The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

BFF: Book Fiends Forever [tag: Byakko]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 13, 2012 1:25:09 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
This was wrong. Wasn't it? Ren glanced around the street, feeling grossly conspicuous in her scarlet and gold robes. Her prematurely grey hair was in a sloppy braid as usual, pen tucked behind her ear, fingers on her left hand stained with ink. No one was staring, at the very least, but that did little to relieve the anxious knots in her stomach.

She was out on another excursion to Republic City, slipping away from Air Temple Island without a word. Her heart hammered in her chest like it did when she was a child sneaking a snack before dinner. Not that there were rules, exactly, about whether or not she could leave the Island. The pale woman knit her brows together. She couldn't remember ever being told she couldn't leave; she had just assumed, and always asked before doing so. It wasn't as if she was sneaking away, either, as the Island was... well, an island. There were regularly scheduled boat trips between the Island and the City, and she always left on the scheduled trips, but she still couldn't shake the feeling of wrongdoing even though no one had said anything.

Ren wandered the streets at a leisurely pace, stopping every so often to admire a store front, or smell some street food (there were so many stalls!); she stayed well out of the road, distrustful of Satomobile drivers and their often erratic ways. Eventually, a humble wooden sign caught her eye:

USED BOOK SALE
Used paperback books: 2 for 1 Yuan

Her eyes lit up and she entered the store, her heart soaring the way only books made it. It was a small shop, but there were books lining the walls to the ceiling, wrapping all the way around the store, on shelves, on piles on the floor, in wooden crates and metal bins. She bent down, stood up, bent down, keen on examining all the titles, taking in the wonderful scent of ageing paper. Her fingers ran tenderly along the book spines as she read the titles on the shelved books, ignoring that small voice in her head alerting her to the fact she was wandering into the non-sale priced literature.

Oblivious to the signs telling her what genre of the store she was in, Ren picked up a book with an unassuming cover. Omoi Tenoh. She read the author's name softly to herself before thumbing the pages open to a random section.

And nearly died. Her face flushing with heat, she shoved the book back on the shelf. Apparently, The Fire Lord's Spear was not a historical document on the Fire Lord's weaponry. She could hear the proprietor of the bookstore chortling to himself and felt her ears burn. But curiosity got the better of her. Trying her best to ignore the shopkeep's now open laughter, Ren attempted to maintain what dignity she had left as she opened Tenoh's novel from the beginning.

Soon, she was completely oblivious to her surroundings, completely engrossed in the (rather unlikely) novel. Anyone looking at her would've seen an extremely flushed face and wide eyes, almost as if in disbelief. Ren, for her part, was so wrapped up in Tenoh's words she wouldn't have noticed anything unless it tapped her on the shoulder and said 'Hello'.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 13, 2012 3:07:36 GMT -6
byakko
Jun 13, 2012 11:51:53 GMT -6

Post by byakko on Jun 13, 2012 11:51:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The door behind the shopkeep's counter opened, and then closed again behind Byakko. He looked down at himself and sighed, wiping the dust off his dark green duster. Then, he heard the middle-aged shop owner chuckling to himself. Taking a quick glance about the room, he spotted her; an air acolyte checking out a book in the 'Erotica' section.

Something about her instantly caught his interest, a rare occurrence for the perpetually melancholic young man. It wasn't her profession, he had seen many acolytes visit shops such as this while on errands and such. Was it her choice of literature? Her rather large size? The way she seemed so completely drawn in to the story? Lacking the social graces to think it might be rude, he stared as he considered the woman. Luckily, she seemed too distracted to notice. Finally, Byakko decided he had to learn more about this person.

He made his way around the counter and toward the object of his fascination. Once close enough, he took a look at the cover. "Firelord's Spear, huh? Not bad. Got a bit of a story behind it, do you know?" He waited for a response, but she was too engrossed to hear him. He just gave a slight smile; this was obviously someone who genuinely knew how to enjoy a good book. Stepping around behind Ren, he tried reading over her shoulder to see where she was in the story. Unfortunately, her shoulders were a bit higher off the ground than the top of his head. He stood on the tips of his toes, leaned side to side, even hopped up and down to skim the pages. At this, the shopkeep burst out into laughter once more.

Eventually, Byakko reached up and tapped Ren's shoulder lightly. "Hello there. Good choice. People tend to look down on those kinds of books, but I like them. Are you a Tenoh fan?"
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 14, 2012 0:08:13 GMT -6

The novel flew up into the air in a flutter of pages, smacked the ceiling, and landed with a thud on the floor as Ren jumped at the sudden touch. She gasped, whirling around at the intrusion. "Oh!" A pale young man stood in front of her, his brown eyes quizzical. Unconsciously, the acolyte took a step back, her face beet-red and her heart pounding so hard she was sure he could hear it. She blinked her hazel eyes at him blankly for a few seconds, slightly slack-jawed, before realising what she had done with the book.

"Oh!" she said again, scrambling to pick the book up, hoping there were no bent pages from the landing. There was almost nothing more heinous in book-care than mangled pages.It was only slightly less worse than mangled spines from the book being laid to rest face-down and open. Luckily, the book had landed closed; she breathed a sigh of relief, picking up the novel and clutching it tightly. The shopkeep was doubled over with laughter, and Ren wished nothing more than for the floor to open up and swallow her whole. It'd be great if she were an Earthbender right about now.

She faced the young man again, her knuckles white as she gripped the book for comfort. "I... er..." He had asked her a question, hadn't he? Ren struggled to remember what he had asked, her brows knitting together with concentrated effort. "Oh!" As the sound escaped her lips for a third time, the woman wondered if they thought it was the only noise she knew how to make. "Oh-—" a fourth time. She cringed. "--Tenoh fan? N-no, not really." She glanced down at the novel she was holding, the title emblazoned on the cover with an embossed coloured inlay and flowery script. "I just... It.... I mean...."

Blast it. What could she say? "No, not a fan, I just thought that it was a historical document"? That sounded stupid, even in her head. The alternative wasn't much better. "I picked it up by accident and then I got hooked" was hardly the impression she wanted to make. Then again, considering she had just been caught reading the dratted thing, it may be too late.

"I'm Ren," she finally answered lamely, feeling like a fool.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 14, 2012 0:10:11 GMT -6
byakko
Jun 14, 2012 7:40:53 GMT -6

Post by byakko on Jun 14, 2012 7:40:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Byakko drew his lips into a small, tight line as the book went flying. His eyes were glued to the monk woman and he was at a loss as to how to react to this situation. When she composed herself enough to retrieve the fallen novel he dropped to a knee to help, but she was too fast for him. With another delayed reaction, he slowly drew himself back up to his full height and stared in Ren's general direction once more.

He watched as she stuttered and stammered and it was all he could do to hide his amusement. He felt a twinge of guilt at how adorable he found her distress, but he pushed that thought away and wondered how best to calm the girl down. The man curled his mouth into an unnatural, even grotesque smile in an attempt to put her at ease. As off-putting as the smile itself might have been, there was obviously no malice behind it, and his gentle eyes proved the sincerity of the gesture. "Sorry. Didn't mean to surprise you, miss."

The woman's introduction was short and simple, but at least she managed to pull together enough to form a complete sentence. Byakko bowed his head in greeting. "Nice to meet you, Ren. I'm Byakko. Would you mind speaking with me a while? I just finished my work for the day, and I could help you find some other books you might like. But if you'd prefer to be left alone, just let me know."

He reflexively folded his hands behind his back as he awaited a response, and his right leg bounced slightly up and down while his weight was shifted to the left one. He was not at all aware of his own impulsive fidgeting, or of the unease it might inspire in Ren.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 15, 2012 2:30:00 GMT -6

"H-hello..." Ren managed to squeak out, completely unnerved when Byakko bared his teeth. She took another involuntary step back. "No, I don't mind..." She pushed her glasses up by the nose piece, her other hand still clutching The Fire Lord's Spear. What on earth would he want to talk to her about? She smiled nervously, her glasses slipping back down the bridge of her nose. Byakko tapped his foot as he stood there; was he waiting for something? She bowed low, her head dropped down, hands clasped together by her knees. "I'm sorry!" she said, her husky voice quavering. "I don't know what I want!"

She straightened, gesturing to the sign outside with the book in hand. "I saw you were having a sale," she explained. "I just got carried away..." Ren made to slip The Fire Lord's Spear back into its spot in the book case, but then stopped short, wrestling with the great temptation to purchase the novel. She had never... you know... and it wasn't like she could talk to anyone about it considering her situation. Were books like this even allowed on the Island? Would she get in trouble? Furthermore, did she care? What would they do — kick her off the Island?

... she hoped not.

But! The acolyte whirled to face Byakko, her sloppy braid whipping around. She bent her head low, so she could look up into the shorter man's face. "D-do you have any books on... on...." Ren swallowed, her heart pounding. She hoped Byakko didn't ask too many questions; she tried to steel herself just in case. "... on genders?" Not that she expected any, but she couldn't help but hope that maybe — just maybe — there was someone else out there like her, that could help her be more comfortable in her own skin. Short of gender-bending, she couldn't see any way that her outside would ever match who she was inside.

OOC: Byakko is currently having some trouble getting online, so this thread is on hold.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 22, 2012 1:07:53 GMT -6