The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Unbridled Awkward (Hangetsu)

mollymoon
May 30, 2012 8:27:08 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on May 30, 2012 8:27:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lanfen sat on a park bench, waiting for her blind date to arrive. She hoped he wasn't actually blind, or she probably wouldn't be able to handle it. She picked dirt from underneath a fingernail and subconsciously adjusted her tank. Lanfen hadn't been on a date since...well, since ever. Her excuse for a fancy outfit was new boots and a freshly cleaned tank top (in addition to her baggy pants and Fire Nation band).
She had no idea what inspired her to put her name on the stupid list. Perhaps she was tired of living alone and fending for herself. Maybe all she wanted was someone to lean on...
Lanfen actually laughed aloud at the thought. Like she needed a man to take care of her. She had been independent since age 15, and even then only her mother ever seemed to truly love her. She banished the thought, not wanting to think about her parents.
She grit her teeth and scrunched her lips, glaring at the ground angrily. Lanfen tried vainly to flatten her hair, but to no avail. Her hair lay as thick and tangled as ever. She sighed and closed her eyes for a moment, only to open them again at the sound of someone's voice.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 14:44:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 30, 2012 14:44:01 GMT -6

Mugen Yuan was at a loss for once. He considered himself a smart man but found himself mentally in the red. Dating wasn't new to him. Dating without a motive like intimidation or manipulation was, however. He wished the woman no harm or any ill will toward anyone close to her. Going out with her seemed pointless.
Still, his mother had signed him up and asked him to participate.

He didn't know how to act when he didn't want anything from someone. Normally he would play the part required to get what he wanted. Cute but shy stranger, loyal boyfriend, vicious sadist. The only roles that were truly him were loyal son, ruthless gangster, student and bending enthusiast. Those were enough for him and he saw no need to add "man who dates" to his facets.

He wore a simple black suit but left the tie at home. It didn't seem necessary. The night was arm so he left the top button of his white shirt undone. As there was no need to play on his date's sympathies Mugen abandoned his boyishly unkempt hairstyle and wore it slicked back. He wasn't sure what he looked like and didn't quite care.

His mother suggested bringing flowers and a gift. He refused the flowers right off. He'd never given a woman flowers who wasn't his mother and he wasn't about to start. An order of dumplings from Ni-ten Dumplings would suffice. They were free after all.

Ni-ten dumplings were best in town as far as Mugen was concerned. It was why he arranged a fire so he could buy it at a building on fire price. He couldn't resist peeking into the bag and smelling the contents. Deep fried possum chicken. his favorite. Either the man who made the dumplings was making a Foggy Swamp joke or it was a roundabout way to tell Mugen to be himself.

Name and age. That was what Mugen knew. It seemed like a waste of money and spies to find out anything more. At first look the aspiring crime lord determined that she was of Fire Nation origin and not one to fuss too much with her looks. He appreciated that.

Instead of the typical awkward introduction Mugen merely sat down beside his blind date and dropped the bag of dumplings in her lap.
"I take it that you are Lanfen. I am Mugen."
This user is a former member
mollymoon
May 30, 2012 22:18:12 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on May 30, 2012 22:18:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Her eyes snapped open and she turned her head, regarding this stranger. Her eyebrows furrowed.
"Few people can sneak up on me like that," she remarked, her voice betraying a note of uncertainty.
Lanfen took in the boy's partially unbuttoned shirt, slick hair and overall dapper appearance. Her guard was instantly up. It was hard to maintain eye contact. She turned her eyes instead to the dumplings that were tossed onto her lap. The Fire Nation girl opened the bag and peered cautiously inside. The smell was intoxicating. She'd struggled to rustle up lunch that day, and hadn't eaten since sunrise.
Lanfen made herself take one slowly out of the bag and inspect it thoroughly for any meddling. When it passed the test, she tentatively took a bite, not bothering to use proper etiquette. Lanfen took another bite, chewed quickly, then swallowed.
The boy made her uneasy. He was too slick, too clean, too... perfect. She decided not to let him get under her guard. This one needed to be watched.
Lanfen cleared her throat. "To confirm your assumption, I am Lanfen. You'll have to... uh, excuse my outift. I wasn't prepared for anything formal." She ripped off another bite of dumpling and stored it in her cheek, then took another bite and chewed them in quick succession.

((also please let me know if my posts aren't long enough. They seem sort of short, sorry :/))
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 23:58:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 30, 2012 23:58:12 GMT -6

["To confirm your assumption, I am Lanfen. You'll have to... uh, excuse my outfit. I wasn't prepared for anything formal."

Mugen assumed he was informal by leaving his tie at home. He paid little attention to fashion norms, he just liked suits.
"Nothing to excuse. You look well." Not a man to notice women to be pretty or not made sincere compliments difficult to extract from the man.
"I will be honest with you. I am not...comfortable with dating. It confuses me. I will sometimes do it to get something I want but dating for pleasure...the idea confounds me. You seem equally uncomfortable. How did you come by this fate, Miss Lanfen?"

The small-time criminal reached into Lanfen's lap and took a dumpling for himself. He didn't want anything from Lanfen so saw no reason to obey social norms.
"Ni-Ten Dumplings and Pappa Due's are the best places for possum chicken. Not that there are alot of choices in swamp cuisine. A lot of people consider it too odd or beneath 'em."
Mugen bit back a frustrated sigh. The Foggy Swamp accent he had tried to rid himself still appeared when he wasn't concentrating on being laconic or menacing.
Last edit by Deleted: May 30, 2012 23:58:36 GMT -6
mollymoon
May 31, 2012 8:27:16 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on May 31, 2012 8:27:16 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
"I will be honest with you. I am not...comfortable with dating. It confuses me. I will sometimes do it to get something I want but dating for pleasure...the idea confounds me. You seem equally uncomfortable. How did you come by this fate, Miss Lanfen?"

She shrugged nonchalantly, picking a burnt piece off the dumpling in her hand before finishing it. She ruminated briefly, then turned to face him. "I honestly have no idea why I put my name on the dumb list. Dating sounds...weird, and uncomfortable. I just thought maybe if I looked hard enough I could find someone to put up with me."
Lanfen quickly took another bite of dumpling, this time stuffing nearly the whole thing in her mouth. She mentally berated herself for letting him in on her loneliness. Stupid! she thought angrily. Now he could find some way to use that to his advantage, she knew. Maybe he would try to take advantage of her. She smiled through her dumpling, hoping a little that he would. She hadn't used her fire on someone in a long while.
"Now it's your turn. Why did you sign up?" she asked, somewhat accusatory.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 31, 2012 9:51:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2012 9:51:51 GMT -6

Mugen seemingly ignored Lanfen's question to look inside the bag and claim the second-to-last possum chicken dumpling. After popping it into his mouth and chewing thoroughly Mugen heaved a sigh.
"My mother signed me up. It's annoying when she worries about me like that, but after all she's done for me I can't say no. I'm far too busy with studies and work to date. Do your parents worry excessively about your social life as well?

The aspiring crime lord studied Lanfen a bit longer. For the most part women seemed to either fawn over him or be intimidated. She seemed neither. He wondered if he could get through his date without having to take on a role. Taking in Lanfen's casual appearance and overall demeanor she seemed tougher than most women he dealt with. He wondered just how much of himself he could be around her.
"Before you answer that I have another question. Why would you think you would be difficult to put up with? I have sat here this long without feeling the need to break one of your limbs."
mollymoon
May 31, 2012 18:56:34 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on May 31, 2012 18:56:34 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lanfen laughed mirthlessly. "I'm not exactly your typical, obedient, loving little girl. I don't play well with others. If I have a problem with someone, I let them know. And not kindly, either. A lot of guys seem to find that unacceptable. They want a tamed, docile little creature to drag around and show off. I don't ever plan on being a trophy. Because of that, people don't tend to find me acceptable. Does that answer your question?" she asked rhetorically.
"in response to your other question, no, my parents really have no say in how I live my life. I basically do what I want."
She reached into the bag and took the last dumpling without asking if he wanted it, then pushed it into her mouth and chewed.
"Thanks for the food, by the way." She said around the mouthful.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 31, 2012 19:50:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2012 19:50:36 GMT -6

"Ah. So you aren't a heroine straight out of a badly written romance novel. Good. I have no dragon to fly you away upon and no desire to end my life in a double suicide by jumping into a volcano."
Though a slightly humorous edge crept into his voice Mugen's face remained static.

"You are welcome. Eating possum chicken is a sign of character as far as I am concerned. Many people find eating it beneath them." A distinct undertone of disgust was present in his voice. He didn't feel any particular need to shield this woman from his feelings.

"Traditionally, we should have gone to a restaurant and made awkward small talk. As we have already eaten I should probably put in some effort in getting to know you. Do you follow pro bending? Do you bend yourself?"

He levelled his gaze at Lanfen though he knew it made most people uncomfortable. So far his blind date has shows remarkable ability at not being most people.
mollymoon
May 31, 2012 23:36:00 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on May 31, 2012 23:36:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and thought briefly. "I've been a fan of pro-bending since I knew it existed," she confessed. "I've always relished the idea of being able to fight other people and actually get paid for it."

She sat up straighter and put one leg across the other's knee, then picked at something stuck to the bottom of her new boot. "And yes, I do bend... Though not well. For some reason I could never quite get a hold on it. My mother tried to tell me it was because my soul wasn't at peace." Lanfen laughed aloud. "Like that matters. I know plenty of screwed up people who bend beautifully. I'm just defective."

Without even consciously realizing it, her lip curled in contempt of herself. She looked over at him, meeting his gaze and forcing herself not to look away, despite the subtle desire.

"So, what about you? Are you a bender? Do anything fancy?" she asked, eager to change the subject away from herself.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 1, 2012 12:27:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 1, 2012 12:27:52 GMT -6

Mugen didn't bother to hide his smirk. For a moment he thought of mentioning that Lanfen could get paid to fight in Republic City's underground fighting circuit.
"I have dealt with many defective people in my work. You don't seem to be among them." As usual, when Mugen was one-hundred percent Mugen and not partially playing a character his tone had a dry, factual sound. As a professional criminal Mugen knew how to spot major defect in a person he could exploit.

The young criminal paused when Lanfen asked about himself. He wasn't used to people shifting the conversation over to him and rarely did it involve him talking about himself. Not counting the rhetorical questions he would receive. Are you some kind of monster? What kind of person would do this? What does your mother think of you?

"No, I'm not a bender, just a fan of bending. I have found that if I have trouble with something I become obsessed. I can read every bending book I can get my hands on, which I do, but I can never bend."
It was odd but talking about his love of bending but inability to do it made Mugen smile. He liked having something constantly out of reach.

"I practice koppojutsu but if you have seen it in action it can not be accurately described as 'fancy'. Holds, joint manipulation and a good measure of bone breaking. I wanted to learn something direct and intimidating. Few are intimidated by a punch to the face but when they see a person's arm bending at an unnatural angle bladder release is usually imminent."

Mugen stood and for a reason he could not fathom extended his hand to Lanfen to help her up. It was gentlemanly, he knew, but wholly unnecessary.
"Come. Show me some bending and I'll show you how to cripple a man."
mollymoon
Jun 2, 2012 9:52:45 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on Jun 2, 2012 9:52:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
She ignored his remark about not being defective. What did he know, anyway? He knew nothing about her past, or her current situation. She was certain there was something wrong with her, and no pretty boy in a fancy suit would change her mind.

She then considered his offer. Her bending was only mediocre, so perhaps it would make sense to learn a little hand-to-hand combat. Perhaps she could mix it up with a gout of flame here and there.

Lanfen looked at his outstretched hand for a moment, then grudgingly put her hand in his and stood. She released it again immediately.

"if I'm going to show you my bending, you'll have to stand back."
She walked onto the grass, where it had begun to dampen with the night's perspiration. The girl took an open-legged stance, like she had seen pro-benders do at their matches. She held her fists in front of her and remembered an encounter she'd had with a boy not too long ago. He had told her breathing was essential.

Lanfen cleared her throat, bounced on her toes, took a deep breath, and shot a burst of flame from her fist. It was better than she was used to, but still not great. The jet was only a few feet long, bright orange and wavering.

In a less showy manner, she also snapped her fingers and held a flame at the tip of them, walking back to Mugen and holding it between them for him to see. She then let it die.

"Your turn. Show me how to crack bones."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 2, 2012 15:03:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2012 15:03:57 GMT -6

The people who took Mugen as a emotionless tool designed only for the acquisition of money never saw him watch bending. For the most part there was a quiet and somber expression while he studied the art but every so often there would erupt a joyful smile.

He had seen bending masters at work but never lost his wonder at seeing it done at any level.
"Out of all the elements fire has to be the most fun to watch. Not only does it have an aesthetic appeal but it frightens people in ways earth, water and air do not. Most people who can stomach being drowned, crushed or suffocated quiver at the thought of burning alive. Thank you for your demonstration."

Mugen took off his jacket, folded it and placed it on the bench where he and Lanfen previously sat. He stretched his arms and took off his white, buttoned shirt and exposed the sleeveless white undershirt beneath. He knew he didn't have an impressive physique muscle-wise but he wasn't there to impress Lanfen, he just needed the extra mobility and didn't relish the idea of staining, ripping or burning any of his clothes. Growing up poor taught Mugen the value of frugality.

"Please throw a punch. You may even bend if you so wish. I have tangled with fire benders before.

For a moment after the punch was thrown Mugen forgot he wasn't in a true fight. He rushed past Lanfen's guard but reined himself in as he took her right arm, extended it and tapped at her elbow joint with the palm of his hand.
"Effective...but I would prefer to bend." He took a moment before he released Lanfen's arm. To his utter and complete confusion he felt himself lingering a little longer than intended.
"You have exceptionally smooth skin."
Given a hundred years of intense study Mugen could not give an answer to anyone who asked why he said such a thing.

mollymoon
Jun 3, 2012 12:33:21 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on Jun 3, 2012 12:33:21 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
She frowned at his remark about fire-bending. Fire-bending had never been her desire, despite it's association with her personality. She had always liked earth-bending. "Yeah, well..." she mumbled, not ever finishing her sentence.

She remained nonchalant when he removed his shirt. Lanfen had seen nudity, both partial and full, when the children in her village had bathed and swam in the lagoon nearby. The sight of bare skin had ceased to bother her.

"Please throw a punch. You may even bend if you wish, I have tangled with fire benders before," he told her.
She smirked a little, confident she could at least graze him, then drew her arm back and swung for his shoulder, trying to hit the joint.
He moved so quickly she only had time to gasp in dismay before her arm was completely at his mercy. His hands were firm on her wrist and elbow.

"You have remarkably soft skin." he observed after releasing her.

Lanfen rubbed her arm, trying to banish the sensation of fingertips. She just shrugged. "Thanks."

She moved on quickly, wanting to leave the unfamiliar territory as soon as humanly possible. "So how did you do that?" she asked. "I've tangled with quite a few people, I thought for sure that punch would touch you."

Lanfen mentally reviewed her tactics. The punch was solid and strong, aimed for the joint... It should have connected, at least a little. But he had moved out of the way so fast, and caught her arm as easily as if it were moving in slow motion.

"How would you deal with fire?" she asked, genuinely curious.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 3, 2012 13:29:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 3, 2012 13:29:33 GMT -6

Mugen had no opinion regarding gods or spirits but believed in the miracle of good timing. Lanfen changing the subject so swiftly was one of those miracles.
He scratched his face while letting out a "Hmmmm." While trying to remember what he was taught by his instructor and what he had learned from study.
"I watch a lot of pro bending matches, I watch fights, I watch benders practing, I watch and I observe. I saw the position of your feet, your hands and I saw your chest heave then did my best to time everything. I'm not a particularly durable individual so I pay special attention to avoidance."

"I suppose I would stop any fire bending techniques I see before they complete. Since breathing is so vital to the art I would looks for deep breaths as a sign for powerful attacks and I suppose flared nostrils for shorter breaths and shorter attacks. As much as I enjoy watching bending I prefer not to get THAT close of a view. To be perfectly honest you could probably take me out with a simple feint. My preferred method of winning is never getting into a situation I haven't already planned to get out of."

The thought that this date would turn into a conversation and demonstration of fighting did not occur to Mugen. It was a pleasant surprise.
"I was taught to defend myself by an actor of all people. Who taught you your art, Lanfen?"
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 3, 2012 13:31:19 GMT -6
mollymoon
Jun 5, 2012 23:32:39 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on Jun 5, 2012 23:32:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
His scrutiny almost made her feel self-conscious, if he could catch so many things in that briefest moment, what else had he noticed in their time together?

She scuffed her foot in the grass, suddenly feeling embarrassed, though she couldn't say why. "No one taught me, actually... There were no experienced firebenders in my village, so I had to experiment and come up with my own method and movement. That's probably why I suck so much."

Lanfen's eyebrows pulled together. She looked back up with a fierce sort of
pride. "But I know how to take care of myself, and if anyone tries to screw me over, they won't stop regretting it until the burn scars fade. Which they won't."

She smirked a little, taking confidence from the thought.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 6, 2012 22:39:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 6, 2012 22:39:05 GMT -6

The time Mugen spent with "normal" people was short and far between not counting his mother, but she was far too special to be considered normal. In his case "normal" meant law-abiding or not possessing something he desired. There were people that put him in the red, enemies, and people who put him in the black, temporary allies. He had no idea where Lanfen fit in his black and red morality even though she was far too interesting to be considered normal.

"No one taught me, actually... There were no experienced firebenders in my village, so I had to experiment and come up with my own method and movement. That's probably why I suck so much."

The right side of his mouth tilted upwards in what few had seen. A genuine smile with no malice behind it. Lanfen had pulled a few out of him in such a short time. Had he examined the phenomenon he would have been concerned slightly, but he did not, he just enjoyed having a reason to smile.
"Ya sound self-made as opposed t'all those who claim the title. That's something to be proud of."
Mugen tried to hide his grimace at the reemergence of his slight Foggy Swamp accent. Too much drawl, too many end letters dropped, too many portmanteau. It was how he spoke at home and it was natural.
For the first time in his life he wished he could stop relaxing. It left him vulnerable.
"lotta...A lot of people who claim to be self-made usually have a dozen people below them pushing them to the top. You do not seem to be one of them."

"But I know how to take care of myself, and if anyone tries to screw me over, they won't stop regretting it until the burn scars fade. Which they won't."
"Have you thought about joining a triad? It seems they can't get enough firebenders of any skill level. The work ranges from tedious and annoying to things that cause imminent death. You may burn buildings, you may burn people or you may just stand there, look pretty and every so often make an intimidating flame. Do you think you are cut out for a life like that, Lanfen?"
mollymoon
Jun 8, 2012 0:09:12 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on Jun 8, 2012 0:09:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lanfen frowned, considering his proposition. "Would I have to fight innocent people?" she asked hesitantly.

She had always been one for violence, however, not unnecessary violence. She had seen bullying in her village. She had actually been the target of it on more than one occasion, which had led to accidents and complaints from the families of the burn victims. Lanfen hated bullies.

Another thought occurred to her, and she put her hands on her hips and squinted at him suspiciously. "Also, how would you know about this stuff?" Lanfen waited impatiently, a hundred thoughts swirling through her mind. Was he a member of a triad? That would explain his training... Or was he one of Bei Fong's metal-benders, here to trick her and get her arrested? Or perhaps a ring leader of some underground cult?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 8, 2012 20:50:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 8, 2012 20:50:48 GMT -6

"Would I have to fight innocent people?"

Mugen couldn't help but feel a bit crestfallen at Lanfen's reaction. He had been relaxed around her and let too much of himself slip past his self-erected barriers. To avoid full disclosure of his criminal activities the young actor turned criminal tried to think of the correct ratio to deal with Lanfen.
20% True Mugen, 30% pitiful and 50% survivor trying to make his way through a dangerous world.
"Not a lot of fighting would be involved with innocent people. A boot doesn't fight the ant it steps upon...but I take you for an honorable sort. Alas, honor among criminals is a rare thing."

Mugen shook his head. His personality formula had been abandoned the second he opened his mouth. Lanfan seemed an honest and direct person. He didn't know deal with those kinds of people outside of his mother.

"Also, how would you know about this stuff?"
A new tactic came to the young man's mind. Truth.
"I grew up in the poorest part of the city to an illiterate woman from the Foggy Swamp and a reprobate I have never had the displeasure of meeting. Opportunities were few. I needed to pay to further my education, move my mother to a better part of the district, pay for protection and take care of myself. I could not do this through legitimate means."
He let out a disgusted, scoffing noise at himself.
"I've never felt the need to explain myself before...you have thoroughly disarmed me. Let me pose a philosophical question. Is a person's occupation the sum of who they are? I do questionable things for money, but that is not all I am. I am an avid bending fan, I read voraciously, I take any and every class I can, I am entranced by the theater and I am absolutely without humor when it comes to jokes about swamp dwellers."

Mugen made sure to shut his mouth before any more honesty leaked out and landed him in a metal cell.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 9, 2012 14:12:41 GMT -6
mollymoon
Jun 9, 2012 11:34:58 GMT -6

Post by mollymoon on Jun 9, 2012 11:34:58 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lanfen searched his face for any hint of humor or sarcasm. After another moment she found none.

"You're serious, aren't you?" she asked, disbelieving. She sighed. "Well I'm not going to turn you in, if that's what you're thinking. That would be kind of rude."

She considered his life story. It sounded pretty rough, if he was telling the truth. It was possibly even worse than her past. Lanfen looked at him again, then exhaled heavily in defeat.

"Okay, fine, I'll join your little crime circle. But," she jabbed him in the chest, not too hard, but not gently either. "I'm only doing it because I'm dirt poor, and could use a little extra income. So if I'm not getting paid, the deal's off. Also, I have some ground rules. One, I don't hurt innocent people. I wll gladly burn your villainous 'enemies' but if all they've done is failed to pay your tax or whatever because business is slow, I'll pass. Two, I'm not going to wear a little catsuit and prance around looking pretty for you boys. My outfit stays. And three, I expect equal treatment. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't take care of myself. If someone tries to treat me otherwise, I expect a free pass for finger-breaking. Is that clear?"

She folded her arms and waited expectantly, her lip curled a little.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2012 14:27:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2012 14:27:30 GMT -6

"You're serious, aren't you? Well I'm not going to turn you in, if that's what you're thinking. That would be kind of rude."

That tickled Mugen into smiling.
"Rude? That's an amusing choice of words. I dare say that condemning me to years of prison would be downright uncivil." He held his stomach as he laughed.

Lanfen's sudden agreement and demands for freelance crime career led Mugen from humor to confusion and then back to humor. This woman was certainly something. She even poked him in the chest.
"I think you misunderstand me. This is a date, not a recruitment. If my mother asks how things went, and she will, I don't want to have to say that I urged you into something illegal. She doesn't know what I do for money exactly, I just tell her I work 'odd jobs'."

He rubbed his chest where Lanfen had poked him. It hurt a little more than he would have thought.
"I can't have my enemies see one of my subordinates doing things like poke me in the chest. It would be humiliating." He grinned and put his hand on Lanfen's shoulder. It was something he did at other times for emphasis when he feigned emotion or humor. This time was different...and she did have nice, soft skin.
"Besides, no cat suit, no deal."
Though it was a joke he coudln't help but think that Lanfen in a tight suit might not be such a bad thing.

"You have the temperament of a boss, not a soldier...and this city has far too many self-styled crime bosses. Ni-Ten Dumplings often needs people...no cat suit required and free dumplings."

When he noticed the temperature dropping a bit Mugen took off his jacket and offered it to Lanfen. He then went about wondering just what was wrong with him to cause such erratic behavior.
"Would you like to go for a walk? You can share your your tale."