The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[ SPOILERS ] Book 2 Consequences

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 5, 2013 9:48:47 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
So with the Book 2 finale done and over with, I have to wonder at the consequences of Korra's decision to keep the spirit portals open.

First of all, I completely disagree with Korra's assessment that Avatar Wan was wrong to separate the two worlds. I mean, they still can't treat nonbenders right because of their nonbender status, and a war that lasted one hundred years was over so recently that people who lived it are still alive. Considering how humans treated spirits back in Avatar Wan's day, I can't imagine that things have changed much other than bigger, better weapons.

Secondly... what will this mean for the world itself? Will we see a return of the Lion Turtles? Will non-benders be able to acquire bending abilities if they come back? (An aside, did anyone notice the HUGE CONTRADICTION by saying the Lion Turtles gave bending when prior lore said it was the dragons / badgermoles / etc??)

What do you guys think?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 5, 2013 11:41:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 5, 2013 11:41:13 GMT -6

I think the consequences will be a lot of disappearing humans or at the very least people coming back without faces. Remember that lovable scamp Koh the Face Stealer? He may be one of the more benign spirits out there.
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Dec 5, 2013 13:06:26 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I am going to say on record that Kami took the words right out of my mouth. I mean, I still don't understand how they can just say that everything is all perfect now, and let's bring in spirits now because humans can handle each other. Like you said, how are things going to be any different? I think Hangetsu has a good point... what about spirits like Koh? He's a bad one, and I'm sure there are others out there. It doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm honestly a bit confused about where they're going to go from here. I just don't think.... Ugh, well, there's a lot about it I don't agree with.

I am also going to say for the record - since Kami brought it up - that I don't agree with non-benders being able to bend. I hope that's not where they're going with this. (And yes, I did notice the huge contradiction. When that came up, I remember thinking to myself "Wait, what? That's not what they said before!") I don't have a problem with the Lion Turtles themselves, but how bending special if suddenly everyone can do it? Let's hope that's not what they're doing.

All in all, I'm not sure what I think. -_-
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 2:52:57 GMT -6

I think what gets me the most is that it stills feels like an incomplete story. Out of nowhere Eska and Desna are like, "Lol we have a mom whatever about dad" even though they were practically fanatics over him / no mention of their mom before the last ep. There's absolutely no explanation of how or why the sever with Raava made the sever from the past avatars permanent, like, Raava didn't DIE so ...? And if Baatu can't die then why did Unalaq die? And then lol surprise avatar wan was COMPLETELY WRONG so here have COMPLETE ACCESS TO THE SPIRIT REALM EVERYONE

ugh
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2013 3:16:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2013 3:16:39 GMT -6

The Eska and Desna thing is the only thing that didn't bother me a little. It was established earlier that their father didn't care if they lived or died when Desna was almost killed so at least a seed was planted for that. I was okay with the turnaround and still find those two to be the highlight of the season.
As for the opening up the spirit world...I see it as a change but not one that is necessarily good or bad...though I stick to my assertion that a lot of people will go missing and/or have their faces removed.

Despite the world-shattering stakes this season I never really felt a sense of urgency like I did in the first series with Aang. It helped that Aang had a thought out character arc through the series while Korra seems to be the one things happen around.

The Korra/Mako relationship stuff seemed extraneous to me but I was never a fan of the pairing anyway. It would have been interesting to see them grow apart bit by bit instead of one relationship ending fight. Neither one seems mature enough to handle a relationship so maybe they should have stayed together so they could keep the heartbreak to a minimum.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 10:35:03 GMT -6

I had a LOT of problems with desna and eska, particularly with eska and bolin. i just... can we bloody sTOP with the 'crazy girlfriend' schtick, please? desna was a backdrop to it, i'm tired of women being portrayed as psycho significant others, the LITErAL EMOTioNAL ABUsE was awful... bah!

*disclaimer: I actually LOVE Eska. I was very much looking forward to her, and desna. But like all my favs with this show they're apparently not worthy of good writing. See also: the fact they NEVER ADDRESS mako being a grade-A douchecanoe to asami A G A I N.

My issue re: the spirit world is more a repeat of what went on in the 'Beginnings' episodes. Spirits and mortals being at odds with perceived superiority over each other, mortals and humans at odds and trying to kill each other again, humans attempting to take over the spirit world literally. It just seems like such a bad idea.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2013 12:08:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2013 12:08:35 GMT -6

Next season we need a part where Mako is punched in the back of the head for being a jerk. If they bring back The Lieutenant to fill this role all will be forgiven.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 13:04:14 GMT -6

oni Avatar
Next season we need a part where Mako is punched in the back of the head for being a jerk. If they bring back The Lieutenant to fill this role all will be forgiven.

I'm down with this.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2013 13:47:56 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Re: Mako - I was totally pissed off at time for a good part of the season. I mean, firstly, he was Korra's "yes boy", which annoyed me. I agree that neither seem mature enough for a relationship, and him getting back with Asami again. Ugh... so disappointed in Asami there. If she gets back with him again after being a douchebag again, I will lose all respect, I swear... I was a Makorra fan, but am SO not anymore.

oni Avatar
I'm down with this.

Works for me.

Re: Desna, Eska & Bolin - I was totally a bit weirded about this whole thing, honestly. I mean, yes, I can see how it would be fun at times, but... I agree that why are the girls always the psychos? I also don't get why all of a sudden towards the end, Bolin started talking about being serious with her - or at least that's how it seemed to me - and I kind of felt like that came out left field. I don't know....

Re: Bolin - I just have to say, I'm glad he got some time to himself and away from Mako! That scene with him fighting off the Waterbenders was EPIC! Loved it. I hope that continues into the next season, honestly.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 6, 2013 13:53:48 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2013 13:55:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2013 13:55:22 GMT -6

Not to veer too far off the subject but I think that people are more fond of the psycho girlfriend shtick because it can be played for laughs much easier than a psycho boyfriend. If Desna were to act the same way towards, let's say, Asami it would be much darker and creepy in my opinion.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 15:20:27 GMT -6

oni Avatar
Not to veer too far off the subject but I think that people are more fond of the psycho girlfriend shtick because it can be played for laughs much easier than a psycho boyfriend. If Desna were to act the same way towards, let's say, Asami it would be much darker and creepy in my opinion.

I'm not going to get into the politics of that one too much but I find this ridiculous (not you, but the sentiment). They're both equally creepy, but it's easier to dismiss a psycho woman than a psycho man because men are threatening and women are a joke.A strong man like Bo being emasculated by a woman is laughable and that's why it's played for comedy. And, it's easier to believe that women get "too" attached and "too" emotional and "too" controlling because hey, they're already emotionally unbalance! I mean PMS amirite.

/ramble

@, I don't think you have to lose respect with Asami. I mean yeah, she's her own person but ultimately she's not the one writing her own narrative.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2013 17:06:51 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
@ — I was not referring to Asami. ;)

Sent from my Prism using proboards
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 6, 2013 17:28:58 GMT -6

lol fair xD
This user is Mod