The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 28, 2011 16:42:35 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hello everyone! Kami here, with some REALLY EXCITING NEWS, are you ready?

We will be allowing current members [and our BTT winners] back on TARP on September 1st! That's right - you will be able to continue your RP wherever you may have left off, regardless of whether or not the RP has continued since our hiatus. Feel free to just continue your PM / Email / whatever RPs on the board!

Now, obviously, there are some stipulations for this "unofficial' reopening.

• first, no new character profiles or forum accounts, with the exception of our BTT winners. Since this is an unofficial reopening (and in conjunction with another announcement later on in this post), we are going to be unable to review any new profiles, both OC and canon.

• second, RPs will not affect TARP's "ending"! This is critical. We have in the past given our RPers the freedom to influence the plot. However, certain canon events are set in stone, and while we will be making edits to said events to accommodate for our AU elements, we will be trying our best to bring TARP back to the canon ending of the series.

• lastly, only the RP areas will be open. We are still working on our SUPER [soon not to be] SECRET PROJECT, and things are going to get shuffled around. To limit confusion as much as possible, we're restricting early member access to strictly the RP areas.

Why all these stipulations, you ask? Well, that's because:

TARP IS GOING TO REOPEN FOR KORRA!

Part of me thinks that you've all guessed this by now, so if you have, NOW IT'S OFFICIAL (Yaaay!). And if you haven't, also "yaaaay!" Now, with that said, we are going to delay TARP's "official" Korra-reopening until closer to the pilot [the exact date to be determined].

The reason we're not opening it up as of yet is, quite frankly, there's just not enough information about Korra. That's also why we're bringing TARP back to canon, and why we're limiting any new information being added to the boards. We don't know, exactly how Korra and AtLA are going to be "married" [so to speak] and we want to avoid being drastically AU before the series even starts.

When we do open for Korra, there will be a lot of changes. The first, most obvious one will be a change in layout. I'm doing a lot of prep work to get ready for a radical [but hopefully better!] layout change, so any mess you see between now and then is a direct result of that.

Secondly, we will be trying to reach out to a broader range of audience. Korra will be introducing a lot of people unfamiliar with the series to the world of Avatar, and we want to build up our community to include them. The more fans, the merrier, right? Our goals are to not only create a good roleplay like we've had in the past, but to also nurture our members' OOC experience. We will be encouraging more OOC interaction between members, both in regards to the RP, and socially.

The last "major" change in TARP will, of course, be a restructuring of our rules. No worries - the core of the rules will remain the same. Common sense will still have a lot of say in how we manage the site. But, we have taken a good look at what's been happening on TARP, possible reasons [aside from lack-of-show] that lead to our hiatus, as well as taking into consideration your feedback - our rules will be restructured to try and create not only a better forum experience, but a more fair one.

Once again, we won't be opening registrations to the general public until we're more comfortable with the released information for Korra. But, now is your chance to make a difference on TARP. We are still accepting feedback for your TARP experiences, so with the exception of Member-Created RP threads & a chat box, the floor is yours. Be polite, respectful, and we will take your suggestions and feedback very seriously.

As always, you can contact any staff member here, through our facebook page, or at theavatarrp.@yahoo.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

edit;; something I forgot to mention. We will be allowing some characters to be "rebooted" for Korra — that is, their existence will be "ignored" in gAang-era TARP, and they can be re-written to be contemporary with the new series. Obviously, we will have guidelines about which characters can be rebooted. The characters that will be qualified for a reboot are characters that:

• haven't been used
  • have been used very little
  • do not have any major part in a plot

If you have a character that fits two out of three of these, it is eligible for a reboot, so keep that in mind as you hear more information about Korra.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 28, 2011 17:06:57 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 1, 2011 15:45:41 GMT -6

Please bear in mind that the currently layout is only temporary while I sort out coding and such! i think i'll keep that flying Appa, though.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 2, 2011 4:03:02 GMT -6

it occurs to me that my first message may not have been clear:

feel free to respond to this thread if you have any suggestions for TARP!
you're still free to PM or email if you feel uncomfortable posting publicly, but i'm sure you guys have some sort of feedback!
This user is Mod
hanabi
Sept 2, 2011 16:20:17 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Sept 2, 2011 16:20:17 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Could I just keep my character and make her at the time a very old woman? Korra is pretty far in the future but I'd rather have Hanabi be many years older then reboot my character as if she's never existed.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 2, 2011 17:04:06 GMT -6

Hanabi wouldn't qualify for a reboot. She's not a "little used" or "not used" character by any means.

I don't know about it, honestly. We can revisit the issue closer to when Korra's released, but we already know for a fact that the entire gAang has died - by extension, that generally means people older than their age range (12-16) would have died long before they did. It's possible, just not probable.

The Core Staff and I will need to discuss our terms for allowing people to carry over (without rebooting) their TARP characters, so I can't really commit to anything at this time. If we do allow it (and that's a big IF at this point in time), it will come with a lot of strings attached.

In short: we'll see, but don't hold your breath too much. :]
This user is Mod
kyozuki
Sept 4, 2011 21:37:37 GMT -6

Post by kyozuki on Sept 4, 2011 21:37:37 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ooh, goody goody

*rubs hands and prepares to go into creative writing battle with whoever else ends up putting in a canon application for Jinora*
This user is a guest
kgal
Sept 5, 2011 8:49:34 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 5, 2011 8:49:34 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
So how should we handle the character creation process? I mean, sure I could reboot Fu-Ling, but since she obviously wouldn't be carrying over into Korra era, I was thinking of creating a new character for when the site officially reopens. I've already created a new character, and have her personality, job, and family down set. I have a few questions about this:

1) Should we expect that society isn't too much different from Aang to Korra? Like, if my character was, say a chef, would it be okay to just assume that the food is generally similar?
2) Is it fine if the character's home setting is fairly generic, like "large, bustling city in the Earth Kingdom" or "small rural village on a Fire Nation island"?

I guess I should say, should we hold off on the creation of Korra-era characters until the show actually starts, or is it okay to get basics down? And is it preferred to continue with premade characters or make a new one for now and then another new one for the official?

Sorry if none of this made sense, lol.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 5, 2011 9:00:27 GMT -6

kgal Avatar
So how should we handle the character creation process? I mean, sure I could reboot Fu-Ling, but since she obviously wouldn't be carrying over into Korra era, I was thinking of creating a new character for when the site officially reopens. I've already created a new character, and have her personality, job, and family down set. I have a few questions about this:

1) Should we expect that society isn't too much different from Aang to Korra? Like, if my character was, say a chef, would it be okay to just assume that the food is generally similar?
2) Is it fine if the character's home setting is fairly generic, like "large, bustling city in the Earth Kingdom" or "small rural village on a Fire Nation island"?

I guess I should say, should we hold off on the creation of Korra-era characters until the show actually starts, or is it okay to get basics down? And is it preferred to continue with premade characters or make a new one for now and then another new one for the official?

Sorry if none of this made sense, lol.

I think if you get basics down - general feel / tenative backstory / appearance / bending / name - it should be okay. Just don't get too bogged down with "historic" details until we know more about the 70 years' time. don't get too hung up on the steampunk aspect either - we have seen cars so far, but we don't know how widespread this technology is and such. Honestly, from what we know on the show so far, I'd be comfortable with (personally) creating a character's name/age/gender/appearance/personality.

1] I would. Even if you look at todays' Asian cultures, the "traditional" cuisine hasn't changed, only the preparation and/or display of it (and in some areas, it's still done the 'old fashioned' way). Steampunk generally mixes the "old" world with a bit of industrial revolution — a good example of steampunk would be the movie "Howl's Moving Castle": a bit fantastical, still with "magic" but more technologically advanced than traditional "fantasy monarchy" settings. Again, I'd do it tentatively, and not set anything in stone in case released information drastically alters the world we know.

2] That's fine. Specific places on TARP that are user created generally remain nameless unless it's run by staff anyway. :]

the last bit didn't reaaaally make sense to me, but I'm going to presume you're asking about what character you make for playing /now/. If that's the case, you're free to do what you'd like - remake Fu-Ling/any of your other OCs, or create an entirely new one. :]

As a note (thought I'd hope you already have done this), do check the rules before writing up anything. :] Feel free to send me profile questions via PM.

Hopefully that answers everything!
This user is Mod
kgal
Sept 5, 2011 9:24:20 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 5, 2011 9:24:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm somewhat confused about the last part. Did I post something wrong or in the wrong spot? o.O I don't understand. But I will do that. If I have any more profile questions. =|

Anyways, related to the reboot: Are you guys planning on continuing to implement the roleplaying school? I guess you removed it or whatever but I know that there were some issues with it, mainly involving partners not showing/mods not moderating, etc. Is there going to be another "gauntlet" so to speak to allow new members to roleplay, or is the character acceptance process going to be enough?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 5, 2011 9:37:10 GMT -6

oh, it was just a standard 'before you make your character, please check the rules' thing. you were last here in 2009, if i recall, so the rules have changed somewhat since then. (and don't worry about asking questions! i'd rather have a tonne of questions [that aren't answered in the FAQ of course] than have a profile you'd have to redo extensively.

Good question, and it's actually a two fold answer. It's not coming back, per se, but we are going to try something new that is similar. The Practice Arena will be a place where people can go to brush up their roleplaying if they feel they want to. It won't be mandatory this time around. There's a sticky in the board, but a condensed version of how it works will be that a person or persons (depending on what you'd like to practice) will create a thread, and specify in the title what they would like help with (default would be an overall review). A staff member would then come by whenever notified and give their opinion on how to improve (if necessary) the posts.

So, an example thread title: "Fu-Ling vs. Toph Battle [General]" <— this would say to use you want a general opinion on the battle.

"Fu Ling vs. Toph [Environments]" <— you want an opinion on how you use environmental imagery in your posts.

and so on.

——

The second part is that we're going to include the "exemption" within every first original character profile (canon applicants will still need to provide an RP sample with each application). This is how most sites do it, and we believe it will be sufficient to revert to this method to indicate RP skill. An inappropriate or lacking RP sample will simply result in the moderator reviewing it asking the author to try again, and give guidance on what could be improved, much like the exemption process. The Practice Arena will not be made mandatory in these cases.

Hopefully this makes sense. :]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 5, 2011 9:39:35 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 5, 2011 10:59:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 5, 2011 10:59:23 GMT -6

This is definitely helping me out. I've been having some trouble with recreating Shuai, but I'll get it worked out. I just wanted to know if the template for OCs was still the basic: name/age/gender/appearance/history/personality? I can't seem to find the OC template xP
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Sept 5, 2011 11:00:17 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 5, 2011 11:14:17 GMT -6

Gender wasn't previously included on our applications due to the gender-segregated subboards, but it will be later. :] So yes. (And the OC template was removed, when we put a form code in for all new OC profile threads. xD sorry about that!)
This user is Mod
kgal
Sept 6, 2011 11:22:25 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 6, 2011 11:22:25 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Another quick question: Let's say I wanted to reboot Fu-Ling for the gaang-era roleplay. Should I post the profile somewhere specific? If so, where would that be? I worked quite a bit on her during class today (don't judge me) and I was wondering if it would be a big deal if I just popped it somewhere on the site for reference.

Alternately, if that's not necessary, then can I start rping in the boards, say, now? Or are we waiting for something before we post?

EDIT: I'm currently saving the information I have right now into my user notes in my profile. If it's unnecessary to post it before roleplaying, I'll gladly send it via pm to whoever asks.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kgal: Sept 6, 2011 11:51:14 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 6, 2011 17:46:31 GMT -6

a bit of clarification on "reboots" — let's keep it referring to Korra-profiles for now, so we don't get confused. :]

for whatever profile you choose to make to RP in the gAang era, you'll need to send it to me in a PM, as it still needs to go through the regular profile acceptance process.

after that's done, you can RP to your heart's desire on the open boards.
This user is Mod
kgal
Sept 6, 2011 18:13:26 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 6, 2011 18:13:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Haha, my bad. "Recreate" then, I suppose.

Also: I sent you what I have. It's longer than I wanted it to be but oh well. Thanks again for sticking with me and answering all of my noob-ish questions =]
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 6, 2011 18:19:34 GMT -6

no problem! i'm off to bed for now, and i'll look at it in the morning. :] sorry for the delay, i've been up for almost 24 hours though. xD
This user is Mod
kgal
Sept 8, 2011 11:25:26 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 8, 2011 11:25:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Anybody up for roleplaying? Kami said I'm in the clear and she'd post my profile soon, but basically Fu-Ling is a wandering firebender roaming around the Earth Kingdom. She's 22 years old, financially, physically, (sexually), and mentally capable. And she's willing to talk to anyone (even if she has a fair bit of racial prejudice towards them. She has major commitment issues and hates overcomplicating things. Otherwise, she's quite nice, very patient, and proud of her home nation.

Anybody up for it?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Sept 9, 2011 0:02:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 9, 2011 0:02:52 GMT -6

kgal Avatar
Anybody up for roleplaying? Kami said I'm in the clear and she'd post my profile soon, but basically Fu-Ling is a wandering firebender roaming around the Earth Kingdom. She's 22 years old, financially, physically, (sexually), and mentally capable. And she's willing to talk to anyone (even if she has a fair bit of racial prejudice towards them. She has major commitment issues and hates overcomplicating things. Otherwise, she's quite nice, very patient, and proud of her home nation.

Anybody up for it?

Sure. I know that I have at least one character that is tentatively unused, and she's a firebender as well. I'm not sure what the rules are on using other characters or how "official" this type of RP would be, but depending on the rules, I've got other characters. Zhin (my open character) is not easily described through a brief summary, as my descriptions come best when I just jump in and RP. Lemme know what you think.

~Tenoko~
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 9, 2011 10:08:53 GMT -6

tenoko Avatar
kgal Avatar

Anybody up for it?

Sure. I know that I have at least one character that is tentatively unused, and she's a firebender as well. I'm not sure what the rules are on using other characters or how "official" this type of RP would be, but depending on the rules, I've got other characters. Zhin (my open character) is not easily described through a brief summary, as my descriptions come best when I just jump in and RP. Lemme know what you think.

~Tenoko~

As per the red: All RP done on the boards is considered "official" as I've stated before / is in the RP area header, it just will not affect the outcome of the final battle / our wrap up to bring us to Korra time. :]
This user is Mod
kgal
Sept 9, 2011 10:16:14 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Sept 9, 2011 10:16:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm not sure if that's what Tenoko meant? I don't want to speak for anyone but I have a question:

Is the "liquid time" rule on hold? I mean, I'd love to roleplay with more than one person at once but I only have one character, and that's Fu-Ling. A couple different people asked if I'd like to role play, but I'm not sure whether I need to wait until one thread is finished.
This user is a guest