The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Anonymous
Sept 6, 2020 19:05:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 6, 2020 19:05:36 GMT -6

Has anyone read the Kyoshi novels? If so do you recommend them? I kept up with the first set of Dark Horse ATLA comics, but haven't caught up with the latest comics and novels. Since I have a bit more free time than usual I'm considering catching up.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 9, 2020 12:24:49 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I haven't personally read them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, even from people who are generally very critical of the extended universe.
This user is Mod

Post by Ninavask on Sept 9, 2020 19:36:33 GMT -6

Ninavask Avatar
I just finished Rise and started Shadow, it is very good though I've heard I'm not the most critical of judges when it comes to expanded canon works of established series apparently. The work they did to ground the books in a realistic and mature narrative while still doing what they can to keep it open to a wider reader demographic was really well done.

Also Kyoshi is a freaking badass and the book is just another reason I want to know more about older avatars and the world in general. 
This user is Player
Anonymous
Sept 11, 2020 10:40:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 11, 2020 10:40:32 GMT -6

Ninavask Avatar
I just finished Rise and started Shadow, it is very good though I've heard I'm not the most critical of judges when it comes to expanded canon works of established series apparently. The work they did to ground the books in a realistic and mature narrative while still doing what they can to keep it open to a wider reader demographic was really well done.

Also Kyoshi is a freaking badass and the book is just another reason I want to know more about older avatars and the world in general. 
What is the writing style like? Does it read like young adult fiction or more like children's literature?

Post by Ninavask on Sept 11, 2020 18:47:03 GMT -6

Ninavask Avatar
It One hundred percent reads like a more mature YA novel. Kind of like reading a Star Wars novel which aren't usually classified as YA (Except the Young Jedi Knight Series) but don't often have super heavy tones. The Kyoshi novels do have some pretty heavy content in some spots though, so read like a more mature YA series. 

Although my understanding of the difference between YA and just regular novels can be a bit... minimal in most cases. As i've seen, not read, some YA classified books that make me squeamish to think about in their content. And other racy adult novels that I don't even blink at the content.
This user is Player
Anonymous
Sept 14, 2020 22:16:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 14, 2020 22:16:12 GMT -6

Yeah I feel the YA/Novel distinction can be very blurry. 

Thanks for the info! 

Post by Ninavask on Sept 15, 2020 21:51:57 GMT -6

Ninavask Avatar
Can confirm, just finished both Rise of Kyoshi and Shadow of Kyoshi and both are excellent. Shadow has its weaknesses but still quite good. I feel they can be classified as a standard Fiction Novel. 
This user is Player