The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

How's the staffing?

kaitokatashi
Mar 2, 2010 13:16:37 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Mar 2, 2010 13:16:37 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hey there, TARPers. I'm posting this thread in an effort to gain insight into how the members feel about the forum; specifically, in regards to staff.

Before I go any further, I'm gonna lay down some rules so we don't have any issue. I don't really like to be a stickler like that, but I want this topic to be handled in a friendly and mature matter.

RULES:
- Be respectful to EVERYONE.
- Try and voice your opinions without getting derogatory.
- If you have an issue with or questions for any specific staff member, I ask that you PM them instead of airing personal issues in this thread.

That being said, how effective do you think the staff here at TARP is? What are we doing well? What could we improve in? Do you feel like your issues, if you have any, are handled in a timely manner? Do you have any questions for us?

Staff, I also encourage you to post in this thread.

Have at it!
This user is a guest
seru
Mar 2, 2010 13:22:39 GMT -6

Post by seru on Mar 2, 2010 13:22:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I can't give any complaints. I had a wonderful time making Soshi, since everyone was so helpful, and willing to listen to my ideas.

Largest Kudos for that one to Toph and Karena, for listening to me prattle on endlessly.

Other than that, I haven't been on much since Toph took her LoA, so I haven't had any problems.
This user is a guest
hanabi
Mar 2, 2010 13:42:24 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Mar 2, 2010 13:42:24 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The staffing is okay. I don't really pay that much attention to it. When I got in it wasn't the slowest entree I had. That was before Kai's time on staff however.

The only real thing that bothers me is Karena's Avatar... I know she likes Slash Pairings but I really don't like it getting forced down my throat every time I read a letter from her. It kills a lot of my creative ability or even desire to write every time I see it.

Performance Wise Karena runs a pretty tight ship. However the Canon Characters never being able to interact with the OCs means she might as well have two completely separate non related Avatar RPGs, one without the Canon characters in it. She is a good listener but she could stand to post in her RPs as regularly as she staffs. Which is kind of a major thing considering she holds the majority of the center characters... Aang, Azula, etc.

Katara, now known as Toph is probably the sweetest person I've met on the site and she is a dedicated hard working sort that I respect. She doesn't force hideous things down my neck and she's always listened.

Suyami and I have had a few run in's she's always been good, not much to say as I havn't interacted that terribly much.

Ai Lin is in the same boat as Suyami.

Never met Zarah.

Kai Katashi I'm not sure about on staffing because his airing of work is approving profiles. Something I had done by Yi before his retirement from the site. But he's pretty good with his roles. His control of the Canon Character Haru under his belt is quite top notch. He took a side character and did really well on it. Not to say we haven't bumped heads before... but hay that's no ones business but ours.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Mar 2, 2010 14:20:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 2, 2010 14:20:50 GMT -6

I think it's quite fine. Things are approved in a timely manner and the staff is friendly enough to warrant a feeling of confidence should an issue arise. Moderating is a hefty job, sometimes, and I think you do quite well.

I can see what the previous poster means when mentioning the lack of interaction between canon and non- characters, but this isn't something that really bothers me. I am much more comfortable writing characters of my own creation. I can see how others might enjoy more interaction with canon characters, however (:

I don't think I've been here long enough to notice if there are any little problems, but I'm not seeing any glaring ones. Oh, besides the fact that I think 55 pages is unwieldy for a thread and I dislike the wee switch between pages mechanism because I always try to click a number and it disappears before I click it. Woe.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 2, 2010 14:28:06 GMT -6
kaitokatashi
Mar 2, 2010 14:55:22 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Mar 2, 2010 14:55:22 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hanabi Avatar

Performance Wise Karena runs a pretty tight ship. However the Canon Characters never being able to interact with the OCs means she might as well have two completely separate non related Avatar RPGs, one without the Canon characters in it. She is a good listener but she could stand to post in her RPs as regularly as she staffs. Which is kind of a major thing considering she holds the majority of the center characters... Aang, Azula, etc.

rui Avatar
I can see what the previous poster means when mentioning the lack of interaction between canon and non- characters, but this isn't something that really bothers me. I am much more comfortable writing characters of my own creation. I can see how others might enjoy more interaction with canon characters, however (:

I think I can shed some light as to why this is. A long time ago, the canon storyline was open, but so many people wanted to travel with the Avatar to the point that it got ridiculous. To nip this in the bud, the staff agreed that the canon plotline would be closed to prevent the group traveling with the Avatar from being too big because, honestly, wouldn't Ozai notice?
This user is a guest
erikai
Mar 2, 2010 15:06:09 GMT -6

Post by erikai on Mar 2, 2010 15:06:09 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well, I haven't quite been here for that long, but as far as I can tell, this is a well run site. The staff are friendly and helpful, answering my tide of questions without so much as a groan. As mentioned above, I do believe that 55 page threads are a bit intense. I can understand it being more organized this way, but it can be a pain to try and find which page you need to read if you need to catch up in a Roleplay. Otherwise, good site. Way to go, can't believe I didn't notice you guys before.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Mar 2, 2010 21:55:41 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Hanabi - I believe this is what Kai was talking about. You've had my MSN since you joined. You could have IMed me or sent me an e-mail or PM or something. If any of this stuff bothered you, you should have said something about my sig/avatar and that my not posting a lot bothers you. I don't remember you saying something to me about either one. As for the sig/avatar... it's gone. All you had to do was saying that it was offending you.

As for me not posting... I've been better recently, but only because I have no job. While I do, I do have a life. My first priority is staffing - having fun comes second. Yes, something that means I don't get to have fun. You guys get a smooth running site. Now, this is what I'm waiting on... Ai Lin & I are rping as Azula & Mai, but she's had a lot going on these past several months. Recently, it's slowed down, and I plan on reminding her about. Aang's unconsious. The Canon plot was held up because of Toph, but we're going to move along without her.

This all things that I wish you have talked to me about. :)

Lack of Canon/Non-Canon Interaction - I know that people are concerned about this, and they don't like it. I understand, I do. But Kai's right - that's exactly why. I originally had the canon plot open, as he said, and literally, like when the site started booming, everyone knew the avatar, was looking for the avatar, or something along those lines. It was insane. We still have more characters that we really need, but a lot of that's too late to change now.

Length of Threads - This is ironic, actually, since it used to shorter - a lot shorter, and people complained that it was too fast. Of course, the site was much faster back then. If this is a general consensous - it's really supposed to be 50 and not 50+ - then I'd be happy to have that changed. :)

@everyone - I know that some people can be intimidated by me, because I come off as direct, and sometimes rude. Yes, I am a very direct person, and that's why sometimes my posts come off as rude. Also, because of my sarcasm, which doesn't come off well online. I'm not a mean, scary control freak or anything, and I won't bite your head off if you PM me, or IM me, and need to talk because you have a problem with something, or you're concerned about something. :) And if I do come off that way, it's not intentional, but I'm always willing to talk if anyone of you feel that something needs to be brought to my attention. This is my site, and I like to make sure I'm always on top of something.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 2, 2010 22:08:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 2, 2010 22:08:45 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Lack of Canon/Non-Canon Interaction - I know that people are concerned about this, and they don't like it.

Hey. I like it.

Also, one thing I'd like to say — on almost any internet forum, whoever the admin is often gets thought of as "intimidating" even if that isn't the case. It's the same often with global mods and such. For whatever reason, maybe it's just the 'authority' position you're in, people may notice less even if you're nice as pie. I don't think you come off badly, so I hope you don't think everyone thinks you do.
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 2, 2010 22:10:15 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Mar 2, 2010 23:25:47 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Shtiya - Thank you! I wonder sometimes, as it seems that some people are afraid to approach me, as 60% of PMs concerning staff and such things go through Toph. I can't tell you how often that's happened. :) She's always told me, though, that it's not me, and that a lot of new members see "Head Admin" and freak out. :) I do understand that feeling. I was a newbie once.

And someone who likes canon/non-canon seperation! Yay!

This user is Mod
aniaxintsa
Mar 3, 2010 15:03:26 GMT -6

Post by aniaxintsa on Mar 3, 2010 15:03:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I think the staff here is perfectly fine. They haven't done anything at all to bother me yet, so I think they are perfect.
This user is a guest
ailin
Mar 4, 2010 22:34:17 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Mar 4, 2010 22:34:17 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I can't say I have any issues. I can really only pick at what I feel are my own failings at being more actively involved. There are a lot of RPs that I need to pick up and get back to, but like Karena said, I have either been extremely busy or had physical problems that made everything difficult. TARP definitely deserves better than what I've been able to do, and I'm resolving to be better.

I'm on the mend, so I'm looking forward to more RPing goodness. :)
This user is a guest
suyami
Mar 5, 2010 0:49:57 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Mar 5, 2010 0:49:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I agree with Ai Lin in the sense that I wish I had more time to dedicate... I'm stuffed to the ears with college prep, work, AP classes, etc, etc... school and rowing are eating away at any free time I have. But I am trying to weasel in time for TARP because I love it so. I'll do my best as a Branch Staffer, and roll myself right back on the RP wagon! :D
This user is a guest
tanhuanren
Mar 6, 2010 21:52:08 GMT -6

Post by tanhuanren on Mar 6, 2010 21:52:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

General Comments:
Regarding my own limited and inferior excursions with this website and its staff, I have experienced nothing that struck me negatively. Aside from Miss Toph's understandable absence, all of my conversing with the administration has been punctual, persistently clear, and definitive. Socially, no faults or errors have aired themselves repetitively.

Canon Roles:
The simplest method of sating a possible desire among the general membership toward the canon characters from the Avatar series is to open those roles to them. Since joining, I have noted that numerous roles have been assumed by a smaller number of individuals composing staff persons. Specifically, I do not mean to suggest that the roles themselves should be freed. Neither am I aware of a specific person, if any, who might wish to play such a role. Very merely, I thought to state an observation.

Quite frankly, my belief is that a member of this community should play the role they wish to if it is available. For myself, specifically, I do not desire to fill any cannon role. It seems to me that the staff have provided a rather generous method by which players can assume the roles they wish.

Thread Arrangement:
My own bias, which is not entirely relevant to this thread, is that role-play threads would be reasonably grouped according to continents and land masses. This would include water masses also, rather than dividing areas by nationalistic patronage. Again, I do not suggest changing the current system as I assume that it functions for the needs of the community.

Informal Review:
All that said, my sense of measurement toward the effectiveness of the general staff is whether the needs of the community are met. Since I have very little knowledge of such, including the two items noted above, I am not in a position to measure well.

However, I am glad to have experienced a rather general politeness here. It has left me with a good taste for those I have conversed with and the community as a whole.
This user is a guest
Last edit by tanhuanren: Mar 6, 2010 21:59:16 GMT -6
Anonymous
Mar 7, 2010 12:37:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 7, 2010 12:37:18 GMT -6

I don't find anything to say here. I'm not the complaining type of person - and if I used to be, I'm not anymore. From what I have observed, there's nothing wrong about the staff, excpet maybe their RL troubles (but nobody can blame someone because they're busy, right ?). Frankly, I think playing a Canon character is overrated. You don't have that much freedom when RPing a Canon character, and there's also the issue of RP level. I remember I used to want to RP Bumi so badly. Now that I think about it, it would have been a disaster... Now, it's true that keeping them RPing only together and without other OC's is not what I could call "healthy". But I think it would be much more of a mess otherwise.

As for the threads, I don't know. We wouldn't have to look through ten pages if people didn't disappear, but they wouldn't disappear if they had time, and they would have time if they didn't spend it living... there's no end to this reasoning, and I don't think people are ready to die, or stop living in another way.

Anyway, the staff has been doing a rather good job in my opinion.

Post by Gia on Mar 8, 2010 20:13:31 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
@canons - We have had complaints about the lack of avaialable canons in the past. The fact of the matter is, the site is over four years old. There was a point in the site's past when the canons were available. Most of the people are still around.

Actually, Katara was the last major canon to be opened, and we gave that to Suyami not because she was staff - in fact, that was a point against her - but she was the best, so she got it. Shio has had Zuko and Iroh since Day 1, and he's still around, nor was he staff originally. He ended up being staff, as have most of the people who play major canons. This is because that the people who play canons are usually the best - not always, as we have plenty of regular members who are just as good if not better than us staff.

Unfortunate situation? Probably, but that happens with most sites who have been around for years.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 19, 2010 13:58:48 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hi. =D

I know I haven't been around for a while, but I've been reading what's been going on every chance that I've gotten. I have to say that in my absence, it seems that things have improved, at least in terms of overall community. I can't really comment much else, but I would like to point out something, when it comes to conversing with the staff members in general.

Karena's already addressed her directness and openness as coming across as rude. A bit ago, there were also complaints that the staff [myself, specifically] was too formal in conversing with members, which put a few people off. When you converse with the staff, feel free to tell them how you'd like to be addressed. Personally, I keep my 'formal' PMs and posts as formal as possible, to attempt to show no favouritism or bias towards anyone. I'm not trying to be standoffish, or anything, but rather I view any sort of disciplining required of me as something that should be dealt with maturely, without personal feelings getting in the way.

All that said, again, if you'd rather that I/we were less formal, don't hesitate to tell us so.

I would also like to apologise about my lack of activity since about November. It's been a pretty hellish ride as of late, and I know that people have been sending me PMs that I have not gotten to. I do have a stable internet connection now, so feel free to resume sending me any questions about anything. =]
This user is Mod
kiraimitzuki
Mar 19, 2010 17:16:43 GMT -6

Post by kiraimitzuki on Mar 19, 2010 17:16:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well I like the staff very much and everyone's very nice. Its a great place to improve my RPing skills. I really have no problems with ths site except the background gets tedious after a while but thats not that big of a problem.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 19, 2010 17:32:57 GMT -6

Hi Kirai. =] Could you explain how the background becomes tedious? =] I'm not upset or anything, but if it's something you dislike, feel free to tell me how you think it can be improved, as the design/layout is my department. =]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 19, 2010 23:27:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 19, 2010 23:27:26 GMT -6

Hi Kirai. =] Could you explain how the background becomes tedious? =] I'm not upset or anything, but if it's something you dislike, feel free to tell me how you think it can be improved, as the design/layout is my department. =]

I'm not Kirai but I do wish there was a lo-fi skin option available if the user so chose. I tend to prefer to use lo-fi or "work appropriate" skins on fora.
seru
Mar 20, 2010 1:17:14 GMT -6

Post by seru on Mar 20, 2010 1:17:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
*pokes his head in after nearlt two months*

Guys, there is no reason to fear the staff here.

Trust me, I have pushed Karena near to breaking point, and got away with introducing a fighting style that can equal bending.

However, disrespecting the staff is not reccomended. I fill a very specific Niche with Soshi (He is obsessed with Azula) so I have been given a bit of leeway.

That, and I am the son of Admiral Zhao (How that one flew is anyone's guess)

Anyways, long story short, lighten up. The staff loves you, in an impersonal, familial way

Unless your me, in which case it's more an obsessive Romantic attraction

(Someone got two scoops of Ego with his Raisin Bran today.)

Also, Welcome back Toph, Soshi was despairing he would never see the light of day again.
This user is a guest
Last edit by tanhuanren: Mar 20, 2010 1:18:06 GMT -6