The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Probending Talks!

benjiro
Jun 30, 2012 0:37:57 GMT -6

Post by benjiro on Jun 30, 2012 0:37:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
This is about the Probending Matches that are on the site.

Couldn't think of a good place to put this, or find an existing one, so I figured I'd start one here.

So far, the match between the Flying Koi and the Lion Turtles is a fun read. The different lengths, details on how the characters are feeling, and even the basic dice rolling attack/defense parts.

Its all very exciting. I think I am really going to enjoy the different matches that come up on this site! So far the teams seem pretty neck and neck, and the first round is almost over!

A tie? Will the Flying Koi land a lucky strike, or will the Lion Turtles take the round with a well timed hit?

I can't wait to read more and maybe even join a team myself!

Also, if this is the wrong place to put this, a discussion about the current probending match underway, then I apologize.

Wooo teams!
This user is a guest
salv
Jun 30, 2012 0:49:26 GMT -6

Post by salv on Jun 30, 2012 0:49:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It's definitely fun to participate in, I assure you! I find myself checking the site back constantly to see what posts others have made and read about what hits connect and which don't. Even finding out what kind of rolls I get is an in experience itself! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread so far. It's nice to know someone is reading it, other than staff making sure everything is running smoothly! haha.
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jun 30, 2012 2:02:23 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 6:37:22 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
This is fine here, and a good idea, since there wasn't really any place just to chat about it!

I'm having a fun time reading everyone's posts. Hopefully I can get the coding sorted soon. There will likely be a few changes regarding round length and attacking/defending, once the match is over. I appreciate the two teams being such good sports!
This user is Mod
benjiro
Jun 30, 2012 10:46:12 GMT -6

Post by benjiro on Jun 30, 2012 10:46:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I didn't notice it right away, but when I checked on it, I just couldn't stop reading. I can't wait to see how it ends!

I also can't wait to see what changes may be made to the system and such, but I love the coding for the home and away sides. Makes it easy to see who is on what team and what bender they are. Its quite spiffy.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 30, 2012 11:52:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 30, 2012 11:52:35 GMT -6

I am loving the probending posts, which I didn't expect. I'm not usually a fan of reading fights in RP since it's really hard for me to picture what's going on in my head, but it works for probending, probably 'cause I can watch the show as an example. I like it so much I put my name down to be part of the last team and get in on the action. It looks like a ton of fun. :)
This user is a former member
benjiro
Jun 30, 2012 12:22:32 GMT -6

Post by benjiro on Jun 30, 2012 12:22:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I want in the last team as well!

Go pew pew pew earth disks!
This user is a guest
quinseparable
Jun 30, 2012 13:54:06 GMT -6

Post by quinseparable on Jun 30, 2012 13:54:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I didn't expect to follow the thread either, but I just caught up to it and I am enjoying it.

benjiro Avatar
I didn't notice it right away, but when I checked on it, I just couldn't stop reading. I can't wait to see how it ends!

I also can't wait to see what changes may be made to the system and such, but I love the coding for the home and away sides. Makes it easy to see who is on what team and what bender they are. Its quite spiffy.

The coding is very neat! And you're right, it definitely helps you keep everything straight (though it did take me a moment to catch there was a difference for the home and away sides...sometimes I can be a little dense). It's very fun to read and I can't wait to see what happens with this match and the matches to come!
This user is a guest
azn
Jun 30, 2012 16:38:27 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 30, 2012 16:38:27 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm so glad you guys are enjoying reading the match so far! It's good to see that it's not just me (and admins and contestants) reading :) I wasn't sure how it would go, but it has been quite action-packed and exciting. The Hoshigawa character I adopted has proven to be a fun character to rp (toon in after for more Hoshigawa drama! lol) I find myself rushing to a computer and even checking on my smartphone to see if anyone has posted in the match.

I like being the guinea pig, actually. It has been a fun learning experience with the template and figuring out rolls and stuff. I honestly prefer roll-based fights, it makes everything MUCH more fair. As the admins may or may not have learned about me, I voice my opinions about thread efficiency and fairness. Battle-rp is kinda my forte. This will be the 5th(i think?) rp board battle-tournament I've been a part of; I can say that for this being TARP's first tournament, it is going quite smoothly :)

I will do my best to continue posting read-worthy action!

PS: Good job to all contestants, it has been a fun round so far.
PPS: Also, fantastic re-cap/announcer-ing (I love the FLAM-E-O) AND code-fixing and moderating by Kami!
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jun 30, 2012 16:40:52 GMT -6
jin
Jul 1, 2012 0:12:42 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jul 1, 2012 0:12:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'll feel like I'm just an echo in a cave but I am loving it, and I too find myself looking everyday to see the posts. I especially like the Non-Compatant posts too. They really give me an idea of what people think about the posts, and our characters. The drama is GREAT, and will be the milestone for Jin's character development.

Good to hear that someone else specializes in combat-based roleplays. I come from Bleach, and Naruto sites myself; I spent probably six years on those and only ever really found myself staying active there. It's a great feeling to know that I'm here, and I WANT to stay.

I will be honest and say that I was a little skeptical about being the first part of the first team in, but I think from a plot stand point, it's really gonna give Jin, and his teammates the respect they sdeserve from other teams, and will show the world that they can (and will) go all the way (at least to the semi-finals.)
This user is a guest
kgal
Jul 1, 2012 9:38:44 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jul 1, 2012 9:38:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I agree with all the other combatants who have posted. It's so fun and the first thing I do every time I get on the internet is stop by here and see if anyone else has posted. (Usually it's a no, but I try anyway.) I love the fact that the spectators can post - I know I personally, as Sashu, will be attending all of the other probending matches, and chiming in on what she thinks. I honestly believe it's a really good system.

I guess my only qualm is the sketchiness of the coding (which is totally fine since it's still being worked out) and also the fact that you literally rely on everyone else. I know people are busy (myself especially, now that my family's home) but we need to get through, what, 36 posts in total? And if we have two weeks, that's more than two posts per day, and right now we're falling behind. And I have no idea if the matches will be cut short or not. But since some people take longer than others to post, it makes it kind of drag, and I'm finding myself becoming impatient for the next post, despite still needing to catch up on posts in the actual rp boards.

Aside from that, I think the system's really good. It keeps it even and fair. I still think a few things could be tweaked here and there with the dice roll outcomes, but aside from that I really don't have many problems. I honestly don't enjoy roleplaying combat - I may be decent at it, but honestly, making a long post of purely attacks, having little to no reactions at the moment because you have to wait on your opponent to reply, is a somewhat tedious process. The probending matches make it much easier and more fun =]
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jul 1, 2012 9:39:05 GMT -6
benjiro
Jul 2, 2012 12:55:52 GMT -6

Post by benjiro on Jul 2, 2012 12:55:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Woot! First Tie Breaker on the site!

What Element will be picked? How will the Tie Breaker end?

Who wants to start picking who they think will win?

Such fun epicness! I can't wait for my time in the Pro Bending Arena!

And I am wonder what changes to the system that the admins are planning on now. How will it change Pro Bending on the site? More free-form? More structured? The possibilities are just running through my head, but we have to wait and see!

I am thinking that the Lion Turtles are going to win. Nothing against the Flying Koi... they have Turtles in their name. Turtles!

I like turtles... only reason lol
This user is a guest
xedrix
Jul 4, 2012 13:59:26 GMT -6

Post by xedrix on Jul 4, 2012 13:59:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Here's another parrot :) I'm loving reading the first round, and I haven't even got my profile up (just joined the site). Now, this question probably has an obvious answer, and if so then I apologise, but where do you sign up to be part of a team? Could someone please post a link to the thread?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 14:02:40 GMT -6

xedrix Avatar
Here's another parrot :) I'm loving reading the first round, and I haven't even got my profile up (just joined the site). Now, this question probably has an obvious answer, and if so then I apologise, but where do you sign up to be part of a team? Could someone please post a link to the thread?

Welcome to the site! Unfortunately, all the teams are currently filled. You still have a chance to be an alternate, but you'd have to contact one of the teams directly. here is the team roster list so you can look at the different teams & temperaments they expect for the characters. Contact the person with a (C) next to their name, as they are the team captain.

In the future, you should check the stickied threads first! They are the threads with RED links. :]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 4, 2012 14:03:10 GMT -6
xedrix
Jul 4, 2012 14:08:49 GMT -6

Post by xedrix on Jul 4, 2012 14:08:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, thanks. Sorry about that.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 14:11:46 GMT -6

No worries! Send me a PM if you have any further questions. :]]
This user is Mod
azn
Jul 5, 2012 18:10:20 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jul 5, 2012 18:10:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I just got back from work and checked to see how the match is going, and WOW! And then I finished reading Karauda's post, reloaded, and see that Jin made a post that just says "You want to be impressed?" LOL, my timing couldn't have been more perfect. I eagerly await Jin's full post :)
This user is a guest
jin
Jul 5, 2012 18:36:56 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jul 5, 2012 18:36:56 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lmao yeah, I needed to see the rolls before I wrote my reply. I don't really care which rolls are used, but like to have both for reference. Either way this match is looking to be freaking awesome haha.

Edit: and by that I mean in the third round.
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jul 5, 2012 18:37:36 GMT -6
azn
Jul 5, 2012 18:53:06 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jul 5, 2012 18:53:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I know we talked about it before, but I think it would make sense to have us post a 3rd (if applicable) defensive only post to see how the last attack ended up. It would be a shame to waste a wonderfully rolled wall-o-flame attack if the bell is just going to ding -_-

PS: I know I'm just dragging it along, but I can't wait for Zenkai to finally (try to) hit Jin :P

waiting until it is unbearable
This user is a guest
benjiro
Jul 6, 2012 23:24:38 GMT -6

Post by benjiro on Jul 6, 2012 23:24:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ooooooh Excitement~
This user is a guest
kgal
Jul 6, 2012 23:32:20 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jul 6, 2012 23:32:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hmmm. I don't really know how round 3's gonna work out for Sashu at the moment. Her most recent attack is going to take a huge toll in the next post, unless there's a moment given for recuperation. Otherwise she might well be incredibly useless.

And that kind of begs the question: Do injuries inflict a handicap? I think it would be totally sweet. I know you basically have to choose how hard of a blow you sustain, but at the same time, like when Bolin was struck in the arm, it was pretty painful for him. In a match, it would detract from your performance, you know?

But with the dice rolls, I suppose it would be kind of weird trying to figure out what sort of penalties would apply and in which situations and then seeing if the other posters would see/remember the injury... I don't know. I'm just musing =]

EDIT: and I just wanted to give a shoutout to the other participants who are making it a ton of fun to post and even to anticipate, and to Kami who's working so hard to get this to work as seamlessly as it already does =] Thanks, fellow guinea pigs!
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jul 6, 2012 23:36:25 GMT -6