The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Love is in the Air Acolyte [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Jun 14, 2012 16:28:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 14, 2012 16:28:42 GMT -6

Side-walk bending was not encouraged even when working and much less so when not on official police department business. Hangestu thought there should be an exception for distraught women, especially pretty ones. With a single stomp of his left foot a small bench of concrete arose which Hangetsu sat upon and led his date to do the same.

As unnecessary as it felt the shy bender put his coat over Ren's shoulders when she sat and immediately took her hand again. She looked close to tears and Hangetsu knew he couldn't handle it if even one fell from one of her beautiful brown-gray eyes.
As a teenager Hangetsu had tagged along on an investigation regarding a sexual assault. Since that day he'd been leery of touching women without expressed consent and couldn't stand crying. Still, he felt the need to touch Ren and kept his free arm over her shoulder after he threw his overcoat over her.

If words were difficult in the restaraunt they were next to impossible sitting next to her on the street. He pulled her toward him. It just felt right.
"I...I can't lie to you, Ren. I don't understand. I know what you mean, but I don't understand. I don't think I ever will. I..." He took a deep breath and sighed. "I just know that I like being around you even though you make me so nervous."

Naturally, people slowed to look. It was an odd scene. A recently bended bench on the sidewalk with a tall, pretty air acolyte and her short earth bending date sitting on it. Most sensed the mood and moved on trying to mind their own business.

He thought of Ren's plea not to hate her and almost thought it too stupid to respond to. Still, he supposed that sometimes people needed encouragement no matter how obvious. To Hangetsu it seemed that anyone in a mile wide radius could sense his attraction.
"I don't hate you, Ren. You're too wonderful to hate. Too wonderful to even dislike slightly. I bet even your worst enemies adore you." He leaned over and tilted his head into an awkward position until his eyes met with the Air Acolyte's.
"I want to see you again. I'm confused and lost but that I know for sure. You're too special of a woman for me not to fight for." He paused for a long moment and wondered if he should get up and leave or say something else.
Something else came to mind.
"It seems like your whole life you have been subject to other people's terms. I will go by yours with no reservations. If you would like to see me again I would be glad. If not..." He trailed off. He didn't want to finish that thought, much less that sentence.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 16, 2012 16:33:02 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 15, 2012 7:08:20 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Weakly, Ren took the proffered seat, marvelling only vaguely how useful earthbending must be. Hangetsu draped his coat around her and she clutched it tightly to her body. It wasn't cold, but she was shivering. The man put a strong arm around her and pulled her close. The woman flinched slightly, not out of distaste but out of surprise. She couldn't remember the last time someone had hugged her.

Her heart sank when Hangetsu said he didn't understand. He clarified, trying to explain that he knew what her words meant, but not necessarily if he could empathise. Ren nodded mutely; it was a start, at least. He hadn't run from her, screaming; he didn't spit in her face, call her a freak, tell her she was disgusting. In fact, he had done the polar opposite — he had comforted her, held her, reassured her. She blinked back grateful tears, oblivious to the passerby trying their best to give them privacy.

Slipping her hand out of the coat's cocoon, she timidly wrapped ink-stained fingers around Hangetsu's hands. Warm, she thought disjointedly, her stomach flip-flopping as he told her he liked being around her, even if she made him nervous. Ren had to smile a little at that. She made him nervous?

The metalbender continued to praise her, reassure her, eventually dipping down to meet her gaze. Brown-grey eyes met dark green over the frames of her glasses and his; her heart leapt to her throat as he told her that he wanted to see her again. That she was worth fighting for. That even though he was confused and uncertain, it had nothing to do with her as a person and he wanted — wanted! — to see her again. Ren searched his face for lies or politeness, but saw nothing except honesty.

It seems like your whole life you have been subject to other people's terms. I will go by yours with no reservations. If you would like to see me again, I would be glad. If not...

The corners of her mouth twitched and Ren laughed softly, a single tear escaping her eye unnoticed. "I would love to," she murmured happily. Impulsively, she leaned in and kissed Hangetsu, her eyes fluttering closed as her lips made contact.

Then reason returned and she pulled back, mortified, pushing herself away from him and to the other end of the makeshift bench.

"Oh! Oh my gosh! I- I am so sorry!" Her pale face flushed as scarlet as her sash as her hands flew to her mouth, eyes wide. What on earth had come over her?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 16, 2012 20:00:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 16, 2012 20:00:47 GMT -6

If body language could be expressed verbally Ren's flinching as Hangetsu embraced her felt like a four hour seminar on keeping his distance. Then her body said something else entirely to which the officer could not even react to at first, much less respond with something as physically elegant.

Hangetsu couldn't help but wonder if Ren knew that her lips could bend time. He remembered seeing Lin Beifong for the first time, the first time he asked a woman out and his first kiss. Upon examination that first kiss was only a inebriated young cadet at the police academy and he felt it more because it was traditional to kiss someone on New Year's Eve.
This was his first kiss, as far as he was concerned and it was pretty damn great. Worth the twenty year wait and every awkward second between puberty and that moment.

It appeared that Ren would literally explode from blushing. He hated to think what he himself looked like. He felt like his blood would physically leave his body by shooting out like a geyser.
Yet, despite the threat of a blood tsunami all Hangestu wanted was another kiss.
Boldness toward women was not Hangetsu's typical modus operandi, but then neither was being kissed by beautiful women. He slid next to Ren with a speed that spoke his fear that another man would take the empty spot between them.
Every man in Republic City became a rival for Ren's affections at that moment in Hangetsu's love-fevered imagination.

More than anything he wanted to tell her not to aplogize for something that spectacular but he could not speak. He was too afraid that he'd either start squealing like a maniac of laughing like one. Either way some sort of verbal mania would be involved.
He slid in front of Ren and took her hand in his. He liked the idea of it being larger than his own. The more area to discover the better and despite some...comparable formations it was something he felt eager to explore.

Gently, he reached to Ren's face and beneath her glasses to wipe the tear from her cheek.
He thought it a good sign that she had run but not far. His other hand went to her other cheek and he remembered earlier in the evening when he described the feeling of by covering her cheeks with his warm hands.
Hangetsu wished to be that source of feeling for Ren.

Slowly and deliberately the shaking policeman leaned in to taste Ren's lips once more to see if they were still available, if the long-ago action of moments ago had been lost to time.
Almost resting his chin on Ren's shoulder, Hangetsu put his mouth to Ren's ear, as he was afraid he could not speak above a whisper.
"Time and place. That's all you need to say to summon me."

While kneeling in front of Ren Hangetsu wrote his address along with directions on the back of a business card for Lemurland. It was the first time ever that he wished he owned a telephone.
He paused and wrote town the phone number of the detective he worked for. Tae-yeon would most likely be annoyed but that was a small price to pay to set up a second date...should the Gods be so kind.

"Would you like me to walk you home, Ren?" He gently pulled at her hand and stood with more than a little discomfort. Hangetsu wasted not time in taking back his black overcoat to cover up the source that particular discomfort.

With his coat back on and the blood in his body starting to even out it's distribution Hangetsu pushed up his fedora and held out his arm for his date to take hold of and hopefully never let go.
"Shall we?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 0:56:52 GMT -6

Far from being offended, Hangetsu pursued her. Ren could only gasp in surprise as he leaned in for another kiss. For a moment, she forgot to breathe, lost in the sensation of something so intimate. She could vaguely taste the drink he'd had, and the sweetness of that egg custard. He smelled vaguely metallic, and she presumed it was due to his profession; it wasn't unpleasant by any means. When he finally pulled away, he whispered in her ear that all she had to do was contact him and he would be there. Feeling like a fool — in a good way — Ren smiled, not bothering to cover her mouth. Despite it's size, she doubted her hand would be big enough to cover it.

Hangetsu handed her a business card for that jazz club he had spoken of, Lemurland. She turned it over, and on the back was an address and a telephone number. If possible, her smile grew even wider as she tucked it into her robes, thinking that it might be her most prized possession. Her date stood and put his coat back on; Ren was too busy gathering her things and making sure her pen was still tucked behind her ear to notice anything else. Finally, she stood, brushed off her robes, and took his proffered arm with a gentle and pleased smile. Emotion-struck, Ren didn't notice any one trying hard not to look at the obvious height difference."

"I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to go all the way to the Island," she murmured, "but you can at least walk me to the docks." Placing her other hand on Hangetsu's arm too, she started forward and they began their journey through the City. "Maybe..." the woman stammered shyly. "Maybe we don't have to walk so fast." She hoped he'd agree, looking up at the metal cables overhead. "I'd never have noticed these if you hadn't pointed them out," she said contentedly. "I normally walk looking at the ground. It's easier not to ... er.. trip, that way." Or be tripped, she added silently.

OOC: Sorry for length, didn't want to godmod Hangetsu's actions too much.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 18, 2012 0:57:15 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 19, 2012 14:13:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 19, 2012 14:13:00 GMT -6

It wasn't quite the situation Hangetsu had in mind when he imagined walking down the street with a beauty on his arm, but it was still better than he had hoped. The men in the Tsukishima family, his father and grandfather, both told him of the joy of walking down the street with a lovely woman at their sides. It wasn't until that moment Hangetsu saw the appeal.

Hangetsu also had misgivings about visiting Air Temple Island, not for breaking any rules but that the thoughts rushing through his mind might somehow contaminate their collective spiritual unconsciousness. They were decidedly unspritual.
When Ren stammered about not walking so fast Hangetsu almost felt like stopping entirely. For once he was glad of his short legs and the small strides he took in walking. He would have been content to sit in the middle of the street and have traffic directed around him if the pretty Air Acolyte were by his side.

Ren's revelation coupled with her demeanor and knowing people Hangetsu assumed that she'd seen more than her share of cruelty. He wondered if they had met earlier in their lives if the same feelings would develope. Would the persecuted, feminine boy have an interest in the shy boy being dragged through crime scenes by his grandmother?
He remembered being picked on on as a boy and he was only shy and obsessed with police work. A person like Ren...Hangetsu didn't want to think about it, but couldn't help imagining how cruel people could be.
He pulled Ren closer to him.
"Maybe one day I can bend you around..."
He blushed and grimaced. "I mean use earthbending to move you around like skating. I used to do it for my sister as kids." Hangetsu neglected to mention he knocked out one of Izumi's teeth doing so, but his bending had improved since then.

"Or maybe a tour. I'm sure there's something you have wanted to do since you came but couldn't. Name it and I'll make it happen."
It took only a second to regret saying that. He wasn't by any means rich or well-connected enough for a dream date. No airship rides or dining at Kuang's Cuisine. Instant ramen and listening to the sound of jazz that lifted up from his floor was about it. He knew he'd enjoy it but didn't know about Ren.
Hangetsu felt that the second date would be where he was truly tested. It had to be something special. Squealing, deep sighs, awwws, shy giggles, Hangetsu wanted all of the stereotypical swooning woman responses from Ren on his second date.

"I think I forgot to mention something. I had a wonderful time with you, Ren."
He hadn't anything against the docks before but now that they were in sight at the edge of his vision he suddenly hated them. Hangetsu sighed and recalled Ren's suggestion that they not walk so fast. Damn she was cute.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 20, 2012 2:52:40 GMT -6

Ren giggled at Hangetsu's words, not catching the double-meaning that others may have gleaned. "That sounds like fun!" she said excitedly, squeezing her date's arm briefly. "I haven't had too much to do with benders." The woman was thoughtful as she recalled her hometown. "I think there were a few earthbender-farmers, but neither of my parents had any bending ability. I'm not really sure what my heritage is, either." The woman pointed to her brown-grey eyes. "It looks like Earth Kingdom, but there's yellow, too, which is Fire Nation. I've never really asked though. It didn't seem important compared to... other... things..."

She could have kicked herself. Why did she keep bringing up unpleasant memories during an otherwise (extremely) lovely date? Ren bit her lip, fretting. What if she was bringing down the mood? Hangetsu seemed not to notice though (or he was pretending), so she tried to ignore that nagging feeling.

Name it, and I'll make it happen.

With a squeal, Ren gave Hangetsu a big hug, her right leg bending at the knee in a decidedly 'girly' fashion. "Really?" she asked, her voice cracking with glee. "You mean it?" A myriad of things passed through her head until she finally settled on an answer. Stopping dead in her tracks, she turned to Hangetsu, her grey eyes shining. "I would love to see a probending match!" she said, her voice breathless. "I don't really care who is playing — I don't really know any of the teams except that Avatar Korra is on one — but it's so rare for me to see any real bending that I would love to go! It sounds so exciting!" Her voice was hopeful as she hooked her arm with her date's again and resumed walking.

"I think bending is fascinating!" she told him, chattering quietly but excitedly about her pet subject. "Why do people have it? Why don't people have it? Why just certain elements? Why the divide between nations? The first benders were taught by nature, but how did they discover that they could?" The woman spoke quickly, her obvious passion in the study of bending arts quite evident. "Oh... I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to babble." Ren blushed, her ears feeling hot.

The docks appeared quite suddenly (to her, anyway), and she saw the Island ship already loading the week's food supplies. One of the acolytes waved at her, and Ren blushed even redder, giving a small, weak wave back. "I... I guess this is my stop," she murmured.

I had a wonderful time with you, Ren.

She giggled and looked at the floor, feeling her face might explode if she blushed any more. "R-really?" she stammered shyly. "I had a wonderful time with you too, Hangetsu." She patted her robes, right over her heart. "I will call you as soon as I can, okay?" The woman smiled gently and leaned in to give him another small, sweet kiss. "Thank you for dinner," she added.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 20, 2012 2:52:59 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 21, 2012 15:52:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 21, 2012 15:52:38 GMT -6

The way Ren grabbed his arm when he mentioned bend skating made a small, embarrassing squeak emerge. It didn't slip Hangetsu's notice how much they both had relaxed and opened up after kissing. It made him wonder why people waited until so late in the date to kiss when it seemed to be such a great ice breaker.

Ren's excitement at bend skating was infectious. For once Hangetsu was confident in his ability to earthbend and knew that he could show his date a good time with little or no injuries suffered.
When the Air Acolyte pointed out her differently colored eyes Hangetsu took the opportunity to gaze into them even though he was already acquainted with the color.
"My heritage never meant much to me, either. I'm a quarter Water Tribe but my grandfather never passed on any traditions or anything. Neither of my grandparents cared much for culture or tradition so I don't think about heritage much."
Mentioning his grand-parents caused a momentary lapse into sad nostalgia.
That didn't lost long due to Ren's squealing and sudden hugging when he mentioned that he would take her anywhere she wanted.

"Really? You mean it?"
Hangetsu couldn't help but grin at Ren's enthusiasm even if he had to groan a little at Ren's hug, as she was stronger than she looked. He didn't know he could do that to a woman.
It was a bit of a surprise to hear her request going to a pro bending match. A crowded and loud place didn't seem like it would be the first choice of someone who soft-spoken and demure. Her enthusiasm made Hangetsu wish that his bending was consistent so he could show off...then again his few bending feats that night came with no trouble. Bending came to him when he felt adamant and no conflicted and there were no conflicts when impressing Ren was concerned.
"I mean it. We'll take in a bending match whenever you want."

The same woman who blushed when he pressed his palm against hers earlier that night hooked her arm into Hangetsu's seemingly without hesitation. The way she talked about bending did something that Hangetsu thought impossible. It made Ren even more beautiful. She could be morose but the tall acolyte had an endearing enthusiasm. Then she blushed again and made Hangetsu give up on putting Ren's beauty on any sort of scale since she broke them with such ease.
I...I guess this is my stop."

As much of a punch to the soul it was see the dock Ren's last kiss made it worth it. For a moment Hangetsu was worried his card was lost but Ren patted it like it meant something to her. When she thanked him he smiled.
"You're welcome. We shall meet again, beautiful woman."

It was probably the least cool thing he could do but Hangetsu climbed the nearest pole to see Ren for another few seconds.
Normally, Hangetsu was wary of riding the wires because of his bending deficiency but that night he felt like he could do anything.
More than a few people looked up to see the blur across the wires laughing like a madman.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 3:22:30 GMT -6

OOC: Godmode-y bits for Tae-yeon done with Zombi's permission, and she'll be NPCing her half of the convo whenever it's appropriate during your RP at her office. :3 Ohohoho~ Also, it's a bit long soooo. :X

Ren felt like she was floating on air. Maybe she was an airbender afterall! Laughing to herself, she headed for the ship back to Air Temple Island, waving at Hangetsu once she was boarded. It wasn't long before they pulled away from the harbour, and Ren waved and waved and waved until she couldn't see him on the shoreline anymore. Even then, she didn't turn away, staring at the coastline with an absent, happy smile on her lips. The other acolytes smiled indulgently and let her be.

It was a fifteen or twenty minute boat ride back to the Island, depending on weather; the time flew by unnoticed by Ren. It wasn't until another acolyte tapped her on the shoulder that she realised (with a start) that they had arrived home. Blushing, she murmured her thanks and made her way through the archway and up the stairs, her mind reeling with the night's events. She felt breathless, and it had nothing to do with the incline. Hangetsu was so wonderful, so dizzyingly wonderful. She all but danced her way to her room in the 'family' quarters, oblivious to the sounds of the other acolytes coming back from dinner.

Shutting her door tightly, Ren twirled around in her room before flopping down on her bed, laughing softly. What a night! She took Hangetsu's card out of her pocket; pressing it against her lips briefly, she set it up against the lamp on her nightstand with the 'Lemurland' logo facing away from her.

Then she had a thought. When should she call him?! Instantly, the warm, fuzzy feelings were replaced by stomach-wrenching anxiety. Now was too soon, surely — there was no way to tell if he was even home! If she called tomorrow, would it be too soon? Would it make her seem too desperate, too eager? Or —- she gasped. What if he gave her a fake number? Her eyes widened, and she stared at the business card, sitting innocently in the lamplight.

He didn't! Of course he didn't! ... Right? Her vision blurred, and she wiped the tears away. No. She'd believe in Hangetsu. She had to. Otherwise... Ren shook her head. No, there was no otherwise. She would never be at peace with herself if she constantly distrusted everyone. Feeling slightly calmer, she changed into her sleeping clothes, brushed her teeth, and combed out her long hair. Crawling into bed, the woman nestled snugly into her covers and switched off the light. Taking off her glasses, she stared at the blurred outline of the business card until her eyes succumbed to sleep.

—————-

And didn't wake up until well after sunrise. With a start, she leapt out of bed, jammed her glasses on her face, hastily slipped into her robes, tucked Hangetsu's card into her sleeve, and braided her long hair even more messily than usual. She shamefacedly arrived at the library, ignoring the giggles of the other Acolytes. She felt her face burn as she sat down to work, transcribing her notes from lessons into a large, paper volume. Soon, she was engrossed in her work, only looking up when someone tapped her on the shoulder for lunch. Ren nodded, but excused herself to go to the main... "office", so to speak, of the temple.

Stammering, she asked the clerk if she could use the phone — privately. He grinned at her (it was the same person who had welcomed her to the Island on her first day) and left the room, closing the door behind him. Taking a deep breath, she fished Hangetsu's number out from her robes. She dialled the operator and asked to be connected.

It was the longest moment of her life. The phone rang once. Twice. Three times. On the fourth ring, a voice crackled to life.

Ren's hard sank to her toes. It was a woman's voice! Had she been wrong about Hangetsu after all? Summoning every ounce of courage she could, the grey-haired woman squeaked out her name and a request for Hangetsu, wrapping the phone cord around her index finger over and over again.

There was a pause, and Ren bit her lip. Had she gambled and lost? She heard the woman mumble something like she had covered the mouth piece with her hand, then her voice came back clearly. She was laughing. Bewildered, Ren stammered out a shy 'hello' in response to the other woman's "Hello there, ma'am!" What was going on? Was this his sister? No, it was that detective he had spoken briefly of at the restaurant; apparently, her name was Tae-yeon, and she asked what she could do for Ren.

It took her a moment to answer. "Ah... I was just hoping that Hangetsu was there..." Ren fiddled with the phone cord some more. "But, since he's not, could you please tell him that I had a lovely time last night, and to let me know whenever he has the tickets? I'm not sure what the telephone number is here, but I figure it is in the 'phone book —- Air Temple Island," she added, likely unnecessarily. Tae-yeon laughed again, and said she'd tell him. "Oh, thank you!" Ren breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh!" she said again as an afterthought. "Could you tell him I'd like to see him again — before the next probending match? Maybe next weekend?"

The woman detective agreed again, and once more the Acolyte thanked her. Then, Tae-yeon asked something Ren didn't expect.

So, listen. What are you intentions with my pitiable police pal?

"I-- What?" Ren stammered, confused. Tae-yeon clarified, saying that Hangetsu was a relatively decent guy, and she didn't want him being 'played'. It took a few seconds to understand what the other woman meant.

Her free hand flew up to her mouth, scandalised. "OH! Oh, oh, no, nothing of the kind! H-he was very nice and sweet, and he has lovely eyes and he kisses really nicely and I just wanted to see him again-——!" Ren trailed off, her hand clutching the receiver so hard her knuckles turned a sickly white.

Oh, so it's just typical puppy love stuff? Carry on, then. By the way, there's this book you should read....

And she rattled off the name of a book and author. "I love books!" Ren exclaimed excitedly, unable to help herself. She tried to find a piece of paper to write on, but found none. She hoped she'd remember. Thanking Tae-yeon profusely, Ren hung up and all but skipped to the dining hall.

———-

The next weekend, Ren arrived on the docks at about half past four in the afternoon. She had left a message with Tae-yeon again, and hoped that Hangetsu had received it. She stood around, uncertainly, scanning the busy dock for Hangetsu's familiar face.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 22, 2012 6:25:07 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 15:19:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 15:19:46 GMT -6

They had a distinctive smell, Omashu Blacks. Hangetsu knew only one person who smoked that brand and it was the last person he wanted to see then.
There she was smoking her black cigarette looking like she just woke up which was likely. Izumi Tsukishima kept odd hours. She ran her fingers through her disheveled bob haircut and yawned before tossing a roll of pink bills her little brother's way.
She pushed up her black, rectangular glasses with a devilish grin. "You're going to need that if you hope to make the beast with two backs, invade her south pole, dig some tunnels with your pink badger mole and otherwise fleshbend."

A combination of rage and embarrassment caused Hangetsu to turn a darker shade of red than usual. Hangetsu stopped in his tracks and grabbed his big sister by the shoulders to illustrate how serious he was.
"Izumi...please. I'm nervous enough without worrying about you putting this in one of your pulp novels. I really like her and I don't want this messed up."
Izumi flicked her little brother's forehead and smiled. "Of course."

Hangetsu checked his lucky white suit for stains and straightened his lucky green tie that matched his eyes as he saw Ren at the dock. He gave his sister one final look to convey that something horrible and metal bending related would happen if she were to humiliate him in any way.

Just in case the family resemblance wasn't enough Hangetsu made sure to point out that Izumi was not his girlfriend who came as part of a cruel practical joke.
"My sister Izumi." He shot a glare at his sister. "She doesn't talk much."
Hangetsu felt a punch in his right shoulder and hung his head in shame.
"Little brother, you hound! She's such a tomato." She took Ren's hand and shook it. "Be good to my little brother now." She bent over to whisper into Ren's ear. "He's not that little."

Hangetsu didn't want to think about what his sister might have whispered to his date then gave her a look that if she didn't leave she would be bended away.
"Sorry about Izumi. She's...well, I can't think of a word for her."
He reached out for Ren's hand and smiled before his mind blanked.
"Uh, you look pretty. So...what would you like to do?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 4:35:36 GMT -6

Hangetsu stood out like a sore thumb on the docks, in a white suit and green tie. Ren smiled and waved, not noticing the woman who stood next to him. The grey-haired woman felt a little silly to be in the same clothes as before. Well... they weren't exactly the same, she had a few robes, but they all looked identical. Pushing her glasses back up her nose, she stopped just short of Hangetsu and tilted her head, noticing his companion for the first time. Tae-yeon? No, Hangetsu introduced her as Izumi, his sister.

With a blush, Ren bowed deeply. "I-It's a pleasure to meet you!" she managed to squeak out, her braid flopping over her shoulder. When she straightened, Izumi took her hand --as usual, Ren's were enormous in comparison-- and shook it, whispering something about being good to her 'little brother', and him being 'not that little'. Ren smiled, obviously bewildered, and nodded. "Er... okay!"

Hangetsu shot his sister a look, and Ren's eyes softened. She had often imagined her own sister, had she survived, would have been a guiding force in her life. That they'd joke together, laugh together, and embarrass each other on occasions such as this. The acolyte said a silent prayer for her sister's soul, using her recently-taught Air Nomad "Prayer for the Departed". She didn't know what the Spirit World was like, but she hoped her sister had found a place, despite being a baby. Or would her soul be full grown?

She took the metalbender's proffered hand, waving away his comment about his sister. "She seems lovely," Ren murmured in her smoky voice, then blushed at Hangetsu's compliments. "Don't be silly," she giggled. "I don't look any different."

So...what would you like to do?

Oh. Right. She had called Tae-yeon and asked Hangetsu to meet her without a specific plan in mind. "Well..." Ren thought, chewing her bottom lip. "What about that club you told me about?" The acolyte smiled, tilting her head cutely. "I've only heard jazz music on the radio, and only if I get chores around the rooms Sifu Tenzin partitioned off for the Avatar's White Lotus guards."

Then she paused, and looked down at her toes. "Thank you for meeting me," she said softly, her surprise and relief seeping through.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 24, 2012 18:22:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 24, 2012 18:22:27 GMT -6

"She seems lovely,"
"It's okay...a lot of people make that mistake."

When Ren dismissed his compliment Hangetsu felt compelled to defend her honor, even from herself.
"No, you've definitely grown more beautiful since last time."

The shy way Ren thanked him for meeting her made Hangetsu's heart pound which in turn caused him to pull her closer to him. It didn't escape his notice how much of his timidity he had lost since she had kissed him when last they met.
"Of course I came to meet you. I can't risk some slick pretty boy seeing you alone." As much humor as he injected into his voice there was a kernel of truth in his joke. With Ren coming out of her shell Hangetsu was keenly aware at her multitude of options. Taller, better looking options with something interesting to say.

"To Lemurland we go!"
It felt a little too forward but Ren's height made putting his arm over her shoulder awkward so that only left her waist. As good as it felt for Hangetsu he thought that maybe it was too lascivious for the air acolyte...still, he had no intention of letting go that didn't involve actual prying.

"Are you allowed a phonograph? I know it's supposed to be, uh, what's the word, um...an ascetic life but are phonographs okay? Or would one be too much a distraction?"
He wished he'd done some research on Air Acolytes in between dates. Hangetsu didn't like the idea of spiritually corrupting Ren...but physically corruption on the other hand...
"So, um, I think you'll like live jazz. It's much different from radio jazz. Lots more improvisation so the same song can be totally different."
Music was a subject the bespectacled officer was fond of, making him smile wider than usual. Being around Ren did nothing to douse that expression of joy.

Part of Hangetsu was glad that the date was starting near his apartment rather than ending there. The temptation to invite Ren up would be too great to deny. Not every part of his body agreed but Hangetsu's heart wanted things sweetly chaste for the time being.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 30, 2012 21:43:28 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 8:50:52 GMT -6

Ren felt her cheeks flush. 'Grown more beautiful'? Surely Hangetsu was joking. How did one grow more beautiful after such a short amount of time. The flatterer. Still, she smiled; it wasn't an unappreciated sentiment, even if she knew he was just being sweet. Hangetsu slipped an arm around her waist; Ren stiffened, then relaxed. It was shocking, at first. No one had ever touched her so... intimately before. Part of it was the difference in height, but the move felt so ... natural. She shyly put an arm around his shoulders as the two made their way to Lemurland, wherever that was, Hangetsu playing up the benefits of live jazz. His excitement was infectious, and the grey-haired acolyte found herself getting caught up in the feeling. He asked her if she could have a phonograph. Good question.

"I... I don't know," she said, her brow furrowing in thought. "I don't think they're disallowed, as long as they're not disruptive of meditation and such. I'd have to ask, though." Ren had to wonder — what WERE the Acolytes allowed? There was no pamphlet or booklet when she arrived on the Island, and they weren't denied modern comforts like electricity or radio or running water. They were still monks, however; traditionally, monks lived lives of poverty. She made a mental note to ask for a comprehensive list of do's and don't's once she got back to the Island.

As they made their way down the streets, Ren nudged Hangetsu and pointed at a street stall selling barbecue grilled meat skewers. "That smells so good," she said wistfully. "You won't tell if I have one, will you?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 30, 2012 22:00:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 30, 2012 22:00:23 GMT -6

Ren's attitude regarding he skewered meat made Hangetsu smile momentarily.
"I'm not going to get a midnight visit from an angry airbender about corrupting his acolytes, am I?" Many of Hangestu's jokes had a bit of truth of them. He had spent some time wondering if he perhaps wasn't the best influence on someone so spiritual. The guilt was held in check by his desire to corrupt the pretty air acolyte even further.

Hangetsu ordered two grilled eel skewers for himself along with Ren's order and paid the stand owner with his sister's money.
"It's a good idea you had. Street food vendors are a good way to get to know the city. You get variety from the stands near the station and less meat in the ones in Dragon Flats. "

As they walked Hangetsu pointed out areas that were of interest to him. He stopped at a dark alley tagged with the names of different gangs. As dangerous as it looked the place always made Hangetsu smile.
"I'll never forget this place. Han, my grandmother, took me here after I told her I wanted to be a cop. She could tell a lot about a person by their writing. It was like magic. I could tell you some things about the people who wrote these," He pointed to several of the tags and commented about who made them. "Left-handed. Missing a pinky." He chuckled at one painted series of badly spelled swear words. "Obviously didn't get very far in school."

The part-time detective beamed with pride while speaking of his grandmother.
"Han could tell you all sort of things. She opened up this whole new world for me. A place where all the answers were there if you knew how to see them. She was blunt and hard to deal with and quick to criticize and slow to compliment..." He paused before he went through the entire list of his grandmother's faults. "But she helped make me the person I am today."

It wasn't until further down the street that something occurred to Hangetsu.
"I'm terrible. Sorry. I shouldn't go on about my family when yours seemed..." he tried to search for a kind way to say terrible and had to leave his sentence dangling. What other way was there to describe a family that would drive their daughter (or was Ren their son at the time?) away to Republic City.
He ate his eel slowly as his mouth was already busy with his foot.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 2, 2012 11:17:38 GMT -6

Ren laughed softly. "No, no. You know, honestly, I'm not really sure Sifu Tenzin pays too[//i] much attention to the Acolytes. He's busy with his council-work, and his family. Did you know he has three kids, and a fourth on the way?" She paused, studying the listed skewers for sale. "Um... I'll have one eel, and one cowpig please," she ordered demurely. Hangetsu ordered a couple of eel skewers for himself, and paid the shop keep before Ren could dig out her wallet. "Oh! ... um...." She trailed off.

The stall owner handed them their orders after a while, and they walked down the street, Hangetsu stopping by an alley with colourful designs painted on the building walls. Ren's mouth formed a little "o" shape as she studied the designs with interest, Hangetsu pointing out the clues left behind by the ... "artists". She touched her fingertips to one of the designs, feeling the texture of paint-on-wall, wondering about the people who decided to leave their mark on this particular alleyway.

Hangetsu spoke with pride about his grandmother. Ren smiled tenderly as he beamed, and guessed that he was likely named after her in some manner. "She sounds wonderful!" she said softly.

Then he apologised, trailing off and punctuating his sentence with a bite out of his eel skewer. Ren shook her head, the smile still on her face. "Don't worry about it, please," she said, hooking the skewerless arm around Hangetsu's. "My family was... just frustrated." Her eyes were a little sad. "It's a difficult thing to understand, I think, and it was just easier for them — for all of us — if I left." She took a nibble out of her eel skewer, chewing on the delicious, delicious meat thoughtfully. "It was hard for them, I think. They had one daughter and one son. Then they lost their daughter, so they tried to raise their son. But then they lost their son too." She took another bite before continuing. "But they never really had one to begin with."

Ren gestured to herself with the skewer. "I've always known," she said softly, her voice quavering just a little bit. "I never really liked being a 'boy'. It felt... strange. Foreign. Like I looked in the mirror and every time I did some other person was staring back at me — like it was a window into someone else's life, instead of a reflection of mine." The acolyte gripped Hangetsu's sleeve. "It... it was just easier to go, after I decided to make that window into a mirror."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 3, 2012 1:02:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 3, 2012 1:02:52 GMT -6

After Ren's story of her family Hangetsu wore the same expression he supposed a dog would have after a long, philosophical lecture on the existentialist undertones of pulp novels.
His family had been such an unyielding means of support that being without them was alien, and that wasn't the most confusing part.
"I can't understand how being without you helps anyone. People are strange."

"Have you been to the park yet?"
He pointed to an oasis of trees and foliage in a desert of traffic and concrete with his the last of his second eel skewer before finishing it off.
After wiping his hands with a handkerchief Hangetsu offered the cloth and then his hand to his date. Crossing the street with Ren was particularly fun for him. Cars had to stop and see the beautiful woman he had the pleasure of escorting.

Upon entering Hangetsu pointed out the stream that ran through the park.
Suigetsu...my grandfather used to take me and Izumi here when it got hot and soaked us with waterbending while Han sat on that bench and read." With an almost manic chuckle Hangetsu ran over to a area of grass that had nothing to distinguish it from any other area of grass.
"This is where I decided I had to become a cop," Hangetsu shouted while he tapped the ground with his right boot.
"The kuai ball pit I made was bended over but I remember looking up at Lin Bei Fong in that uniform and thinking. Cop. I must become a cop. Then I'll have a chance."

Like a child dragging another child, Hangetsu pulled Ren towards to a weeping willow. He looked up and down the tree in wonder, trying to memorize every detail of it.
He tilted his head up at Ren and stuck his left index finger in front of her robe and gently pulled her down and passionately kiss his girlfriend.
"That's why this tree is so important. It's where we first kissed in this particular park."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 3, 2012 11:15:39 GMT -6

Ren laughed a little. "It's... complex, I think." She left it at that — what her mother and father actually thought of her was never clear. She had fond memories, some, of childhood; mother reading bedtime stories, eating dinner with the family and father telling some gesture-filled story about work. It had been a short-lived time, but she treasured it dearly. Whether or not her parents hated her now, that was another story. No one likes to believe their parents don't care for them, and Ren was no exception. But Hangetsu's words gave her some pause. She never told her parents where she was going, just up and left one night. Nothing so dramatic as sneaking out in a cloak against the night winds — just simply left one night while mother and father had gone out after yet another fight (over her wearing a dress, of course) and never came back. Maybe she would write them...

Hangetsu led her to the park, asking her if she had ever been. Jolted out of her musings, she blinked in confusion for a moment before his question caught up with her. Shaking her head 'no', she smiled as he handed her a handkerchief to wipe off her barbecue-covered fingers. She did so, taking care to fold the cloth so that the clean parts were on the outside before handing it back to Hangetsu. They crossed the street, Ren oblivious to everything except the park and her date.

Once they had passed the gateway, Hangetsu grew excited, almost childlike as he led her around the grassy knolls, pointing out patches of grass that were indiscernible from the rest as life-changing monuments. She laughed out loud, following him as quickly as she could, gathering her robes about her so she wouldn't trip. Suddenly, Hangetsu grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards a tree — a weeping willow, if she remembered her horticulture. Once they were there, Hangetsu studied the tree intently, as if trying to commit the structure to memory. Ren laughed a little.

"What happened here?" she asked teasingly, looking at the tree with him.

Then, Hangestu did something she did not expect. He looked at her, hooking his index fingers in the front of her robe and tugging her down so they were face-to-face. "Wha-—?"

And he kissed her. Not the same kind of kiss that she had given him last time, but one of those feverish kisses that Omoi Tenoh loved to describe in her novels. Ren felt the kiss from her lips to the very tip of her toes, and instinctively her eyes fluttered shut, allowing the sensation to wash over her like a wave. She slipped her arms over Hangetsu's shoulders and returned the kiss with as just as much feeling.

After what seemed to be simultaneously an eternity and a blink of an eye, they pulled away from each other. Ren's heart beat an erratic tattoo against her chest, and she felt her face flushed; she couldn't help but smile, though, and her smile only grew wider when Hangetsu spoke.

That's why this tree is so important. It's where we first kissed in this particular park.

She laughed pleasantly and tapped Hangetsu on the nose with her index finger. "Important indeed!" she agreed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and adjusting her glasses. "We'll build a plaque here to commemorate the occasion!" It was a joke — mostly. Part of her really wanted to.

Slipping her hand into his, the acolyte smiled a little uncertainly. "Should... should we stay here?" she asked. "Or still go to Lemurland? N-not that I didn't like —- I mean, I really enjoyed-— I... um.... .... ?" Ren looked at Hangetsu helplessly. Of all times to become tongue-tied!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 3, 2012 21:44:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 3, 2012 21:44:25 GMT -6

"Should... should we stay here? Or still go to Lemurland? N-not that I didn't like —- I mean, I really enjoyed-— I... um.... .... ?"
"If you don't mind I'd like to spend a few minutes here. Lemurland doesn't get jumping until later in the evening, anyway. Besides," he said as he pulled out a one yuan coin from the pocket of his white pants with his free hand. "I have a plaque to carve...um, watch out for park security, please. I'm not entirely sure this is allowed."

Hangetsu took a moment to look at how neatly he had used his metal bending to sharpen his coin to a fine edge. He was eager to show it to Ren but he doubted she would get the significance. Instead, he went about carving their names into the tree with only a plus sign between them. He looked at his work and wondered if he should carve a heart around their names. He decided not to. He felt strong in his feelings for Ren but weak in his ability to carve the curves necessary to make a heart.

He bended his sap-laden coin into something resembling it's original shape and handed it to Ren before taking her hand again.
"My bending is at its best when you're around. You make me feel like I'm capable of anything."
A few steps back from the tree Hangetsu looked at his work while tilting his head side to side.
"I don't know art...but I know what I like. I like it. What's your opinion, Ren. Your Renpinion."

The image of himself resting in Ren's lap beneath that very tree battled in Hangetsu's mind with an image of Ren resting in his lap beneath the weeping willow. Unfortunately, the officer with the slowly withering shyness couldn't think of suggesting any combination of head and lap that didn't sound lewd.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 12:45:16 GMT -6

Ren giggled like a school-girl and spun around, scanning the area for security. They seemed more preoccupied with watching the Equalist speaker across the bridge. Ren didn't understand the whole point of the supposed Equalist agenda. They talked about being equal with benders, but their push seemed less about non-bender equality than anti-bender propaganda. Admittedly, Ren didn't know much about the City, but on the Island there was no difference between Tenzin and his family and the Acolytes except for ability — but abilities always varied from person-to-person anyway.

Hangetsu finished whatever he was doing, handed her a somewhat misshapen coin, and took her hand, asking for her Renpinion of his work. She giggled again, and studied the carving solemnly. Their names had been carved into the tree trunk, the sap still oozing from the fresh carvings. Ren felt something akin to a mix of pride and elation looking at their names in the wood, knowing that the cuts were deep enough to leave their names visible for a couple of years at least. It was fast, and while the pacing had her mind in a twirl and a tizzy, it felt okay. More than okay. It felt wonderful.

"I think it's beautiful," she murmured, honesty ringing in her words. No one had ever made such a gesture to her before, and she was moved.

Glancing at the sun, still about half an hour from setting, Ren gestured to the grassy area under 'their' tree. "Should we sit?" she asked, fiddling with her glasses. "It's not a bad view, and you can't really hear that Equalist speaker from here."

She sat carefully on the grass, smoothing her robes under her, and patted the spot to her left with a shy smile up at her date. "Did I tell you I met one of Sifu Tenzin's children?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2012 14:51:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2012 14:51:31 GMT -6

Once he sat down beneath the tree Hangetsu wished that his lucky suit had not been white. It hid dirt as well as the person wearing it hid his emotions.
For his clothes sake, he was glad he was an earthbender.

He took Ren's hand after he sat down. While it was bigger than his own it was infinitely more feminine. For a moment he pondered laying his head on her lap but thought better of it. Instead he slid as close as he could and intertwined his arm with hers.
"I didn't know the Councilman had children."

Unconsciously, Hangetsu rested his head on Ren's shoulder. He was reminded of something that made him smile.
"The very first thing I did as a metalbender was help a kid. I had just finished my bending test and got an offer to ride on an airship to check out a crime scene. I never decline an invitation to go on an airship. A warehouse got robbed and I was tasked with walking this girl home. She must have been twelve or thirteen. Because I'm a sucker for a woman she talked me into tracking down the thieves. I took her across the wires." He lifted up his green boots with metal plates on the soles alternating with rubber treads.
"I wore dress shoes and you should have seen my feet afterwards. I had to fight the thieves with no weapons and bloody feet. That's why I don't go anywhere unarmed or unshoed." He grunted and smirked at himself.
"That's why any time someone mentions children I automatically check to see if I have shoes and a weapon."

Looking up at Ren from the vantage point of her shoulder Hangetsu got his closest look at Ren that didn't involve facial contact.
"You know...you have really pretty ears." Suddenly he was glad that his head was on her shoulder and he couldn't see the look he assumed she had on her face. He had no desire to see what a woman's "I can't believe I'm dating this guy" face looked like.
"So, uh, tell me about this air kid. Are they calm and serene? Like a little monk?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 17:59:59 GMT -6

Hangetsu joined her, intertwining their arms and resting his head on her shoulder. Ren smiled, resting her head on top of his, her glasses going slightly askew. She ignored it. "Oh yes, he has three of them, with another on the way." The grey-haired woman had never met the Councilman's family, but had seen them in various places on the Island - the Meditation Pavilion, or the Dining Area, or taking care of the Air Bison herd. "His wife was one of us, you know. An Acolyte. I hear that Sifu Tenzin had a thing with the Chief back when they were younger, but that's just from the gossip of the older Acolytes." Absentmindedly, Ren caressed Hangetsu's hand with her thumb.

She closed her eyes as Hangetsu spoke of his first metalbending adventure, opening them only when Hangetsu shifted. Ren looked at his shoes momentarily before murmuring some gibberish to signal him to continue his story. It's not that she wasn't paying attention - far from it. She heard every word of his story, down to the fact that he tore up his feet on this adventure and that's why he always wore his metal shoes. There was just something incredibly... soothing about Hangetsu when he spoke, and coupled with their relaxing on the grass Ren just wanted to savour the moment.

Hangetsu tilted his head up as best he could, and Ren moved her face off the top of it just a little to look down at the top of his head, scrunching her nose so that her glasses would wiggle back up. "Pretty ears?" she echoed, feeling them turn red, glad he couldn't quite see. "T-thank you, I think." Self-consciously she reached up to touch her right earlobe. She had thought about getting them pierced before moving to the Island, but never did. She made a mental note to ask. Hopefully, she'd remember her mental note. Ren made a small face at herself. Mental notes almost never helped; she was too scatterbrained.

When Hangetsu asked about Meelo being calm and serene she couldn't help but give a throaty chuckle. "Oh, goodness, no. Meelo is... well, he's five," Ren said by way of explanation. "I found him in my room tearing through my bookshelves trying to find hidden treasure." The woman laughed, remembering. "His mother had apparently told him a story about a magical Evil Queen who had a secret lair, and he was trying to find the hidden switch. When I walked in the room, he thought I was the Queen and tried to get me to tell him the secret to my powers." Ren shook her head in amusement, strands of hair coming loose from her customary braid and framing her face. "I didn't know what to say, so I told him the truth: Knowledge is power. He thought that was boring, though, and found my rock candy to be a much better prize."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 4, 2012 18:03:04 GMT -6