The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Bumi Application Thread ;)

Anonymous
Aug 9, 2010 8:01:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2010 8:01:22 GMT -6

OOC: Only a mad genius can take on a mad genius !! I have Toph's approval for this, of course *bows*

Another one of these bleak days in New Ozai. The mighty city - HIS mighty city - once extremely lively and populated, had become as quiet and empty as the mountain it used to be. The powerful king was not regretting the surrender of it all, because this method had not only prevented casualties among said people he governed, but also put a stop to any further destruction of his sacred kingdom. And even if all he got in return for this mighty sacrifice was being locked up in some metal coffin and hung to a chain in the middle of some building to prevent him from using bending, it would turn out to be worth it eventually. He didn’t know when or how, but Bumi knew it would.

He could never forget the day the Fire Nation decided to invade his home. They were bombing it with their flaming boulders from afar, trying to cause as much damage and as many casualties as possible before letting their swarms of soldier in and taking over by force. The captain of his guard had come to ask for orders, ready, as all his men were, to put his life on the line in order to defend his home. But Bumi knew better. Even though the first two Jings, attacking straightforward and retreating to fight back later, were the most obvious choices when faced with an invasion of such scale, and despite his whole army being ready to take the offensive, the king only had one answer to his captain.

I am going to do… nothing.

Of course, some might question what kind of wisdom was running through the laughing elder’s mind as he gave this answer. Looking in his right green eye slightly more open than the left, hearing his slightly mad laughter coming out of a mouth missing a few teeth, even just standing in front of this frail-looking old man wearing his purple extravagant robes and eccentric hat with two long feathers coming out, Captain Yan had every right to doubt a hundred years of wisdom all packed in this single sentence that cast surrender and defeat. Even more so since he did not get an explanation. But knowing he lived for a century plus a decade, mastered not only his natural bending discipline, but all 85 Jings that existed - or at the very least, gaining a very good knowledge of them - and reigned over this city for half a life, who could take this king’s stead and come up with a wiser solution ? No one. The only way to put a stop to this nasty game of ‘whack-a-mole’ that the Fire Nation was performing, was to follow Neutral Jing. Fighting back at the moment would only bring more disaster, Bumi knew it. Wait and listen before striking, this was the strategy…

He was hoping Aang had learnt this lesson. Last time they met, the Avatar was trying to save his long lost friend from the Fire Nation’s clutches, which would only put sticks through the wheels of this proceeding plan. He knew that Aang would most likely come look for him once he found out the city had been taken, if not to find the teacher then at least to find the friend. But just getting out of imprisonment wasn't enough since he could do it alone with his mastery of bending, he needed to take back the city. Neutral Jing was the way to do this, and Bumi was hoping he’d managed to teach this valuable lesson, not only to Aang, but especially to Momo. If they did, then hopefully Fire Lord Ozai would also get to witness the return of the Avatar with his own eyes very soon, and it would be his downfall. It might not have been a lot compared to the lemur, but Bumi hoped he’d accomplished something great for his young Airbender friend, with who he went way back a hundred years.

Before the war... A dearly missed time of peace between the four nations, during which there was no limit to the possibilities. Whenever Aang came to visit his friend Bumi, the two would go have fun on the dubbed superslide, occasionally ruining a cabbage or lettuce merchant stand during unfortunate accidents. When the news of the Air Nomads' wipeout reach Omashu, Bumi felt so much sadness and despair. He could only hope that his dear friend had safely survived someway - he was sure about it, knowing Aang's resourcefulness. Seeing him again the first time was like a blessing, and due to his nature the old king found nothing better to do than mess with him and his friends a bit...

And now he was hanging in the air, trapped in a metal coffin that only showed his face and the remaining fuzzy hair that crowned his head. At least they’d let him keep his Earthbender attire, as well as his gem rings. Despite this, the king was paying no mind to his situation, except maybe hoping this position would solve his back problems. Because wherever he was and no matter the situation, he was trying to open his eyes to the possibilities. Even when his white beard was itching a bit and he found himself in the inability to scratch it, instead of getting worked up over it, he took it a sign that his old bones and flesh were alive and well.

This little something he was waiting for to free himself and his kingdom, it sure was taking its time to show up. As far as he was concerned, it could be anything, ranging from outside help to the most supernatural occurrence he’d ever seen !! Of course, that was a bit of wishful thinking, but listening and waiting for this right moment was all he needed. For all he knew, his other friends might even come to his help. Maybe not old Iroh, given the few events that had occurred around him lately, nor Pakku who seemed to have a lot on his hands with the Water Tribes. But Jeong Jeong just might, and if Bumi was lucky, Piandao too ! Now, Bumi wasn’t sure whether having two Grand Lotuses by his side to take back this big city would be enough of a sign, but he could meditate on that, since it was all he could do. From time to time, he also wondered what had become of his friend Flopsie. He was certain it knew to take care of itself, but what kind of master didn’t care for their pet ?
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 9, 2010 10:16:47 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Aug 9, 2010 11:53:28 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Joychi - Technically, your post is well written - ie, there is no spelling or grammar mistakes that I can see, the post flows well, etc... You also seem to get the idea of Bumi. However, it doesn't feel like Bumi. This post seems very straight-forward and serious. Bumi was mad and crazy, and there's none of that in this post. I'm sorry, but I have to DENY your application. Feel free to try again if you want.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 9, 2010 12:03:03 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I'm afraid I have to echo Karena on this. Your writing has improved dramatically since you first started on TARP, and this post is a very clear indication of that! For that reason, I applaud you and am proud of your accomplishments. That said, Bumi has a twisted sort of logic; some would say it borders on insane — you got the feeling of kingliness, but I just didn't get the twisted logic. I think you can do it, though, so I'd love to see you try again. =]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 9, 2010 12:57:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2010 12:57:53 GMT -6

*strokes chin* Hmm, I was afraid this might happen after I read my post - although it's the first time someone ever told me I was too serious... it's kind of funny ^^. But I'm not giving up !! I'll delete this post and make my new app when it is done.
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 9, 2010 12:58:53 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Aug 9, 2010 13:23:24 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
You don't have to delete it. Just edited it, and post here saying you have edited it.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 13, 2010 7:34:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 13, 2010 7:34:42 GMT -6

OOC: *roars in annoyance* I've been so busy this week, I'm not sure I managed to put enough madness into this one, but here goes nothing... Also, it's longer than before because of what I just said. Sorry.

The city of New Ozai had probably never been this quiet. Ever since the Fire Nation took over, liveliness had been removed from the giant cake and world’s greatest super slide that this mountain had become upon the creation of the city. Hanging in the air, trapped inside a metal coffin attached to a chain, with only his old face, fuzzy beard and crown of white hair showing, the king of Omashu seemed to be very concerned about the situation. In fact, his green eyes were narrowed a bit, as if he was focusing on something very important. Maybe whatever he was looking at was the answer to all his troubles. His right eye, slightly bigger that the left, widened as his eyelid shook a little. What if…

‘’DOWN UNDER THE THIRD CHUTE FROM THE RIGHT, NEXT TO THE LADDER !! I SPOTTED YOU !’’ He shouted with a wide grin missing a few teeth. At the spot he just mentioned, a Fire Nation soldier got startled by this sudden shout and looked around him to see the source. ‘’My sight and skills are sharp as ever. Nobody can beat me at hide-and-seek. Not inside my own city.’’ He said to himself. Below him, near a wall, a soldier who was probably standing guard turned around and shouted at him. ‘’Hey ! Keep quiet over there !!’’ Bumi raised an eyebrow, leaning his face a bit to see the person in question. ‘’Well, I’m sorry you had to overhear this, but it’s true ! I have reigned over this city for probably longer than you’ve lived.’’ He replied, looking to the side in a somewhat pouting fashion ‘’But I suppose you have a fire to put out… or a tank-train to catch… or bigger fish to fry… so, I’ll just go take a stroll around in my box !’’

Of course, that got him a ‘he’s crazy’ motion from the soldier down there, who went back to duty, but Bumi was only smiling at this sight. It wasn’t his fault, he just loved messing with people one way or another. As for this game of hide-and-seek, he’d figured, since he probably had the best point of view of the whole city, and his century plus a decade old eyes hadn’t given in to blindness yet, it was just perfect for him to play with the soldiers of the city. That’s what it meant to open your eyes to the possibilities. Senility had nothing to do with the way he was acting - although it did not go the other way either. Moreover, this sight-seeing allowed him to take a good view of the city, in preparation for the moment he would have to strike back - he already knew all about the city, but this helped him know where to strike exactly.

But in the meantime, he just talked to the curious soldiers who passed by underneath him. ‘’A hundred years ago, this city was a giant game for me. There was always something interesting around the corner or atop the next chute. Ever since I was born, I’ve always found fun in here.’’ He was saying. Bumi’s entire story was one of fun, especially those times he used to hang out with his good Air Nomad friend Aang and use the chutes as super slides, or explore the sewers and see who got the most purple Pentapi stuck on them - he always won, for some reason. That was until the accident with the giant squid that-

‘’Wait a second. There’s no such thing as a squid underneath the ground… right ?’’ The soldier asked. Bumi had another of his laughters cut with random snorts, while looking down at the man. ‘’Excellent ! You’ve passed my test to figure out if you were following what I said or not.’’ He explained with another grin that missed a few teeth. The soldier had an unamused face. ‘’…But I only asked how you were doing.’’ He pointed out. Bumi tilted his head to the side. ‘’Exactly !’’ He replied with a somewhat crazed voice, still grinning. ‘’And I was only answering you as best as possible, thinking you would want to know how I was doing throughout my life to be able to compare !’’ At the end of this bit of explanation, he looked to the right while thinking out loud. ‘’Of course, since you’re only patrolling to make sure I’m still here, you have no need to ask about my entire story.’’ His green eyes then looked to the left. ‘’Although, if you get to know about it now, it will save you the trouble of asking later when you actually have a fish to fry.’’ He then looked up ‘’But that is assuming you are a Firebender, which I am not quite sure. So…’’ A few seconds of reflection passed, during which someone, somewhere, coughed. Finally, the Earthbending king looked back down at the soldier. ‘’I guess I’m a little hungry. You wouldn’t happen to have Jennomite on you ?’’

Needless to say, the soldier sighed and left. Just as Bumi was about to tell him about that time he saw Aang again, after a hundred years of absence. Years during which a lot had happened, during which he became wiser - and crazier at the same time - more powerful, and became the king of Omashu, without doubting a single time that his friend had survived the Air Nomads genocide. He knew that just as Earthbending followed Neutral Jing, the world was waiting and listening before the return of the Avatar was needed. And when it did occur, inside his own city, the mad genius exerted himself at reminding the Airbender of their past friendship, while also making sure he and his lemur friend would be ready for what they would have to face… in his own way. Unfortunately, not so long afterwards, the Fire Nation came to invade the city.

As he watched the soldier leave, Bumi remembered that day. He was inside the palace at that moment, busy throwing rocks for Flopsie, his pet gorilla-goat, to go fetch - the palace was largely wide enough for it to move freely around without causing disturbances - when he suddenly heard loud noises of crashing. He was surprised to see that it was a Fire Nation invasion force. Omashu had stood untouched for a hundred years, and now the enemy was knocking hard on the gate. His entire army was prepared to fight back, however Bumi did no such thing. ‘’I am going to do… nothing !’’ He ordered, and let them invade. Surely he alone could have held them off with his massive bending powers, but he preferred to laugh and snort while the enemy invaded, and his men stood down without understanding a thing. It was all part of the plan.

Actually no… It was all part of the game. And there weren’t even casualties ! This was the best surrender to an invasion in the entire history !! There was only one thing he regretted, though…

Being imprisoned up here without his proper dressing. The king dearly missed his wide purple robe and weird hat. He was certain that his comrades from the White Lotus - even the stern Pakku - would agree that it was better than simple Earthbender garments, despite being in such a thin box. Although Iroh and Piandao might have different opinions about the hat, since the master swordsman was the only one out of the four who still had hair on top of his head. And that was no trivial feat for a man his age… Bumi looked down after this little moment of reminiscence and called out to the leaving soldier. ‘’Wait ! There’s something very important I need to ask of you !!’’ He shouted. The soldier stopped, apparently mulling it over, and then turned round, looking up at the prisoner. ‘’Could you please…’’ Bumi began, his eyes trembling in concentration and seriousness, making the soldier’s eyes do the same. ‘’…have a Pai-Sho game with me ?’’

Last edit by Deleted: Aug 13, 2010 7:35:17 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Aug 17, 2010 21:01:46 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Sorry for the wait on this Joychi. I apologize.

Anyway, I do want to say this is better than the last one. There is more madness/randomness in this one. Provided that you work on being more random, I think you would do fine.

Remember, on that condition. :)

Two more and he's yours.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 17, 2010 21:21:10 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Karena's pretty much said everything I was thinking. It was well written, you touched more on the loony that is Bumi --though I think it really could've been expanded on-- but if you work on bringing that side of him out, then you'll make a wonderful nut I mean, King. =D So, for you:

One more!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 17, 2010 21:21:33 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 17, 2010 21:54:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 17, 2010 21:54:57 GMT -6

I feel it is necessary to find a good balance between randomness & wisdom for Bumi, and I agree with both Karena & Toph that you could use a little more random to find that balance. However, I think you can do it. For lack of a graphic on my part....:

STAMP

[groupstamp]

<kami edit;; thar you go. =P just modify the post to see how i did it! Joychi, when you see this, send one of us a PM and we'll get it all moved and the taken canons updated.>
Last edit: Aug 17, 2010 21:57:15 GMT -6