The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Inns, Restaurants, & Food Stalls II

Anonymous
Oct 28, 2012 23:51:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 28, 2012 23:51:01 GMT -6

'Treasures' Restaurant and Collectables

(Tag: Ryari)[/center]

Casually, Shtiya ignored the word slip-up. He knew all too well what it was like to have people scrutinize every word one said. It was an unpleasant feeling at best. As Kwan fumbled over his words, the healer smiled. "Don't worry about it," he said. Shifting his bag, he laughed a little as the taller, broad man tried to backtrack by saying that Shtiya wasn't bad looking. He knew perfectly well that he was... petite... and rather girlish looking. Certainly not 'gorgeous' by any means. The comment about already having someone, though — that caught his attention.

Could it be?

The memory of how hard his father had hit him when he'd found him kissing Toki behind the house was strong in Shtiya's mind, even now, years later — so strong, in fact, that he violently shied away from thoughts about getting involved with someone else. Even the whisper of a questioning thought felt treacherous and wrong. Surely Kwan hadn't meant it like that. He shouldn't think so quickly. His lip ached a little with the memory of his father's backhanded slap. Biting that very same lower lip, Shtiya decided not to say anything. He was overly familiar with the pain of admitting that he liked other men... like that. Instead, the slim young man focused on the clothing, and tried to give off as soothing a vibe as he could. It was a bit more difficult, he realized, when not in the clinic. At the Apothecary, he could easily be calming and authoritative with his patients. It felt like second nature. But outside? He felt off-balance, out of place. He felt like a very small child about to told off. Kwan cut a very imposing figure, and Shtiya felt awkward when people stared. He didn't, however, notice that Kwan was busy staring at him.

One thing he did notice a bit later was that Kwan returned with a parcel. It was even gift-wrapped! How nice it must be, the young Waterbender thought with just a little pang of envy, to have disposable income. Shtiya hadn't been able to give a purchased present in years. Not, of course, that he had anyone to give a present to. He didn't. His own family had no contact with him, and he certainly didn't have a boyfriend. He lived in the back of the Apothecary, so he didn't even have a roommate! The young man's bright blue eyes passed wistfully over the colourful paper and ribbon before he turned away, saying nothing about it. It was rude to pry when someone wasn't his patient.

-x-

The restaurant smelled fabulous as usual, all golden spice and thick sauces. They served rich, warm food at that establishment — simple, but filling. It wasn't an expensive place, and Shtiya tucked himself into the corner of a booth quite easily, asking for genmaicha and brushing hair out of his eyes again. They made an interesting picture, the two of them — Kwan so broad and tall and Shtiya so dainty and small. The young healer was honestly not even sure of what he ought to say next. Should he talk about the weather? Inquire about the man's employment?

He adjusted a bandage on his arm and wrapped slim fingers around the hot cup of tea as soon as it arrived. Smiling a little nervously, he took a breath. "S-s-s-so," he said, breaking eye contact due to the force of getting the words out, "ah — w-what do you do?"
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 28, 2012 23:51:27 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2012 1:03:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2012 1:03:07 GMT -6

'Treasures' Restaurant and Collectibles
[TAG: Zombi]

The smells were certainly enticing, but the sights were, in comparison to the slender man before him, rather uninteresting. Despite there being many different sorts of antiques and collectibles hanging on the walla Kwan's gaze rarely left the form of Shtiya and he raptly paid attention to the younger man. He ordered himself a cup of longjing tea and smiled across the table. "I'm a member of the Republic City Power Union. Which is to say, I work in the power plant. I'm a firebender, with a specialty in lightning. I've been working in the plant for almost seven years. I've managed to save quite a lot of money, since I only recently moved out of my parents home."

He was comfortable talking about himself. It was a subject that he intimately familiar with and he couldn't make any stupid mistakes that way. He did, however, want to learn more, everything really, about the one across from him. "I have my own Satomobile, though I don't use it over-much. I live nearby, and my weekdays are mostly spent working, with the occasional evening spent with a friend." His smile warmed and he placed the parcel upon the table. His tea arrived and before he sipped the young firebender nodded to Shtiya. "What about yourself? Surely you must model or something else befitting your looks?" It was a compliment, but to Kwan it was also truth. He must have some sort of wonderful job or career that he does. He's absolutely beautiful. That skin, those eyes, Avatar's own luck, but if every inch of him is as gorgeous as what I can see now... his thoughts trailed off as a blush suffused his face. He tried to hide it in his teacup as he listened to the angelic bender.

"I..." he started slowly after a break in the conversation. "...I figured I would get you this, since I ran into you and all. An apology, if you will, for not only that, but sticking my foot in my mouth." The blush remained as Kwan remembered exactly what it was that had been said. Wait until later in the meal, and if things go well, maybe you can ask him if he'd like to have lunch or dinner on another day. Try not to use the word date, though. Unless you're sure of how he...ya know...leans. His thoughts seemed to be coaching him in a good direction, which was what they usually did when he actually had time to think them.

"I saw you looking at it, and I figured that something you looked at so longingly would make a perfect apology gift...and ya know...I like to buy pretty things for..." Here the golden eyes rose from teacup to the aqualine eyes opposite the table from him. "...Well, pretty people deserve pretty things." It was, perhaps, a bit much, not knowing Shtiya's sexual preferences, but the small house of a firebender simply couldn't help but flirt. He was interested, Shtiya was more than good looking, and it really couldn't be helped. He had to flirt or he'd hate himself later for not even trying.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 29, 2012 1:05:40 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2012 1:45:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2012 1:45:57 GMT -6

'Treasures' Restaurant and Collectibles
[TAG: Ryari]

Oh, a power plant worker! How exciting. Shtiya smiled, showing even white teeth. "That must be exciting!" he said. He couldn't imagine what it must be like in there. What a rewarding job! Providing necessary power to the whole city — it might get monotonous after a while, perhaps, but Shtiya thought it would be a nice occupation. "I appreciate the p-power you p-p-p-—" unable to get the word out, he closed his eyes for a second, breathing deeply through his nose. Work past the frustration and continue, choose a different word. "Make. The power you make." He smiled a close-lipped smile and sipped from his tea, glancing away. It was still embarrassing, even after all this time.

"I have my own Satomobile"

Well that got his attention. The man had his own Satomobile? It must pay well in the power plant! Shtiya's eyes were a bit wide, surprised. He had always been taught that it was rude, of course, to comment on money, religions, or politics when dining with strangers or outside of one's home, so he said nothing. His surprise was, regardless, clear. He could not possibly imagine having that kind of money. Even growing up, his family had been dreadfully working-class. Shtiya had grown up in a comfortable home, with enough, but not an excess. Saving up to buy things was normal for him. Even that cheap, plain shirt had been carefully saved for.

"What about yourself? Surely you must model or something else befitting your looks?"

The young Waterbender almost choked on his tea. "N-n-no," he said quickly, "I'm — I'm a healer." Just a healer, nothing glamourous, but he loved it. '"I'm from the N-north Pole. But, I've l---ived here in the city for about t-two years now." Hopefully Kwan wouldn't ask about his own family, considering the bad memories he'd already stirred up by inciting some thinking on Shtiya's part. He hated to explain his situation to people, but the Waterbender never lied, and so if asked he had no choice. It was better to avoid talking about his family, though. It was always a bit distressing, and as such made the stammer worse.

They were soon approached and asked for their order, and so he was saved for a moment by the ordering of food. Shtiya wanted just soup and bread please, nothing fancy. By the time the food came he found he was starving, and so tucked into the meal with more relish than he'd anticipated. It was perfect, just spicy enough. The young man closed his eyes with pleasure for a moment — he so rarely ate food he didn't make himself!

As Kwan pushed the parcel across the table to him, Shtiya once again found himself not knowing what to say. Surely, surely his wondering mind had been correct earlier, when questioning... preferences. How else could he possibly explain this kindness? Looking up at the tall man through long, dark lashes, Shtiya just.. stared, for a moment. He didn't know what to say. Bright blue eyes mirrored the inner turmoil of wanting but feeling duty-bound to say no. He hadn't been given a present by anyone in... quite a long time. "I —" he brushed a finger gingerly over the bright paper. He knew what it was without opening it; there was only one thing he'd been eyeing in that store, after all. And he knew full well how expensive it was. "I — I d-——-on't know how I could p-possibly accept something so... ex-—-pensive," he said, voice soft, the stammer worse for his emotions. "I c-c-could never pay you back."
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 29, 2012 21:07:38 GMT -6
taedxoa
Oct 31, 2012 21:56:10 GMT -6

Post by taedxoa on Oct 31, 2012 21:56:10 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Illustrioso [tag: Ren'ai, Yuri, Kamil][/u]

Sora could see that Tadashi was rather enjoying his talk with Liu. The young firebender was very deferential and polite and seemed to be, if not genuinely interested, then at least capable of simulating deep interest in the Air Acolyte practices that Tadashi was describing. But the elder firebender could also see Liu growing uncomfortable, and she was not surprised as much when he had to suddenly leave due to not feeling well. Her eyes tracked him to the door, and then snapped back to Tadashi. He looked crestfallen and he had apparently been following Liu's exit as well. He was still staring after Liu at the closed door.

Intuition told Sora that while this had mostly to do with the loss of a conversation partner, it also had a small bit to do with an unwilling attraction on her grandson's part. On the other hand, intuition also told her that Hei Bai had been the third Earth King in life and that every other full moon he polished clean the giant statue of Avatar Aang in Yue Bay using only his breath and a cotton handkerchief.

"Tadashi," she said quietly. Her grandson's head snapped around and he met her gaze. She looked at him for a long silent moment and he did not move. This sort of exchange was normal for the two of them. Finally she nodded and released her eyes from his. Glancing at her plate, she saw with surprise that it was empty, and decided this was an excellent time to force an exit for Tadashi and herself.

"Dear me, she said in a quiet panic that only the people immediately around her could hear. "How did I leave my medicine at home? Tadashi," she said again a little louder, "My medicine is at home. I have to take it every night. I know that, I wish I'd remembered to bring it, why on earth I needed a rutabaga in my purse instead of my medicine is beyond me." Mournfully she lifted what appeared to be a rotten onion out of her handbag, shook her head, picked a piece of lint off of it and tossed it (the lint) behind her, then replaced the vegetable in her bag and patted it. "I know you're supposed to return to the dormitories tonight but I need you to take me home and help me find my medicine first."

"What? Oh," Tadashi said with some considerably confusion — and sadness. And guilt. He had lost a guy that he had no chance with, who was dating his best friend who hadn't seen fit to warn him about the guy, and who he had hated at first. And now he wasn't really sure what to feel. And he definitely wasn't sure his grandmother wasn't conning everyone, including himself... even with the vegetable in her purse.

Pouting a little, he turned to Ren'ai. "I'm so sorry Ren'ai. She has trouble breathing unless she takes that medicine. I do need to get her home right away, I guess." He pushed his chair back, stood and replaced the chair under the table, and then bowed in the general direction of everyone. "Thank you so much everyone, it was lovely to meet you. Enjoy the rest of the evening. Grandma?" He walked around the table and offered an arm.

"Was that for your benefit or for mine?" he muttered to Sora as they left the building.

"Tadashi, sweetheart, rutabagas don't really benefit anyone," Sora replied sadly. "Just a myth."
This user is a guest