The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

RPing: Then and Now

Post by Gia on Aug 16, 2010 20:39:10 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
This thread is meant for more experienced RPers, but if you're newer and can still use it, then fine. This is to show how you've changed since you first started RPing. Basically, just post something from then, and then a more recent post to show how far you've come. Neither of your posts have to be from TARP, but if you can't prove that the account your post is from is yours (ie, different e-mails), then don't post it, because it will be removed. Comments are fine, but please, try and post your own examples if you're going to comment on other people's.

New members, please don't take offense to anything in this thread. Everyone has to start somewhere. This is how that everyone starts somewhere.

TARP was not my first RP site, but I'd only realized what RP was about a year before. This is from early on in TARP:

Dated October 30, 2005 4:30 PM CST. Link.
Karena started coughing from all the smoke, and put her hands up to shield herself from whatever Zuko was going to do, trying to see through the smoke.

Character Count: 152

Gia Avatar
Village near Sabaku

Karena had just been there with Aang, sometimes stroking his shoulder or his forehead, when she heard someone come in the room, and speak to her. Looking up, there was Xiaoyu, Haru’s older sister. The woman seemed certain that something had happened to her brother. The Firebender wasn’t sure how the other woman could possibly know that, but then again, they were siblings. She had heard about unusual connections between twins. It was possibly that, since they were so close, that they, too, shared this connection. It seemed a bit unusual to her, but Xiaoyu was worried, nevertheless. She wasn’t the only one. The young mother was concerned about Zuko, who was there, as well. The dark-haired woman reminded herself that her fiancé was a very skilled Firebender, and would be able to take care of himself just fine.

Motioning for Xiaoyu to come over, Karena gestured to the bed next to her. She wasn’t sure whose it was, most likely it belonged to Katara. The Waterbender would have wanted to be as close as she could to Aang, of course. Once the other woman had sat down, the brown-eyed young woman gave her a confronting smile. “I would tell you not to worry about it, but that would be stupid,” the Firebender told her. “I’m worrying about Zuko constantly, but, that’s beside the point.” She looked at her for a moment, before continuing. “Even if something has happened to Haru, Lakano’s there, remember? Trust me, I don’t think he will let anything happen to him.” A lover’s wrath could be fierce. If anything happened to Zuko, there was no telling what she would to avenge him – not that anything serious had happened to Haru, of course.

This was not the way things should be. Karena should be out there, fighting! She was a warrior. Glancing back to Aang, she squeezed the young man’s shoulder. You’re not just a warrior anymore, are you? the young woman told herself. Things are going to be dangerous. If something happens to Zuko, you have to raise your son alone. That thought caused her a lot of pain, but it was true. What are you supposed to do, go into battle so that you both have a chance of getting killed? It was a troubling thought, but a true one. She wouldn’t be able to go into battle anymore, would she? Her fighting days were over. The Firebender would train, of course, as she still wanted to be a Master one day, but… no matter battles, no more fights for her. She needed to stay safe, for her son, for little Nikuro. She had no idea how much her life would change by having a baby.

Karena hated admitting that her mother had been right all along, but facts were facts. She should have listened more. The Firebender remembered that Aang was awake, and she had not introduced him and Xiaoyu. How rude of her. “I don’t think you two have met,” she said aloud. “Aang, this is Xiaoyu, Haru’s older sister. Xiaoyu, this is Aang.” Oh, how wished that this night would go by faster. She wanted Zuko back with her. Of course, them coming back meant that they were off to the Fire Nation, where all but a few were wanted people. It would make things much more complicated. It would not be easy, but it was what needed to be done. Ozai and Azula needed to be taken down. What was that saying? Doing the right thing wasn’t always easy. Boy, wasn’t that the truth. The young woman took a deep breath. Right now, all she wanted was for Zuko to come back. Everything else could wait. Of course, she was going to stay with Aang as long as he wanted her there.

Speaking of Aang, the young man was still laying on his side, facing both Karena and Xiaoyu. He said how everything was his fault – Nikuro being stolen, Haru being injured, everything. If anything bad happened at Sabaku, that was his fault, too, for being injured, being unconscious for a week and a half, and for not being there. Looking back at him, the Firebender gave him a comforting smile. “Aang, none of this is your fault,” the young woman told him. “This is all Azula’s fault. My baby being stolen, you being injured… that’s all Azula’s fault, not yours. Things will happen whether we want them to or not.” Reaching her hand back, the Firebender laid it on the young Avatar’s shoulder, giving it a slight rub. “It’s not your fault, so don’t think for a second that it is. Just wait for Katara to get back so she can look at your back, and then concentrate and letting your back get better. Oh, and yes, the world thinking you’re dead is a good thing because no one will see you coming.”

Pausing for a second, a thought crossed Karena’s mind. “Are you hungry? I can see if I can find something to eat.” The Firebender wondered why she was having to comfort everyone. It was true that she didn’t need comforting right now, cause she knew in her heart that no matter how worried she was about Zuko, that he would come back to her in one piece. Her fiancé was very skilled, and would be just fine. No one had to tell her that. I suppose it’s not so bad that I have to confront people, the young mother told herself. I guess it’s a good thing that I am capable of doing that, right? “Oh, and by the way, Aang, Zuko has agreed to teach you Firebending… when you’re better, of course. Oh, and he has… something to tell you, but it’s not my business to tell you that.”

The young woman paused again, as she wondered what Aang would think about having to learn Firebending. “Don’t worry about learning Firebending. It’s part of you are, and… you and I will be training together.”

Character Count: 5510 (and I've done better)

Yeah, I feel ashamed now looking back at the old post, I mean, really...

Edit: 2nd Longest Single Character Post on TARP - This is as Lakano, and while Shio may have the longest single character post, still... I have the character count already in it.

My Longest Single Character Post EVER - Again, the character count is already there, and while there is an NPC, still...

Edit: By single character, I don't mean, I mean one character - ie, Lakano or Karena, if you look at my first post. I consider my latter post a single character cause it was Stephen, not Stephen and Jack (another character of mine) but Stephen.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 16, 2010 22:11:10 GMT -6
trakada
Aug 16, 2010 21:19:55 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 16, 2010 21:19:55 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hmmm... I've been RPing for over eight years, starting out in the old Yahoo chat rooms (before Yahoo screwed it up >_<)

Unfortunately, I think most of my chat logs from back then were lost along with my previous computer... but let me go digging around and see what the oldest thing I can find is. Back then I would mainly RP in Lord of the Rings, "Nondescript Pseudo-Anime Fantasy Setting"- which was basically any RP room that didn't have a series name in the title, Digimon, and sometimes Star Wars.

I've certainly improved vastly, especially if you look at how horribly Mary Sue my first dozen or so RP personae were. *Heads off to search*
This user is a guest
suyami
Aug 16, 2010 21:22:31 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Aug 16, 2010 21:22:31 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Suyami saw the young boy with the older bender, but knew better than to talk to them. She walked past with her face turned toward the ground, thinking about how she could find her dinner, when she tripped over a potruding rock. She hissed in pain as she tried to get up from where she had fallen, tears coming to her eyes when she realized that these strangers were witnessing her humiliation.

^ first ever RP post...

"What is RPG?"

^ first EVER post.... >.<

Katara listened soberly to Karena's words and wondered if she agreed. Grief, turned to anger? A furrow knit her brow, and she bit her lip. Gran-Gran had always said that anger was never helpful; unless it was cold – then, it could be controlled. This sounded like hot anger, or something that could easily become that. Troubled with her own thoughts, Katara said nothing until Quan-Li interrupted their conversation. “Oh,” she murmured, nodding while he spoke to the firebender. She turned away slightly to give them some privacy, and tackled her now cold food with renewed appetite. It was funny, the more time she spent eating away from Sokka, the more her eating habits resembled his. She grinned into the diminished heap of rice and food. If Katara had let herself get any hungrier, she would've scarfed it down quicker than her brother.

The touch of her hand sent her gaze upwards into Karena's softened gaze. She listened to her friend's words, and smiled her response. “I'll try, Karena,” she said, ducking her head in respect to the older young woman. Katara's mouth curved in a smile at the firebender's heartfelt words. “I understand.” She knew that Karena would be there if she needed to talk, but it was nice to hear it. The sight of the young woman's retreating back was oddly reassuring – Katara knew that wherever Karena was going, she wouldn't go far. It was something she'd always had, a tightening in her gut whenever people turned to leave. Her parents had both left her in different ways – it only made sense that she had a bit of a paranoia about abandonment.

Katara looked up when Iroh walked in the room and announced the arrival of the Order. Her eyes flew open, and she straightened. Where were they? Quickly, she scooted her chair back and hurried to clear her place. When she came to the tall heap of dishes, she bit her lip and flushed in shame. For the life of her, she couldn't remember whose turn it was. Imagine the Order seeing this mess, she thought, chastising herself for leaving it untended. Practically forgetting that there were people waiting for her at the table, she quickly turned her back on the important people and nervously set to work washing the dishes. Using waterbending sped things up, but it still took a while to wash and dry the dishes. When she was done, she sheepishly turned back to where the Order still waited, chatting up the rest of the gang while she had been cleaning. There's no use hiding from these jitters. Everyone will be fine, she assured herself as she approached the group, even Aang...

Katara raised her eyes in time to catch her brother making a fool of himself once more. A small smile found its way to her face when he gave a thumbs up to the stoic... Master Pakku?!? Startled, her hands flew to her mouth to stifle a gasp. She snorted at Sokka's childish remark about their Gran Gran... and Master Pakku, now their grandfather. Her mouth opened to call the crotchety Master over, but before she could, Lakano cleared his throat and called for the room's attention. Blue eyes narrowed in amusement when Lakano's gaze fell on her grandfather, and he swore loudly. Oh, Master Pakku would love that. Katara had to hold back a giggle, until she realized that it could just as easily be her receiving the ice-cold glare of her former teacher. Sobered, she swallowed her laugh.

Most of what he said were things Katara was already vaguely aware of, but it was all reassuring to have confirmed. A river to the east, which was great news for her as a Master waterbender. Being in the desert, she had been a little worried that there wouldn't be a big enough body of water to be of a useable amount. The slight reassurance she had felt was hardened into resolve at Lakano's next words. Blue eyes turned to a stony gray, and her now-heavy hands fell at her hips, one loosely resting on the neck of her bending water flask. Tension ran through her in waves, spiking her pulse and making her straighten. Strategy talk, this was where she needed to listen, and keep her heart out of whatever it was he said. Though she had already heard the horrible things that had happened in Sabaku, it made her wince to hear about the rape and murder. But she could see that Lakano's techniques were working – people were taking it seriously.

Iroh spoke up, and Katara couldn't help but agree with the older man. Attacking at dusk would be much better for the waterbenders, and the majority of them were, in fact, waterbenders. The exchange between Pakku and Lakano had her gritting her teeth in intense discomfort and unhappiness. If only Lakano didn't dislike him so much... it saddened her, that the meeting had headed south so quickly. Lakano had gone too far, and Pakku wasn't letting it go. It was in neither of their personalities to let such slights go without challenging them, but Katara still felt like bashing her head into the heel of her palm. She knew Lakano still had insecurities about his bending. After teaching him, she knew that more than anyone – except maybe Pakku, if he had even an ounce of the sensitivity that she knew he had at his core. It was possible that his dislike for the waterbender overpowered that empathy, though. Katara sighed. Thankfully, Iroh stepped in and calmed things down. In fact, she herself could feel the tension leaking from her body and out the window as he spoke. A deep breath helped to center her once more.

Lakano and Iroh left the room to speak privately. Now was her chance to greet the old Master who had taught her to control her bending. Excitement lit her eyes, and she carefully made her way over to her new grandfather. Haru was chatting up the old man, so she waited (semi) patiently for an opportunity to step in. Finally, she could wait no longer. “Excuse me,” she said gently, “sorry to interrupt, but... Master Pakku!” she blurted, letting loose and enveloping the man in a hug. He would probably be rather surprised, but she didn't care – she missed home, and Gran Gran, and right now, he embodied all that. Not to mention the deep respect she had for him, and reluctant affection. “I've missed you,” she said, smiling and pulling back shyly. “Is Gran Gran okay?” she asked, trying to hide the gleam of amusement that lit her eyes when she thought of the two of them together. But thoughts of romance led her to Aang, and a flash of pain shot through her. Don't think about it, she chided herself, controlling the urge to go and check on her comatose friend. He's fine. “When Iroh said he would bring help, he should have said it would mean you,” she continued, laughing.

^From not too long ago. :3
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 16, 2010 21:27:19 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
FYI, the date on Suyami's first RP post: September 20, 2006. You've come a long way, I would say so. *nods* Your first RP post is longer than mine, but of course there was a character minimum (fyi 250 for those who weren't around) back then, and that didn't exist when I created the site.

Trakada - It would be interesting to see if you could dig something up. Based on what I know of chatroom RPs, I can imagine how bad those posts were.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 16, 2010 21:48:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 16, 2010 21:48:52 GMT -6

Re: Kyoshi Island
« Reply #1 on Oct 18, 2005, 9:19pm »

Kanea walked though the shores of Kyoshi Island for she wished to be alone for now untill she found out her next order. She had taken off her shoes so that she could feel the sand between her toes. A sigh escaped her lips for she was home sick, but she could only hope that soon her banishment would end soon with the death of the Fire Lord.

341 Ch. Count

That was the second RP post on TARP.

Now stay with me people, I have come a long way. This is a post that I am proud of, one of my most recent Kanea posts.

Kanea Avatar
Small Village Near Sabaku

Kanea did not like the way that Quan-Li was looking at her, the sadness in his eyes cut though her heart. She wished that he would never look that way at her again. With the look of regret in his eyes made her want to die. Was he truly sorry about his decision to be with her? Could it be that he did not want to be with her anymore? Just thinking about it made her want to run out of the room and not return, everyone be damned. Yet she would come back in time for the fight, she would not let Prince Zuko down no matter how many pieces of her heart was broken.

But what surprised her most was when he knelt down in front of Karena and apologized to her about something that had happened a long time ago. The young swordswoman had no idea about what they were talking about. Karena had yelled at him and slapped him? She wished that she could look away from him but of course she could not. The young woman could feel herself shaking slightly afraid that he would confirm her fears. The solemn look in his eyes made her heart stop for a moment out of pure fear, and she could feel her eyes starting to sting with tears that she knew that should never fall.

He asked her to take a walk with him and the way that he said to follow him made Kanea want to give in to her urge to run and never hear what he wanted to say. Of course she was a little light headed; she had not realized that she had been holding her breath the whole time. But she would not trust her voice to talk just yet. The dark haired woman took a shaky breath before nodding and stood up. It took all of her will power to stand up straight and follow Quan-Li, as she gently shut the door behind herself she wanted more then anything to get away from him. Running away from the truth was a horrible thing for her, and knowing that she had no honor to speak of as well.

She was banished, and could never see her family again. She was engaged to an Earth Bender of all things, and she had given herself to him willingly before they had even gotten a chance to be married. The way things were going chances were that one of them was not going to make it to the end of this war. Just thinking about it made her want to cry. For once in her life she did not care about ever going home, if only she could be with the man that she wanted to be with. But it seemed like that was not going to happen.

When Quan-Li started to say that Karena had been right all along she could not hold back the tears. They slowly ran down her cheeks, when he looked down at her and told her that he wanted to be with her. A deep feeling of relief washed though her, but the tears would not stop. At first she was crying because she thought that he was going to call off their engagement, but now she was crying because she was reassured that he still wanted her.

Kanea was not used to allowing anyone to see her cry so she buried her face in his broad chest. He was so solid that it was comforting just to be able to be close to him. She reached up with her arms so that she could rest her hands on his shoulders; she was shaking slightly from the effort of trying to stop crying. But it was so hard to do, she knew that after she was done crying that her eyes would be red and her face would look horrible.

Quan-Li wanted to get to know her; of course she had never talked much about her past because it was painful for her. And of course the Fire Nation had been a bane to him. He no longer had any family because of what her people had done. It did make her feel ashamed every time that she thought about it, but at least he did not hate her for it. She just realized that all they had done together these months was travel, fight, sleep, eat, and barely talk to each other.

They were engaged for crying out loud and they had never taken anytime to go out on a date or even go for a walk and talk while they were alone with each other. But it would have been hard for them to do; they were both tired from traveling and fighting. And they could never be alone because someone was always around, or they would be interrupted. And the last time that they were alone well, let’s just say that they did not do much talking. But it was understandable, the tension that had been building up for months and they had hardly had any physical interaction with each other. They hardly held hands or kissed because there was always someone around.

Slowly the tears started to subside when she heard him say something that had been at the back of her mind. One fear that she had dared not to even admit to herself, what is she was pregnant? He wanted for them to be together because they wanted to, and not because they had to. That just made her start crying again. He was such a great man, and she did not deserve to even be with him. For that matter she had no idea what he saw in her.

He is a Master Earth Bender, and she is not even much of a Fire Bender. In truth he is strong and she is weak, and he is so caring while she is cold most of the time. For one of the few times she could feel herself falling apart. The only thing that kept her on her feet was his hands on her arms.

“I was afraid, that you did not want to be with me anymore.” Kanea said in a slightly muffled voice. “I want to be with you too, Quan-Li. But I know that it will take time for us to really get to know each other. It just amazes me that you would want to be with me in the first place.”

The young woman could not say more because she dared not trust her voice. She had just laid a part of herself bare to him, and it made her feel like she was naked and vulnerable. If he laughed at her, she would break into a hundred pieces. The young woman had never felt so weak in all of her life. Was it because she was being honest with herself? Yes, and more importantly to a man that she really wanted to be with.

As soon as she heard Makaro’s voice she had to move, slowly she took her face out of Quan-Li’s chest and whipped away some stray tears. She wished that their time alone would have been longer, but they had to talk about the fight tomorrow. The young woman felt like crying some more, but of course she had to force her self to calm down quickly. Taking shallow breaths she nodded while still trying to gain complete control of herself. In a way it unnerved her to know that someone else would know that she had been crying.

Kanea turned her face towards Makaro and gave him a level look, she knew that her eyes would be a bit red but that could not be helped. They had no choice but to know what the plan was going to be. A part of her bristled, just the thought that everyone else will know that she had been crying just by looking at her face made her angry. They would see it as showing weakness, and she could not allow it. She forced herself not to even think about crying. She watched as Makaro left them going back to the room, a sigh escaped her lips.

“We will have to finish talking tomorrow, because…” Kanea told her tall lover, she could not finish her thought because they had been interrupted again. She gave him a half smile before turning away and walking back to the room. On the way there she forced herself back into being slightly detached from everyone. She was sure that Quan-Li would follow her, but for now she knew that they must focus on the events to come. They would have to wait, as always. In a way she was a little bitter, but she forced her emotions down because they were not important. What mattered right now was doing whatever was in their power to stop the Fire Nation.

7521 Ch. Count

And wow Karena, I kinda kicked your butt on the first post. But I still love you.
This user is a former member
Last edit: Aug 16, 2010 22:29:19 GMT -6
trakada
Aug 16, 2010 21:53:14 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 16, 2010 21:53:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Gia Avatar
Trakada - It would be interesting to see if you could dig something up. Based on what I know of chatroom RPs, I can imagine how bad those posts were.

XD
Yeah... just to give an example, my first RP character was "the last of his race," the rest of which had been hunted to extinction by demons. He was 6'5" with dark hair and his race never cast shadows, because their shadows were "inside" them. Yeah, it made sense at the time. :P

He had the power to manipulate shadows, and rode around on a giant gryphon made of shadows. He also had an ancient, one-of-a-kind demon killing sword that could open a portal that would suck in all demons in an area. You can only imagine the kind of ante-up godmodding matches he got into with characters that were actually playing demons.

And of course, considering my age at the time, he hit on anything that had a female-sounding username. Some people would accuse me of that to this day.. :P But I've come a long way from "Indiscriminate, Single-Minded Girlfriend Seeker" to "All-Around RPer That Tends to Play the Gallant."

Pretty much all of my characters were at least that ridiculous, if not moreso. Don't even get me started on my vampire phase....
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 16, 2010 22:05:52 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I have added two links, or will shortly, to show better how far I've come.

Trakada - Oh, wow, yeah, that is bad. I remember the days when I created horrible Mary Sue characters, though I'm not sure any of my characters were that bad.
This user is Mod
trakada
Aug 16, 2010 22:12:07 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 16, 2010 22:12:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Gia Avatar
I remember the days when I created horrible Mary Sue characters, though I'm not sure any of my characters were that bad.

:D

Never underestimate a young, insecure male's capacity to use internet roleplay as a wish-fulfilling power trip.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 16, 2010 22:16:14 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Believe me, I've known guys that do that. I once RPed with a guy who RPed as a tall, muscular good-looking guy (albeit dumb since the guy was a moron), and while I'm not positive what he was in RL, I know it wasn't that. At least my character creating abilities have stayed good, but I think that's from years of writing fanfics. :)
This user is Mod
trakada
Aug 16, 2010 22:21:40 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 16, 2010 22:21:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Yeah, I write a LOT of fiction- including but not limited to tabletop roleplaying game campaigns. It's done quite a bit to help me learn what makes an interesting character over the years, and TTRPGs in particular help you learn how to develop characters that work well in this format. You never want your NPCs to outshine the main player characters, so you get used to creating characters that have an interesting dynamic within the setting, but aren't the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

I was pretty big into fanfiction at one point as well, but actually, Avatar is the first series in years that inspired me enough to consider getting back into it. Which is part of the reason that I'm here. :)
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 16, 2010 22:24:13 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Trakada - *nods* Yep, I understand, although, I hate to have to do this, the conversation needs to stay on topic. We were talking about RPing, which was fine, but I'm afraid fanfiction doesn't apply. Feel free to IM or PM me if you want to respond about that, though. :)
This user is Mod
ayumi
Aug 16, 2010 22:31:23 GMT -6

Post by ayumi on Aug 16, 2010 22:31:23 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well...this makes me feel bad! Everyone started out waaaayyy better than me xP. Though I started on myspace as Kimiko who....was like a fire bender from a show called Xiaolin Showdown and I sometimes didn't even use description in my one-liners! But...well this isn't my largest post but its something to show how far I've come. I still have a long ways to go though >.<

flickeringsouls.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=town&action=display&thread=1570

Edit: Oh! I'm Crona.
This user is a guest
Last edit by ayumi: Aug 16, 2010 22:41:38 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 17, 2010 9:20:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 17, 2010 9:20:30 GMT -6

I knew this one guy that was a pain in the backside, and the sad thing is for every ch that he had I could point out what book or anime he got it from. Now that was sad, but also the fact that we were into the same things with out knowing it until he started to do that.
nemoknown
Aug 17, 2010 9:41:52 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 17, 2010 9:41:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I have come a long way, but I still have a long ways to go...

I started out with this:
hE punches at zack!

T.T Sad, right?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 17, 2010 9:55:21 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I am ashamed...

« Reply #6 on Jan 7, 2006, 6:54pm »
Katara raised an eyebrow. "Well, what do you want to talk about?" Kiishu was acting mighty strange....

{{ ooc;; OH. MY. GAWD. Massive post. 12,041 characters, totaling 2,096 words. Happy, Karena? :3 }}

Village with teh gAangzors

With a nod to Xiaoyu, the young firebender let himself be led away by the taller, stronger man. He ought to have known that Lakano wouldn't have missed the teary-eyed-ness, and Hatsuharu was kicking himself mentally for allowing himself to show that weakness. And there went the waterworks again! The hallway swam as his vision blurred with tears, and he hoped to whatever deities were out there that he wouldn't lose it and start bawling like a baby. It seemed like an eternity, but finally they were in the room. Makaro wasn't there, thank goodness (Hatsuharu couldn't remember if he was at dinner or not), and it wasn't long before Lakano had steered him to a bed and sat him down.

“Why were you crying back there? Please don’t say it’s nothing, because I know that’s not true. It’s your father, isn’t it?"

It was a fair question, but still he struggled to respond. Haru loved Lakano, with all his heart and soul, but his father — that day — it was a day like no other, one he hoped never to repeat, or even come close to repeating. The redhead opened his mouth to respond, but the words just wouldn't come. It was like squeezing something out of a cylinder with no opening - everything was too tight, his chest hurt from the pressure. Vaguely he could feel Lakano's hand on his waist, and drew strength and comfort from the touch. Still, the response wouldn't come.

“What happened between you two?”

The concern and worry was evident in Lakano's voice. Maybe Haru was imagining it, but was that a hint of desperation? No, no, not desperation. Need. Lakano needed to know, needed to understand. The young man finally turned his head to look at his boyfriend, and was taken aback at the startling blue eyes staring intently into his. Those eyes, those beautiful azure eyes; they were filled with concern, worry... pain. Pain at not knowing, pain at guessing, pain because the person in his arms was hurting and he couldn't help.

That pain was what broke him. He flung his arms around Lakano's neck, holding him close and tight, sobbing into the beautifully tanned shoulder. Hatsuharu sobbed uncontrollably, the agony of his past bursting free like a dam let loose. Three years. Three years.

It was a few minutes before his tears subsided. He drew away from his boyfriend, sniffling and hiccuping, rubbing all the unattractive tear stains and runny nose-ness from his face with his handkerchief. Luckily he always carried one in his pocket, no? Ew. He'd have to wash this now. Gross.

He looked at Lakano, who was still waiting, ever so patiently, for a response. Hatsuharu nodded, hiccuping still. His boyfriend deserved to know. Even though they'd only been a couple for a few months, those few months had not only been bliss, but chock-full of bonding and adventure that would either tear a couple apart or bring them together. They were the latter couple.

With a deep breath, Haru launched into his story, his voice soft and quavering slightly. It was a little over three years ago when it had happened....

••••••••••••

... "Just tell him, Hari'i!"

Xiaoyu was pushing him again. Tell father, tell father, tell father. The teen pushed his sister away, grinning. "Yeah, yeah, easy for you to say, Xiao-nee! You're daddy's little angel." He stuck his tongue out at her playfully. His near-twin returned the favour, her almost identical face mirroring his own. "Daddy's little angel my foot," she retorted. "Just tell him. You'll never know unless you do."

Hatsuharu was really hesitant. Suuya, his father, wasn't exactly the word's most tolerant man when it came to his son. He was already disappointment after disappointment in his father's eyes. Naturally talented firebender, wanting nothing more than to cook, rather than continue the family business of weapon smithing. Of course Xiaoyu wouldn't understand. They shared a lot of things — looks, upbeat personality, love of looking go~o~o~od-- but Suuya's disappointment was one of the few dissimilarities they had. Being the eldest, and a girl, Xiaoyu could do little wrong in their father's eyes. She was beautiful, talented, and well loved by the community. Hatsuharu, on the other hand... he could see the looks as he went through the capital, the other Fire Nation citizens smiling to his face but talking behind his back. Suuya Shipachi's odd child. The girl-boy. So many hurtful names. Still, they were just words. Suuya may have been disappointed in his son, but they were still family, right?

"Haru! Pay attention!"

He snapped back to reality. Xiaoyu was staring at him, pouting, hands on her hips. "Gods, you are such an airhead! You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" she accused. The redhead blushed sheepishly. "'Fraid not, onee-chan," he confessed. The older girl sighed, blowing a strand of hair out of her face. "I sa~a~a~aid, 'besides, it's your birthday. Father wouldn't be mean to you on your birthday!'"

He pondered this for a moment. As much as he wanted to believe his sister, he feared the consequences. "Haru, you're seventeen now," Xiaoyu reminded him. As if he needed reminding. "You're practically a man now. He's gotta respect you." A mischievous grin crossed his mirror image's face. "Tell him, or I'll tickle you til you pee yourself." Haru chucked a pillow at her, and Xiaoyu tumbled back on the bed, laughing. "Fine, okay, I'll tell him after the party tonight, miss." Xiaoyu chucked the pillow back, smacking him straight in the face. "See that you do."

A soft knock at the door interrupted their conversation. "Come in, okaasan!" they said in unison. The door opened a jar, and Kiteru, their mother, poked her head in. "Haru-chan," she murmured in her gentle way, "your guests are arriving." She smiled warmly at her son and daughter before closing the door again.

Haru looked at his sister, face a little pale. "Showtime."

••••••••••••

Haru paused his story telling. Maybe the information wasn't so important, the whole set up, but he had to say it. Not that he was blaming Xiaoyu for what happened, but Lakano had to understand that he had never been comfortable with the idea of telling his father. It wasn't that his father was a homophobe, it was just the fact that it was his son. His disappointment of a son, who would no longer carry the family name. The Shipachi name died when Haru did, since if Xiaoyu married she'd take the surname of her husband.

The redhead stood, looking around for something to drink. As much as he loved to talk, he was already emotionally drained and needed something to quench his thirst. Luckily, the innkeepers provided all the rooms with fresh pitchers of water at regular intervals through the day, and Haru poured himself a cupful. The liquid hit his parched tongue like rain on drought-plagued lands; so cool, so refreshing. Quickly he drained one cup, then another, and another. Once he had his fill, he set the cup down on the little table, his back still turned. He just needed a moment to regain his composure. It was as if an old wound, one not quite healed, had been made anew. Painful, but therapeutic. Hatsuharu turned to Lakano, leaning up against the table. It wasn't that he needed to be away from his boyfriend -quite the opposite- but the firebender was afraid that if Lakano showed any sympathy during the next part of his story that he'd be unable to continue.

Gripping the edge of the table, fingers digging into the wood, Haru fixed his amber eyes on the floor at some invisible fascinating spot and continued his story. The party itself wasn't important, but what had happened after....

••••••••••••

... It was getting late by the time the last guest left. Kiteru was in the kitchen, helping the servants clean up the dishes and gift wrappers. A decent birthday celebration to be sure. Nothing too elaborate, but a delicious four course meal, not including the fabulous moon-pie dessert. That had to be the biggest moon-pie Hatsuharu had ever seen. Yum, red bean paste!

Suuya was relaxing with his feet up, browsing through some scrolls of something or other. He was relaxed, moderately in a good mood; hard to tell for sure, though. Hatsuharu couldn't remember the last time the man smiled. Wait, scratch that. It was when Haru discovered he could firebend. Over a decade ago.

Kiteru came into the sitting room, wiping her hands on a cloth. She smiled at her family, handing the cloth over to a nearby servant who quickly disappeared to properly dispose of it. When she sat down next to her husband, Xiaoyu gave a dainty little cough. Hatsuharu glared daggers at her, but she rolled her eyes and glanced at their father.

Tell him tell him tell him tell him.

The redhead glanced at the ceiling; his bags were on the floor of his room, packed and ready to go, just in case. Xiaoyu had scoffed at him, reassuring him that Suuya would be fine with everything. Both of them knew though, that it was a lie. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as he feared, but there was no way that Suuya would be 'fine'. Xioayu cleared her throat again. Get on with it! her eyes said. Haru glared some more, before addressing his father.

"Otousan?"

Suuya looked up from his scrolls. "Yes?" he said, gruffly. "What is it, Haru?"

The redhead fingered the hem of his shirt nervously. "I... have something to tell you," he began lamely. His throat was dry, his heart, pounding a jittery and erratic tattoo against his chest. "Well, you see, I.. uh..." His father raised an eyebrow impatiently. "Yes, son, what is it?"

So Haru began to tell him. How different he felt, how he never quite fit in. How awkward it had been playing with other boys his age. How he never knew quite what to do when surrounded by his peers, in every sense of the word. How the sensation of being different haunted him during the day, and plagued his dreams at night. How it had taken forever to figure it out, but he finally had.

He paused, afraid to continue. Suuya seemed to sense his hesitation, and nodded for his son to go on. The redhead glanced at Xiaoyu, who nodded her support. 'Tell him,' she mouthed. Kiteru was smiling at him in encouragement. He had never told his mother, but like any attentive mother she had guessed it ages ago. Hatsuharu drew strength from their support, and barreled forward.

"I... um.... like.... men......"

Silence. Haru glanced at Xiaoyu in alarm. Silence was never a good thing with their father. Never. His sister nodded more urgently, telling him to continue before Suuya could speak. He plucked up his courage and hastened to explain.

"That is to say, uhm... I have romantic inclina-——"

"Shut up."

Hatsuharu's mouth snapped shut. Kiteru was staring at her husband, her mouth agape. Haru glanced sidelong at his sister, and found his own frightened and horrified expression mirrored in her face. Suuya was standing now, his features darked by the light of the fire behind him. He seemed to tower over his family, his shadow stretching and blocking Haru's light.

"Get. Out." Suuya told him through gritted teeth. "Two hours. Then you're gone." And he swept out of the room.

••••••••••••

"... so I grabbed my bags, said goodbye to my mother and Xiaoyu, and left. That was three years ago, maybe a little longer; I've been on my own ever since, pretty much, though okaasan and Xiao-nee send me money ever so often to help pay for the overhead costs of my tea shop." His voice cracked, and he hated it. Hatsuharu was still staring at that same spot on the floor; not once had he looked up during the continuation of his tale, as if that spot mesmerised him.

His heart was pounding in his chest; he could hear it reverberating in his eardrums. His fingernails were still dug into the wood of the table, fingertips raw and starting to bleed. The young man wanted to convey to Lakano, somehow, that his father wasn't a horrible man. That it was just that he was disappointed, and the disappointment was too much to bear, considering everything else Haru had let him down on. But, the words wouldn't come. He just stood there, mute, waiting for his boyfriend to speak.

^_^;'
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 18, 2010 14:23:43 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 17, 2010 11:39:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 17, 2010 11:39:06 GMT -6

Oh, no. I have come so far from this:

Prince Zuko stood on his small vessel which he had gotten to search for the AVATAR. He stood alone on the deck staring out into the ocean. It had been over two years since his banishment and he had reached a dead end in his search for the AVATAR. Zuko grinned and spoke to himself,
"I will find you AVATAR, and I will reclaim my throne." Zuko began pacing around the deck in circles he thought to himself, Where is that girl Kanea, I have received little information about the AVATAR and I must speak with her about her assignment, thats it I will go to Kyoshi and find her.
With that Zuko began to walk to his smaller ship hidden within his ship, however, to reach it he must go through the tower which meant another stupid proverb.

Zuko entered the tower as quietly as he could, sadly he was not quiet enough and so his uncle Iroh saw him.
"Prince Zuko, please sit and have some of this delicious tea which was just made," Iroh told Zuko. Zuko bitterly replied
"No thanks,..." he paused,"Uncle I will be going stop the ship and stay in these present water, for I will return." With that Zuko took off down some stairs, and prepared to exit the ship.
The ship slowly stopped and the latch was dropped. Zuko's ship then began to exit. It slid down the ramp and began to hed toward Kyoshi.
Iroh got out of the tower and watched Zuko's ship get farther and farther away.

To this:

Same Village

Iroh nodded when Lakano stated that he still needed to go back to the room. From what he could sense, the young waterbender might have finally not only accepted his position, but also have some level of control over himself, at least when it came to Master Pakku. Happy to see the young bender at ease, the old, retired general gladly moved aside, and let Lakano leave the room. He, on the other hand, spent a few moments inside with his sights solely on the Avatar’s comatose body. He wouldn’t be there to see him awaken or to greet him when he came back. Hopefully though, he would see and hear the young boy’s joyful cheers and laughs. It was a tragedy that the most jovial member of the group had to be silenced. The master firebender was certain that were he around during their slump, they wouldn’t have spent so many days in a daze.

Eventually, the old man stepped outside the room, and back into the crowded one. Thankfully, he arrived just in time to hear Lakano call for Zuko to be informed on the plan at hand. Without hesitation, Iroh silently raised his hand to motion that he would handle that matter, personally of course. Thusly, he silently left the commotion of the meeting and headed toward the room that was shared between the three Fire Nation nobles. He knocked once, hoping that if the two of them were there, that he wouldn’t be interrupting them. There wasn’t a reply, and with an inquisitive look, he opened the door and entered. As foretold by the lack of reply, there wasn’t anyone there. Thankfully though, the room wasn’t messy. Someone must have tidied up a bit, probably Karena.

They're probably outside, thought the old man, while he closed the door and headed outside of their inn. Upon exiting the building, he was immediately greeted by the cold, chilly wind. Hot in the day and cold at night. This was certainly a strange place. Why couldn’t it be more like the Fire Nation that he knew, there, at least, the weather knew how to act. Hot and humid, that was the typical climate, and at least it rarely changed; of course there was the occasional shower, but that was typical of the equatorial locals. With a quick shudder, he glanced around the small pile near the inn’s wall. The lantern was missing, the prince probably had it. No, he was certain that he did have it. Rubbing the cold from his fore arms, Iroh grudgingly walked the dark path, hoping that he wouldn’t fall over or something along those lines. Thankfully, up ahead, he caught a glimpse of the familiar glow cast by that paper lantern. It was faint and coming from the side of the barn. At least now he knew where to go.

Iroh proceeded there silently, although he almost tripped over a rock and thusly flailed around like a duck for a second before he recovered his balance. Childishly, he turned around, bent over, picked up the rock, and then flung a few feet away. He wouldn’t fall for that again! With that, no longer a pressing issue, he turned back around and then proceeded to the barn. His steps were, for the most part, silent, and when he heard an exchange between the two lovers, he paused and let them talk without his presence, hopefully being known.

Unfortunately, he couldn’t help but eavesdrop on their conversation. He waited there, by the front door of the barn sort of spying on the two. It was nice to know that they were getting along, and enjoying their time together. But alas, they would have to go asleep soon. Thusly, Iroh took a few steps back, and then made it an effort to make his movements as loud as possible. As expected, his nephew rounded the side of the barn; he expected Karena to follow soon after.

It was uncle. Good. He really didn’t feel like seeing anyone else. Not that he didn’t like them or anything; he was just better around people he knew and stuff. Uncle quickly got to the point. The meeting was ending and apparently a plan was already made. As uncle explained, since there were more waterbenders in their group than anything else, they would attack at night, when their bending was at its maximum. That made sense; hopefully he wouldn’t be too troubled by the sun’s absence. But that didn’t make him worry too much, he fought against Shijin before at night. He didn’t have that much problem then, but he did feel the strain of the extra effort on his bending. Then again, he was a different person then, perhaps his bending had changed since then. As if that was possible.

According to uncle, he was teemed up with Quan-Li. Great, Kanea’s boyfriend or…well he didn’t exactly know what was going on between the two of them, but surely he expected eartbender to question him on his relationship with Kanea. Now that was something that he wasn’t looking forward to doing. After all, how else could he put it, she was my spy and yeah…hopefully she told him already. But besides that, it wasn’t all that bad. Karena said that the Avatar struggled with earthbending. Hopefully, he could ask the Avatar’s teacher for help when it came to his bending discipline. The banished prince was sure that Quan-Li would at least have some advice when it came to that respect. Along with the earthbender, the Fire Nation exile was also told that a few others would be in his group. As expected, uncle hadn’t heard. Oh well, hopefully it wouldn’t Kanea, because then it would be both of them to deal with. As for the other people, he wouldn’t have a problem with any of them unless it was the other Water Tribesman. Sokka was it, yeah that was his name. He was a joker, sure, but he often got abrasive and annoying very quickly. Not to mention that his jokes weren’t that great either. Now that would be the worst part. He could handle Kanea and Quan-Li’s thing, but the joke the awful, head-slapping jokes were something he would struggle to endure.

With a quick quiver, the banished firebender finally mustered up the strength to do what he was going to do earlier, had the Order not arrived. He slowly lifted his left hand, and then called for uncle to take the small well-crafted knife on his palm, “Here.” His tone was soft, but at the same time carried the prince’s usual severity, “I want you to take this with you. I helped you pack, and I know that you’ll be needed a knife more than I will.” When it was taken from his hand, he lowered it, and then continued his small address with a somewhat lighter, friendlier tone, “I’m not returning it though. Consider it a loan,” he said, and then quickly and jokingly added, “And I expect you to return it, when I become the Fire Lord.” He smiled, at the last part. As usual, uncle was the one to initiate the hug, and the scarred youth tightly returned the embrace.

“Come on, let’s go inside,” stated the young man. Turning to his fiancée, he then asked, “Could you get the lantern? Please.” With that he headed back into the inn, and to their room. He noted that uncle headed back to the commotion, hopefully Karena wouldn’t follow uncle.

I always knew they were bad, but didn't realize how bad they actually were. ???

Post by Gia on Aug 17, 2010 14:46:57 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Haruki - Wow, that is sad. You have come a long way from that.

Kami - Haha, yeah, I remember that. I graded that romance and gave it a good, too. -_-

Shio - Haha, going back and reading those posts, I was like, "Wow... You're kidding me. I actually allowed him to write avatar in all caps?"
This user is Mod
nemoknown
Aug 17, 2010 14:50:20 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 17, 2010 14:50:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Granted; I was a LOT younger when I was in my first rp...>.>
This user is a guest
Last edit by ayumi: Aug 17, 2010 14:50:39 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 17, 2010 14:50:20 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
- i was looking for the "Katara looked at Kiishu. "What's wrong," she asked." post, but i got lazy. =x i'll see if i can find it though... ugh, how humiliating. >.<
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Aug 17, 2010 15:58:38 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I found it - here. Here's another one, though. ;D
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 17, 2010 15:59:13 GMT -6