The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Nickels and Dimes [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Oct 19, 2013 0:47:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 19, 2013 0:47:28 GMT -6

"I like crime novels," Hyuk-jae admitted. "The only book I have is one. I've probably read it a thousand times." He laughed and stirred the soup. Nagisa rattled on about comic books, and Hyuk-jae shrugged. "I never read much of those," he admitted. "But I like novels." As his fluffy-haired friend said he could get a bookshelf and that he'd make room for him, Hyuk-jae smiled softly.

Did Nagisa even know what it felt like to have someone finally say they wanted him around? It was a new feeling, bright and small.

The soup was milky and savory, little green onions floating on top. Hyuk-jae had convinced Nagisa to make rice to go in his — after all, it was meant to be eaten with rice. The orange eyed young man just put one extra piece of meat in his own bowl, saying nothing about it. As they sat down he watched his friend take a huge bite — and laughed at the reaction.
"It's hot!" Hyuk-jae said. When Nagisa exclaimed over how good it smelled, he shrugged. "It's called sellongtang. It's pretty much a staple for a lot of families — a batch lasts a long time. We'll be able to eat it for days!" It was also nutritious and warm, but Hyuk-jae didn't feel the need to keep extolling its virtues. He blew on his own spoonful in an almost prim manner before putting it in his mouth.

"If you keep cooking like this, maybe I won't want you to leave!"

The Firebender smiled, blushing a little, not at all sure why that sentence made his stomach tighten the way it did. Nagisa was just fooling around! The soup had the proper nutty, rich flavour that came with marrow from bone. Hyuk-jae knew a second batch made with the same bones would come out even more milky, but he decided not tell his friend. Nagisa had thought it weird enough that he'd even bought the bones.

"You know this is bone soup, right?" he asked, eyes sparkling.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 20, 2013 0:21:52 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Nagisa's jaw dropped.

"You're kidding," he exclaimed, staring down at his soup and rice. The milky, slightly opaque broth looked innocent enough, little bits of vegetable floatingon the surface. How on earth had Hyuk-jae created soup from bones? "It's... it's like magic!" Nagisa looked up, his eyes wide. "It's like this story I heard on the radio, about this lady who created soup out of a stone! All they did was add vegetables and a bit of meat." Bone soup... stone soup... Maybe it was the same kind of magic.

He took a second helping of the seolleongtang, glad that there was plenty left over for future meals. "What else can you make?" the fluffy-haired young man demanded. "I like things that go with rice. Oh, oh, maybe I can ask my mother what kinds of things she made!" His gold eyes sparkled at the thought. There was this one dish he really enjoyed, a sort of rice porridge with chicken and ginger. He didn't suppose that Hyuk-jae could eat something like that, though.

Dinner passed relatively uneventful; Nagisa chattered away about the foods he liked, the shows that were on the radio, and fun things he wanted to do and places he wanted to go with Hyuk-jae. Having a friend was exciting. Sure, he had co-workers and people he was friendly with and went to lunch and stuff with, but a real, genuine friend to do THINGS and share STUFF with — that was something he hadn't had since he was a child.

After dinner, Nagisa helped Hyuk-jae clean up; Hyuk-jae washed, while Nagisa dried. When everything was clean and the left overs covered and put in the ice box, the two of them headed to the living room.

It was a little past nine in the evening: still too early to go to sleep, but they could probably get away with another quick nap.

"Hyuk-jae?" Nagisa asked, yawning a little. "D'you wanna take another nap?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 20, 2013 0:22:54 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 20, 2013 22:16:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 20, 2013 22:16:45 GMT -6

"Of course I'm not kidding," said Hyuk-jae, and then he laughed as Nagisa compared his soup to magic. The fluffy-haired young man mentioned the bone soup fable and the Firebender nodded, smiling. His mother had told him the same story — though of course he'd been meant to understand that the moral was that when people helped each other, good things happened.

Speaking of… Hyuk-jae eyed Nagisa for a moment, smile softening. "I'll make whatever you like," he promised, "if I can figure out how. I like cooking." It was enjoyable and he hadn't had the chance or money to really do it for such a long time. He wondered idly if he still remembered how to make pie. Nagisa was a sweet person, someone who liked sweet things.

The young man kept up a steady stream of chatter, telling Hyuk-jae all about the things he liked. The Firebender almost wasn't sure how to respond — did he even know what he liked? He knew what he wanted, but… he wasn't sure, thinking about it. In theory he liked crime novels and sky-blue paint and playing the guitar. They washed and dried the dishes together and Hyuk-jae listened to the cadence of Nagisa's voice, pleased and quiet.

When asked if he'd like a nap, Hyuk-jae shrugged. "I need to mend a little more," he said, "and I think your apartment could use a little cleaning. Do you usually clean it?" He was sure Nagisa was going to say he used a cleaning service. It was hard to imagine the young man cleaning his own place. "I don't mind a nap, though. I feel like I could catch up on sleep for a long time."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 21, 2013 2:22:35 GMT -6

Nagisa shook his head. "No, I don't. I mean, not really. I do the tidying and dishes stuff myself, but a lady comes in every two weeks for scrubbing." He draped himself over the back of one of the arm chairs, lazily dangling his arm off the edge. "I try to do stuff myself mostly, which is why I don't really eat stuff that isn't instant or tinned or rice. I wash most of my clothes myself, except the stuff that needs to be dry cleaned." He didn't mention that the first time he had tried to wash he'd put in a red shirt with white undergarments and came out with various shades of splotchy pink everything.

It looked like Hyuk-jae wanted to take over, though. "You're more than welcome to do it, if you want," said Nagisa generously. Or maybe not so generously, after all, the money he saved on the cleaning lady could go to buying stuff for the two of them! Er, wait, no. Hyuk-jae will leave eventually, remember? All right then, it could go to more clothes, if Hyuk-jae found his own place. Not if, Nagisa reminded himself sternly.

"Maybe you can mend after we wake up?" Nagisa straightened and grabbed Hyuk-jae's wrist, tugging him up the stairs and into the bedroom. Already in passable sleeping clothes, Nagisa flopped on his stomach onto the bed without preamble. "Mmmm~~" he murmured into the fluffy comforter. "This was one of the best things I bought, I swear."

Rolling over to lie on his back, the younger man patted the bed next to him. "Come on." It was already a matter of fact that Hyuk-jae would stay in the bed with him; Nagisa didn't even think anything of it by this point.

When Hyuk-jae began to climb into bed with his going-out pants on again, Nagisa shook his head. "We have got to get you some pyjamas!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 21, 2013 9:21:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 21, 2013 9:21:59 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae shrugged. "You can save money if I do it," he said. "I don't mind." In fact, he could probably keep the place in very good order and, probably because of his previous living situation, the idea of having a place to clean was exciting. He was about to say something about cleaning the floors in that case when Nagisa grabbed his wrist, hauling him off upstairs to go to sleep.

Well, he wasn't complaining. Getting enough sleep was a luxury he hadn't been able to afford. The healers had stressed to him the importance of a regular sleep-wake cycle before, telling him that making sure he got enough sleep and slept at about the same times per day would help regulate the seizures. As Nagisa threw himself onto the bed, Hyuk-jae pulled his shirt off and folded it up, setting it gently to the side.

"We have got to get you some pyjamas!"

Laughing, the taller young man ran a hand through his hair. "I feel like that's a waste of money," he admitted. "I never slept in anything, even when I was little. Why waste money on clothes for bed? You just sweat in them and it's restricting." He waved a hand at his pants. "I just thought you would prefer I had on something." And he didn't actually have any underwear. Mentally he made a note to purchase underwear and socks when they got paid next, as well as some undershirts. Undershirts would make the nice, new shirts he'd purchased last longer.

Sliding in between the covers, he sighed. "Do we have a normal work schedule?" Hyuk-jae stared at the ceiling. "We always have to be there at a certain time? It's better if I regulate when I go to bed and when I am awake. Before I didn't really have the option, but now…"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 21, 2013 21:06:41 GMT -6

Nagisa shrugged. "Honestly I don't care," he said nonchalantly. "If you're more comfortable that way, then go ahead! We're all adults here." He laughed.

"Do we have a normal work schedule?" Hyuk-jae stared at the ceiling. "We always have to be there at a certain time? It's better if I regulate when I go to bed and when I am awake. Before I didn't really have the option, but now…"

He lay on his back, arms up and crossed behind his head, staring up at the ceiling too. "The club opens at seven in the evening, every day of the week, barring important holidays or festivals. Aside from our days off — I tend to get up around two or so to run errands — we should arrive at the club no later than six forty-five, but six thirty is preferable."

Rolling over onto his side, Nagisa propped up his head with his hand and looked at Hyuk-jae directly. "Remember yesterday, when I said some hot shot showed up unexpectedly? That's why they want us to be there early. Rich people don't really seem to care about schedules and putting a business in a tizzy, if they show up and want something, they think that because they're paying they're entitled to whatever they want no matter how short notice it is."

Nagisa sighed, letting his head droop and his forhead touch Hyuk-jae's chest. "Of course, the managers allow it because without these guys we'd be out of work, you know? They tried imposing a rule that says you can't make special requests if it's thirty minutes til opening, but some of the richer folks don't pay any attention and wave extra money around. That said," he picked up his head and grinned, "that tends to mean we get to dress up and get extra money."

Yawning widely, Nagisa patted Hyuk-jae's stomach. "I~~~~~~~~ think I'm going to have to go to sl---eep now." He rubbed his fist in his eyes before settling against the plush pillow. He rolled onto his side, his knees partially drawn up and just barely touching Hyuk-jae's thigh. "G'ni--"

He was asleep before he even finished the sentence.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 0:34:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 0:34:25 GMT -6

He didn't care? With a sigh of relief, Hyuk-jae peeled off the trousers and dropped them out from under the covers and onto the floor. "Much better," he sighed, satisfied. When Nagisa gave him the run down on timing, he nodded. He'd have to work out a schedule for himself, then. Time for cleaning, cooking, and work.

Flicking his eyes over to meet Nagisa's, Hyuk-jae smiled faintly. "Yeah, well. Rich people." He shrugged his shoulders. In his time since leaving his parents, Hyuk-jae had met plenty of men who thought money bought them everything. "It makes sense. Those patrons keep the club going, especially if they are big spenders." He absently set his hand on Nagisa's head, thinking, his arm draped around the younger man. A big spender might be willing to pay a lot for private time, right?

That would make him quite a bit to put into savings. As for dressing up — "Ugh," he said. "I hope we don't have to do that often. I didn't like it." The kimono was ridiculous. Why couldn't he just, you know, wear normal clothing? He liked normal clothing. Plus, he'd just spent a small fortune on it… and there was the matter of new expenses, too.

About to ask Nagisa about the cost of rent and utilities, Hyuk-jae found himself cut off by his friend's sudden narcolepsy. Laughing to himself, he shook his head and closed his eyes, arm remaining around the curled-up Nagisa.

Sleep came quickly, no doubt due to a lack of it in recent months. When Hyuk-jae cracked his eyes open, it was dark. Quite dark, actually. What time was it? He moved to sit up and found himself pinned by Nagisa's arms, wrapped all the way around his stomach. "Ah —" he shifted a little. Nagisa had actually drooled on him a little in his sleep, which while slightly disgusting, was adorable. There was something in the way they curled together that seemed... different, special, somehow, and Hyuk-jae wasn't sure he understood his feelings. The Firebender carefully extricated himself from the embrace, sliding out of the bed and padding into the bathroom. Splashing cold water over his face he sighed, waking up.

A drink of water sounded perfect.

After dragging his pants back on, Hyuk-jae tiptoed down the stairs, carrying his shirts. Some of seams and buttons could do with reinforcing, and, curling up on the sofa, he set to it very quietly. Tea or coffee sounded perfect, but he didn't want to wake Nagisa. He wondered, idly, what they would do from one in the morning to... whenever they needed to go back to bed for work. Was he nervous about work?

The idea of flirting openly with lots of people didn't bother him, he knew that much. Perhaps it was the entertainment, the great scrutiny he knew he'd be under, that was giving him pause. Not so much pause that he couldn't pull it together, of course. Sliding the thread through his lips to make it more manageable, he hummed softly to himself.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 23, 2013 17:23:20 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 23, 2013 22:25:42 GMT -6

It was a strange sensation; Nagisa suddenly felt cold, and as if something were missing. He whimpered a bit in his sleep, curling into an even tighter ball. He dreamt that he had been at a carnival holding a large stuffed toy when it was suddenly whisked away by the wind.

He woke up suddenly, alone in a darkened room. He felt disoriented for a few moments before he realised that Hyuk-jae had left the bed. His mouth formed a little 'o' shape in surprise before he stretched and climbed out of the bed. Before going downstairs, he stopped by the bathroom to wash his face. There was a bit of crustiness on the side of his cheek, which always meant that he had drooled in his sleep.

Oh no. What if he drooled on Hyuk-jae?! Finishing his face washing hastily, Nagisa dried his face with a small towel as he made his way back to the bed, patting the pillows and then the mattress to feel for a wet spot. None.

Feeling mortified, he made his way downstairs, trying to act casual. Hyuk-jae was sat on the couch, doing something small and humming to himself. Nagisa cleared his throat.

"Ah — hey, did you nap well?" He decided not to say anything about the drooling unless Hyuk-jae did. "Whatcha doin'?"

Coming around to sit next to Hyuk-jae, Nagisa pulled his feet up on the couch, watching with fascination as Hyuk-jae pulled a thin silver needle with a string attached to the back in and out of one of his shirts. His golden eyes followed the needle on its path as it left behind little dash marks of thread. Hyuk-jae appeared to be very good at the task, all of the thread was very tight and evenly spaced.

"How d'you do that without nipping your finger though?" he demanded, leaning in a little closer to watch. "You must have practiced a lot!"

Growing bored of watching the tedious task, Nagisa jumped off the couch and headed to the kitchen. "D'you want a coffee?" he called back. "I'm gonna make some for myself."

He set the percolator on the stove and opened a cupboard. A large amount of chips, chocolates, and other sweets greeted him. "Do you want a snack, Hyuk-jae?"

But Hyuk-jae wanted to make the snack himself, so Nagisa shrugged and turned back to prepping the coffee. Once everything was ready, the two moved back into the living room. Nagisa switched on the radio to some soft jazz music.

"I think we can go back to bed for actual sleep around seven," he said. "Maybe we can just sit here, like this, for a while?"

Hyuk-jae seemed okay with it, going back to his mending; smiling, Nagisa curled up next to him and opened up a comic book.
This user is Mod