The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[ SPOILERS ] Varrick

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 10, 2013 12:35:29 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Even though I find him to be a skeevy guy personally, as a character I'm absolutely fascinated by Varrick. He's not good, he's not bad, he's just a genuinely selfish kinda guy. Sometimes he helps people but there's always a reason for it that ultimately benefits him. I actually really enjoy that. He's probably, in my opinion, one of the best characterisations in Book 2 — a complex character with flaws and motivations.

What'd you guys think of him?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 10, 2013 13:13:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 10, 2013 13:13:54 GMT -6

To me Varrick has been one of the most charming and most disturbing characters of the season. He was a funny as hell eccentric but also a vile war profiteer. It was interesting the the writers concealed such a horrible real life issue like war profiteering inside one of the most cartoonish of characters. Unalaq was one-dimensionally evil in my opinion so that made Varrick even more scary.

I think there were a lot of missteps this season but Varrick was not among them.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 10, 2013 20:26:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 10, 2013 20:26:17 GMT -6

I always enjoyed being surprised by his character. He's more relateable in today's modern world than an anti-avatar hell bent on destroying everything. It's like if you compare Voldemort and Umbridge to Unalaq and Varrick. While Voldemort was obviously the more evil of the two, Umbridge was scary because she's so believably someone that might exist in our world. Varrick may be kind at some times, helps people in others, but in the end nothing is done unless it helps him somehow.

I enjoy Julee (is that how you spell it?) as a character, but I'm not quite sure why I do. Varrick says she's just the same as a warship and she has no problem with that. She also has no problem following him into prison or doing whatever he asks, either loyalty to her job or to him for some reason.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 10, 2013 21:04:26 GMT -6

ali Avatar
I always enjoyed being surprised by his character. He's more relateable in today's modern world than an anti-avatar hell bent on destroying everything. It's like if you compare Voldemort and Umbridge to Unalaq and Varrick. While Voldemort was obviously the more evil of the two, Umbridge was scary because she's so believably someone that might exist in our world. Varrick may be kind at some times, helps people in others, but in the end nothing is done unless it helps him somehow.

I enjoy Julee (is that how you spell it?) as a character, but I'm not quite sure why I do. Varrick says she's just the same as a warship and she has no problem with that. She also has no problem following him into prison or doing whatever he asks, either loyalty to her job or to him for some reason.

It's Zhu Li, according to the subtitles on Nick.com.

I actually think that's an excellent comparison, though I think Umbridge was a lot less... scrupulous than Varrick. I mean, even though he was war-mongering he never tortured children by making them write lines with their own blood :X
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 11, 2013 13:00:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 11, 2013 13:00:25 GMT -6

Of course not XD I'm just saying that he's more realistic in our world than Unalaq was, which makes him more scary because we can believe it.

I don't hate Varrick, but he's real. He's someone that you might find in charge of today's corporations, trying to sell his things by pushing a war through propaganda and schemes and using people. That kind of mind set and ambition is scary.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 12, 2013 10:26:52 GMT -6

I was teasing =P

But yeah, that's what I liked about him. He squicked me out right away when I saw him on the screen, to be honest. I didn't trust his "eccentric gazillionaire" act one bit. I didn't think he'd go so far as intentionally screwing with Asami and Mako, though, my concern was primarily with Bolin. I thought he was going to turn him into a patsy.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2013 10:42:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2013 10:42:57 GMT -6

It's the mustache. You can't trust someone in fiction with a pencil thin mustache.

Post by Gia on Dec 18, 2013 20:24:32 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I enjoyed Varrick a lot as a character. I liked that I never really saw what he was going to do next, and I was honestly surprised when he royally screwed with Asami and Mako. I did enjoy not knowing what he was going to do next. It was fascinating.
This user is Mod