The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Love is in the Air Acolyte [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Jul 5, 2012 2:20:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 5, 2012 2:20:22 GMT -6

With his hear pressed to Ren when she chuckled Hangetsu felt as if he was wrapped in pure joy. That in turn made him laugh.
The story of Meelo brought up memories of his childhood playing games with his sister. He wondered if Meelo would outgrow his make-believe world or simply translate it to paper as Izumi did.

Ren's "knowledge is power" moral made Hangetsu chuckle again. His grandmother Han had told him the same thing growing up and his boss at the detective agency Tae-yeon often decried the flatfoot's ignorance.
"I can't see you as an evil queen. Or a dangerous woman walking into a detective's office." He caught himself before he described Ren as a love interest. Even in his head it sounded lame.
"I don't think you fit any literary archetype, but I would definitely read about your adventures if someone wrote them."

After nearly a second of thought Hangetsu found Ren's literary equivalent. The beautiful maiden who wasn't aware of her beauty. The kind that ended up marrying brave and handsome princes. It was both sobering and depressing that the short, bespectacled cop did not consider himself to be that kind of story character. At best, he was the straight man or the side-kick. He never read a story where either type got the fair maiden.

Doubt compressed in his mind and made a fist which struck his very soul. Part of him was convinced that he would be dismissed once Ren got over her shyness and low self-esteem.
As with everything in Hangetsu's estimation, earthbending was the answer. Neutral jing. He would not push Ren away. He would not smother her. He would wait and see what unfolded. He would be Hangetsu. His bending teacher often joked that neutral jing came too easily to him, that he was far too happy to do nothing.
Until Ren displayed a positive or negative jing of her own Hangetsu vowed to stay neutral as he could. It didn't help that Ren made him bold enough to move forward and afraid enough to shrink away at the same time.
Hangetsu decided then and there that there must be no jings for love.

The metalbender stood up with a sly smile. He extended his hand to the air acolyte.
"Want to see the first jazz club we kissed at?"
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 7, 2012 18:42:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
She chuckled. "I don't think I'd be worth writing about." Ren spoke honestly; it wasn't a plea for attention or false humility. Giving Hangetsu a squeeze, she continued. "I'm probably one of those background characters — a fleeting, unimportant moment in time." While she often spoke depreciatingly, this was not the case. She loved the background characters, loved to imagine their lives before and after their interaction with the hero. One-shot characters had a special spot in her heart, so often ignored and dismissed. They had lives outside of the story; family, jobs, hobbies.

The two sat under 'their' tree for a while, listening to the sounds of the park (only slightly marred by the quite vocal Equalist activist). The sun began to dip in the sky, and Hangetsu shifted in his spot. Ren straightened, and the metalbender stood up, extending his hand to her.

Want to see the first jazz club we kissed at?

Blushing and smiling shyly, Ren took his hand and stood, brushing her backside free of dirt and grass. A quick look back to check --she was fine-- and she gave Hangetsu a nod. He was so brazen! Not that it was a bad thing. "Yes," she murmured, averting her eyes demurely.

They left the park, Hangetsu leading the way to Lemurland. They passed the Equalist speaker on their way out, feeling the speaker's eyes on her. She felt uncomfortable; this wasn't the usual 'awkward is-that-a-man-or-woman' look, but rather a look at her clothes and the person she was with. Hangetsu walked with a distinctive clink to his step, and even with his white suit it was relatively obvious from his shoes who and what he was. It was no secret that Acolytes were non-benders, and the speaker looked at her with obvious disapproval as she passed. In a rare moment of defiance, Ren met his eyes, her jaw set stubbornly. There was nothing wrong with being a bender, just like there was something wrong with not being one.

The defiance was short lived, and the grey-haired woman lowered her gaze, clutching Hangetsu's hand tightly as they left the park and continued on their journey. Ren smiled a little uneasily, trying to recapture the magic of the date. "So," she said as brightly as possible, "how did you discover Lemurland? What kind of place is it?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 7, 2012 21:06:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2012 21:06:27 GMT -6

As neutral as Hangetsu tried to make himself spiritually, Ren once more pushed him in the positive direction. It was difficult to stay centered when someone was dismissive of Ren...even when it was Ren herself.
He wondered how far he would have to go to defend the honor of his girlfriend. No answer was forthcoming as he soon wondered why he had thought of Ren as his girlfriend. How many dates would be the right number until the air acolyte claimed the title of "girlfriend"? This second date seemed too much a fluke to him. Perhaps after a third? That still sounded too soon to take that title as opposed to the one she currently held in Hangetsu's mind: "Slumming Goddess"?

Hangetsu's neutral jing was once more obliterated by Ren's mere existence when he mentioned Lemurland. Something about the shy acolyte emboldened Hangetsu in a way that confused him. While he had his doubts about his worthiness, part of the green-eyed, part time detective also felt that anyone Ren would honor with a second date was capable of anything. He had to remind himself every so often that he was that "anyone".

Ren tensed when the Equalist speaker became more audible. The Equalists were a polarizing lot and Hangetsu wasn't one to court controversy. It would be a foolish move for someone looking to develop something resembling a social life. Few knew his position on the Equalists. He felt that their struggle was meaningless. Nothing was truly equal. If pressed enough he would admit his view, but he would not elaborate...not unless in the guise of a joke.
"Equalists..." he said a scoff. "People are already equal. Equally inferior to earthbenders."
He spied a trash can and handed Ren some nails he had picked up. Nails formerly used to hold up a speaking platform.
"Would you throw those away, please?"
Upon retrospect, Hangetsu thought that aiding in the collapse of the speaker's platform as a source of humor might not have been the wisest course of action toward someone so peaceful.
Luckily, Ren asked about Lemurland.

"Once I graduated the police academy I had to find a place of my own. I had a small amount of money and a lot of clothes. I had completely taken over my sister's closet and was sleeping in her living room. I figured I had less than a week before she smothered me in my sleep."

With the trees of the park gone and once again on the paved Republic City streets Hangetsu felt a little colder and pulled his white overcoat tighter and then looked at Ren. Hangetsu had no idea how warm air acolyte robes were but they didn't seem to be as warm as his suit jacket and overcoat. Silently, the white overcoat was shrugged off and dangled in front of the air acolyte on the police officer's index finger.

"So, I'm walking down the street killing time because Izumi had a...gentleman caller and three is a crowd. If two of those three are brother and sister it's a particularly weird crowd when it comes to romance. I'm digressing. Sorry. Um, okay, I'm walking down..." he smiled as they turned a corner.
"This very street and next thing I know I'm face down sucking pavement. I thought a satomobile might have hit me but instead I see this huge guy running with an upright bass under his arm. I saw him run into Lemurland so I followed not sure what I was going to do. Then I got hit again."
Hangetsu let go of Ren's hand and slammed his fist into his open palm before taking it once again.
"After looking around for the guy I saw him on stage about fifteen minutes later. He knocked me down with his bass, then he knocked me out with it. It was like...musical bending. I came back every night and some days to listen to the music. Suigetsu hadn't been dead that long and my bending was still lost to me, but hearing that music made me feel better. In such a small place you get to know people fast, even the owner. He thought a cop could be trusted to make the rent and liked the idea of one upstairs in case of trouble. There is a lot of noise and I always smell a bit like cigarettes but it's cheap and I get all the jazz I want...and then some."

Hangetsu was forced to look at the club beneath his apartment with new eyes once he saw them with Ren beside him. The place that introduced him to jazz now seemed small and shabby compared to a place like The Golden Fan Saloon. They had gambling and dancers and colorful characters while Lemurland had stools repaired with tape and a boring metalbender living above. The most colorful part about Lemurland seemed to be the mural of a lemur playing the saxophone behind the stage where the band was sitting, smoking, and resting for their next set.
At most it fit fifty people and was in no danger of exceeding that limit.

It wasn't the Golden Fan, Hangetsu decided, but it was the first jazz club they would kiss inside. He would make sure of it.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 13, 2012 3:24:58 GMT -6

Equalists... People are already equal. Equally inferior to Earthbenders.

She turned to her date, looking down at him with eyes so wide her wire-frame glasses nearly slid down her nose and off her face. She was shocked. Shocked! How could Hangetsu think like that? Ren opened her mouth to reproach him, then snapped it back shut. He was joking. She felt like smacking her forehead with the palm of her hand. Of course he was joking. The Acolyte chuckled weakly, trying to hide her original misunderstanding. Hangetsu asked her to throw something away, and she held out her palm as he dropped in a few nails. Without a second thought, Ren deposited them into the rubbish bin on their way past the outer brick wall. They had only gone a few feet from the entrance when there was a loud crash. Ren turned quickly and saw that the speaking platform had collapsed! The crowd that had gathered stood around in shock, a few of them helping the Equalist speaker up as he shook his fist at Hangetsu's retreating back, hurling anti-bender epithets at the metalbender.

Obviously, there was no proof, but Ren squeezed Hangetsu's hand. By this point, he was already answering her question about Lemurland, so she made a mental note to try and remember to talk about it later. The night air was growing cool, and just as she was about to pull her robes tighter around her body, Hangetsu held out his coat for her to use. She smiled. He really was a sweetheart. Draping the coat over her shoulders (it was a little on the small side, especially with her robes in the way), she held his hand again as they continued on their way.

They rounded the corner, and the metalbender grew animated, talking about his first run-in --literally-- with the club. She giggled imagining the scene. It sounded lovely. The approached the entrance, and Ren smiled. It looked like a nice place, and looked like every so often, they gussied it up. There was a stand-like thing for ... whoever was in charge of letting people in, but it seemed abandoned. Perhaps they were early? People who appeared to be part of the band were outside, waiting for... something.

Before they went in, Ren tugged Hangetsu to the side, out of earshot of the band. Her voice was soft, and a little sad. Not mad, or upset, just... sad. "Please don't do that--" she gestured toward the park with a small bob of her head, "—- anymore?" she asked, her grey eyes staring at her sandals. "You're proving their point, that benders will abuse their powers. You have to be the best person you can be, so people can see past the hate." She turned to him and smiled a little, her tone a little more upbeat and encouraging, and squeezed his hand again. "Ready to go in?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 13, 2012 14:42:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 13, 2012 14:42:42 GMT -6

Hangetsu considered himself a good bender most of the time and a snappy dresser all of the time but never in his life had he ever thought himself a good liar. He grew up under the guidance of a grandmother to whom the most subtle nuance was a lighted sign of mendacity.
It was that reason that the white-clad policeman felt a perverse sense of pride at not showing the absolute horror on his face when Ren seemed disappointed in his behavior. How long would be it before it dawned on her that she could find someone better looking, more charming and not prone to acts of petty vengeance?
If he'd known he was capable of it he could have hidden it, possibly.

"I...I'll try in the future to restrain myself. That kind of thing isn't right for a cop to do. They just...you looked upset." Even such an awful liar knew to omit certain things such as the fact that Ren looking upset provoked images of finding the source and enacting cruel, inhumane justice.
Now that he was one of those sources Hangetsu didn't know how to react. Things were a lot simpler when he was single and lonely. His flaws were a lot easier to ignore without a human mirror around.

Everyone who had ever given Hangetsu relationship advice seemed to chime in at once when Ren squeezed his hand in a forgiving and affectionate manner. Han, Suigetsu, Izumi, his bending teacher even meddlesome strangers appeared in his mind to give him the same advice: You're a lucky guy. Don't you dare screw this up.
To answer these voices as well as Ren's Hangetsu said: "Yes. I'm ready for this."

He sighed when he saw the underwhelming jazz bar with new eyes. "It's not much but I think it has charm." He made a sweeping gesture with his hand. "If you find us a place to sit I'll see if I can motivate the band to play."

An mostly empty club and a pocket full of yuans courtesy of his sister gave Hangetsu an option he had not considered. It didn't take any yuans to get the band to take his requests but it took a couple of the pink papers to get help from the bartender to move the tables until there was a clear space in front of the stage.

As instructed the band began to play. So many jazz songs were about love gone bad but luckily "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "The Hour of Love" were standards in clubs.
"Along with acting like an ass at times I also can't dance." He reached out his hand to the tall acolyte with the grey hair. "But, more than anything I would like to dance with you...even badly."
He had two songs to convince Ren that he was possibly worth finishing the date. He prayed that he could do so without stepping on her feet.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 15, 2012 20:44:54 GMT -6

She laughed, not unkindly. "I appreciate the gesture." Ren smiled, covering her mouth with her hand delicately. "And yes, I was upset. But I'm sure that the speaker person was also upset after, right? And all the people around them." Ren deliberately used non-gendered language; sure, the speaker appeared to be male, but what if they were like her? Not that she'd ever heard of anyone else, but just in case. She tapped Hangetsu's nose affectionately. "Violence begets violence, darling. Treat others with kindness when you don't want to, because that is when it is most important."

Then she blushed. Slip of the tongue? No, she really meant it. But was it appropriate? Her face burned with the intensity of a thousand suns as she averted her eyes, scanning the room. The club was a little dingy, but you could tell that sometimes it got a little more dressed up (so to speak). "Maybe it's a slow night?" she murmured, noticing that there were folded tables and tablecloths hidden away, as if it housed a more dressed up event recently. "Maybe a fancy-dress party." As empty as the place was, though, Ren found it wonderful. The architecture was vastly different than that of the rooms on Air Temple Island; the design was a lot more modern and minimalist, with leather seating (something inside her, some Acolyte conscience, tisked a little), and a non-nation partisan décor.

But, more than anything I would like to dance with you... even badly.

Ren laughed, taking his hand and allowing Hangetsu to pull her to the dance floor. "I can't dance either!" she said, raising her voice a little to be heard over the music. "At least, I don't think so — I've never been asked!" She tried to keep her feet in her view without tilting her face to look at them. What if she stepped on his feet?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 15, 2012 20:45:15 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 16, 2012 0:23:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 16, 2012 0:23:49 GMT -6

Hangetsu had no idea that there was a word could cause him to wan to run across tables with his arms raised hooting with joy. He had heard and read it before but coming from Ren's mouth that word was practically a command to celebrate. Darling. He could almost feel his big sister punching in the arm in her "Way to go, little brother!" fashion.
There were more words around it but they didn't seem nearly as important.

The green, steel-toed boots Hangetsu wore were designed for street use and grinding on wires, not for being merciful to the toes they stepped upon. While he had softer shoes the metal bender also had an almost pathological fear of leaving his feet vulnerable ever since he first cut them sliding across wires wearing dress shoes. It never occurred to me that he would have to dance in them.

"You can keep your feet on mine."
Awkward and silly-looking but it beat crushing Ren's toes and it held the benefit of bringing them closer together.
Well aware of his more base temptations the white-clad young man reminded himself to keep his left hand at the air acolyte's waist and not anywhere below.

All of the major mentors in Hangetsu's life suggested dancing. Suigetsu suggested it as a way to attract women, Han a way to blend into crowds for spying, his bending instructor as a way to practice footwork and his sister Izumi because he allegedly looked "cute". He listened to none of them and only grudgingly learned a simple box step.

He felt like a child next to Ren's increased height but the feel of Ren's robes and her scent caused more mature thoughts. He remined himself that he lived just upstairs and then reminded himself that if he followed that line of thinking he would probably embarrass himself.

When asked about earthbending he once described it as being in a womb of warmth, protection and love. That is what he felt pressed against the fold if Ren's yellow robe.
He knew he would have to eventually pull his head out of the spirit world's earthly realm to make sure he didn't steer himself and Ren into a table. Fortuntely, he could gaze upward at the gray-haired acolyte's face and still keep some attention on his peripheral vision.

He wondered if would be considered creepy if he told her she had an intoxicating smell like something that could cause a man to fall into a deep sleep, happily dreaming until he died of old age.
"Um, you smell nice."

Twirling was out of the question and dipping was too dangerous a proposition given their height difference and the meek young man's inexperience. Swaying was all he had but it felt like enough. Suddenly, dancing seemed like a worthwhile skill to have.
"Do you have any dreams, Ren? Is there anything other than being an Air Acolyte that you would like to do?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 19, 2012 11:58:15 GMT -6

Ren laughed like a school girl, giggling as she placed her feet gingerly on Hangetsu's. She tried to shift her weight, suddenly very conscious of all the candy and confections she ate. But the metal shoes were made of sterner stuff, and the Acolyte found they held her weight quite well. She scolded herself; she was at a perfectly normal and healthy weight. It was hard, sometimes, to remember that, especially when dealing with certain societal ideals.

The tune was lively, and Ren found herself muttering under her breath, ONE, two-three-four, ONE, two-three-four... Theoretically, she 'knew' how to dance. She knew what cadence was, she knew what time signatures were, she knew which dances were appropriate for which situation, along with the supposed steps for each. In practice, however, Ren found herself bumbling along. Fortunately, her date didn't seem to mind, either not noticing her self-consciousness or not caring. Either way, the grey-haired young woman was grateful.

She thought absently that she would have to get a dress. A proper dress, not just her acolyte robes. Or... maybe there was a more 'dressed up' version of them? She'd have to ask. In any case, she would have to get something she could wear to places. Maybe she could get them custom made? Her day-to-day robes had been cobbled together from old robes from the other female acolytes. The sewing was near flawless, but it was apparent that the hem and sleeves had to be let out and some extra cloth added. She felt plain next to Hangetsu in his white suit, and promised herself to find someone — any one — to help her out with her appearance for next time.

Next time! Was she already thinking about that? She blushed, especially when her thoughts were interrupted by Hangetsu's voice.

Um, you smell nice

Even she found her reaction comical (a little). "Ehh?!" she jerked back just a little, unable to keep the smile or redness off her face. Her footing slipped slightly and she stumbled, laughing a little as her glasses slipped down the bridge of her nose. Righting herself and leaning just a little into Hangetsu, she gave him a small hug. "Thank you, but I don't really do anything..." And she didn't. She probably smelled dusty and paper...-y, like the books she spent so much time around, maybe slightly ink-y as well. Maybe a little ocean-y, considering her trip. And soap. Ren had made sure to wash her clothes the night before and herself the morning of. She bit her lip, racking her brain with possible ideas as to what, exactly, Hangetsu found so alluring.

Do you have any dreams, Ren? Is there anything other than being an Air Acolyte you would like to do?

There was a split second of silence following his words that disoriented her. Then the band struck up a bright, but slower tune. Ren leaned back a little to look at Hangetsu, feeling grateful that the music was a bit easier to hold a conversation under. "Um..." It was an odd question to answer. Being an Acolyte had never been one of her dreams. Like every child, she had grown up playing pretend - wanting to be a radio voice, or a magazine model, or a famous starlet — or even the Avatar. She had never entertained any of those thoughts seriously (especially the latter), or had any plans with what to do with her life. Now she was an Acolyte, out of ... not fear, but out of seeming necessity. But, even though that was the case, she was perfectly content with what she did now. Books were her passion, after all, and contributing to what was bound to be a great library of knowledge in the future was a wonderful and fulfilling thought.

"Maybe kids..." she said softly, without thinking, remembering how much she enjoyed playing with Meelo.

It took a few seconds for her own words to sink in. She gave Hangetsu a horrified look, certain that her face was as red as the Fire Nation symbol. "Oh! I... um... " She started to pull away.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 19, 2012 11:58:26 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 21, 2012 3:06:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 21, 2012 3:06:57 GMT -6

Ren's smell conjured up the charmingly odd sensation of reading a good book next to the sea. There was also a certain "Ren-ness" that he could not place. He wished he hadn't said anything. It made him sound creepy and canine to his ears. His grandfather taught him to cook and his grandmother to detect. Both believed a trained nose aided in these fields. He almost joked that he was part dog but he was afraid how that might sound.
Instead he asked about her dreams.

"Kids..."
The thought of starting a family made Hangetsu uncomfortable. Even as a child he was career-obsessed. Added with the fact that his own parents were more like friendly relatives who came by every so often none of the Tsukishima children thought parenthood as a worthwhile pursuit.
This prompted Hangetsu to indulge in one of his more embarrassing habits. Thinking out loud.
"I wonder what a Ren/Hangetsu child would be like."

Hangestu paused in horror and matched Ren's bright red face. That was definitely not a second date kind of conversation...unless it was a while from the first date and the first date went incredibly fast romantically.
Ren started to pull away and for a moment Hangetsu let her drift before gently pulling her back into his arms.
"I never really thought about it." He paused with his eyes cast downward. "Actually, that's a lie. I thought about it and decided I wouldn't be a good father. I'm a fair bender, an okay cook and mediocre detective but I'd make a terrible father."
A month ago Hangetsu would have considered himself a master in these fields but experience had whittled away a good deal of his arrogance. His bending still wasn't consistent and he'd eaten the food of better cooks and worked with a far greater detective than himself.

"Some people just aren't cut out for parenthood. What would I talk with my kid about?" He thought of how his father was barely around and how cold his relationship with his grandfather had become after Hangetsu decided to pursue a career in law enforcement.
"I can't imagine having to deal with a kid like I was."

His green eyes were half-lidded and aimed at Ren's chest but not in a lascivious manner. He simply could not meet her eyes. He didn't mean to say what he said.
Forcing his gaze upwards, Hangetsu smiled.
"You...you'd be a great mother."
Once their eyes met Hangetsu couldn't help but wonder what a child born of the two would look like. A little Rengetsu running around and bumping into things. Any child of theirs was sure to have abysmal visual acuity.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 11, 2012 19:35:14 GMT -6

The smile froze on her face as Hangetsu mused aloud what a child of their making might look like. Ren felt her body tense and her mind go blank as Hangetsu went on about children from their union, wondering what he could do for a child with his limited experience with children. An icy hand gripped her heart when he smiled at her and murmured, "You... you'd be a great mother."

Ren stopped moving all together, their eyes meeting for a brief moment before she looked away - at the floor, at the band, at anything other than Hangetsu. She let go of his hands, stepped off his shoes, and awkwardly rubbed her arm. "Um..." She reached up to her braid, anxiously tugging on it repetitively, alternating hands in a continuous, fluid motion. Her already-messy hair slowly unravelled from its confines as she struggled to find the words. How would she tell him? She thought she had made it clear on her first date, but she remembered that he had said he wasn't sure he understood what she was trying to say.

It was an awkward, absolutely mortifying situation. She felt her face burn scarlet, felt as if all eyes in the room were on her: the tall, gangly, scarlet-and-gold clad, grey-haired woman in the middle of the dance floor. Her eyes downcast, she tugged at Hangetsu's sleeve, signalling they should move off the floor and back to their table. She reached it first, flopped down unceremoniously in her seat, and waited miserably for him to join her.

Once he sat, she leaned forward, her voice low and unsteady. "I really... really don't know how to say this." She drummed her fingers on the table rapidly, her anxiety echoing in the wooden tattoo barely audible above the blare of brass. "I can't... I can't have kids," she finally said, her voice trembling with unshed tears. She tugged, somewhat violently, at her clothes near her chest. "There's nothing here," she spat, the loathing for her body creeping through her tone. "Nothing, not a thing." She balled her ink-stained hand into a fist and struck herself mercilessly without a wince. "Nothing."

This was it. The part where either Hangetsu would stay and understand, or run away forever, thinking he'd been deceived. She put her face into the table, covering her head with her arms in misery and shame. From somewhere under the swaths of cloth, her voice came, muffled. "Physically, I'm... male." It was a painful, painful admission. She had been able to forget, to ignore the fact since she'd come to Republic City, at least for the most part. But now, at just the smallest mention, all of her dissatisfaction with the discord she felt with her physical sex came rushing forward like a suddenly liberated dam.

"I'm sorry."

She knew that the apology was unnecessary, any more than one would apologise for being a firebender or a particular age. Still, she felt like she had somehow misled Hangetsu, somehow wasn't clear the first time around. A small, dry sob escaped her lips. Her eyes stung, hot with tears that she refused to let fall. Instead, she kept her face buried with her glasses pressing uncomfortably up against her face, and hoped either he didn't care, or that if he was revolted by her that he would have the courtesy to leave without another word.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 11, 2012 19:36:57 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 18, 2012 21:47:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 18, 2012 21:47:09 GMT -6

On a scale of stupidity it ranked at about forty Hangetsus but it was by no means the most stupid thing Hangetsu Tsukishima had ever said or would ever say.
Still, it was stupid. It also made Ren sad, making it evil as well. But as stupid and evil as his words were he still felt that his date would make a good mother.
There's nothing to apologize for...for either of us."

He gently caressed Ren's larger hand and looked up into her gray eyes and for a moment forgot about how awkward that was at their height difference.
"I stand by my idiotic remark. You are a kind and patient woman. Therefore, a good mother in the making. Your..." he tried to think of the right way to refer to her lack of a womb. Something tactful but that would get the point across. "Um...body gunk doesn't have anything to do with it. My mother could give birth but being an actual parent was beyond her."

Hangetsu fiddled with the band around his right ear that kept his glasses in position. It wasn't required but it gave him something to do with his hand.
"Physically male?" He shrugged his shoulders. "So what? You're a fantastic woman."

Delicately, Hangetsu reached across the table to Ren's face with his palms up and slowly so as to not provoke any misunderstandings. As if handling something made of fine crystal he took Ren's glasses from with one hand and leaned across the table. For a moment he thought he saw a tear fall, but it had not. He knew repressed tears when he observed close...and he was indeed close.

The right gesture was lost to him. Should he kiss her? Carress her cheek? Hangetsu was utterly lost and confused. To buy time to think he cleaned her glasses with his tie. The bought time turned out to be wasted. He didn't know what to do, only what he wanted. He stood and slid next to Ren and put his arm around her.
"Ren...I'll be here as long as you'll tolerate me. I'm not good with words so I can't say how much it hurts me that I made you cry or how crazy I am about you."

A silent moan escaped. To someone other than himself it may have sounded like a exasperated breath. He wished he could excuse himself to punch himself in the face. He'd been told that the second date was far too early to be spouting off about how crazy he was about someone.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 29, 2012 12:11:56 GMT -6

Ren didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

So she did both.

She laughed loudly, and tears fell from her eyes, her chuckles ending in half-sobs. She grasped the arm Hangetsu put around her and squeezed. "Silly," she managed to choke out through her laughter and tears, bringing his fingers to her lips and kissing them. She wiped her eyes with the sleeves of her robes - a nearly futile task, as the tears seemed to keep coming.

Hangetsu was moving fast. Too fast? Maybe. But it just felt... right. Ren cleaned her glasses — they had smudged from her faceplant into the table--, put them back on, and turned to look at her date. "I am so... happy you said that. Is happy a good word? It feels inadequate."

He said she was a fantastic woman.
A fantastic.
Woman.

She could've flown. Wasn't there a story about someone who flew on happy thoughts? Ren bet she could give him a run for his money. She threw her arms around Hangetsu and gave him a hug. "I really, really like you, too," she told him shyly, afraid if she pulled away she'd lose her nerve. Ren nuzzled her head against his. "If you think I'll be a good mother," she said, her voice dropping low, "then I think you'll be a good father."

Blushing red, she pulled back, staring at her hands but smiling from ear to ear. "We must look a sight, huh?" she murmured, feeling self-conscious. A lover's quarrel, her mind teased, and turning even redder Ren gestured back at Hangetsu's seat. "Please sit down," she said. "Not-—! Not that I don't enjoy this, I just... er, I mean...." She trailed off, and she looked up at him, hoping he'd understand that she didn't want to draw more attention to themselves. Not that people seemed particularly bothered, but Ren was hoping no one would come ask if everything was okay.

The grey-haired woman smiled at Hangetsu, kissing him lightly on the cheek before he went back to his seat. Once he was situated, she looked at him shyly.

"There's... there's this festival coming up, I've heard. Something to celebrate the upcoming harvest months. The elder Acolytes are making a big deal about it, making decorations and confections stacked to the highest temple roof." She giggled, then continued. "There's a small part of the festival taking place on Air Temple Island. I was... I was wondering if you would like to come with me..."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 1, 2012 22:14:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 1, 2012 22:14:15 GMT -6

A good father? Hangetsu almost laughed. The thought of raising a child even half as troublesome as himself and his sister terrified him. Between Hangetsu's unsupervised departures involving childish attempts at crime solving and his sister's tendency to rub nearly everyone she met the wrong way, child-rearing seemed to be far more trouble than it was worth.
"I have to disagree with you there. I'd be a terrible father. Besides, rebellion runs in the family and I don't want to have to deal with a little version of me who hates everything I stand for. It's what I deserve, though. I was an obnoxious little brat way back when."

Ren's invite to a festival broke Hangetsu's reverie and stirred up yet another memory. A young Hangetsu had asked his house-husband grandfather what he did all day while he and his sister were at school. His grandfather professed to be a student as well, only the field of study was something more esoteric. His grandfather studied his grandmother.

Suigetsu had joking called it "Hanology". The study of the habits and thought processes of Han Ye Seul. Suddenly, the idea of a singularly focused study of sociology didn't seem like such a humorous thing. Hangetsu could see how a man could dedicate his life to the study of one woman. After all, Ren was nothing if not utterly confusing.
Hangetsu wondered if he could dedicate himself to Renguistics.

How could he make such an utter ass of himself and still be accepted by the Air Acolyte? He pondered this as he took his seat from across from Ren. The detective in him wanted to know why but the man in him couldn't give one sliver of a care. As far as that part of him was concerned the only problem was saying "yes" in the most suave a debonaire way possible.
...Y-" He choked on his the first third of his one syllable answer.
"Yes. Very yes."

"....Questions abound. What should I wear? Will there be sky bison rides? Is the vegetarian thing enforced? Finally, will you be wearing a pretty festival yukata?"
For a moment Hangetsu could have sworn his spirit had fled and glimpsed himself. Elbows propped on the table with his fingers intertwined. It was the same posture and tone he used to interrogate. Sometimes it was difficult to switch from cop mode when asking questions.

With a nervous chuckle Hangetsu relaxed his posture and separated his hands.
"A festival sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't been to one in years."
Thinking back to festivals past made Hangetsu smile. Realizing that Ren had just asked him out for a third date made that smile expand to an almost painful degree.
"Every year my dad would take me and Zumi to the festival. I wouldn't see him or mom much but he's always be there around festival time. What about you? Any fond festival memories from your old town?"
Last edit by Deleted: Sept 3, 2012 10:43:57 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 2, 2012 1:08:15 GMT -6

She waved off his dismissal of his parenting skills. "Being a parent isn't about trying to quell rebellion," the woman said wisely. "It's about giving your children the freedom to discover themselves and guiding them only when necessary." Ren thought back to her parents trying to quell her own "rebellion" and shook her head. "If you remember what a hellion you were to your own parents, then there is hope for you as a father." She smiled encouragingly.

Was the second date too early to be talking about children? Probably. But it was a hell of a lot easier than planning to broach the subject in the future. And it wasn't like adopting would be difficult; the City had orphans abound. One of them would be welcome, perhaps, a not-so-traditional family.

Hangetsu choked on his answer to her invitation, and she giggled as she passed him some water. There seemed to be a lot of laughter today. Not that she minded. Ren held up her other hand as if to ward off Hangetsu's questions. He seemed quite alert, his body leaning forward as if ready to pounce on her answers. "One at a time, please!" Her voice was merry. "Let me see..."

Ren leaned forward in her seat, propping up her weight with her elbows. "Wear something comfortable, there are a lot of upward sloping paths. I think there will be rides, but only with the adult bison. The vegetarian thing won't be enforced, per se, but you won't find a lot to eat other than vegetarian dishes and pastries on the Island, but you can always bring something with you. And lastly..." --here, she blushed and covered her smile with her sleeve-- "Maybe. If I can find one that fits."

But that wasn't the issue. Her money was running low. Not that she needed money on the Island, but she hadn't much to begin with and with no way to replenish her income it wouldn't be easy to get. Maybe she could talk to one of the elders...

Any fond festival memories from your old town?

The question gave her pause; she tried to think of a time where she hadn't been at odds with her family. The night had enough awkward moments already. Surely she could summon one happy memory?

As if on cue, she remembered something. "There was a time, back when I was a wee child." Ren gestured slightly lower than the height of the table. "No bigger than yea high, and before ——" she bit her lip, then pressed on "—- before I started dressing like a woman. My father had me sat on his shoulders, watching a little parade. Our town wasn't very big, you see, but the harvest was very important. I sat on his shoulders, a pinwheel in my hands, and it was twirling and shining in the breeze." Ren smiled, remembering. "It was silver. I thought that when it spun it looked like the moon and the sun were sitting side-by-side in the sky."

Ren took a sip of water. Suddenly, she was incredibly thirsty. She took another sip, then another, and before she knew it half the glass was empty. She couldn't help but give a contented little gasp after she finished drinking. "Oh, my. That was unexpectedly refreshing."

She peered at Hangetsu, her hazel eyes curious. "What was it like, being raised by your grandparents?" she asked. "Did you always know they were your grandparents? I had someone in my town raised by their aunt and uncle, but they didn't know that until they were older."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 6, 2012 12:07:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 6, 2012 12:07:50 GMT -6

The humor of discussing parenting philosophies and finding contrasts did not escape Hangetsu. His grandmother Han had trained him to be careful and methodical while his grandfather Suigetsu taught him to charge foolishly ahead or else be mired in indecision.
Ren brought out the Suigetsu in him. As bad a topic as child-reading was on a second date Hangetsu proceeded forward.

"I have to disagree...um, respectfully disagree...with respect. I've seen the result of giving a child too much freedom. You get people like my father. Someone flighty and irresponsible. I wouldn't know how to deal with someone like that."

He paused and once more felt the need to clarify.
"Nothing against him or anyting...dad was a good guy. Took me and Zumi to the festival every year and was fun to be around. Just...you know, he and mom weren't much for, uh, well parenting."
He had a feeling that the topic of his childhood would not be dropped any time soon.

Hangetsu smiled at Ren's story even though in his mind she was a little girl with gray hair and glasses too large for her face. He knew it wasn't accurate but it was cute.
When Ren's question about being raised by Han and Suigetsu came Hangetsu felt less dread than he thought and more nostalgia than he had hoped. His date's attitude was infectious.

"Me and Izumi always knew that they were our grandparents while our parents were out doing something else. Han and Suigetsu were a little strange but when you are raised around people like that strange is normal. Han was a private detective. Really smart but not that good with people. Watching her observe everyday things and solve cases must be what it's like to see The Avatar bend. Like someone doing what the Gods meant for them to do."
He took a sip of water.

"Suigetsu was...um...one minute he was a good guy the next unbearably obnoxious. While Han was aloof he was embarrassingly open. He was the type of person who would jump into a volcano if someone told him not to. He taught me to cook and clean and when I discovered my bending he taught me about the different jings. He was a waterbender but he identified with the Earth Kingdom and it's philosophies."

"Since they were old Izumi had to look after me quite a bit but Han would always find time to read to me and Suigetsu never passed up an opportunity to splash us with water in the park. Suigetsu didn't want me to become a cop but even after we grew apart he was there for me when I really needed him."

He cast his eyes downward toward his water and sighed.
"I miss those two and I didn't treat them as well as I should have. I never told Han I loved or and the last thing I said to Suigetsu before he died was so vile I can't repeat it." He hadn't meant to add that last part but it was difficult to maintain a hold on his emotions when discussing his deceased grandparents.

"...Okay, something cheery. Festival...um, we should shop around for something for you to wear. I know it's not typically a guy thing but I like to shop for clothes. You should see my apartment upstairs it's like a book and clothes warehouse."

He groaned at how that must have sounded.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 6, 2012 16:19:38 GMT -6

She smiled patiently. "There is a difference between allowing children to discover themselves and giving them absolute freedom. Like Meelo." Ren's smiled became a grin. "He is definitely a handful of a child to his mother, I think. But he is a very smart boy, very kind, and very talented. Sure, he is headstrong, but he will grow up to be a very lovely young man." She stopped, her eyes gentle and a smaller smile on her lips. If this were to go anywhere — and she hoped it would — Hangetsu would come to the same realisation in time. She wished he could understand that children weren't things to be moulded or shaped, but that would be a lesson learned only with time and experience. She just patted his hand. "In any case, parenting is a learning experience for both parent and child. Be open and honest with children, and I think you will find that they will reciprocate."

As Hangetsu spoke of his childhood and his grandparents, her eyes widened as something clicked. "Han and Suigetsu?" she echoed. "Were you named after them?" She paused as Hangetsu confessed that he said something terrible to his grandfather before he passed; with a sympathetic tut, she reached across the table and grasped his hand. "I'm sure Han knows, and that Suigetsu knows you are sorry." Ren spoke with a certainty that could only come from knowledge. "If being an Air Acolyte has taught me anything these past few months, it's that the dead never truly leave us. The Spirit World exists, so it isn't that far of a stretch to think that a soul could live there, or another similar place." It wasn't that Ren was a particularly spiritual person, but it was hard to deny that Spirits and Souls existed when the goodness-knows-the-number'th Avatar was residing in the same place as she. The Avatar was a special case, being able to be reincarnated and remember all their past lives, but that proved only that there was a soul. It was said that some friendships transcended lifetimes, as well. Maybe other people were also reincarnated, but just didn't remember their past lives. She remembered hearing about the relationship between Avatar Aang and Toph Bei Fong — a relationship that seemed to echo that of Avatar Roku and an earthbending master named .... she couldn't remember. Something about the south...

We should shop around for something for you to wear. I know it's not typically a guy thing but I like to shop for clothes. You should see my apartment upstairs, it's like a book and clothes warehouse.

She grinned. "I know it's not typically a guy thing, but I like to wear women's clothes." It was a small joke. Now that it was out in the open, that her body was physically male, she felt a little bit more comfortable making light of it. Hangetsu said the magic words — books and clothes — and Ren's face lit up. "Really?" she demanded eagerly, leaning closer. "You live upstairs? You have books?" The scholar in her ached for more reading material. Fiction, non-fiction; biographical, instructional; Ren loved them all. "I love books." It was most definitely an understatement.

Somewhat shyly, Ren broached the subject of money. "I love shopping, but..." she felt her face flush a little again, "being an Air Acolyte isn't a paying job." Was the room getting warmer? "I have a little money from before I came to the Island, but we operate solely on donations and a mostly self-sustaining environment. Many of the Acolytes do not leave the Island, so there is not much call for financial stipends..." With a wave of her hand, she dismissed the topic. "As much as I would love a new outfit, I cannot afford one. It's no real loss, really — I doubt shops would have things that would fit." She gestured to her Acolyte robes. "These were already pieced together from worn-out robes from the other women."

Eager to move past her financial inadequacies, Ren changed the subject. "What kind of books do you have? May I see them?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 8, 2012 11:24:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 8, 2012 11:24:59 GMT -6

At first he didn't know whether to laugh at Ren's joke about wearing women's clothes not being a typical guy thing. He could keep himself from laughing but he couldn't keep himself from grinning like an idiot.

Ren seemed excited about the prospect of seeing the collection of books in Hangetsu's apartment. Hangetsu, in turn, was pleased with the subject drifting away from child-rearing.
He stood and made a sweeping gesture with his right arm to the stairs leading up to his apartment above Lemurland.
"Sure...it's like a small and less interesting library up there. Quite a few reference books and yuan-store novels. You know...the kind nobody admits to reading."

Upon reaching the first step of the stairs every girl-unfriendly item in his possession came to mind. Mostly literature of an erotic nature, the worst of which was written by his sister. The fact that Izumi Tsukishima published a series of short pulp serials using him as a template never ceased to be humiliating. The very fact that a voracious reader like Ren hadn't read the "Fleshbender" series featuring a police officer by the wholly unoriginal name of Hangetsu was something the real Hangetsu thanked the spirits for profusely.
Then he remembered that book.

Normally sealed within a seamless metal box inaccessible by any non-metal bender was a book of paintings of a certain Chief of Police in a series of risque poses and various states of undress. He could see it there on the small table in his small kitchen far outside of its metal box of shame. Between that and the Fleshbender series Hangetsu began hoping for a sudden fire. Surely there was a firebender he had wronged in some way and wanted revenge...if he was lucky.

Three deadbolts kept curious drunks from his apartment but there wasn't a single lock to be picked. Only a fellow metal bender could get in so Hangetsu felt safe enough. What worried him was fellow cops. Being in Internal Affairs made Hangetsu fear police reprisal should be ever manage to actually bust another member of the police force.

When the first two bolts were taken care of Hangetsu made a mental inventory of anything that might diminish himself in Ren's beautiful grey eyes. Erotic book of paintings on table, embarrassing pulp novels starring a pan-sexual version of himself were the only things he could think of.

The last bolt was slid out of position and Hangetsu crossed the threshold of his apartment with his eyes closed. Small, filled with books and racks of clothes. He had never thought of it before but with Ren with him his apartment seemed far too much like a flea market.

With a heavy sigh he didn't bother to hide Hangetsu pointed to two bookshelves on opposite walls and named them.
"Fiction. Non-fiction. Alphabetized by the last name of the author. Uh...I'll make coffee." Suddenly he had an excuse to speed to his kitchen and return his painted and bound shame to its rightful home. Had the book of Bei Fong-centric paintings been on his table he would have done just that. Instead it rested in his non-fiction bookcase in between a thick tome describing the eighty-five jings and a less ponderous one touching on different styles of earth bending.
A knot developed into his stomach. That knot then felt as if it were being batted around by a saber-toothed moose lion on fire. He knew what he had to do to keep Ren away from his far too visible erotica.
"In the fiction section you'll see some books my sister wrote. The Fleshbender series."
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 31, 2014 1:34:32 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 10, 2012 16:43:04 GMT -6

Hangetsu lead her up the stairs, then suddenly seemed to become uneasy. Had she pushed too much? She started to say that it was okay, that they could go back, but then he opened the door and invited her in. The apartment was small, but she had never lived on her own, never had her own place. Small as it was, it was wonderful. It was definitely cosy, though Ren thought it was a little barren. It seemed like something that would be a stereotypical bachelor flat, but a fair bit neater. She found herself thinking of changes she might make to the place, then stopped. Now that was getting much to far ahead. After all, she was an Air Acolyte. She'd never heard of Acolytes making a commute to the Island for daily duties. If this went anywhere at all, Hangetsu would have to come to the Island.

She bit her lip. A possible road block. He had all this great stuff here, living above Lemurland and in the City itself; there was no way he'd move to a monastic, vegetarian temple, even if it was only about a ten or fifteen minute boat ride to the mainland. Not to mention she didn't even know how Hangetsu would feel about living together. No, no. It was much to soon to even think about it! She pushed the thoughts away. No. Better to concentrate on building the relationship rather than solely having a whirlwind romance.

Hangetsu excused himself to make coffee, directing her to his two bookshelves. She nodded, and gravitated toward the non-fiction case. She was curious to see what kind of studies were interested in; if she could talk about anything to anyone, it was reading. She remembered Hangetsu talking about the different jings, and she wondered if he had any books on the subject. Bending was always a source of amazing information and technique; it was such a curiosity why some people could bend and others could not.

Before she was able to study the titles, however, Hangetsu called out from the kitchen, directing her to the fiction shelf. "Your sister is an author?" she asked, just a slight hint of amazement in her husky voice. She eagerly turned to the mentioned shelf, scanning the spines for the aforementioned "Fleshbender" series. Finding the first novel, she pulled it out from its spot and read the synopsis on the back.

Her eyes widened a little, realising just what kind of book it was. "Oh...!" She paused, then re-read the description. "Han--Hangetsu? You're in it?" She looked up in the direction of the kitchen. She would have never figured him for such a thing, but everyone had their little secrets. As far as secrets went, this wasn't that bad. And the book itself seemed interesting. Ren wondered how it would be, to read a book like this where the protagonist was — or at least shared the same name as — her..... er, what was he? Boyfriend? Lover? Struggling internally, she finally decided on something a bit more neutral: her person.

Flipping through the pages with a certain level of reverence common in the most dedicated of bibliophiles, Ren skimmed the pages of Hangetsu's sister's novel. From their brief encounter earlier that day, she wasn't really that surprised to discover that she was an author of this type. Determinedly skipping over some of the more risqué passages, Ren spoke up again, pushing her glasses back up her nose.

"Have you ever heard of Omoi Tenoh?" she asked curiously. "She writes things like this too. I was in a bookstore about a week ago and found one of her novels, The Fire Lord's Spear? I... I bought it." Her tone was a little embarrassed. "It's... It's pretty good!" she said defensively, pre-empting any strange looks or questions. "I mean, I mean, did you know it's also somewhat based in history? Not the uh... um... racy... bits, the other stuff. At least, that's what the store clerk told me." Ren wondered briefly if the clerk was okay. He had left the store rather abruptly after striking up a conversation with her. She never did find out if they had a book on genders, either.

"It was a good book."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 16, 2012 12:37:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 16, 2012 12:37:05 GMT -6

With his erotic picture book tucked safely under his white suit jacket Hangetsu felt a momentary relief.
The moment lasted until he saw Ren perusing the first book in the Fleshbender series.
The very scenario of someone Hangetsu wished to impress reading Fleshbender was the reason Izumi Tsukushima lent her brother money so freely.

"Zumi meant for it to be an adventure series but her editor suggested she sex it up some. Her stuff is about as low as brow can get. Not many character arcs and development so much as someone being seduced or kicked in the face. Not exactly literary, but...dumb fun."

The mention of the name "Omoi Tenoh" provoked a round of chuckling that seemed more in line with a villain in one of his sisters serials.
"Yes..." he said a little awkwardly through his smiling laughter. "I have a passing familiarity with Tenoh's work." He put his fist just under his nose to stifle his laughter but it still came out in abrupt snorts.

After his laughter subsided Hangetsu felt the need to explain. "Omoi Tenoh...Zumi's alleged rival. It's entirely one-sided, but Zumi makes me read everything he writes."

During his fit of laughter the tenuous grip on his collection of erotic drawings ceased causing the second book-based humiliation.
As terrible a liar as he was Hangetsu felt like a little kid again trying to cover up an unpleasant truth with an unbelievable fiction.
The relaxed laugh he had planned came out in awkward gasps.
"Wah, heyh, ha." As much as he could Hangetsu smiled through his gritted teeth.
"I see you found my sister's gag gift for me. She has that kind of sense of humor."

Every sign of lying Hangetsu had been trained to detect by Han had been displayed flagrantly. Living with a detective and being taught her trade made him a passable detector of lies but one terrible at creating them.
"Um...it's mine. Uh, how much money or how many books will it take to make you forget you saw that?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 16, 2012 19:57:25 GMT -6

She perused the Fleshbender novel with a keen, almost scholarly interest, glossing over some of the racier passages. Not, exactly, that she wasn't interested in reading those too; it was just something she thought might not be appropriate. Hangetsu was laughing, not unkindly, at her mention of Omoi Tenoh. She blushed, laughing just a little too. What a strange, strange night.

In his laughter, something dropped from under the metalbender's coat. Instinctively, Ren stooped to help him pick it up. Hangetsu, on the other hand, froze, his laugh — that had just moments ago been so pleasant — coming out in awkward gasps. He called it a 'gag gift' from his sister, but Ren just looked at him quietly, an eyebrow arched. He crumbled under the weight of his own falsehood, though, and admitted to ownership.

Um... it's mine. Uh, how much money or how many books will it take to make you forget you saw that?

Making a thoughtful face, Ren picked up the book and made a show of studying it closely. Chief Bei Fong couldn't have posed for these; she admired the artist's rendition of the woman, however. Looking up at Hangetsu playfully, Ren shook her head.

"I don't know, dear," she told him in mock-seriousness, flipping through the pages as if taking stock of its contents once more. "This is such a shock! Maybe I'll need a dozen new books. Or twenty!" She landed on a particularly risqué image. "I take that back. I need a hundred books!" Dramatically, she pushed the paintings back into Hangetsu's arms, then rested the back of her hand on her forehead. "Oh dear, oh dear."

But she couldn't hide her mirth for long; her husky, wood-smoke laugh filled the small flat as she put her arm around Hangetsu and kissed him sweetly on the cheek. Here in his flat, away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world, Ren felt more at ease and safe. She didn't have to worry anymore.

Tucking a loose strand of her grey hair behind her ear, she waved at the collection of pictures. "It's okay, really," she tried to reassure the metalbender. While she didn't exactly do 'that' sort of thing herself (there was just no enjoyment, considering that she was at odds with her physical form), it wasn't any of her business what Hangetsu did to take care of that for himself.

"Really, I understand. Don't worry about it." Smiling, she moved back to the book case and knelt in front of it, mouthing the titles written on the spines. Understanding Hangetsu's discomfort, she changed the subject back to the Festival.

"Maybe we can go on a bison ride," she said, thinking it would be lovely to see the City from the sky. "I hear there is also a costume party being held somewhere in the City."
This user is Mod