The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Soldier's Pride & Pride's Soldiers [Joychi]

Anonymous
Dec 28, 2009 17:41:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 28, 2009 17:41:11 GMT -6

First part.

Becoming a soldier is most certainly the most honorable thing I've done in my life up until now. As I had guessed when I got the idea, it really is the best way to abide by the Great Spirits' wishes. I had never had this much enthusiasm at helping people back when I was at the Temple. This is on a totally different level. We kept saying how life and death were meaningless in the name of the Spirits, but our lives were also meaningless while we were staying hidden in a mountain range, and so close to a military base. So much willpower inside our hearts, wasted in prayers when we're longing for movement. What were all those trainings and teachings meant to be used for, since we never left our home ? Worshipping the Spirits and preaching honor and faith... I have never looked down on the Temple's way, and I never will. But the life of a monk is not enough. It was not enough...

However, was the way I became a soldier that honorable ? I had never meant to disrespect my teachings, or the military system. At that time, I thought the spirits themselves had allowed that Captain to mistake me for his Lance Corporal, and let him order me to put a proper uniform on. Should I have told him the truth ? That I was actually a 17 year-old runaway monk ? I just didn't want to leave him in confusion, as he thought I was older than I truly was. I would have admitted right away... if only there hadn't been this Fire Nation raid on the nearby town. The first time I experienced the heat of battle, one that I shall remember forever. It really did seem like the spirits had made it that way. That Captain hadn't made that mistake for nothing, I was meant to be part of this battle. The Earth Kingdom soldiers might not have made it all in one piece if it hadn't been for me and my knowledge of fighting. That was the beginning of my long journey around the world.

But what came afterwards was a lot less enjoyable... I still remember the shame I felt at that time, when word came that the actual Lance Corporal had deserted. Despite the shame I felt for having lied this way, and also for having been found out as if I was the one at fault, I didn't feel like I had done anything wrong. Only a few months later did I learn that I could have been jailed for having posed as a soldier. And now that I think of it, it's totally what would have happened if that blessed Captain hadn't decided to keep it between us - that's to say he, the Staff Sergeant who had given him the word, and me. That Staff Sergeant never liked me after that, by the way. Good thing a few months later, after a few battles to secure that West, we all got promoted. I think the Captain - having become a Major - had slightly gone past his power when he made me, the new recruit, a Sergeant - after the Staff Sergeant himself, who'd ordered me around during all those battles, became a Lieutenant. The chain of command had been kept, and I was now directly under the Lieutenant's orders. Only now I would have to give orders myself.

Man, if that wasn't a gentle nudge from the spirits, then that Captain was just crazy. There was no reason to think as such, though, as I was able to do good work as a Sergeant. Maybe that's the reason the Lieutenant stopped being so hard on me afterwards. Our dear Major had been assigned to another regiment, but the Lieutenant was taking care of us with such pride. Our actions were not decided lightly, and he was acting righteously, just the way I needed it. Carrying away his orders were an honor. His disappearance was really a great lost. The men never said anything about it, since they didn't know if he was dead themselves. That's the day I decided I'd leave them for a while. Besides, Gokko wasn't feeling easy around them - and neither did they around him. I think it was around that time that the incident in Omashu occured, shortly after the Fire Nation invaded it. Although trying to destroy Fire Lord Ozai's statue wasn't what I'd call an incident. The Fire Nation, on the other hand, called it terrorism, and locked me up. And it was after my daring escape - thanks to Gokko - that they dubbed me the Black Earth Spirit. I hope the Great Spirits never blamed me for being dubbed a spirit as well... My fellow soldiers never knew about this, despite the fact that I cale back to them with no uniform. That reminds me, it was also the second time I changed uniforms.

Those were fun times.
This user is a former member