The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Nickels and Dimes [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Oct 12, 2013 16:03:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 12, 2013 16:03:31 GMT -6

Oh gods, was Nagisa going to cry? Hyuk-jae hadn't even been that mean to him! He hadn't said anything untruthful, had he? And he wasn't yelling or anything. He hadn't physically threatened him. As Nagisa gaped at him, the former newsie had a sinking feeling that this was all going to take a turn for the worst.

It was Nagisa who yelled first, denying that he had acted as if Hyuk-jae needed saving, couldn't take care of himself. How was it that Nagisa had the right to be mad at him?! Angered a little more, the taller man opened his mouth to say a few more choice words — but something about Nagisa's face stopped him.

"What is your problem? I was trying to help."

And there it was. The shorter young man burst into unsightly tears. As Nagisa asked him if he wanted to just go back to the apartment and again brought up his lack of pajamas, Hyuk-jae rubbed the bridge of his nose, sighing.
"I didn't say I was proud of sleeping in a closet," he said, voice still clipped. "I said I have some pride. I — I can take care of myself, Nagisa. I don't need someone to look after me. I don't need saving." Nagisa was treating him like a damsel in distress, as if he thought he had no way to take care of himself, couldn't handle life.

He could. He did. It just wasn't glamourous! Having seen how Nagisa lived, he wasn't surprised that the younger man was horrified. It just… hurt, somehow. And he didn't have time to examine his feelings. "Look, I grew up poor. I'm not used to having… huge places or a lot of stuff. It's not like I'm missing out."

"I- I- I- I just thought that you would like having a real bed for a change. Staying with a friend who cares about your wellbeing… I just wanted to help you. I thought ... I just ... I thought it would be hard to live in a closet all the time."

Of course. Letting out a soft sigh, the taller man rubbed the back of his neck. "Of course it's hard to live in a closet," he said. "And yes, I climbed all those stairs every day. But it was my space that I paid for, you understand?" When he left his parents he'd promised himself that he would not live off charity. He worked hard. It was one of the only good things he could say about himself, and Hyuk-jae clung to it like a childhood blanket. He had not ASKED for Nagisa's help. He could appreciate it, but it still grated.

"I'll... I'll just go now. You don't have to come to work or anything, I'll tell Madame that I scared you away."

Wait. What? When had he ever said he wasn't coming to work? He had walked out with Nagisa, with all his things! What he heck was going on? Jeez, this kid. Hyuk-jae didn't get it. "What? Come on," Hyuk-jae said, putting a hand on Nagisa's shoulder. "That's not what I meant." Or was this Nagisa's not-so-subtle way of saying he wanted Hyuk-jae out of the apartment but not in his own? "I never said I wasn't coming to work. What are you talking about?" Hefting his belongings, the Firebender frowned. "I can figure out how to pay rent for staying with you, just until I find my own place. Okay?"

If he kept some of his clients, as long as he did well with hosting he would be able to manage paying Nagisa part of the cost of renting the row house. He was sure it was expensive, but he didn't know what else to do. "I know it's not ideal, but I don't have anywhere else to go." Nagisa lived closer to the club, anyway. It did make logical sense. Hosting obviously paid well enough for him to handle it, and Hyuk-jae felt a little confident that he could earn well, too. Lee the Gentle always paid him very well for his services, and he was sure he could make the hours work. It would probably be easier than selling the paper and working late. "Don't cry," Hyuk-jae said. "There's no reason for you to be crying." He was the one who was insulted, here! "I'll make it work," he promised.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 12, 2013 16:56:13 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Nagisa turned at Hyuk-jae's touch and sniffed loudly, remembering belatedly that he had a handkerchief in his waistcoat pocket. He fumbled for it, and blew his nose.

"I-I-I-I-I-Ijustdonwanyouoha-a-a-meeee," he sobbed out with a hiccup. He liked Hyuk-jae! The taller man was fun, easy-going, and they got along. And they made good partners! Nagisa hadn't "clicked", as his mother would say, with anyone in the club like he had with Hyuk-jae the prior day. Sure, the other hosts and hostesses were nice, and he went out with Sayona sometimes outside of work, but Hyuk-jae was like a ... honest to goodness friend, and near his own age. He'd never really had any of those before.

"I just don't want you to hate me," he repeated, controlling himself and rubbing the already-soaked handkerchief on his face. "I wasn't trying to s-save you, honest. I just thought that, w-well, if we're friends, then as your friend I should do something nice!" He looked up at Hyuk-jae with his tear-stained face and wide, watery eyes. "I didn't think it was going to be bad!" He looked down again, lower lip quivering.

"What? Come on, that's not what I meant. I never said I wasn't coming to work. What are you talking about? I can figure out how to pay rent for staying with you, just until I find my own place. Okay? I know it's not ideal, but I don't have anywhere else to go."

Nagisa gulped and hiccuped again. "Y-you mean you'll still come to work?" he asked, a slow smile of happiness spreading across his face. "Really?"

"Don't cry. There's no reason for you to be crying. I'll make it work."

He nodded and hastily wiped his eyes, his smudgy face lighting up with a grin. "Okay," he said, a little congested and still a little teary-eyed. He tugged at Hyuk-jae's sleeve. "Don't be mad anymore, okay? You'll like it at my place, I promise."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 12, 2013 17:29:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 12, 2013 17:29:32 GMT -6

Blinking, Hyuk-jae stared at Nagisa. He… what? As the smaller man repeated himself, orange eyes widened. Oh. Hate? Wasn't that going a little far, though? The corners of Hyuk-jae's mouth turned up in an involuntary smile. "Don't be dramatic," he said. Honestly. As Nagisa went on about how he hadn't meant it that way, it looked like he might start crying again. Hyuk-jae didn't think he could deal with that.

"Look, let's —" he shifted his belongings. "Let's go back to your place, okay? I'm tired of holding this stuff." He wasn't quite finished being irritated with Nagisa, but that could wait. It was obvious that the young man completely artless when it came to understanding the real world. He might be a great host, but he had a lot to learn about friendships.

As Nagisa grinned at him, Hyuk-jae reached out, brushing a bit of moisture off the shorter young man's face. That slow, sweet smile of happiness warmed something in his stomach, and for a moment the thought of what kissing Nagisa might be like crossed his mind. Pushing away from him, Hyuk-jae cleared his throat. He needed more sleep! Obviously that was it. "Let's take a nap. We got up pretty early."

They walked some of the way until Nagisa insisted they hail a cab, citing Hyuk-jae's armload of belongings as a reason to need transportation. Honestly, Hyuk-jae didn't think his stuff was heavy, but he wasn't in the mood for more crying. The car ride was strangely silent, things awkward between them despite having mostly 'made up'. When they reached Nagisa's row house, Hyuk-jae got out quickly. He'd feel better after a nap, he was sure of it. Once they entered the place, however, he chewed his lower lip.

Should he just… put his things on the floor? Looking around, the Firebender tightened his grip on his red blanket. All of his things were wrapped up inside. "Where should I put these?" he asked.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 12, 2013 21:08:39 GMT -6

It was good to be home. Nagisa was exhausted, both physically and mentally. An early day wasn't really his style, and neither was fighting with someone. He hung the keys on the peg by the door, sitting on the inside step to take off his shoes and put on house slippers.

"Where should I put these?"

Nagisa looked up, a little confused. "Put... Oh!" He stood quickly, and once Hyuk-jae took off his shoes, led the way upstairs. A little past his bedroom was another door. "I, uh, put all of my... extra... stuff in here." He opened the door and led the way into a room with four metal racks on wheels, filled with hanging shirts, pants, and waistcoats; on the floor, in neat little rows, were different styles of shoes. Sheepishly, Nagisa rubbed the back of his head. "I, ah, have a little shopping problem, sometimes."

There was plenty of room to move around, even with the racks and shoes, and Nagisa led the way to an old-looking dresser that didn't match any of the other furniture in his house. It was short, the wood stained a cherry hue, with four stubby, single-knob drawers."This was one of the pieces of furniture from my room at my parents' house. I brought it with me when I first started renting the brownstone since I could only afford a bed at the time. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, though."

He ran his hand along one side, which was adorned with a faded, crude crayon drawing of a sailboat in the ocean and a smiling sun. "I drew this when I was little," he said, his voice tinged with nostalgia and a bit of congestion. "My dad had bought me my first set of crayons, and I wound up drawing on everything in the house." He laughed at the memory. "My mother wasn't too happy, especially when the crayon wouldn't come out. We wound up repainting the walls in the living room and my room, but somehow we never got around to sanding this down and refinishing it."

Patting the top of the little dresser, Nagisa smiled up at Hyuk-jae. "You can use this for now! At least, until we get you enough stuff to buy a bigger dresser. I hope..." he blushed. "I hope this is okay."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 12, 2013 22:18:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 12, 2013 22:18:29 GMT -6

Following Nagisa to the spare room, Hyuk-jae expected... well, he didn't know what. Nagisa was surprising to the Firebender, and the spare room was no exception. He gaped at the racks of clothing, staring at the fabric. It was practically a store in itself! Surely Nagisa couldn't possibly wear all of this. What what going on?

"A-- all this is yours?" Hyuk-jae couldn't keep the shock from his voice. His arms tightened on his red blanket bundle. The sheer excess of it was astonishing. Nagisa admitted having a shopping problem, and Hyuk-jae just nodded, speechless. "Do you... wear it all?"

He followed Nagisa to the dresser, trying not to stare. It was just so hard to believe! Following Nagisa to the dresser, he smiled. "You were a creative child, I guess," he said. Opening the top drawer, he set his two books inside. They looked so lonely in the empty dresser, so he put his comb and small tin of muscle salve in, too. The shirt he set on top — he had to wear it that night.

"I hope this is okay."

Mentally swearing he'd never own enough stuff to need a second room to house it, Hyuk-jae smiled at Nagisa. "This is fine," he said. His own things fit in one drawer. After all, he only had the one spare shirt. The new things were at the tailor, and the former newsie honestly thought that they were more than enough to get him by. "So, um —" Hyuk-jae cleared his throat and hefted the blanket, the only thing he hadn't packed into the dresser. "Should I just sleep on the floor in here, then?" He couldn't imagine Nagisa wanted to share his bed all the time.

The floor was plenty clean, Hyuk-jae noticed. There was a space in the middle of the room, so he went to set the blanket on it. He would fit just fine in here! It was a sight bigger than the closet, even.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 12, 2013 22:25:54 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 12, 2013 23:15:11 GMT -6

Nagisa laughed, not unkindly. "Sleep here? With the extra clothes? No way." He tugged on Hyuk-jae's sleeve, leading him out of the room. "We'll sleep in my bed, like last night. It's big enough for two anyway, and it's comfy." Pushing open the bedroom door, Nagisa twirled around, his arms outstretched.

"See. Plenty of space for the both of us."

He pushed open the window, letting the light afternoon breeze through. It wasn't too hot just yet, though Nagisa dreaded to think of the upcoming mid-summer months. Summer was his least favourite time of year; despite being a port, Republic City got hot during the summer. He was thankful he was still billed as the shota-type, and that the growth spurt his father vowed would eventually happen never did; he could still wear short pants and not look out of place.

"Ne, ne!" Crossing the room and into the bathroom, Nagisa pointed to the white cabinet above the toilet. "The extra body towels and hand towels are in here, if you need them." He pointed to next to the toilet. "We've got the bucket and the little pail to wash your... um, bits, if you need it, or if the toilet gets stopped up or the power goes out and you need to wash or something. Just be sure to refill it if it gets half empty or if it's been sitting for a couple of days."

He pulled open the cabinets under the sink. "There are extra shampoo bottles here, and some hair oils, and soaps, whatever you need. If we run low, there is a list stuck to the ice box so you can write down what we're running out of."

After pulling open all of the drawers by the sink — hair supplies, products, and styling tools, respectively — Nagisa showed Hyuk-jae the medicine cabinet (fairly empty save a bottle of aspirin and some boxes of herbal remedies for cuts and aches and bruises) and the linen closet (for new sheets and pillow case covers), then flopped down on the cushy bedspread with a flump.

"I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a nap." Nagisa yawned, then patted the bed next to him. "It's okay," he said. "I don't want you to sleep on the floor." Sleeping on the floor indeed. Nagisa unbuttoned his (ruined) shirt and chucked it into the hamper, along with his socks. He debated for a moment whether or not to slip out of his pants in front of Hyuk-jae. Feeling a bit self-conscious for some reason, Nagisa slipped back into the bathroom and came out in a pair of short pants.

Hyuk-jae was in bed already by the time he got back; yawning again, Nagisa set the alarm for two hours. It wouldn't do to sleep for too long and be unprepared for work the next night! The alarm set and on the nightstand, the young man crawled into bed next to Hyuk-jae, who, (half?) asleep, curled up next to him. Nagisa was startled at first, but then smiled. "Good night, Hyuk-jae," he murmured, snuggling down.

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 13, 2013 0:06:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 13, 2013 0:06:35 GMT -6

It seemed useless to protest, so Hyuk-jae left his blanket and followed Nagisa back to the bedroom. While the fluffy-haired host seemed eager to show him around, Hyuk-jae was mostly eager to rest. He paid attention to the details of where things were, but he had to admit that it was difficult when he was mostly thinking of bed. "I brought soap," he said, in reaction to Nagisa's cabinet. He hadn't used shampoo in ages before his shower at that very apartment. He just used regular soap on his hair, and said so.

The hair styling agents and tools mystified him. What did a body even do with all these things? A plain bar of soap did him just fine. Even growing up they'd used plain soap, because it was cheaper. He had no idea what a 'styling product' was, either. Shrugging, he followed Nagisa back out. The other man patted the bed, meaning they should sleep together again.

Laughing, Hyuk-jae pulled his shirt off. He was obviously not shy, and did not share Nagisa's qualms about undressing, though he wondered how Nagisa would feel about him sleeping nude. Not sure, he decided to leave his trousers on. Sliding under the covers in no time, Hyuk-jae laid on his side and closed his eyes. Sleep overtook him quickly, though when Nagisa returned to the bed, the shift in weight and warmth roused him slightly. It was enough for him to turn over, sliding an arm around Nagisa's waist and winding them together. Hyuk-jae tucked his head down near the nape of the other man's neck, and, once settled, remained in the same position for two hours.

The alarm pulled him from sleep, eyes blinking groggily. He was snuggled quite close to Nagisa, their hips pressed together. Smiling a little, Hyuk-jae stretched his fingers, closing them around Nagisa's hip. "Wake up," he murmured. "Apparently we're quite fond of each other." His voice was warm and rough from sleep, and he chuckled before rolling over, standing beside the bed. Lifting his arms, Hyuk-jae cracked the joint in his shoulder and groaned with relief. That left shoulder often complained, the joint stiff.

"I'm hungry, are you?" He wondered if Nagisa kept food around. Maybe they could go to the market! Finally having money, the Firebender was delighted by the thought of grocery shopping. He could get soup bones and real meat! Reaching for his shirt, Hyuk-jae shrugged it on. "I can't eat anything starchy, so I should probably go buy food, anyway. Is that okay?" He wondered where Nagisa shopped for food. Hyuk-jae's usual market was pretty far from the brownstone, and he said so.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 13, 2013 0:14:36 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 13, 2013 0:28:22 GMT -6

The alarm went off, and Nagisa shut his eyes harder against the sound. "Nyah..." he murmured as Hyuk-jae gripped his hip and woke him up. "Jus' five m're minnis..." But he opened a sleepy eye anyway, even as he snuggled closer.

Hyuk-jae smiled at him, and the younger man couldn't help but smile back. "I guess so," he said with a small laugh. He stretched like a little kid, making a soft squealing sound as he did so. He hated waking up from naps. Of course, napping should really not turn into sleeping, not with his work schedule. Slowly, reluctantly (for multiple reasons) he sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as Hyuk-jae asked what they'd do for dinner.

"Oh, shopping? Yeah, that's probably a good idea, I'll call the delivery service. I don't usually cook much at home, just like... miso soup, or onigiri or something." He had no idea what Hyuk-jae could eat, if not starchy foods (that was rice and noodles, right? He didn't know for sure).

He got out of bed, shivering slightly as his bare feet touched the cool wooden floor. He should really get a floor rug or something. Yawning again, he put on a slightly baggy pair of lounge pants and made for the door.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 13, 2013 1:07:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 13, 2013 1:07:08 GMT -6

"You — you use a delivery service?" But it was so expensive! And lazy! Hyuk-jae stared, pausing with his shirt half on. "But — that's — why?!" What a waste of money! He shook his head. Maybe his staying there would be more helpful than he'd thought. Nagisa seemed to need some help with managing a real life. "How do you live?" he asked, re-adjusting his trousers from their rumpled state. "Seriously, I've never known anyone who spent like you."

When Nagisa said he usually had onigiri or miso at home, the Firebender scoffed. That was hardly food. Snacks, at best, for most. What about meals? Didn't he eat breakfast? Hyuk-jae always assumed people who had enough money ate well. How wrong he was turning out to be!

"I can't eat onigiri. No rice or noodles, actually. No potato." Hyuk-jae finished pulling his shirt on and flicked his hair off his face. "No, wait. Come on. We'll just go to a market, all right?" He went to the door and sat, pulling his boots on. "I can get stuff and cook for both of us. It saves money, and you won't be a host forever. It'll be good for you." Hyuk-jae's mother had taught him to cook, and he knew from other people that his food was pretty good. Simple, maybe. Rustic. But he knew how to make balanced dishes that were good for the consumer, and he knew how to follow his diet. Making bone soup would last the two of them a long time, and provide nourishing breakfasts when they came home from work. Sighing, Hyuk-jae stood up.

"I'll cook," he repeated. "Let's find a market." Stepping outside, he waited for Nagisa with a determined air. Squaring his shoulders, Hyuk-jae resolved to find healthy, fresh things to help convince Nagisa of the benefits of eating at home.

The two hosts walked along the street, blinking in the sunlight. Hyuk-jae reached up, pulling his hair back into a fluffy, low ponytail and securing it with a black band that lived around his wrist. The longer pieces in front didn't quite make it to the ponytail, but it felt nice to have it up. Putting his hands in his pockets, he walked along next to Nagisa until they got to an open-air market. There were plenty of vendors selling produce, and Hyuk-jae walked over to a stand, looking delighted. He wasn't allowed to each much fruit, but a little would be okay. He chose bright red berries, sweet and plump, and bought just enough for one meal's dessert. That done, he took Nagisa's hand and pulled him away. "Come on," he said, "we need meat. And bones, we need bones." His eyes darted about, in search of a seller.

Hyuk-jae loved the market. It was full of amazing smells and interesting people, and he often liked to go and just...watch. It had also been a great place to sell the paper.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 13, 2013 1:19:39 GMT -6

"Well, yeah, I use a delivery service!" Nagisa bit his lip from asking why wouldn't I? After the events of earlier, it was probably something that the poor people in the Dragon Flats district didn't do. "I'm hardly home so I don't really buy a lot of food," he said instead. "Just a lot of Flame-o bowls, rice, maybe some tinned meats or something." After all, onigiri needed a filling.

He blanched as Hyuk-jae said he couldn't onigiri. Or rice in general. Or noodles. Or potato. How did he live? Nagisa ate those things like candy. And ate candy like candy. Mmm, candy.

Wait, what? The market?

"Uwah, a market?" Nagisa wracked his brains. "I think the closest one is the next district over? I — " But Hyuk-jae had already gotten dressed and gone out the door. The fluffy-haired boy puffed out his cheeks. The market it was.

In order not to keep Hyuk-jae waiting too long, Nagisa forewent his usual grooming routine, instead just wetting his hands under the faucet and running them through his hair. He made sure his eyes were clear of any sleepy-time gunk, then quickly donned a clean pair of dark brown trousers, a tan waistcoat, and a pale lavender shirt.

When they were finally on their way to the market, Hyuk-jae said something about needing bones. Nagisa looked up, almost running into a passerby. "Bones?" he echoed in disbelief after apologising to the person he nearly collided into. Wasn't that the part you threw away? "Uh, Hyuk-jae, I think..."

Just then they came across a market. Or at least, Nagisa assumed it was a market. It was loud, there were a lot of people shouting about this sale and that, the freshest whatever, and the smells. It seemed like some places also cooked food after you bought it. His stomach grumbled, and he looked around for the most likely place to get a snack.

Spotting a skewered meat stand, Nagisa tugged on Hyuk-jae's sleeves and looked up with hopeful eyes. "Can we get one?" he pointed. "I'm hungry."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 13, 2013 3:53:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 13, 2013 3:53:36 GMT -6

"Tinned meat and Flame-o bowls," Hyuk-jae said, "aren't really food." Nagisa and his outfit stood out a mile in the market — he was bright and colourful and absolutely adorable, but definitely not the norm. Hyuk-jae, in his black and white, blended right in. He was about to explain to Nagisa about the berries when the young man darted away, exclaiming over meat skewers. Hyuk-jae just shook his head. Nagisa was such a child, sometimes!

The Firebender never, personally, ate from stalls. They were too expensive and he'd never had money to spare — but also, he didn't know what they put on the meat, and he wanted to be careful. Especially now that he had a job that depended on being seizure-free, he always tried to be mindful of the diet. As horrible as he had been, the healer had been right about that. As long as he followed the diet, Hyuk-jae had seizures a lot less. "You can get whatever you want," Hyuk-jae said. "I'm buying food for the house."

He waited while Nagisa purchased a skewer, and then firmly took the fluffy-haired man's hand. "Come on," he said, "don't get lost." He took them to a butcher, where he purchased cheap cuts of meat and ox bones. Next up was a produce stand, where Hyuk-jae purchased the least starchy vegetables they had. He picked out things he knew he liked, feeling like the richest person in the world when he was able to pay for actual full cuts of pork. The tall young man's face was bright, clearly pleased. He couldn't wait to get back and start cooking!

Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae smiled. "So this is the market," he said. From the guy's wide-eyed stare, he'd never been to one before. "Is... this your first time going out shopping?"

He wasn't sure if that was sad or adorable.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 13, 2013 4:25:17 GMT -6

Nagisa bought a skewer and gnawed on the meat as Hyuk-jae grabbed his wrist and dragged him around the market. Which, probably, was just as well. Nagisa had never seen such a sight! His mother never took him to the market before, and his father never went. Something about strangers and candy.

He glanced around as fast as he could, trying to take everything in. Once or twice he tried to go off some direction to look at a thing, but Hyuk-jae kept a firm grip, even as he purchased bones (BONES. He still couldn't figure that one out) and vegetables. It was fascinating, though, how all the meat was laid out for everyone to see. If it weren't for Hyuk-jae's hand on his wrist and the skewer in his other hand, Nagisa would've poked the cuts of meat experimentally. They looked so smooth, and he'd never seen meat up close before it was cooked.

Hyuk-jae asked him if it was his first time shopping; Nagisa nodded, his hair bobbing with the motion. "Shopping for food at any rate. How do you tell if it's good food? I mean, look." He gestured down one row of stalls. "All of these guys sell pork. How do you choose which one to buy from? Or which vegetable..." Dealer? Salesman? "... er, person? What if they're ripping you off?"

Following Hyuk-jae around the market, Nagisa studied everything with interest: the way buyer and seller haggled over prices, the way sellers grabbed your attention by elongating their words or standing just barely in the walk way with a sample of their goods. He saw vegetables and fruit, milks and cheeses, jams and sauces. He had always gotten his groceries from a place that did delivery, and had never actually been inside. He had just asked his co-workers how to get food, and they gave him the number.

"Do you buy food all at once? Or a little at a time? How do you know how long it will last in the ice box? What — " he paused, diverted. "What is that?" He pointed to a fluffy, pink thing some child was eating happily. "Ne, ne, what is that?"

Nagisa stood on tip toe to look around and saw a man spinning white cones in a round metal thing, and coming up with the bright pink fluff. "I want to try that."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 13, 2013 23:31:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 13, 2013 23:31:09 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae had always gone to market with his mother. She had never trusted him to stay home alone, likely due to the fits, and because he never went to school, he always had to go with her. He grew up learning to haggle on prices and how to pick the freshest produce from a lineup. As Nagisa asked how he knew, he laughed.

"I grew up going to market with my mother," he said. "You can tell grade of meat by color. We're not visiting the highest grade places, anyway — no reason to. Middle-grade is just as good for you and cheaper, so we'll go there. Vegetable is different." As for what if they ripped him off, he shrugged. Hyuk-jae hadn't been ripped off in a long time, probably due to his education. The two of them moved on to eggs, and the Firebender gently ran his fingers along eggshells. "The bumpier the eggshell," he told Nagisa, "the fresher the egg, see?" He chose some and paid, extremely please.

Vegetables and fruits had to be felt and smelled, and Hyuk-jae was very picky. For once, he could afford to be. He had no doubt that the meals would be incredible — this area was richer than he was used to, and the stalls had higher-quality wares. It was almost intoxicating! How could Nagisa just let someone else choose his food? Part of the joy of cooking and eating lay in the decision and the haggle, at least for Hyuk-jae. Nagisa badgered him with questions about how he knew how long things would last, or whether or not he bought everything at once.

"Well, like I told you — I grew up doing this," the Firebender tried to explain. "It only takes a couple tries to figure out how long things last. I never had enough money to buy everything at once." Shrugging, he paid for some turnips. "I always just bought what I could. This time I'm buying about enough for a week's worth of meals. We'll have to come back next time we have a day off." Smiling at his friend, Hyuk-jae marveled at having to explain life this way. He had never imagined that there were people who seriously never did things like shopping or cooking at home. So far removed was he from that kind of life that it boggled his mind, seeming unreal.

What is that?

Hyuk-jae turned, craning his neck to see what Nagisa was talking about. "Oh," he said, catching sight of the sticky fluff, "that's candy floss." Had he never had it? When Nagisa said he wanted to try it, the taller man laughed. "It's mostly just sugar," he said, "but help yourself." Hyuk-jae wasn't overly fond of the sticky, sickeningly-sweet confection. Children loved it, of course. Walking with Nagisa to the vendor, Hyuk-jae waited while he purchased. "Be careful," he warned, "it gets everywhere." Glancing around, he tried to see what else was there.

While he had the money, the dark-haired man figured he should buy some things for mending his new clothes as well as some socks. He tried his best to take care of the things he had so that he didn't have to replace them often. Spotting an old woman with what looked like a various-and-sundry stall, he stopped for needle and thread, dragging Nagisa with him. Was this how his mother had felt, dragging him around the market? Keeping up with the fluffy-haired man was a little exhausting!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 18, 2013 1:50:38 GMT -6

Nagisa barely heard Hyuk-jae's warning; he marched right up to the stand and held up a finger. "One candy floss, please," he said, and handed over a one-yuan bill as the sign dictated.  He watched in wide-eyed fascination as the metal tub began to whirr; and the man poured some pink-coloured crystal into the tub, and some wisps of cobweb-y material began to appear. After a few moments, the man dipped in a white paper cone and, without appearing to to make contact with the floss, spun it 'round and 'round until the cone looked like a giant pillow.

Excitedly, Nagisa opened his mouth wide to take a bite, then blinked in surprise as his teeth snapped shut and the floss melted on his tongue. He looked up as Hyuk-jae grabbed his arm and took him somewhere. "This is amazing!" he said, not noticing the sticky pink floss around his mouth and on his cheeks. "It's... it's so sweet! And it just melts away! I could eat a bucket of this stuff!"

Padding after his friend, the fluffy-haired young man paid no attention to the purchases made. He was far more concerned about the dwindling supply of candy floss on his paper cone.

Eventually, Hyuk-jae finished buying things and the two of them headed home. Nagisa tossed the slightly damp, barren paper cone in a rubbish bin on the way out of the market, licking his fingers and chattering happily about how interesting the market was and what sorts of delicious things it had, only stopping momentarily to blush and touch his face when Hyuk-jae mentioned he had candy floss all over it.

When they got home, Hyuk-jae immediately went to the kitchen to begin preparing food. Nagisa, on the other hand, headed upstairs to wash his face and change his clothes. After a few minutes he came down the stairs, dressed in silky lounge pants and a white undershirt.

Something was bubbling away on the stove. "That... that smells really good!" Nagisa looked surprised. He hadn't had a home-cooked meal in a year, not since he moved out of his family home.

He'd forgotten how good home-cooked things could smell.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 18, 2013 2:15:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 18, 2013 2:15:12 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae tried not to laugh at Nagisa, really he did. But it was just so... amusing! He had gotten the bright pink, sticky candy floss all over his face, despite Hyuk-jae's warning. "You'll have to wash your face," he said, letting go of Nagisa' hand once they were on their way back to the apartment. Rubbing his now-sticky palm on his trousers, Hyuk-jae shook his head. "You really are a kid," he said.

It was a relief to get back to the apartment and put away the groceries — Hyuk-jae left out ingredients for bone soup, of course, and set to work making it while Nagisa went upstairs, presumably to wash his sticky face. The tall Firebender let the bones soak for twenty minutes to draw out any blood, and by the time Nagisa returned he was boiling them in a pot and slicing up a fat, white radish. Glancing up, Hyuk-jae smiled. "It makes a lot," he said, "so we'll have food for a while from this. It makes a good breakfast — you can eat with rice." Hyuk-jae would have to have his plain, but that was fine. He was so used to it that he never thought of eating it with rice.

The soup was set to boil for a while, so after rinsing his hands, Hyuk-jae went to sit down and mend a tear in his black shirt. "The soup will cook for some time," he told Nagisa. Quiet and methodical, the slender young man curled up near a window with needle and thread in his hands, carefully turning the shirt over. While he had time, it was best to check everywhere for anything that needed patching. Mending his things while he had the money to do so was a good plan. As he came to the tear he'd been thinking of, Hyuk-jae hummed softly to himself and began to sew it up with neat, tidy stitches.

He knew he had holes in his socks to darn. The sturdy darning thread he'd bought, an unpleasant sort of mushroom colour, would be perfect. It would be better if he bought new ones, but he just couldn't stand the idea of tossing them out. They still had some good wear in them! Once he'd finished mending the tear, he held it up to inspect. The trousers he wore needed mending in a few places, too, but until he had something else to wear while he did so, Hyuk-jae figured they could wait. After all, he'd purchased those new ones. He could his old ones on his next day off. Thinking of work, he looked up, eyes searching out Nagisa.

"Is there anything else I should know?" he asked. "About work, I mean. Do you want to tell me how to do a good job?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 18, 2013 2:58:08 GMT -6

Nagisa pulled up a chair and settled in. "Hmmm..." he scrunched up his face, thinking.  "Well, you seemed like a natural last night, honestly." He grinned. "Usually it takes clients a bit longer to warm up to new faces, but you took to it like a turtleduck to water, if you'll pardon the expression."

His stomach gave a little grumble; Nagisa laughed sheepishly. "Sorry, I guess I'm hungry. Candy floss isn't exactly filling, and that kebab was hours ago."

"I guess the main thing," he continued, getting up to make himself a phosphate soda, "is that you treat the customers like there's no where you'd rather be, and nothing you'd rather be doing, than listening to them. No matter how boring they are." His lips thinned into a line for a moment, remembering the ever-bossy Nima.

He turned to offer Hyuk-jae a soda, but paused. "Er, if you can have this, you're more than welcome to help." What were carbohydrates again?

Sipping the drink, Nagisa sat back down at the table and rested his weight on his elbows. "I guess you could say you should make them feel loved. Madame likes to say we're in the business of moe, making people's hearts flutter with possibilities and implications." He grinned at Hyuk-jae. "Hence what we're doing. Gotta make their hearts pound with the thrill of two fellas in a special relationship, if you know what I mean."

Nagisa stood again. "Oh, here. Let me set the table."

While he worked, Nagisa kept talking. "So what about you, do you have any questions? Or is there anything I need to look out for, in terms of your ... um... your condition? Oh, oh, I know, we should come up with a signal if a client makes you uncomfortable. We're allowed to set boundaries, you know."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 18, 2013 3:40:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 18, 2013 3:40:01 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae shrugged. It was just flirting. Heck of a lot easier than lots of other things! As Nagisa's stomach grumbled, he frowned. "I can make something else while the soup boils," he said, putting his sewing down. As Nagisa got up to make a phosphate soda, and he raised a brow. He didn't think he'd ever actually had it, and said so. Moving into the kitchen, he got out some of the meat he'd purchased as well as some gourd vegetables. Stir fry was easy and fast, likely to satisfy Nagisa's growling stomach. Hyuk-jae put a little oil in the pan and tossed in some onion. Carefully he began cutting the colorful and low-carbohydrate peppers he'd purchased, and added both those and some red pepper paste to the pan. It began to bubble and fill the kitchen with a rich, spicy scent.

Gotta make their hearts pound with the thrill of two fellas in a special relationship, if you know what I mean.

Frowning, the Firebender put the strips of meat in a pan and then glanced up. They sizzled. "I admit," he said, "that I sort of hate that two men in a relationship is considered titillating. It feels normal to me." He knew it wasn't normal, of course. Why else had he had so many married clients before? He'd been something on the side to satisfy their urges, separate from the wife at home. "Not that I'm not fine with the plan," he added hastily, "because I am." It just was sort of... sad, wasn't it? A little?

He thought of Ian and their failed attempt at a relationship. Maybe there was a reason men weren't acceptable?
That didn't seem right.

... is there anything I need to look out for, in terms of your ... um... your condition? Oh, oh, I know, we should come up with a signal if a client makes you uncomfortable.

Shrugging, Hyuk-jae flipped the meat pieces over. "I don't think they'll make me that uncomfortable," he said. "And I don't know anything about boundaries, either. I'm not going to be myself anyway! But as for the other... I told you, in the office. If I ask you if something is burning a lot or if I start saying I need to leave and seem panicked, then you should assume I'm going to have a big fit." It was an awkward topic. How could he describe his situation? "Um... when I have an absence seizure it looks like I'm ignoring you or I'm not paying attention. The jerks are — well, jerky." He didn't want to demonstrate. "I don't get those much. Mostly it's either absence seizure or big fit." The stir fry was finished, and Hyuk-jae carried the pan to the table, serving it onto two plates.

"Sorry I didn't make rice," he said. "If you want it, you'll have to make it. I never eat it, so don't worry about me." Hesitating, he shifted his weight from foot to foot. He should wait for Nagisa to sit down first, right? It was polite.

Hyuk-jae still felt like a guest in Nagisa's home.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 18, 2013 3:40:35 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 18, 2013 4:06:48 GMT -6

Nagisa shrugged. "It seems normal to me too, don't get me wrong." He pressed his hands to his stomach as it grumbled again in response to the smells of frying meat and vegetables. "But I guess not everyone thinks like that."

He nodded in response to Hyuk-jae's comments about his condition. "Okay," he said pleasantly. That was easy enough to remember. He'd have to keep an eye out for those symptoms.

Eventually, Hyuk-jae set a plate of meat and veggies down in front of him; Nagisa picked up a set of chopsticks, waving away the suggestion of rice. "It'll take too long and the food'll get cold." He sat, not noticing that Hyuk-jae didn't sit down until he did.

Hyuk-jae was a good cook. Nagisa looked down at his plate, his eyes wide. "I..." he looked up, his mouth slightly open. "This is amazing." Eagerly, he took another bite, then another, and another. The meat was a bit spicy, not enough to lose all flavour but enough for a kick. He ate like he hadn't eaten in a month.

"I can't believe this!" It was like living with his mother again. Nagisa had no desire to learn how to cook, but it would be nice to have a home-cooked meal every so often. "This is amazing! Will--" Nagisa hesitated, blushing a little. "Will you cook like this more often?" he asked. "I mean, while you stay here," he said hastily. He didn't want to imply that Hyuk-jae needed to stay forever, though it was getting harder and harder for the young man to think of his new friend leaving.

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 18, 2013 16:52:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 18, 2013 16:52:04 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae always ate as if he were starving. The stir fry was comfortingly familiar, just like what he'd grown up with. The red pepper paste combined with the simple vegetables was the best thing he'd tasted all week, and he closed his eyes for a moment, taking it in. Perfect. When he opened them again, Nagisa was staring at him and saying how good it was.

Flushing, Hyuk-jae shrugged. "Thanks," he said, "

Hyuk-jae was a good cook. Nagisa looked down at his plate, his eyes wide. "I..." he looked up, his mouth slightly open. "This is amazing." Eagerly, he took another bite, then another, and another. The meat was a bit spicy, not enough to lose all flavour but enough for a kick. He ate like he hadn't eaten in a month himself.

"Will you cook like this more often?"

There was something about the way Nagisa said it that warmed Hyuk-jae's spirit. He looked up, surprised. It almost sounded as if Nagisa meant for him to stay for a long time. The Firebender couldn't really remember feeling wanted before, and it was… nice. Unexpectedly so.

"I mean, while you stay here."

Oh. Right. "Yeah," said Hyuk-jae, looking down at his plate. Of course that's what he meant! That reminded him that the had to start looking for a place as soon as possible. Picking up his now-empty plate, he moved to the kitchen to wash the dishes and stir the boiling soup. He had no idea what Nagisa's plans were for the rest of the day, but Hyuk-jae could envision himself taking a nap and maybe a shower and re-reading the only novel he had. What if Nagisa had books?

"Do you like to read?" he asked, coming back to take Nagisa's plate. He'd never had many books but it would be really nice.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 18, 2013 23:57:32 GMT -6

His hunger temporarily sated, Nagisa stood from the table, stretching his back. It had been a long day. A much longer day than he was used to, and filled with a lot more activity than he was used to. He'd been a "night owl" for the past year, only doing a handful of daytime errands on his days off — and even then, many 'errands' involved delivery.

"Do you like to read?"

Nagisa shrugged, leaning up against the kitchen counter as Hyuk-jae took his plate from the table. "I guess so. I have comic books, and some mystery novels. Not a lot of novels though." He enjoyed reading on occasion. He liked books with pictures; it was easier to relate to things that way. The comic books he owned were all of a soft, big-eyed art style and lots of flowing lines and hair and sparkles. They were almost all romance stories, usually with girls as the protagonist, but a few had boys falling in love with boys. Those were his favourite.

"You know, you could go to the bookstore with me sometime!" Nagisa peered around Hyuk-jae's arm, watching him stir the boiling soup with interest. "One of my comics comes out every two weeks, so we could always go together. And maybe if you want we can get you a book case!" He was warming up to the idea of Hyuk-jae starting a little library. "I can even move some of my clothes to one side of the second room and you can have the other wall."

Eventually, dinner was ready. Eagerly, Nagisa sat at his place as Hyuk-jae spooned some soup into a bowl and set it in front of him. He waited out of politeness for Hyuk-jae to serve himself and sit down as well before taking a big spoonful of soup.

A mistake. He grabbed for his soda and took a small sip to offset the heat of the soup. "Ow~~~~~w!" he gasped after he had swallowed. "That was stupid of me!" He laughed and shook his head. "It just smelled so good, I couldn't wait. I didn't even think about it."

Carefully, Nagisa took another bite. He rolled the broth around his mouth, chewing on the vegetables slowly, his eyes closed in enjoyment. The soup was comforting, like a familiar coat or a blanket.

He opened one eye and looked at Hyuk-jae with a grin. "If you keep cooking like this, maybe I won't want you to leave!"
This user is Mod