The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Looking Around [Tag: Hangetsu]

Post by Gia on Sept 8, 2014 13:04:23 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai had been looking forward to this day since she and Yutaka had gotten back together. It wasn’t even anything fancy – they were simply spending the day together. Of course, there was an ulterior motive. They were looking for a Waterbender for the Dragon Hawks. If that meant that the two of them got to spend an entire day together – that was fine with her. Luckily, she had the day off. Yuri had to work and wouldn’t have intruded on their date anyway. Her best friend had wished them the best when she was getting ready for work this time. She was on cloud nine right now. It wasn’t even the whole looking for Waterbenders thing – it was spending time with her boyfriend. They were boyfriend and girlfriend again, right? Yeah, sure they were….

Ren’ai had dressed rather simply, nothing fancy. She had put her hair back in a quick ponytail, and wore a simple blue blouse, and a pair of black pants. Her makeup was simple, although nice, because of course she had to look nice! She wore a pair of simple shoes, because she assumed that they would be doing a lot of walking. Her clothes were also comfortable enough that if they decided to train at some point today, she could do that and not have to be uncomfortable. Well, like the night of the Solstice Party when they had left early to train and she had been wearing a dress. That was not an experience that she wanted to do over again. This way, she was dressed for everything.

Yutaka had picked her up of course, and now they were headed towards the Park – her suggestion. After all, that’s where they had found Kamil. Maybe they’d get lucky again. At least that had been her reasoning. She didn’t even care if they found anyone, as long as she got to spend the day with him. “So, what shall we do at the Park while we’re looking around for Waterbenders?” she asked him.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 4, 2016 21:37:27 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 12, 2014 23:04:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 12, 2014 23:04:53 GMT -6

In addition to "Eat beforehand" Yutaka Mifune's mother Takako had also advised her son to never make drastic changes to his hair shortly before a date. She never mentioned anything about drastic changes being thrust upon him.
What was once a light brown cascade if hair that stopped at the middle of his back now felt like a drip that didn't even reach his eyes. Instead of hanging loose and parted down the middle or tied into a braid or ponytail Yutaka's hair now only stood a few inches in length bending slightly back. It made him feel horribly exposed.

Before Ren'ai could make a comment on his new look Yutaka decided to explain.
"I thought I would get in some practice by having some guys at work throw fireballs at me. I dodged but my hair didn't."
He then laughed, partially to distract himself from his self-consciousness.

Hair issues aside Yutaka felt comfortable. It was a super huge date and vitally important peak with his relationship with Ren'ai because it was supposed to be casual. Wearing comfortable clothes meant to him that things with Ren'ai had progressed to a point where he didn't need to feel "armored" in fine clothes. With his white, cotton, mandarin collar shirt and semi-loose black pants and sandals Yutaka didn't feel like he was putting on any airs and that made him happy.

Slung over his back were two black carrying tubes containing prints of posters he had designed and in a worn-looking brown satchel were flyers he had spent the last three days designing. If Ren'ai ulterior motive was to recruit a waterbender Yutaka's was to gain a little fame as an artist. Seeing his girlfriend strive to make a career out of the thing she loves made Yutaka wonder if he could do the same.

On the way to the park Yutaka handed Ren'ai a stack of fliers from his satchel he had made to be handed out. The drawings varied in color, subject matter and style. On top was of two dragonhawks flying a collision course, one composed of fire, the other of water. Another depicted what was supposed to be the faces of Ren'ai and Yuri barely visible behind the rock and fireballs being launched directly at who was looking at the flier. While the styles were different with each sheet of paper there was a common calligraphy:
The Dragon Hawks Need A Waterbender.

Part of Yutaka wished the world would go silent while the person whose opinion meant most to him looked at his work. The other part wished it would get louder so she couldn't concentrate on the fliers' flaws.
He opted for conversation. Diverting, but not distracting.
"How are Yuri and your family? And you, of course. How have you been? I've been really excited about this and didn't know what to bring or if I should bring anything.

He could sense the line between chatty and annoying rapidly approaching and stopped to let Ren'ai go about her art criticism.
Yutaka was afraid he had crossed the line but the words refused to be unspoken.
"You look beautiful. Even casual you look like some sort of spirit."
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Oct 11, 2014 20:00:34 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai wondered if Yutaka was uncomfortable with his new hairstyle. Sure, she had noticed instantly because it was a big change from the way he had worn his hair before. He joked around about it, saying that guys had work had thrown fireballs at him for training. Of course, she hadn’t been naïve enough to not realize that he had been joking around about it. He seemed obviously self-conscious about it once she watched him for a bit. The Firebender smiled at her boyfriend. “I like it,” she told him, “but do you like it? I understand hair, believe me.” She would never dream about cutting hers. “I liked you with your old hair, too, but if you don’t like it, it will grow back.” She was trying to be encouraging, and while that wasn’t normally the she was, it wasn’t anything she wouldn’t tell Yuri, either.

Yutaka handed her the papers that had done, and once again, she was amazed at his skill. Being creative and artistic was not a skill that she possessed. Ren’ai smiled at him. “These are amazing,” she told him, honestly, knowing that every person had their own strengths and weaknesses, but still… Hopefully they would work, anyway, because just because they were beautiful and she thought that they would work didn’t mean that they actually would. That was the fact of the matter. They had gotten lucky last time, and who knows if that would happen again, especially since Yuri couldn’t be here this time. It was her and Yutaka, it was their date… which was great, but… she was just so unsure of everything right now.

Yutaka, of course, asked about Yuri and her family. “They’re fine, they’re all fine,” she said. “Everything’s the same expect my oldest brother’s wife is expecting another baby. They’re very happy, of course.” Another grandchild, and another reason as to why she wasn’t up to par yet. “My younger brother is coming along good in his Waterbending training… He’s still going on about wanting to be a Probender someday because of me, and my parents aren’t thrilled by that. He’s unphazed so far, which is good.” The Firebender couldn’t think of anything else to say except for that. Her life wasn’t very exciting. “As for me, everything’s the same since the last time we talked. What about you?”

“I don’t think you need to bring anything except yourself,” she told her boyfriend with a smile. He then said she looked radiant, and all she could do was keep on smiling and then give him a kiss. “Thank you. If it means anything, I think you look handsome today, but I know you won’t believe me.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 17, 2014 15:25:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 17, 2014 15:25:58 GMT -6

Yutaka reflexively ran his fingers through his shortened hair after Ren'ai gave her opinion about it. In order to answer her complex question whether he liked it not took a moment. As he tacked up a poster of Yutaka finally formed his opinion on his own hairstyle.
"Um...it feels a little weird but it's nice on warm days and I think it's going to feel better when I bend. And I think it makes me look less like a spoiled rich kid...more like a spoiled rich adult."

If hearing his hair was fine was a relief, hearing Ren'ai call his art "amazing" was on another plane of existence.
?"Thanks. Thank you. Um, they're not too...you know...arty? I was going for something exciting, like a cover...for...a...pulp novel...or something."
The awkward pauses were partially due to being kissed. The other part had to do with Ren'ai's question of what had beein going on with him. Being called "handsome" didn't help his stammering either. It did, however fill him to the brim with temporary confidence.

S-peaking of pulp novels...I, well, tomorrow I'm showing some of my work to Kirin Publishing. You know...the short novels you can get for a yuan. Lots of sex and violence and stuff, like Izumi Tsukishima's work?"
He paused before he went too overboard explaining the pulp fiction that many people read but few admitted to reading.
"You know I never really cared about people seeing my work, right? Like if people saw it I'd be creating for the wrong reason? I thought about you and how you described bending in front of an audience and now I just wonder if I was scared. So...I decided to put some stuff out there and see what happens."

With a grimace, Yutaka handed his girlfriend a series of cards that were smaller copies of paintings he had done. One, a bespectacled metal bender wearing only a codpiece and the cables the police used for bending. The second was a man and woman embracing one another while standing at the mouth of a volcano. The third was of a teenaged girl with round glasses and a double bun odango hairstyle with her punching her fist into the chest of a green dragon.

Until they reached the park Yutaka made sure to keep silent while Ren'ai looked over the cards but couldn't help talking while he was nervous.
"Other than working on that not much. Oh! I finally...finally won a game of One Hundred Poets against that guy with the Foggy Swamp accent." Yutaka felt that he spent too many phone calls complaining about his constant loss to the same man without Ren'ai feeling at least some relief at his victory.
"Was there ever a team you just couldn't beat when you were a pro?"

Almost as if by fate Yutaka and Ren'ai arrived at the park where he hoped to find a waterbender for his girlfriend's team. He liked the idea of being the supportive voice on the phone while Ren'ai complained about a rival, for once.

Post by Gia on Nov 12, 2014 18:43:01 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai gave a light laugh as he said that now he looked less like a spoiled rich kid and more like a spoiled rich adult. She gave him a light smile as he tried to brush off his art again. “They’re perfect,” she said. “I love them.” She looked over at him, the smile still playing on her lips. “Thank you.” She leaned over and gave him a light kiss on the lips before pulling back, and looked at the artwork again. “What do we do with these lovely pieces, though? I doubt that anyone would look very kindly to us throwing these around the park even if that might be fairly effective.” The dark-haired young woman looked back over at him. “Any suggestions, oh great artist?” A smirk played her lips at that remark.

The smirk broke into a smile as Yutaka told her he was going to be pitching his work. “No, that’s great,” she told him, the excitement evident in her voice. “You should. You’re very talented, and if nothing becomes of it, at least you tried, right? I can’t see them not accepting any of your work, though.” That was when her boyfriend handed her some cards. They were engaging, and beautiful, and it made her want to know more. He kept silent while she looked over the cards. “These are absolutely wonderful. I love them. They’re just gorgeous, too.” She handed the cards back to him, smiling. Sometimes, she was jealous of his talent with art, but everyone had their talents, right?

“I’m glad you finally beat him,” Ren’ai told him, though she’d be glad to not hear about it for once. Yutaka asked if there was a team that they just couldn’t beat. A smirk crossed her face. “Yeah, the team knocked us out in the Quarter-finals.” That should be an obvious answer, but she didn’t blame the dark-haired man for not knowing. After all, he hadn’t been a fan of Probending prior to meeting her. The Earthbender hadn’t been paying attention at the time. As they reached the park, she looked around with amber eyes at the park as they walked in. “So, any idea on where to start? Last time, Yuri and I just started bending, and we attracted Kamil.” He wasn’t a professional, though – not even close.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 2, 2014 22:20:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 2, 2014 22:20:23 GMT -6

“Any suggestions, oh great artist?”
Yutaka snorted in a way that was both derisive and in no way sexy which he immediately covered with a smile.
"Uh...let's see..." Yutaka looked around momentarily before attaching one of his posters to the building wall he walked aside.
"Perfect place. The surface is flat and it's near the park. Actually, I've been setting up posters all week. I've, uh, been kind of excited for this. Maybe there will be a crowd gathering to see you..." He paused lightly bumped his shoulder against Ren'ai's. "Oh, most combustible of firebenders."

The way his girlfriend said that she was glad Yutaka had beaten his rival in a single game didn't sound like the off-handed compliment he usually received. Yutaka assumed it was because Ren'ai knew what it was like to compete with someone and that while she didn't care for a poetry memory game she actually cared about this most minor of victories.
To his own surprise Yutaka found himself less interested in touting his own achievement than he was hearing Ren'ai talk about bending. He knew he couldn't appreciat the sport on the same level as Ren'ai but the look she had while speaking of it made Yutaka happy...as well as a tiny bit jealous.

As she spoke Yutaka handed out fliers while trying to keep his eyes on Ren'ai but it wasn't working. Advertising was important but he wasn't about to waste a chance to look at Ren'ai when she was at her most radiant. Idly, he wondered if she glowed like that when she talked about him to other people.

"Not a clue where we should start. One of us should, um, you know, address the crowd. Say you're looking for a waterbender. I'm not sure I'm the right guy to..." Yutaka sighed, a little frustrated at how wishy-washy he sounded. Foisting the burden of firing up the crowd onto Ren'ai seemed cowardly since she would have to test the difficult benders and judge them to be worthy or not while he only had to show enough bending skill to weed out only the most terrible.

Yutaka took a deep breath and lightly slapped at his face with both hands then ran his palms over his head and took yet another breath.
"G-good people, of...of Republic City!" he started with a semi-confident but much too quiet voice. "People of Republic City! Lend me your ears," he said with greater volume and confidence, although he kept his eyes shut the entire time.
"The mightiest of earth and fire benders have heeded the call of the Dragon Hawks but water remains sorely missing from this...trinity of elements." Aside from a minor pause Yutaka felt fine or at least not like passing out.
"Is there a waterbender among you who hears the call of the Dragon Hawk? Do you wish to test your skills against a pro-bender? Can you even best a novice such as myself? Prove yourself worthy of the Dragon Hawks, water benders and make a poem of your life!"

By then a small group had formed around the practice area with its' streams of water, bending disks and painted lines for pro-bending and Yutaka was utterly terrified.
Like a bashful child Yutaka found himself burying his face in Ren'ai's shoulder.
"Ugh. 'Make a poem of your life'? I should have gotten somebody else to do this. Hired an actor or something."

With more than a slight sense of agitation, Yutaka tested the bending disks provided in the park for texture and hardness. It was his first match without full armor, only a face shield and the torso of his black and gray uniform.
"It's just a try out. It'll be fine. You can do this. Stop muttering to yourself, Ren'ai is watching."
Trying to look more confident than he truly was Yutaka gestured for the first waterbender to approach. To his dismay, it was a large and intimidating man who wasted no time in attacking Yutaka with a stream of water.
In a way it was scarier than the fireballs his girlfriend would lob at him during practice. After all, he had no idea of there was any malice behind the watery attack.
As it turned out there was no power behind the attack. Yutaka turned to take the attack on his shoulder but was not moved.

The grimace the large man exhibited made him look smaller and much less intimidating. When Yutaka launched his first disk at him the poor man instinctively covered his head which made Yutaka feel guilty for aiming his attack at his body.
The man fell back into the second zone looking more than a little embarassed.
One barrage of disks later the man was out of bounds and had lost the right to challenge Ren'ai. Yutaka felt like he had just kicked a baby badger mole.

Yutaka's second opponent was teenaged girl with her brown hair tied into a single braid and sporting glasses that couldn't hide a look in her eye that made Yutaka nervous. He bended a series of disks at the young woman who casually dodged them at Ren'ai often did and hit him with a water attack that sent him tumbling back two zones.
By the time the three minute timer sounded ending the round Yutaka had not been defeated but the bespectacled woman showed enough skill to warrant a match with Ren'ai.

Once Ren'ai had done away with the glasses-sporting teen the other waterbenders that were once eager to show of their skills now shuffled around timidly. Only one raised their hand but Yutaka noticed that as she warmed up in her black pants common among martial artists and black shirt advertising Flame-O Instant Noodles that the woman looked completely past Yutaka at at Ren'ai.
The woman looked an inch taller than Yutaka and seemed so non-chalant that Yutaka wasn't sure he was being taken seriously. When his future opponent lit a black cigarette and gestured with one finger for him to start it was obivious that he was barely regarded at all.

Yutaka's pallette of attacks was small but he'd manage to move Ren'ai every so often and felt confident enough in them to move back someone inferior to his firebending girlfriend.
When his first set of disks were bended upwards Yutaka swung at them with his fist but that was only a cover for hitting them with his elbow giving them more momentum and throwing off the timing.
It didn't work. His opponent just sighed and shook her head before picking up her cigarette. By then Yutaka was annoyed enough to forget his sense of chivalry and attack while his taller enemy looked smugly casual while smoking.
Nothing hit. Yutaka felt like he was throwing rocks at a mirage. It wasn't until several disks later that he noticed the short-haired woman was dodging just enough like some sort of self-imposed handicap.

When the brown-haired woman started swaying side to side Yutaka had no idea what he was seeing. He saw her throw a punch but the timing of the gesture and the crash of the water to his chest was so amazingly off that it seemed like they didn't even happen on the same day. It was the one trick he knew writ large. Water curved in odd directions and hit Yutaka with enough force to move him...but not back. He was being moved to the side into the very corner of his zone. When the woman across from him threw another punch Yutaka stepped back out of reflex. He moved back and zone and her up one. Not only could she overpower him, she had enough finesse to move him into certain parts of the field at will.

Once in the second zone and with thirty seconds to go Yutaka was bombarded with a series of small but fast attacks until a larger one knocked him out of the final zone just as the buzzer sounded.

"I hope he isn't your earthbender," She said to Ren'ai. While thrusing her thumb at her own chest the water bending victor introduced herself, mumbling slightly with a cigarette in her mouth.
"Kiat. Kiat Igaluk. No need to introduce yourself, I know who you are. You're good but I'm still going to beat you down. "

Kiat strolled to her side of the arena and tied on a blue headband and took a sideways fighting stance.
"A Watery grave
Awaits those who would challenge
Kiat Igulak."

Yutaka decided he couldn't totally hate someone who began a bending match with a haiku.

Post by Gia on Dec 20, 2014 11:16:44 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai was surprised when Yutaka said he’d been putting up posters all week. She was grateful, of course, because they really needed another Waterbender. It was nice that he had been so excited about this. In truth, she had been, too. She was going to spend an entire day alone with Yutaka, which was great. Sure, they were going to look for other benders, so if luck went their way, they weren’t actually going to be alone, but… spending the entire day together was something that they didn’t normally get to do. She gave a smile and rolled her eyes when Yutaka said that maybe there was a crowd of people waiting for her. “That’s sweet, but I doubt it,” she told him. “I’m not exactly a very high profile Firebender or anything. I mean, we did decently, but not fantastic.”

Ren’ai was a bit surprised when Yutaka said that they needed to address the crowd, make sure that they know that they were looking for a Waterbender. At first, she was going to tell him no, there had to be another way, but she quickly closed her mouth because… honestly, she had no idea what else to do. Last time, she and Yuri did a bending demonstration. Kamil had seen them, and wondered if they were a professional team. They had lucked out, but that wouldn’t work this time around. No one would believe that Yutaka was a professional Earthbender. While he was miles better than when they had first met, he was nowhere near good enough for that. Anyone watching would most likely just think that they were practicing, which wouldn’t exactly be a lie. So maybe he should?

So, Ren’ai didn’t say anything when her boyfriend started making a speech about completing the elements or whatever… Honestly, there was a probably a better way to do it, but then again, she was more of a ‘this is what we need’ kind of girl instead of all the flowery words Yutaka was using. His speech worked, though, and soon, there were Waterbenders lining up. He seemed embarrassed by it, but she just smiled at him. “You did fine, and hey, it worked, didn’t it?” Maybe it wasn’t how she would have done it, but then again, she had no idea how they were supposed to have done it. Besides, no one does the same thing as someone else. That’s what makes people different, doesn’t it?

Ren’ai wondered if he was nervous, because he was usually practicing against her, and the Firebender just smiled at him. “Don’t worry about it,” she told him. “You’ll be fine.” She crossed her arms, and just hung back to watch the show. It seemed as if Yutaka narrowing down the opponents was a good idea. The first opponent wasn’t as impressive as he looked, but the second one showed promise. She hadn’t beaten him, but she showed enough promise. So, she moved up and prepared to take the girl on. She wasn’t bad but it didn’t take her that long to dispatch. She showed promise, but not enough – and not right now. “You’re not bad,” she told her. “Maybe next year.”

Ren’ai then waved her off, and went back to her spot. She hadn’t showed Kamil’s talent, and she couldn’t help but think that if he hadn’t left, what would they have accomplished in the season that followed? They had just needed time. There was a wave of Waterbenders behind her, though. The next opponent didn’t seem to want to go at Yutaka at all, and looked straight at her. Her boyfriend didn’t give her a chance, though, but Ren’ai quickly gained hope as she saw the two fight. She was good… really good, and Yutaka was being overpowered by her and easily outmatched. The Firebender had to admit it, but she was impressed but the skill the woman was showing.

Ren’ai just smirked as the woman – whose name was Kiat – asked if he was their Waterbender before introducing herself and brushing off any introduction she might have made. She also promptly told her that she was going to beat her. She raised her eyebrows. “First of all, no he’s not, of course. He’s my boyfriend, and he’s helping me out today because my best friend, Yuri, my Earthbender, couldn’t get the day off from work.” Not that it was any of her business, of course. “If you know who I am, you would know that. Also, don’t be so arrogant. I have enough of that for anyone.” She quickly got into position, and waited for the buzzer to sound. She was never one to wait around for someone else to attack, so she quickly sent a couple of rapid punches her way, before switching her weight, and swinging her back leg around, sending an arc for fire her way. It wasn’t a lot, but a decent place to start.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 24, 2015 1:19:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 24, 2015 1:19:53 GMT -6

Ren'ai had mentioned pre-game trash talk before but Yutaka couldn't imagine his girlfriend participating. This other women, the one who beat him so thoroughly obviously thought highly of herself. An arrogance that Ren'ai swiftly dismissed which Yutaka found sexy. Like his dignity had been rescued for dating the woman who would not be psyched out. Ren'ai never looked stronger or cooler than when she told her opponent not to be arrogant.

Yutaka had seen his girlfriend bend fire before. He had even been on the receiving end of one of those flaming kicks. This...this looked different. If it was possible for a flame to smile Yutaka imagined the fire coming from Ren'ai's kick was doing so. He thought any flames launched his way rolling their eyes...the eyes they didn't have. Like they were finally thrown at something worthwhile.

Ren'ai herself even looked a little different. She had an intense look. It was a bit like how she looked while concentrating on something bending related but it felt more focused and somehow dangerous to be around her.

Kiat had trouble dodging the fire attacks the way she had dodged her former opponent's earth disks. No showing off or self-imposed rules for this one. This was the captain of the Dragon Hawks pro bending team and was not to be taken lightly.
She swayed bit to see how much pressure she could but on her left knee before the pain set in. Her right shoulder didn't feel any better. Her physical therapist told her she was at least a year away from being able to compete again, but her heart commanded her to bend and Kiat had no desire to how how her heart would punish her for disobeying.

A misstep put more pressure than Kiat liked on her knee and it buckled slightly distracting her from the flaming kick Ren'ai sent her way. She crossed her arms to shield her eyes but couldn't help stumbling back out of instinct. She saw her foot over the line and looked at the judge to call it. After an awkward stillness Kiat sighed and stepped back on area. There were a lot of things she was willing to do to win but she didn't feel right taking advantage of a mistake from an amateur judge.

This gave Kiat less space to bend in and would make a ring-out easier for Ren'ai to achieve. Kiat didn't like being on the defensive so soon but a strong comeback seemed like fun, it was after all, a try-out and an excuse to show off.

She planted her aching left leg in front of her and swept her right leg backward while gathering large spheres of water at the instep of her right foot and then her hands. She launched two water attacks from her hands straight, but a little wobbly at Ren'ai and waited on the third prong of her attack.
When it looked like Kiat's opponent had to deal with the first two attacks she launched her third with a kick towards Ren'ai. As physically painful as it was to put so much pressure on her knee to kick that hard it hurt even more to see how sloppy and amateurish the water looked bending from her foot. All she could hope is that the two smaller attacks distracted Ren'ai enough for the larger water attack to hit.

Just to be safe, Kiat prepared for an onslaught of fire in retaliation.

Post by Gia on Feb 3, 2015 14:12:29 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai was trying to be subjective while watching her opponent, Kiat. This wasn’t just a sparring match, and even though she was very, very good she needed to remember as much as possible so she could tell Yuri about it later. She didn’t see her opponent’s knee buckle, but she did see it when she put her hands up to block at the attack. That wouldn’t work, of course, and she soon stumbled back. A smirk crossed the firebender’s face. Her opponent was back an area. That always put a smile on her face, because it was hard not to happy when you had the upper hand, even when it didn’t last and there was guarantee that it would lost. She was sure that she would this time, though.

Ren’ai got in a defensive position, ready to defend herself and move if necessary. Kiat sent two water spheres towards her. They were a tad wobbly, but the strength of the attack was good. The dark-haired young woman wondered if her opponent was simply out of practice. It was obvious this Waterbender knew what she was doing. She quickly moved out of the way of the attacks. She didn’t see the third attack. Her eyes widened in shock, and she knew she had to make a split second decision or risk looking like a fool during her own tryouts. Wouldn’t that be a big joke? So, she dropped to the ground, and the water sailed right over her head, but just barely. She let out a sigh of relief.

There was no time to waste, though, and she quickly spun her back leg around while she was on the ground, sending a wave of fire towards Kiat’s feet. After that, she put that foot on the ground. Putting her weight on it, as she stood up, she brought her back leg around and sent another kick towards her, but this time aimed at her stomach. She put that foot down, and then sent another kick, this time aimed towards her chest. With that, she stood back and got into a defensive position again, ready for Kiat’s retaliation. She noticed that her attacks weren’t clean, and made herself a mental note to ask her about that once the fight was over. That was the only thing stopping her from being amazing.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 9, 2015 20:53:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 9, 2015 20:53:05 GMT -6

A knockdown! It was something that was simultaneously disappointing and more than she dared hope for. Balancing extreme pessimism with extreme arrogance made for some odd emotions at times. Upon seeing that Ren'ai had dodged the strongest of her three-pronged attack Kiat felt a fear that her bending days were behind her.

Kiat instinctively patted her right hip where a metal cigarette lighter rested in her pocket. Other than the ultra-handy ability to light her cigarretes it also served as a reminder not to be too afraid of fire but to always respect it's destructive power.
She was reminded of her old boyfriend and team-mate's long-winded speeches about fire and humanity's instinctual fear of it being the best weapon in his arsenal and tried to fight all the instincts that told her to run or dodge...not that either was an option given the intense pain in her knees and right shoulder.

Kiat's body wanted to jump the arc of flame hurtling towards her feet but her mind knew that her damaged knees would not be able to take the strain. She ignored her healer most of the time but Kiat knew that at present her knees could not take the pressure of a jump...or at least landing one.
The wounded, aching water bender jumped and dodged the arc of flame but chose to land with a loud [i/]THUD[/i] mostly on the balls of her feet and palms of her hands. It seemed about as graceful a landing as an elephant koi thrown from a flying airship, but while her hands hurt her knee was fine.

She rose just in time to see a flame heading toward her stomach but managed to weave into an awkward side-stance so that the only half of the flame hit, though it still hurt. Kiat felt like she had been taking on an entire team single-handed and knew that she would most likely spend the next few days aching horribly but despite that she had to smile. She was bending again. Not since before the Equalists attacks with her old minor league team had she been able to do so either mentally or physically.

When her mind registered Ren'ai's fireball barreling towards her chest Kiat smiled. It was a beautiful, textbook example of a perfectly placed shot to the chest. So centered that it didn't matter which way she weaved to avoid it, it was the kind of precision that tended to rattle some. It reminded her of her training armor with a bright red bulls-eye painted on the chest. Kiat knew that if her knees could take it she could dodge it. She kept her left leg forwards and twisted it in conjunction with her right leg in the back and her torso until she took on an awkward but difficult to hit stance. The fireball skimmed her but did not hit.

Almost a year without serious exercise along with developing a smoking habit did no favors for Kiat's stamina. Too much time was spent wishing to play this sport she loved instead of practicing as well as not taking he healer's advice about physical therapy to heart. She felt enough chi left to launch one or two more attacks.

The first attack was a straight and powerful jet of water while the second lied in wait just behind it but moving faster. Like the earth bender she had faced earlier Kiat's strategy was based around throwing off the timing of her opponents. While Yutaka had used the elementary method of physical feints Kiat was versed enough in he element to vary the speed of her attacks while in motion.

She leaned into the second attack to fiercely that Kiat ended up face down on the ground sighing heavily into the stream of water she had been previously using as ammunition. The exhausted and hurting former minor-leaguer rolled onto her back and stared up at the sky for a moment, not caring that she had nothing left in her to carry on.

Not once had Kiat ever had a referee call a match because she couldn't continue but the words had barely left her ears before she vowed that it would never happen again. Losing was fine but she couldn't stand the idea of being deemed too weak to compete.

For a reason she couldn't fathom the earthbender that she had humiliated offered his hand and helped her to the side of the bending area. He even offered one of his infinitely more fancy cigarettes to her when it became apparent she had crushed her pack during the match.
She tilted her head upwards and sighed out a stream of smoke.
"So, that's the strength of a pro, huh?" She asked with a smile to no one in particular.

Kiat trudged her way towards Ren'ai but she'd be damned if the woman how trounced her was going to make her look even more feeble.
"No trash talk this time. That was a great match." Kiat paused and put aside her wounded pride at losing, as a result her words became less begrudging.
"It was like fighting a volcano." Weakly, she put her open hand against the closed fist of the opposite hand and bowed her head. "Thank you for the opportunity." Kiat felt like a fool but she had to smile at Ren'ai. "And thanks for reminding me why I love this sport."

Post by Gia on Feb 23, 2015 12:27:08 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai tried to analyze Kiat’s movements instead of just treating her like an opponent. As she had been remarking throughout the entire fight, the Waterbender was very skilled. With every movement she made, the dark-haired young woman was sure that she was either out of practice or hurt. She couldn’t quite make up her mind about it. Her dodging was a little… awkward looking. She was dodging, though. The young woman made a mental note to talk to her once they were done, because if she was going to offer her the Waterbender position on their team – and she was fairly certain of that – than she needed to make sure that Kiat knew what she was getting into.

Ren’ai turned out of the way of Kiat’s attacks and saw not one but two attacks just barely skimming her. That had been sneaky. The Firebender was about to retaliate when she noticed that her opponent was lying face down on the ground and apparently calling the match. Yutaka was going over to help her up, and the dark-haired young woman seriously thought now that she had to be injured unless she was extremely out of shape. Yutaka was out of shape, though, and even he could get through a match. Maybe the answer was both? She reminded herself to ask before judging, though, and made a mental note of everything so that she could tell Yuri about it.

Kiat asked, smiling, if that was the strength of a pro. “Yes,” Ren’ai said, returning her smile. “One who had to work to get back into shape after losing in the Quarterfinals and feeling a bit defeated, for lack of a better term.” She took a deep breath, trying to calm her breathing back to normal. She started stretching a bit, because she didn’t want to have any injuries or be more tired than she needed to be. “That was a great match. You have a lot of skill.” She saw her opponent bowing to her, and returned the courtesy. Despite whatever faults she may have, the woman was skilled.

“I have to ask, though. You are by far the most skilled person here,” Ren’ai told her. “However, you’re obviously not playing at full power physically, so to speak. So, what is it? An injury? Are you just out of practice? A little bit of both?” She shrugged her shoulders. “I couldn’t quite figure it out, but if I’m going to offer you to the position, I do kind of need to know. Because you have to know that it won’t get any easier from here on out if you decide to take it.” That was her way of saying that it was hers if she wanted it, providing that it wasn’t something serious that she couldn’t work with. “Of course, you’ll need to do this again with Yuri, our Earthbender to make it official.”
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Feb 23, 2015 12:27:20 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai tried to analyze Kiat’s movements instead of just treating her like an opponent. As she had been remarking throughout the entire fight, the Waterbender was very skilled. With every movement she made, the dark-haired young woman was sure that she was either out of practice or hurt. She couldn’t quite make up her mind about it. Her dodging was a little… awkward looking. She was dodging, though. The young woman made a mental note to talk to her once they were done, because if she was going to offer her the Waterbender position on their team – and she was fairly certain of that – than she needed to make sure that Kiat knew what she was getting into.

Ren’ai turned out of the way of Kiat’s attacks and saw not one but two attacks just barely skimming her. That had been sneaky. The Firebender was about to retaliate when she noticed that her opponent was lying face down on the ground and apparently calling the match. Yutaka was going over to help her up, and the dark-haired young woman seriously thought now that she had to be injured unless she was extremely out of shape. Yutaka was out of shape, though, and even he could get through a match. Maybe the answer was both? She reminded herself to ask before judging, though, and made a mental note of everything so that she could tell Yuri about it.

Kiat asked, smiling, if that was the strength of a pro. “Yes,” Ren’ai said, returning her smile. “One who had to work to get back into shape after losing in the Quarterfinals and feeling a bit defeated, for lack of a better term.” She took a deep breath, trying to calm her breathing back to normal. She started stretching a bit, because she didn’t want to have any injuries or be more tired than she needed to be. “That was a great match. You have a lot of skill.” She saw her opponent bowing to her, and returned the courtesy. Despite whatever faults she may have, the woman was skilled.

“I have to ask, though. You are by far the most skilled person here,” Ren’ai told her. “However, you’re obviously not playing at full power physically, so to speak. So, what is it? An injury? Are you just out of practice? A little bit of both?” She shrugged her shoulders. “I couldn’t quite figure it out, but if I’m going to offer you to the position, I do kind of need to know. Because you have to know that it won’t get any easier from here on out if you decide to take it.” That was her way of saying that it was hers if she wanted it, providing that it wasn’t something serious that she couldn’t work with. “Of course, you’ll need to do this again with Yuri, our Earthbender to make it official.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 14, 2015 22:10:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 14, 2015 22:10:02 GMT -6

Before the accident Kiat like sleeveless shirts and short, whatever she could move in. In the time since then she developed a liking for pants and long sleeved shirts.
When Ren'ai asked if she was injured or out of practice Kiat didn't know how to answer verbally. She merely pulled up the leg of her black pants to above her knee and displayed the various scars that resulted from several surgeries and healers.
"My boyfriend and I got caught up in the Equalist attack. We were in a building..." she paused and decided that this stranger didn't need to know exactly what she and her boyfriend were doing when the debris started falling. "...there was a boom and suddenly there were rocks and wall pieces everywhere. I survived because my boyfriend was covering my body and took most of the damage. Broke some bones and I've been in rehab ever since. My arms and legs still hurt but not playing this sport again isn't an option. It's my breath of life and it's about time for me to fill my lungs again."
Kiat smirked out a puff of smoke while laughing at herself. She felt like she was babbling.
"I'll need some time to heal after this walloping, but yeah...I would love to join. Thank you."

After writing down her contact information on a torn piece of one of Yutaka's fliers Kiat gently banged on Yutaka's shoulder. "Work on your feints and timing and don't let your opponent push you around." For a moment Kiat thought she might be lost in a dream and her words to Ren'ai were as much to herself as they were to her future teammate.
"I will get better. Teams will fall by the dozens. Ash left in our wake."

Hearing Kiat spout a haiku dissipated any lingering resentment Yutaka had towards the Dragonhawk's perspective waterbender and seeing her raise her fist as she walked away yelling "Dragonhawks!"set his opinion in stone.

For a moment Yutaka thought he might have been more excited about Ren'ai having a complete team than Ren'ai but realized that couldn't be possible.
"We have to celebrate! This is...wow, we just have to do something. A team! You have a team! I mean, if she gets past Yuri and Yuri's really good but I think Yuri..." The excited earthbender took a breath and decided to throw up his hands and condense his feelings down one one word. "Excited!"

Now that the rush of competition and good news were starting to fade Yutaka's noticed that while emotionally he felt like he was riding a dragon to Wan Shi Tong's library physically he felt he was stomped upon by that same dragon.
"I don't know about you but I could so with a hot bath and a meal." He nervously ran his fingers through his newly shortened hair and tried to think of a way to float the idea of spending the rest of the day at a hot spring without sounding like a pervert.
"Um...hot spring? I mean, I'm achey and I assume you are too. We can soak for a while and get massages."
He chuckled at his own nervousness. "I re-read 'Dao Ming Wei and the Hot Spring Bandit' the other day and since I get all my good ideas from young adult books I thought it might be fun. We can celebrate your new team and pre-celebrate my successful interview with Kirin Publishing."

Yutaka placed his hand on Ren'ai's shoulder but it didn't feel appropriate and transitioned that gesture into a hug. "I'm so happy for you. And this gives me confidence about getting that job. I think things are falling to place for us."

Post by Gia on Apr 7, 2015 14:08:10 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai nodded as Kiat told her story about how she had been injured. It was terrible, and she couldn’t imagine what this woman had gone through. As the Captain of the team, though, she wondered if she’d be able to handle it. The next season would be here before they knew it, and they needed to be prepared. Would she be ready? Would her body be ready? She wondered about that, but she trusted that Kiat wouldn’t be here if she thought she could never do it. No, that wasn’t true was it. She needed to do this, and that might be powerful that any healer.

Ren’ai took Kiat’s contact information. “I will be in contact for sure,” she told her. “I suggest we meet up in a week or so with Yuri. I’ll talk to her when I get home today.” She could imagine how excited how her best friend would be. Besides, Yuri had always wanted an all-female team. Now she had one. Yutaka was more than excited, and the Firebender didn’t blame him in the least. She wondered why she wasn’t jumping up and down in excitement. Then again, that wasn’t really her style. There was, nonetheless, a smile crossing her face that she wasn’t sure would come for quite a while.

Ren’ai turned to him. “Yes, I do have a team,” she told him. Despite how happy she was, there was a sense of foreboding – as if this was good to be true, and she shouldn’t get too happy. If she did, then it would all get taken away because Kiat would leave or her injury would prevent her from competing. There would be something, because they never had a Waterbender that stuck around. Luckily, she didn’t seem like the kind of woman that would be pushed around by anything or anyone, not even her. “And it’s not ‘getting past Yuri’ so to speak, but she’s a member of the team, too, and deserves to also have a say in who does or does not get on the team.”

Ren’ai took a deep breath, because for now at least it was as if a weight was being lifted off her shoulders. One problem down, and that was all that she needed for now. Yutaka wanted to celebrate, and he was right, they should. He suggested the hot spring before hugging her. “That sounds like a great idea,” she told him. “It’s been a very long time since I’ve been there. We could both do with a little pampering.” He seemed more and more confident, and she liked that. “Your interview will go great, so don’t even think otherwise. Things are absolutely falling into place.” With that, she began to make her way out of the park.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2015 1:14:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2015 1:14:13 GMT -6

Ideally, hot spring resorts were located outside of town away from the noise and light pollution of the city where one could meditate or stargaze without interuption. Luckily, Yutaka was very much a city boy and didn't mind such things. He almost apologized for not whisking Ren'ai away to one of the nicer springs or some place exotic like Ember Island but decided it wasn't necessary. Ren'ai had a way of short-circuiting his self-deprecation at times and enhancing it in others.

My parents have a tab here," he said once the resort had come into view. "No need to hold back."

What the Repun Hot Spring Resort lacked in the rustic charm found in some resorts it made up for in convenience. Earth, water and fire benders were utilized for baths of both water and sand. "If you haven't been buried in warm sand it's much nicer than it sounds."
Making a series of pained grunts Yutaka managed to sign in the two of them and reserve a room. He handed Ren'ai a pamplet of the resort's services and hoped she would take advantage of one that took a while. In addition to healing his own battered body Yutaka wanted to add something extra to make their time together even more enjoyable...something that didn't involve his parents' money.

While his mouth mentioned something to Ren'ai about taking a long bath and getting a massage Yutaka's eyes kept focused on the phone behind the counter.
"Meet you in room 11 in an hour? Sound good?
Even with his parents footing the bill Yutaka fought the urge to fill the room with flowers or other expensive things. Before he started his hot bath Yutaka used the courtesy phone and called the one person in the entire world that owed him a favor.
It was Yutaka's nature to worry but the hot bath, massage and healing in a whirlpool using two waterbenders one to heal, one to keep the water moving made his worries easy to forget. Even though almost everyone else was wearing a robe Yutaka felt odd in his since it seemed like everyone else looked better in theirs. It made him feel better that everybody else would have the same feeling when Ren'ai showed up in her robe.

Room 11 had simple wooden floor and overlooked a meditation garden which Yutaka could manipulate from behind the window. Sandbending wasn't his best skill but he could make a pattern of concentric hearts. In the back of his mind he worried that the people he had called would not show up. He was happy simply spending time with Ren'ai but felt an obligation to make things as good as he could even if it meant using his parent's money as well as favors owed from friends.

"So..." Yutaka said with a huge smile. "What do you want to do? I don't think I'm up for any pro bending, though."

Post by Gia on Jul 30, 2015 17:00:36 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai smiled as Yutaka told her that his parents had a tab here and that there was no need for her to hold back. ”Don’t need to tell me twice,” she told him. He mentioned something about being buried in warm sand. “I’ll take your word for that.” It didn’t sound nearly as inviting to her, but she trusted her boyfriend’s judgement. He asked to meet up with her in an hour, and smiled and nodded at him. “Sounds good to me.” It had been a while since she had been to the spa, because she had stopped doing such expensive things when she and Yuri had moved out on their own.

Ren’ai made herself busy for the next hour, getting a nice massage and just relaxing. It felt good to just do nothing for a while. It came time to meet Yutaka, so she tightened her robe and made her way to Room 11 where he said he’d meet her. She walked in and smiled at him. He asked her she wanted to do, and then made a comment about not being up for Probending. “We’re not exactly dressed for that, either, now are we?” she asked, with a smirk playing on her lips. “We don’t have to do anything.”

Ren’ai looked around, and walked over to observe the meditation. “This is a really nice place,” she commented. “It’s been so long since I’ve been to a spa. I had to cut out unnecessary expenses like this when I moved out of my parents’ house and stopped using their money. Yuri would have killed me if I’d tried to spend money on something like this. She had enough problems cutting me off of my shopping.” She shrugged her shoulders and looked at him. “Thanks for this, it’s wonderful.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 16, 2015 19:04:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 16, 2015 19:04:28 GMT -6

REPUN HOT SPRINGS

Ren'ai's words of thanks left Yutaka speechless for a moment and he felt like he could stared at her silently like an idiot for the rest of the day and still be content.
But he had other plans which necessitated he not be an immobile mute.
"I-I'm glad. You deserve nice things to happen." He took a deep breath and tried to think of the correct way to phrase a request of his girlfriend without sounding like a lewd creep.
"As a man I have certain needs..." Yutaka hung his head and exhaled something which sounded to him like the unholy hybrid of a sigh and a growl.

He took a breath a tried again. "That is to say, um," Yutaka paused and reached inside the brown leather satchel he kept his drawings in and produced a small pouch and clutched it to his chest as if it could ward off his insecurities. "I was hoping that you might do me the honor of...and you can say no if you want because it seems like an odd request and perhaps something not becoming of a lady." He almost stopped speaking then, wondering if he had the breath to continue.
"Um, this is my roundabout way of asking if I could" He reached his hand inside of the pouch and produced a hand ful of small, colorful bottles. "Paint your toenails for you? Does that sound lewd? I'm starting to think it does. It's just...I love you and I love to paint. Sometimes if you mix two colors you like you get an even better color, right?"

When someone from room service opened the door Yutaka let out an alarmed squeak which he assumed was even less manly than requesting that he paint his girlfriend's toenails.
An ornate pot of Golden Monkey tea was placed on a small table and steeped while Yutaka chuckled at himself.
"It's funny...you make me nervous sometimes but it's never a bad thing. So, uh, tea and toenails, then?" He poured her a cup of the red-orange tea and sat down on one side of the table. "How have things been, Ren'ai? Have you been taking some time for yourself or just working and training?"

Post by Gia on Aug 24, 2015 17:49:21 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren'ai gave Yutaka a warm smile. It was nice to have someone in her life who thought that she deserved nice things. Isn't that what every girl wanted? A guy who was nice, sweet, and thought she deserved nice things? At least that's what she wanted. His next words took her by surprise, though. The dark-haired young woman just stared at her boyfriend as he struggled to get the words out. She wanted to laugh when he actually said it, because she had been thinking.... well, something quite different, actually. Instead, the Firebender just smiled at him.

“You want to paint my toenails?” Ren'ai asked him. At that moment, some tea was brought in and she did giggle when Yutaka squeaked. “Yes, if you want to paint my toenails, go right ahead. I don't mind, and I love you, too. ” She smiled at him. It was sweet that he was so nervous. “I don't think it's bad. I think being nervous means you care, and that's absolutely a good thing. I'd rather you were like that then have my temper. Mine's bad enough for the both of us.” She remembered after the theater when she'd lost her temper, and it wasn't something that she was proud of.

Yutaka then asked how she was doing. “I'm doing fine,” she told him, “and yes, it's mainly working and training for me and Yuri. She's going to be so excited when I tell her that we have a new Waterbender for the team. Ichiro, our boss, is going to be excited, too. He's a huge fan.” He was only a few years older than them, which was kind of cool if you asked her. “Oh, did I tell you? He told me next summer that he's going to meet his mother's family at the North Pole, and he says if I can prove myself between now and then I can help out the Assistant Managers, Ami and Yang, while he's gone, but he knows my temper, so he wants to prove myself.”

Ren'ai understood – she was a hothead, and even Ichiro knew that as he and his father had needed to reign her in over the years. “I've been there for quite a while and by that point it'll be three years,” she explained. “And it's only temporary, you know, the month or so while they're gone. He told me I could tell Yuri, but not to spread it around just yet. He knows my temper, and wants me to prove I won't you know scream at someone or burn down the restaurant if I'm left in charge.”

Ren'ai shrugged his shoulders, and sipped her tea. It was really good. “I guess his dad doesn't want to go because that would be him, his mother and Ichiro all gone, and he's worried about the restaurants. Ichiro's grandfather, who's still technically the owner and all, said that he and his wife can help out and make sure that everything is going okay. Besides, it's not forever, you know?”

Ren'ai smiled at him. “So, what have you been doing lately? Oh, and before I forget, my parents want you over for a family dinner.”
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 24, 2015 19:27:46 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 31, 2015 15:48:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 31, 2015 15:48:10 GMT -6

Repun Hot Springs

While Ren'ai spoke Yutaka went about setting up a variety of nail polishes and tiny, pointed brushes for intricate designs and went about his work.
Just before Ren'ai had told him about dinner with her parents Yutaka had finished a stylized flame on the biggest toenail of her right foot.
It felt odd grasping Ren'ai's soft skin and thinking about her family at the same time.

Yutaka was used to passive aggression and coded language and tended towards looking toward critical subtext in people's words and actions. Ren'ai's family seemed to say what they thought which unsettled Yutaka a little but in a pleasant way.
He blew on Ren'ai's wet toenail before starting on the next.
"I'll let you know a good night after my interview. Is your whole family going to be there? I like your parents but the more people there are the less focus will be on me."

Ren'ai second toenail was quicky painted with blue and white swirling orb symbolizing air.
"You know I'm not used to people saying something without meaning something else."

After blowing the two painted nails dry Yutaka began on the Water Tribe symbol on the next toe which gave him a little trouble.
"Oh, you know me, he said in response to what he'd been doing with his time. "Painting, playing games, listening to music." He paused and chuckled. "I also found out that I shouldn't gamble. All of my losses at playing One Hundred Poets mean I owe my rival a mural." He let out an abrupt laugh again. "That's like you having a bending match if you lose a bet. So, I guess...no I can definitely say that things are good. Even my losses mean I get to do something I love."
The tiny earth symbol on the fourth toe didn't turn out as Yutaka had hoped but he gave himself a break, it was an awfully small toenail after all.

The final nail Yutaka painted black to symbolize void. It technically wasn't an element but with four elements and five different toenails the math just wasn't there.
The painting of Ren'ai's left foot went considerably faster as they were the same symbols.
"Ah, your temper's not a bad as you think it is. You'll do fine. Just...uh, I hope it doesn't take up too much of your time. Do you think you can handle that and probending AND a social life? Not to sound needy but...uh...I need you." Yutaka blushed and moaned at how foolish he sounded which resulted in painting Ren'ai's toes instead of toenails.

Post by Gia on Jan 5, 2016 16:39:40 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai frowned as she thought back to the conversation with her parents about having Yutaka over. “Um, honestly, I’m not sure,” she told him. “They just said ‘family dinner’, which means at least it’s just the two of us, my parents, and my little brother, since he, you know, lives with them.” She shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know if they intend to invite my older brothers and their families, too.” She just looked down at him, a small smile on her lips. “I can ask them next time I see them, if you want.” It didn’t matter to her, but she knew that it would make him more comfortable if he knew.

“And you actually like my parents? That’s a first,” Ren’ai said, smirking. “Most people don’t.” The Firebender listened to him tell stories about a bet he’d lost. “Yeah, you really shouldn’t gamble period.” Everyone had their vices, sure, but yeah… She found it amusing that he told her that her temper wasn’t as bad as she thought it was. A light chuckle escaped her lips. “My temper is pretty bad, you just don’t see it very much,” she told him. “Wasn’t it on one of our first dates that I was so pissed off about something that I blasted the sidewalk?” She nodded. “Yeah…”

Ren’ai smiled sweetly down at him as he told her that he needed her, and that he had faith in her being able to handle it when her boss left. “Thanks for the support, and don’t worry, I can handle it,” she told him. “I need you, too.” She continued to smile down at him as he blushed and she noticed that he’d painted her toes instead of her nails. “Um, babe… you’re going to clean my toes up, right?”
This user is Mod