The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Answer That and Stay Fashionable [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Jun 18, 2012 16:06:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 18, 2012 16:06:25 GMT -6

As he'd suspected, a woman's voice answered on the other end of the line.

Yao residence

Well, that didn't ring any bells. Hyuk-jae cleared his throat. The shopkeeper, having seen him make similar calls before, was watching with interest. He loved to see the young man so obviously nervous and embarrassed.

"Hello," he said, trying his best to be polite. Despite good intention, he knew he sounded nervous. Because he was. "Um — I'm really sorry to telephone you like this, it's just I — I found your address and 'phone number in my pocket, but I — I don't remember you." He paused before letting the rest of his words come out in a rush. It was easier to just get it all out quickly.

"My name is Hyuk-jae and I obviously met you somewhere, and it's not a reflection on you at all that I can't remember, I — I have... trouble sometimes, remembering things that happen, and so I just — I thought — I should call you, because I don't know if I said I would meet you some place, or ... what." Letting his breath out in a rush, Hyuk-jae stopped talking. He hoped the girl would reveal where they had met and why he had her number. If she didn't, well, he'd probably just have to throw it away. Otherwise he'd forget again why he had it and probably make the same mistake. It was all so stupid!

Hyuk-jae ran a hand through his hair and waited for what was sure to be an unhappy reply on the other end of the line.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 19, 2012 0:25:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
It was neither Katsumi nor Mei; with some surprise, Ling listen as Hyuk-jae re-introduced himself, clearly embarrassed. She tutted only once, but only in sympathy. He'd clearly had another fit, probably bigger than the one from when they first met. He had only forgotten her question then, not her entirely.

"Hello, Hyuk-jae," the freckled girl said as brightly as possible, wanting to reassure him. Again, Mei wasn't home. The timing on this guy! "She smiled, and hope the smile translated to her tone. "We met a few days ago when you were selling papers outside of City Hall. I was just getting the papers I needed to start up a detective agency with my older sister, Mei. You had a small fit then, too, and told me about your condition." Ling pinched the hand piece between her cheek and shoulder, and began taking off her coat and work pants. "In exchange for some information about that day's headline I treated you to lunch at Narook's Seaweed Noodlery. We exchanged some personal information — your current residence, and I gave you that paper." Ling switched the phone to her other ear/shoulder and picked up the base of the phone, bringing it along with her so she could sit on the sofa.

She wondered briefly if she should mention she knew about his other job. Part of her thought it would be better to keep silent, since he had clearly been embarrassed and she didn't want to possibly get him in trouble. On the other hand, he had agreed to meet one of his clients that weekend, and he would possibly be put out or in trouble. Scrunching her nose up, Ling decided to go for it. "I was also made aware of... ah, your other occupation." She put some heavy emphasis on the word 'other'. The phone lines weren't always reliable to be private. "You agreed to see a client on Saturday. I didn't catch his name, but he was a larger sort, with beady, piggly eyes." The young woman winced, remembering. How that fellow could be good sport, she had no idea. Everything about him indicated he was less than kind, probably an entitled little brat.

Putting her socked feet up on the coffee table, Ling wrapped up her explanation. "We agreed to a partnership of sorts — information in exchange for payment: monetary, food, a place to crash, a hot bath, whatever you require at that moment. I also extended an offer of friendship, if you so desired. Are these conditions still acceptable to you? I can't even begin to imagine how disconcerting this conversation must be, so please tell me where to go from here."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 19, 2012 1:12:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 19, 2012 1:12:18 GMT -6

"Oh," said Hyuk-jae, voice soft. Well, that was easier than usual — at least Ling knew about the epilepsy already. It was no wonder he'd had such a large seizure this last time if he'd had a smaller one while he was with her. He rubbed the back of his neck, waiting while she talked.

I treated you to lunch at Narook's Seaweed Noodlery

Well, that probably hadn't helped. Hyuk-jae wondered if he had been hungry and stupid enough to eat something with a lot of carbohydrates and stuff in it... the answer was most likely yes. He'd probably thrown the diet all off, which helped explain why he felt so jacked up and why the fit had been so massive this past time.

He was just making a note on the paper that had her address and number on it — mostly just to add her name — when her next sentence almost made him drop the pen entirely.

"I was also made aware of... ah, your other occupation."

"Shut the front door," he gasped, face suddenly burning. The shopkeeper watched him with renewed interested. Who COULD he be on the 'phone with? "I--"

"You agreed to see a client on Saturday. I didn't catch his name, but he was a larger sort, with beady, piggly eyes."

Obviously the day he'd met up with this girl had been just... awful, in all kinds of ways. Small fits, breaking his diet, seeing a 'patron' somewhere while he was obviously out in her company... Hyuk-jae needed a minute before he let out the breath he'd been holding. Idly he wondered if sheer panic and mortification could transmit through a telephone line. "Dae-ho," the young man murmured, yanking hard on his earrings. "I'm sure it was him. Th-- thank you." He would've been in trouble if he hadn't shown up. That man in particular seemed to enjoy hurting him sometimes, and Hyuk-jae didn't like to give him excuses.

"We agreed to a partnership of sorts — information in exchange for payment... are these conditions still acceptable to you?"

"Y-yes ma'am," he said, the manners from his parents kicking in, as usual. If he had entered into an agreement with this woman he would certainly not back down from it now. "Is — did you give me any specific thing to watch for?" Or did she just want information in general? If he had a topic or something, it might change where he went. Or did she just want him to hang out in criminal areas and pass along whatever he heard?

"I can't even begin to imagine how disconcerting this conversation must be, so please tell me where to go from here."

Hyuk-jae waved a hand in a conciliatory gesture, even though she couldn't see him. "Oh no, it's fine. I'm so sorry. I'm sure I've interrupted your day long enough. I'm sorry to bother you. I've taken notes so — this won't happen again, all right?" He paused.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 19, 2012 1:12:51 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 20, 2012 1:37:50 GMT -6

Ma'am? Ling pulled her ear away from the hand piece to look at it in wonderment. No one had ever called her ma'am before. She wasn't entirely sure if she was offended; her mother was a "ma'am", surely, but not her. Then again, Hyuk-jae probably didn't even remember what she looked like! Smoothing her ruffled feathers, the young woman returned to the conversation.

"I'm not entirely sure if we can discuss these matters over the phone," she said slowly. "Information is power, and there are some people keen on keeping their power. Tell you what, why don't we meet up somewhere. Have you---Er, could you hold for a moment please?" In the background, Shi'ren was calling for her, loud enough that she was sure Hyuk-jae could hear it on his end. "COMING!" she yelled back, turning her face from the receiver. Quickly she put down the phone and went to her mother's room. Shi'ren was in bed, looking a little pale. She motioned to her daughter, who was instantly at her side; Shi'ren whispered something in Ling's ear, and the woman nodded in understanding. "I'll do that. You just rest, okay?" With a small smile, she kissed her mother on the forehead, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear as she did. "I'll be back in a little while, and Mei should be home from the restaurant soon. I don't think she works at the clinic today." Shi'ren waved her off with a gentle smile, and Ling tip-toed back out of the room.

She sat back down on the sofa and picked up the phone. "Sorry about that! Where were we?" Ling ran through the conversation in her head. "Ah, yes. Have you eaten today? If not, we should meet up somewhere. I need to pick up something for my mother anyway, and just got home from work so I could use a little something-something."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 20, 2012 2:54:30 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 20, 2012 2:10:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 20, 2012 2:10:38 GMT -6

"I'm not entirely sure if we can discuss these matters over the phone."

Ah, right. She was likely correct about that — they should be careful over the phone. Lines weren't private. Trying to figure out what to do, Hyuk-jae chewed on his lower lip. He couldn't ask her to come to his place. It was an embarrassing run-down mess of an apartment, filled with too many people. And he knew she'd just pity him if she knew he slept in the closet.

"Ah, yes. Have you eaten today? If not, we should meet up somewhere."

Eating. He could see that this was going to get complicated. "That's fine, but —" Twirling the cord of the phone around a finger, Hyuk-jae paused, trying to think of how to explain. "I — I can't eat any starchy things, okay?" Tapping the toes of one booted foot on the floor, he leaned on the wall. "The fits are worse if I don't eat a certain way... I must have been so hungry before that I didn't make good choices. No noodles, or starchy vegetables, or... really, it's easiest if I just eat meat. Or something. But —" he waved a hand again, talking with gestures even though she couldn't see him. "— you don't have to feed me. I'm fine. Really. We'll just, don't worry about that."

"I need to pick up something for my mother anyway, and just got home from work so I could use a little something-something."

"Okay," he said, "just... meet me on the corner of Larkspur Lane and Sixteenth street, okay? I need —" he looked down at himself. Ugh. "Uh, like, twenty minutes." The shopkeeper was waving at him to get off the phone. "I hope your mother is okay. And I have to go. I'll see you soon. Okay. Bye."

Hyuk-jae managed to slip out of the shop without getting entangled in a conversation with the shopkeeper. Going back home, he washed his face with the cold water that came out of the tap. The water didn't run hot in their block of apartments, little surprise. He still felt a little off, but mostly, he felt fine. Hyuk-jae didn't own that many pairs of clothes — he had two shirts, one pair of trousers, a vest, the boots, one sweater, and a winter coat — but he felt it necessary to change at least a little. Pulling his mostly-white shirt off over his head, he washed it in the sink and hung it up to dry before putting a nearly identical one on in its place. This shirt had patches at the elbows and was a little more ivory now than white, but it was clean. Black vest, same black trousers, same boots.

There was nothing to be done for his hair, but that was fine. He didn't care that much. The red leather bracelet stayed in place around his wrist and the silver earrings never came out — he almost always looked the same. Bringing along his pen and a scrap of paper, just in case, Hyuk-jae made his way to the street corner he'd named. He had no idea who he was looking for.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 1:28:58 GMT -6

Ling scribbled down the street name on the notepad that always lay on the coffee table. "Larkspur and Sixteenth," she echoed, nodding despite the lack of visual contact. "Twenty minutes sounds good. See you then, thanks for calling!" The young woman hung up the phone and blew a strand of hair out of her face. She didn't so much feel sorry for Hyuk-jae as she did ... protective. He was young, and his fits seemed to be a terrible, terrible thing. Having no one he could turn to for help, no one he could trust-—-! That was possibly one of the most terrible things she had heard. Ling couldn't imagine not being able to trust her family, or Katsumi. Hyuk-jae needed a friend —- everyone needed a friend —- at the very least, and she'd be damned if she didn't do her best.

With a sigh, Ling picked up her muddy boots and tossed them outside, then grabbed the mop and a towel and cleaned up the entry way, drying it off to make sure Mei or Ma-ma wouldn't slip. She dumped her work clothes in a wooden tub of water, then hopped in the shower. She bathed quickly, washing the dirt and grime from her hair and body efficiently, and was out of the bath after no more than ten minutes. She bound her breasts, slipped on a clean shirt, a vest, and, after strapping her daggers to her legs, some pants that ended just below the knee. Pulling on clean socks and her "regular" shoes, the young woman stared at her reflection in the mirror in moderate approval. She brushed her wet hair back into a ponytail at the base of her skull, the two short cowlicks at the top of her head mocking her. With a resigned sigh, Ling tucked the two locks of her hair on either side of her face behind their respective ears, gargled, and headed out the door.

She was halfway down the steps when she remembered she ought to leave a note for Mei, just in case she came home from lunch before she could take her some. Taking the steps back up two at a time, she hastily scrawled on the coffee-table paper:

Mei,
Meeting that contact I told you about, that Hyuk-jae fellow.
Dunno when I'll be back. If you come home and read this & I didn't bring you lunch at work, call the shop and leave me a message, okay? Ma-ma also asked me to run an errand. You might want to look in on her, she's not feeling well again.

All my love,
Ling

Putting the pen down, Ling glanced at her watch. Shoot, only a few minutes left. She ran down the steps as fast as she could without being reckless, and tried to hail a cab quickly. After a minute of waving her arm around, one finally stopped for her, and she climbed in. "Larkspur and Sixteenth, please," she said. "Please hurry."

...Maybe she shouldn't have asked the driver to hurry. Ling put her head between her knees as the cab bumped and bounced along the street. Drat these things. It's a good thing she hadn't eaten, or she'd be tasting it a second time. After what seemed like a nauseating eternity, the cab stopped. She opened the cab door slowly, handing the driver the amount he requested. No sooner had both feet touched the ground and the door shut, the driver was off again. The freckled woman shook her head. Cabs were pretty awful, even if they were convenient.

Glancing at her watch, she was relieved to see she wasn't quite late yet. Ling scanned the intersection, her grey-blue eyes sharp. When she saw him, her face broke into a gappy-toothed grin. "Hyuk-jae!" she called out, waving her arm to get his attention.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 1:41:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 1:41:49 GMT -6

It was nerve-wracking, trying to meet up with someone he couldn't remember. Hyuk-jae was easily spotted, so tall and thin, leaning against the wall and watching all the people. He heard his name and looked in the direction the sound had come from. This very short person? This was the girl?

She almost looked like a boy! Not that Hyuk-jae was one to talk. People said he looked very feminine all the time, and they were sort of right. He tossed his head to move his hair from his eyes. Unlike before, he wore no cap, just the shiny blue-black of his hair. After a large seizure like the one he'd had and the subsequent days of sleep required, he always looked a bit... worn. The Firebender was always thin and tall, but he had darker circles beneath his eyes than before, and the orange was somewhat glassy. He looked like he needed a bath, three months of sleep, and about twenty pounds of weight-gain. Pushing away from the wall with one foot, he came towards her, hands in pockets.

"I guess you're Ling," he said. "I'm so sorry about this." Hyuk-jae looked embarrassed, slanted orange eyes not quite staying on her face. He rubbed an upper arm with one hand. "I... we can go wherever you like. As I said, you really don't have to worry about me." He knew he was too much a hassle to be bothered with, especially if she was hungry and had an errand to run.

"Did you... need to go somewhere for your mother?" he asked. "If you'd like to, we can do that first." What else could he say? He couldn't remember the girl's temperament, and didn't know how she reacted to things. He didn't know how to talk to her.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 4:33:31 GMT -6

"You look terrible," Ling told Hyuk-jae cheerfully, her tone easygoing but her eyes full of concern. "Don't be sorry, okay?" she told him flatly. "Even if your diet helps you, there's no stopping it completely, right? It's not your fault, don't let anyone tell you otherwise." The freckled girl paused, looking up at Hyuk-jae and tilting your head to the side. "I'm sorry," she said, her voice completely serious. "Am I making you uncomfortable again?" She frowned and took a step back, holding up her hands in a peaceful gesture. "I'm probably rushing into this, right?" Ling winced inwardly at how blunt she sounded. She wished that she had Mei's talent for words.

"If I push my boundaries, let me know, okay? And don't worry — I won't yell. I promise." She tried to smile comfortingly, but she wasn't sure if she pulled it off. How did one smile in a comforting fashion, exactly? How was it different from a regular smile? Ugh, this was not her forte. With a flourish, Ling gestured down the sidewalk. "Shall we?" she asked, before starting down the walkway at a leisurely pace.

When Hyuk-jae joined her, Ling dropped her voice, speaking as softly as she could without whispering. She had learned long ago that whispering carried more than a low voice, for some reason. "Last time we met, there was a headline in the paper about some stolen spice cargo." She fished around in her vest and pants pocket, hoping she hadn't left the article clipping in her jacket — which was at home. Fortune smiled on her, and she pulled a couple of wrinkled pieces of paper out of her breast pocket. Unfolding them carefully, she passed it on to Hyuk-jae, the headline SPICE SHIPMENT MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARS face up in bold print. "I asked you if you knew anything, and you told me to ask around for a man called 'Lee the Gentle'." Ling paused, looking up and down the blocks, before making a left.

She continued. "I work part-time at the Docks, doing odd jobs and just generally keeping an ear out for gossip and news. I asked around about this guy, but no one has a clear answer. Is there any chance you remember anything else? If not, it's okay — please don't feel pressured!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 9:30:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 9:30:47 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae was quiet. As Ling told him he looked terrible, he smiled, eyes sad. "I know," he said. The rest of her words were... a little shocking, to tell the truth. He knew, rationally, that his condition wasn't anyone's fault. It was just the luck of the draw, he'd been born this way. But that honestly didn't make him feel better most of the time, and definitely not when he was just a few days post-seizure and still waking up with his roommates telling him that if he caught anything else on fire, they were kicking him out.

"I'm sorry, am I making you uncomfortable again?"

She was worried about making him uncomfortable? His eyes widened with surprise, lashes standing out dark against his pale skin. "I — it's fine," he insisted, not used to having anyone be concerned about his comfort level. Hyuk-jae honestly didn't think anyone had ever asked him about pushing his boundaries. Even his parents had merely given him instructions and expected him to follow, not trusting him to make his own decisions about anything.

As she went on about what they'd spoken of and showed him the headline, he nodded. He remembered hearing about that heist from — ah, and he'd told her. Lee the Gentle. Gosh, he didn't even remember that headline. He must've lost an entire day.

"I asked around about this guy, but no one has a clear answer. Is there any chance you remember anything else? If not, it's okay — please don't feel pressured!"

"Oh," said Hyuk-jae. He paused. He really didn't want to take her to meet Lee, because then the man would likely be inappropriate with him in front of her... Lee wasn't really Gentle, and Hyuk-jae had no idea why he was called that. To be fair, with him, Lee tended to be much nicer than he was with other people, and he'd offered more than once to 'keep' Hyuk-jae if he wanted.

But the Firebender didn't want to be anyone's pet.

"Well..." Hyuk-jae worried his lower lip in his teeth. "He plays cards at the Wooden Eye on Thursdays. I can take you meet him if you don't think you can handle that, but I —" really don't want to "— I'm not sure how much you'd get out of him if I was there."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 22:10:31 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae looked shocked at her consideration, and once again Ling had to wonder why on earth such a seemingly nice, shy person was treated so badly he couldn't fathom basic human interaction. Whatever his personal life was, it had to be all sorts of messed up. Impulsive as ever, she almost told him to come live with her and Mei, but then thought better of it. They really didn't have the room, as much as she hated to say it, and he'd hardly be better off cramped with three women in a small, three-bedroom apartment. By sheer numbers, it sounded lavish, but their rooms were definitely made as compact as possible.

At the mention of the Wooden Eye, Ling blanched. She had never set foot in there, herself, but based on the street talk it wasn't exactly a place she'd want to go. The Golden Fan had its share of brawls, but for the most part they were drunken and usually good natured. Everyone forgot about their fights — either literally or figuratively — upon their next visit anyway, and just had a good time.

But the Wooden Eye was, by all accounts, a lot more insidious. They played for keeps there, and Ling was not eager to bandy crooked words with someone who would likely shank her, no questions asked, if they so much as suspected a con.

The question was, though, could she handle it? Ling chewed her lip as she thought. Possibly, she could get away on a silver tongue, Katsumi's flirting, and Mei's innocence. But the risk —- she wasn't about to lose that bet with Iluak; a fist to the face was not her idea of a good time.

"You don't really seem to want to accompany me, though," said Ling perceptively. "Tell me about the building itself, his usual table, and the kinds of folks that surround him instead."

Suddenly, Ling stopped in front of a store. It sold nothing but chocolates. She motioned for Hyuk-jae to follow her as she browsed through their selection. Ma-ma had asked for an assortment of chocolate, and Ling figured she'd buy some for Mei too.

"Can you have this?" she asked Hyuk-jae. It'd be rude not to offer.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 23:38:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 23:38:19 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae saw the look on the girl’s at the very mention of the Wooden Eye and sighed. He’d known that she wouldn’t like the idea of that place one bit – and with good reason. A guy could look all over Republic City and never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. People didn’t joke about anything at the Eye and unless one had connections, it was risky business rolling up without a plan.

"You don't really seem to want to accompany me, though.”

Well score one for Ling Yao. Of course he wasn’t eager to accompany her there! But he could, and he was likely to be much less trouble there than anywhere else. Lee the Gentle might not talk, that was the only problem. While the man was strangely talkative and comfortable with Hyuk-jae, the Firebender was aware that Lee never let anything slip when playing cards or handling other more dangerous pursuits.

"Tell me about the building itself, his usual table, and the kinds of folks that surround him instead."

Running a hand through inky hair, Hyuk-jae looked at the people around them for a moment before answering her. “It’s… Lee plays on the upper deck. You’d need to be really good with words if you wanted to get up there easy. I can go with you. He plays the red table in the back and there’s always at least one hired hand with him.” Well, almost always. Not in the bedroom. Hyuk-jae had spent plenty of alone time with Lee, who in turn had helped him pay his rent countless times. Who knew why, but the bastard had a bit of a soft spot for him... he thought. Lee the Gentle often got in touch with him to see how he was, which Hyuk-jae thought strange. A soft spot. Soft enough not to hurt him, anyway. Much.

"Can you have this?"

He couldn’t remember the last time he’d eaten something sweet. “I can’t,” he said softly, “but thank you.” Rubbing his upper arm, he waited while she picked sweets. The thought of going to see Lee so soon after the last time made his stomach curl into knots. Even with his help, Ling would have to be really careful not to make it obvious that she was there for information. They’d have to come up with a reason for her to come in with Hyuk-jae. His going to see the man wasn’t noteworthy, but bringing someone else?

Well, it hadn’t ever happened before.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 24, 2012 2:47:41 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2012 4:07:52 GMT -6

Ling frowned sadly when Hyuk-jae refused the chocolate. "This diet of yours... it's kind of the pits, isn't it?" She stared at the chocolate bins almost as if she were willing them to be magically acceptable for her companion to eat. When they failed to heed her command, she sighed and picked up a heart-shaped box, selecting her mother's favourite bonbon types and arranging them neatly in the provided little accordion-crimped paper "cups". She selected a matching lid with a purple ribbon, then repeated the process, this time with Mei's favourites, and selected a matching lid with a light blue ribbon. After a pause, repeated the process a third time with an assortment of random chocolates for Katsumi, and selected a lid with a pink ribbon. Lastly, she got a small baggie of chocolates in a plain paper bag for herself and made her way up to the shopkeep, who smiled at her and quoted a price.

Fishing the money out of her pocket, Ling requested a larger bag for her purchases and was obliged. With a bow and murmured thanks, the freckled woman rejoined Hyuk-jae and motioned for them to step outside. Once he had joined her, she led the way to their next destination: her lunch.

"I know a great skewer-and-noodle place," she said smiling. "Noodles are optional; you said you can eat meat, right?" Carefully, she walked through the throngs of people, hands jammed casually in her pockets. Recalling their earlier conversation, the freckled girl shrugged. "I'm a decently good card player," Ling said modestly — and she was. Her bluffs were fantastic, even without her and Katsumi's system. "Remember how I said my sister and I started a detective agency? Most of the money to sponsor it came from my thrice-weekly card games."

Steering Hyuk-jae around some amorphous animal deposit, the freckled girl continued. "You wouldn't need to come along, if you didn't want to. No matter what the place, card players can never resist a bet — or a wide-eyed innocent girl looking to play." To demonstrate, Ling pulled her hair free from its bonds, fluffing it and widening her eyes. When her hair was down, she looked like a mid- to late- teen girl, one of those "late bloomer" kinds. She smiled just a little bit, only allowing the corners of her mouth to turn up. She batted her eyelashes prettily at Hyuk-jae, throwing her shoulders back, raising an index finger to her lips, winking, and tilting her head cutely.

Then just like that, the illusion was broken as Ling rolled her grey-blue eyes and swept her hair back again. "I hate doing that," she muttered, "but sometimes, you gotta act the part." Spotting a familiar sign up ahead, Ling gestured that they were nearing their destination. "That's it up there," she said. "If you want to try their all-meat skewers, please feel free — it's on me. However much you need to feel full." Ling realised she didn't know what had happened after his fit. He didn't remember anything — had he been walking around in a daze? Or had he been passed out for two or three days? If the latter was true then the last time he ate was likely the meal he had at Narook's with her. Inwardly, she scowled. She was desperate to help him, but knew it would be a delicate matter.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 25, 2012 14:44:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 25, 2012 14:44:12 GMT -6

"I don't really remember the last time I was allowed to eat something like that," said Hyuk-jae in what he hoped was a soothing manner, "so I don't really know what I'm missing. It's okay." He watched her pick and choose among the chocolates, making cute little gifts for people. It seemed like such a nice thing to do. The whole shop smelled incredible — sweet, smooth, rich. He wondered if it tasted as good as it smelled.

"I know a great skewer-and-noodle place. Noodles are optional; you said you can eat meat, right?"

"Yes ma'am, but I also said you don't have to feed me." It was as if the two words were connected, the way they tumbled out of his mouth together! Even though Ling didn't look like a "ma'am" that much, he still had to be polite to her. Right? He thought he had been clear over the 'phone that she wasn't obligated to feed him at all. He didn't want to feel beholden to her in any way.

"I'm a decently good card player. Remember how I said my sister and I started a detective agency? Most of the money to sponsor it came from my thrice-weekly card games."

"I'm sure you are," he said, "but —" Hyuk-jae was strangely disturbed by the sparkling-eyed girly look she presented him with. He didn't like it on her — it seemed so out of place! He stared for a moment, about to tell her to stop doing it when she put her hair back up. "Oh, thank you," he said quickly. "It's weird and creepy. I'm sure it works, but still." Weird and creepy. She seemed like such a boyish, straight-talking girl. Did she secretly own a fluffy white dress, too?

Bizarre.

"But — being cute won't work on Lee the Gentle," Hyuk-jae said softly, "because you're not a boy and he doesn't play with people randomly. It's hard to get to the upper deck on your first day. Some of the people who play at the Eye are... pretty serious." He followed to her to this food establishment, where she insisted yet again that he eat something. Feeling a little frustrated and unsure, Hyuk-jae ran a hand through his hair.

"Why are you doing this?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 9:23:54 GMT -6

Ling laughed. "Because I'm not a boy?" she echoed. "Well thank goodness for that. Pretending to like boys isn't exactly my cup of tea either." She winked. "Much more into the ladies, personally." And it was true. Sure, she'd had her romp in the hay with some men, and generally speaking it was relatively enjoyable. But that was that, and attraction was something else entirely. Before she met Raeya, she had contemplated asking Katsumi. Her friend was beautiful, and they had a good time flirting with each other, but Ling hadn't been too sure if it went past flirting. Not to mention she didn't want to make a wonderful friendship — and partnership — extremely awkward.

Hyuk-jae said her 'girly' look was weird and creepy, and the freckled woman laughed again. "Is it?" she grinned, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "It gets me by, generally. But I'm sure it is odd if you've talked to me a little. It's very unnatural on my end, at the very least."

Why are you doing this?

Turning to face him, Ling's face was solemn, the playful glint in her eyes gone. "Because you deserve better," she said simply. Jamming her hands in her pockets, she gestured with a nod of her head to move away from the door way. The dark-haired girl leaned up against the building exterior, crossing her ankles casually. "I'll be honest here. Some of it is pity. Not in that patronising, 'I'm-better-than-you' sort of way, but more like I hate seeing people in trouble." She gestured, referencing his body. "Look at you. You're not well, what with your fits, and you don't have meals regular-like. Don't think I haven't noticed that you get beat up, too. You flinch entirely too much at yelling."

Light grey eyes met orange, and Ling smiled a little. "Helping you is right," she told the young man. "It's not about you owing me a debt, or me getting my rocks off being in a position to help. It's just what decent people do: help those who need it. And try as you might to hide it, I know you ain't in a good place." The pale woman sighed. "You don't have to take the food if you don't want to. I'm sure you've had your share of nosey strangers 'helping you'—" she made quotation marks with her fingers in the air "--and telling you what's good for you and what you Need to Do and How to Be and whatever. But it's there if you want it. All you have to do is ask. Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but whenever you want to accept my help, it'll be here." Not to mention Mei would kick my arse from here to the Poles if I didn't try my darnedest to help, Ling added silently.

She shrugged, pushing herself off the wall with a casual fluidity. "Let's go in, yeah?" Leading the way, Ling pushed open the door to the somewhat busy restaurant. They were greeted with a warm "Welcome!" from all the cooks and workers, as well as the mouth-watering aroma of roasting meats and spices. Her stomach growled; hopefully, this would nudge Hyuk-jae into wanting something to eat.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 30, 2012 18:25:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 30, 2012 18:25:25 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae smiled a little. Of course she was into girls — he wouldn't expect anything less from her... but her answer as to why she wanted to help him was frankly astonishing. He was sure it showed on his face, because he had no reason to hide it from her.

"Look at you. You're not well, what with your fits, and you don't have meals regular-like."

Look at him? What was that supposed to mean? Hyuk-jae knew he was reasonably attractive! Some people said 'pretty', even! "I've always been skinny!" he protested, a little annoyed. His father was thin and tall, too, and his mother was a slight woman. Even if he ate three square meals a day, he'd still be skinny! Well, probably not as thin as he was. That was fair. He was a bit waif-like, especially for being so tall. But hey, it made him good money sometimes.

"Don't think I haven't noticed that you get beat up, too. You flinch entirely too much at yelling."

Oh, please. That was just Mr. Gil. No way around it, and it wasn't a big deal. Violent clients were something else, but usually they followed ground rules. So... Hyuk-jae just didn't like yelling. He didn't like most loud noises. "I don't like loud noises," he said, "it's got nothing to do with anything else." As for the rest of her talking... he didn't know what to say. His parents had always kept him out of public and tried their best to make him aware that he was responsible for himself and for keeping other people safe. He wanted to depend on himself, even if it meant he had to do crap work and put up with a lot of ... pain from other people to do it.

At the same time, he was also used to making other people happy. She obviously really, really wanted to feed him. As they entered the shop, he sighed. Hyuk-jae stared at the meat, trying to figure out what he could eat. The plainest thing was likely best. The cheapest was definitely best. He had a feeling that while she liked him now, she wouldn't like him so well if she saw a full fit, or the Firebending damage he could do. He'd had plenty of roommates who had liked him well enough in the beginning to know how quickly things could take a turn for the worst. Likely, he wouldn't have to appease her long before he would upset her, and then it wouldn't be an issue any more.

Hesitantly, he chose the plainest, smallest, cheapest meat option there was.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 20:10:15 GMT -6

She could feel her patience wearing thin, so she bit her lip to keep from talking. It was obvious Hyuk-jae was rationalising. Of course he couldn't see it though. She channelled her anger into the people who mistreated him instead. He had to be conditioned to be like this; it wasn't healthy. Spirits help his parents if she ever found them. She couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't be on the other end of her fist.

The waitstaff greeted her familiarly, throwing questioning glances at Hyuk-jae. Ling was usually alone, with her family, or another woman, so it was an unusual sight. The woman shook her head slightly, and ordered sukiyaki udon. It was by far her favourite dish. She also ordered some skewers on the side and asked to have two bowls of udon ready by the time she left. Hyuk-jae ordered the cheapest, plainest thing on the menu, and Ling plastered a smile on her face. Of course he did. He wasn't going to put her out, or incur what he viewed to be a debt. This was going to be a really long process, one that tried her patience to the extreme. Hopefully, some of Mei's fabled patience had rubbed off on her.

Not likely, though.

She leaned back in her chair as they waited for the food. "I want to be your friend, Hyuk-jae," Ling said bluntly, tired of padding around the issue. "You seem like a nice guy. I really don't find your health problems to be counter to that. When we talked last, you seemed a bit more open to the idea of a developing partnership — services in exchange for food, or shelter, or even a hot bath if you needed it. I know you don't remember that conversation, so let's start again, okay?"

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 30, 2012 23:27:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 30, 2012 23:27:35 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae sighed, toying with a water glass. "Okay," he said, trying to appease her. "I said I would take you to meet Lee." Didn't that count as services? He thought it did. After sitting quietly for a minute, he cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry," Hyuk-jae said, "I'm really not trying to be difficult." He rubbed the back of his neck, the red bracelet sliding down his wrist a little. "It's just that I'm used to... well, I'm not used to just being friends with people." He laughed a little, knowing it was ridiculous. "I didn't go to school or anything, growing up. So I... didn't learn how to make friends when I was a kid." He'd mostly socialized with his parents. Hyuk-jae knew that he didn't know how to be friends with people the way that many others did.

When the food came he ate it slowly, again, as if he thought he wouldn't have anything similar for a long time. It was so much better than what he usually ate. Closing his eyes, Hyuk-jae just... tasted it for a moment. It was perfect. It might be plain but to him it was incredible. Like before, he ate very slowly, making sure he wouldn't get sick.

Glancing at Ling, he smiled. "Thank you," he said. "Really. I wouldn't mind being friends." But no matter what she said, she still didn't know everything — about the fits, the Firebending. It was really the Firebending that was the game changer. It always was.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 2, 2012 10:46:33 GMT -6

Ling grinned back, showing the gap between her two front teeth. "Great!" she said brightly. Finally they were getting somewhere. With a look like an owlcat who found a field mouse, the younger Yao sister slurped (as was customary) her udon. Hyuk-jae was savouring his meal. The thought pained her, just a little, that something so plain and simple was so wonderful to him. Mei would fix that. She made a mental note to introduce the two as soon as possible.

Chewing the noodles thoughtfully, Ling added a few green onions to the top of her bowl. So tasty. She waved her chopsticks a little, swallowed her mouthful, and addressed her companion again. "If we're going to be friends, we're going to have to work a little on trust." She added some fried panko to the top of her food. "I know it's not easy to trust someone you just 'met'" — she moved her chopsticks in a quoting motion — "so I won't ask you to trust in me completely just yet. But promise you'll work in it with me, yeah?"

She leaned forward and slurped up some more noodles. This was no Narook's, that was for sure, but sometimes she just wanted regular noodles rather than seaweed based ones. Talking around her bite, she picked up the conversation about Lee the Gentle. "So, this Lee person. How... close are you two?" Her brow arched a little, knowingly. "Can you lie to him?"

It was an important question. If they were going to get information out of Lee together, they would have to work flawlessly as a team — and they would have to lie. Ling was a dab old hand at that — betting games, her old gangster days — full of lies and liars and lying. The best lies were ones that were based in truth and said convincingly. If Hyuk-jae couldn't lie well, then they would have a lot of work to do.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2012 16:09:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2012 16:09:30 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae stared at Ling for just a moment. She was asking him to trust her with one breath, and asking him if he could lie with the next? That was a little unbelievable! As for the question itself, it was a bit tricky. Could he lie? Maybe. Would Lee see through it? Questionable. Did he want to? Not really.

"Let's get this straight," he said, pausing in his eating. "You expect me to trust you, but then you immediately start asking me if I can lie?" The young man rubbed at the back of his neck. It seemed somewhat ridiculous. He decided to eat a little before speaking more.

"Can I lie to Lee the Gentle? Yeah, I probably can. I'm not just real big on the whole telling of falsehoods, but I can." He sipped some water. "To be fair, that doesn't mean he wouldn't see right through it. But I've never lied to him before, so he has no reason not to trust me. Why do you think I need to lie to him? I can't just say you're my friend who likes to play cards?" He didn't see why he had to lie.

Hyuk-jae didn't consider not telling the whole truth the same as lying.