The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Name Meaning

nemoknown
Aug 13, 2010 23:59:56 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 13, 2010 23:59:56 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
What does your character's name mean?

If you want, I will look it up for you.

Haruki = From the Sun
Fushicho = Phoenix

Haruki Fushicho = Phoenix from the son

If you want to know a different name, I'd be glad to look that up as well ^^
This user is a guest
trakada
Aug 14, 2010 1:26:44 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 14, 2010 1:26:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Trakada was basically just something that came to me when I was reading about typical Water Tribe names on the Avatar wiki. It also shares two hard consonants with my real name, which gives it a familiar ring.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 14, 2010 12:48:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 14, 2010 12:48:45 GMT -6

Shio- Nothing, or at least it shouldn't mean anything. I just used the Fire Sage's name, Shyu, and changed the last sound to a long o. Unfortunately, the actual spelling escaped me at the time so I am left with Shio instead of Shyo.

Jiao- It means pretty or something like that in Mandarin I think. Not sure, it has a meaning, but I just chose it because I like names that end in long o sounds.

Vora- ask Taed.

Akado- This one comes from an Native American name, Akando which means ambush, I changed it up because I speak Spanish and everytime I said the name the 'ando' part made it sound like a verb so I nixed the N altogether.
This user is a former member
nemoknown
Aug 14, 2010 14:29:18 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 14, 2010 14:29:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I couldn't find anything on Trakada, sorry ^^;

Shio means Salt water in Japanese...
Jiao means Beautiful, lovable, or to teach in mandarin
I couldn't find anything on Vora...it seems to be of Hindu and Muslim origin though.
Akado literally means red armor in Japanese...but I like how you got the name from the native american ambush...do you know what tribe used it?
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 14, 2010 15:00:28 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I know Akita has a meaning, but I'm not sure what it is. I just picked it because I liked it. All the rest of the names I made up of the the top of my head, so I have no idea if they mean anything or not.
This user is Mod
trakada
Aug 14, 2010 15:45:50 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 14, 2010 15:45:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
nemoknown Avatar

No worries, I kind of like it better that way- it lets me forge my own meaning. :)
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 14, 2010 16:52:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 14, 2010 16:52:07 GMT -6

nemoknown Avatar

Shio means Salt water in Japanese...
Jiao means Beautiful, lovable, or to teach in mandarin
I couldn't find anything on Vora...it seems to be of Hindu and Muslim origin though.
Akado literally means red armor in Japanese...but I like how you got the name from the native american ambush...do you know what tribe used it?

Well, I guess I now know a bit more about each of my characters :)

As for Akado's name, that is pretty funny. I'm not sure which tribe it comes from, but I got it from one of those baby name repositories, so the actual meaning may be falsified.

You get Karma for the search.
nemoknown
Aug 14, 2010 19:52:35 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 14, 2010 19:52:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Karena = Pure One (Scandinavian origin)
Azula = Blue (hispanic origin)
Takeno = couldn't find 'Takeno' but found Take-Mountain, and no-field. so...Plateau, or the Mountain Field?
Akita = is a type of dog and province in japan. an extremely loyal, smart, and agile dog
Quan-Li =Quan can either mean 'spring (of water)." Also a martial arts term meaning "fist."
2. Vietnamese name element meaning "soldier, warrior."
and Li can be Powerful for a man. so either Powerful spring(of water [great for a waterbender]) Powerful Fist (Great for a earth kingdom person...most likely to me) or Powerful warrior.
Lakano = I cant find anything here again.
Makaro = All I could find was that it is Australian in origin
Zhai Li = Closest I could find was Sunlight for Zhai(Zhao) so...Powerful Sunlight?
Aang = is Latin for Bend
This user is a guest
antishipper
Aug 14, 2010 19:54:51 GMT -6

Post by antishipper on Aug 14, 2010 19:54:51 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Sha is Sand.
Bao is Storm.
Together, they are Sandstorm!
At least, in Chinese...
This user is a guest
nemoknown
Aug 14, 2010 19:55:43 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 14, 2010 19:55:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
nice! so aiming for a sandbender?
This user is a guest
antishipper
Aug 14, 2010 20:46:10 GMT -6

Post by antishipper on Aug 14, 2010 20:46:10 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Yes actually, Sha's on his way to Omashu to learn about regular bending.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 14, 2010 21:09:26 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Thanks! That was very interesting. I appreciate it. You receive karma!
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 16, 2010 8:54:29 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I know mine. :3

• Hanajima means "Flower" (Hana) and "Island" (Jima)
• Hatsuharu means "New Year" or "Early Spring"; his last name, Shipachi, means either "Death" or "Four" (Shi), and "Pachi" is a onomatopoeic japanese phrase for a 'clapping' noise, or a popping/blinking noise.

• Xiaoyu means "Morning Sorrow" (Xiao) and "Jade" (Yu)
• Nanashi means "Seven" (Nana) and "Deaths" (Shi)
• Akki apparently means "wicked demon", but I had actually gotten it from a book.
• Beshimi means "mouth clamped shut" (though he doesn't live up to his name, lol)

• Sokka is derived from the Japanese phrase "Sou ka[?]" meaning "I see." or "Is that right?", etc.
• Toph is a kind of sandstone; Bei Fong means "supported lotus".
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 16, 2010 8:56:54 GMT -6
nemoknown
Aug 16, 2010 10:08:53 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 16, 2010 10:08:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
That is really cool!

I have also heard that Toph is hebrew for drum, and that Sokka could also be from Sokha, meaning peaceful or content.

Where do those names originate from?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 16, 2010 10:12:00 GMT -6

nemoknown Avatar
That is really cool!

I have also heard that Toph is hebrew for drum, and that Sokka could also be from Sokha, meaning peaceful or content.

Where do those names originate from?

With the exception of Bei Fong and Xiaoyu (both Chinese, not sure what flavour xD), all the names are Japanese. :3
This user is Mod
nemoknown
Aug 19, 2010 8:55:48 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 19, 2010 8:55:48 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
bei is actually german, meaning during or at, as in at a place, can also mean despite
sai means was in finnish
so... Bei Zhi Sai could mean 'having determination despite one's past' ...yeah, a little bit of a stretch...

Aikoufu means 'Love's failure'
This user is a guest
Last edit by nemoknown: Aug 19, 2010 8:56:28 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 19, 2010 10:31:04 GMT -6

pokakaa Avatar
Yes but my name is Chinese. Not German or Finnish.

There's really no need to be rude; he was just informing you of alternate meanings. Also, if your name were truly Chinese, there wouldn't be two of them with "no meaning" - all words have meanings. 'Bei' seems to be, in Chinese, a partial meaning for 'Treasure'. 'Sai' is a combination of "Sa" and "Ai", which would roughly be translated to "Divine Mother of All."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 19, 2010 10:39:53 GMT -6
trakada
Aug 19, 2010 11:57:56 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 19, 2010 11:57:56 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
nemoknown Avatar
Aikoufu means 'Love's failure'

That's awesome. XD
This user is a guest
zanisha
Aug 20, 2010 1:01:10 GMT -6

Post by zanisha on Aug 20, 2010 1:01:10 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Let's see, the name Zanisha, which was my character's original name came to me off the top of my head. However, I shortened it to be Zana which means Lily.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 20, 2010 15:47:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 20, 2010 15:47:02 GMT -6

Bei Fong means "supported lotus" ? How unexpected, I always thought it meant something like "wealth" or "top" (as in top of something, leader, best) or "prosperity", seeing as they're the richest family in the Earth Kingdom/the whole world, and also the only ones with an actual last name in the show.

In my case... Joychi doesn't mean anything I think, I just wanted a name starting with J and ending with an E sound, so I put together Joy and Chi. Di-Jei's name is simply asian-ed DJ. Del was... an accident, I guess. I just heard the name from "I Robot", and it sounded asian-ish so I thought "Look no further !". Akita and Agita were taken from a manga - I really sucked at choosing names - but they sounded like common names so I didn't mind. And Hinh is my favorite, because Hinh Thoi means diamond in Vietnamese. While she doesn't have a last name, it is her full name as a priestess.