The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Future Characters

trakada
Aug 18, 2010 3:50:35 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 18, 2010 3:50:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Would this be the proper place to discuss future/Work-In-Progress RP characters and get advice and feedback? It seemed like the most logical location, but please move it if that I was wrong...

So I have a couple of ideas for future characters I'd love to get some feedback on.

One is a 16-year-old non-bender Fire Nation loyalist I discussed a little bit with Ty Lee over PM. I don't have a lot on him yet other than that he fights mainly with Sai and has a sort of Peter-Parker-esque wisecracking attitude. I thought about possibly making him a bandit or a former bandit, but I'd actually like to keep him on the good side of the law in the Fire Nation for RP purposes. Anyway, I'm at a bit of a writer's block and where I want him to fit into all of this isn't quite "popping" as easily as it did with Trakada, so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Looking farther down the line and depending on how ambitious I'm feeling... I noticed that Hakoda isn't taken. He's easily one of my favorite characters in the show, and at some point after I've been here a while I think I might apply for him. If anyone who made it onto the canon team has any advice for me in that regard, I'd really appreciate it. :)
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 18, 2010 7:47:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 18, 2010 7:47:23 GMT -6

Shio Edit: I moved it to the RPG Discussion because it has to do with OC rather than canon characters, plus it's mainly about the RP.

As for the character that you had in mind. You could make a lot more reserved than Ty Lee is because at least there you have some awkwardness to play out should the two ever meet. Another idea that might not be too much fun, is to make him just another regular guy without fighting skills. That way, he could feel totally emasculated when he sees her fight. Then again, I think Ty Lee does that anyways.
This user is a former member
trakada
Aug 18, 2010 8:31:09 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 18, 2010 8:31:09 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
nobody Avatar
hen again, I think Ty Lee does that anyways.

XD
Yeah, I think that's pretty much right-on.

He'd definitely be more reserved than Ty Lee, but not so much as Mai. Assuming he ever gets a chance to hang out with the trio, I assumed he'd be more of a self-aware humor character rather than having most of his humor be driven just by his natural personality and attitude toward life. I'm struggling more with background than personality, though... I don't really envision him as a military guy, and I'm not sure what else a Fire Nation loyalist of his age and skill would be. *shrug*

Thanks for the move, by the way.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 18, 2010 9:57:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 18, 2010 9:57:03 GMT -6

Yeah, here is the hard part of character creation. For the most part, all of my character's have had a strange upbringing. So, when I made Akado, the one character I made to be a regular guy, it was hard to make a normal-ish type of person in this strange war-torn world. I know what you're going through there.

For your character, I would suggest making him buy into the typical Fire Nation propaganda, Fire Lord good, Avatar bad. At his age, he'd probably still believe that the war was a required necessity because now they can spread their innovation and prosperity with the other former Earth Kingdom. Also, since you want your character to be able to see Ty Lee, he's probably going to have to be a bit high up in the social class, well just enough to have entryway into the Caldera.

As for his history, the Fire Nation seems very close to our own lives. He would have probably gone to school-for what the show presents- up until his fourteenth birthday. I'd say just give him a regular, Fire Nation loving family, maybe he lost a brother or loved one in the war.
nemoknown
Aug 18, 2010 9:57:05 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 18, 2010 9:57:05 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I got two I'm working on, Aikoufu I discussed with Ty Lee...he's hopelessly in love with her, but probably has no chance in hell of ever fufilling his dream of having a relationship with her...like the millions of other guys that feel the same way, I just wanted to give one of those potential failure attempts a try.
This user is a guest
trakada
Aug 18, 2010 13:40:32 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 18, 2010 13:40:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
nobody Avatar
For your character, I would suggest making him buy into the typical Fire Nation propaganda, Fire Lord good, Avatar bad. At his age, he'd probably still believe that the war was a required necessity because now they can spread their innovation and prosperity with the other former Earth Kingdom.

Yeah, I suppose. It just seems so... I don't know, illogical. A:TLA has some amazing writing in it, but I feel like one of the things that never added up for me was the story the Firelord fed everyone and they actually bought it.

"Oh no, these Earth Kingdom guys are only fighting you to the death because we can't make them understand the fact that we just want to make their lives better."

In making an even semi-intelligent character, it seems counterintuitive to say that he or she actually believes that. Now, knowing it's B.S. and still siding with the Fire Nation because it's the winning side is another story with its own, more stable logic. So I might go with that. It's just a choice between a relatively amoral character or one that might be a good person, but is brainwashed to a sheep-like extent into believing a fact that would not make any sense to a person of average cognitive ability.

Hm. Well, at least difficult also equals fun and interesting in this case. :)
This user is a guest
trakada
Aug 18, 2010 13:50:43 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 18, 2010 13:50:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I don't want to bring the real world into things too much, but that was a slightly different scenario. It doesn't make it more right, or anything, but they did have a demonstratably evil guy on the other side in that case.

If the show had portrayed Ozai as creating lies about the evils perpetrated by the leaders of the Earth Kingdom, I would have found his propaganda a little more believable. But the way it seemed to me, the whole argument was "They're just a bunch of dumb bees that are stinging us because they don't understand why we're here." It just seems shakier than your average Historical Overblown Justification for a War (tm).
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 18, 2010 23:23:44 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
You seem to have gotten some good advice on your OC, but I have some for applying for a Canon Character. I would advise looking over the requirements, and then remembering the shows that Hakodo was in. There isn't many of them. You can assume a lot from watching how he is now, and watching his children. Don't be intimidated, though. I would actually like to have the gAang run into Hakoda, but I was nervous about that with there not being one haha. I'm not trying to pressure you if you don't want to know, merely stating a fact that you don't have to wait just because you're new. After all, Ty Lee applied for Ty Lee and got it, and she's new. :)
This user is Mod
ayumi
Aug 18, 2010 23:31:07 GMT -6

Post by ayumi on Aug 18, 2010 23:31:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ooo! You should go for Hakodo! Just do like Karena said! Also. Canons make you feel all special and happy! And I was brand new when I applied! ^^ I'll try and help you if you have any questions though Karena and Toph and my friend Joychi helped me the mostest when I applied! ^^
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 18, 2010 23:38:05 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Also, one more thing. A mistake that I've seen some people make with minor canons is not fleshing out the backstory enough. I'm not saying you have to do a play-by-play or anything, but we need to see that you know the reasons why they are the way they are. Some people have made the mistake of not making it up when they don't know it. Don't be afraid to make up somethings, as long as it's realistic in the realms of the world and the character. Besides, with as little as we know, you're entitled to some artistic license.
This user is Mod
trakada
Aug 19, 2010 12:04:40 GMT -6

Post by trakada on Aug 19, 2010 12:04:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, I'm glad to hear that you guys don't mind me making some things up. I actually went through and listed all of the episodes Hakoda appears in, and I'll be watching them before and during putting the application together. There is already a lot we can sort of infer from him based on who he chose to marry and things like that- I think I can do him justice, I just want to make sure I take the time to do it right.

Thanks for the support, all! I'm glad to hear there were already some plans to have him involved with some of the other canons. Just a question- where would he be at this point, exactly? I assume with his fleet, since the invasion hasn't happened yet?
This user is a guest
Last edit by trakada: Aug 19, 2010 12:05:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 19, 2010 12:07:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 19, 2010 12:07:36 GMT -6

That is indeed a good question, and would probably fall onto your shoulders to answer, should you get the character. We're pretty liberal, here on TARP, when it comes to canon character movements.

And it's good to hear that you got some help. :)

Post by Gia on Aug 19, 2010 14:57:13 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Shio's right, but I assume that he'd be with his fleet, because as you said, the invasion has happened yet. Ultimately, that's up to you, though.
This user is Mod