leaving".

She started separating the yuans into piles of 'fifty' and 'hundred'. As the piles increased, Ling couldn't help the feeling of accomplishment that washed over her. Sure, the money wasn't exactly 'honest', but at the very least she now had enough money --even with Katsumi's cut factored in-- for her and Mei to not only file for their business permit at City Hall, but also to pay the rental fees on their new office building.

An idea struck her. "Katsumi?" she queried, not looking up from her counting.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:14:59 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 18:08:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 18, 2012 18:08:11 GMT -6

OOC: This post si shorter than I'd like. I apologize.

Drunk men had always unnerved her a little, but she’d never been truly afraid of any…until now. This guy was coming for her, and she wasn’t exactly fantastic at defending herself. She knew some Waterbending moves that might help, but the only ones that came to mind were a little more lethal than she wanted. The idiot might be trying to attack her, but she didn’t want to accidentally kill him. Hopefully Ling would take advantage of the opportunity she’d provided.

And just like that, she did. Katsumi felt like cheering when her friend’s fist crashed into her assailant’s face, but held it in. He wasn’t down yet. Then the woman pulled out yet another knife—where was she keeping those?—and cut his belt. The dancer sighed. That was unnecessary, and was probably just going to make the guy even angrier. That was not what they needed—even if it was funny.

A little tardy, but better late than never, the bouncers got their act together and started breaking up fights and escorting the combatants out of the saloon. Ling, always the opportunist, made her way back to the table where she’d been playing, and Katsumi followed her, a small smile on her face. She sat next to her friend—taking a much-deserved break from work—and watched as the money began to pile up. “Okay, I know this was technically a success, but next time let’s try to avoid big fights,” she counseled. True, Ling hadn’t started the fight, but she hadn’t exactly done a lot to stop it either. Katsumi’s job was exciting enough as it was.

The tone of Ling’s voice as she said her name worried the dancer. “What is it?” she responded. “Is something wrong?” She couldn’t think of what the problem might be, but she never knew with drunks. She just hoped that, after all the “fun” of the brawl, nothing else was going to mess with what should have been a routine night.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 22, 2012 17:05:57 GMT -6

OOC: Sorry for the delay.

"Hey, it's not my problem," Ling shrugged, continuing to count the winnings. "I don't throw down unless they hit first, you know that." She finished sorting the yuans into little piles, and split it evenly between herself and the other woman. "A thousand and a half yuans a piece," she said happily. "Thanks to that little snot that joined late." She leaned back in the booth, eyeing her friend.

"Relax." She waved her hands and Katsumi's worry away. "It's nothing bad." She tapped the table with her fingers. "So, okay, look. Mei and I have been doing a bit of thinking. Our Ma-ma isn't doing so well, y'know? I don't think she's sick, or anything, just old. Mei's volunteer job at that Healer's clinic doesn't get money, and her waitressing job is the pits." Ling inclined her head in Katsumi's direction. "As I'm sure you understand," she added.

The freckled woman continued, running her thumb over the edges of the paper bills. "I work lousy odd gigs and then gamble to make ends meet. Not that it isn't fun," --she grinned-- "but I can't do it ALL the time anymore. If Mei had been here tonight and got caught up in that fight..." Ling shook her head, her cowlicks flapping comically with the gesture. "Anyway, so Mei and I were thinking of going legit, starting our own business — a detective agency."

She leaned in conspiratorially and dropped her voice to a whisper. "There's a lot that goes on in this City; I know first hand. As tough as Chief Bei Fong and her officers are, they don't even know half of the corruption goin' on here. Not to mention there's just stuff people won't go to the coppers for. That's where we'd come in. People hire us, look for stuff or find some people or get stuff back. It's a dangerous job, but once we get all the proper city permits and forms it's legal and non-affiliated with the police. We'd be contracted."

Ling leaned back, resuming a regular voice. "I'll still be by here, of course, but if you ever get tired of this place I'm sure we could use another. Or maybe you can just help out from time to time, if you're interested." She smiled at her friend, then stood. "I'll be right back, I need some air. This place is stuffy. Think about it while I'm out, yeah?"

With a wink and a nod, Ling stepped out of the Saloon and into the crisp night. She took a deep breath, enjoying the feel of the cool air on her skin. She leaned up against the building nonchalantly, scanning the roads for Mei's return.

"OI!"

A harsh voice interrupted the quiet night. Ling turned — and groaned. That same leery-face drunkard was still hanging about. "What do you want?" she asked, her tone cold as ice.

"Tha... tha game was rigged!" he tottered toward her, hand running along the outer Saloon wall as a guide. Ling glanced toward the door. The bouncer was otherwise occupied with a pretty lady patron. Great.

"Hey, I'm talkin' t'ya!" She turned toward the drunk to retort —- and the next thing she knew she was on the ground and seeing stars. Wha-—? Her face was bleeding profusely, and the centre of it hurt like fire. She spat on the ground, noting with a grimace her mouth was bleeding, too. Woozily, she tried to stand.

He hit her again, on the other side of her face. Her head knocked against the Saloon wall, and she cursed — loudly — as she crumpled to the ground. The vision in her left eye turned red, and she struggled to stay conscious, clumsily pulling her boot-knives out and slashing around wildly. The man yelped and shouted a string of expletives, and Ling knew metal had found flesh. With difficulty, she stood, leaning against the wall for support. Shutting her bad eye, she glared at the man, who was clutching his wounded thigh.

"Get out of here!" she shouted, hoping to attract SOMEone's attention. Ling brandished her knife with bravado. "Go on, or I'll gut you."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 2, 2012 16:15:10 GMT -6
ailin
May 23, 2012 1:19:15 GMT -6

Post by ailin on May 23, 2012 1:19:15 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
For the first block after leaving the clinic, Mei wondered if any of that had actually happened. Eventually she was convinced that it had, and the more terrifying question was what to do the next night. There was still a chance Iluak was offering as a form of payment, and blurting out phrases like, “I really care about you!” and “You are the handsomest man!” was a bad idea. Every time Mei had done that in the past the result was awkward silence followed by inane chatter as she attempted to cover. It would be nice to do it right this time.

A few blocks later and Mei had run through ten scenarios of how the date could go. Seven of them were an embarrassing failure, one was neutral as soon as she picked up that it was only repayment, and two where it proceeded as a normal date. Normal as far as Mei was concerned, which mostly involved eating, and her talking too much. But Iluak might smile or chuckle and that would be the sign that he was at least enjoying himself.

The yellow smog had not cleared up, each street becoming on with it, perhaps the buildings dissolved in the acid of the night air. That was Republic City for you. Mei passed underneath the still flickering streetlamp, but heard no happy singers on this trip. Only a few people, all walking with only destinations in mind. Several satomobiles rumbled down the streets, leaving more stinking smog in their wake.

Muffled distant music told Mei she was getting close before the bright lights of the Golden Fan Saloon came into view. That music was drowned out by shouting and two figures directly in front of the tavern.

“Get out of here!” The voice was home, one of the only ones she knew better than her own. “Go on, or I’ll gut you.”

Mei ran the rest of the distance to the Saloon. Her baby sister, her rambunctious and joyful baby sister, looked like she’d been hit with a satomobile while the man in front of her hobbled and clutched at his leg while shouting a string of obscenities. Ling, one eye shut, blood staining her face, leaned against the Saloon as she waved a dagger in front of her. Whatever security there was for the Saloon hadn’t been interested enough to bother. That was wrong.

Ling was hurt. That was far more wrong.

Mei twisted the cap and the water flowed out. Palms out, the water responded, poised and ready for a striking move. Her lips pulled into a thin line and her blue eyes narrowed at the man. She recognized him now from the card game.

“Excuse me,” she said, “my sister needs my help.” Her tone suggested the water could be used for less-than-soothing purposes if she did not get the response she wanted. While Mei believed there was a way to avoid scuffles with words, or a smile, or a combination of both, it was also true that a well worded reasonable statement could do the trick. A statement that came with years of training behind it, poised and ready.
This user is a guest