The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

What were we supposed to be doing again? [ Airi ]

jiggyt35
Jul 8, 2012 9:32:45 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 8, 2012 9:32:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
"Did you find that blanket, Honey?" His mother called from the next room over. "Uh.....not yet!" Niko replied as he rushed over to their trunk and sifted through its contents. He had been so keen on making the cookware fit into a cabinet that the young man had forgotten completely about his blanket finding duties. Niko had promised to stay in that morning and help his mother look for things of varying non-importance, but the city awaited outside. After many tense minutes of searching, the flowered throw was finally recovered from the small family's as-of-yet unpacked trunk, and the two sat down in the unfurnished common area to enjoy a short lunch of rice. Niko didn't have much of an appetite and set his bowl down after only a few bites. The look of longing was obvious on his face as he glanced out the small window at the city, and knowing exactly what her son wanted, Sung released Niko from his morning confinement. "The kitchen looks good kiddo, you can go." she said with a smile. Niko jumped up and ran to put his boots on Finally! Freedom! before leaving he kissed his mother on the cheek, "Thank you, but are you sure we're looking at the same kitchen?"

The city was full to the brim with sunshine and there wasn't a finer day to be found anywhere else. Niko walked though crowds of people on the street and wondered down which ever way promised the most excitement. What he wanted more than anything was a job, something to occupy his time and a chance to prove himself. His eyes were glued to the shop windows that lined the sidewalk and his mind was quickly pulled from earning money to spending it. The few extra yuans in his pocket were suddenly feeling very heavy.

A quick minute later and Niko walked out of a hardware shop, the proud new owner of a hammer. Yes! he thought enthusiastically, This is the perfect thing for our new apartment! What he planned to do with this hammer was yet unknown to him, but it was an item of humble beauty that was sure to come in handy. The young man walked with purpose toward.....no it was...wait. Which way was home? Niko looked up as if he would find a big arrow pointing him in the right direction, but found only a blank afternoon sky. He suddenly felt very foolish standing on the street corner with absolutely no money and a hammer. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbows to hide the fact that they were not long enough to accommodate his lanky arms and his boots looked rather worn compared to the footwear of everyone else who knew where they were going. Everything about him seemed suddenly inadequate. He sighed in frustration and looked into the ever-changing flow of faces around him. Somebody had to be able to help, right?
This user is a guest
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 30, 2012 18:20:43 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 8, 2012 12:51:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 8, 2012 12:51:03 GMT -6

"Mom" the girl whined. "Can't I just have one free day?" She looked to her mother, who sighed at her daughter's request. Airi patiently waited with high hopes for a response other than the release of air. To her, the spoken words were majorly important as reading people's body language wasn't much of her thing, so her mother's scowl and crossed arms meant nothing to the young firebender.

"Fine," her mother said at long last, making Airi almost jump with joy. "But I need you to pick up the flour. That's your only chore," she instructed, but those words didn't faze the girl until she was downstairs, putting on her shoes. Dumbfound, she looked back up at her mother, who gave her one last exasperated look before walking off, her last words echoing in the small house of "I love you, darling".

At least, Airi realized, she didn't have much to do! Only when there was a big demand did she work in the kitchen, helping her mother and father prepare and bake bread. If she wasn't she was most likely running all around the city on errands. Well, she loved to run around and be helpful, but sometimes she just liked a little time for her to do what she wanted.

She skipped out onto the open streets and let her feet take her wherever they wanted to go. On this sunny day, she just wanted to enjoy being outside and having a tidbit of freedom. She loved the warmth of the sun on her skin, reminding her of her bending ability and how much she wanted to use it, but you wouldn't be using bending willy nilly, especially firebending! It was a sad truth, but even if she couldn't, she had most of the day to herself! How could she be sad?!

While Airi roamed the city, taking the long way to the flour provider, walking through alleyways, playing with younger children and helping the occasional old lady with whatever she needed. She continued to walk with the crowd when she noticed something quite peculiar. She noticed a boy with a hammer? How strange! He looked frustrated, though. Hopefully, he wasn't going to use it on anyone!

"Hi!" the bubbly girl said, smiling, tapping on his shoulder a few times. "Do you need some help?"
This user is a former member
jiggyt35
Jul 8, 2012 13:44:29 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 8, 2012 13:44:29 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Don't panic, Niko told himself. He took a few deep breaths but that only made his heart race faster. I'm just lost in the world's hugest city and I spent the last of my money on a hammer. It didn't make the situation sound any better to say it like that, but that was the way the young bender always solved problems. He thought about what he knew and tried to figure something out with his brain, which at the moment was drawing a blank.

He felt a tap tap tapping on his shoulder and whirled around clutching his only possession close to his chest. He was surprised to see a girl talking so animatedly to him, when so far everybody else had been treating him like a brick wall. She sounded very nice from her greeting.

"Hellloooo!" He responded in a much too loud voice. He cleared his throat and made an effort of stand up straight and suddenly realized that he was still holding his hammer out in front of him. Niko whipped it behind his back and began to try and explain himself when the nice girl spoke again.
"I-I--"

"Do you need some help?"

"Help?!?" Niko was careful not to shout at her this time. "uh, of course! Help would be wonderful!" The smile on the girl's face made him feel like he should keep talking. She exuded openness and before he knew it an introduction was falling out of his mouth. "I uh-- my name's Niko. And I'm lost."

While one hand hid the shameful tool behind his back the other was held out to the girl. Do they do handshakes in Republic City? He was unclear on the customary hand gesture that went along with meeting new people and looked down at his now up turned palm. Figuring it was never a bad time to learn, Niko looked up at the girl to see what she was doing with her hands.

This user is a guest
Last edit by jiggyt35: Jul 8, 2012 18:54:48 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 9, 2012 0:22:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 9, 2012 0:22:01 GMT -6

Airi laughed at the boy's response. That was quite the response! He looked rather confused, but she couldn't imagine why. Was he lost or something? Well, this was a pretty big city and even she has managed to get herself lost, despite having lived in the city for most of her life. Sometimes she wondered if the city just ended up like this or if Avatar Aang planned it to be confusing. Neither of those ideas made sense to her, but she never thought on that subject that much to come up with anything different.

"Alright," she said, her smile growing bigger. "My name is Airi. It's nice to meet you, Niko!" This guy looked like he was new, judging by his clothes, but nonetheless, she knew that this was going to be an adventure. The firebender loved to help people, even though she didn't want to do errands. She always figured there was a difference between showing someone a bit of kindness compared to grabbing bags of flour and whatnot.

"Where do you need to go," she asked. "Whatever your destination, I'll take you there!" Airi promised. She knew the city like the back of her hand- whatever that saying meant! However, she just couldn't give directions. It just wasn't possible for her to put that kind of thing into words. She had an internal navigation system, so to say. It was just easier for her to be there, knowing the sight of the streets better than her memory of them.

What she didn't get was why his gaze seemed to be focused on their hands. Was she supposed to have done something? Like a secret handshake or give him something? Maybe he liked her gloves?

Oh! But first, they needed to get away from this silly crowd. She grabbed his wrist as best she could, running against the crowd to the safety of the sidewalk. "So, what's the destination?" She scratched her head, her fingers getting stuck for a moment, but once they were out, she managed to undo her braid. Oh well! She grabbed the ribbon and decided that, for now, to just leave it in a pony tail.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 9, 2012 0:24:33 GMT -6
jiggyt35
Jul 9, 2012 13:25:31 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 9, 2012 13:25:31 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Looking up at her smiling face, Niko imagined the name written in the air in front of her, Airi, trying to connect that name to her face. She spoke so confidently that he would've been crazy to pass her offer up. His fear dissipated and his eyes lit up with something good: hope? friendship? He didn't know the name for the feeling she was giving him, but it made him content to know she was there to help 'whatever his destination.'

He was relieved when she finally reached forward to shake his hand, or otherwise enlighten him on the Republic City greeting, when instead she grabbed a hold of his wrist. "This is new!" Niko stammered as Airi swiftly pulled him through the crowd. While she was able to run between the many pedestrians Niko had a tougher time getting through. He stepped on many people's feet, banged his shoulder into a man three times his size, and almost knocked over an elderly woman, all the while trying to apologize and not hit anybody with his hammer. Finally reaching salvation on the sidewalk, Niko pushed his dark hair off his forehead and looked at Airi with surprise, What is this girl gonna do next?

She inquired their destination and Niko found the perfect time to explain himself. "Well Airi, you're gonna think I'm crazy or-- or an idiot, but I was just out walking around when I see this hammer in a shop window and I think 'Hey that's just the thing we need at our new apartment!' You see, we just moved in and the only thing I remember about our building is that...." It was starting to seem as if he remembered nothing about their building after all. Niko waved his hand in front of him trying to think of something, anything! "The uh... the handrail! The handrail by the front door is painted red! Oh! Oh! and it's by that big park!"

Am I making any sense to her? He wondered. There could by thirty parks in this city for all he knew! He tried to be more specific and added quietly, "The park with the pond."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 10, 2012 18:28:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 10, 2012 18:28:22 GMT -6

Airi felt bad about dragging the guy through, but there wasn't any other way out! If they continued to stand there, they would only be an obstacle for the people passing. By the time they left the moving crowd, he didn't look too roughed up about that. That's good; she wouldn't know what to do if he had gotten hurt. Well, she would feel sorry and responsible, but she wouldn't know how to help.

"I don't think you're an idiot at all!" she chimed after listening to his explanation of his situation. It was a bit hard to hear, due to the crowd to the side, making noise, even more so since she her attention span wasn't that great. "But that's cool! I'm glad you moved here! It's really great, despite the bad stuff." The city itself was amazing, but the people were a different matter altogether.

The handrail by the park? Sounded familiar, but she wouldn't really know until she got to the park. She laughed at his words, when he tried to explain the park he was talking about was the one with the pond. "I know what you mean," she said. "I might be able to help; or at least help you to the park. It's this way!" she told him, following the sidewalk with a skip in her step.

"Oh!" she said with a sudden realization and turning to Niko. "I how long have you been here? Why did you move here? Do you like it so far?" Airi asked, attacking him with questions. She just loved to meet new people.
jiggyt35
Jul 11, 2012 18:50:42 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 11, 2012 18:50:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Niko was in a much better mood after learning that Airi and he were speaking of the same park. She was laughing about something he had said and he couldn't help but laugh himself. When they set off together down the side walk a little smile still lingered on his face. The sun was beaming down on the concrete and glass making the city look as if it was glowing with golden light.

Niko's eyes wondered like a child's between strangers, display windows, and Airi's profile that walked next to him. There was so much to see and the magic of it all hadn't faded one bit since he had first seen a traffic light 48 hours ago. He was inspecting a line of customers in front of a street vendor when, remembering something, Airi spoke. Niko tore his eyes away to look at her and caught on that the questions were for him.

"hm..." He stalled giving himself some time to think before responding. His brain was just too focused on everything else to converse coherently. "We've-— my mother and I have been here for two or three days now. We came by train." The train ride had been Niko's favorite part. "I really like it here too! Like you said before, 'the good outweighs the bad.' It's just all so... different." He clarified, "in a good way." The last question was a little harder to answer; if she had asked why they left it would've been simple. No matter how much he loved his grandparents it didn't change the fact he was bored with the farm life. If they had the financial ability to travel somewhere new and live in a different world than the one they knew, then why shouldn't they? But that's not what Airi had asked. She asked Niko why they came here. To Republic City.

"I think we came here because it's different, and special, and one-of-a-kind. Everyone says that there's no place else in the world like Republic City and I think that's the truth. I haven't been to many places but, this one is...something." He wondered if the people who had lived here their whole lives even knew that. "It's really something." he said with fondness.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2012 16:52:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2012 16:52:08 GMT -6

"That's cool!" she said. "I hear the train is a lot of fun, but I've never actually gone on it. I've had the need to, you see," she tells him, getting lost in her own words. "I've lived here all my life and I walk everywhere. My parents say I have way too much energy, and I don't disagree with them, but it would be nice to try the train once or twice. I don't know where I would go or how much it would cost." The perky firebender's words had the most carefree air to them, and the girl who said them was just the same way. To her, she didn't suspect anything from Niko's pauses or even the avoidance of a few of her inquiries. To her, she got some answers and that was enough!

"You've got that right!" she chimed happily. Airi kept walking, though her eyes darted everywhere, noticing everything she could. She noticed little children being pulled on behind their mothers and men checking their watches like they were in a hurry. "I used to get lost all the time, but not anymore. I mean, I have a bit of a memory problem, so it's hard for me to remember what I'm doing, but I've lived here long enough, I know how to get home at almost every point of the city. And I say almost because this place just keeps on growing!" She throws her arms into the air, as if to show that the city was growing.

"Look!" she said, pointing dead ahead of them. "I can see the park just a bit ahead. Do you recognize anything now?" Airi asks him.
jiggyt35
Jul 18, 2012 18:41:42 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 18, 2012 18:41:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It made him feel better that he wasn't the only one getting lost. Niko had never been in a city this big before, but the risk of loosing your way only added to the dangerous charm of the place. It really interested him that Airi had lived here a long time and he felt like he was just bursting with questions: Why do you walk everywhere? Have you ever been in a Sato-mobile? What is your house like? He would've asked her these and more but she was still talking about how the city grew and grew.

He had decided to ask his most burning question (Why do they have so many streets if they all face the same direction?) when they spotted the park. Niko felt an enormous weight lift from his chest and sighed happily. Apparently there was a part of him that had never expected to find it again even with the local's help. "That's it! That's the one!" he laughed pointing to the perfectly pruned trees and immaculate lawns. "Come on!" He encouraged cheerfully gesturing animatedly with his hand for her to follow. They half-walked half-jogged briskly into the park under the open sky and away from the towering buildings. There were a few people scattered about enjoying the beautiful day and walking along sidewalks which Niko unintentionally ignored. He brought Airi in a bee-line for the water's edge and looked around excitedly. "Yes, this is it." he reaffirmed turning to face her. His melodrama settled into contentment, and he said, "Airi, my friend, thank you so so much! Hey, have you ever been here before? to the park?"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 21:06:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 21:06:50 GMT -6

"Yay!" Airi chimed happily when he confirmed that the park she lead him to was the right one. How awkward would it be if she had been thinking of a different park with a pond and lead him that way? If that had happened, he would have been even more lost and might not even like Republic City anymore! She couldn't let that happen; this place had been a good enough home for her and she was confident that it would be for just about anyone, but people needed the right first impression! Just like when people came to the bakery, you needed to be nice. If you seemed mean, they'll think you're angry all the time!

"Sure," she agreed when he urged her to follow him, skipping along as he jogged, following him swiftly past the crowds of people, turning her body this way and that to avoid knocking into people."It's great!" the brown haired girl exclaimed. "And no problem; I'm always to help! And yes, I have. I used to come here a lot as a kid, but not so much anymore. Or, uh, at least, not that I remember," she said. Unbeknownst to most people she knew, she had the odd fear of turtle ducks. There was no reason for, so she avoided the situations by not going to places with turtle ducks, but she wasn't about to blurt that out loud randomly.
jiggyt35
Jul 21, 2012 20:37:59 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 21, 2012 20:37:59 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It made him kind of sad to think that she didn't get to come to the park as often as she did as a child. Then again, Airi didn't sound sad about it in the slightest. Perhaps she was just too busy to spend a day here, or maybe she was just the kind of person who disliked parks (as if those kinds of people even existed). Niko decided that she had her own reasons for liking or disliking the park, to whatever degree, and it was probably none of his business as to why.

He knew it didn't matter though. They were here now and they might as well make the most of it. After a small silence Niko looked around. There were fewer people now and some of the sights started to jog his memory. "When I came here the other morning I-- I think I was walking this way." He pointed down one of the cement paths that ran East. He was pretty confident that he could find his way home from here, but... just in case, he told himself. He didn't want Airi to leave just yet.

"I feel kinda bad, ya know." he started walking slowly, parallel with the water's edge. "For wasting your time. That is..." he hesitated and looked up at her "I mean, assuming you were doing something. Before you saw me." Niko was never the most articulate person in the world, but he found it even harder to speak when he felt guilty or especially obliged to someone. It wasn't just enough to thank her; Niko wouldn't feel better until he had repaid her. "Is there something I can help you with?"
This user is a guest
Last edit by jiggyt35: Jul 21, 2012 21:58:22 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 22, 2012 19:26:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 22, 2012 19:26:27 GMT -6

"Good!" she said. He was remembering stuff about his way home. Airi never had troubles going home, so she couldn't get how hard it was to reposition oneself in the city since he problem was all about the situation, not the place. She often ended up in the underground area because the homeless lead her that way after she would repeat something several times, forgetting she had done it or hadn't even finished it. That was why she got lost in the place she knew so well and called home.

Why did he feel like he wasted her time? She had time to herself, but it wasn't like she had any plans as to what to do with it! It seemed like a crazy thing to do, to the firebender, to plan out one's day unlike letting it take it's own course. "It's fine! I love helping," she said. It was true she loved to help, but it stemmed from having been helped so much that she just wanted to give back. "But I would love some food!" she exclaimed happily. Airi loved food. She burnt so much energy firebending or running around doing whatever that food was often on her mind.

"Do you have any rice? Or fruit? Meat is always nice, too," she asked for, happily. Fried rice was also nice, especially when he had a bunch of veggies in it!
jiggyt35
Jul 23, 2012 15:21:16 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 23, 2012 15:21:16 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Food was a perfect idea! Niko was feeling a little hungry himself and he was sure he could find something at home to whip up, or if he was lucky his mother would've left him something before she went to work for the evening. "Well that's the smartest thing I've heard all day!" he chimed enthusiastically. "I might have something waiting at home we can eat, but just in case there's not, let me tell you right now: I'm a great cook! Anything you want, and I can give it a shot!"

Miraculously, being in the park had given Niko his sense of direction back. The setting there was a little more familiar to him that the buildings that lurked all around it. "Let's cross that foot bridge over there," he said to Airi, "and then it should only be a block or two 'til we're there." It was a shorter walk than he had expected and before he knew it they had arrived.

Upon reassessing the building Niko wasn't surprised that he had trouble finding it. With it's multitude of grimy windows and 15 stories of aging red brick it looked exactly like the other apartment building that had stood around it for the past 20 years. However he did remember seeing the street address posted above the door, 518. The landlord's elderly mother sat outside and gave them a wizened grin as they past by. Nodding back to her Niko climbed the three small steps to the door and tugged it open. "We're on the third floor," he told Airi while holding the door. "Let's get you some food and then we'll be even."

This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2012 0:08:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2012 0:08:18 GMT -6

Airi giggled at his comment of hearing something smart. All she did was mention food! Then again, he might not have talked to anyone before he met her; he had looked lost like he hadn't any help when she first saw him. Then again, you don't have to talk to hear something so she decided to push those confusing thoughts to the back of her mind, moving on to a more important matter at hand: filling her stomach. "Really? Great!" she commented happily. A cook? Anything she wanted? This day just got a whole lot better!

"Oh~kay," she sung, responding to his directions. She kept quite after that, letting herself gaze at all the buildings. Though the all looked the same: run down, old and grimy, she found each one had their own charm whether it be a potted plant outside someone's window or seeing younger kids running around in the streets without a care in the world or the wear of the steps to the houses, how one side looked more used than the other.

She followed Niko up the stairs, nothing even remotely resembling the doubt of his intentions. Her mother, for all her attempts, could never teach Airi about the falsehoods of people such as some lie. Going to someone's apartment for food after helping them out with something so small? Her naive mind couldn't imagine it being anything bad seeing as Niko looked sincere enough.

"Thank you," she said, walking in past Niko. The place wasn't as spacious at the bakery, but it had a cozy, home-like feeling to it though it still looked like they were settling in. "Anything tasty would be nice," she said, taking her a second to realize how vague that was. "Like, something sweet," she added awkwardly, hoping she got some point across.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 25, 2012 0:09:35 GMT -6
jiggyt35
Jul 27, 2012 11:44:35 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 27, 2012 11:44:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Niko followed her in and kicked his boots off ready to get to work. It took only three steps to get from the door to the Kitchen area and he looked around murmuring "fried rice and...something sweet, huh?" He spotted a paper grocery bag practically tore it open, eager to see what awaited inside. "Alright!" He knew what he was going to make! The first thing he pulled out of the bag was a small package wrapped in butcher's paper which held a fresh cut of chicken. After it followed a head of cabbage, a platypus bear egg and a bundle of tomato-carrots. All this would make for a fine meal, but as Niko reached up to grab a pan from the rack above the stove, the paper bag flipped over with a crinkling noise and an additional item rolled out. He couldn't help but laugh at the serendipity.

"You said you wanted something sweet, right?" He asked walking over to his guest. Niko showed her to a cushion that sat just outside the cooking area. "Well, you can have this while I cook. It's jennamite!" he smiled "My mother used to buy it for me all the time when I was little." He returned to his work with the food and started to cook the left over rice from earlier that day with the egg and vegetables until a savory smell filled the room and the sound of hissing sizzles carried throughout it.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 30, 2012 18:07:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 30, 2012 18:07:11 GMT -6

"Really?" Airi replied when Niko offered her the sweet treat. He had just met him but he was still willing to cook her something AND give her candy! "Thank you!" she exclaimed, reaching out to take hold of the jennamite right after she had taken off her shoes, setting them neatly next to his. No matter her love for candy, she had yet to eat one mainly because her mother did not think that the sugar would be good for her. The firebender had plenty of lollipops, taffy and chocolate, but not this! This was truly a big thing to her, despite how small the act was.

Gingerly, she tried to bite it, the side of her tongue rubbing against the treat. It was so different! It didn't remind her of any candy she had eaten before. Well, jenamite originated from the Earth kingdom, right? Though she had been born in the earth colonies, she had not been old enough to remember a thing. Sad, but she didn't mind. Republic City was her home and she loved it! Yet the question as to why her father never brought any home was beyond her level of comprehension.

She watched Niko as he cooked -also she still tried to figure out how to eat her treat- with curiosity. She was okay at cooking and better at making bread but she had never eaten something that looked like what he was making. She wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

"It really does look like you just moved here,"she stated, managing to bite off a piece of the jennamite and holding in her cheek as she spoke. "Where are your parents?"she asked, bouncing lightly on tips of her toes, not one to adapt to stay still very quickly.
jiggyt35
Jul 30, 2012 19:49:49 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 30, 2012 19:49:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Niko was still thinking fondly on his childhood home in the southern Earth Kingdom as he stirred and prodded the rice dish with a wooden spoon. It had always been the highlight of his week when his mother brought him rock candy, and though blue was his favorite, any colour was more than enough to make him grin. Just the sight of the shiny treat elicited memories of old friends' faces from the village. Even though he missed the sweet flavour, it was far better to share jennamite with a new friend, than to sit and eat it by yourself remembering old ones.

He didn't want to fuss with the food too much, so Niko set the spoon down and leaned his elbows back on the counter top and let it cook for a while yet undisturbed. At Airi's comment he noticed just how cluttered their place looked. What was a normal amount of possessions in a normal sized house, seemed like an excess of 'stuff' in a tiny apartment such as this one. "Yeah, well...heh!" the only response he could come up with was a chuckle.

As to where his parents were: "My mother's probably working the evening shift down at this restaurant....uh you know, where all those other restaurants are." he said waving his hand vaguely, "She's just working there temporarily because we only came here with enough money for the first month's rent. Oh, and....." It wasn't that he was embarrassed to talk about his father, Niko had just never had to put their relationship (or lack there of) into words before. He picked up the utensil again just for something to do with his hands "My dad isn't-- well, he doesn't live with us. It was a long time ago and, he's not a bad guy, it just didn't work out the way it always does with people, ya know?"

Niko filled two bowls with the now browned fried rice and presented it to Airi along with a pair of chopsticks to eat with. "Here you are miss: fried rice, Earth Kingdom style!" It felt kind of nice to talk about his dad, and it was strange to think that no one had ever asked before. Then again, word about his parental situation had probably spread three times around the town before he even turned 8. "What about you?" he inquired "Your parents are probably something neat like satomobile drivers or fishermen, right?"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 31, 2012 0:29:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 31, 2012 0:29:25 GMT -6

"I could- ack-" she began to say, only to have a bit of the candy fall back into her throat. Instantly, she began to cough, her head tilting forward slightly in her efforts to dislodge the bit. It didn't take long, but it still had hurt her throat. Blinking away tears, she swallowed the candy and returned to what she had been saying. "I could help!" she offered, smiling. The act of helping someone was never a bother to her; it actually made her really happy when she did it! So many people helped her, so she just wanted to give back to the world. Besides he gave her candy AND food!

"Haha, yup!" she said, responding to the restaurant comment. Boy, it just didn't seem like he got the fact she knew Republic City like the back of her hand. "Oh... Really?" Airi said sadly when he mentioned paying for rent. Though she did like to help, money wasn't something she could pass around so easily and she knew that very well. Despite her child-like nature, she was an adult that works in a business. "I'm sorry," she said softly, looking at the remaining rock-candy in her hand, then back at him. She had bitten it and kind of licked it on accident. She could offer it to him but it might be a bit weird...

Niko handed her a pair of chopsticks and the bowl of rice (it's smelled so good!) and she began to eat it hastily. He was a good cook! "This is great!" she exclaimed happily. She knew there was a reason she liked fried rice! She took a few more bites without swallowing that her cheeks became stuffed. "My parents? Oh spirits, no. We run a family bakery. You know. Bread." The firebender swallowed her food before continuing on. "My mom is from the Fire Nation, originally, I think. My dad's from the Earth Colonies... well, I guess that's considered the United Republic of Nations now, huh?" she said with a giggle. "Actually, I was born there. We moved here when I was really little."
jiggyt35
Jul 31, 2012 16:17:28 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 31, 2012 16:17:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Niko ate large bite of rice and vegetables while he listened to the condensed history of Airi's family. He didn't mean to assume anything about her, but just from hearing about her mother it hinted that her heritage was mostly Fire Nation, and of course her golden eyes were a dead give away! Niko's blueish gray ones were a not-so-subtle indication of his roots too, but it had been a long time since anyone had felt the need to keep where they were from a secret.

"It figures that you would be a baker's daughter!" he laughed between mouthfuls, "It's just lucky I found someone with enough breadcrumbs to get me home!" Niko didn't mean to tell such lame jokes, or reply with cheesy puns, but the first thing out of his mouth always seemed to be a rinky-dink cliche.

Something she had said reminded Niko of the train ride into the city.When the water had come into view a little girl and her younger brother had stuck their noses against the windows and looked out over the bay with whispers of fear and intrigue. Niko had to wonder himself if what they said was true or not. "Can I ask you a question? Since you've lived here along time you might know the answer."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 31, 2012 22:39:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 31, 2012 22:39:43 GMT -6

"Really?" she said amazed. He figured it? Did that mean that he guessed it in his head or something before she even told him? Amazing! "Oh," she said, a little less amazed. She had obviously not gotten his joke. Airi did have any breadcrumbs with her. Usually, she would take a bag of bread crusts to the underground place for the homeless since they helped her so much, but she never figured having breadcrumbs would help anyone much less on helping someone find their way home. The girl tilted her head to the side with her eyes open and wide, blinking a few times, hoping he would explain it. What ever it was that he said.

"Oh, sure!" the brown haired girl said happily, always eager to please. "Ask away!" She wanted to know what... uh, he wanted to know from her? She couldn't seem to tell, but he seemed to have a worried look on his face. What was that about? What did he need to know?

ooc// crappy post. sorry ???