The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

An Evening Out (Tags: Dharini, Lykka)

Anonymous
Dec 29, 2013 14:19:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 29, 2013 14:19:42 GMT -6

Rini had listened to Reina's story with interest as she'd continued eating her noodles, almost finishing the bowl by the time she was done.

"You got to train with warriors? that's really cool." She piped up, although Rini had to admit she didn't have much interest in being a warrior herself and had to admit she probably didn't really have the skills to do so. Especially when she thought about all the training sessions she'd had with her uncle so far, where she was just meant to be covering basics to learn to bend 'properly' that hadn't gone so well...
It seemed Reina had come a pretty long way to get here, much like Rini but then their motives were different, but then Rini did have to admit sometimes she didn't seem to quite 'get' how to act around people. She'd gotten better at it though since coming here, and working in the shop.
"So, where are you hoping to find a job?" She asked,

This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 29, 2013 18:59:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 29, 2013 18:59:13 GMT -6

As Reina told her story, Riku couldn't help but feel jealous. It was a little less overtaking than last time when she merely mentioned her living in both tribes, but a real good deal of jealousy nevertheless. To think she'd originated from one culture, had been forced into the other, and then brought back to the first... the young Swampbender would have loved to go through that. It might be a little insensitive to what Reina had wanted back then, but he wouldn't have minded being shipped to the North. Then again, she was a woman, and her parents had their reasons for sending her there. In contrast, male members of the tribe might not be allowed to go to the North Pole should they want to learn healing. "...That's customs, for you." He simply said, trying to feel sympathetic, rather than excited - she did not seem to be that thrilled by her experience, afterall.

He ate some more of his roast duck, and continued listening. It sounded like the South was very against letting women become warriors. He inadvertently let out a chuckle, thinking about his own mother and how he imagined she would react to being told off on becoming a warrior. "S-sorry, that wasn't intended for you." Riku apologized, winking at Reina. Picking up the bowl of rice he had so hungrily eaten out of, he tried to think of something a former warrior of the Southern Water Tribe could do. There were obviously a lot of opportunities for Waterbenders in the city, he was a perfect example of that. Anything war-related might be a little difficult on an administrative level, but he didn't know much about the subject. A few jobs came to mind that would probably not "suit a lady", which he scrubbed off as the ones not to mention. There were still a lot of daily jobs that were relatively calm and easy, but maybe to boring for a former warrior. If he thought about her trying to fit in Republic City more than in the South, he could only come up with three things.

"Law enforcement ? Fire department ? The hospital ?" He suggested.
Anonymous
Dec 30, 2013 0:14:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 30, 2013 0:14:43 GMT -6

Reina smiled at Riku's chuckle. "Oh? You know something about female warriors?" She asked curiously with a smile behind her eyes. She assumed that he must know how rare it was to find a female warrior from a water tribe. Reina then looked back at Rini. "It's funny you mention law enforcement Riku, I'm applying to the police department right now. Hopefully I can get into something, even if it's just a desk job." Reina had secretly hoped to become a detective or a private investigator but she realized that she had to be realistic.
Reina looked back to Riku and couldn't help but notice that he seemed to be responding a little strangely to her story. Was it jealousy? "You know, Riku, if you wanted I could show you some healing techniques." She suggested hoping that maybe that would make him feel a little better. After all, he had seemed interested in it the last time that they met. Reina briefly glanced around the restaurant again and noticed that many of the people had left and things were beginning to clear out.
Anonymous
Dec 31, 2013 15:24:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 31, 2013 15:24:38 GMT -6

Rini found herself wondering what the time was, she wasn't sure why it wasn't as if she wasn't enjoying the company it was far from it. She just had a general feeling of 'late' and also she knew her uncle hadn't made an appearance either, a worrying thought about how she'd get home came to mind that was quickly put to rest with the 'it's easy enough, remember?' thought. She didn't need babying. And it wasn't as if this was a 'bad' part of town...

"Oh, good luck with that," She said in response to Reina's plan to work with the police, it did sound like an interesting job, even working on the desk would probably be interesting as she finished her tea, realising it had probably cooled down a bit too much, but there wasn't a lot she could do, unless she was a firebender maybe...
Anonymous
Jan 1, 2014 13:51:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 1, 2014 13:51:16 GMT -6

Riku had it right with law enforcement, then. On that topic as well he could not give any advice, but he was certain that having southern warrior experience would play in her favor. Granted, the City was different from the way things ran in the Southern Water Tribe - although, since he'd never been there, the Swampbender could only guess that it was, and assuming he was right, he still had no idea to what extent - but in his opinion even working behind a desk would get more efficient with some of the warrior's knowledge. "I'm certain that you'll make it. I honestly see no reason why you wouldn't." He said to Reina with all the optimism in the world. It reminded him of the time when he first decided to look for a job after leaving his mother. Probending had been the first thing to come to his mind, but even he knew that it was more of a hobby, and that it wasn't a job that could provide a living... Yet, thinking some more, he wasn't sure how opening a flower shop had come to his mind.

As Reina was offering him a lesson in healing, Riku tried his best not to react too impulsively - and it worked. "Uhm..." was the only thing he was able to reply, wondering if she wasn't reading his mind a little too well, and then he put the bowl back on the table. Trying to piece together his decisions, he made the motion of picking up his cup, only to realize that he had forgotten to order a drink before going to the bathroom. Now feeling even more at a loss, he joined his hands in front of his face, a frown over his eyes and his lips bit together. 'It's like taking a bath in the sea. You just don't see the waves coming.' He thought, reflecting on the situation.

Bringing his arms back down and raising his eyebrows back to normal, he had a faint smile. "Thanks, I think I'll take you up on your offer one of these days but... seeing as I only take care of plants, Swampbending is all I need to heal them. So in a way, it might feel disrespectful to just learn for fun... or selfishness." He simply said. "That being said" he added "If you girls know of any herbalist recipes, or just medicinal properties of some plants that I'm not aware of, then by all means I wanna know. I could then make so many more people happy." And suddenly it hit him. That was the reason he became a florist. He wanted to combine his abilities with a way to make people's days brighter. Gardening and selling flowers was the simplest answer. And he had no regrets.

OOC: Happy New Year, best wishes and merriness !!!
Anonymous
Jan 2, 2014 2:44:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 2, 2014 2:44:26 GMT -6

ooc: You too

Rini thought about with this discussion about Reina looking for a job she didn't really know what she wanted to do. She'd been in the city for... two years now and although she felt she'd settled in fairly well, or at least into the section of the city she tended to find herself in which she knew probably wasn't that large she wasn't sure if she was going to stay here forever. But then, she wasn't sure if she really wanted to go back to living at home. It wasn't that it was a bad place, far from it. It was just kind of small.

She realised just then that she was also drifting off which was not a good thing to do when with company and so she tried her hardest to get her mind back to the conversation at hand, hoping neither Reina or Riku had noticed her drifting off, she was getting better at dealing with that problem she found.

"Hmm..." Rini racked her brain for a few moments stirring up what was left of her noodles, "I can't think of anything, but I'm sure if I ask my grandfather he'll know..." before she brought the last mouthful of noodles to her mouth.She had to admit, she did want to see this flower shop, and she realised making a reason to come there was probably more polite than just badgering him with questions about it.
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 2, 2014 2:48:15 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 2, 2014 12:08:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 2, 2014 12:08:16 GMT -6

Ooc: Happy new years to you too!

Reina smiled at the Riku. "Makes sense, I'm more than happy to teach you whenever you feel the need," She replied. Reina briefly wondered what it was like to heal a plant. Was it like healing a person? Could you feel their life, their energy? Reina focused back on the group and looked to Rini. She seemed a little distant, as if her mind was on something else. Then, Reina noticed that Rini's uncle hadn't shown up again. Rini had said it was common for him to be late, but this wasn't just late. He hadn't even shown up. 

As Rini looked like she had come back to the group Reina decided she should ask her about it. "So, is your uncle going to show up?" She asked, hoping she wasn't prying too much. Reina knew that being in the downtown area alone wasn't any fun. Especially for young women. She was sure Rini could handle herself but having a friend with you couldn't hurt. 
Anonymous
Jan 3, 2014 10:01:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 3, 2014 10:01:11 GMT -6

The food on the table was making itself scarce now, which was a little strange to Riku because it hadn't felt like they'd been eating that long. Then again, they hadn't ordered a huge feast. Besides, Riku wasn't used to eating in a restaurant and having these portions for a meal. His usual food consisted mainly of vegetables and fish, with the occasional noodles when he got the motivation. He looked at Rini eating up the last of her noodles and looked at the two, perhaps three bites of duck that were left in his bowl, and then at the one mouthful of rice. Maybe it was his natural gluttony speaking, but he wanted to eat more. And he was kind of thirsty.

Reina's question about Rini's uncle still not being here caught the Swampbender's attention. The same thing had happened last time, had it not ? That did sound unfortunate, even though thanks to the uncle's absence they had been able to spend good dinner time together, and it had been very enjoyable. Perhaps he was just a little too busy with his probending work. Riku knew just how much of a hassle it tended to become. Still, it was no reason to make his own niece wait so long... But the young man wasn't going to say what was on his mind, it could come out insulting. Nobody was perfect, it was not his place to judge anyone. So he just finished his rice and his duck, clearing the subject from his head.

Spotting a waitress pass by, he lifted his hand to get her attention. "May I have one mango juice, please ?" He asked nicely. It's only as she walked away with a nod that he realized he could have asked for three desserts. At least so they could wait on Rini's uncle a while longer.
Anonymous
Jan 3, 2014 13:44:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 3, 2014 13:44:51 GMT -6

"Well... he was supposed to be here..." She tried not to sound too panicked when she spoke although she had a feeling her voice betrayed her a bit, she didn't need anyone to worry she'd be fine. Her grandparents probably wouldn't be happy if they found out (which they probably would) but then that would be directed at him not her as what was she supposed to do?

"I'm sure he'll show up though, if not I do know my way back home, it's not that far." She said with an offhanded shrug, trying to play it off that it wasn't a big deal. That she was a confident city dweller and not someone who was really a kid compared to the two people she had ended up having a meal with

Rini was sure she just said that to try and reassure herself, as she was pretty sure even she wouldn't have believed her.
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 3, 2014 13:50:49 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 4, 2014 17:30:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 4, 2014 17:30:14 GMT -6

Reina looked at Rini with concern. "I can wait you with you awhile until he gets here," she offered. Reina knew that it was late and cold out, add that to the anti-bending sentiment some people seemed to have and it just wasn't safe to be alone at night. Reina had an uneasy feeling about being alone at night in the city herself. Maybe Rini is more comfortable with being alone here than I am? She quickly shook the thought off as she realized that she shouldn't be so quick to leave a friend alone.

Reina looked over at Riku and raised an eyebrow, as if asking for his input in the matter. She wondered if he thought that it was a bad idea to leave her alone here as well. Reina's mind briefly drifted back to her first night in the city. A group of men had tried to attack her and a friend near this part of town. Surely Riku would agree with her. Or maybe she was just being a silly newcomer. Better safe than sorry, she thought.
Anonymous
Jan 5, 2014 6:49:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 5, 2014 6:49:17 GMT -6

"Yes, I think Reina's right." Riku responded after noticing Reina's look at him. "I can stay too, it's no issue to me either. It wouldn't be very friendly to leave you alone at this time" And besides, her uncle might just be on his way. The young Swampbender kind of wanted to meet him now. Knowing what he did for a living, they might have met once in the past and Riku wanted to find out for sure - if they hadn't, then perhaps it was time they did... At least sometime before the next season began. "You know, if there's one thing this city can tell you at night, it's that if you think you're safe walking alone, then you're probably not safe because you're probably not alone." The young florist said.

His mango juice was brought to the table. "Oh, thanks..." He replied to the waitress. Bringing the cup to his lips, he took one sip that washed down all the dryness of his mouth and quenched him so well that he suddenly got overtaken by the urge to sip it all in one go. But he refrained from doing that. It would just kind of be wasting the drink. "Oh by the way, do you girls want dessert ? If we're gonna stay, we might as well eat." He suggested. Although he was not sure what kind of dessert would suit them. He was most interested by the egg custard tart just like last time - but they were just so damn good... although a size for three would be a bit more expensive. Well, any kind of pie was good for him, anyway. "My treat." The young man offered.
Anonymous
Jan 7, 2014 12:59:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 7, 2014 12:59:52 GMT -6

Rini had to admit, the idea of staying a little longer with Reina and Riku did actually sound like a good idea... and maybe having one or both of them walk with her at least some of the way home was a reassuring though.

"Really? That's very kind, I mean if it's not too much trouble," She said, trying to sound as offhand and causal about it as possible moving a lock of errant hair behind her ear again. She did wonder what was holding her uncle up this time, she never quite found out what happened last time, something to do with work apparently, or the training or something. She guessed whatever had happened the last time had happened again.

She thought for a moment about the offer of dessert... "What do you think Reina?" She did want to say yes, but felt it was best to see what Reina wanted just in case.
Anonymous
Jan 9, 2014 18:18:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 9, 2014 18:18:37 GMT -6

"I'm always up for something sweet," Reina replied. She was glad that Rini had decided to stay. It was also nice to have a relaxing among friends and a hot meal. Reina looked back at Riku and gave him a warm smile. "Thank you for being so generous," She said as she gave a slight nod. "Now all we have to do is decide on what we want." Reina's mind briefly drifted to when the restaurant closed for the night. It was dark out but it didn't appear to be too late. It was also considerably colder at night than during the day. Good thing I'm used to the cold, She thought to herself.

Reina took another look around the restaurant and then back at Rini and Riku. "Kind of off topic, but have you guys heard anything about people attacking benders in this part of the city?" Reina asked. She wondered if the men who had followed her and her friend were part of a larger group, or just some random citizens with anti-bending sentiments. This was the biggest part of why she didn't want to let Rini head home alone.
Anonymous
Jan 11, 2014 23:47:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 11, 2014 23:47:33 GMT -6

Riku clapped his hands at both their approvals. "Then it's settled." He said with a large smile, taking Rini's indirect response as a yes. They didn't seem to quite know what they would want to have for dessert, though. Fortunately, the young Swampbender already had a few ideas on what they should be having, all of which would probably, he hoped, please all three of them. "So, I was thinking about having an egg custard tart like I did last time. I can guarantee it's real tasty." He suggested first "Other kinds of pie work for me too, if you've got preferences. I've once been told that pie is the Earth Kingdom's typical kind of dessert anyway. Or, if you're up for something less elaborate, we can have a fruit medley. They dice up several fruits and serve them in this big bowl, covered in juice. Pretty sweet - my mom used to make some for me." One of the happy parts of his childhood, and most useful since he could now make his own.

"Oh, if you want a mix of both, we can just have cobbler. It should warm us up against the cold that awaits outside, am I right ?" He added, kind of cheerful. There might have been some other dish they'd be more used to, but part of the few things he knew about the Water Tribes, from his time with tribespeople when he was younger, was that they didn't have desserts - at least 10 years ago they did not.... Reina asked a question a little out of the blue. All the paranoia that the young florist had managed to get over last time was just itching to come back and take him over. It sucked, but at least now he kind of knew how to deal with it. First step was to not be in denial. "Yeah... People are starting to talk about it more and more. Getting scared, seeing evil everywhere, and sometimes looking for trouble."
Anonymous
Jan 13, 2014 16:51:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2014 16:51:07 GMT -6

Rini wasn't quite sure which dessert she would pick, they all sounded good. Very good and she was pretty sure she could feel her mouth watering a bit about it.

"It all sounds really nice..." She said as she tried to see if she could come up with some input on the matter, as it was proving harder than it probably should be about something like this.

At Reina's question she tried her best not to look uncomfortable, trying to put the twinge of nerves at rest about it, especially since she made a leap to her uncle.
What if he'd been attacked by someone? What if that was why he wasn't here? She didn't really have much way of knowing.
But she was sure he was fine...
Or she hoped he was fine
"I think I've heard a bit, from people who came into the shop... but I don't come around this area much, but it seems to be popping up everywhere,"
Anonymous
Jan 15, 2014 18:04:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 15, 2014 18:04:27 GMT -6

Reina thought briefly about the deserts. "I'm torn," She stated. "I don't know if I'm in the mood for custard or cobbler, they both sound good, but I've never had them." The closest thing that Reina had ever had to sweets was meat cooked in mango sauce. The water tribe really didn't worry about putting dessert on the table since people that lived in the tundra needed to eat more fatty fish and meats to stay warm. Reina scratched her head for a moment but failed to come up with anything.

Reina's mind then shifted back to the question she had asked. "Well, the only reason I ask is because when I first got here, a friend and I had several non-benders that gave us some trouble, they even seemed willing to fit us in a public space." As Reina told them this she noticed Rini's discomfort. She really hoped she hadn't freaked her out by talking about it. "I mean, I haven't had trouble out here since and I haven't heard about anything else happening, but I thought I'd ask," Reina added.
Anonymous
Jan 16, 2014 19:01:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 16, 2014 19:01:38 GMT -6

Riku nodded a little. "You wouldn't believe how chatty customers can get when buying flowers. I'm mostly glad none of them meant to offer them to injured victims or... lay them on a tombstone." He stated in an almost wise manner. As a matter of fact, he didn't think there were that many customers ever coming to get the kind of flowers to put in a graveyard. As far as he could gather from the majority of the demands, the people of his neighborhood were rather happy about their lives, and had good decoration tastes. Most of the time, in the past weeks, many of the conversations had been about the night time stuff that was going on during everyone's sleep.

It had been one of the main reasons he had just about dropped out of public appearance for a long time. He feared having his bending taken away more than anything, despite Amon's threat seemingly gone. That was due to the abduction of one of his former neighbors, who was a shop owner and whose entire establishment had been requisitioned for the revolution. Needless to say, when they met again and Riku learned of the story, he couldn't help but feel like a child needing the protection of his mommy again, because it was the first time he was confronted with a sitiuation where his bending would be of no use - at least according to that meat shop owner, who happened to be a proficient Waterbender.... But, his true emotions hidden inside his head, the young Swampbender shone a smile.

"Well, let's hope the future keeps things that way.... That is, you out of trouble." He spoke. Now, he wasn't sure whether to keep talking about this subject or to try and keep their mind on the dessert thing. They both sounded very undecided, and he didn't want to be annoying with his own gastronomical whims. But at the same time, the more he thought about it, the more he was craving it. This gluttony of his was probably one of his biggest habits.
Anonymous
Jan 22, 2014 18:02:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 22, 2014 18:02:58 GMT -6

(ooc: sorry for the delay, got a bit swamped with uni work)

"Hmm..." She said in response to Reina, "It's hard to choose isn't it?" Everything was really tempting, Rini had to admit she was drawn to sweet foods, probably a bit too much. And since moving to the city she'd been exposed to a lot of new ones, like twists on traditional foods and combinations of culture's foods....

She realized her mind was drifting again, and realized the conversation had shifted. And so she did her best to make it look as though she had been paying attention, hoping neither of them noticed that.

Rini wasn't sure if she had much to add to the conversation. All this stuff about equalists still seemed weird, although she'd been here a while. But then of course she'd grown up in a pretty small place, and she was pretty sure everyone got along... mostly.
It just seemed weird.

Anonymous
Jan 25, 2014 23:46:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 25, 2014 23:46:30 GMT -6

Reina looked at Riku and nodded her head. "I think people are more interested than gossip than sympathy most of the time anyways," she stated. "I'm just concerned that with the rumors of the galgori coming back more attacks will happen." Reina thought briefly back onto the news stories she had read about extremist groups who followed the old group popping up. Like the swampbenders many people in her tribe had treated the galgori as the stuff of legends and bedtime stories.

As Reina focused back on the present she looked towards Rini. "Well I'm thinking a custard sounds the best. What about you?" She said hoping that Rini would begin to look a little bit more comfortable. Rini didn't seem to be very aware of the threat that the equalists could pose to benders. It made Reina even more happy that she had decided to stay behind and wait for the girl's uncle. It definitely wasn't safe to be walking around, unaware of such a serious threat.
Anonymous
Feb 1, 2014 19:52:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 1, 2014 19:52:58 GMT -6

Wondering about how uncomfortable this conversation was going to get, Riku ran a hand over his mouth like there was some left over rice on it, and made a proposal that, he believed, might make the two girls feel safer in the future - he was namely thinking about Reina, who didn't really have family in the city like Rini, despite being likely able to fend for herself. "Look... I know how terrible it can be to feel in danger in such a big city. I've been there. And... kind of still am, to be honest." He started saying, doing his best to keep all the trustworthiness in his words. "So if you're ever in need of shelter, just come right to my shop."

His gaze went down to the table, and his fingers began fidgetting with the chopsticks he set down. "I'm no hero, so I won't promise you that I'll keep you safe in my flower shop. But I can tell you that it's a place that's out of harm's way. And if push comes to shove, we can push harder from there." Riku stated. He hoped his little speech was more encouraging than it was disturbing - because he was already thinking about the worst - but regardless, it had been said. One thing Riku had never realized, and would probably never realize until the day push did come to shove at his shop, was that as a Swampbender and a flower shop owner, he should be considered armed and dangerous to all who would do him harm.

For now he was only hoping he'd somehow managed to ease their hearts... How he wished someone had done that for him months earlier, though. It would have saved the young man a lot of anguish.