The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Character directory displays

Anonymous
Apr 24, 2017 12:29:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 24, 2017 12:29:21 GMT -6

*Note: I am using Internet Explorer 11 (current version) on desktop, with a relatively high resolution - 1920x1080 - on a large monitor. Adjusting the window size does not resolve the issue when made either larger or smaller.

There seems to be an issue with the icons for each character sub-board displaying directly over the text. So the fire icon is on top of the "BEN" in "FIREBENDERS". Though it does not render the text illegible, it occurs for each sub-board. This does not occur for the mobile (desktop) version. It appears to me as if both are centered (vertically and horizontally) within their containers, but I haven't seen the page render like this before. I am also not sure whether this is browser-specific, since I normally use Chrome or FF.

Thanks in advance for the help!

This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Apr 24, 2017 14:01:42 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I'm investigating now. My gut instinct tells me this is browser specific since IE is always behind current standards, but I'll double check to be sure.

Is the mobile desktop version you're using also IE or is it something else?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Apr 24, 2017 14:02:40 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Apr 24, 2017 14:18:32 GMT -6

@saypikapika - I double checked on IE as well as Edge, and it's definitely IE specific. After playing around with the console it has something to do with the way IE decides to render margins. While Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari all seem to adhere to a uniform (or mostly uniform) display, IE doesn't, for whatever reason, follow suit. What it looks like is that it doesn't like nested margins. If I disable the top margin property on the bending symbols, everything is fixed (though top-aligned instead of middle-aligned). If I add any sort of margin whatsoever, it exhibits the same behaviour. It looks like what it wants is for me to use markup that, as of HTML5, is deprecated.

This is actually a very common experience for IE and in the past many websites acquiesced to these differences. However, IE is rapidly becoming an obsolete browser, which is why I have not, and do not intend to, make adjustments to themes for IE. Prior to the release of MS Edge in 2015, it accounted for less than 7% of all internet traffic ever. As of 2016, that number has dropped to less than 5%, but those statistics are mixed in with MS Edge users so in reality it's even less. The amount of hoops you need to go through to make coding cross browser compatible with IE is borderline madness. For TARP specifically, less than 1% of all our traffic comes from IE.

If it winds up becoming a problem to the point where the forum is unusable / if you find multiple instances of overlapping content, I will work on IE specific coding, but the amount of work that would involve making sure other content is cross-compatible as well would be a significant task, especially in light of less than 1% of our users coming from IE.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Apr 24, 2017 16:17:04 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Apr 24, 2017 16:17:04 GMT -6

Thanks for the help! And no, I use safari and it doesn't have that kind of problem. And it's not intrusive by any means. I just happened to see it on a computer that only has IE. It may be something to keep a record of for those who it is intrusive though.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Apr 24, 2017 16:22:07 GMT -6

I'll definitely keep it / this thread in mind if anyone else has similar issues. I'll go ahead and mark this as resolved, and since we no longer archive help threads to create a sort of library of previously asked questions this thread will be available if the issue arises in the future.
This user is Mod