The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Prompt Exemption Samples II

Post by Gia on May 4, 2010 9:41:47 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Here it is, people. Make sure you have signed up first in the Sign-up thread, and then come here and wait for your prompt to be posted. Remember these rules:

1. No posts under 700 characters allowed. It's difficult to do a really good post, but have it be short.
2. No controlling other characters. That's against the rules in any RPG board. We want to see how well you can RP if there are other people present who you cannot control.
3. NPC's are not allowed. These posts are intended to be monologues. As I said above, we are looking to see how well you RP when no one else is around.
4. If you pass, but go into the regular RP boards, and slip, you will be forced to go to do another sample, whether Prompt or Free Form. If you fail, you will have to redo your exemption. In the event that you have to redo your exemption, you are not required to write another exemption.
5. No OOC posts allowed, no exceptions. We don't want to see anything else besides your RP post and a header entitled "[Insert Your Name Here]'s RP Sample".
6. Don't re-post your prompt. If you can roleplay well, we will know what it is.
6. Age does not matter. There have been plenty of decent roleplayers of a young age. We ask for your age to get an idea of what you're like based on your age and how well you write.
7. Don't sell yourself short when writing your prompt! We're looking for good posts of decent length. We might deny your exemption for any of the following reasons, including but not limited to: not enough description, spelling errors, grammar errors, bad formatting.

REMEMBER, your posts do not have to be in the Avatar's world. They can be anywhere.

Good Luck and may the Force be with you!
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 4, 2010 9:53:01 GMT -6

Post by Gia on May 26, 2010 21:13:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Yuna's Prompt - You are an extremely intelligent 16-year-old loner with low morals, without any friends. Someone a few years older than you, representing someone very bad, comes around and offers to give you everything... in exchange for you working for them. What do you think? What do you want to do? What are you feeling? Dig deep, use only your character, and do not just scratch the surface.
This user is Mod
yuna
May 27, 2010 21:14:01 GMT -6

Post by yuna on May 27, 2010 21:14:01 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
"Yuna's RP Sample"

A dark figure lay motionless on a tattered old cot with its bare feet poking out from beneath the stained covers. A dusty window situated on the left side of the cramped room let in only fragments of light generated by the rays of the sun. Its red hue suggested that it was almost sunset. Downstairs, where the lights of the orphanage were white and on, there seemed to be a lot of commotion and excitement, but where the dark figure slept there was only stuffy air and a window that blotted out the light. Before the figure was roused from its sleep it let out a muffled groan then rolled, softly, off of its cot and onto the cold, damp floor. The stench that rose from the moldy wood forced its lips to quiver and its eyes to shut more tightly in an attempt to dislodge the odor of the wood from its memory, but no matter how hard it tried it couldn’t. That stench was a part of the figure and nothing could separate the two, nothing. Then, when the figure thought that it was absolutely true, that nothing could ever separate the two, it cautiously reached into its pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper and on it scribbled in fine ink was the name Carol; that was her.

Turning herself over so that she faced the ceiling, Carol gripped the letter as tightly as she could and hoped that like herself it would just disappear and become nothing more than ash, in a jar, atop someone’s fireplace. Biting her already swollen lip, the sixteen-year old placed the letter at her side then pulled her bony legs up and curled into a tight, little ball. It was hard to focus with all of the commotion going on downstairs. For an orphanage there seemed to be a little too much excitement, then again girls get antsy when they're cooped up together for such a long period of time, but none of it bothered Carol. She didn’t need anyone to be with, she didn’t need someone to be her best pal or share secrets with. She just needed the silence of her uninviting room and a cure to all of her madness. Unable to stand the noise any longer she lifted herself from the floor-with great effort- and pushing hard on her rustic door she exited her room and took off to the roof with the crumpled, white letter in her skeletal hand.

The sky redder than before now casted a shadow against the unhealthy Carol who sat near the edge of the brick building with the letter in her hands and her eyes on the ground. No one ever passed by the orphanage anymore, or at least nobody who actually cared about the well being of these girls. It was frustrating living in such an environment, a place where everyone told you that you would someday make it in life. But what is life anyway, thought Carol as she set her sights on the horizon, there is no life here, there’s only pain, misery and stupidity. Carol was always that way inclined when it came to intelligence. Her superiority in all subjects forced her further and further away from the other girls at the orphanage who obsessed over their cuticles and nail-beds. None of them knew what it was like to be in pain, so much pain that the thought of death, the thought of no more pain was the only image that could comfort Carol in her time of need. No one understood that, no one knew how many times Carol had actually attempted suicide and how many pills and razors she hid under her cot, except for maybe the person who wrote her this letter.

It was scary to know that someone besides yourself could know you so well, so well in fact that they’d follow you to a library, stalk you for weeks on end then deliver a letter to your makeshift home and arouse no sense of suspicion in any of the caretaker’s, especially in Carol’s case seeing as how she had not one living relative to write to. Adults were so absurd sometimes. Now fixing her eyes on the letter, Carol unfolded it for about the twentieth time and while she did she couldn’t help but notice the goose-bumps that covered her fleshy arms and the chills that ran down her protruding spine. "They even know what I need." she sighed before folding the letter back up and casting it off to the side. She then buried her face in her hands and tried hard not to cry. She knew that if she wanted to she could do it with absolutely no sense of remorse. She could just do it and then all of her problems would be solved, but how could she? How could she do that to the girls she’s lived with for so long? "I don’t neeeed them," she weeped burying herself further into her hands, "I don’t give a crap, they’re all useless. They don’t need help... I do." Digging her long nails into her pale face all hope seemed hopeless and sense no longer made sense. Life was just another word for confusion and Carol’s indecision was the seedling of her own fear. She knew she needed the treatment, needed it more than anything else in the world, but could she go about ruining the lives of these girls in order to get what she wanted?

Suddenly a sharp pain in her abdomen sent her flying backward and with her spine to the cement roof she knew what she had to do. She wanted nothing more than for the pain and swelling to go away. She needed help, a lot of help, and this man promised to take care of her in exchange for one, simple, little deed. Is it worth it? her mind questioned and for the first time in her years of suffering Carol did not have an answer. For the first time she didn’t want to know the answer, all she wanted was a solution to her acute problem. Rising slowly to her feet she reached forward, grabbed the letter and tore it to shreds. Racing the down three flights of stairs and taking each street she remembered that was described to her in the letter, Carol arrived at an apartment complex, ringed the bell and entered into a dimly lit hallway. She pushed past anyone who got in her way until she arrived at her destination; room 3C. She knocked on the door as was also described in the letter and within seconds she found herself seated across from a man who she could only describe as gray in appearance.

Leaning back in her chair, she crossed her arms against her bony chest then said in a raspy voice, "I’ll do what you say as long as you keep your end of the bargain. I need those treatments for my leukemia however, I do have one request." Shifting in her seat so that she looked about as serious as a school teacher, Carol slowly leaned forward and both clearly and forcefully she said, "I can’t do it to the girls at my orphanage, I’d much rather traffic other girls for you. I know I can do it."

This user is a guest
Last edit by yuna: May 27, 2010 21:21:12 GMT -6

Post by Gia on May 27, 2010 21:58:17 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Yuna - Wow... well, I must say that's one of the best samples I've read in quite a while. You're a talented writer, there's no doubt about that. I love the length. I love the edge of the sample, as well as the sense of mystery you put in it. The only real critisism I have is here is that there's not enough about what she looks like or what her surroundings look like, other than some general facts about her room and the fact that she's unnaturally thin. Make sure, in the future, to put a tad more about what the place looks like so others can build upon it and what she looks like. :) Other than that, wonderful. ACCEPTED
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jun 7, 2010 15:41:22 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Miharu's Prompt - You wrote a story that is very controversial. You feel that is good and well written, despite this. You show it to a friend that you are sure would understand, and like it; you know you're a good writer, and that the story is good. However, your friend does not understand, and does not like the story at all. Your friend says it's not good and badly written, when other people whom you do not know all that well told you otherwise. Do you believe your friend? How do you feel? What do you want to do? Remember, no other characters except the one, and dig deep.
This user is Mod
rintokohona
Jun 7, 2010 17:59:25 GMT -6

Post by rintokohona on Jun 7, 2010 17:59:25 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
"Miharu's RP Sample"

Three Months Ago.

And thus, the fastidious, impeccable, precocious young girl became the charming, yet docile, woman she is today by spending a life time of love, time, and money on creating the biggest weapons empire in the world. Elsie's slender fingers typed out the last line of her book on her Macintosh that had taken such a long time, estimated to be 3 and a half long, meticulous years, to complete. The thin blond-hair blue-eyed ivory skinned girl leaned back in her thin office chair in her studio loft a she stared at the blinking line that had started, continued, and completed....her beloved project. The story was about a young girl who spent her life dreaming of owning the world's largest weapons empire in the world. Many would not understand, but this was a story of betrayal, lust, treachery, and fear. The woman became docile, despite her line of business, and ended up married with four male children who'd later take her empire and make it stronger. Elsie saved the file, opened up her email and tapped in the email address of every publisher in the United States and hit send.

Present Day

Elsie Marvinny walked down the sidewalks of upper Manhattan with her Chanel handbag, black Dolce and Gabbana overcoat, Jimmy Chou shoes, and black pants. She was absolutely peeved. How could she do that, thought the angry girl. Her best friend since high school had just told her that her book was rubbish. Yeah, it might be controversial. But from the opinions of strangers who loved her book, it was amazing. Elsie was on her way back to her new loft in upper Manhattan, after she'd moved from Albany. The thin girl let out a frustrated yell as she walked closer to her home. Curious heads turned towards her outburst but then turned away, ignoring it. Oh, when she got home, she was going to let. Her. Have it.

Taking a right and stomping up the stone steps on the stoop of her building, she pulled out her keys from her handbag and shoved them into the key hole, turning and unlocking the door as she slammed it behind her upon entering. The doorman tried to greet her but she put her hand up. "Not now, Charles!" said Elsie bitterly as she slammed her index finger into the 'up' button on the elevator. The gold-colored doors slid open and she stepped inside, repeatedly pressing the 23rd floor's button. With a huff, the doors closed and she leaned against the wall of the elevator, terribly upset. Her friend supported her emotionally through the entire process, and now this! What a traitor! She lets her read the book, hoping that she'd understand and love it, and then this. She sells her short by saying it's awfully written and she doesn't understand it. With a mind like that, of course she wouldn't!

The doors slid open to reveal her large scale loft at the top floor of the building she walked in and threw her bag onto the table that sat by the elevator door and she threw herself onto the couch. She screamed in frustration, kicking her shoes off towards the ceiling, watching as the heel spiked itself into the tiles. Her eyes widened and then she whined. How could her best friend say something like that? The words ran like a frozen river through her mind. 'I dunno, Elsie. I just don't get it. What's the point? Plus, it's written awfully. I'm sorry, but I have to be honest. I really just don't get it. Sorry. Sorry? SORRY!? No amount of sorrow would ever make it okay to dis her book like that! And Elsie thought she could call Melanie her friend. Elsie shook her head, running her hands through her hair.

With a frustrated sigh, she picked up her phone and dialed the familiar number. "Hello, Melanie." she said her name as if it were acid on her tongue. "Oh don't give me that! How could you think it was possibly okay to say something like that to me!? I thought you'd understand! I'd much rather had preferred it if you stabbed me in the back and turned the knife." Elsie hissed into the receiver. She narrowed her eyes as she listened to her ex..best friend. "I don't care. No matter how many times you say sorry I will never forgive you." said the immensely pissed off Elsie as she hung up the phone and threw it into the couch across from her.

One Hour Later

After an hour of crying and bawling her eyes out, Elsie felt better. Okay, it was just her best friend. She didn't care what everyone else said. She cared a lot about what Melanie says. The thing is, Melanie was her best friend. Her only best friend. The puffy-eyed girl picked up her phone and dialed that same numbed. "Oh Melanie, I'm so sorry. Forgive me for what I said. I'm so sorry." she said into the black phone's receiver. A relieved voice came from the other side and Elsie's smile returned. "That's great. Would you mind coming over for a glass of wine and maybe a movie?" she asked her friend. "Great! Alright, see you then. Buh-bye." Elsie hang up the phone and rushed around her loft, preparing for the arrival of her best friend.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 7, 2010 18:24:49 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Miharu - Well written, and I like the length. I also like the time progression. You had good emotional depth in it. You could have done more with the description of where she lived, since that's where most of it took place. Also, a book about that would be quite controversial, wouldn't it, lol? Anyway, other than the lack of description on her apartment, the only other thing I have to suggest is to keep in mind that you should try and variate how many times you use her name or she. Use like "the blue eyed young woman" or "the brunette" or something like that. All in all, though , good job. ACCEPTED

Takeshi's Prompt - Your little sister, who is between the ages of 12 and 14, is dating a much older man, who is at least 23. She claims that they are in love, and you are sure that this is not true. You are sure that he only wants her for her looks, and she tells you that they are going to take their relationship to the "next level." She has not told your parents yet, and you're afraid of what might happen. What are you going to do? Do you tell your parents or keep it a secret? How do you feel? Remember, no other characters but the one, and dig deep into their pshyce.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 7, 2010 20:01:06 GMT -6
takeshishuhan
Jun 8, 2010 19:51:28 GMT -6

Post by takeshishuhan on Jun 8, 2010 19:51:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I hope this is good, but if not I'd be willing to work on it till I get it right.

Takeshi was in his favorite spot; a rocking clearing about two miles outside the village. It was a great place to practice fire bending in peace. Of course, this time he had come here to think instead of train. Apparently, his sister had been drugged into thinking that her ‘boyfriend’ was in love with her. The guy was 23, and he definitely did not have love on his mind. Takeshi knew the type of guy this was; just last week he had seen the guy walking around town with another woman around his arms, but his stupid sister had said it was an emissary from the mainland. While that might have been true, he had definitely done more than show her the town.

Takeshi didn’t see any way for his sister to see sense, and going to his parents wouldn’t help. All his dad would do was say, is that she was old enough to take care of herself. His mom would say the same thing, but at least make it sound smart. His older brothers were both away in the army, and they wouldn’t care anyway. Was Takeshi the only one who cared about his sister’s well-being?

Takeshi thought of his two best friends, Kazuma and Aiko. Kazuma would say that they should just beat the crap out of the guy, while Aiko would come up with some smart plan to get them to break up.

Of course! Takeshi thought, all he had to do was talk to Aiko, she would come up with a good plan, and then that’s that, his sister wouldn’t be involved with that man ever again. Takeshi started running back towards town, feeling more optimistic about the situation.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 8, 2010 20:36:32 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Takeshi - Toph and I found that this post, while technically fine, was a bit... shallow. It doesn't have the depth that we like to see. The first half of your post is rehashing your prompt, which does have to be done to a certain extent, but majority of your post should be your feelings towards the situation, wrapped in with the questions we ask. You say what you're going to do, and like I said, not enough of what you feel. As for the second question, it asks whether or not you plan to tell your parents, which assumes that you haven't told them yet. Also, the opening post says no OOC's for any reason. I'm sorry, but you do need to edit your post to reflect these things before we can accept it. DENIED
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 8, 2010 20:37:03 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jun 12, 2010 23:13:46 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kokejin - You wake up and find yourself in the middle of nowhere. Your town is nowhere in sight, and nor is anyone or anything else for that matter. You have no idea how you got here, all means of communicating with anyone who might help you are gone, and no one is coming down this road. How do you feel? What do you do? What do your senses pick up? No godmoding. Only thoughts, feelings, and sensory reactions.
This user is Mod
etsuko
Jun 13, 2010 0:25:45 GMT -6

Post by etsuko on Jun 13, 2010 0:25:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kokejin's RP Sample

The leaves rustled in the wind as it howled against my window panes. Curtains flapped violently and a flash of light caused me to shiver under the covers, waiting for the roar of thunder to fade away. Trees were swaying violently and doors were slammed shut one after another. Memories, thoughts and all sorts of emotions whirred through my mind, disturbing me with their complexity. I tossed and turned in bed, trying to shrug them off. Voices, whispers… Why can’t they just leave me alone? The house quivered in its power as the wind continued to moan. Someone’s wind chimes were tinkling and the melody sounded so familiar… But it was not comforting in any way. I grabbed a pillow and tried to block out the sounds, but the more I tried to isolate myself, the worse it got.

She’s always so caught up in her own world..

You! Come back here!”

I awoke abruptly, feeling droplets of perspiration trickling down the side of my face and down onto my shirt. I sat there, breathing heavily as my heart pounded in my ears and I felt a chill at my feet. It was night time, and the temperature must have dropped for it was cold. I shivered as my frantic heart began to slow its pace, and I surveyed the area. Strange, how did I get out here? I stood up carefully, using my arms to support me, when I noticed that I was standing on the road. Confusion seeped into my mind as questions popped out of nowhere. My palms grew sweaty as I walked around, not seeing anyone in sight. Where am I? What happened? Why am I alone?

I wrapped my arms around my chest to keep myself warm as I continued to search for people. “Is anyone there? Please, someone, anyone?” I called out, my throat feeling dry and parched from the cold air. I swallowed hard and bit my tongue. My calls reverberated in the night, echo after echo. But no one was there. I felt hopeless and my spirits began to sink and I leaned against a lamp post. I gazed up into the dark velvet sky that was littered with stars, and my vision began to blur. A lump had formed in my throat, and it was impossible to hold them back now. I thought of my family, and the townspeople. The early morning scent of dew on the waxy leaves, the sounds of children running up and down the pavement, the warmth of the evening sun on my face, bathing the whole town in a conflagration of orange and red… Will I ever return?

I raised a hand to wipe the tears away when the sound of rustling bushes startled me. The air was still, and there was no wind at all, so how can there be such a sound unless…

Fear struck me as my heart hammered in my chest. My face was flushed as adrenaline pumped throughout my entire body. Flee, or fight? I knew it was dangerous, my mind kept telling me that it would be stupid to find out the origin behind that sound, but I went ahead. Every step was slow and deliberate as I did not want to alert the creature or person. My senses were heightened, everything from my vision to my sense of smell. But nothing could overpower the sound of my beating heart. Its bass rhythm was like music, it kept me going.

The rustling came again. I whipped my head in the opposite direction, and saw a laurel bush with its leaves shaking and shivering in the still night. I blinked twice to make sure that it was not my imagination. And there it was. I made my way to it slowly, when I suddenly stepped on a piece of gravel that made a loud crunching sound. The rustling stopped. I could hear my heart so clearly now. Blood rushed to my head as I stood still, looking around anxiously in all directions when I caught sight of a dark trail that seemed to lead into the forest. I bent down and looked at it carefully, placing my finger into the unknown substance. When I withdrew it, crimson red blood stained my fingers as the small drop slid down my index finger. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing came out.

It seemed as if my heart knew its last moments have come. It began to beat wildly, more so than ever and my mind froze time, not knowing how many seconds or minutes have passed. A ringing sound filled my ears. Must be the sound of the school bell. What lesson did we have? Is it over? Are we released from school?

Can I go home now?

This user is a guest
Last edit by yuna: Jun 13, 2010 0:26:10 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jun 13, 2010 0:47:00 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kokejin - I must say, I am impressed. I remember where you were at when you were here last time, and you are miles better now. I could hardly tell that English isn't your first langugae.

Even though the post was in first person - which was annoying, to be honest - it was still good. I liked the way you ended it, nice and dark. I mean, this prompt is a bit difficult to find a happy ending out of, but still. Just so that you know, we don't allow first person anymore. No one ever used it. Besides, Toph and I agree that your post would have flowed much better in third person.

Just keep that in mind - along with varying the use of the character's name and she with like "the Waterbender" or "the brunette" or the "amber-eyed girl" or something like that - and you'll be just fine. ACCEPTED
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 13, 2010 0:47:24 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jun 27, 2010 20:52:47 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kuruk's Prompt - You just went through the most disappointing time of your life. You pick the event. Describe your feelings and thoughts. How you are going to deal with the situation? Remember, dig deep into your character's pshyce; don't just scratch the surface. Also, no other characters but the one.
This user is Mod
kuruk
Jun 30, 2010 3:00:32 GMT -6

Post by kuruk on Jun 30, 2010 3:00:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kuruk's RP Sample:

Failure... That was the only word that Kuruk could think of as he lay on his small single bed, his legs overhanging the edge as he stared blankly at his light blue ceiling. The fan was spinning slowly as it made a strange squeaking sound, normally it annoyed him, a lot, but he paid no attention to it as he clench his right hand tightly into a fist. The scrunching sound of paper being crushed into a ball play softly in the bedroom as he grit his teeth and threw it with all his might from his current position, the paper flying awkwardly in the air as it bounced off his small mirror across the floor, causing it to shake steadily for a few moments as the paper hit the floor quietly and rolled for a couple of seconds before stopping.

Kuruk sighed heavily as he placed his hands behind his head and clasped them together, thinking about what he could possibly do now. All his dreams and prospects for the future exploded with that letter. Everything he had possibly wanted for himself in life was gone, vanished like it never existed. He had it within his grasp and lost it. He blinked twice in rapid succession as a tear escaped his eyes and caressed slowly across his face as a small sob escaped his body. He needed time to think, time to plan for his new unknown future. The letter he had scrunched up early stuck in his head as the giant red F stood out like a skyscraper in a suburban street.

Kuruk rolled off his bed, as he grabbed his coat from his messy floor. Books, paper and clothes scattered across the small bedroom floor as he trod gently over to his flimsy wooden door, picking up the piece of scrunched up paper and putting it in his pocket as he flung the coat around his body. He walked quickly down the hallway as the television was heard through the wall, a football game was on. You wouldn’t need 2 guesses to know who was watching sport as he looked down at the cream tiled floor that shun brightly under the hallway lights and made his way to the large, solid wooden door with a glass panel in the centre.

Kuruk turned the door knob slowly and quietly as the door lock clicked and began to move as he pulled it towards him. He inhaled gently as the cool fresh air hit his face and he smiled almost sarcastically, opening the door just enough for him to squeeze out and closed it quietly behind him. Once outside, he breathed a sigh of relief as he looked around his street. It was a normal street, houses lining up and down as cars were parked in driveways or on the street in front of their houses, but as he looked down the street he saw his target, a small park with a swing set as he looked around quickly and put his hood over his head placing his hands in his pocket as he hastily walked towards the park.

Kuruk seemingly glided across the uneven footpath as he looked down at his feet. He heard a few cars passing him going either direction but paid them no attention as he reached the tiny clearing between 2 moderately sized houses and followed the narrow path to the swings, sitting down quietly as he rocked slowly back and forth. He pulled the piece of paper out of his pocket and opened it up, trying to straighten out the crease marks as the first words that caught his attention were “...your application has been denied.” This caused another tear to return to his eyes as he began shaking slightly with anger, but he had no one to blame but himself.

Kuruk began back reading as he started from the top, “We are sorry to inform you that your application has been den-“That was it! He had read enough. Kuruk squeezed the piece of paper tightly with both hands and pulled them in opposite direction with as much force as his arms could muster, the paper tearing vertically into 2 uneven strips as he put his hands back together and ripped the small piece of paper again. Tears streaming down his face as he threw the 4 uneven pieces of paper in front of him. They glided gently due to the soft breeze as he looked up at the cloud ridden sky. The different colours painting a beautiful canvas as the clouds raced across the sky, forever changing shapes and sizes as they looked like a large pack of ice.

Kuruk felt a stiff breeze begin to blow as he zipped up his coat and wiped his eyes, the sun was setting as the sky majestically placed different colours amongst the cloud and dark blue backdrop that was rapidly changing due to the fading light. Kuruk used his collar to wipe the tears from his face as he stood up and began walking home, street lights clicking on as we walked rather slowly back home. His feet seemingly dragging along the floor as if he was moving in slow motion. He didn’t know what to do anymore, he had let everyone down, and he had failed. He was a disappointment.... And that was the cold, hard truth. He had no more future planned as the reality seemed to sink in on this cool evening.

Kuruk stopped out front of his house and examined it. The front curtains closed as they seemed to brighten and darken every few moments, obviously from the television light. The curtains near the dining room table lit up as he saw a small silhouette walking around quickly, forwards and backwards. He recognized it immediately.... “Dinner must be ready.” He thought to himself as he took in a deep and calming breathe before walking forward ever so slightly, his steps seemingly growing smaller and smaller as he knew what he had to do. He had to tell his parents the truth; they would have been expecting it much sooner had he not snuck outside. “There’s no way around it.” He kept telling himself... “I have to tell them.” He repeated in his head, over and over.

Kuruk reached the front door as he twisted the door knob and pushed the door forward. The warm gentle air inside hitting him like a slap in the face as he walked inside and looked around. One side of the house was dimly lit as he saw the football game nearing an end, as the other side was completely lit and a warm dinner laid waiting on the table. He heard a rumbling sound in the kitchen as he closed the front door softly and swallowed deeply and loudly. He had to tell them, he didn’t have a choice. He only wished for the best, whatever that may be and walked towards the kitchen quietly, thinking about what to say.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 30, 2010 12:47:00 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kuruk - At face value, the post is good. It's fairly well written, although there are a couple of problems. You use your character's name and he/him a lot. You should try other ways of describig him - "the brunet", "the waterbender", "the young man" etc... Also, if a number is small, ie. like two or three words, it should be spelled out - ie, two, twenty-two not 2 and 22. If it had just been this, we probably would have accepted your app anyway, on probation. However, you missed the mark of your prompt completely.

You got the disappointment thing down very well, but the question - which should have been the basis of your post - was how are you going to deal with it. Even if it had only been a small part, we might have accepted it anyway, but you weren't clear on exactly what happened, just that an application was denied. What kind of application? How is he going to deal with it? This means Is he going to try again next year? Take a diffrent path? Those kind of things.

For now, your sample is DENIED. You need to fix these things in your post before we can let you move on.

Saiki's Prompt - You are a Princess, and only child of your father, the King. One day, both of your parents are brutally murdered, leaving you, their only heir, the new Queen. However, as the law says, only a man may take the throne unwed. If you don't marry within thirty days, your claim to the throne is forfeit, and the throne goes to your cousin, a cruel tyrant. What do you do? How do you feel? Remember, no godmoding, only what your character thinks and your character actions. Delve into your character, don't just scratch the surface.

Tian Shinta's Prompt - You are misunderstood. Nobody likes you. In fact, a group of people go out of their way to make your life miserable. You hate the world. Someone comes along and offers you a way out. What do you do? What are you thinking? How do you feel? Remember not to godmod, use only the one character and delve into your character. Do not just scratch the surface.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 1, 2010 13:38:57 GMT -6
saiki
Jul 1, 2010 21:02:10 GMT -6

Post by saiki on Jul 1, 2010 21:02:10 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Saiki's Role-Play Sample

In the distance she could see the knife, sense its presence, and feel it as it entered their bodies. She cringed in utter despair and felt the precipitation building up in her somber eyes. Looking off she could see the flaxen hair of both individuals stained and tainted with the fluid that once kept them alive and thriving. Her fingers began to tremble and in an instant she felt almost faint. Trying to keep the strength in her legs she held her limp body up and ran as fast as she could. Her panting was almost feral; rough and coarse like an animal fleeing from danger. She did not actually know what she was doing, but for now her actions felt unmistaken.

Approaching the bodies she could not help but collapse on the solid cold ground. Her body crashed gracefully among the both of them and her face lay hidden beneath their clothes and limbs. She ached in every inch of her body and she did not know what to do. Lifting her head she turned the faces of the dead bodies upward facing the sky. It was in an instant that she knew who both individuals were. With a tear delicately dripping down her face she stared into the eyes of both her father and mother. Their faces were expressionless, but their eyes held the horror of their last moments of life.

Waking in a cold sweat Katrina stumbled out of her bed. Without realizing her surroundings she reached out for something to grab onto, but missed the chair placed a small distance away from her bed. Feeling as her body hit the stone floor she almost could not believe that she had been dreaming. Of course it was no dream; it was a nightmare, and one she had often. Before being able to regain any type of composure she pulled her legs together and held them against her chest. Breathing heavily she allowed her body to shake and tremor the way it normally did for the past weeks. No matter how many times she tried to deny the traumatic truth, she knew well enough that her parents were dead: murdered in cold blood.

Standing up the green eyed beauty looked to her window and noticed that the sun had begun to rise. Rubbing her left elbow she walked over and leaned her hot and shaken body on the cool glass. Staring off into the distance she surveyed her country. To the east she could see the vast number of rolling hills that engulfed most of the land, and to the west she spotted a tremendous river teeming with aquatic life. The sky was a light pink and orange and it calmed her to know that the sun’s warmth was soon to appear. For so long her body felt cold and she knew that being under the sun’s rays made her feel much better. Raising her hand to her rosy cheeks she wiped away the tears that began to collect. Not too long ago this land had belonged to her parents, but now it’s future rest in her hands; her fragile and inexperienced hands.

Turning back toward her bed she walked with a slow gait retrieving thoughts and ideas that were viciously racing through her mind. The predicament in which she found herself was not one she could easily fix. For one, she was an only child, the only heir to a powerful throne. Her mother had given life to only a daughter and cursed the fate of her kingdom. With no proper heir to the throne, Katrina was left to save it herself. Closing her eyes and turning her hands into fists she let out an enraged grunt. Why was it up to her to find a fix for everything in just thirty days? Why didn’t she have a brother who could take the throne? Why was she only fifteen and not married? It made her frustrated to the point that she realized she had almost cut her palms as she released her fingers from her balled fists. Dropping to her bed she held her head in her hands and rubbed her temples. Her stomach felt as if it was going to flip and she knew why she had felt sick so suddenly.

“Edward,” she maliciously hissed underneath her breath. Her head once again felt hot and the blond haired girl could feel a wave of hatred wash over her. Edward was her cousin, and not just any cousin, he was a ruthful tyrant of his lands. He destroyed the lives of his people on a daily basis, and ruled his kingdom with an abusive authority. Ever since childhood she knew he’d grow to be a power-hungry oppressor. As she moved her head to rest against her bedpost she immediately recounted the scene from the chamber only a day ago.

She had been told that she only had a week to marry before her chances of ruling her kingdom were completely thwarted by Edward. It put her in a state of panic and utter misery. How was she, a girl of fifteen, going to handle being rushed into a marriage? She knew well that it happened to many noble daughters, but the princess thought her life would be different. Ever since she was growing up her parents had always been there to protect her and made sure her best interests were at hand. But now orphaned at a young age, the young princess knew not how she would deal with an arranged marriage. Of course it was either that or forfeit the kingdom over to Edward. She decided she would honestly rather die than see him rule while she was still alive and breathing.

Katrina felt almost helpless as she thought of her potential suitor; Charles Duke of Faineful. He was the only other person capable of marrying the princess. He was of a high noble rank and his wife had unfortunately, and yet luckily, died five years ago. His pedigree was of the greatest esteem and if Katrina had any chance of keeping the kingdom out of Edward’s filthy hands, it was by marrying Charles. The only problem of course was that he was fifty-five, nearly forty years older than Katrina. The thought of marriage made her feel sick and she held her stomach as it ached in pain once again. How could she marry someone so old? She knew that having his children would be expected of her and the image made her spontaneously burst into tears. The thought itself filled her with grief and complete disgust. Was there no way she could escape this inevitable fate?

Then of course there was Jacob, the boy who made her heart ache as she thought of her wretched future. She had known him as a young girl growing up. He was a peasant boy, one who worked the lands her family ruled, and one who was humble, kind, and charming. As a young child she would escape from the palace and secretly meet with him in the beautiful apple orchards her kingdom was well known for. There they would share their most intimate secrets and flirt innocently. Of course Jacob was a true gentleman and Katrina knew that he would never be capable of pursuing her. Despite this however, she knew he was the one she would want to spend the rest of her life with, the one she wanted to marry and begin a family with.

With this in mind she couldn’t control the convulsions of her body. Never in her life had she been so consumed by pain and horror. There was no way to fix her situation. There was no way she could end up happy and live the remainder of her life enjoyably. Although she knew she could easily run away with Jacob, her duty was to her kingdom. There was no way she could run away from her people, and there was definitely no chance that the throne was going to become Edwards. Slowly she lifted her hand to her heart and let it rest there for a fraction of a second. She promised herself that she would forever love Jacob, but her responsibility was first to her people, not to herself.

Waiting as her maids entered the room, she stood while they quickly undressed her, put on her corset and gown, and assembled her hair the way it normally looked every day. Watching as they left the room she closed her eyes and drew in a few breaths of cool air from her surroundings. Placing her hands on top of one another, she rested them in front of her and walked through the narrow hallway. In a few moments the beauty was to reveal her decision to marry Charles, a decision that was to ruin her life forever. “Good bye life,” she regretfully whispered; and with that she locked her heart and hopes away in her mind and allowed herself to become what her kingdom desperately needed…their queen.
This user is a guest
Last edit by yuna: Jul 1, 2010 21:51:01 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 1, 2010 23:07:23 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Saiki - Overall, your post was very well written. You captured the emotions of the situation perfectly. I do have one annoyance, though, and that was that you said that she had been given a week to marry, when I said that it was 30 days, and you even said that was 30 days earlier in the post. Be careful about things like that, as getting something wrong in an RP post could mess something up. You also want to make sure that you don't misunderstand anyone - whether staff or regular member. :) Other than that, beautiful post. ACCEPTED, on the condition that you read a tad more carefully. ;)
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 6, 2010 8:42:10 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Prompts
[/center]

Anyu -[/b] You are an All-A Student at your school, and always get the highest grades. However, on a test you studied very hard for on your best subject, you get it back only to find out that you got a failing grade! The teacher assures you that it's correct. What do you say? What do you? How do you feel? No godmoding; no controlling of any other character but your own. Only the one character. Don't sell yourself short. Delve deep into your character; don't just scratch the surface.

Malta - Your life is going swimmingly. You go to a good school where you're liked, have a girlfriend you adore and who adores you, friends who support you and care about you, a nice house, and a good, comfortable life. Then, all of a sudden, your parents announced that one of them has lost their job. So, in order to get a better job, they're moving, taking you with them and away from everything you know and love to live with your father's sister, who's willing to help you guys out, since one of your parents alone cannot support your whole family, and there are no available jobs in the area. What are you thinking? What do you feel? What do you want to do? No godmoding; no controlling of any other character but your own. Only the one character. Don't sell yourself short. Delve deep into your character; don't just scratch the surface.

Hazuki - You feel like you're being followed. Even though every time you turn around, there's no one there, you keep have this sneaking suspicion that you're being followed so much to the point that you would bet your life on it. Yet, there seems to be no one on there. Are you just paranoid or is there really someone following you that is just really good at hiding themselves from your line of sight? If so, why do you think they would be following you? If not, why are you paranoid? Keep your post to mostly sensory reactions (sight, smell, taste, touch, hear) and thoughts/feelings. No use of any other character but your own. In other words, no godmoding. Dig deep into your character, don't just scratch the surface.
This user is Mod
malta
Jul 6, 2010 10:23:08 GMT -6

Post by malta on Jul 6, 2010 10:23:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Malta's RP Sample:

He just heard the news that he would be moving away. Malta didn't understand it, nothing like this had happened before in his life. His mouth tried to open, his mind tried to form an argument, but nothing would come out. Even if he did think of something to say, it wouldn't help, his parents sounded adamant moving away. Instead of staying to listen to what his parents had to say, he decided to leave for a little while. "I'm going out. I need to clear my head," then he got up and walked out the door.

The setting sun created an orange sky above him as he walked through his familiar town. Even a menial task like this seemed to be of great importance, now that he had learned that it would all be gone. Following one of the thousands of routes engraved into his brain, Malta found his way to a park. Finding a bench, he quickly let his weight drop into it. A loud creak came from the bench once he sat on it. Must be an old, he thought, as he his head in his hand and started rubbing his forehead.

He quickly tried to think of something he could do, something that would allow him to stay here. "What if I got a job?" he asked himself. Then he realized that if his parents couldn't get a job then there was no way he could. "Maybe I could talk to the boss," the idea almost made sense, until he figured out that if that boss fired one of his parents, their son wouldn't be a good enough reason to rehire. All he could do was sit there and thing of ideas, each more insane than the last. Giving up on anything resembling a good idea, he got up and looked around the park. It was the same one that he and his friends had played in. The same one where he got his first kiss.

Feverishly shaking his memories out of his head, he started to walk again. Instinctively he followed another engraved route. This one didn't lead him home, instead he stopped and looked up at a house. This was the house of his girlfriend. He almost wanted to rush right in and ask if he could live with her, but he knew her parents wouldn't allow it. Continuing down the path in his mind, he made his way back home, as the sky turned a dark twilight. Before his parents could even say anything to him, Malta said, "I'm going to bed now," and went straight to his room.

The night was almost sleepless for him. If he wasn't laying awake thinking about telling his friends, or about losing everything, than he was tossing and turning in the mist of nightmares. The strange thing was that his dreams were all the same. Each time he would be going about his day until he slowly started to shrink before he dissipated into nothing. The dream made no sense to him at all, but it continued into the whole night.

The next day, Malta awoke, groggy from the night of no sleep. He made his way to school, another trip he knew all too well, before meeting up with his friends. At first it was business as usual, until he could no longer hold it in him. "Hey guys, I got some bad news. I'm going to have to move away soon." He knew a flurry of 'What?' and 'why?' would quickly follow, so before any of his friends could say anything he continued. "We're moving to my aunt's house because we can't live off of just one of my parent’s salaries. Unless one of your folks needs a coworker," he tried to laugh the situation off, but he knew it was a long shot. The rest of his day felt dark and gloomy. Before he started to make his way home, he said goodbye to his friends, something he use to do every day, but today it felt like it would be the last time.
This user is a guest
Last edit by yuna: Jul 6, 2010 10:26:03 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 6, 2010 10:39:18 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Malta - I noticed some grammar issues - run-on sentences, punctuation errors, things like that. For instance, the first paragraph -

Malta didn't understand it. nothing like this had happened before in his life. <—- should be it; nothing or it. Nothing

Even if he did think of something to say, it wouldn't help, his parents sounded adamant moving away. <—— same as above. help; his or help. His

"I'm going out. I need to clear my head," then he got up and walked out the door. <—- should be head." He

There's more in the following paragraphs, but that's generally what I saw. Also, there's a lot of "he" and "his". You should try different variations instead of just using "he", "his" and your character's name. For instance, "the waterbender", "the brunet", "the blue-eyed man", or "the young man", things like that.

Overall, your post is not bad at all. The post was fine, although I will say you could have used more emotion. I got the idea of what your character was feeling, but try really getting into your character's head. :) Providing that you keep these things in mind, your post is ACCEPTED.
This user is Mod