The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 14 Aug 2020

Long ago, the Four Nations lived in harmony; then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him the most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I found the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang, and although his airbending skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he saves anybody. But I believe Aang can save the world … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Grand (Re)Opening!

Wild ostrich-horses couldn't keep us away. Saddle up, friends, it's time for TARP take two.

[Possible Spoilers] Bending in other styles

Post by Kami on Aug 25, 2020 20:25:50 GMT -6

Kami Avatar
A lot of info about bending is already out, but possible spoilers if you're new to ATLA and haven't seen all the episodes yet / haven't read up on bending.

So, one of the things I love to think about is how a lot of other non-western cultures outside of China have their own martial arts; we know that the four bending art styles are patterned after four different styles of kung fu: Northern Shaolin (fire), Tai Chi (water), Ba Gua (air), and Hung Gar (earth). We also know that some benders use different styles—for example, Toph, because of how her earthbending developed, instead of Hung Gar uses Southern Praying Mantis.

But, other cultures have their own martial arts too. In Japan, we have things like karate, aikido, sumo, jujutsu. In the Philippines, there's arnis/eskrima, sikaran, dumog. In Korea, taekwondo, hapkido, taekkyeon.

What are some non-Chinese maritial arts you think would pair well with certain elements?

Personally, I've been thinking a lot about developing a firebender that uses taekwondo — there's a lot of fancy footwork in firebending styles, and a lot of taekwondo relies on really great leg movement and footwork, with a lesser emphasis on upper body.

In theory (not that I could make an airbender :P) an airender that uses aikido would be great too, since aikido, similar to ba gua, uses the opponent's strength against them.

What about you?
This user is TARP Staff
Last edit: Sept 14, 2020 22:31:56 GMT -6

Post by michelangelo on Sept 14, 2020 22:20:52 GMT -6

michelangelo Avatar
I've been thinking about this. I always wondered if, with the advent of pro bending, the Avatar world saw the advent or something like Bartitsu or other forms of mixed martial arts? 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu
This user is Out of Character

Post by Kami on Sept 14, 2020 22:35:15 GMT -6

Kami Avatar
michelangelo Avatar
I've been thinking about this. I always wondered if, with the advent of pro bending, the Avatar world saw the advent or something like Bartitsu or other forms of mixed martial arts? 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu
Oh absolutely, I honestly think that this would have been really popular particularly in the Korra era, which we can see has a lot influence from the turn of the century to about the 1930s. As more dapper fashions became en vogue, I think that it would be seen as a 'gentlman's sport' particularly in the mid to upper classes. 
This user is TARP Staff

Post by xyloshun on Sept 15, 2020 11:01:13 GMT -6

xyloshun Avatar
I’ve seen a couple action sequences in LoK and definitely seen more boxing techniques being used by many different benders, especially in pro bending. I remember this one specific scene when Bolin was teaching Korea how to throw a “punch” at one of the earth discs, telling her to be light on her feet. This doesn’t really seem typical at all for an earthbender, might even be too “twinkle toes”.

If I had to pair any of the modern martial arts (especially the striking ones), it’d probably have to be based on their predecessors. Though, just to name a few, grappling arts like judo, Hapkido, and wrestling would probably be pretty earthy styles mainly for their need to stay grounded and be the ones to do the throwing.

Post by michelangelo on Sept 17, 2020 21:21:05 GMT -6

michelangelo Avatar

Do we ever see an agni kai in Korra's time? I feel as if it'd probably become much more 'gentlemanly'. I wouldn't be surprised if Zuko discouraged its practice during his reign.

Yes I definitely can see the boxing influence in Bolin's earth bending during the first book.

Post by Kami on Sept 21, 2020 14:31:05 GMT -6

Kami Avatar
- No, at least not in the show proper. I couldn't remember 100% so I checked out the wikia and it looks like the only known agni kai in "recent" history (ie the shows) are the three Zuko fought. It doesn't have any additional references to supplementary material, either, which its usually very good at. From that I think it's safe to assume that there hasn't been another after Zuko (at least, not by any known canon character).
This user is TARP Staff