The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Probending Season Begins!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 11:52:31 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hello, hello! This is the official plotting thread for TARP's first Probending season. Spectator or player, all characters are welcome to participate in the Probending events. You can view the inner-workings of the arena here.

Team order will be chosen at random later in this thread, closer to the start of the season. This years RL schedule is as follows:

Season Matches
Date
Home Team
vs.
Away Team
June 25The Flying Koivs.The Lion Turtles
July 11Raven-Eaglesvs.Dragon-Hawks
July 27Arctic Wolvesvs.[Zheng's Team, Name TBD]
August 13[Byakko's Team, Name TBD]vs.TBD

Quarter-Finals:
Match 5: August 29th
Match 6: September 14th

Semi-Finals
Match 7: October 1st vs. Fire Ferrets
Match 8: October 17th vs. Wolf Bats

Finals
November 2nd: Fire Ferrets vs. Wolf Bats

Probending hopefuls can form or join a team here. Spectators can plan dates, group get-togethers, or family outings in this thread. Players, invite your loved ones and friends!

If you have questions, please ask here.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 24, 2012 1:30:51 GMT -6
salv
Jun 19, 2012 19:26:52 GMT -6

Post by salv on Jun 19, 2012 19:26:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Something has been floating around in the back of my mind for a while; only now has it dawned on me that I should totally ask for clarification. In the show, there was a bit of a preliminaries tournament before the actual championship took place. I understand that the first tournament isn't happening on-site, but are we supposed to RP as if it did? Should probending characters have already competed to qualify in this tournament or is this tournament all that TARP is acknowledging?
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jun 19, 2012 19:28:02 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 19, 2012 19:34:29 GMT -6

salv Avatar
Something has been floating around in the back of my mind for a while; only now has it dawned on me that I should totally ask for clarification. In the show, there was a bit of a preliminaries tournament before the actual championship took place. I understand that the first tournament isn't happening on-site, but are we supposed to RP as if it did? Should probending characters have already competed to qualify in this tournament or is this tournament all that TARP is acknowledging?

We are doing the preliminaries here, that's why it's the "Season" rather than just the tournament.

There aren't a lot of teams, however, mainly because of our current population numbers (and quite frankly, the difficulty we've had in getting probender characters).

The first four matches are the "regular season" — the prelims to get into the tournament that Future Industries sponsored the Ferrets for.

The next matches after that are the "tiered" finals, which will round up with the canon Fire Ferrets x Wolf Bats.

So, the first match between the OC teams will be like you're competing alongside the canon teams for spots on the tournament. Once each OC team match is decided, we will also be announcing canon team outcomes (but for the sake of expediency will not be waiting for these canon teams to be filled with canon players).

Hope that clears it up!
This user is Mod
salv
Jun 19, 2012 19:48:38 GMT -6

Post by salv on Jun 19, 2012 19:48:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
derp. I don't know why this hadn't occurred to me earlier. I think I may have seen a couple IC posts about needing to raise the 30k yuans for entry and maybe that's why. It all makes sense now, though. Thanks a lot.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 19, 2012 20:17:44 GMT -6

salv Avatar
derp. I don't know why this hadn't occurred to me earlier. I think I may have seen a couple IC posts about needing to raise the 30k yuans for entry and maybe that's why. It all makes sense now, though. Thanks a lot.

No problem! If this is happening IC though, everyone needs to keep in mind that the 30k is for the FINALS only. :]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 23, 2012 3:32:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 23, 2012 3:32:43 GMT -6

A question I meant to ask a while back.

Are the canon team names - the names of the teams that have been seen pro-bending and that are listed on ASN and nick.com - locked for our use, or is it okay if we have the same name as one of them ? *bows*
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 23, 2012 13:50:15 GMT -6

joychmi Avatar
A question I meant to ask a while back.

Are the canon team names - the names of the teams that have been seen pro-bending and that are listed on ASN and nick.com - locked for our use, or is it okay if we have the same name as one of them ? *bows*

Canon Teams are Canon Teams. :] If you're not a canon team, your team name cannot be canon.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 23, 2012 13:50:41 GMT -6
jin
Jun 23, 2012 14:23:40 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 23, 2012 14:23:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
A little friendly sportsmen crap talking.

You're ALL going down.
This user is a guest
azn
Jun 24, 2012 10:12:44 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 24, 2012 10:12:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I wanted to get some practice using the official template before tomorrow, but it doesn't show properly.. I think I read somewhere the template only works in certain threads?

I was also hoping you could give a match example. I think I understand that the dice-roll will show in the preview of a post and I am assuming the number doesn't change every preview.

I was just wondering how the attack/react/defend system would work in-thread, and I learn best through trail-and-error. Any way you could open up an official practice-thread with templates enabled?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 10:34:25 GMT -6

azn Avatar
I wanted to get some practice using the official template before tomorrow, but it doesn't show properly.. I think I read somewhere the template only works in certain threads?

I was also hoping you could give a match example. I think I understand that the dice-roll will show in the preview of a post and I am assuming the number doesn't change every preview.

I was just wondering how the attack/react/defend system would work in-thread, and I learn best through trail-and-error. Any way you could open up an official practice-thread with templates enabled?

You're right, the templates only work in the probending board.

Essentially, the attack / react / defend system would function something like this (with more roleplaying, obviously xD).

Kami — (atk dice roll: 19) Kami attacks Sekiatsu with xyz water attack!
Sekiatsu — (def dice roll: 20) Sekiatsu blocks!
Sekiatsu — (atk dice roll: 14) Sekiatsu attacks Kami with xyz attack!
Kami — (def dice roll: 7) Kami is hit!

Does that make sense?

As far as practicing, I'm not really sure what you'd need to practice? :] It's just removing the dummy text and replacing it with your own RP post / character name. :] All sections are clearly labelled.
This user is Mod
azn
Jun 24, 2012 11:15:29 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 24, 2012 11:15:29 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

Essentially, the attack / react / defend system would function something like this (with more roleplaying, obviously xD).

Kami — (atk dice roll: 19) Kami attacks Sekiatsu with xyz water attack!
Sekiatsu — (def dice roll: 20) Sekiatsu blocks!
Sekiatsu — (atk dice roll: 14) Sekiatsu attacks Kami with xyz attack!
Kami — (def dice roll: 7) Kami is hit!

PS: All i could hear in my head was the Pokemon battle-music.

I see that's how it works. Here are more detailed questions:

Is every one of these actions 1 whole post?
Is the first poster ONLY attacking?
WHO goes first?
Does everyone do a preliminary roll to see what happens in the first exchange?
Is it 1st poster attacks, 2nd poster defends first then attacks?

as far as practice, I just wanted to have a dummy-match (even a match with a dummy...) as it may answer some of my questions.
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jun 24, 2012 11:16:07 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 11:34:35 GMT -6

- Each player gets two posts per round. What you do within these posts is up to you: if you choose not to defend against an incoming attack, you automatically will be knocked back a zone.

- The First poster can do whatever they like, as stated before. But, you only get two posts per round, so it is not advisable to do nothing if you want to help your team out!

- I go first. xD Seriously, though. The Announcer / Referee will make the opening post. After that, the teams start simultaneously (so to speak) so order does not matter.

- No, why would they? That's incredibly complicated and unnecessary. :X Just post and roll if you need to, making sure to declare any attacks / defences if applicable.

- Again, what you do in a post is up to you.

————- Regarding practice, I really wish you (and anyone else interested) had asked ages ago. This thread has literally been up for a month, now there's no time because it'll be unfair for people who don't have time within the next 24 hours. So as not to give anyone an unfair advantage, everyone will be starting from the same amount of experience. Not to mention there is really no need for a 'dummy fight'. These are exactly like normal RP posts, except instead of deciding on your own if an attack hits or miss, we've added the dice rolls to keep everything fair. That's literally the only reason the dice is there.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 24, 2012 11:37:58 GMT -6
azn
Jun 24, 2012 11:48:27 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 24, 2012 11:48:27 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ok, I guess my hesitation stems from this question:

How will I know what to defend (and more importantly) if I successfully defend unless I know what type of attack and attack roll I'm defending against?
I don't mean to be a pain, I'm just trying to avoid confusing or over-powered posts (by me).

oh, one more clarification: what if multiple people attack one person, is it 1 defense roll that applies to all attacks or do the attack rolls add up? or does the defender roll for each attack?
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 24, 2012 15:34:58 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 24, 2012 15:34:58 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Are we allowed to change the avatar in the template or do you want us to change to an icon of our charrie if applicable.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 18:36:00 GMT -6

Seikatsu: This is answered in the rules, I thought. If you are being attacked, the person attacking has to say they are attacking you, and then you check their attack roll outcome (in their post). When you're typing up your response, you have to "preview" your post to see what your "defence roll" outcome is, and then you reply accordingly. If multiple people attack one person, then one defence roll counts to all.

Jin: Please leave the avatars alone. :]
This user is Mod
jin
Jun 24, 2012 18:48:39 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 24, 2012 18:48:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, was just curious thanks.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 19:35:34 GMT -6

No problem. :]
This user is Mod
kgal
Jun 24, 2012 23:23:53 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jun 24, 2012 23:23:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hey, quick question. Is there any specific time that we should expect to see a thread pop up? And also, I assume we'll have a couple weeks to complete our match before the next one begins?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 23:28:33 GMT -6

kgal Avatar
Hey, quick question. Is there any specific time that we should expect to see a thread pop up? And also, I assume we'll have a couple weeks to complete our match before the next one begins?

Sometime tomorrow, pacific time. :] I'm hoping early morning, I have some preparations to finish though.

And aye, as stated in the information in the probending arena, each match lasts two real-time weeks; there are a few days or so between matches. :]
This user is Mod
kgal
Jun 24, 2012 23:48:25 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jun 24, 2012 23:48:25 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, thanks =] I appreciate it. I figured we'd have a decent amount of time but I wasn't certain.
This user is a guest