The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Smellerbee Application

kin
Feb 10, 2008 17:07:32 GMT -6

Post by kin on Feb 10, 2008 17:07:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Note: I'm not very good at prompts... ^^; I’ll change my name as soon as one of my profiles is accepted, same goes for attending the ever so fun RPG School.

The stripe-cheeked girl was perched high above the earth below on a thick brown branch. Smellerbee’s charcoal-outlined eyes peered below like a hawk, searching for her next prey. A single gloved hand kept balance on the sprig while her brown, knee-high boots provided the traction the keep herself on balance.
She was in her forest, where she had grown from a small, helpless girl to a dagger-wielding warrior. Every tree, bush, and river was known to the Freedom Fighter who had spent six of her fifteen years of life there.
But now wasn’t the time to dawdle on thoughts of the past, though. She had a mission from Jet, one of her most important tasks yet. Smellerbee was to single-handed take out a small group of low ranking Fire Nation soldiers; lately there had been an abnormally high amount of patrols in the area. That day each of the rebels were out among the trees surrounding their hideout; their leader had figured the number of lone Freedom Fighters spread out would lead to a better chance of taking down more patrols. When he had announced they would each be solo it had shaken Smellerbee. This would be her first mission alone, yet she was determined to prove her worth. Being the smallest and youngest, next to The Duke, of the core group she was often given advice and guff. She needed this moment to be a success.

Crrr. Crrr.
Ah, there they were. The sound of many pairs of boots on dried leaves was unmistakable to the girl. Though her shaggy brown mane fell over her ears, she still heard the patrol before sighting them. With a sly smile and a concentration of mind Smellerbee turned on her heel, still crouched, to face the direction the party was arriving from.
They looked like a young and nervous group of men, spears gripped tightly and with little facial hair. Their uniforms were mainly black with little red or embroidery, marking their low ranks. There were only three of them, easy enough. Though they were a pitiful bunch, sympathy dared not cross her mind. These were the people who had killed her family, burning their house to the ground. The flames of her home had been the last thing she remembered before she had crawled into nearby forest. There she had raised herself for three years, only leaving when a mop-headed boy had journeyed into her patch of woods. They had joined forces with a common interest to destroy the Fire Nation, both of their families death's fueling their rage. No, there was definately no sympathy for these men.
Smellerbee’s eyes followed the band as they neared her tree, and she allowed her rage to pump adrenaline through her veins.
Hate them!
20 feet away.
They killed your family!
10 feet away.
They destroyed your life.
5 feet.
They destroyed the lives of your friends.
One more step…
Kill them.

With a baleful scream the daggers woman allowed herself to fall from the branch and towards the decaying forest floor. As she dove from her 20 foot high perch she could see the soldiers stiffening in surprise and horror, and to her alarm this made the man she had aimed for’s spear stuck straight into the air with the tensing of his body.
“Mmph!” With a buoyant kick to the tree the Freedom Fighter’s path was altered, only several inches from her previous demise. Her agile form landed crouched like a cat upon the leaf littered ground with a soft crunch.
The girl’s head jerked towards the shock-frozen soldiers, her eyes glittering dangerously. In a smiling smirk she bared her teeth as she slowly drew two sharpened daggers from her belt.
“He’s armed!” Announced Mr. Obvious bluntly. The rest of the group remained silent and stiff, though the one that spoke angled his spear for battle. The red bracelet of metal holding the spearhead to the stick glittered in the sunlight seeping through the canopy above.
Smellerbee curled her lip (a trait acquired from a fellow Freedom Fighter, Sneers) and stared straight back into his wide, amber eyes.
“Congratulations, you’ve found the Freedom Fighters.” Retorted the warrior. So sad you won’t be able to make it back alive. The stripe-cheeked girl stood up straight and stepped forward, her daggers at ready and primed to take the lives of the soldiers.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kin: Feb 10, 2008 17:25:46 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Feb 11, 2008 20:30:05 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kin - Well, this was not a bad character application at all. You gave all the necessary elements, even the secret word - which was woven in quite nicely, by the way. They were not always in a lot of detail, but to me, it seemed enough. We do not know much about Smellerbee and her past except that she joined Jet, and that's she's a Freedom Fighter. You did some expansion on that, which was nice. This was an adequate sample, and you seem to have her personality down. I would advise going through the RPG School, though, to get some more experience playing her. Oh, and I saw some slight grammar errors, but nothing major. Good job.

This user is Mod
Last edit: Feb 11, 2008 20:31:54 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 12, 2008 13:25:42 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Looking over your post, I'd see that there's a lot of 'These' 'There' 'The' at the beginning of sentences. I'd shoot for a more creative way to start a sentence.

For example: They looked like a young and nervous group of men, spears gripped tightly and with little facial hair. Their uniforms were mainly black with little red or embroidery, marking their low ranks.

Instead, something like: Spears gripped tightly, eyes darting around - they were clearly nervous. Uniforms, plain in color and unadorned, coupled with little to no facial hair proved how green the soldiers really were.

A few grammar mistakes - the biggest one being after you end a quote, you capitalize the next letter. Actually, it should be "Blahblahblah," said So-and-So. The following word after a quote - if it's something like 'said', 'announced', 'shouted', etc, should not be capitalized.

Anyway. x_x Like Karena, I recommend you go through the RP School to get a better feel of Smellerbee after posting your exemption. It's a good start, and you worked with what you had. I did rather hope to see more on her introduction to the FF's (you could've made it up), how she met Jet, her feelings for her comrades - but this is very good, considering.

This user is Mod
Last edit: Feb 12, 2008 13:25:59 GMT -6
kin
Feb 16, 2008 12:53:49 GMT -6

Post by kin on Feb 16, 2008 12:53:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be sure to use it. I'm also planning on going to RPG school even if my exemption is accepted.

Doo doo doo doo
*waits patiently for final stamp (hopefully...)*
This user is a guest
Last edit by kin: Feb 16, 2008 12:54:44 GMT -6
yi
Feb 16, 2008 15:12:50 GMT -6

Post by yi on Feb 16, 2008 15:12:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Good characterization, given that we know so little about Smellerbee. Like the admins said, you should really look into a word processor to check for grammar and spelling errors. Sentence grouping could be worked on a bit more.

This topic has been locked and moved to the accepted Canon applications...

Please pm Katara (Jet) if you wish to get in on the Freedom Fighter Story Line....
This user is a guest
Last edit by kin: Feb 16, 2008 15:13:44 GMT -6