The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Spoilers] The Bloodbending Theory

waterkai
Jul 7, 2012 9:53:59 GMT -6

Post by waterkai on Jul 7, 2012 9:53:59 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well, hey guys, you probably don't know me (yet) cause I'm new here, but what I would like to share with you guys is my theory on the whole bloodbending = take-away-bending situation. I formulated this theory using nothing but logic and statements made in the series, but in no way I'm claiming this is the absolute right one. Feel free to comment or share your own theories!

First of all, energybending. That one true art that was the only one of taking away bending during the original series. Let me quote dat big turtle:
"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves"

During the series we were only introduced to two types of energy: 'pure cosmic energy', which we really don't know anything about, and Chi.

In my opinion this "energy within [themselves]" must refer to the Chi within the people of the Avatar World. Now, so far, we have only seen waterbenders, the avatar and the guru manipulating Chi. Let me scratch that last one, for the sake of not delving too much into meditation and the Buddhism references within the Avatar world.

Waterbenders manipulating Chi? Indeed. Remember the northern water tribe? The healing class? The practice doll the students were taught from displayed the chi lines within the human body. Plus I think Katara mentioned something about being unable to heal the earthbenders during "The Drill'. This must mean healing concerns the manipulation or movement of chi. If the chi is blocked, it cannot be moved, thus the person cannot be healed.

Now, bloodbending. Unlike the statements made in the series and its very name, I don't think it's just manipulating body fluids. We saw Katara bending fluid inside Aang's body in the third episode already, without any full moon or knowledge. I know it was just water and not really a 'part' of Aang, but if she could do that with water, why not blood? Aang's veins were less deep in the body than the water in his lungs, so that shouldn't be a problem, technically. No, I believe bloodbending is the manipulation of Chi within someone else's body. We know certain waterbenders have this skill, through healing, and even though only one of them has showed both these abilities, none of the others really had the chance or motives to heal someone else.

Following this theory, it's basically just math at the end. Energybending is the manipulation of Chi, bloodbending is the manipulation of Chi, making them both able to do the same thing. I'm not saying they are the same thing, an energybender wouldn't be able to bloodbend if he wasn't a waterbending master, but merely that they are very similar, which gave Amon the chance to duplicate the effects.
This user is a guest
Last edit by waterkai: Jul 7, 2012 9:55:50 GMT -6