The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

What were we supposed to be doing again? [ Airi ]

jiggyt35
Jul 31, 2012 23:42:43 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Jul 31, 2012 23:42:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
In retrospect, Niko saw that his comment about the breadcrumbs would probably have gone over anybody's head. He could feel his ears turning red from embarrassment, though he reminded himself angrily that there was no reason to feel that way. "Oh, I should probably tell you: there's an old story about a little girl who goes into the forest, and she leaves a trail of breadcrumbs so she can find her way home." While his poor comedic timing was learned from his grandfather (the master), all the stories Niko grew up with were from Granny Hiroka herself. He knew this one by heart and continued to give Airi the abridged version, far past the point of relevance. " And she meets this old woman with gray hair and loooooong fingernails who tries to lure her inside her house, but it turns out the old woman is an evil bloodbender!" Niko raised his hands up like the claws of a monster, as was custom when telling the scary part.

He knew he had gotten way off topic, but who doesn't love a good story? He quickly lowered his hands and cleared his throat as if to dispel all the silliness in the atmosphere. "Anyway," he said with all the seriousness he could muster," I was wondering about the Yue bay." His voice dropped down to barely more than a whisper, "Is it true that they... ya know, after the triads," he ran a finger across his throat dramatically, " 'off' someone... is it true that they throw the bodies in the water? Because I heard that they tie them to rocks so they stay at the bottom, and no one can even see them from the surface." He wondered just how many people were at the bottom of the bay right then, and the thought made a shiver go up and down his spine.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 2, 2012 22:00:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 2, 2012 22:00:23 GMT -6

Oh, so it was a story he was referring to! She felt bad noticing his extreme blush when she misunderstood his joke. Maybe she should have just laughed with him even though she had no idea what he was trying to say. "Eek!" the woman sqeeked when the climax of the story came around. Upon realization of this reaction (which took a few more moments that most people would take), she laughed lightly. "I see. Sorry, I don't tend to remember stuff like that," she apologized. It was possible she could have forgotten something like that, but it was also very likely that her mother had just skimped out on children stories when she was trying to establish a good source of income by using the bakery when they had first moved here. It didn't bother her, though. At least she could look forward to learning something new everyday.

Suddenly, she presense of the room grew serious and the firebender even stopped eating to listen to Niko's question. She couldn't say she knew a whole lot of stuff like that, but it was a possibilty that he had heard all sorts of rumors before moving here seeing as he just moved here."I haven't heard of anything of the sort," Airi honestly said, though her yellow eyes were filled with sympathy to whatever was put into his head. "I mean, yeah, we have the gang problem, but they wouldn't kill anyone. Gangs make their money by leeching off of others. You can't do that if they're dead," she said, resuming to munch on the snack. She knew how business worked and, yes, she considered gangs to be a business. Not a legal or fair or even safe business, but there was the passing of money in exchange of 'protection'.

"We do," she added, "have the Equalists. They have something against benders. I don't get it, but it means something big to them." Airi sighed, looking at her half eaten plate of fried rice. "I accidently stumbled into some problem with them once. It was scary, but they were only chi blockers. I'm sure that they wouldn't kill anyone either," she said, knowing her naivitiy of the world around her. Just was an optimist and couldn't help it. Even if someone in those groups killed someone, she doubted the entire gang was in on it and they all had planned it out. Maybe that was how the world really was, or just the way she wanted to view it to feel safe.
This user is a former member
jiggyt35
Aug 7, 2012 17:52:22 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Aug 7, 2012 17:52:22 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It was an enormous relief to find out that what he had heard was completely false. It was nothing more than a tale strung together by the overactive imaginations of children, who dared each other to invent and improve upon the scariest stories they knew. One of the few things people are very good at is hyperbole and every time a tale is told it spirals further and further from fact. It was no surprise that the city had a gang problem, but Niko was just thankful that that 'problem' wasn't murder.

The whole duration of their conversation, Niko had been sinking deeper and deeper into his own thoughts, it was a lot to process: the gangs, the protection money, the extortion. He got a mental image of a giant, writhing elbow leech slithering through the streets of the Dragon Flats borough. An involuntary ".....ew" escaped his lips, but the mention of the Equalists brought his attention back to the surface. They didn't quite fit with his idea of gangs, the Equalists weren't leeches, they were people. "I always thought of them as more of a movement." he said trying not to sound like he was defending them. "I can't sympathize with them myself, but...." He was starting to sound to like he sided too heavily with these guys. Airi had said herself that they were scary, and people who only wanted to do good shouldn't be scary. He abandoned the idea of sympathy and muttered instead, "If they're trying to make Republic City a better place, then why do they need chi blockers anyway?"

It was all so confusing ...to say that the Equalists were bad......then again, nothing in politics is black and white. Niko just wanted to stop thinking of them all together. "Well!" he said trying to wave away all their words that still hung in the air, "I don't mean to brag, but all this talk doesn't suit such marvleous food!" He gathered a particularly large clump of rice and stuffed it quickly in his mouth, pretending that he hadn't just lost his appitite
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 9, 2012 10:00:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2012 10:00:55 GMT -6

"I've never figured that out, either," Airi replied with a pout and a hand on her hip. "I can only guess self defense. Maybe some people don't like what they're doing and try to stop them?" she offered. Like, if she thought nonbenders had the best of everyone, she would use her bending as a form of defense. She rarely used her bending for the offensive, which was unusual considering firebending was an offensive element. Air, from what she had learned, was almost always defensive and she guessed earth could be really defensive as well seeing as you could make a wall or something. But she could make a wall of fire if she concentrated hard enough!

She happily nodded when he returned her attention back to the food. "I agree," she said, munching on the food a bit more as she tried to think of another conversation for them to talk about while eating yummy food. Wait. He was a good cook! "You said that you and your mom are having trouble making ends meet, right?" she brought up. She remembered that she had previously thought she couldn't just give him money to help him, but that never meant he couldn't work for it! A bit of extra work would be great for business and not to be stingy but they wouldn't have to offer him much money. They only needed so much help that the family of four couldn't always do.

"Would you like to work at my family's bakery? We can't offer much, but it would be something compared to nothing," she said. "We cook bread, pasties and whatnot. Maybe my parents would have you clean or help prepare stuff, but it depends. Are you up to it?" It would also just be nice to have a friend around, someone she hadn't known for her entire life. She mostly did errand jobs when they were needed, so she would be out a lot, but she also worked inside when the errands were all done.
jiggyt35
Aug 11, 2012 19:52:13 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Aug 11, 2012 19:52:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
When he had first expressed his desire to start working it nearly drove his mother to tears. She had misinterpreted his eagerness, and it lead to another one of those long lectures that Niko despised about how it wasn't his responsibility to support them. These chats were often perforated with statements like "I'm the parent, not you!" and "You will never have to carry us, I will always provide for you". While these proclamations were very touching, they did little to appease him. Getting a job wasn't about the money, or the responsibility. To Niko, it was the prospect of waking up everyday and knowing that someone out there needs you. Just to know that someone is counting on you to make their day a little easier was satisfying.

Naturally, when Airi suggested he come work for them, it brightened his mood considerably! In such disbelief it was hard to piece together an actual sentence. "Me? Of course I.....This is ....wow!" He couldn't shake the smile that had spread across his face and the young man was practically quaking with excitement. "Are you kidding me? I....It would be an honor to work for your family's bakery! You're amazing, I really mean it." Niko wasn't quite sure why he was trying to flatter her, but it was the only thing he could think of to express his joy. "You're the best!"

Once he got started talking he couldn't stop: "Do you really think your parents will let me work for them? This is the greatest thing that has even happened to me! You know what? I can start tomorrow morning...no, I can start right now! You're the greatest!"
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 11, 2012 21:33:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 11, 2012 21:33:27 GMT -6

The color of her cheeks reddened by the second once Niko responded to her offer. In an instant, her back straightened, her lips pressed against the fronts of her teeth and her golden eyes widened. W-wow! Somehow this not only embarrassed the poor girl, but flattered her, that she could help someone like this. Her offer was only a simple gesture, and probably not even one she could keep up to! She was not the keeper of their profits and deficits with the business nor was she the owner (though she did aspire to be one day), so it was like her telling him she'd give him a cookie when she didn't know if she even had any that she could offer. What to do? What to do? If she went and asked her parents for such a favor and they refused, how could she break it to him after such a reaction?

But the look on his face was worth the insecurity of it all and the knot forming in her stomach, the happiness she could see beaming from the air around him. "Yeah! I mean, you managed to make me such a yummy snack with very little," she replied, her lips forming a smile when she saw his. The knot slowly began to loosen and she began to think she could manage the feat of getting him a simple, possibly low-paying job at the bakery. "Why would I kid?" she asked, confused, tilting her head to the side slightly and running her hand through the loose layer of her hair back and forth. She tried to imagine herself telling someone that she could get them a job, receiving a reaction like the one he gave her and then saying something along the lines of "HAHA, I got you! You should have seen the look on your face!" It was unimaginable! Why on earth would she do something like that?!

"Oh," she said, her hand stopping in it's awkward movement. "Thank you!" Airi rarely received praise like that. Well, she did receive praise, but rarely from strangers! Actually, that wasn't true either. It was mostly strangers who praised her. Wait, why was this confusing to her, again? Oh, but she had to tell him that it wasn't something she could assure him with udder confidence. "Uh, but you see, I'd have to ask first," she told him awkwardly with light, also awkward, laugh. Her posture finally relaxed and she managed to think clearly for a few moments, getting her thoughts in order.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would. There's only four of us in the family and we don't hire anyone else, so a bit of extra help would be great," she said with an odd smile and a finger scratching temple. "I don't think we could pay you hourly, but a certain wage a day for a few days of the week?" That was probably something her parents would offer. Again, they weren't cheap; it was just that they couldn't throw around money. Hiring someone hourly would be a big risk. "Here, uh, um..." She began to regret not having one of her daily notes as she wasn't able to remember the address of the bakery, but knew how to point it out on a map or show someone it directly instead.

Airi began to rearrange the leftover rice on her plate to look like the area of Republic City they were in. "You and I are right here," she told him, pointing to a clump of rice. "The bakery isn't too far; it's riggghhhhttt here," she said, using her utensils to trace her make-shift road of rice to the area the bakery was. "It's called 'Hitomi Bread and Goods'. If you can't find it, just ask around; we've been here long enough." And with that she stood up and set down the plate of food that was so graciously given to her. "I'll get everything sorted out. Come.... hm, two days from now," she said. With a bow, she said her good-byes, thanks and what ever else before leaving. Ah! What a day!