The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[ALL PLEASE!] TARP might move!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2012 1:10:04 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hello members! Karena and I are making a decision that will impact everyone, so please read this post because it is a decision we will not make lightly.

I've spoken about this before to a few people, about ProBoards upgrading their software to "v5" — it comes with a drastic change, from how the boards are set up to how the software functions to how codes & layouts will work. Karena and I had the opportunity to create a test forum for TARP tonight, and unfortunately, we are unsure if we are going to keep TARP hosted on ProBoards due to these changes.

If we decide to move, we will only do it if you're willing to continue our stories! This site will be available with its default appearance (ie: none of the pretty code you see) in a members-only, read-only mode as an archive of the past seven years.

Because of the way ProBoards is set up, we are unable to transfer data to another host. This will require you to re-register with the new host, but don't worry! We will restore everyone's post counts, and all currently approved profiles will be automatically approved if the are no changes — our site rules will not change in the transfer.

While we don't want to pressure anyone, we have a deadline to make this decision. ProBoards is intending to convert all forums to the new version by the end of 2012 or sooner, so time is of the essence. We'll need to make a decision soon, likely by the end of November.

Please vote above if you will stay with TARP for this transition. If you have any questions before voting, please ask below.

Note: We are not sure what host we'd move to, so please do not ask. We do have several options we are weighing, some free and some paid, but we are still undecided at this time.

EDIT: please remember that this is only an if scenario at the moment; it is something we are considering seriously, but nothing is set in stone.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 8, 2012 19:50:37 GMT -6
spode
Nov 8, 2012 1:36:40 GMT -6

Post by spode on Nov 8, 2012 1:36:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I have no idea how to vote, because I'd always thought a site this well done and organized should be hosted on it's own instead of a free forum provider. Maybe I'm saying this because I do not want to see the newspaper layout ever go away.

Of course, you could always parody ProBoards on your own server. Say that the board is hosted on ProBenders.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2012 1:51:42 GMT -6

I would try to recreate the newspaper layout wherever we go, so please don't let that hinder your vote. Self-hosting IS an option we are willing to consider, but we cannot move the content of the current forum along with it due to the limitations ProBoards gives us.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 8, 2012 9:27:11 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 11:40:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 11:40:13 GMT -6

I've done this before with other sites, so I'm not too concerned about the transition. I'm fine with just picking up rps on the new site that we leave here. I'm probably going to follow you guys no matter what.

My big concern is the new site. I've grown fond of proboards sites and while I'm not the biggest fan of invasionfree, it does open up a lot of graphic/coding options, making it very interesting. But that being said, I'm not a huge fan of how you join the forum and stuff ^^'

Also, I come here a lot on my cell phone, so something mobile friendly would be appreciated.

Well, that's my two cents xD

(Btw, Spode, theavatarrp.probenders.com would hilarious)
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Nov 8, 2012 15:10:38 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I'm not a huge fan of InvisionFree, either, and I don't think Kami is either. I do appreciate the opinion, though. :)
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2012 15:36:53 GMT -6

No, I'm not a fan of IF or the Invision Powerboard software, though there may be a chance that we'll have to use it. It depends on whether or not we can afford a self-hosting package. I'm rooting for one, but we might need to ask for member contributions and I'm not sure how well that would go over with everyone. :]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 15:49:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 15:49:06 GMT -6

To me the the location of the site is secondary to the people on it. I wouldn't mind a move but I'm afraid we might lose some members along the way.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 14, 2012 7:54:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 17:18:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 17:18:34 GMT -6

I would obviously go where TARP goes. I am used to and do not mind Invision Power Board, there are things about it I prefer vastly to ProBoards, anyway. Regardless, I'll come along.
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 18:08:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 18:08:35 GMT -6

I would just like to say that if we do self host, as I seem to be one of the younger people here, I don't have a lot of requirements for my money to go to and would gladly donate a bit. However, that being said, I also don't have a job, so I don't have a lot to give in the first place. As for sending that money to Kami/Karena would also be somewhat tricky. :P

iluTARP o3o

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2012 19:49:12 GMT -6

I do want to say, however, that staying on proboards is an option, it just might take a LONG time to get TARP working back to the way it is currently. If people would prefer to stay, then Karena and I will definitely take that into consideration as well before we make our decision. This is something that Karena and I feel needs to be discussed with our members (hence this poll/thread) because this affects you a lot.

@ Airi - if we did start taking donations, we would set up a paypal account. :]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 22:05:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 22:05:18 GMT -6

I think something else that needs to be taken into consideration is when the next season of Korra is coming back since if we are still in transition to a new site could make things complicated with people wanting to RP with the new content from the show and talk about the show too. (I know all we know is sometime in 2013 probably not until the summer or later since if it was coming back earlier I'm pretty sure they would have said something by now)

While yes moving would be an option, there would still be the transition about using the site either the new proboard version or another type of hosting all together. I do like that if we move this site would still exist I think it just wouldn't be the same if TARP moved elsewhere. I think it could keep old members from returning if they want to come back with the return of the new season of Korra.

Also if TARP has to be funded to be kept alive while we do have members that have stuck around all these years, I think we would run into issues with funding once Korra has had a series finale since I'm sure activity will drop just like it did when A:tLA finished. This then could mean that TARP would have to move a third time if we couldn't fund it...and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

I just think that maybe we should just stay here and just roll with the changes that proboards wants to make. I mean TARP has lasted this long and gone through so many changes over the years it seems like this shouldn't be the thing that makes the original TARP end. Of course we would have the new TARP but you know it just wouldn't be the same.

Anyway it's your decision to make and I'll support whatever you want to do. As a long time member for 6.5 years and a former board mod myself you got my loyalty to follow you if we do move!

Post by Gia on Nov 8, 2012 22:22:23 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Thank you for your opinion, Zarah. Just to point it out, though, that the self-hosting option we are considering is a one-time fee. We would not be continuing to pay it over the years. It's not cheap, though, which is why I can't cover it with other things that I need to pay for. We'll keep your opinions, in mind, though. That's why we're doing this. :)
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 8, 2012 22:25:23 GMT -6

Thanks for your input, Zarah!

A big part of the issue with "rolling with the changes" is that we would literally have to go back to the default layout (or, rather, what the new default layout will be) and re-build TARP's appearance & features from the ground up.

The entire ProBoards system is changing - there is new software. Not just a change to the current software, either — it's been completely rewritten. Right now, the only difference between going to a new host and staying here is (a) the content on this site being turned into an archive, and (maybe b) paying for a self-host.

If you're interested in seeing the new changes ProBoards will be offering before voting, you can visit our test site: tarptest2.freemessageboards.com/ and take a look around.

If you need help logging in, check this out: support.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=openbetadiscussion&action=display&thread=415589

(and yes, that is TARP converted to a beta test of the new system. None of our old codes are in place because they don't work. ;x)
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 8, 2012 22:50:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2012 22:50:23 GMT -6

Looking at it, I don't think it looks too bad oxo Yeah, changing the codes and stuff with be a pain in the ass, but I would really suggest to sticking to proboards. From personal experience, when looking for rp forums, I tended to stick to proboard sites even if there was a nice one self hosted or hosted by a site that was really confusing.

And I'm sure once v5 comes in, all the previous coders and whatnot will be at it again, rewriting their code. If not, there are a lot of people on Caution 2.0 that provide excellent help in terms of figuring out this new system.

Looking at this site, it's majorly different than a lot of other proboard sites, the way you've laid it out- not even mentioning your newspaper theme. It's obvious that proboards has been capable of major change by the admins to suit their needs. That's what makes proboards very interesting as well as it's easy functioning. I doubt they'll make it completely impossible to achieve what you have now, Kami. I would provide coding help, but I'm not that great and I haven't coded sites in years D:

blarg I don't think I'm making sense to myself

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 9, 2012 0:59:52 GMT -6

@airi - I would respectfully have to disagree. :X Sorry about that! I've been involved with v5 testing since its alpha stages back in 2008, 2009 (so the past three to four years) and I can guarantee you that it won't be as simple as you're implying. I'm not saying that change is impossible — of course it's not! It would just take a very, very long time. I do know that a lot of old coders — specifically the ones that helped TARP with its current layout — are not coming back to code for v5.

Moving or staying here, I would have to learn a new system. The benefits of changing hosts would be that there would already be an established support system, rather than a support system that would require everyone to be learning at the exact same time.

Again, it's not impossible. And we're not sure if we're moving! This is just something that we are considering.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 9, 2012 1:01:03 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2012 1:19:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2012 1:19:08 GMT -6

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that v5 was being tested all the way back to '08. Dang :/ That does set up a lot of problems. Especially as I run another site on proboards @.@ Well, we have time to make a decision, so no need to worry so close to the holidays. Though, I do hope things work out in the end. o3o

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 9, 2012 1:42:07 GMT -6

We actually don't have that much time, hon. v5 will be out "sometime in 2012" and there are only six weeks of that, which is not a lot of time at all if we want to be able to get everyone used to the idea of transferring and everyone prepping to go by copying their profiles and such. ;x
This user is Mod
taedxoa
Nov 11, 2012 12:13:30 GMT -6

Post by taedxoa on Nov 11, 2012 12:13:30 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I realise that this is not going to be helpful per se, but I'm saying it regardless.
I've been here since the beginning and I wouldn't leave if I had the option to stick with it. Where you all go, I go too. ^_^
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2012 8:01:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2012 8:01:39 GMT -6

I think the most important question is what is easiest for Karena and Kami as I assume they will be doing the coding.
spode
Nov 14, 2012 17:27:12 GMT -6

Post by spode on Nov 14, 2012 17:27:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Would the new site keep the newspaper layout?
This user is a guest