The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Apartments & Warehouses

Anonymous
May 25, 2012 20:03:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 20:03:40 GMT -6

Abandoned Garage Shop

A bust. An actual real bust that wasn't a mugger or a vagrant sleeping on the street. Hangetsu was so overjoyed that it didn't even matter that he couldn't take any credit for it.
"While you contact your co-workers I'll work on cuffing these guys."

After dragging each of the unconscious men into a circle around the one partially crushed one Hangetsu managed to bend just enough of the lighted crystal rock to make enough hand cuffs each thief to the other. He reversed the position of the criminals so that one's arm was cuffed to the other's leg. Unless they each stood in unison, with perfect balance and balletic grace they weren't going anywhere. When he looked down at them he thought they looked as if they were land-locked synchronized swimmers. The image of that thought amused him greatly.

The perps were cuffed, evidence was present, there was a witness. Aside from an arresting officer it was perfect but Hangetsu had no intention of risking his job for a bit of glory. Someone else could have the collar.
With that thought the officer found another piece of the puzzle of what kind of cop Hangetsu Tsukishima was. One who preferred to keep his job over accolades but one willing to bend the rules to satisfy a moral justice, that or he was simply a sucker for kids. Once his new duties as a metal bender started he hoped to further discover what kind of officer of the law he was.

He entered the elevator to the top and realized that he never had any instruction regarding getting out of giant, under gound fish tanks. There was a switch on the upper floor but the officer found himself too busy fighting for his life to consider how they got the elevator back up.

Closing his eyes and hanging his head to sigh made Hangetsu forget about the sharp pain in his feet and allowed his mind to rest for a moment. That was when he felt the metal around him. The trucks, pallet jacks for loading and unloading the merchandise and the metal mechanism inherent in the pulley stystem for the elevator.

As much as it hurt he knew that he'd have to take off his shoes to get a better feel for the metal around them. At the first wave of pain the feeling of the metal in the room disappeared, but once it subsided the metal came back en masse. Along with the metal he felt before, more things stood out, the most intricate of which was a second switch and what it connected to.
Once he stepped on it there was a panic-inducing sound of gears and was surprised to find just how the trucks were driven out of the giant aquarium they had descended into.
This user is a former member
kaitokatashi
May 25, 2012 21:52:36 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on May 25, 2012 21:52:36 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The Fox's Den, Southwest District

She waited until he was done speaking and, from how he'd sounded after she asked him to join, letting everything settle in. She'd managed to diffuse him with her offer, and she stepped around the table to his feet.

"Perhaps we should start with introductions. I'm the Black Fox, leader of this little motley crew. We run the streets here in the district, and as far as you go, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. We like to keep our streets clean." She crossed her arm. "You asked me what you'd get out of it. Well, if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you'll always have a place to go and money when you need it. You'll have our protection, and there's only one rule: I never do anything that doesn't benefit all of us, and you answer to me." She stepped over to his side. "So, what do you say? You in?"

((Sorry for the shortness))
This user is a guest
kgal
May 26, 2012 9:20:20 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 26, 2012 9:20:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand

Yuriko stood outside, trying not to let people see the sweat beating on her forehead. There was a fan on the ceiling of the open room behind her, but it really just pushed the warm air around. She knew at 3 her father would come to relieve her, but that was still hours away, and it was still getting warmer. Her curls were starting to droop a bit, and even though her dress had short sleeves, she had to wear a slip underneath today, and her light blue apron added a third layer in the late summer heat.

She sighed, trying to hide her discomfort, and smiled as a businessman walked by. "Would you like to buy some flowers today, sir? One yuan for one, five for half a dozen! We currently have a special on…" but the man just gave her an apologetic smile and went on his way. "Have a nice day!" she called after him anyways.

A group of boys, sly-looking, had been watching her in the shade of a roof across the street. One of them came up a few minutes ago to ask the price before darting across the pavement to rejoin his friends. Now, they sent a second boy swaggering up. He looked as if he thought he was too cool for the people around him. "Would you like to buy some flowers today, sir?" she asked courteously.

The boy smirked, glancing back at his friends for support. "Uh, yeah, just gimme like 10 of those little, uh, yellow flowers." She didn't like the way he was grinning with his hands shoved in his pockets, but she smiled nicely at him and pulled up a dozen of the tulips he was referring to. "That'll be 10 yuan, sir," Yuriko said with a grin.

"Aww, man," the boy said, rifling his pockets. "I think I left my wallet at home. I have three, is that okay?" The boy reached for the bouquet in her hands and made to take them from her. Out of shock, she froze. "Um... I don't think..." she stammered.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kgal: May 26, 2012 9:22:42 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 9:50:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 9:50:33 GMT -6

KIBIHANA'S FLOWER STAND

For most people a day off meant not working and perhaps lounging around home or catching a bending match. For Mugen Yuan it meant a day without pretense. Exuding an aire of empathy and friendliness was an exhausting job. No pretending to be be nice to earn trust or punishing people for betraying his. He just wanted to find a quiet place to read.

In spite of the heat Mugen wore a blue and gray pin-striped suit and wore his hair slicked back instead of boyishly unkempt. He was sure he still looked harmless but perhaps less like the type that people would be compelled to hug and muss his hair. People had no sense of propriety.
As if to further illustrate this, a young boy ran into him, knocking him over trying to snatch a bouquet of flowers. It embarrassed him that he was once such a low class criminal.

Mugen sighed as he reached up and held the boy by one of his wrists the put the put the thief in an arm lock.
"Would you like me to break his arms?" he asked with a somewhat bored and annoyed tone.
kgal
May 26, 2012 10:45:03 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 26, 2012 10:45:03 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand

Yuriko let out a squeal when a passerby snatched the wrist of one of the boys from across the street, who had darted over to help his friend. The boy who was to pay scampered off, narrowly avoiding a rumbling car as it passed. The man offered her a question, sounding incredibly bored. He had sleek hair and a suit on - he was probably quite rich. But most higher-class citizens wouldn't stop a thief in his tracks... or hold them in arm locks. The little boy howled as he struggled.

She shook her head and waved her hands before her frantically, making the tulips waggle in her grip. "No, no!" she protested. "That won't be necessary!" She didn't know if the man was threatening her or just being a kind soul or what, but the absolute apathy he had in causing the little boy a bit of pain was incredibly unsettling. Still, she liked not being stolen from.

"Um, you aren't going to break my arms, either, right?" she asked timidly. When she raised her eyes to his, however, she was shocked by his vivid blue eyes. From his suit to his hair to his eyes, she suddenly had the strange sensation of recognizing someone. Blue eyes sometimes meant waterbenders...

Her mouth dropped in surprise and she covered it with her free hand quickly. That's right! "Aren't you one of the White Falls Wolf Bats?" she asked with more surprise than excitement. Still, the man looked less-than friendly, which she guessed was understandable given he was probably pestered by fans all the time. "I don't remember your name, but sometimes Mom listens to pro-bending matches..." No wonder he had saved her. He was probably a decent, charitable guy!
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 10:56:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 10:56:53 GMT -6

*Abandoned Garage Shop*

None of these guys were in a state to tell Lykka where she could find a phone. And the more she looked at this place, the more it felt like there was no communication device down in this underground whatsoever.... Or at least that was until she looked up at the hole she made in the ceiling and noticed a line going running along it. She wandered into the room a little, still looking at the ceiling and expecting to find some sign. There had to be a hidden phone, since illegal business was being done here.

Her hunch led her straight to the elevator platform they had come from. It was both inconspicuously set onto one of the supporting poles, and also in plain sight: there was a compartment concealed by a hatch with the word "Call". For some reason, it felt both misleading and revealing.

So, after she had a short conversation with her driver Tao, Lykka walked back to the trucks with a cheerful smile on her face. He had conveniently decided that he couldn't just let her leave without knowing that she'd be okay, and followed the pair's general heading. In a nutshell, he was only a few minutes away from their location by taxi - it had amused her to think about how he had to be feeling, not being the one driving the vehicle he was in.

She came back just in time to see Hangetsu stepping on another switch, and activating a rather loud sounding large mechanism. At first it seemed to be coming from absolutely everywhere around the room, but then the gear sound became one of water flowing rather rapidly. The Earthbender girl's fear of deep water suddenly took over, and she literally hopped onto the hood of the truck like it was her lifeboat. The water sound subsided, and the piece of glass-wall behind her, the one she'd stuck a crystal into, began lowering inwards.

What was behind... well for starters, the scent of moisture. Lykka lifted her head from the safety of the truck, and could see the entrance to some kind of sewer-looking tunnel. There was no light inside the tunnel itself, but one could see the light coming from the other end of the tunnel. Just the sight of it put aside all her fears and instead struck her with a huge amount of curiosity. They layout of this garage was definitely more than particular, and it got her thinking that those Monsoon guys were... quite smart. She would definitely have to come back here and study the place.

But that was for another time. She went into the back of her truck and proceeded with unloading the "evidence". The cops might take a while to find the place, but there were two trucks to move as soon as Tao got there. And since the whole secret side of what had happened involved the stolen load, it would be better not to leave with it. Once that was done, she sat in the driver's seat and waited. She would have talked with Hangetsu to pass the time, but at the moment her mind was racing with all sorts of guesses on how this garage had been built.

It didn't take very long for Tao to arrive anyway. She heard steps coming from the tunnel they'd just discovered, and then the driver revealed himself out of the darkness. And fortunately, he didn't take long to adapt to the situation explained on the phone. "The police are almost on top of us. That tunnel leads to a ramp in the parking lot right next to the garage, so if we can drive the trucks there before they drop into the place, we'll be safe." was the first thing he said. Lykka had a smile on her face that was still expecting some sort of "Hey, are you hurt ? Did anything bad happen ?" along with some hug or slap on the shoulder, but it seemed that asking on the phone had been enough.

The next two minutes involved some very careful and perfect timing. Tao had driven the first truck out and parked in the parking lot right at the moment the police came in view of the garage. The second truck was out at the exact moment the airship stopped over the house and metalbenders dropped in. "Wow, that was close !" Lykka said with a sigh of relief "We can finally let the law do its thing." Tao looked at the little girl, then nodded towards Hangetsu. It seemed it was time for goodbyes. So she got out of the truck and walked towards the young man, holding her hands behind her back and looking at her feet like a shy little girl. "Well... this was fun. I hope it doesn't happen again, though." She told him with a weak smile "...Except the metalbending cable ride, that we should definitely do again !! Once a week ! Twice a week ! We should do races !"

She scratched her head a little, trying to calm down about this thing. She liked to think she'd made a friend in the police, so she extended her hand. "I guess we'll see each other around soon ? You know where to find me if..." Nothing came to her mind on how to finish that sentence. What could a young policeman possibly need from a 13 year old delivery girl.
Last edit by Deleted: May 26, 2012 12:36:32 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 15:49:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 15:49:19 GMT -6

ABANDONED GARAGE SHOP

Hangetsu couldn't help smiling like a food and chuckling as Lykka thanked him and said her goodbyes. In a weak attempt to cover this the police officer pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose with the palm of his right hand.
"See each other around? At the very least you owe me lunch for shredding my shoes. Plus..."
The police officer quickly climbed onto the top of the cab of one of the trucks and looked up at the wires above his head. "I still need to get you home. That's what I was supposed to do in the first place, right?" He laughed again and held up his left foot and the tough work shoe he had taken from one of the thieves. "I think we can get a block or two on these shoes. Once I get my metal bender boots I can take you for an even longer ride," he rolled his eyes. "if it's official police business like say, I need to make sure a young lady gets home safely."

He waited for Lykka to climb onto the cab of the truck before jumping onto the trailer. "I'm getting assigned a partner tomorrow but I don't think they will be quite as good as you."
The bespectacled policeman bent down and kissed the girl on the her forehead. "Climb on board and I'll show you how I deliver a package."

This time there was no hesitation to begin skating on the cable because unlike the trip to the warehouse there was no doubt present. He went faster than before and jumped further as well. The stolen shoes on Hangetsu's feet only lasted for a block but his mood lasted the entire trip despite the wires digging into his feet.

"Next time let's do something a little less dangerous and easier on my feet. Be seeing you, Lykka."
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 23:32:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 23:32:16 GMT -6

Kibihana's Flower Shop

Mugen released the boy from his grip with an indifferent grunt, which would have been the same reaction if he had broken the boy's arms.
"I think you should send a message to other thieves but it is none of my concern."
"Um, you aren't going to break my arms, either, right?"
Mugen couldn't tell if the woman was making a joke or not. As it was his day off, he decided to answer honestly.
"You don't owe me money. It's fine."

"Aren't you one of the White Falls Wolf Bats? I don't remember your name, but sometimes Mom listens to pro-bending matches..."
Mugen flashed a genuine smile. He'd been mistaken for Tahno once before but he'd never seen the resemblance himself.
"No, no, no. I can't bend, but I find the subject fascinating. My name is Mugen Yuan."
Mentioning bending made Mugen unconsciously reach for the book that was in his left hand before he grabbed the thief. The Inferno Within: Philosophies of Fire Bending.
If he lost his book he's have to break the boy's arms as a matter of principle.

As soon as Mugen squatted down he saw the book on the ground at Yuriko's feet and looked up at her with a passive stare.
"There is something under your skirt that is mine."
Last edit by Deleted: May 26, 2012 23:33:03 GMT -6
kgal
May 27, 2012 7:40:27 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 27, 2012 7:40:27 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand
[/b][/center]

Yuriko was so shocked at his aggressive actions in contrast to his passive emotions, that she quite forgot the small bouquet in her hands. The man let the boy go, commenting on "teaching the others a lesson". But... it wouldn't be her teaching anyone a lesson! It was all this man... "You don't owe me money. It's fine," the man objected, despite the fact that she hadn't even offered to pay him. Still, that was pretty chivalrous of him, wouldn't she say? I mean, he'd almost broken a little kid's arm... But just to save her from being stolen from, right? Yuriko clung to this meager little hope.

She was summarily charmed by the way he grinned at her. Apparently she was mistaken, but then he introduced himself. "My name is Mugen Yuan." Yuriko stared with wide eyes, and blurted the first thing that came to mind. "You mean like the money 'yuan'?" She was intensely aware of how stupid that sounded as it came out of her mouth, and clapped her free hand to her mouth.

"Uh! I mean, that'sareally nicenamesir!" she squeaked rapidly. "Myname is YurikoKibihana and it'sapleasure tomeetyou!" She bowed quickly, shoving her hands on her thighs and jerking her upper body forward and back so fast it made her a bit dizzy. Still, Mr. Yuan crouched down in front of the stand, looking at her legs beneath the flower box. "There is something under your skirt that is mine."

Yuriko was stunned. Her cheeks, flushed by the heat, turned a deep rose-red, and she whapped herself in the face with the tulips as she tried to hide it. No man had ever tried to... possess her before! Nor so crudely! Still, it was hard to hide her shocked face and grab her dress protectively at the same time. She opted for the latter, flattening the fabric over her legs. "Sir, I don't think..." she began, avoiding his eyes. Then she looked down and saw the book on the ground at her feet.

"Oh." She felt foolish, and stooped quickly to retrieve the book. It wasn't fiction, but the title intrigued her anyway. "Philosophies of Firebending..." she mused quietly, kneeling before handing the man his book under the flower box. The shade of the awning reached her there, and the coolness was blessed. She smiled quietly. "I'm a firebender... Though not a very good one." It wasn't hard to admit. The twins had frequently reminded her. "I was born too early, you see." It was sort of weird to be talking on the dirt ground, but Yuriko's legs needed a rest, and it was kind of nice to chat with someone who wasn't a customer.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 14:03:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 27, 2012 14:03:12 GMT -6

Kibihana's Flower Stand

Nervous people threw Mugen off balance and the flower woman seemed very nervous. That kind of attitude was expected from people he intended to intimidate but under such circumstances Yuriko's attitude perplexed him.

Mugen didn't have time to be offended at Yuriko's reaction to his name. He was raised by his mother who immigrated from the Foggy Swamp and couldn't read or write. She had no last time so Mugen had to claim one as his own. Questions of his last name usually led to questions of his parentage which usually led to swamp dweller jokes which in turn led to limbs being bent in odd directions.
Yurkiko's embarassed and rushed retraction convinced Mugen that there were no pending jokes about eating possum chicken or being betrothed to one's sister.

The young criminal's interest was piqued when Yuriko stated she was a fire bender and forgot to take back his book. Suddenly he lost his apathy.
"I have read that fire bending can be utilized through anger or strong emotions in general. Have you ever mistakenly set anyone on fire? How do you access your bending?"

Mugen stood and reached into the inner pocket of his jacket of his blue suit with the gray pin stripes to pull out a roll of yuans in a money clip and handed a fifty yuan bill to Yuriko.
"Tell me everything you know of bending."
kgal
May 27, 2012 14:43:45 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 27, 2012 14:43:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand

Mr. Yuan seemed to change after she spoke. Was he surprised by her admission? Maybe he just didn't like the fact that she'd revealed personal information... Before she could apologize though, she realized that his passive emotion had turned to... was it intrigue? He spoke quickly, betraying his enthusiasm. It was strange to hear him get so excited after apathetically almost harming a child. He even forgot to take his book.

"I've heard that firebending can be utilized through anger or strong emotions in general," he said. Yuriko nodded, thinking of the twins. They'd always been so angry, feeling restricted by Daddy and ignored by Mom. But before she could respond properly, he was asking questions of her, questions that didn't make sense to her ears. Why would she ever light someone on fire?? And even before she could answer those questions, Mr. Yuan stood up suddenly.

She followed as quickly as she could, burdened by the bouquet in one hand and the book in the other. And then the man was practically shoving a bill at her, and she struggled for a moment, dumbfounded, before managing to pin the waggling bill to the book under her thumb. She stared at him with wide eyes. "Tell me everything you know about bending."

It was a 50 yuan bill, the largest bill she'd ever held. She couldn't just outright refuse it - that would be rude! But was he really paying her... to tell him about her weak bending? Still, she couldn't let him just do that. In return, she mindlessly handed him the bouquet of yellow tulips. "Well..." she began, wishing she wouldn't stutter. "Like I said, I'm really not a very good bender. I've only bent when I was really upset, but I've never hurt anybody with it..."

The words came more naturally as she spoke. It was as if each admission into her thoughts was a weight off her shoulders... Why did she feel that way...? "On the other hand, my sisters were always angry, and they were such strong firebenders. They were always mad at something or another, especially at my dad... They didn't get along with him well. I guess what fueled them was the desire to get away from him." She shrugged and held the book more securely with both hands. She no longer noticed the heat, and she could look into his face without feeling weird.

"I guess I've never been angry or aggressive enough to firebend properly. Both of my parents were really amazing firebenders... But my dad always said that women should let men do the fighting and arguing. That's sort of how I am. I can only really light candles and little stuff like that." She felt an uncomfortable stirring in her stomach, almost like shame. Her frown didn't help her average-looking face. "I don't know if I'm the right person to be asking... And you don't need to pay me or anything..." The discomfort suddenly returned and Yuriko bowed politely again, offering Mr. Yuan the book and the bill with her left hand.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 28, 2012 13:48:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 28, 2012 13:48:17 GMT -6

Kibihana's Flower Stand

Mugen stood still and stared as he pondered Yuriko.
"You may keep the money and borrow the book but I would like to see you bend, Miss Kibihana. When do you get off of work? It's not often I see a fire bender with your demeanor. I find that interesting."

He had seen many fire benders in his time but timidity was not a common trait amoung them. The thought of seeing a below self-described below average bender attempt to improve her craft was far too interesting to pass up. Mugen wanted to know if bending was determined by personality or something deeper. He could pay to watch a master but then he could not see them improve.

"I would like to take you some place quiet where you can concentrate. I would also chronicle your bending skills. I can pay you for your trouble, of course. I have no classes and work has been sparse so I am unbelievably bored."

It struck Mugen that he had been honest and without pretense when dealing with Yuriko. She had nothing he wanted and felt no need to put on any false charm. Typically, when the young criminal had to learn something it meant deceit via his nice guy act. It was liberating to be himself, cold and curious, and get something out of it.
It actually made him smile.
kgal
May 28, 2012 14:17:35 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 28, 2012 14:17:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand

Mr. Yuan suddenly lost any friendliness he might have had. There was a gleam in his eyes, so shocking blue, that Yuriko didn't understand. They were cold, calculating, watching. He was nice to look at and all, but no hero in her books had eyes that were as hard as his. For a moment she couldn't move, chilled by his stare in spite of the heat and feeling like a painting being scrutinized by a critic. One move and he would strike. But he began to speak and Yuriko warily pulled the book back to herself.

"You may keep the money and borrow the book but I would like to see you bend, Miss Kibihana." She raised her eyebrows in surprise, thinking, Here? Now? But he went on. "When do you get off of work? It's not often I see a firebender with your demeanor. I find that interesting."

The words frightened her. She was startlingly aware of the fact that she hadn't even be paying attention to potential customers. But few people were passing by, and none even gave the shop a second look. It was really sad to see, actually. Yuriko wasn't pretty like the twins. She didn't catch the eye, and she knew it. Mr. Yuan's words were sounded sinister in his cold tone. "I..." she started, but was too anxious to let any more words out.

He continued, his disinterested tone in stark contrast with the intention of his words. "I would like to take you someplace quiet where you can concentrate. I would also chronicle your bending skills." Her mouth shut tight and her throat nearly choked with fear. It was a trap! She knew it was, but she couldn't look away! He was like a snake, with those pretty blue eyes and slicked shiny hair... If he was the snake, she was...

Dinner.

And he just kept going. Some part of her knew he was being curious, but another part wasn't so sure it was her bending Mr. Yuan wanted. Her fears weren't soothed by his next sentence, either. "I can pay you for your trouble, of course." She swallowed painfully. He finally added, "I am unbelievably bored."

She didn't know how to respond. "I..." she began again, but this time forced through her fear. "I don't know, sir. I don't think..." I don't think I can trust you, she finished in her head. But she couldn't say that. She couldn't! It would be rude... But the words came to her mouth easily enough. "I don't think I'd be the best subject, Mr. Yuan. I'm not sure anything would happen, and I wouldn't want you to waste your money."

It wasn't a lie. The sound of her own voice gave her a little more confidence. "I mean, my shift ends at 3 today. It's a long time to wait... But could I meet with you tomorrow? Maybe I could look over your book and it might help me a little." There she was, having thoroughly stepped into his possible trap. But her fate was sealed, and if they went to a public place for her to practice, no matter how quiet... "Is that okay with you, Mr. Yuan?"
This user is a guest
tae
May 29, 2012 2:32:32 GMT -6

Post by tae on May 29, 2012 2:32:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

As she introduced herself, Jun came to a slight calm. Withdrawing his angry stare at the other henchmen, he focused on the lady before him. She mentioned that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and he visibly frowned. This was a common occurrence to him. Although, when she finally said it in words, it solidified the truth of his constant misfortune. He sighed as she finished the first part of her dialogue. How foolish was he to have wandered around so aimlessly. Now he had become something to sweep up, something to clean, at least according to the Black Fox.

Jun continued to listen, his rebellious attitude shrinking as she listed the benefits of joining their gang. His eyes widened as she laid out her tempting offer. He had been approached by some gangs, but Kayako had found him at the right place and at the right time. The non-bender had been considering something like this. The city streets were a dangerous place, especially if one was alone. Perhaps, now was the time to align himself with an organization, make some allies. He looked up at her with a defeated expression.

“Fine. I’m in.” The boy crossed his arms, “Now what?”

He continued to look at her expectantly. Jun was still in the middle of a warehouse which was somewhere in the district- he didn’t know. He didn’t even know if he would be able to go home tonight or even ever. Regardless, he had decided he was going to follow her orders. Being abrasive in the middle of a gang’s hideout was never a good idea anyway.

“Do I get some fancy nickname too?”
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
May 29, 2012 9:42:24 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on May 29, 2012 9:42:24 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

Fine, I'm in.

Could this have turned out any more perfectly? She'd beaten him in a fight (hey, winning by "cheating" was still winning), abducted him, and managed to "convince" him to join the Shadowhand. All in all, she'd done pretty well.

Do I get some fancy nickname too?

She chuckled. "Well, aren't you just eager?" Since he was sitting up, her next task would be easy. She walked around behind him and, holding his neck with her left hand, she used her right to jab a few points on his back. It would take a few minutes, but any chi blocking she did to him previously would be undone.

"You get a nickname when you earn it, but I think we have more important things to discuss; like the terms of you joining us. Where do I start? I already mentioned that you answer to me, first and foremost, but for now, you also answer to everyone else. Speaking of which..." She snapped her fingers and the other members of the gang approached her.

"You already know Wolfie and Hazen, our resident Firebender and Waterbender, but this is Steel, the Metalbender" She gestured to a tall, solidly-built man. "And this," she gestured to, "is Bol, an Earthbender."

"Now that we've all been introduced, I have a task for you. I'm giving you the next couple days to do it. I'm going to send you out on tasks with the guys and myself, and you have to get to know us. When the two days are up, you need to be able to tell me what each of us were before we joined the Shadowhand. Think you can manage that?"
This user is a guest
taedxoa
May 30, 2012 7:31:06 GMT -6

Post by taedxoa on May 30, 2012 7:31:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Disused Storage Warehouse

As the youngling followed her instructions, Sora paused, amused at herself for the way the day had turned out. She was no prodigy — an accomplished firebender, certainly, but it had taken most of her seventy-plus years to reach that point — and here she was, tutoring a complete stranger. She'd never really taught before, except for teaching life lessons to her daughter Piri, and she hadn't turned out a bender; not so disappointing as others might have thought. This experience here and now would turn out for the best. She knew it somehow.

She wasn't ALWAYS senile, after all.

"All right," Sora started as the youngster trotted back to her, but then she frowned. "This won't work without names. Only one lesson is allowed to be anonymous. My name is Sora Kimura." Without really waiting for her student to respond, she turned back to the dummy and went on, "Now there are two schools of thought about firebending. One is the strong motion school, like what we just talked about. The other is an almost fluid, circular motion like the way that flames continue to move around and wave within each other. I want you to practice the latter, and do so until it's nothing but pure instinct."

To demonstrate, she began with her right hand palm down in front of her forehead, left hand palm up in front of her navel, and circled them both clockwise in her sight until their positions were switched. Then she rolled her hands over the space before her bosom and summoned up a roil of flame in her cradled palms, and finally stretched her arms out with the split flames wafting from her fingertips. As she turned her gaze expectantly toward the younger bender, she clapped her hands together and extinguished the flames. "Practicing many sets with little bending will strengthen the core of your bending skill, so that utilizing larger attacks will take less effort."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 13:57:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 30, 2012 13:57:09 GMT -6

Kibihana's Flower Stand

"I mean, my shift ends at 3 today. It's a long time to wait... But could I meet with you tomorrow? Maybe I could look over your book and it might help me a little. Is that okay with you, Mr. Yuan?"

"I don't believe in abandoning investments, Miss Kibihana. I will be back within the hour and wait here."

The gangster returned carrying a tablet of paper and a pen and sat against the wall of the flower stand studying Yuriko and occassionally scribling a note. He had read at one time that with proper training one could spot a bender by the way they moved. Mugen made a mental note to seek out such a person for training. It was a useful skill to have.

"Why a flower shop? Other than the obvious familial connection? I thought I would make conversation to pass the time. There are occupations where you can put your gift to use. Why not choose of them?"

The idea of being able to bend but not having a career that utilized it mystified Mugen Yuan. He was born smart and with an insatiable desire for knowledge so he chose a field where those assets were in short supply. Crime. Earth benders not at least attempting to become police officer or water benders fire fighters was something the man could not understand. Being raised by a poor woman who could not read or write taught the young man to treasure any gift that made life easier.

"You are wasting your potential selling flowers, Miss Kibihana."
kgal
May 30, 2012 15:24:19 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 30, 2012 15:24:19 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kibihana's Flower Stand

No. It wasn't okay. Her skin flushed as Mr. Yuan berated her. "I don't believe in abandoning investments, Miss Kibihana. I will be back within the hour and wait here." She'd already told him when she got off. It was too late to refuse, and besides, he'd already paid her! Still, he seemed angry as he walked away without a response.

Ashamed and confused, Yuriko slipped the note into the front cover of the book, and set it beneath a table in the shade. Obviously Mr. Yuan wasn't about to accept her answer. Then again, she could only hope Daddy wouldn't be too angry that she was talking with a stranger. Still, she had to put on a smile and wait out her shift in the heat. At least Daddy gave her some payment for her work. It wasn't as much as a worker outside of the family would earn for all the time she was there, but she lived under his roof and ate his food for no charge. There were starving orphans out there, he told her. She was... privileged.

The time went surprisingly fast in the heat, however. She even sold that bouquet of tulips fairly quickly. And then Mr. Yuan returned, bearing note-taking instruments. Great... she thought with despair. He's going to be writing down how awful I am at bending... Still, Yuriko put on a smile and gave another small bow. "Welcome back, Mr. Yuan. I hope the wait wasn't too tedious for you."

The man was all business, however, his blue eyes cold as ice. "Why a flower shop? Other than the obvious familial connection?" He stated that he just wanted to pass the time, and asked why she didn't take a job involving her firebending skills, if you could even call it that. He said it was a "gift". Yuriko had never heard anyone call bending a gift before, not the twins, not her father, not even her mother.

"Um," she began dully. "Like I said, I've never been a very strong firebender. My dad didn't want me to end up like the... my sisters, who were really angry all the time and left home early." Plus, she couldn't think of any jobs except for the ones involving generators, and lightning was something Yuriko knew she couldn't bend. Still, she put up a front.

"I've never been able to create lightning before. And there aren't that many teachers who would hire someone with the skill level of their students." She hoped it was a satisfactory answer. Nothing else about her had been satisfactory until this point.

"You're wasting your potential selling flowers, Miss Kibihana," said Mr. Yuan bluntly, coolly. The words were like a slap to her face, and she struggled to keep her lips from trembling. The frustration and embarrassment were overwhelming. Why didn't he just believe her? She was a horrible bender! She couldn't do anything he wanted her to! Why would he just throw all those expectations on a stranger like that?

She took in a deep breath and sighed, trying to keep herself composed. "Mr. Yuan, like I said before, I don't have much potential." The words were hours stale but came back fresh and painful. "I'll try to bend for you, but I really don't think I'll be able to give you what you want to see..." She dreaded the moment that time would come, when she would try to bend and fail miserably, or produce little more than a spark. She would be utterly humiliated...
This user is a guest
Last edit by kgal: May 30, 2012 15:24:35 GMT -6
tae
May 31, 2012 0:38:18 GMT -6

Post by tae on May 31, 2012 0:38:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
A pang of fear seized Jun’s senses as her hand curled around the back of his neck. The percussion of her fingertips against the points on his back caused him to squirm in alarm again like he did before. However, as soon as it stopped, he began to feel the blood course back to his legs, some movement coming back to his previously disabled limbs. He could escape once his bottom-half gained its vigor back- or at least attempt to. On second thought, he probably wouldn’t have been able to escape. He was in the center, surrounded by all these shady street-types. Then he realized he would eventually become one of them. Perhaps, he could maintain a stubborn civility in midst of these weird, seedy thugs. He wouldn’t become one of them.

“I’m the bottom-feeder then?” He spat, “Yeah, perfect.” As the Black Fox named the henchmen nearby, he only gave them half-glances, refusing to give them a pocket of respect- at least for this moment, “Just do me a favour, yeah? Give me a better nickname than those guys.”

Jun smirked, his expression akin to that of a kid sticking his taunting tongue out. He shifted his legs around now since his muscles began to tighten. As she told him his first “objective” he crossed his arms, nodding along.
“Tasks? What do you guys do anyway?” He snorted, “How about the first task being: let’s put more signs up so everyone can see where the hell they are.” Discarding his bitterness again he complied with her, “Sure. Whatever. I can manage. No biggie.”

His confidence melted at the end of his words, “What happens if I fail?”
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
May 31, 2012 8:11:03 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on May 31, 2012 8:11:03 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

Her jaw set, pressing her rows of teeth into one another. She waited until he was done, then drew a breath in.

"Look, I know you've been beaten up and basically kidnapped, but there is absolutely no excuse to talk to anyone like that, let alone me. I make you the offer of a lifetime, and you backtalk me? No, no, no, that's not the way things work." Her words had an edge as sharp as her throwing knives, and her eyes burned as they bored into the boy's skull through his eye sockets.

"I don't think you quite understand the gravity of your situation. If you try to escape, we can find you. We know the streets well enough so you won't even make it out of the district. You can try to fight all of us, but..." she gave a single, small laugh, "we've all seen how that goes."

Then she rememebered his comment about signs. "Our signs are everywhere, and we can't be held responsible if people don't learn how to read. What really gets me is that you accuse us of not putting up enough signs, then you're exactly the kind of person who would need more signs? Fine."

"Now that I've gotten that all out of the way, if you don't have any respect for me and the others as the Shadowhand, at least have the common decency to respect us as human beings. You know nothing about us, so that gives you no right," she paused to step over to his side, draw back his hand, and bring it down to slap him across the face, not caring whether it did or not, "to think you're somehow better than we are." She moved back to the foot of the table.

"What happens if you fail? Let me put it this way: the police don't come around here very often and when they do, they don't ask questions. You have three days." Turning to her right, she snapped and the gang walked away; once they got to the warehouse entrance, she pulled the door shut and locked it. One way in, one way out, and only she had the key.
This user is a guest