The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Shipping!

hotaru
Jun 18, 2012 10:28:16 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 18, 2012 10:28:16 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I just thought it'd be fun to have a little thread on shipping!

For those that don't know shipping is the belief that two characters from a series could have romantic feelings for each other and start a relationship. Basically, your favorite couple of a series.

Talk about your favorite ship, why is it your favorite? What's your strangest ship? Do you even like shipping at all?

Please no flaming of other people's ships, be respectful as always!

Favorite ATLA ship: Toko
I think it's mostly because it's my two favorite characters. I know it's probably not canon at all, but I don't really care. In my head, they'd make a pretty interesting couple :)

Favorite TLOK ship: errr Borra or Makorra
Honestly, even though there's a lot of shipping material, as the series goes on I'm feeling less and less involved in these two couples. Borra would be great because I love Bolin and I'm a sucker for the whole "best friend to boyfriend" plot lines, but I think he's over Korra and has completely lost interest in her. With Makorra it's just different whenever you ask me. Their scenes together are cute but my annoyance toward Mako just kind of overshadows that.
Once General Iroh gets more than two lines I'll probably start shipping him with everybody.
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
Jun 18, 2012 11:48:13 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 18, 2012 11:48:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I ship the following:

- BolinXPabu
- BolinXNoodles

and, at the risk of sounding like a sick, depraved individual, Makolin. >.>
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 18, 2012 13:50:06 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 13:50:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Makorra is my ship, and I think that's how it's going to end in the series. Boami I'd also like to see.
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
Jun 18, 2012 14:31:49 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 18, 2012 14:31:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I ship Korra with no one because THE AVATAR DON'T NEED NO MAN TO BE AWESOME.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 15:28:58 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
kaitokatashi Avatar
Jun 18, 2012 14:31:49 GMT -6 @kaitokatashi said:

Word. <3 That would be a neat thing to see.

I have a few "ships" — but only in the sense of I like the pairing, rather than me vehemently thinking / wanting it to happen:

Korra x No one
Korra x Bolin
Korra x Asami (what >.>)
Bolin x Noodles
Mako x Scarf
Asami x Mako
Lin x Bolin (in a way xD I think it's more hero-worship on Bolin's part)
Meelo x farts

EDIT: And now it's time for a ranty-rant on shipping in general.

While I am a fan of making pairings — serious OTPs to O3Ps to crackships and everything in between — I absolutely LOATHE the hate some OTPshippers put forth. We can't influence anything on the show, so ship and let freaking ship.

Don't attack characters on the merits of their canon ship or their shippers. (I'm looking at YOU Mako-Belongs-With-Korra-Anti-Asami people!)
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 18, 2012 15:30:45 GMT -6
yakone
Jun 18, 2012 15:30:38 GMT -6

Post by yakone on Jun 18, 2012 15:30:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
No no no no no, Meelo x Asami. "You're pretty, can I have some of your hair?" :)
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 15:31:26 GMT -6

yakone Avatar
No no no no no, Meelo x Asami. "You're pretty, can I have some of your hair?" :)

Because that's not creepy :X If anything it'd be Meelo -> Asami. Just to avoid any squick.
This user is Mod
jin
Jun 18, 2012 15:37:02 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 15:37:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hey, I don't hate Asami. Makorra just seems more canon (as in my headcanon) imo. ;D

They can stay together for all I care, and Korra can be the strong, independent woman and be alone for the rest of her life. Just with the way she acts towards boys, you know, actually liking them, that scenario is the least likely.

Still, Makorra - Masami - Borra - Boami...Hell, even Boodles is fine with me. xP
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 18, 2012 15:37:33 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 15:41:57 GMT -6

jin Avatar
Hey, I don't hate Asami. Makorra just seems more canon (as in my headcanon) imo. ;D

They can stay together for all I care, and Korra can be the strong, independent woman and be alone for the rest of her life. Just with the way she acts towards boys, you know, actually liking them, that scenario is the least likely.

Still, Makorra - Masami - Borra - Boami...Hell, even Boodles is fine with me. xP

I kind of loathe all of the portmanteaus :X And if you don't hate Asami, then I wasn't talking about your shipping! xD

Also, just because you LIKE a gender doesn't mean you have to "get with" someone! She can have a healthy relationship (physical or otherwise) without "being with" a person.

Toph clearly liked boys too, but she hasn't been "hooked up" with anyone!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 18, 2012 15:42:16 GMT -6
jin
Jun 18, 2012 15:54:20 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 15:54:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
To our knowledge. Still, the Avatar-verse certainly seems, for the most part, to believe that "marriage" is appropriate.

Not to mention, Korra WANTED to be with Mako. It's not just a like thing, and her kissing him, while not proof enough, is still something to take into consideration.

Either way, to ship, and let ship no? We'll just have to see. I mean, I preferred ZukoxKatara but we see where that went. One badass airbender and three hilarious airbending children is where.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 16:07:18 GMT -6

Yeah I'm going to leave that marriage comment alone. Also, wanting to be with a specific person, and wanting to have relationships in general are two different things.

Ship and let ship definitely. *shrug* It's not like our opinions are going to change where it's going!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 18, 2012 16:09:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 18, 2012 16:09:56 GMT -6

kaitokatashi Avatar

THANK YOU.

I agree. Ideally I'd like to see Korra with no one for pretty obvious reasons, but I'd be okay with Korra and Bolin. I'd like Korra NOT to get with Mako.

I think Mako should either... stay with Asami, or get dumped by Asami for cheating on her with Korra — because that's what it's called when you kiss another girl while you're dating one, so don't say he didn't — and then end up alone.

But in fanon I enjoy Tahno with Korra, I think it's a cute idea.
This user is a former member
suyami
Jun 18, 2012 16:49:45 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Jun 18, 2012 16:49:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Once General Iroh gets more than two lines I'll probably start shipping him with everybody.

HOLLAAAAAA.

Moving past that, I'll always love Zutara. Even though I love Tenzin, too. :)

I would love Korra not to end up with anyone. Originally I was like "whoa, Mako looks attractive" and they had some chemistry, but that kind of faded for me. With both Borra and Makorra, I have reasons for enjoying and disliking both. I just don't feel that either pairing really satisfies me... which is why, at this point, I'm a big fan of Korra x no one, haha.

^Mm, Tahno and Korra was a cute idea. ^_~
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 18, 2012 17:00:52 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 17:00:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Just, for the record, I think the idea of an independent woman in a lead role in anything is amazing. Some examples are: Lightning from XIII. She didn't need anyone, and she did everything for her sister.
Anko from Naruto. Great at her job, puts people in their place.
Unohana from Bleach. Potentially the second most powerful captain in the entire gotei.

Those are a few examples, but with that, from what I've seen, and in my own personal opinion, Korra does not display the desire to be alone. Independent? Most definitely, we got that from episode one. Strong? She's the damn avatar. but alone? I just don't agree.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 18, 2012 17:01:25 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 18, 2012 17:27:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 18, 2012 17:27:46 GMT -6

rui Avatar
kaitokatashi Avatar

THANK YOU.

I agree. Ideally I'd like to see Korra with no one for pretty obvious reasons, but I'd be okay with Korra and Bolin. I'd like Korra NOT to get with Mako.

I think Mako should either... stay with Asami, or get dumped by Asami for cheating on her with Korra — because that's what it's called when you kiss another girl while you're dating one, so don't say he didn't — and then end up alone.

But in fanon I enjoy Tahno with Korra, I think it's a cute idea.

Wow, Zombi summed up my exact feelings, except for the appealing-ness of Tahno/Korra. I don't see that. Around episode 6 (THE romance episode) I was seriously shipping Borra, but now I've gotten over that. So...I guess I ship KorraXHer own awesomeness and I guess PemaXTenzin just 'cause they're cute together. Saw something on Tumblr about people shipping JinoraXSkoochy, which would be an interesting pairing, though I don't think it'll ever happen.
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Jun 18, 2012 17:45:37 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I agree that Korra doesn't *need* a man but being the Avatar shouldn't disuade her from wanting or having one.

I will admit that I"m a Makorra fan. I like the idea of them together, and have since Day I. I think in the past couple of episdoes, Mako has choosen Korra over Asami, but hasn't admitted it to himself or to Asami. He needs to either break up with her and be done with it, or start treating Korra a little differently, because Asami has every right to be upset.
This user is Mod
This user is Mod
hotaru
Jun 18, 2012 18:21:01 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 18, 2012 18:21:01 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Wow, lot's of people seem to like Korra with no one. That'd be a pretty interesting turn, since usually a main character of a series (especially female leads) almost always gets paired in canon, at least as far as I've seen. I think it makes sense, too. After the whole "Sato is an equalist!" fiasco where she told Mako to be with Asami, it seemed like Korra was sort of giving up on him. Maybe she's come to terms with that?
This user is a guest
hotaru
Jun 18, 2012 18:22:33 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 18, 2012 18:22:33 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
sd Avatar
i see...

then definitely zuko and toph
or no wait
sokka and toph

dang do i wonder with who zuko got together lol
since katara was already taken obviously xD

My hope for Toko remains!!

Actually the way it's playing out in the Promise comic I think he either got with Suki or maybe Kori.
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 18, 2012 18:28:07 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 18:28:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Sokka/Toph couldn't have happened. That would make Lin and Tenzin cousins. -shudder-

Toph and Zuko though? Epic. That would mean Lin and Iroh are siblings and Iroh would have more of a reason to take the city back.

Though, it does look like it's gonna be Zuki but then that begs the question...what about Sokka?
This user is a guest