The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

What types of pictures can be used for a face claim?

Anonymous
Sept 26, 2017 0:12:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 26, 2017 0:12:18 GMT -6

Hello!

I am super excited to have found this RP! While I am not a total fan of the Korrah series, just the Aang series, I am hopeful to hear that this rp is not exactly mimicking the show <3

In the rules, it was stated that animanga is the type of "art" to be used for Face Claims, however, that permission is required. 

Aaand I'm clueless as to where to find a suitable FC for my character. Where can a suitable animanga picture be used from where I don't have to ask permission? Given that it's all art, created by someone from somewhere once upon a time.

Are characters from the former series fair game, just not as themselves? Azula has always been my favorite :D 

Thanks!
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 26, 2017 8:55:14 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hi there! Thank you for your interest (:

1. We are no-canons, so your character must be an original one. You can, perhaps, take inspiration from Azula, but the character should not be a prodigy or be a carbon copy of the character. As much as possible though, due to our plotline, characters should be original.

2. This one is a little more complex due to copyright laws, so please understand I am not giving legal advice and rather a short summary of a layman's understanding of copyright laws: "official" art can generally be taken and modified under fair use laws, but when dealing with fan art (already a derivative work) or original art from small-time creators, please ask for their permission before using. Of course this is not wholly comprehensive — there are some instances where certain aspects of official art cannot be used, or can only be used in specific manners (this generally, but not always, involved the use of content with brand names on it like the Blizzard Games logo). For TARP, make sure to ask permission if the art you are using is fanart or original art. If in doubt, don't use it!

Hope this helps (:
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 26, 2017 16:42:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 26, 2017 16:42:20 GMT -6

Thank you for the direction!

You guys are the only site I've come across that is this strict with usable art / character face claims. I suppose what makes it hard is that you only allow animanga style - which has to be drawn by someone, somewhere.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 27, 2017 15:43:04 GMT -6

From another thread regarding icons:

The reason we require permission for all fanart has to do with copyright. From a legal standpoint, I cannot advise you that an official piece of art is "fair game" (as I am not a lawyer), but from personal experience most large companies and famous creators do not mind fan creations or edits of official works under fair use (some, however, do, such as Anne Rice). Fan artists, however, tend not to have the backing or the recognition of large companies and art / animation groups and we ask for permission to err on the side of caution. I know this is kind of a muddy answer, and I do apologise, but I cannot advise specifically on the legalities of the situation beyond what I've stated.
By extension, this also applies to original artwork by small-time artists.

What other forums choose to do with regards to compliance to copyright laws has no bearing on what we do here on TARP to stay compliant with them and, by extension, ProBoards TOS, which forbids infringing on others' copyright.

On a personal note: I left the freelance art field because my art kept getting used without permission — my work has been shared thousands of times without my permission on various social media, without credit to me, which made it impossible to continue doing my work professionally. Many online artists, both professional and not, are leaving the online art community because of this as well (for example the exodus of pixiv artists).

Ultimately, you're on the honour system. We assume that you will be responsible and follow the rules. However, if we receive any communication from the original artist of a piece saying that the work is being used without consent, we will comply with any requests to remove the image and the user in question will be subject to disciplinary action here on TARP as outlined in our Rules & FAQ.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 27, 2017 15:52:15 GMT -6