The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Story of My Life [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 22:42:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 22:42:39 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae looked at Nagisa through his eyelashes, not sure why he was being nudged. What did the kid want him to do, kiss him at the table? Instead, Nagisa made a comment about being nice and some sort of toast with the juice, which Hyuk-jae pretended to drink due to the high amounts of sugar. He didn't pretend, however, not to be relieved when the businessmen said their goodnights. Were they going to talk about what the two men had obviously expected to see?

Probably not.

The next few hours passed in a haze of clients, some easier to deal with and some not. Hyuk-jae proved much better at dealing with men, just as he'd said, though as the hours went on it was harder and harder for him. He had been up all day, with just a minute nap. A few times he sort of stared into space for a moment, thankfully without attracting too much notice. He was able to laugh it off, but he knew it was happening after one of the women said something, playfully accusing him of tuning her out. Which he wasn't — not by a long shot! By one in the morning, as the clients, left, Hyuk-jae leaned his head in his hand, clearly tired. He wished that he had gotten to sleep all day, like Nagisa — though the other young man had an abundance of energy that sprang from spirits knew where.

As he looked at the clock, Hyuk-jae realized the likely still had hours to go. Please just let me get through this, he thought. He had papers to deliver in the morning, and he could not afford to skip a day. Glancing at Nagisa, he shook his hair off his face. "How much time before the next ones?" he asked, rubbing his temples. He had to sleep some time.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 3, 2013 15:47:56 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 16:10:54 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Nagisa glanced at his pocketwatch. "I think we've got a fifteen minute break before the next one." He looked up at Hyuk-jae, his brows knitting together. "Are you gonna be all right?"

What a stupid question, of course not. Hyuk-jae had probably been up since they last saw each other. "You know what, don't answer that. Gimme a second and I'll be right back."

Quickly standing, he went over to Madame Jainukul. She regarded him with interest, perfectly plucked brow arched.

"You and your friend are doing well tonight," she said briskly, as per usual. "All of your clients tonight have been quite pleased. Especially the business men." She looked down at her clipboard, opening a manila folder and ticking off a few lines. "Together you've nearly doubled your usual intake, both in clients and items purchased. Tell your friend that if he would like to work for us he's more than welcome."

Nagisa opened his mouth to speak, but the madame continued. "I think I might bill you two together," she said casually. "Maybe make you the boy-love team; you've already got your opposite appearances working for you. Imagine: forbidden boy-love with the tall, stoic, dark and handsome and the small, lovable, cute and light. It'll be excellent."

He nodded. "Yes, well," he said quickly, "I'll let him know. But he's been up all day, can I call it a night early? I need to take him home and stuff."

Jainukul pursed her lips in thought, then consulted the client list. "Well... okay. You've pulled in your share already for tonight. I'll tell the rest of your clients you had an unexpected engagement elsewhere. You'll take care of the details on your next day in, which is.... day after tomorrow."

Just then, the telephone rang. "Go on, Nagisa," she said shooing him away.

Nagisa bowed, and hurried back to Hyuk-jae.

"Hey, you wanna get out of here?" he asked. "Madame says we can call it early, we've already made double what I usually make in a night."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 16:23:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 16:23:58 GMT -6

Was he going to be all right? "Of course," Hyuk-jae said, too quickly. He was exhausted but it wasn't the first time. He could make it a few more hours, surely. Before he had a chance to say anything else, Nagisa was up and away, talking to the impeccably-groomed woman Hyuk-jae assumed was the Madam.

When the shorter young man returned, he asked Hyuk-jae if he wanted to leave. "So much," he admitted, "I'm really tired. Is that okay?"
Nagisa assured him that they'd already made double what he usually pulled, and Hyuk-jae raised an eyebrow. "Double?" He laughed. "Of course. I guess people like what they see." He stood up, heading back with Nagisa to the locker room, eager to get out of his clothes. The blue kimono was pretty, apparently, but Hyuk-jae just felt so stiff and awkward in it.

He slipped out of the outer layer as soon as they went through the door, and even before Nagisa had his clothes back out of his locker, Hyuk-jae was divesting himself of the kimono as quickly as possible. He slid the blue fabric off white shoulders, obviously not shy. Hyuk-jae was slender, but his figure was far from soft. "I can't wait to put real clothes on again," he said, twisting a little as he tried to pull off the costume. He let it hang around his waist and took his shirt from Nagisa, quickly stretching and pulling it over his head. It smelled familiar and comforting, like smoke and newsprint. Getting into his trousers only took him a few minutes and he sat on the floor to begin pulling on his knee-high boots.

"Sorry about making you leave early," he said, looking up at Nagisa. "I can get home if you need to go back and earn a bit more…" He felt bad, making the other man leave. Surely Nagisa could do a few more hours and earn more by himself.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 3, 2013 16:33:16 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 16:44:14 GMT -6

"Sorry about making you leave early. I can get home if you need to go back and earn a bit more…"

Nagisa waved him off, slipping out of the costume and into his own clothes — a button up shirt that he rolled three-quarters of the way up his arms, a pair of dark brown trousers, and a grey waistcoat. He braced himself against the lockers as he put on his socks and loafers.

"It's okay," he said, fiddling with the cuff of his pant leg. "Tomorrow's my day off anyway, so Madame said I can get an early start." He laughed. "I might sleep all day, I think." Or at least, until late afternoon. There were stores to visit, errands to run. And by errands, he meant things like going out to eat and picking up the dry cleaning, maybe visiting a tailor for some quick adjustments.

Once they were both settled back into their street clothes, Nagisa held the door open for Hyuk-jae. "Let's go pick up our cut," he said, leading the way down the hall and to the front desk.

"Hi, Nagisa," said an older-looking woman sweetly. Her dark complexion was starting to show signs of wrinkling, and the hair at her temples had started to turn grey from their dark brown. "Here are tonight's earnings for you and your friend. Fifteen percent for the both of you, so three hundred yuans a piece." She held out two small, dark-coloured envelopes.

"Thanks, Luli." Without another glance, Nagisa tucked the envelope into his billfold. He'd count the money later.

Once Hyuk-jae had his earnings, Nagisa lead the way into the street. "Do you want to share a cab home?" he asked.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 3, 2013 16:44:37 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 16:50:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 16:50:24 GMT -6

Well, if he was sure, he was sure. Hyuk-jae shrugged and finished lacing his boots, standing back up when done. He waited on Nagisa to get his shoes on before following him to a desk, where an older, greying woman sat. She handed him an envelope of money, and as he heard the words 'three hundred yuans', Hyuk-jae struggled to keep his mouth shut. His eyes went wide and he stared down at his hands.

Three-hundred? Seriously? For flirting?

"Oh my god," he breathed, hoping it was under his breath. "I — oh my god." It was under his breath… mostly. He was just so shocked. As he and Nagisa stood on the street corner, he shoved the envelope into his pocket quickly, heart thumping. He couldn't remember the last time he'd held that much money at once. If he had ever held that much money at once. He could — paying his rent out would be a piece of cake. His mind was racing with thoughts of what he could do with the money; paying off debts, catching up on his rent, buying food for his apartment — he almost didn't hear Nagisa suggest a cab.

"Oh — sorry, I was — well, I'm sure we don't live near each other," he said, trying to wave away the other boy's offer. "I'm sure you live around here, right?" Brushing some of his thick hair off his face, Hyuk-jae shrugged. "I mean, I live — I live in Dragon Flats, so, it's probably really out of the way…"

He couldn't imagine Nagisa living anywhere close to the slummy neighborhood he called home, after all. And it was probably safer, even with a pocket full of yuans, to walk home. Ruffing the hair at the back of his head, Hyuk-jae smiled nervously, waiting for the judging look he was sure he was about to receive.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 3, 2013 17:01:45 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 17:17:18 GMT -6

"Dragon Flats?" Nagisa repeated, running his hand through his hair.  "No, I live in Phoenix Rise, I think it's two boroughs over, closer to here." He did his best to keep his face neutral upon hearing where Hyuk-jae lived, and was mostly successful. It should've come as no surprise, considering Hyuk-jae seemed fairly poor. The 'Flats were one of, if not the poorest districts in Republic City.

"Why don't you just come over to my place and crash for the night? You seem pretty bushed, and we have some stuff to discuss that Madame wanted me to ask you. Maybe better over a cup of coffee — if you drink coffee — and a light snack."

He waved his hand; it was rare that he took taxis home. Usually he was out too late and they didn't start their morning service until an hour after he got out of work.  As a Cabbage Corp Cab rumbled toward them, Nagisa turned and looked up at Hyuk-jae, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Or we can go back to your place, but I'd need a way to contact you so we can talk about what Madame asked me."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 17:26:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 17:26:20 GMT -6

Nagisa's face betrayed, a little, his feelings about where Hyuk-jae lived. The newsie stuffed his hands into his pockets, shoulders hunching a little. He was used to it, though at that moment, for some reason, he felt… embarrassed.

"I'd prefer not to go to my place," Hyuk-jae said quickly. Taking a cab was a pretty quick way to get robbed. He glanced at the cab, then at Nagisa. "All right. I'll go with you. Like I said, I don't — I don't have a telephone or anything. It's probably easier this way." He smiled and got into the cab, curling up into the corner during the ride.

They pulled up to very attractive row-houses, pretty and well-kept. Hyuk-jae tried not to gawk. Even his parents weren't well-to-do, so he'd grown up in a neighborhood poorer than this one. While he had been to a businessman's house or two that stacked up, he hadn't imagined Nagisa living in that kind of place. It was so… expensive.

He stepped out of the cab and followed Nagisa inside. For what felt like the millionth time that evening, his eyes widened in surprise as they stepped into the well-decorated home. It was clean and minimalist, very well-kept. He'd expected… well, stuff everywhere. A childish space. Instead it looked like Nagisa preferred clean, well-made furniture and had a rather mature, for his looks, taste in art and color. Hyuk-jae raised an eyebrow, feeling like he'd get something dirty just by sitting on it. "Uh," he said, shifting his weight from foot to foot as he looked around, "nice place."

There was no way in the seven hells he'd ever bring the other young man to his apartment. Not now. It would be a painful embarrassment. The young man was suddenly acutely aware of how different he was from Nagisa, and probably everyone he'd met that night. Nagisa probably brought home hundreds of yuans all the time. Hyuk-jae twisted his fingers together behind his back, looking around the house. He didn't belong there.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 3, 2013 17:31:10 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 17:38:43 GMT -6

"Thanks," Nagisa said with a smile. He liked his house, and he had carefully selected every piece of furniture in it over the past year. He didn't own the house, not yet, but he was very careful to pay all of his dues on time, and a little more if he hadn't blown all of his extra money on clothes, so that he could eventually pay off the whole price. Eventually, he'd see about moving his parents closer by, once they were more used to his lifestyle. If they could see that he could own his own place, in a nice neighbourhood, then maybe they wouldn't have so many reservations about his line of work.

He locked the door behind them with a quick twist of his wrist and hung his keys neatly on a peg in the foyer.

"If you could take off your shoes by the door," he said, "I've got some extra house slippers."

He put his on — moderately fluffy pink ones — and handed Hyuk-jae a pair of navy blue house slippers. They were open in the back, so even if they were a little too small they wouldn't be terrible.

Unbuttoning his waistcoat, Nagisa pulled open the hall closet. "Did you want to take a shower? You can use the upstairs bathroom, in the bedroom, if you want." The downstairs bathroom didn't have a shower.  "I can put on some coffee — do you drink coffee? — while you shower. And I'll cut up some fruit for snack, and we can talk about what Madame said."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 3, 2013 17:39:00 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 21:57:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 21:57:01 GMT -6

Leaving his boots by the door, Hyuk-jae slid the navy slippers on and gingerly followed Nagisa around the house. Nagisa offered him a shower, and at first the young man was tempted to decline. However, realizing that Nagisa probably meant that he should be cleaner before sitting around his house, he nodded his head in assent. A real shower would probably be amazing, anyway. Nagisa likely had hot running water.

"I don't," Hyuk-jae said, declining the coffee, "just tea. Or water, it's fine — I really don't need anything." He hated to put Nagisa out, and besides, fruit was full of carbohydrates. He followed Nagisa's directions to the upstairs bedroom, staring at the bed as he entered. It was, to his eyes, enormous. Nagisa had a queen-sized bed, with fluffy duvet, in the middle of a clean, cheerful room. Hyuk-jae looked around, feeling almost scared to touch anything. Even though he'd washed his hands at the club, he had the impression that he'd leave grimy marks if he touched anything. Surely Nagisa brought his customers home if he was able to afford a place like this.

He stepped into the bathroom, gingerly setting his clothes in a neat pile. He'd just be putting them back on after the shower, after all. Nagisa was so much shorter than he was that he doubted there was any other option. Not wanting to waste any water, Hyuk-jae waited to turn the shower on until he was already inside. The water was even hotter than he anticipated, and the slender young man bit back a yelp as the water went from cold to hot. The soap in the shower was bright pink and sweet, smelling like flowers and candied fruit. Hyuk-jae was quick to scrub off, washing his hair carefully and getting out in very little time at all.

The towels in the bathroom were luxuriously soft and fluffy. Hyuk-jae briskly dried himself off, pulling his trousers and shirt back on quickly. That done, he slipped back down the stairs, still staring at everything. Nagisa said they were to discuss the Madam's offer — Hyuk-jae had already decided to accept. He would just be... circumspect... about his condition. If he ate carefully, he could keep it mostly under control, and as long as they allowed a sick day or two he should be all right.

He hoped.

Taking a steaming mug from Nagisa, the young man looked around the pristine room and ended up hesitantly settling himself on the floor. He didn't want to dirty any of Nagisa's furniture, after all, and he wasn't wearing clean clothes. "So..."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2013 0:23:13 GMT -6

"Tea it is."

While Hyuk-jae was in the shower (he could hear the pipes going), Nagisa busied himself with heating water for the tea. As the water boiled, he cut up some early-picked mango and dished out some of the preserved shrimp paste he had in a jar into a small shallow bowl for dipping. He set the snack on his table and fished out two pretty mugs, white with blue trim.

When Hyuk-jae came back downstairs, Nagisa was a little surprised to see him in his clothes again. "Oh! Sorry, I didn't tell you where the extra night shirt was. Do you want it?" Either he didn't hear or didn't want, because Hyuk-jae just sat himself down on the floor Not really comprehending, Nagisa followed suit without a second thought, grabbing the mango and shrimp paste and setting them down on the floor next to him.

"So..."

"Ah, yes. So." Nagisa took one of the mango spears and dipped it, nibbling just a little bit before he spoke. "The madame likes your work. She's impressed with what we made tonight, especially with regards to the businessmen. Very impressed. There are already people asking if you will be a permanent host."  He took another bite of fruit, letting a few moments pass as he chewed and swallowed.

"She wants to bill us together, as a, you know, one of those boy-love duos. Apparently whatever we were doing tonight was really popular, especially among the gentlemen. A few of the ladies too, but she said you were obviously more comfortable dealing with men."

He waved around a mango spear. "So you're welcome to work at the Host Club, if you want. Standard earnings are ten percent of whatever your clients bring in for the club, per night. You don't have to take anyone home if you don't want to — I think the managers would prefer that you didn't, they've had some run-ins with clients who got a little too attached to hosts who took them home — and you still get paid the same. I think individual hosts have different arrangements with managements, but I work five nights a week, mostly the weekends because that's when a bulk of the customers come in, have two days off."

Nagisa looked up at Hyuk-jae. "And really, the pay isn't bad. I've got some... pretty bad spending habits, when it comes to some things, but I was able to rent out this place, and I bought my furniture and all of my clothes." 

He took a sip of his tea. "So what do you say?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 4, 2013 0:36:10 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 4, 2013 0:55:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 4, 2013 0:55:26 GMT -6

"Huh?" Hyuk-jae looked down at his clothes. "Oh. No, don't worry about it." Nagisa sat down next to him and he tilted his head, watching him. The food he ignored, choosing instead to wrap his hands around his cup of tea and pull his knees up to his chest.Looking down at the cup, he smiled. "Even your cups are pretty," he said.

There are already people asking if you will be a permanent host.

"I'll do it," he said, barely listening to Nagisa's proposal at first. The 'boy-love' bit caught his attention, though. "Ah —" Hyuk-jae sipped his tea. "Are you fine with that? How far are we supposed to go?" Personally he didn't much care. Nagisa was handsome enough, if you liked boys — which he did, just fine. But the other young man hadn't said anything to make him believe he did.

Nagisa's admittance of a spending problem raised one of Hyuk-jae's eyebrows, but he didn't say anything. He'd never had money spare enough to shop for anything, and couldn't fathom what that was like. "You bought all of this?" he asked, looking around again. "Do you bring them home with you often, then?" Surely this wasn't all from regular earnings, just non-physical entertainment. Was it?

Hyuk-jae tried to stifle a yawn and failed. "I'm sorry," he apologized. He glanced around for a clock. "You... stay here all by yourself?" That boggled the mind a little. Hyuk-jae was rent-sharing with four other people. "I can't even imagine," he continued, without thinking about it. "I have four roommates right now. Last time I had five." He rubbed the back of his neck.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 4, 2013 1:29:55 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2013 2:07:10 GMT -6

Nagisa's eyes lit up. "Great! I'll let Madame know tomorrow." He crunched another mango spear.

"Ah —" Hyuk-jae sipped his tea. "Are you fine with that? How far are we supposed to go?"

He shrugged. "I'm fine with it. You're pretty easy on the eyes yourself." More than easy on the eyes, Nagisa added silently. " We're not supposed to go very far, just enough to imply that we do and fan the flames of forbidden love and make the customers imagine all the things that we could be up to."

It was something the Host Club was very good at. It wasn't necessarily that they were faking those emotions, at least, Nagisa wasn't. He genuinely wanted people who spent time with him to feel loved. And it was fun, usually, being the centre of attention. But the best way to keep a client, or clients, entertained, would be to let their imagination run wild with possibility. That way, not only did you not feel obligated to end the night a certain way if you weren't in the mood or particularly fond of the client, but you could also avoid having a client read more into a situation than was really there.

"You bought all of this?" he asked, looking around again. "Do you bring them home with you often, then?"

"I beg pardon?" It took a few seconds for him to understand what Hyuk-jae meant. When it dawned on him, he nearly choked on his mango. "NO!" he said emphatically, getting on his hands and knees and looking at Hyuk-jae dead in the eyes. "I never bring anyone home, ever." His golden eyes were wide with sincerity.

He never took a client home. First of all, his house was his refuge, his sanctum sanctorum, and inviting clients over would mean that his home would now be open to outside influence, outside smells — no. This was his place, and clients needed to stay clients during business hours only. Plus, there was that time where one of the hosts had an ex-client keep coming around to his place at night and harassing him.

No, he preferred to work under fair anonymity; the false name helped a little, but never spending the night with a client helped more.

Then Hyuk-jae yawned and apologised. "Oh! Yes, of course. You can use the big bed tonight, I'll sleep on the couch. It's okay; I don't get guests over much, so, yeah, I do stay here by myself."

He stood up, bringing the mango spears and shrimp paste to the counter along with his mug. He tossed out the contents of the mug, and wrapped the food up in foil before sticking it in the ice box.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 4, 2013 2:08:57 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 4, 2013 3:02:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 4, 2013 3:02:07 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae just laughed when Nagisa called him easy on the eyes. It sounded like all he had to do was flirt outrageously with him. That wasn't so hard.

As Nagisa vehemently denied ever taking a client home ever, Hyuk-jae bit his lower lip. "Right," he said, "of course. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." He set his teacup down. "I guess I — everything just looks so expensive to me, I guess I didn't think hosting paid so well. I'm sorry." Gosh! He could tell that Nagisa was repulsed by the very idea of taking a client home. Hyuk-jae rubbed his upper left arm in embarrassment. What he must think of him!

"You can use the big bed tonight, I'll sleep on the couch. It's okay; I don't get guests over much, so, yeah, I do stay here by myself."

"Oh no," Hyuk-jae shook his head. "No way. I can't do that — I can't kick you out of your bed." He looked around, gesturing with a hand. "The floor is fine. Really, the floor is fine." Unfortunately, it seemed that Nagisa wouldn't hear of such a thing. At all. In fact, he began to pout and look pitiful, until Hyuk-jae finally suggested they share the bed. He supposed Nagisa was sick of arguing, because he agreed. The two of them went upstairs, where Hyuk-jae carefully folded his shirt into a neat square on the floor and sat gingerly on the edge of the bed. When he turned to ask Nagisa if there was a specific side he should be on, he found himself speechless.

Was that a dress? For sleeping in?

"Uh... what is that?"

Didn't everyone just... sleep naked? That's what he always did. Why waste good clothes?
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 4, 2013 3:03:05 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2013 3:37:02 GMT -6

When Hyuk-jae finally agreed to share the bed, Nagisa hid a little smile. Well, that was a suggestion he wouldn't have exactly made himself, but it wasn't a bad one by any means.

The two walked up the stairs to his bedroom, and Nagisa busied himself with dressing down for bed. He carefully hung up his trousers and waistcoat, then tossed his shirt and socks into a wicker hamper. He slipped on his night dress: a long-sleeved pink gown with three small, dark pink bows down the front. The night dress was ruffled at the shoulders, which the collar just rested on; pinched in three bits with elastic around the whole of the gown at each bow, then ruffled again at the very bottom. It was his favourite nightdress.

"Uh... what is that?"

Nagisa looked up, a little confused. "It's my night dress?" He blushed a little. "My mother got it for me; she likes to dress me up in ... effeminate clothes because she thinks I'm pretty. I don't normally like it, but this night dress is really comfortable, surprisingly so."

He shifted uncomfortably, feeling a bit of heat flood his cheeks, misunderstanding Hyuk-jae's surprise entirely. "Does... does it look bad?" he asked, prepared to be mortified.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 4, 2013 3:57:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 4, 2013 3:57:35 GMT -6

"No!" Hyuk-jae tried not to laugh, but the corners of his mouth turned up in a smile nonetheless. It didn't look bad at all. In fact, the bizarrely ruffly concoction suited Nagisa quite well, with his stature and fluffy hair. "No, it — it's cute, or whatever. It looks fine. I just haven't seen anything like it before, that's all." He shrugged. "I usually don't sleep in anything. Never have. I was just surprised." He shifted on the bed, waiting for a second before flopping down onto his side, curling up a little on top of the covers. The orange in his eyes collected the light a bit, making them luminous as he watched the shorter man move around.

Nagisa's bedtime ritual was quite interesting. Hyuk-jae watched him with bright, curious eyes, taking it all in. There was just so much of it. Face washing and little pots of cream and — Hyuk-jae stretched, limbs feeling heavy. Most nights he managed to strip before falling asleep. Sometimes not. He couldn't imagine going through so many steps. It seemed glamourous somehow, like something rich people did at night. Was it to make him more beautiful? Nagisa hardly needed help in that department. He wondered, idly, if his mother ever used night cream like that. The young man yawned.

Before Nagisa could make it back to the bed his guest was asleep, turned onto his right side with one arm tucked up under his head. He hadn't even made it under the covers! Hyuk-jae's breathing was even and deep, eyelashes dark against the skin of his face. He was completely worn out. He shifted just a little, letting out a kittenish sigh when Nagisa sat on the bed.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 4, 2013 15:47:16 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2013 18:09:10 GMT -6

Nagisa could see Hyuk-jae, out of the corner of his eye, watching him as he went about with his nighttime ritual. How strange it must look, and how awful Hyuk-jae's living conditions must be, to not have night clothes to sleep in! He saw the other man watch him with interest as he put the front of his hair up, brushed his teeth, washed his face, and moisturised.

Once he was properly set up for bed, his face smelling faintly of tangerines, Nagisa headed for bed only to find that Hyuk-jae had already fallen asleep. He smiled a little. He must've been exhausted. Taking care not to disturb his new friend, Nagisa very carefully positioned himself on the bed and went to sleep.

~*~*~

Morning light streamed through the upstairs bedroom window and into Nagisa's eyes. He groaned a little, shielding his eyes from the brightness.

"Ungrh... what time is it?" he murmured sleepily into some fabric. He sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes, before feeling around for the pocket watch he left on his nightstand. The cover swung open with a little click, and Nagisa read with dismay that it was only about nine-thirty. He wasn't used to sleeping any time before five in the morning and waking up before the crack of noon.

With a stifled yawn, Nagisa looked down, surprised to see himself curled around Hyuk-jae as if it were the most natural thing to do. The other man was still asleep, so gently he extricated himself from the blankets and tiptoed to the bathroom.

~*~*~

By the time Hyuk-jae woke up, Nagisa was already dressed for the day (in his usual spiffy outfit, of course) and downstairs; he had made some tea, and cooked some eggs and toast and bacon for breakfast. He was seated at the kitchen table, reading the paper as he ate.

He looked up as Hyuk-jae came in. "Hey, help yourself," he said, gesturing to the food on the table as he sipped his tea.

"You know," he started, "I was thinking. Since you're going to host you're going to need a couple of new clothes. The club provides the costumes but otherwise we're on our own. Why don't We go shopping for some suits, or whatever you'd like to wear?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 4, 2013 23:14:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 4, 2013 23:14:22 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae was a relatively still sleeper, moving only small amounts. He did wake at one point, cold, to groggily deposit himself under the covers next to the nightgown-clad Nagisa. Not really awake, he curled an arm around the smaller man's waist, tucking his face down next to strawberry-scented hair. Nagisa was warm and soft, and so was the bed, and for the first time in a very long time, Hyuk-jae slept deeply. He didn't stir when the sun flooded the room, though Nagisa's movement and speech prompted a whispery sort of sigh. Turning over, Hyuk-jae slept as Nagisa extricated himself from the bed. The rustling about of getting ready pulled him further from sleep, but it was the smell of bacon and eggs.

Sitting up, he rubbed his eyes. Where was he? Looking around the room, he sat up quickly. The bed seemed huge.

Oh, right. Nagisa's apartment. Rubbing his eyes once again, Hyuk-jae blinked and stood up, grabbing his shirt from the floor. He pulled it on with no ceremony and splashed cold water on his face before going down the stairs. Nagisa was wide-awake and cheerful, eating toast and talking at him about... something.

"Since you're going to host you're going to need a couple of new clothes... Why don't We go shopping for some suits, or whatever you'd like to wear?"

New clothes? Hyuk-jae hadn't bought new clothes in... a year? Maybe? "Ah —" he was about to say he couldn't afford to do that, but the three-hundred yuans in his pocket stopped him. He could afford it, actually. What was more, he probably couldn't afford not to buy at least a newer shirt. He'd agreed to take a job hosting, and that meant he'd agreed to be paid to look good.

It seemed a little surreal. Sitting down, he studied the kitchen. Hyuk-jae glanced at Nagisa. "Thanks for letting me stay over, by the way. I really appreciate it." More than he could say, in fact. "Your bed is huge!" Not sleeping cramped into a closet was no little miracle to Hyuk-jae, but he sensed that he shouldn't go farther in thanking Nagisa. At the shorter man's urging he took a piece of bacon, but avoided the toast. As usual, Nagisa was dressed very smartly, every piece of clothing in perfect place.

Shopping with him was probably going to be like running a gauntlet. Hyuk-jae sighed. "I... guess I have to, don't I?" he said, realizing he hadn't given an answer.

Spirits help him.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 5, 2013 15:39:36 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 5, 2013 16:38:03 GMT -6

Nagisa laughed delightedly. "It wasn't a problem," he said with a grin. "The bed is more than big enough for two, I'm just glad you had a good night's sleep in a new place. Sometimes it's hard for me to do that."

"I... guess I have to, don't I?"

The younger man grinned. "You do." He crunched into a butter-slathered slice of toast; the bread was from the corner bakery, and really nice and thick and square.  "If you're going to be a host, you're going to have to look like one. Besides, you'll make back the money just like that." Nagisa snapped his fingers. "Maybe in a night or two, or less."

Suddenly Nagisa stood up. "Oh shoot, I should probably called the madame. Excuse me."

Once in the living room, he picked up the phone. "Hello, operator? I'd like to be connected to the Republic City Host Club, please."

After a few moments, a voice on the other end crackled to life. "Hello Madame! It's Nagisa. Yep, he did... Uh-huh. Uh-huh. No, we'll be doing that today. Uh-huh." He paused to look at his watch. "Yeah, we could do that. Uh-huh. Sure thing! See you then."

"Hey, Hyuk-jae!" he called back into the kitchen as he put the receiver back on the cradle. "After we go shopping Madame Jainukul wants you to fill in some paperwork. Just routine stuff, like name, age, prior occupations, etcetera."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 5, 2013 16:38:31 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 5, 2013 16:53:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 5, 2013 16:53:11 GMT -6

Paperwork? Hyuk-jae curled his fingers up to his palms in his lap, hiding them under the table. He couldn't imagine that he'd be allowed to take the job if he told the truth about his condition. He'd been turned down from so many jobs because of it already — hosting wouldn't be different. In fact, it would make sense that even without his Firebending, he'd be denied simply because of the epilepsy. A risk of seizures and disruption of the business was a pretty big risk when the business was entertainment. "Oh," he said. "Paperwork. Um..."

Was there any way around that? Couldn't they pay him under the table, or something?

Hyuk-jae shifted in his chair, nails biting into the skin of his palms. "You know," he said, "maybe — maybe I shouldn't do this." It was a rapid change in direction and Nagisa would likely find it very odd, but what else was he supposed to do? Lie?

It didn't sit right with him. He put other people at risk, and lying about the danger seemed too wrong for words. Hyuk-jae didn't think he could do it. He'd always been honest about the epilepsy, even when he knew it would put him out. His roommates had always known. His boss at the paper knew, not that it meant anything. Even if he didn't tell the Madam himself, surely his current employer would. Anyone she called for a character reference — and it was a short list — would tell her. Looking down at his hands, the young man smiled a pained little smile. It was probably better to thank Nagisa for his hospitality and go back to the paper office. He'd skipped plenty of days out of necessity — one more wouldn't change his situation there. At least he would have the three-hundred yuans he'd made. That was more than enough to make things okay for him for a little while.

Standing, Hyuk-jae pushed away from the table. "Right. I, um. Listen, thanks for everything. I'm sorry I slept so late. I'll get out of your hair, okay?"
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 5, 2013 17:00:24 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 5, 2013 18:24:06 GMT -6

"Wha~~~~~~~at?" Nagisa stood in front of Hyuk-jae, barring his path. "I don't understand, why are you leaving? I thought you wanted to be a host!" His lower lip quivered. They had fun last night, right? That's what he thought, that they had a good time together. That they were friends.

He grabbed Hyuk-jae's hands, holding them tightly in his. "Don't go!" he said, his eyes wide and concerned. "Tell me what's wrong. There has to be something wrong, you were all for it just a few seconds ago." Without thinking Nagisa stamped his foot. "We were supposed to be partners! I wanted to be partners! I thought you did too." He looked at Hyuk-jae with rising anger. "This isn't nice. We had a plan!"

Dropping the other man's hands, Nagisa folded his arms over his chest. "I don't understand," he repeated. "Tell me what changed. I won't force you into something you want to do, but I think I deserve at least knowing why you suddenly changed your mind after agreeing."

The more he thought about it, the angrier he became. Who agreed to something then immediately backed out without even so much as an explanation? And then Hyuk-jae was acting like they were complete strangers, like Nagisa didn't invite him over, like he was a bother. That wouldn't do at all!

Nagisa looked up at Hyuk-jae, his golden eyes meeting orange and demanding an answer.
This user is Mod