The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Thoughts on Twilight?

kgal
Jun 20, 2012 22:46:34 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jun 20, 2012 22:46:34 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
So! I understand this topic is of a lot of controversy, so I was wondering what everyone else thought.

As for the books, I 100% understand the utterly weak prose. However, back in 9th or 10th grade when I read the books, they were entertaining. I didn't read them for their literary strength, but for entertainment. And so I enjoyed reading them. Would I read them again? Sure. (It's not as in-depth or emotional as A Song of Ice and Fire, that's for sure =] But still...)

And as for the movies, I take a similar viewpoint. I watched Breaking Dawn part 1 with friends, and I'd probably watch it again. =] I thought it was better than Eclipse, which was better than New Moon, which was better than Twilight. I just recently watched the Breaking Dawn part 2 trailer and was actually pretty excited for it. I'd love to go watch it with the same friends as before - though the school year might make that a problem lol! =]

(Just as a note, I find Kristen Stewart to be a very beautiful and misunderstood actress. I thought she looked stunning in BDp1 and in the new trailer, even more so.)

So. The Avatar RP's thoughts?
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 20, 2012 22:51:34 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I'm a fan of Anne Rice, so I could go on ranting about how stupid I think Stephenie Myer's vampires are, and don't get me started on Breaking Dawn, because that's another point that I don't like. Now, the books were fun, well, the first three were. Were they great or fantastic? No. Did I have fun reading them? Yes. Would I read them again? Probably not. I have a similar view on the movies. They were fun. Would I watch them again? Maybe but probably not.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 20, 2012 22:58:54 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Weak writing aside, I dislike Twilight for the perpetuation of abusive relationships and a myriad of other sexist and problematic tropes and find it terrifying that young people are emulating and glorifying these relationships / tropes.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 20, 2012 23:01:33 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 21, 2012 3:26:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 21, 2012 3:26:56 GMT -6

I'm probably going to sound like I'm trolling Twilight by saying this, but in my opinion, the best thing that came out of those movies was the parody "Vampires Suck".

I didn't read the books but watched the first three movies - before the parody - and while I'm not willing to condemn any movie without a serious reason, I can't say that they really moved me. It's all just too... gray. When I watched them, I felt like there was a gray screen through which I was trying to see. I enjoy drama, most of the time, but this time it was overdone. Or maybe not well enough done. It might be because of the way they portrayed intimacy, tenderness and all that sweetness.

Either way, the action sequences were more interesting to see in my opinion, and they weren't even that great... except at the end of Eclipse. But then again, that movie was the best of the three in my opinion if we forget the love stuff - I guess it means I really don't like the loving in those movies, since it's supposed to be at the center of everything... *bows*
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Jun 21, 2012 3:53:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 21, 2012 3:53:22 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Weak writing aside, I dislike Twilight for the perpetuation of abusive relationships and a myriad of other sexist and problematic tropes and find it terrifying that young people are emulating and glorifying these relationships / tropes.

Got there before I could, I see ;)

Yep! That. I started to read these during my BA due to the hype surrounding them and as an exercise to see what it took to get on the NYT bestseller list so quickly. I was unpleasantly surprised.

I have only seen the first and second films, and I would like my time back.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 21, 2012 20:50:19 GMT -6
jin
Jun 21, 2012 13:18:54 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 21, 2012 13:18:54 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Some of you may know that I absolutely think that the entire series is over-hyped, underwhelming, and part of me hates myself for watching even a little bit of any of them. Part of that sounds really negative, because it is. I'm not saying this without any insight either because my sister, and every friend is high school (most of them girls, a couple guys) told me these books were great. I was still getting off of the ride that was Harry Potter, reading all of the books over and over again because they were GREAT. I started reading the first book and I really didn't know what I was reading. It upset me that this lore, this series was getting as much praise as it was.

That's just for the book, but the movies really upset me. I like RP from Goblet of Fire. He was cool, and I thought he did a decent job; enough for me to say "I'd see another movie with him in it". With movies I can normally turn my brain off, sit there and just watch a movie. Not with this, not at all. The acting, the story, and the presentation of just about everything was horrible. I can say that her (Bella's) dad was my favorite character. He wasn't in nearly as much as he should of been, and it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest, but I can say He was good. Finally, I will say that this craze is almost over. Just a couple more months, and a few more screaming pedophile mothers to weave around and it'll all be over.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 21, 2012 13:20:03 GMT -6