The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Through Downtown Republic City

ottoya
Jul 23, 2012 14:52:47 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 23, 2012 14:52:47 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Ottoya felt a pit in his stomach as the boy began to stutter, guilt. What had he done? By being so quick-tempered and arrogant, he had upset someone. This guy was just trying to be friendly, as he had voiced, and he had practically spat the good manners back in the Earth Kingdom teen's face. How much lower could he fall? This guy was hurt, emotionally, his face was red with either embarrassment or helplessness. The worst part was, Ottoya had been in the same situation; alone in the city, no one to turn to. The guy had reached out to the Waterbender, he had rejected that in an attempt to look big.

The teen in green uttered a pitiful "Goodbye..." and turned away. The darker skinned boy bit his lip, he felt shameful. What would his mother think of him if she had seen him turn away a polite stranger? No. He had to fix this, he had to apologize and set things straight. He was better than this, right?

Now it was Ottoya's turn to put a hand on the stranger's shoulder.
"Wait!" He called, almost desperately. He needed this guy to know he didn't mean it, he wasn't always this brash nor arrogant. It was just... If you were soft in a place like Republic City, you'd be eaten alive. That was what his Dad had said. When he arrived, it was one of the many things his Father had warned him about. He had made false promises, told him that he'd make friends really easily. It was all lies, he didn't know what it was like to grow up here, he had only been here for a decade. For him, growing up in the Fire Nation must have been a breeze. A time of peace. A time where everything was perfect. Ottoya envied that; things were too fast paced now.

He wondered if things had been the same if he had stayed in the South Pole. Would his life been as good? What future would he have there? He supposed he would have continued his studies on tribal history, yet that would only take him so far in life. His Waterbending was always in need of perfection, staying down South and becoming a Waterbending Master was a lifestyle choice, but he lacked ability, only a select few were that good. No, Ottoya needed this change, and he needed a friend. That's why he needed to apologize.

"You're right, I was out of order just now..." He admitted, his voice was hoarse yet deep, "I'm just a little jumpy with strangers..." Ottoya finished, forcing a smile to try and lighten the mood. He hoped the kid would forgive him, this apology was genuine, not out of sympathy but out of a need to be friendly, a need to amend his rotten attitude.

After a few seconds, the older of the two extended his hand in an offer of greeting. His palms were dark, but he hoped the gesture was welcoming nonetheless.
"My name is Ottoya, I'm from the Southern Water Tribe..."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2012 21:19:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2012 21:19:08 GMT -6

[Tag: Ottoya]

Who was this kid that thought it was okay to treat someone like this? Jing knew that you had to be tough in the city but it’s different when you actually need something. He thought people shouldn’t be afraid to admit when they were in need. Hiding behind machismo attitudes wouldn’t get anyone anywhere except either to the point of people looking stupid or crying. And, for Jing, today proved to lead him down the latter’s route. How many times was he going to have to wipe his eyes today?

The guilty party reappeared behind him. How dare he. His voice sounded desperate. A tone that Jing was very familiar with. Then, the guy started talking about how he was jumpy around strangers. And? It wasn’t like Jing had said anything to scare someone. It was actually a compliment. But Jing knew he wasn’t one to talk about lacking the ability to take a compliment. His own self-image issues were astronomical. Of all people, he should understand being desperation and social problems. To top that all off, his apology sounded legitimate. Could he really condemn this guy who sounded like he was actually regretting what he had done? Jing was not one to be unfair, so he gave him a chance.

He turned around to face this guy. By that time, his tears had stopped and dried for the most part. Jing’s eyes remained a bit bloodshot, though. He accepted the Water Tribe boy’s hand and shook it. His name was Ottoya. He was from the Southern Water Tribe. “Isn’t that where the Avatar is from?” was the first thing he said. Not a really sincere token of interest, but it’s what came to mind. To reciprocate his introduction, Jing said “Oh, I am Jing, an Earthbender from the Earth Kingdom. Pleased to meet you, Ottoya.”

“You should really try to not get so defensive when someone tries to talk to you. I know that it’s the city ‘n all, and that you need to be cautious, but caution never made anyone any friends. I would know.” Jing said with a half smile that had more of a sad look to it. This was not one of his better days. He quickly rubbed his eyes, then looked back at Ottoya and asked “Would you like to go somewhere and sit down? I’m kinda tired of standing and walking.” It was obvious that Jing wanted to continue this conversation, but he figured he would have to be the one to suggest it. He didn’t mind it though, he had a feeling that Ottoya was worth it.
This user is a former member
ottoya
Jul 24, 2012 16:39:42 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 24, 2012 16:39:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Ottoya still felt bad.The boy was telling him he was wrong to have been so aggressive, he didn't need to be told that, he already knew it. He felt bad and this kid wasn't making him feel any better. Caution never made anyone any friends. That was what the boy had said. He could relate, you had to be outgoing to get anywhere in life, he knew that, but this city would chew you up if you weren't careful. Didn't this guy know that? What would have happened if Ottoya had been a big muscly guy from some gang? Would he have felt bad? No, he probably would have tried to beat the kid up.

The guy introduced himself as Jing, he was an Earthbender and was as Ottoya had guessed, from the Earth Kingdom - That much was obvious. But it was good to meet an Earthbender; he had seen a few around town but Jing was the first he had talked to in his entire life. He wondered what it was like being able to bend the very ground they stood on.

He mentioned the Avatar. Most people did when he said he was from the South Pole. Each time he had explained that he never knew her, nor saw her, nor spoke to her. He only ever knew of her. She was constantly training her Firebending and her Earthbending, as well as improving her natural Waterbending. Ottoya guessed she wouldn't have had much time to chat with the locals. But she had moved to Republic City to learn Airbending, just as Ottoya had moved for something new. They were similar in that aspect. He avoided the topic with Jing.

The Earthbender asked if he wanted to go and sit down somewhere. It would appear that Ottoya was forgiven for his rude outburst. The teen folded his arms and nodded, straying across the road after waiting for cars to stop, and finding a relatively comfortable looking bench. He hated the city benches, nothing like a nice fuzzy seat back home, made of furs and full of warmth. He untied his winter coat that was tied around his waist and placed it on the bench, before sitting on it.

"I'm quite fiery for a Waterbender... You'll have to excuse my bad side..." He said, his eyes wandered upwards to the cloudy skies. He wondered if it would rain, and if so when? He liked rain, it was comforting to be around a lot of water. Here on the street there was pretty much no water, the nearest source was the river in the park or the harbor.
"But I'm usually a nice guy... It's just ever since I moved here, I've been on my own...." He explained carefully, still staring at one spot in the sky, one spec of blue midst the snow white clouds.

He turned to Jing at last, having avoided eye contact for a while.
"How long have you been in the city, you don't exactly look native..." He grinned, glancing up and down at his very green attire.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 24, 2012 21:47:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 24, 2012 21:47:00 GMT -6

It made Jing extremely happy to know that Ottoya wanted to converse with him. This guy seemed a bit too cool for him. But the fact that he was willing to go sit on a city bench with him made him understand that he meant it. Jing wondered what it was like to be from the Water Tribe, a place surrounded by cold and ice. Their tribal ways of living were in stark contrast with city life. He said he moved here recently, so this must have been somewhat of a tough adjustment for him. Jing knew about tough adjustments.

“It’s okay; I’ve got to toughen up if I want to make it here anyways.” Jing said in response to Ottoya, having meant it somewhat. Jing knew that if this were Ba Sing Se, he would not have began to tear up. Things were just.. different. Jing then laughed at Ottoya’s comment about him not looking native. It actually just occurred to him how much he stood out in his attire, then said “Yeah, that’s putting it nicely. I actually just moved here a few months ago.” Jing then leaned forward, putting his elbows on his knees and holding his head up with his hands. “I came here to escape my home life. It was becoming quite… stale.” Jing explained. Then with a sigh, he said jokingly “But then again, what would a cool Water Tribesman like yourself no about ‘stale’ living.” And then asked “While on this subject, what brought you to this city, Ottoya? A girl? Family? A job? Training?”

Generally speaking, Jing thought that Earthbenders had it the best. There was almost no situation where one could not bend. Before Toph, metal was the only thing that could stop them. But she then developed Metalbending, which is something only Earthbenders can do. Earth seemed the strongest of the four elements to Jing, and the best for a defense. He viewed Firebending as the only other powerful element because, well, it’s fire. Waterbending, however, perplexed Jing. It was too fluid. In his mind, it was only good for healing. He had yet to meet an powerful Waterbender. Maybe this guy was him; the powerful Waterbender that would clarify the element as a whole. He seemed to be profiecent, although he was right, he was fiery. Ottoya could easily be a Firebender. There might be a connection there.

“You wouldn’t happen to be part Firebnder would you? It would explain your fiery disposition.” Jing worried about saying that. He honestly wasn’t sure if this guy could lose it and just start attacking, or if he would be totally fine with that. Obviously, Jing’s clumsiness occasionally spilled over into his conversational skills.
ottoya
Jul 25, 2012 6:06:48 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 25, 2012 6:06:48 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Jing told him that he had only recently moved here a few months back. He had been here longer than Ottoya at least, who had arrived to weeks ago. The older of the two was still quite pensive in that he kept his eyes on the skies. He spotted a police zeppelin, his deep blue eyes followed it over a building. He wondered if the police ever needed to use the zeppelins, were the mafia ever violent enough for a massive raid to be initiated? All this extra security just seemed a little excessive. He tried to remind himself that it was all for his own safety, but he couldn't help but think that the Avatar's presence was bolstering police numbers.

"My parents thought it would be best if I moved here to live with my Father..." He explained, scuffing his boots along the pavement, "Things were getting a little stressful at the South Pole." Ottoya continued, but then left it at that; he didn't want to get into too much detail about his problems in the Southern Water Tribe. New starts meant he didn't have to think about stuff like that all the time - He could move on with his life.

Ottoya was surprised when Jing asked him if he was part-Firebender. It was like he had read him, understood him instantly. Then again, he had stated he was a fiery character, and he had inherited that from his Father. He grinned and looked down, this guy was good at reading people for sure, he was pretty smart for his age.
"My Mother is a Waterbender, but yes, my Father is a Firebender..." He didn't really want to go on and tell Jing about the biggest problem in his life; he had never really talked to anyone about it, but he supposed this guy deserved an explanation after all. He sighed and tried to look everywhere but at the Earthbender.
"He always said I'd be a fantastic Firebender, but when I turned seven and we found out I was a Waterbender, well he was disappointed for sure..." He recalled whilst remembering his Father teaching him the forms and stances at a young age, before anyone knew how he was going to turn out. He supposed that his family knew he'd be a Firebender because he inherited his Father's personality - Even if he did look very Water Tribe.

"I guess my body was ready to Firebend... But genetically I couldn't. My Waterbending form has always been... Aggressive... I can never get my stances right, my technique is usually off and I'm not very fluid..." He let out another sigh, it was hard to explain to an Earthbender, he hoped he could appreciate the stances element of bending, but fluidity was crucial for Waterbending, "I try to Firebend the Water, because it's all I know how to do - Don't get me wrong, I've got good power... It's just my control is poor... I guess I need to find a way to be aggressive and fluid..." He finished.

Waterbending was the opposite of Firebending, so growing up thinking he'd be a Firebender and having the attitude and build of a Firebender meant that learning Waterbending was twice as difficult. The Avatar had picked up Firebending so easily, mainly because of her hot-headed attitude. He wondered if she ever struggled with Waterbending.

"Dad always said I'd be a Firebending prodigy... That I'd grow up to be the best..." He added in, realizing how much he had said.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2012 20:41:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2012 20:41:18 GMT -6

As the two sat on the city bench, the Earthbender was focused on the street. All of it was his, in that he could bend it at any time. Even though this was true, Jing had not trained at all since he had arrived in the city. Then again, he hadn’t met any other Earthbenders yet either. He hoped he that he would meet one soon. But Jing admired the attitude of this Waterbender, he reminded him of some friends back in Ba Sing Se. There was an obvious edge to him, a certain roughness that he recognized. The recognition was not of someone else who had it, but himself. Jing used to have that edge. But this city dulled him and made him soft. Hopefully Ottoya wouldn’t notice his weakness.

Jing listened to the words that Ottoya said, about how he was actually part Fire Nation and part Water Tribe, and how his father raised him to be a Firebender, only to become a Waterbender. That would be heartbreaking, but Jing could only imagine. He was born to a family of solely Earth Kingdom people, with an Earthbending line on his mother’s side. It was not something Jing saw very often at home, “it” being mixed race couples and children. But, being that Republic City is as modern as it was, it made sense for there to be so many.

“For what it is worth,” Jing started, turning to look Ottoya in the eyes, “I agree with your father. You would make a fantastic Firebender.” Knowing how this might hurt him, having heard what Ottoya had just explained, he added “But.. I hardly think that will make you less of a Waterbender. If anything, you have an edge.” Jing then elaborated, “Your bending has the power and ferocity of fire, while the cool rush and flow of water. It will only take time, you see, until you have mastered your element.” The true intention of his words was to comfort the Waterbender. Jing felt much empathy for the boy, and knew that what he was going through must be difficult. Whilst he did say these things to improve the fellow’s mood, he also believed every word. To emphasize his honesty, he placed his hand on the man’s knee.

“I also doubt that you are half as bad at your bending as you say you are.”, by this time Jing had removed his hand and sat up, leaning against the arm rest on his side of the bench. “You’ll have to demonstrate for me sometime your abilities.” This was said with a smile, looking back at Ottoya directly. Jing wanted to demonstrate his sincerity to this man. How else was he to develop any sort of relationship with another person there?
ottoya
Jul 26, 2012 15:52:49 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 26, 2012 15:52:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag;Jing]

Jing didn't understand, he didn't feel what Ottoya felt. Whilst what he said was true - Having the mentality of a Firebender did have it's positives in Waterbending in that he was more vicious with his attacks, it did have it's drawbacks. Like Jing said, Water needed to flow - He couldn't do that when he was so focused on his rage, his inner fire. It was part of the reason to why he couldn't freeze water, nor would it be wise to use healing. He was just too brutal.

Yet he agreed that it would be good to give each other a demonstration of their abilities at some point. He had never seen an Earthbender up close, it was so alien to him. Maybe Jing could teach him a thing or two about stances, Earthbending was from what he understood a very stable art. You had to be the rock to move the rock, or something like that. Ottoya couldn't imagine himself trying to be the water, it'd just be stupid. Still, he figured some of the stances could help him relax a little and be a tad more controlling with his Bending.

"I think we could learn a thing or two from each other..." He smiled. He supposed he could teach Jing some Firebending techniques he had adopted into his Waterbending. Maybe they'd work for Earthbending too? They consisted mainly of punches, something not really done for Waterbending, but it was likely that Jing already used his fists a lot for his attacks.

Ottoya wasn't just talking about learning Bending from each other, they could learn about how to adapt to City life. They were both pretty new, they could catch a Pro-Bending match some time or grab some Noodles. The Water Tribe boy did like Noodles, he'd developed somewhat a craving for oriental food, back home he just ate seal or broth.

He supposed he liked Jing. He thought him a little punk to begin with, but that was just Ottoya's brash, overly cautious persona shining through. Now he saw him as someone he could relate to - Someone as new to Republic City as him. Whilst they weren't exactly alike in terms of personality, he wanted to be friends with the guy, because quite frankly, he had no one else. He didn't know what to say or suggest other than,
"We should definitely hang out in the future..."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2012 22:15:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 26, 2012 22:15:09 GMT -6

Maybe this guy was right. Jing did need some practice with his bending, and maybe he could provide a little guidance for Ottoya and his stances. Besides, it wasn't like he had many plans during the week. They could just meet up at some place in the city with both water and earth and just have at it. It would be a good de-stresser for Jing, who spent much of his day dealing with ungrateful customers who thought they knew what they were talking about.

Maybe we could meet up sometime in the week and just.. bend.” There were, of course, many more benefits than just practice bending. He would have a friend to talk to. Someone to trust somewhat. Someone who would listen. Jing had his boss, Mr. Songho, but he didn't feel like he should intrude on him and his family's time together. Besides, what eighteen year old wants to hang out with an old guy? Ottoya was the obvious choice of the two.

The conversation seemed to die down. Jing was at a loss for words, primarily because they had just met. “Or.. we could go right now?” He didn't like wasting his time off. It was so rare. “Or we could do anything, really. I'm game for anything. Unless you have to go..” Jing wasn't sure how to take Ottoya suggesting they should “hang out sometime”. Why couldn't they do it right now? It wasn't like either was on the clock. But who knows what Ottoya might have had to do. Not everyone lived like Jing did.

There seemed to be some sort of slight bond that Jing had developed towards Ottoya. It was unspoken, but it was somewhat of an understanding of mutual suffering in the city. And having that struggle in common seemed it would make the other things not matter in the future, if any further differences arose. Even though this guy might have come off as a brute in the beginning, it appeared as if he had cooled down now, and was not nearly as gruff as he would like other people to believe. Ottoya was just as lost as he was, and it was apparent in his face.

Jing was good at reading people. He enjoyed the challenge of knowing a person before knowing them. He thought he had some sort of a grasp on who Ottoya was now, but he couldn't be sure until he went further. Jing would just have to wait and see how this Waterbender wanted to handle him, if he was to be friend or not.
ottoya
Jul 27, 2012 11:45:18 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 27, 2012 11:45:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Right now? Jing wanted to go right now? He must have been eager to see him Waterbend, or to learn some techniques. In all fairness, Ottoya was just as keen, but he had some patience at least. He supposed he wasn't doing anything within the next few hours, he was going to listen to the Pro-Bending match on the radio tonight, but that wasn't for four or five hours. He had time to kill, this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to do just that.

"Alright..." He agreed, his hands finding their way into his pockets. Where could they go? Somewhere with both Water and Earth. Well, Earth was pretty much everywhere. He guessed that Jing wasn't a Metalbender, he looked too Ba Sing Se for that. So it would need to be some kind of cliff, or an embankment by the river. That'd work. The park too sounded like a good idea, but he didn't really know if Bending was allowed to be practiced there, it'd be like loitering. It'd put people off.

"Know anywhere suitable for Earthbending and Waterbending?" The darker skinned boy asked, he brushed back his bedraggled hair so he could see through both eyes and not just the one. He really needed a hairband of some kind, the mop of hair was getting too long. That or some scissors. His tone was natural, not sarcastic. He wanted Jing to decide, take the responsibility off his shoulders. He had suggested it, but it was Jing who wanted to Bend right this instant.

He stood up from the roadside bench, glancing both ways at the streets. Lots of cars and lots of people. It occurred to Ottoya that he didn't know this part of town; Jing had led him to a bench further Downtown than he had been before. He had an urge to explore, find out what kinds of shops and stools were down in the unknown. He knew Downtown was a grubby, slimy part of the City that probably contained people with the same traits, but it didn't scare him. His curiosity was too great for that. He didn't get curious often, but when he did it was usually unstoppable.

"Let's go this way..."

And into the unknown.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 28, 2012 21:20:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 28, 2012 21:20:30 GMT -6

Frankly, Jing had no idea where to go. He didn't know the city. Like, at all. He had no idea where they should go. In all honesty, he had hoped Ottoya would suggest they do something else instead. But since Ottoya went along with it, he figured they might as well go bend for a bit. But Jing had only been to the docks to be at the market, which wasn't really a good area to practice bending. “No, not really.” Jing laughed a little, more to deflect his not knowing where they were to go.

Then, after Ottoya had risen, he had begun to look further into the area they were in. Jing knew his way around, relatively speaking, but that was just in the few block radius of his apartment. They had left that radius a bit ago. Now, Ottoya wanted to go further out into the unkown. Should they? What would they find? Would they be safe? It wasn't as if Jing actually worried about these questions, but they did surface in his mind. He wasn't worried then, he just wanted to do something with this guy. And if Ottoya wanted to do lurking in this void of the unknown, then so did Jing. “It's better than nothing, let's go.” He followed the Waterbender.

This was not what Jing had hoped for. What he had hoped for was some short pathway that spewed them into a bustling, open area of the city. What they found was something that you wouldn't take the family to for a fun Saturday out. There appeared to be many gangs and gangsters loitering in small crowds as vendors shouted about their goods which, most likely, weren't actual "goods" at all. It seemed like nothing was on the up-and-up. It sort of frightened Jing. He may have lived in a neighborhood that was seedy, but he tried his hardest to spend as little time as possible there. Now he came face-to-face with what he was trying to miss out on.

As they progressed, they saw a multitude of different people who didn't seem to have the purest of intentions. There appeared to be gambling and muggings going on all around, with a few doors leading to back-door bars. They should have turned around. “Maybe this isn't where we should be, Ottoya.” Jing said this with the tiniest voice he could, so as not to let any of the people on this street hear his words. The eyes of these people looked caniving, like they were plotting our murders as we walked. Jing wondered if Ottoya was seeing what he was, although he probably wasn't as frightened as he was. Jing began to walk more closely with his friend; who knows what was gonna jump out and bite them?
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 28, 2012 21:26:09 GMT -6
ottoya
Jul 29, 2012 15:58:28 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 29, 2012 15:58:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

The Waterbender was not put off by the darkening scenery around him. The dodgy dealers and unforgiving faces were mostly ignored by the short attention-spanned teenager, who was busy looking for a water source. So far he had no luck. The light above them was blocked by a cloud, almost symbolizing that they were in a darker place. This seemed to go over Ottoya's head, he was far to occupied in his quest to show Jing his bending, thus he needed rocks and water. He liked exploring, he liked new things, this section of Republic City was indeed more dangerous than most, but he liked that. Besides, people wouldn't mess with an Earthbender and a Waterbender, right? Especially if they were showing off their talents - People would think twice before getting on the wrong side of Ottoya and Jing.

Maybe he was getting overconfident.

After passing some begrudging vendors selling meat that didn't look edible, the teen paused. Jing was just beside him, he looked nervous and commented that they were in the wrong place.
"Relax, we'll find a good spot..." The Water Tribe boy ushered, pressing onwards into the unknown. This was exactly what his father had warned him about; not paying attention. Yet Ottoya had been one to not pay attention from a young age - Why stop now?

The teenager stepped in a puddle, his face lit up initially, but he was then disheartened by the size of the puddle, too small to do anything with. There had to be water nearby, right? It was easy for Jing, there was Earth everywhere. But... Hadn't that been what his Waterbending Master had taught him? He hadn't been paying attention. It was something like that there was Water in everything, for life needed Water. He hadn't been listening, nor practicing... He had heard of people extracting water from thin air, but Ottoya had never been good at temperature work, hence his disability to make Ice. He doubted he could condensate either.

He kept walking, Jing somewhere beside or behind him. He needed to keep up, wouldn't want to get lost in these parts. Suddenly a blur, something in front of him. Ottoya tensed up, but then relaxed once he saw the tiny creature, some kind of monkeyrat... It lapped up the water in the puddle beside him. It seemed cute, the teen wondered if it could lead them to water, wild animals had to drink right? But who said it was wild? Ottoya pondered, kneeling down next to the creature.
"Hey there little guy-" The creature panicked before he could finish, it let out short, sharp cries that caught the attention of people nearby.

Four or five large guys moved in their direction, not the sort of guys who looked like they would help two lost teenagers either. They were meat-headed, angry sort of people, short-tempered types by the look of it. They folded their arms, advancing still. Outnumbered by guys who could more than likely Outbend them... Fighting was not an option, besides the fact that there was no water nearby.
"We should get out of here, Jing..." He muttered under his breath, tugging at the sleeve of the Earthbender.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 29, 2012 20:56:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 29, 2012 20:56:34 GMT -6

As the pair were walking, they came along what appeared to be a monkeyrat. Animals were cute to Jing, so normally this wouldn't upset him, but in this area he became quite unsettled about this creature. Even though Jing was screaming in his head for Ottoya to not make contact with it, he did. The animal started screaming, causing Jing to jolt backwards in surprise. Things were not looking very good.

Suddenly, all the people who seemed to be lurking in the shadows stopped lurking. They began to slowly walk towards the two, or at least the large ones did. Jing was in too big of a rush to count but he knew they were outnumbered. His eyes widened, and as Ottoya suggested they get out of this place, Jing took the initiative. “You go, I'll cover you from behind.” He raised his hands in the classic grasshoper stance, and motioned his head to tell Ottoya to start running. Jing tried his best to stare these guys down, and size them up. Two of them were much wider than the others, the rest were medium. All of them seemed strong and intent on doing some damage. There was still an opening that they could get out of, but if they didn't act quickly it would be gone.

Jing stomped hard on the ground, locked his arms in a circle and raised them up, creating a rock wall that blocked the group. “It won't hold very long, we have got to get going.” If they wanted this to keep from escalating, they needed to start moving. Now.
ottoya
Jul 30, 2012 13:46:26 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 30, 2012 13:46:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Ottoya was surprised to see his fellow teenager take up a fighting stance. He thought Jing was more of a run away type. He opted for a mantis stance, looping his arms and lifting to create a curved wall in front of them. The Waterbender's eyes turned to wonder, his jaw dropped. He had never seen Earthbending this close up, and of this magnitude too. The wall was solid earth, unlike anything he'd ever seen before. Judging by the thickness of it, the thugs would have to be Earthbenders to get through, but Jing said it wouldn't last long. Maybe it wasn't as solid as it looked?

"Yeah, no arguing there..." The teenager agreed, and proceeded to break into a run. Back to the market was the goal, but with these guys hot on their tails, it was going to seem like a longer journey than before. Something then caught Ottoya's leg, making him tumble over into the dirt.
"Agh!" The thing was screaching and clawing. He pushed himself to his feet again, but the thing caught him a second time. He hit the dirt again.
"Ratmonkey! Monkeyrat!" Ottoya yelled, shaking his leg. Boy could he do with some water right now.

Being face down in the dirt was bad, especially now that the guys had found a way through the wall, or around it somehow, probably a detour would lead them further forwards. They needed another diversion, he guessed that Jing could pop up another one of those walls, but judging by the now visible hole in Jing's wall, one of these guys could Earthbend, or just had fists of steel.

Ottoya kicked the Monkeyrat off his leg and pushed himself to his feet. They had lost ground, but the Waterbender caught up with his comrade pretty quickly. With the guys hot on their tails, they needed to pick up the pace.
"I think one's an Earthbender!" Ottoya said, feeling quite powerless at this stage. This was confirmed a few seconds later, when several boulders flew in their direction.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 30, 2012 18:30:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 30, 2012 18:30:01 GMT -6

This was probably the worst time to run into these thugs. Of all places, where only Jing could bend. How powerless Ottoya must have felt. All he could do was pray we came across a fountain. Sadly, Jing hadn't practiced lately so his efforts wouldn't be as strong as they should be. He could make just about anything a very proficient Earthbender could, just not nearly as strong as they could. Although, that was mainly with defensive structures. He had used more offensive forms here and there, so those were up to par with most. Jing just wondered if that would be enough for these guys.

Jing followed Ottoya, but kept looking back to monitor the thugs. These two were quite limber and nimble, managing to get fair distance between themselves and the men, at least until Ottoya tripped and was caught by a monkeyrat. Jing stopped after he realized what happened, although he was a bit further from the men now than Ottoya.“Why do these things hate you so much!?” Jing got into his fighting stance while waiting for Ottoya as he struggled, prepared to push them back in case he was down for too long.

Ottoya got to his feet fairly quickly, and the two began to run again. This was not going to go well, considering their distance from the outlet to the market. After nearly being hit by a flying boulder, Jing stopped and turned to face the thugs. He yelled, “Just keep going and find some water to bend, I'll hold them off and try to run when I can!” As he said this, he slid his left foot forward and moved his hands outwards from each other, causing a small riff in the ground in front of him. He then brought up his hands, causing jagged shards of earth to poke up from the ground, creating somewhat of a short fence to slow the men. Then, Jing turned to the left, turning his head to face the on-comers. Stomping his right foot, he pushed his right hand towards the ground, and slung his left arm straight over his head, making somewhat of a Earth-slingshot over the fence. He did this a few times, but this could only stop a few of the men. The one which was an Earthbender kept coming forward.

By this time, Jing began praying Ottoya had made it to some sort of water.
ottoya
Jul 31, 2012 17:04:13 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Jul 31, 2012 17:04:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

"I'm not good with animals!" Ottoya agreed as Jing called for him to go and look for some water whilst he fended off the group of thugs. The Waterbender wasn't sure about this, they should just keep running. Even if Ottoya could find water, it wouldn't guarantee that he could cause enough of a commotion to get away, nor enough to fight back. They were outnumbered and probably outclassed, that Earthbender was no doubt more advanced than Jing. With age came strength when it came to Bending.

Their best option was to keep at what they were doing. Ottoya figured that these guys wouldn't just chase them for no reason other than that they were in their turf, plus were potential mugging targets. The Water Tribe boy had no money on him, yet these guys were oddly persistent. Maybe they were just annoyed that two teenagers had actually built up the guts to fight back. Either way, it did not bode well for the duo.

The dark skinned boy had an aptitude for getting into trouble. Even back in the South Pole, where there was little trouble to get into at all, he found a way. This was mostly down to boredom, because he had nothing else to occupy himself with. Now? Now it was because he had made a bad move in going in this direction. If only he had kept a level head and not rushed off without thinking to where they were going. He had put not only himself, but Jing - A guy he barely knew - In direct danger.

Water. He had to find water. Why was there no water around? There had been that puddle, but it was so very small. It had to have come from somewhere, right? All water came from somewhere, it didn't 't just appear. The teenager kept running without looking behind him. He could hear Jing, he guessed he was probably doing some more Earthbending to slow the guys down. He wished that his comrade would just run, fighting was not an option, especially with another Earthbender against them.

"Just run, Jing..." The Southern Water Tribe boy called back, having no luck finding water. He was almost at the edge of Downtown, nearing the market. He was on his own, Jing was not behind him. He waited for a few seconds, before charging back towards the fray.
"Jing! Let's go!" Repeated the teenager, feeling utterly powerless.This was a guy who he had been brash and rude too, shrugged off as a nobody. Now, five minutes later he was pleading for him to run for his safety. A lot had happened in a short space of time.

Maybe today wasn't the best day to practice Bending.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 31, 2012 21:50:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 31, 2012 21:50:35 GMT -6

Fine kettle of fish for these two, no?

All of this commotion had just gotten Jing too hyped up. He wanted to fight, even if he would lose. What made it worse was the fact that he stood alone, essentially. A Waterbender without water does not make much a bender at all. How had this even happened?

Ottoya was, evidently, not able to find any water. This left Jing to stand against a much more skilled Earthbender, who had just survived a boulder storm, and his fallen comrades that were now getting back up. The Water Tribe boy kept calling for him to come back, seeing as he had given up the search for water. Jing was forced to retreat. “Ugh!” Jing shouted, then broke his stance and began to run to Ottoya. There was a lot of shame in retreating, but he'd rather have shame and his life then neither. As he closed in on Ottoya, he said “Come on!” and kept running past him, hoping he was following suit. When he reached the outlet to the market, he turned the corner and held his cover.

He didn't want to look back. This guy put up a tough front, but he was all talk! When it came to standing and fighting back, Ottoya wouldn't. The fact that he lacked anything to bend was a part of the problem, yes, but Jing would have not stopped until he had found a source. And that brings up the question: Why doesn't this Waterbender had a water skin? Maybe today he just wasn't prepared for any situation that would need one. Jing might have been being too harsh, but he was flustered. Jingslid his head towards the corner of the building he was hiding behind and yelled “Are you alright!?”, without actually looking. From the sounds of it, the Earthbender thug was having a blast.

It seemed as if they probably should have just gone to a restaurant and hung out. Being adventurous was obviously not what they were meant to do. Hopefully, if Ottoya was okay, he would come out soon. The action occurring in the alley seemed to be garnering a small bit of attention from by-standers. The last thing they needed was a crowd to get through.
ottoya
Aug 2, 2012 17:18:42 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Aug 2, 2012 17:18:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

As Jing madly dashed past him, the Water Tribe boy could do nothing except follow. He felt utterly powerless, as Jing had done all the hard work and bending. What was more, he had put the Earthbender in unnecessary danger, all because he was curious to explore and eager to Bend. Had he kept more of a level head, things would have gone more smoothly... But Ottoya was anything but level headed.

He was impressed by the Boy from the Earth Kingdom, his abilities were solid, even to someone who had never seen Earthbending up close - The teenager from the South could just tell. The way the thugs struggled to advance was evidence enough. The feeling of helplessness still tugged at Ottoya from the inside. The lack of water was a problem, and he had never really been prepared enough to equip himself with a water skin. In the past, water had always been available, whilst here in the city, it wasn't everywhere.

"I'm sorry... I got careless and put us in danger..."
Panted the dark skinned boy as he turned the corner into the alleyway. He slumped into a sitting position and clutched his legs to his chest. His mop of black/brown hair curtained over his face in a wragged manner, his icy blue eyes stabbed through, full of quiet rage. He had messed up, once again Ottoya had been too unfocused and had leaped before looking.

"That would have ended a lot sooner had I gotten some water... Ottoya said cockily, a smirk brewed on his exhausted face, "You were incredible... I've never seen Earthbending like that... Or at all!! He forced a tired laugh, but was genuine in his praise for his fellow teenager.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2012 17:57:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2012 17:57:27 GMT -6

What a relief. They were both okay, and, for the moment, the goons were off their tail. The boy who created this whole problem was now a panting, tired mess slumped beside a wall. He uttered an apology for the mess he caused, which wasn't entirely true. He had led them down this path that eventually caused them to be in a massive amount of danger, but if Jing hadn't been so naive and trusting, he would have spoken up and expressed some concerns about this route. “It's not really all your fault.”, Jing sighed and panted for a bit, “I shouldn't have blindly followed like I did. Don't worry about it.”

In all honesty, Jing did get the chance that he hoped for. He finally got to Earthbend properly. He used his stances, did the moves almost completely correctly, and connected with the earth as every Earthbender strives to do. As he was standing against the wall of the alley, his hands were on his knees and he was slightly bent forward. He smiled through the few beads of sweat that rolled down the side of his face. Jing was proud of himself.

Ottoya then said the battle would have ended sooner had he had some water, and then complemented Jing's bending. Jing wondered if that was really true, but wasn't going to question his abilities. Jing then laughed, and said “Yeah, you're probably right. You should carry a water skin, pal. It'd be helpful.” Then, wiping his brow of his sweat, he accepted the compliment he was given, “Thank you.” He smiled, “It's been awhile, but I guess grandpa was a good teacher.”

Thoughts of his grandfather passed through his head, but quickly dissipated as the gravity of their situation set in. They were not completely out of the woods yet. Jing then knelt down to feel the earth and see if he could detect anyone near them. “Hmm..” as he felt about, nothing came up on his detections. “We might need to get moving, I don't think we're completely free yet.” Jing stood up straight and began to walk down the alley, then turned and looked at the slump of a boy still sitting, “Are you ready? Let's get out of here.” He smiled at the boy, hoping to display his sincerity towards this newly found friend.
ottoya
Aug 5, 2012 17:32:13 GMT -6

Post by ottoya on Aug 5, 2012 17:32:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

[Tag; Jing]

Ottoya thought hard about what Jing had said about investing in a water skin. Now that he was in the city, he couldn't just get water whenever he wanted. Republic City was not made of ice and snow, nor did it have random breaks of water every few hundred meters. He would need to be more prepared for the future, thus a water skin would probably be a worthwhile purchase... Regardless of Ottoya's 'use your surroundings' style.

The teen nodded and followed Jing, who he grew closer to as each second passed. His respect for the Earthbender had shot up following the boy's impressive bout of thug-blocking. Without Jing, the Water Tribe boy would have been in serious trouble. He felt the need to thank Jing again and again, but hadn't they accomplished what they had intended to do? Bend? Ottoya didn't get the chance himself to Bend, nor was he too observant of Jing's stances, but he did see some awesome Earthbending first hand!

"I'm ready," Confirmed the dark skinned, skinny teenager, following his friend out from their makeshift cover. The thugs were luckily elsewhere, thus Ottoya was able to follow Jing to what was probably safety. He panted hard, having become quite unfit since moving north from his tribe. City life was less demanding, and he bet that Jing was a lot fitter than him.

"Let's not do that again..." Smiled Ottoya as he passed the bench that they had sat on. A strange fifteen minutes it had been. He wanted the opportunity to show Jing some Waterbending, but his luck was terrible this day and Water was seemingly nowhere. A water skin was definitely a good investment for the future.
This user is a guest